Cuomo abortion bill outrageous, says … Democrats for Life

posted at 9:01 am on January 21, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Are there such people as pro-life Democrats? We had a few in Congress a few years back, as I recall, but then they voted for the ObamaCare bill without language that permanently protected taxpayers from funding abortions.  Nevertheless, there still seem to be a significant number of Democratic voters who remain pro-life, even if there doesn’t seem to be many Democratic politicians.  One group in New York, Democrats for Life of America, is outraged over a new abortion-expansion proposal from Governor Andrew Cuomo in what is already arguably the abortion capital of the nation, which would eliminate parental notification requirements and allow non-doctors to perform abortions:

By promoting one of the most expansive abortion bills in American history, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has opened a civil war on two fronts: with his church and with elements of his own party.

Cuomo is pushing for a massive expansion of access to abortion in the state, including lifting restrictions on third-trimester abortions, allowing non-doctors to perform the procedure, and enshrining a fundamental right to “terminate a pregnancy” in New York state law.

Democrats for Life of America deemed the proposed bill “the most sweeping abortion legislation in the nation.”

The Democratic governor introduced the bill to cheers during his January 9 State of the State address, shrouding it in the name of “women’s equality.”

“The abortion language would allow late-term abortions, allow non-doctors to perform abortions, and supersede any reasonable restrictions such as parental notification,” the group stated.

“It is out of touch with the views of most Americans, out of touch with the views of most Democrats, and could hamper real reform for women’s rights,” the Democratic group concluded.

Democrats for Life offer a few points for Cuomo to consider when making such proposals:

First, there are 21 million Democrats who self-identify as pro-life and otherwise much diversity within our Party on this issue of abortion.

That diversity of opinion is as follows:

• 61% of Democrats support parental consent for minors seeking abortion (Gallup, 2011);
  • 60% of Democrats support a 24-hour waiting period for women seeking abortion (Gallup, 2011);
  • 84% of Democrats support informed consent (Gallup, 2011);
  • 49% of Democrats support an ultrasound requirement (Gallup, 2011);
  • 59% of Democrats support a ban on partial-birth abortions (Gallup, 2011).

We didn’t hear much from this majority during the “Julia” debate, though. Instead, we are hearing from the traditional opponents of abortion — the Catholic Church, and Republicans.  My good friend Deacon Greg Kandra delivered a powerful homily yesterday on the subject of the proposed law, reminding his congregation of some very uncomfortable facts about abortion in America and in New York specifically:

1.2 million abortions a year – roughly double the number of 40 years ago.

The total number of abortions since 1973: 54, 559,000—and climbing.

In New York City today, 40% of all pregnancies, nearly half, end in abortion.

Among minorities, it’s as high as 60%.

In some neighborhoods, it’s 67%.

And that’s just the beginning. To some, it seems, that’s not enough.

In Albany two weeks ago, the governor of this state proposed an abortion bill that threatens to make New York the bloodiest state in the union.

It would permit unlimited late term abortion on demand – right up to the ninth month.

It would allow people who are not doctors to perform abortions.

It would declare that the “state shall not discriminate” against the right to abortion, a declaration that could threaten the very existence of Catholic hospitals. Long Island alone is home to six hospitals that could be crippled by having Medicare funds withheld if they refuse to comply.

If enacted into law, this bill would declare that abortion is a fundamental right that cannot be denied. No parental notification for minors, no limits on taxpayer funding of abortion, no limits on late-term abortions.

The bishops of New York warn of the danger to religious liberty inherent in this proposal to make abortion a “fundamental right,” and blast Cuomo for his attempt to link the bill to efforts against human trafficking:

Governor Andrew Cuomo’s re-packaging of an extreme abortion bill into a so-called ‘women’s agenda’ is a desperate attempt to push through an abortion expansion that’s been around for six years and has failed to gain traction as a stand-alone bill. Make no mistake, this bill, first championed by Eliot Spitzer, is radical and far out of the mainstream, even by the standards of New York, a state with an abortion rate twice the national average. It will permit more late-term abortions, allow non-doctors to perform abortions, and will preclude any reasonable restrictions on abortion like parental notification. Moreover it would permit the state to pull the operating certificate of Catholic hospitals and agencies that ‘discriminate’ by not performing or referring women for abortions.

Sound familiar?

