Open thread: Obama inauguration

posted at 11:01 am on January 21, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Today will likely be a slow news day, except for the one big event taking place in Washington DC today — the ceremonial inauguration of Barack Obama for his second term as President.  Four years ago, nearly two million people crowded into the Mall for President Obama’s first inaugural address.  Today, organizers are trying to manage expectations for a much lower turnout.  How much lower?  Fox’s Carl Cameron reports that organizers predict a falloff of as much as 75% from the first inauguration:

“They expect that in fact it could be significantly smaller,” said Fox News reporter Carl Cameron. “Instead of 1.8, four years ago, They have actually lowered their crowd estimates. Originally they were saying, 600 to 800,000. Yesterday we were informed organizers think maybe closer to 500 to 700 [thousand]. Perhaps only a quarter of the size of four years ago.”

I suspect that the crowd will be a little larger than that.  This sounds a bit like sandbagging, a way to claim later that the crowd exceeded expectations as a way to pump up Obama’s standing momentarily. However, since Obama has already taken the oath — yesterday, as required by the Constitution — perhaps this will seem even more anticlimactic than it already is:

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Obama takes the oath of office at 11:55 am ET, according to the schedule, but there are plenty of events already taking place, so tune in right away if you want to catch, say, Chuck Schumer deliver opening remarks at 11:30. (Interesting program note: They’re giving James Taylor five minutes to sing “America the Beautiful.”) If you want to watch this live, CBS News has an embeddable video stream, posted below. If you want to watch it without commentary, I’d suggest C-SPAN.

If you find yourself unexcited by all of this, don’t worry — you’re not alone. Even Dana Milbank is unenthused about this “tepid rerun”:

Four years ago, hundreds of thousands of people flooded the capital, sleeping on floors and lining the streets so that they could be part of history: the inauguration of the first black president, who had the promise of being a transformational figure that could bring hope and change to a broken political system.

That messiah never came, and a sluggish economic recovery overshadowed his term. Obama was reelected less because he inspired the nation than because he discredited his opponent. Most Americans still think that the country is headed in the wrong direction, and just one in five trust their government to do the right thing.

Much of this says less about Obama than about the times. But the president manages to make his own presidency seem smaller by his frequent invocations of our greatest president. Obama, who launched his first presidential campaign in the place where Abraham Lincoln delivered his “House Divided” speech, will place his hand Monday, as he did in 2009, on the Bible Lincoln used for his 1861 inauguration. …

Lincoln’s second inaugural had the lines many Americans still know by heart: “judge not, that we be not judged,” and “fondly do we hope, fervently do we pray,” and, “With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation’s wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.”

Talk about managing expectations ….

Inviting comparison to that moment inevitably makes Obama’s second-term program, as he outlined it last week — “making modest adjustments to programs like Medicare” and “closing loopholes in our tax code” — seem little. At his news conference Monday, Obama vowed: “I intend to carry out the agenda that I campaigned on — an agenda for new jobs, new opportunity and new security for the middle class.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

If it was between watching this and sticking my tongue to a frozen pole.

I’d do the pole.

No way no how!

gophergirl on January 21, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Those bangs are just wrong. Michelle, were not in high school anymore, though you apparently still are.

HopeHeFails on January 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM

gophergirl on January 21, 2013 at 11:02 AM

you sound promiscuous…

nonpartisan on January 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Term Two: Now the real fun begins.

cane_loader on January 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM

HopeHeFails on January 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM

hey lets keep it classy…the inauguration is not about partisanship, its about celebrating America

nonpartisan on January 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Comment deleted by user, to save his ‘comment posting privileges’.

. . . . . . . . . . . .BLEEP!

listens2glenn on January 21, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I’m skipping it too. First one I haven’t watched since I was 6 years old. Instead, I’m going to grind the venison I shot with my semi-automatic rifle into hamburger.

brotherdok on January 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM

nonpartisan on January 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I remember the jerks chanting “Na na na na, na na na na, hey, hey hey, goodbye” to GWB.

You people have broken all bounds of civility, so enjoy this steaming cup of STFU.

cane_loader on January 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Yes! I’m excited. “Four more wars! Four more wars!”

levi on January 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Is there something going on in DC today..?

d1carter on January 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM

the inauguration is not about partisanship, its about celebrating America

nonpartisan on January 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Welcome to America! You must not have been here for the last 4 years.

