Cuomo abortion bill outrageous, says … Democrats for Life

posted at 9:01 am on January 21, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Are there such people as pro-life Democrats? We had a few in Congress a few years back, as I recall, but then they voted for the ObamaCare bill without language that permanently protected taxpayers from funding abortions.  Nevertheless, there still seem to be a significant number of Democratic voters who remain pro-life, even if there doesn’t seem to be many Democratic politicians.  One group in New York, Democrats for Life of America, is outraged over a new abortion-expansion proposal from Governor Andrew Cuomo in what is already arguably the abortion capital of the nation, which would eliminate parental notification requirements and allow non-doctors to perform abortions:

By promoting one of the most expansive abortion bills in American history, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has opened a civil war on two fronts: with his church and with elements of his own party.

Cuomo is pushing for a massive expansion of access to abortion in the state, including lifting restrictions on third-trimester abortions, allowing non-doctors to perform the procedure, and enshrining a fundamental right to “terminate a pregnancy” in New York state law.

Democrats for Life of America deemed the proposed bill “the most sweeping abortion legislation in the nation.”

The Democratic governor introduced the bill to cheers during his January 9 State of the State address, shrouding it in the name of “women’s equality.”

“The abortion language would allow late-term abortions, allow non-doctors to perform abortions, and supersede any reasonable restrictions such as parental notification,” the group stated.

“It is out of touch with the views of most Americans, out of touch with the views of most Democrats, and could hamper real reform for women’s rights,” the Democratic group concluded.

Democrats for Life offer a few points for Cuomo to consider when making such proposals:

First, there are 21 million Democrats who self-identify as pro-life and otherwise much diversity within our Party on this issue of abortion.

That diversity of opinion is as follows:

• 61% of Democrats support parental consent for minors seeking abortion (Gallup, 2011);
  • 60% of Democrats support a 24-hour waiting period for women seeking abortion (Gallup, 2011);
  • 84% of Democrats support informed consent (Gallup, 2011);
  • 49% of Democrats support an ultrasound requirement (Gallup, 2011);
  • 59% of Democrats support a ban on partial-birth abortions (Gallup, 2011).

We didn’t hear much from this majority during the “Julia” debate, though. Instead, we are hearing from the traditional opponents of abortion — the Catholic Church, and Republicans.  My good friend Deacon Greg Kandra delivered a powerful homily yesterday on the subject of the proposed law, reminding his congregation of some very uncomfortable facts about abortion in America and in New York specifically:

1.2 million abortions a year – roughly double the number of 40 years ago.

The total number of abortions since 1973: 54, 559,000—and climbing.

In New York City today, 40% of all pregnancies, nearly half, end in abortion.

Among minorities, it’s as high as 60%.

In some neighborhoods, it’s 67%.

And that’s just the beginning. To some, it seems, that’s not enough.

In Albany two weeks ago, the governor of this state proposed an abortion bill that threatens to make New York the bloodiest state in the union.

It would permit unlimited late term abortion on demand – right up to the ninth month.

It would allow people who are not doctors to perform abortions.

It would declare that the “state shall not discriminate” against the right to abortion, a declaration that could threaten the very existence of Catholic hospitals. Long Island alone is home to six hospitals that could be crippled by having Medicare funds withheld if they refuse to comply.

If enacted into law, this bill would declare that abortion is a fundamental right that cannot be denied. No parental notification for minors, no limits on taxpayer funding of abortion, no limits on late-term abortions.

The bishops of New York warn of the danger to religious liberty inherent in this proposal to make abortion a “fundamental right,” and blast Cuomo for his attempt to link the bill to efforts against human trafficking:

Governor Andrew Cuomo’s re-packaging of an extreme abortion bill into a so-called ‘women’s agenda’ is a desperate attempt to push through an abortion expansion that’s been around for six years and has failed to gain traction as a stand-alone bill. Make no mistake, this bill, first championed by Eliot Spitzer, is radical and far out of the mainstream, even by the standards of New York, a state with an abortion rate twice the national average. It will permit more late-term abortions, allow non-doctors to perform abortions, and will preclude any reasonable restrictions on abortion like parental notification. Moreover it would permit the state to pull the operating certificate of Catholic hospitals and agencies that ‘discriminate’ by not performing or referring women for abortions.

Sound familiar?

The extreme nature of the bill has seriously limited its support in the Legislature. So now the governor is attempting to tie it to important initiatives such as helping victims of domestic violence and human trafficking, and ending pregnancy discrimination in the workplace. He believes the ‘all-in’ strategy will make it harder to oppose. The public and lawmakers should not be fooled. We must not let victims of abuse and discrimination be held hostage to Governor Cuomo’s ideologically driven political agenda, an agenda that is extremely harmful to mothers, infants and religious liberty.