The extreme nature of the bill has seriously limited its support in the Legislature. So now the governor is attempting to tie it to important initiatives such as helping victims of domestic violence and human trafficking, and ending pregnancy discrimination in the workplace. He believes the ‘all-in’ strategy will make it harder to oppose. The public and lawmakers should not be fooled. We must not let victims of abuse and discrimination be held hostage to Governor Cuomo’s ideologically driven political agenda, an agenda that is extremely harmful to mothers, infants and religious liberty.

Looks like Cuomo has adopted Barack Obama’s cramped reading of the First Amendment to imply that it only applied to the four walls of a church.

This comes at an interesting moment.  The Catholic Church started a nine-day campaign of prayer in connection to the 40th anniversary of Roe v Wade to end abortion and to provide comfort to those victimized by it.  The bishops are already organized for this fight.  Meanwhile, one Catholic blogger over the weekend shared a very painful part of her life to express appreciation for the effort:

What happened next was sheer panic. I never wanted to have an abortion, I was just stupid and believed there was no other choice. No other way. And it was just a clot. A big menstrual clot. That’s what they told me. Yet that glass container told me otherwise. And I suddenly felt every urge to run from the room screaming, but I was frozen in place. When a staff member came back into the room she found me still standing there clutching that sheet and staring at the vacuum.

Something inside me clicked off and I mentally shut down. I allowed her to guide me to the table and the procedure was started. When the abortionist [I will never call them doctors] came into the room he didn’t even acknowledge me but when he wheeled that vacuum over toward the table and switched it on I sat upright and tried to jump off the table. No hell no, I thought. But it was too late.

And this is what I remembered this morning. My first waking thought that greeted me at dawn. The memory of the “nurse” growing impatient with me and the abortionists barking at me to lay still. And then my ears where filled with the wet suctioning sound of that hideous vacuum aspiration machine.

I had completely forgotten, until this morning, that when it was all over I made myself look at that thing again. As the staff member held my arm and steadied me out of the room I reached over and yanked the sheet off again. I made myself look at that blood filled glass canister. Somewhere in their was my child and he/she deserved to have me be haunted with the memory of what I had done and where I had left him/her. I remembered thinking to myself, “Don’t you ever forget what you’ve done. You don’t deserve to forget”.

But I did forget. Not right away. I was suicidal for months after, drinking and consuming every pill I could find. I took the entire contents of mine and my roommate’s medicine cabinet one night. All I did was sleep for two days straight and no one checked on me. I think it was during that time that I eventually managed to bury those memories.

For whatever reason they chose today to pop back up. But instead of feeling hopelessly lost in that old dark abyss something different overcame me. Not a peace. No. I don’t think that I will ever know true peace. It was a comforting feeling. Like a hundred people praying for me right at that exact moment. Then I checked my email and I realized that they were. Today marks the beginning of the 9 Days of Prayer, Penance and Pilgrimage sponsored by USCCB.

Be sure to read it all, and if you’re so inclined, join us. Heck, a bunch of us may even be Democrats, but we all want to change hearts to end abortion — and stop a culture of death from turning it into a secular sacrament.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Okay, I’m a little behind on events here. Cuomo intro’d this Jan 9 and Cardinal Egan responded the same day with a letter to Cuomo.

So, I’ll run right bast the extremely disappointed milestone and head right on over to the outraged milestone. I’m at a loss for words right now, and filled with an animosity towards the hierarchy of the Archdiocese of NY for letting this deadly poison be generated in the Church and, while being duty bound to keep the faith and Church untainted, failing to eject it.

Dusty on January 21, 2013 at 10:17 AM

No offense to Catholics, but this is yet another reason why I’m not a Catholic. The hierarchy is no longer Christian when they don’t have the spine to stand up for God’s law.

njrob on January 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Unfortunately, there is no way a Republican can win a statwide race in New York. We need to concentrate on states we can win and New York isn’t one of them.

bw222 on January 21, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Any Pub elected here would be a liberal, anyway. It doesn’t much matter any more. New York is a lost cause, as you said, so let’s see what happens here and in CA in the liberal Utopias they think they’re creating. (hint: look at Detroit for a glimpse of the future on a grander scale)

Liam on January 21, 2013 at 11:07 AM

In short Vatican II was botched…and the results have been alarming.