VegasRick on January 21, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I’m not even watching. I will be spending most of the day in quiet desperation contemplation.

BigGator5 on January 21, 2013 at 11:07 AM

In my Hollywood movie, that bible would burst into flames and consume him and everyone around him right there on live tv.

Harbingeing on January 21, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Sorry not going to watch or listen to this lying man! Don’t do so any other time and sure not today!
L

letget on January 21, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Ed, you’re watching it so I don’t have to, right?

Thanks!

petefrt on January 21, 2013 at 11:09 AM

This is the only video I have watched re: Obama’s Inauguration

redguy on January 21, 2013 at 11:09 AM

It’s like the Great Barnum circus luring the rubes to pay ticket money by promising to show a talking animal. If the circus comes to the same town again, the ticket sales will inexplicably drop.

Archivarix on January 21, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Today, organizers are trying to manage expectations for a much lower turnout.

But they will still leave a bigger mess then they did four years ago….
Kinda like what Obama will do to America with “4 more to destroy”.

redguy on January 21, 2013 at 11:11 AM

The Hopey/Changey/Copey Democrat Demoralization Second Term Tour,
of FundaMentally TransFormational, Socialist Screwing Up America!!

canopfor on January 21, 2013 at 11:12 AM

HopeHeFails on January 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM

My first thought was Jr High. She’s desperate.

Fenris on January 21, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Harbingeing on January 21, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Poof!

VegasRick on January 21, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Present.

rogerb on January 21, 2013 at 11:13 AM

************** DESTROYER PART DEUX ********************

Reuters Top News ‏@Reuters

Obama looks “to finish what we started” as second term begins http://reut.rs/13UIsHA

canopfor on January 21, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Weird look on Michelle’s face.

pat on January 21, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I think I will turn TV on at 9:00 PM tonight to watch Castle. Otherwise nada.

Dasher on January 21, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Those bangs are just wrong. Michelle, we’re not in high school anymore, though you apparently still are.

HopeHeFails on January 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I thought Michelle looked sexy before the “new doo”, and I still think she looks sexy . . . but that’s all the credit I give her.
YOU’RE ALL ENTITLED TO MY OPINION.

listens2glenn on January 21, 2013 at 11:14 AM

****Bitterly Not Clinging To My TV ****

canopfor on January 21, 2013 at 11:15 AM

It’s going to be a long 4 years. The guy is truly an America-hating, despicable piece of refuse. I hope he fails in every single way.

sauldalinsky on January 21, 2013 at 11:15 AM

The novelty has worn off, the second time around isn’t as historic. Hopefully, the pain Oligula inflicts will finally hit liberals square in the face the next four years.

Liam on January 21, 2013 at 11:16 AM

listens2glenn on January 21, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Are we talking about Michelle Malkin or Michelle Bachmann?

Archivarix on January 21, 2013 at 11:16 AM

100 comments or bust…? I thought nobody was going to watch. Will Ed provide updates?

22044 on January 21, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Ummm.. nonpartisan. Sorry. I’m incapable of being magnanimous. Why is thus even a thread? Are conservatives closet masochists?

Illinidiva on January 21, 2013 at 11:16 AM

********************* OUCHaRoo ***************************

Sacramento mayor cancels inauguration trip to Washington, D.C. to focus on attempt to save Kings – @sbnation

4 mins ago from http://www.sbnation.com by editor

canopfor on January 21, 2013 at 11:17 AM

YOU’RE ALL ENTITLED TO MY OPINION.

listens2glenn on January 21, 2013 at 11:14 AM

We are all upset about the reelection but don’t start drinking heavily this early in the day. It’s bad for you.

VegasRick on January 21, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Yes! I’m excited. “Four more wars! Four more wars!”

levi on January 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Oh, you want the Romney inaugauration. Sorry, that’s been canceled due to lack of votes.

chumpThreads on January 21, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Maybe a lot of Obama voters have already turned on him, after losing their jobs, taking fewer hours, or taking home smaller paychecks since November 6.

We can only hope.

22044 on January 21, 2013 at 11:18 AM

The only thing good that can come from this is, he will be such a disaster he can supplant Carter as the worst modern president and remind people to not vote Democrat for the next 30 years.

Tater Salad on January 21, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Yesterday, as we watched football, my girlfriend said that she thought Moochelle’s bangs looked cute.