Looks like Cuomo has adopted Barack Obama’s cramped reading of the First Amendment to imply that it only applied to the four walls of a church.

This comes at an interesting moment.  The Catholic Church started a nine-day campaign of prayer in connection to the 40th anniversary of Roe v Wade to end abortion and to provide comfort to those victimized by it.  The bishops are already organized for this fight.  Meanwhile, one Catholic blogger over the weekend shared a very painful part of her life to express appreciation for the effort:

What happened next was sheer panic. I never wanted to have an abortion, I was just stupid and believed there was no other choice. No other way. And it was just a clot. A big menstrual clot. That’s what they told me. Yet that glass container told me otherwise. And I suddenly felt every urge to run from the room screaming, but I was frozen in place. When a staff member came back into the room she found me still standing there clutching that sheet and staring at the vacuum.

Something inside me clicked off and I mentally shut down. I allowed her to guide me to the table and the procedure was started. When the abortionist [I will never call them doctors] came into the room he didn’t even acknowledge me but when he wheeled that vacuum over toward the table and switched it on I sat upright and tried to jump off the table. No hell no, I thought. But it was too late.

And this is what I remembered this morning. My first waking thought that greeted me at dawn. The memory of the “nurse” growing impatient with me and the abortionists barking at me to lay still. And then my ears where filled with the wet suctioning sound of that hideous vacuum aspiration machine.

I had completely forgotten, until this morning, that when it was all over I made myself look at that thing again. As the staff member held my arm and steadied me out of the room I reached over and yanked the sheet off again. I made myself look at that blood filled glass canister. Somewhere in their was my child and he/she deserved to have me be haunted with the memory of what I had done and where I had left him/her. I remembered thinking to myself, “Don’t you ever forget what you’ve done. You don’t deserve to forget”.

But I did forget. Not right away. I was suicidal for months after, drinking and consuming every pill I could find. I took the entire contents of mine and my roommate’s medicine cabinet one night. All I did was sleep for two days straight and no one checked on me. I think it was during that time that I eventually managed to bury those memories.

For whatever reason they chose today to pop back up. But instead of feeling hopelessly lost in that old dark abyss something different overcame me. Not a peace. No. I don’t think that I will ever know true peace. It was a comforting feeling. Like a hundred people praying for me right at that exact moment. Then I checked my email and I realized that they were. Today marks the beginning of the 9 Days of Prayer, Penance and Pilgrimage sponsored by USCCB.

Be sure to read it all, and if you’re so inclined, join us. Heck, a bunch of us may even be Democrats, but we all want to change hearts to end abortion — and stop a culture of death from turning it into a secular sacrament.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I thought the point of roe v wade was so that no one had to have back alley abortions any more and they would be done by doctors. Now this bill will allow non doctors to perform them so what is the point then of roe v wade

wakey74 on January 21, 2013 at 11:17 PM

wakey74 on January 21, 2013 at 11:17 PM

A clinical, institutionalized environment is more appealing than a back-alley, to a self-serving woman.

Plus, if it’s done in a medical facility, they can collect dead babies (possibly even live premies) in a controlled environment for some kind of horrible experiments, that I suspect are going on.

Hows that for paranoia?

listens2glenn on January 21, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Dude, I am what the media refers to as a right-wing nut: pro-gun, anti-government, and a sane immigration policy.

I don’t see it as a harm at all. I see it as part of humanity learning to live in harmony with the planet we live on.

thuja on January 21, 2013 at 4:06 PM

You are a complete head case and I fully support the government taking your guns away from you.

Maddie on January 22, 2013 at 1:29 AM

thuja on January 21, 2013 at 4:06 PM

What Cuomo is stating, is that in his state, a mother may terminate her child as late as her due date. If you’re really okay with this, I have to tell you that the planet would indeed be better off without you.

America is slowly dying. And if this becomes the popular mentality, let it slip away because it won’t deserve to go on.

smoothsailing on January 22, 2013 at 2:20 AM

lol. Like they did in 2010 right? You binary narrow-minded thinking conservatives will never learn will you? STAY THE HECK OUT OF WOMEN’S VAGINA. Anyway what do i care? Makes winning elections much easier for my side.

HotAirLib on January 21, 2013 at 9:22 AM

A full term baby being killed is worth an lol because it helps you win elections? It takes every ounce of my being to not wish some painful harm befall you monsters like you.

smoothsailing on January 22, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Here’s a link to the opening salvo by the NY state Catholic conference.