Not at all. Not one, not the tiniest little dogmatic truth was changed in Vat II, but the Godless left ensconced withing God’s Church, took off with Marxist liberation theology (Rev. Wrights politics) and called it the “spirit of Vatican II)

Yup, nothing new here; those high priests and pharisees that did in Christ, and that Satan fellow called that forbidden fruit a way of being “like God!” Neither worked out too well….

Don L on January 21, 2013 at 11:08 AM

If there is a hell, so-called Catholics like Cuomo, Sebelius, Pelosi and Kerry have a great deal to fear.

bw222 on January 21, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Despicable. The GOP needs to field someone to take this bastard on.

blatantblue on January 21, 2013 at 9:06 AM

lol. Like they did in 2010 right? You binary narrow-minded thinking conservatives will never learn will you? STAY THE HECK OUT OF WOMEN’S VAGINA. Anyway what do i care? Makes winning elections much easier for my side.

HotAirLib on January 21, 2013 at 9:22 AM

The funny thing is that HotAirLib is probably absolutely clueless to the irony.

Hey, genius! You know who is “in” the women’s vaginas? The abortionist!

Even in the womb, we’re not safe from leftists.

There Goes The Neighborhood on January 21, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Safe
Legal
Rare

tommer74 on January 21, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Perfect +1000

First it was safe legal but rare. Then it became so common it was really safe and legal but now that we are going to have late term abortions with no doctor, it is just legal.

KW64 on January 21, 2013 at 11:19 AM

In celebration of Dr. King’s birthday and the President’s Inauguration:

Ms. Margaret and the Klan

There once was a woman named Margaret,
Who made Negro babies her target.
She longed to see less of them,
Courted the death of them,
Sanger, this woman named Margaret.

The wives of the Klansmen who meet
Disguised in voluminous sheet,
Gave her their attention
At secret convention
To learn of her childless technique.

Ms. Sanger was poorly impressed.
Elementary they are she confessed.
So childlike she found them,
Dumbed her talk down for them,
Sanger their arrogant guest.

The organization she ran
Has snuffed out more blacks than the Klan,
Yet people aren’t frighted,
But rather delighted,
Embracing the Parenthood Planned.

-Carrie Tomko

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 21, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Why do I think, with anti-Catholic, Catholics like he and Pelosi, Judgement Day is going into overtime?

Don L on January 21, 2013 at 10:56 AM

St. Malachy?

workingclass artist on January 21, 2013 at 11:24 AM

The wholesale murder of the MOST helpless among us is completely acceptable. But if you have a gun with 8rds youre a terrorist. Isnt there a reasonable voice anyplace within the political class that will stand up and say enough is enough? or do we have to do it the old fashioned way, the method used by Adams, Adams, Franklin and Jefferson.. The Nation is truly lost.

Viper1 on January 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Viper1 on January 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM

SCOTUS challenge or nothing.

MelonCollie on January 21, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I think it is interesting that in the protection of womyns’ vaginas, the librul dhimocrapts are progressing us back to the back alleys and coat hangers. That is exactly what Cuomo is calling for. Well, I wish him success. If there is anything this world needs is fewer New Yorkers and fewer libruls. At least this is self limiting!