I just stayed silent. We have not talked politics at all, and I’m almost afraid to ask, but some little things… and the way she tries not to judge people at all, no matter their actions.. man, I’m afraid she voted for 0bama.

Maybe I’ll chalk it up to her having been a hairdresser at one point, and she was commenting on the hair…. and the hair only.

One of the compromises in our relationship is that she does not follow politics, and barely follows the news, so we are opposite in that. In a way, it helps give me balance, because we are compatible in other areas. But…..

Hmmm….. devil in disguise?

cane_loader on January 21, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Could not care less.

Bmore on January 21, 2013 at 11:20 AM

YOU’RE ALL ENTITLED TO MY OPINION.

listens2glenn on January 21, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Lol – what’s up l2g?

22044 on January 21, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Oh, you want the Romney inaugauration. Sorry, that’s been canceled due to lack of votes common sense and the ability to think for themselves.

chumpThreads on January 21, 2013 at 11:18 AM

VegasRick on January 21, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Oh dear it seems that bho/mo are having problems getting people to buy tickets to inaugural ball?

L

letget on January 21, 2013 at 11:21 AM

listens2glenn
on January 21, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Are we talking about Michelle Malkin or Michelle Bachmann?

Archivarix
on January 21, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Malkin and Bachmann get a lot more credit from me, than that.

A LOT more

listens2glenn on January 21, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Seems Moochelle ran out of Jeri-Curl.

Tater Salad on January 21, 2013 at 11:22 AM

May his days in office be short. Heart attack or cancer or something.

0bama must go.

cane_loader on January 21, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Shame on you.

SnarkVader on January 21, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I thought this happened yesterday.

forest on January 21, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I can’t wait to miss all of it!

Delsa on January 21, 2013 at 11:23 AM

SnarkVader on January 21, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Go pound sand, freak.

22044 on January 21, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Why is Rick James standing next to Obama? Is he performing later?

HumpBot Salvation on January 21, 2013 at 11:24 AM

*********OuchaRoo Part Deux **************

Well,….Kevin Maurice Johnson (born March 4, 1966) is the current mayor of Sacramento,
is a…..

….Political party Democratic

canopfor on January 21, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Do we really have to wait until tomorrow to discuss what a “lying sack of crap’ he is?

Tater Salad on January 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM

FORE!

more years.

great.

Time to get Deee-runk…

trubble on January 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Malkin and Bachmann get a lot more credit from me, than that. A LOT more.

listens2glenn on January 21, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I couldn’t, even for a moment, assume that any sane person would refer to the Mooch as “sexy” unless extremely intoxicated. I’d do a female hyena first – better shape, less slime, and cleaner eating habits.

Archivarix on January 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM

***Political Car Race ***?!!

The Associated Press ‏@AP

Historian Leo Ribuffo: “Second inaugurals are often a kind of victory lap speech in a lot of ways”: http://apne.ws/VKNCC0 #inaug2013 -MM

canopfor on January 21, 2013 at 11:27 AM

cane loader. Then we’d be stuck with dementia Joe.

Illinidiva on January 21, 2013 at 11:27 AM

listens2glenn on January 21, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Lol – what’s up l2g?

22044 on January 21, 2013 at 11:20 AM

The prices of AR-15s, .223 Rem shells, tribulation food, and multiple “heavy metals” (especially gold).

listens2glenn on January 21, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Tater Salad on January 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Night Owl on January 21, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Night Owl on January 21, 2013 at 11:27 AM

you’re disgusting and should get a temp ban

nonpartisan on January 21, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Open thread: Obama inauguration coronation

TxAnn56 on January 21, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Tater Salad on January 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Night Owl on January 21, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Did we ever stop ?

listens2glenn on January 21, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Can we just ban all liberal trolls?

Illinidiva on January 21, 2013 at 11:31 AM

If you must:

Results for #inaug2013

canopfor on January 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I’m glad I’m at work.
While confident in the power he wields, Obama also knows that he is a lame duck….and that makes him all the more uninhibited…and dangerous.

As we have been experiencing since his re-election, the gloves are off, and he is going to do whatever he can to “radically change” our country into a socialist nation.