There first response is to alert the congregations. Cuomo cannot stop this in the churches.

“The state Catholic Conference condemned the bill in a memo, saying, “It goes well beyond Roe.”

“This bill says that abortion is fundamental and thus untouchable – no regulations on abortion, ever. No parental notification for minors’ abortions, no limits on taxpayer funding of abortion, no limits on late-term abortions, no informed consent for pregnant women seeking abortion,” it stated. “None of the commonsense regulations enacted by the vast majority of states and supported by large majorities of the public would be allowed in New York.”

The Conference presented a point-by-point deconstruction of the legislation…”

The Bishops will order letters like this to be read at every mass. They will order the instruction to be passed along repeatedly and discussed as to action.

Aint’ nothin the liberals can do about it because this is church doctrine and they will preach it till they are blue in the face…

Nobody expected French citizens to rally across France to defend the justice of traditional marriage for children…

Cuomo will pay a steep price as he is painted the new face of infanticide in the pulpits.

workingclass artist on January 22, 2013 at 2:47 AM

oops…the link

Cuomo’s extreme abortion bill creates a civil war with Democrats, Catholics…

workingclass artist on January 22, 2013 at 2:48 AM

They added this…
“The bill endangers the religious liberty of Catholic hospitals and other institutions.

While the bill contains limited conscience protection, that protection is ambiguous and inadequate and is extended only to individual health providers who do not wish to “provide” abortions (protection that is already guaranteed by Civil Rights law.) What is not provided in the bill are protections for institutional providers, such as religious hospitals and other agencies that do not wish to be involved with abortion. The bill declares that “the state shall not discriminate” against the exercise of the fundamental right to abortion in the “provision of benefits, facilities, services or information.” In other words, it would permit state regulators, such as the State Health Department or State Insurance Department, to require support for abortion from any agency or institution licensed or funded by the state.

The bill could be used to undermine the state’s maternity programs.

In a similar way, these beneficial programs, which are working well to reduce infant mortality, could be ruled “discriminatory” for favoring childbirth over abortion, and be denied state benefits if this bill were to become law…”

workingclass artist on January 22, 2013 at 3:01 AM

BTW, Obama omitted “under God” when he said the Pledge of Allegiance today. Hmmm So did Mrs. Evers. Hmmm.

Since the Declaration of Independence reminds us that we only get our rights from Nature’s God, I guess one could reasonably assume Obama just threw out all his rights, by officially rejecting that God?
Gosh, he has as much protection to exercise his rights now as an unborn.

Don L on January 22, 2013 at 4:44 AM

we all want to [ ... ] stop a culture of death from turning [abortion] into a secular sacrament.

- uh, too late ?

williampeck1958 on January 22, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Are there such people as pro-life Democrats?

No. Next question.

olesparkie on January 22, 2013 at 8:16 AM

“Abortion in 20 minutes or the next one is FREE!”

joe btfsplk on January 22, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Don L on January 22, 2013 at 4:44 AM

You are absolutely correct.

One of the reasons liberals reject divine rights is that they want to be the ones deciding who has what rights.

MelonCollie on January 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Interesting how liberals think a girl should have the inalienable right to kill her child without parental input, even if she is only 12 or 13 herself, but God forbid a 20 year old soldier wants to have a beer…

Also, if abortion is to become a fundamental right, unconstrained by the age of the person exercising it, then there are plenty of other “rights” which parents currently can exert over their children, which will go by the wayside.

Which of course is probably part of their agenda, along with that horrid UN treaty on children’s rights.

LibraryGryffon on January 22, 2013 at 3:33 PM

HotAirLib on January 21, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Since the election your posts have been devoid of thought or sense. Your comments confirm you are not a thought, but an appetite.

itsspideyman on January 22, 2013 at 5:30 PM

How totally unnecessary. Getting an abortion in NY is already as easy as buying a pack of cigarettes. Any political capital Cuomo earned by not raising taxes in NY has just been lost. Goodbye Presidential ambitions. Andrew can now join The Fat Man in the “I coulda been a contender” competition.

teacherman on January 22, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Getting an abortion in NY is already as easy as buying a pack of cigarettes

Are you sure you want to use that analogy? It’s probably harder to buy cigs these days.

Mr. Grump on January 24, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Are there such people as pro-life Democrats?

As few as there are gay conservatives. There ARE a handful; some right here on HA.

But when you’re part of a movement that is not only anathema to conservative belief but actively despises conservatives and may be working to sue/bully them in to compliance…it’s a pretty hard circle to square.

MelonCollie on March 17, 2013 at 11:43 PM