The only things that will save us are:

1. Our system of Checks and Balances, which our founders so brilliantly put in place.

2. The independence-fueled resistance of the American people.

3. The Grace of God.

We are never defeated unless we give up on God.- Ronald Reagan

kingsjester on January 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Why is Rick James standing next to Obama? Is he performing later?

HumpBot Salvation on January 21, 2013 at 11:24 AM

You should be asking yourself “Why isn’t Mitt Romney taking the oath of office today?” But if snarking about Michelle makes you feel better, then you’re every bit the loser you’ve displayed yourself to be on this website.

chumpThreads on January 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Can we just ban all liberal trolls?

Illinidiva on January 21, 2013 at 11:31 AM

No room for dissenting thoughts!!! hail hit..

nonpartisan on January 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I grow weary if the “keep it classy” mantra, Its done precious little to further the conservative cause or to rescue the nation from those bent on its destruction. When the opposition has no rules of engagement, you (I, we) cannot abridge our response to appear morally or politically gentle or correct. War is an ugly thing, however often times it is essential to the preservation of liberty.

Viper1 on January 21, 2013 at 11:33 AM

We can only hope.

22044 on January 21, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Was just talking to my sister in NC last night. She is a manager of a national fast food restaurant. According to her, everyone’s hours have been cut back to 28 max a week, and they are hiring more people who will also not have benefits to make up the difference. She said morale among the hourly workers has never been as low. Yep, it’s going to be a great four years.

Night Owl on January 21, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Old/busted:

…if you’re going to distort my comment, at least try to do so with a modicum of honesty.

chumpThreads on January 21, 2013 at 9:38 AM

New two-hours-later hotness:

Yes! I’m excited. “Four more wars! Four more wars!”

levi on January 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Oh, you want the Romney inaugauration…

chumpThreads on January 21, 2013 at 11:18 AM

rogerb on January 21, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Fox News Poll:

Obama Approval 47%
Obama Disapprove 47%

Seems he really is bringing the country together.

Tater Salad on January 21, 2013 at 11:34 AM

“Since Obama keeps trying to compare himself to Lincoln, I would just like to celebrate America today by hoping that his second term turns out exactly the same as Lincoln. How’s that?”

Nightowl, I can’t stand Obama and what he really stands for either but your comment is totally out of line. Wishing death upon any President is beyond the pale.

susandiane311 on January 21, 2013 at 11:34 AM

His financial plan is taking advantage of any osmosis that happens. The media certainly will give him credit.

tomas on January 21, 2013 at 11:34 AM

hey lets keep it classy…the inauguration coronation is not about partisanship, its about celebrating [Obama's destruction of] America

nonpartisan on January 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM

TxAnn56 on January 21, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I’m celebrating the inauguration with cleaning my handguns and AK-47, replete with folding stock and flash suppressor.

The Count on January 21, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Malkin and Bachmann get a lot more credit from me, than that. A LOT more.

listens2glenn on January 21, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Archivarix
on January 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I can’t agree with you on the “better shape”. But concur on the other two thing.

listens2glenn on January 21, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Night Owl on January 21, 2013 at 11:27 AM

you’re disgusting and should get a temp ban

nonpartisan on January 21, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I fail to see where this would lead to any type of ban..

Viper1 on January 21, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Do you guys have to cover this? I haven’t watched Fox since Saturday night because the coverage of the Obama inauguration is unbearable. I guess there is no place to hide :(.

p_incorrect on January 21, 2013 at 11:36 AM

chumpThreads on January 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Ahh..poor widdle thing. It’s not my fault the Mooch looks like a tranny Rick James impersonator. I feel bad for her….but hey Barry digs it, so more power to her.

Let me put it to you this way. Go phcuk yourself, you POS. The only loser here is you and your like-minded libtards like nonpartisan who worship at the altar of Obama.

HumpBot Salvation on January 21, 2013 at 11:37 AM

That’s silly. They’ll turn a criminal into a martyred victim in no time, and the grandchildren of our grandchildren will be learning “Heritage of Obama” in every class. The dog-eating scum should swing from the rope but I’d rather have the court do so than a mob or an assassin.

Archivarix on January 21, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Good point.

Night Owl on January 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM

rogerb on January 21, 2013 at 11:34 AM

When you come up with an original thought, please, do keep it to yourself.

chumpThreads on January 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM

only reason I’m going to try to catch any of it is my daughter is a Screaming Eagle and will be in the parade.

redmama on January 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM

So Sauron Obama retains his hold on Mordor on the Potomac…

SWalker on January 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Shame on you.

SnarkVader on January 21, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Shame on him. He’s tearing down a country that took a lot of years and a lot of blood to build. I don’t wish that his term ends like Lincoln. I do hope that he does not serve it out, preferably by impeachment and conviction, or, failing that, incapacitating health issues.

I value America enough that I’m not going to wish a man well who is destroying her.

Would you send Hitler a birthday card, and be nice to him just for that one day?

cane_loader on January 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM

you’re disgusting and should get a temp ban

nonpartisan on January 21, 2013 at 11:29 AM

HUH!!

canopfor on January 21, 2013 at 11:39 AM

That’s what CGI and Photoshop are for.

Winston Smith III is on it right now down in the basement of Minitruth.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 21, 2013 at 11:40 AM

When you come up with an original thought, please, do keep it to yourself.

chumpThreads on January 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Well he could tell you to FO but that would not be too original either as most of us here have told you the same thing.

VegasRick on January 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM

some of the comments on this thread are absolutely vile…I hope Ed and Allah take note

nonpartisan on January 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM

nonpartisan on January 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM

That may be the stupidest thing you’ve ever said here at HotAir (couldn’t say about democratunderground).

Not to mention the most hypocritical.

And this “inauguration” is about celebrating one person – as you would know if you’d get off your knees and stop licking his spittle from the floor.

Solaratov on January 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Ed, you’re watching it so I don’t have to, right?

Thanks!

petefrt on January 21, 2013 at 11:09 AM

2nd that

can’t handle the love fest by the lsm….

watching a little netflix instead

cmsinaz on January 21, 2013 at 11:42 AM

How about Chavez? Should we send him a get-well card? A birthday card?

Should we send Fidel Castro the same? How about Vlad Putin? Should we have sent doctors to try to heal Stalin? How about a prayer vigil for Chairman Mao?

0bama is no better for America than they are/were.

cane_loader on January 21, 2013 at 11:42 AM

All I know is that there are some great episodes of NCIS on…(that I haven’t seen twelve times already) much more interesting to me

(scum sucking pigs stealing MORE of my taxes!!!)

Vntnrse on January 21, 2013 at 11:43 AM

susandiane311 on January 21, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Since when? I will say that I am somewhat ashamed of myself for actually saying it, and upon reading Archivax’s comment, I have already walked it back, because he did have a good point.

Night Owl on January 21, 2013 at 11:43 AM

you’re disgusting and should get a temp ban

nonpartisan on January 21, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I fail to see where this would lead to any type of ban..

Viper1 on January 21, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Meh, typical Marxist mentality, say anything that doesn’t praise their messiah and they want you sent to the nearest gulag.

SWalker on January 21, 2013 at 11:43 AM

you’re disgusting and should get a temp ban

nonpartisan on January 21, 2013 at 11:29 AM

well okay, how about doing what FDR did within three months of his final inauguration? Is that better?

DanMan on January 21, 2013 at 11:43 AM

nonpartisan on January 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM

\

One comment is probably over the line. The rest? We love America. 0bama hates America. Therefore, we hate 0bama. It’s that simple.

cane_loader on January 21, 2013 at 11:44 AM

For the record, I hope that, like Carter, President Obama enjoys a long, healthy life and can often read or watch proper-perspective news reporting thirty years later regarding his time in office.

rogerb on January 21, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Yawn.

Ward Cleaver on January 21, 2013 at 11:44 AM

hoping that his second term turns out exactly the same as Lincoln. How’s that?”

susandiane311 on January 21, 2013 at 11:34 AM

susandiane311:

To make your assertion,I do think,an S,has to be added to

Lincoln,as Lincolns,or,Lincoln’s for you to
complete your “Projection”!

Jus say’n!!

canopfor on January 21, 2013 at 11:45 AM

nonpartisan on January 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM

You could always ban yourself and save Ed and AP the trouble.

SWalker on January 21, 2013 at 11:45 AM

listens2glenn on January 21, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Good response. Sobering, but good.

22044 on January 21, 2013 at 11:46 AM

HumpBot Salvation on January 21, 2013 at 11:37 AM

President of the United States of America, Barack Hussein Obama.

chumpThreads on January 21, 2013 at 11:46 AM