Old Country Boy on January 21, 2013 at 9:37 AM

~~~~~~

Great point…same as this wonderful new Healthcare law progressing us back to masking they symptoms (pain pill), rather than fixing the problem (pacemaker)…make cars smaller and lighter in order to reduce our carbon footprint, and in the process making them less safe doesn’t really sound very progressive, either. I thought being “progressive” meant we would move forward…

ellifint on January 21, 2013 at 11:29 AM

STAY THE HECK OUT OF WOMEN’S VAGINA.
HotAirLib on January 21, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Who’s in it? Who’s sticking high-pressure vacuum tubes in it and sucking out incipient life? Fu*king moron.

rrpjr on January 21, 2013 at 11:39 AM

In short Vatican II was botched…and the results have been alarming.

Don L on January 21, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Vatican II allowed for the liberals to misuse the intent of the reforms and to undermine the teaching authority of the Pope by attempting to reduce the Papacy to a symbol and separate papal influence by confining it to the Vatican. Liberals also sought to undercut Catholic Identity that bound Catholics together.

I won’t even go into the awful music.

But that’s how I see it….I also think this is changing and that gives me hope.

workingclass artist on January 21, 2013 at 11:46 AM

[njrob on January 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM]

No offense taken.

Dusty on January 21, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Cuomo abortion bill outrageous, says … Democrats for Life

Wow, that pic of Andrew…he wears more makeup than a
Bronx prostitute……

hey., you don’t think he’s….No, he COULND’T BE!

ToddPA on January 21, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Don’t all you critics know, this legislation, like the 23 executive orders from Obama, is for the children.

I wonder how many kids have or will write to Obama about stopping abortion and when he will parade them out so he can sign more legislation.

katablog.com on January 21, 2013 at 12:02 PM

[njrob on January 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM]

No offense taken.

Dusty on January 21, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Great Blog…just sayin’

workingclass artist on January 21, 2013 at 12:06 PM

[njrob on January 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM]

My GF’s family is Catholic, and no offense taken at all. When my pastor had a sit-down with us both and told her some of the more recent decisions made by upper-level Catholic hierarchy, she about fell out of her seat. Literally.

I have polite disagreements with their theology, but their leadership is absolutely rotten.

MelonCollie on January 21, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Why do democrats hate black children?

CurtZHP on January 21, 2013 at 12:08 PM

It is so rare that the Democrats show some sense that we live on finite world where decisions are made about how resources are distributed. Mostly the Democratic view of government is a flying unicorn dispersing skittles and government benefits. I am happy that the Democrats are right about something, about the abortion issue. I am better off that the world isn’t a simple place where I can simply root for the GOP as bearer of truth. I wish Cuomo the best of luck with his bill.

And about the woman who wants to make a public spectacle of regret over having had an abortion, I want her to know that millions of women have had abortion with next to no guilt. If ever decides that her public self-shaming is getting old, I’d suggest she reads some stories of women who feel their experience getting an abortion improved their lives.

thuja on January 21, 2013 at 12:08 PM

thuja on January 21, 2013 at 12:08 PM

And of course the best decision to make is to rut like a monkey, expending money for BC all the way, then run to the nearest Klanned Parenthood for a taxpayer-funded bailout when your latest “Friend with benefits” forgets to wrap his diminutive dong.

Tell you what, liberal ghoul: I’ll gladly let you keep funding abortion with my money if you require the procedure to include sterilization. Because if a non-raped ‘woman’ is admitting to the world that she don’t want your future progeny, she either has no self control or her family is obviously complete. Deal?

MelonCollie on January 21, 2013 at 12:13 PM

thuja on January 21, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Not screwing without protection would have improved their lives … and without butchering a helpless child.

darwin on January 21, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Dusty on January 21, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I am extremely disappointed also. I would love to see a truly pure Catholic Church with 10,000 adherents in America. Keep the faith, Catholic hierachy!

thuja on January 21, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Interesting stat that 50% of people were against ultrasounds before an abortion.

Because it really is hard to go through with murder if you have to look at the victim up close. Yeah, can’t be having any of that.

CorporatePiggy on January 21, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Because they want it to be a “choice” but not an informed choice.

melle1228 on January 21, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Sounds like their election strategy….

StompUDead on January 21, 2013 at 12:17 PM

While I firmly believe that Roe v. Wade will never be overturned, have New Yawkers NO decency?
Having been there more than once, I say Nope. What an utter disgrace to humankind.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 21, 2013 at 12:19 PM

CorporatePiggy on January 21, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I suspect the situation even worse than THAT.

IMHO that 50% is liberals who are so ghoulified they would at worst be grossed out by seeing it on the ultrasound…their real objection is that they don’t want any delays in getting bailed out from their sluttery.

MelonCollie on January 21, 2013 at 12:19 PM

MelonCollie on January 21, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Dude, I am what the media refers to as a right-wing nut: pro-gun, anti-government, and a sane immigration policy. I would to ask you to review the Todd Akin Senate bid and think about how helpful your own language is.

thuja on January 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM

When are the Catholic Cardinals in this country going to wise up and start excommunicating these so-called Catholic politicians who support abortion? Where is the Pope? Why are they allowed to sanction murder and still receive the sacraments of our church? It is very disgusting and I’m sure has turned many people away from Catholicism! If Catholics want to run for public office, they should be told that if they support abortion, they will be excommunicated, no excuses!!Support life!!!

Jersey Dan on January 21, 2013 at 12:25 PM

CorporatePiggy on January 21, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Because they want it to be a “choice” but not an informed choice.

melle1228 on January 21, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Sounds like their election strategy….

StompUDead on January 21, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Yep!

workingclass artist on January 21, 2013 at 12:25 PM

thuja on January 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I would ask you to review the difference between an elected Republican politician sticking his foot in his mouth on national television, and a private citizen responding to a statement from another private citizen.

I don’t expect all conservatives to be anti-abortion crusaders, thuja, but to call yourself a “right-wing nut” after your previous statement has “troll butt-covering” stamped all over it.

MelonCollie on January 21, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Furthermore thuja, if 99% of abortions were done by ultra-left liberal adult women, I would let the law stand unopposed simply to let the Marxist scum hoist themselves by their own petard.

But abortion has been pushed as a ‘right’ to everyone right down to irresponsible teenagers and poor minorities who have to choose what utilities to pay each month. It is an unconstrained disaster that has resulted in around 54 MILLION dead babies-to-be. The number alone is horrible, and it cannot possibly represent just craven left-wing loons.

MelonCollie on January 21, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Scientists find microbes on Mars and declare that they’ve discovered “life”. The same scientists think it’s soooooooooo silly to view the fetus (baby) growing in a woman as life.

We have a 9/11 each day (approx 4k).

But keep sleeping church. Keep sleeping people. Worry about which hollywood idiot is sleeping with which hollywood idiot. Worry about who won the stupid American Idol contest. Worry about nonsense, idiots.

Hannibal on January 21, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Hannibal on January 21, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Church is not sleeping…church is either being ignored outright or run out of steam. 40 years and just a few state laws of note to show for it really wear on people.

MelonCollie on January 21, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I wonder who influences Cuomo’s thinking more. Is it his father ex. Gov. Mario “The Pius” Cuomo, or is it his “wife” Sandra Lee?

diogenes on January 21, 2013 at 12:41 PM

MelonCollie on January 21, 2013 at 12:33 PM

And you want in particular irresponsible teenagers and the poor to not get abortions? The pro-life movement does more harm to the family in America than even Hollywood and socialist policies.

thuja on January 21, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Dusty on January 21, 2013 at 11:57 AM

workingclass artist on January 21, 2013 at 12:06 PM

MelonCollie on January 21, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Thank you all. We’re all brothers and sisters in Christ and it pains me to see His Word being ignored for ‘practical considerations.’

njrob on January 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM

thuja on January 21, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I want it on record that the libtard troll thuja has openly stated that socialists are better than pro-life orgs.

MelonCollie on January 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM

thuja on January 21, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Plenty of psychopaths and mass murderers, but I repeat myself, would agree with you about the lack of remorse.

njrob on January 21, 2013 at 12:44 PM

thuja on January 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM

You’ve always been a leftist. Now you’re just lying.

njrob on January 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM

As to ex-communication….

A fairly concise explanation of the canon law at the link for anyone who’s interested.

Personally I doubt ex-communication would have any effect on people like Cuomo,Biden,Pelosi et,al.

These folks live in the world of the rationalization of moral relativism….the ends justify the means because they delude themselves that Hell is an abstract concept invented by men.

These folks have no faith and answer to no higher moral authority.

They are false and their actions reveal their falsehood.

workingclass artist on January 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM

thuja on January 21, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Visited reality lately?

darwin on January 21, 2013 at 12:49 PM

MelonCollie on January 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Why you make things up like that? I am curious about why you think it is good thing to do that when anyone reading can see I didn’t say that.

thuja on January 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM

[Jersey Dan on January 21, 2013 at 12:25 PM]

It requires work on the Cardinals’ part. They can’t just excommunicate. They need to follow a process which is controversial, both in the here and now, as well as from past practice. I cannot believe any are ignorant of Catholic teaching or their duty to the Church. So, one has to search elsewhere for the reasons for their inaction.

No doubt some succumb to avoidance and deem it prudence. It may be they are lazy, set in the comfort of their position and don’t wish to rock the boat, as it were; more clearly they just don’t want to risk their material positions in life.

In reflecting on the Cardinal’s letter to Cuomo, I can understand the congenial and level tone, considering it as a respectful one from one institution to another. But having issued it, there must also be action taken by the Cardinal within the Institution of the Church, and this is where the Cardinal looks to have abdicated his duty to the Church as required of his position. It is also why, and where, I find his inaction so objectionable.

Dusty on January 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM

You’ve always been a leftist. Now you’re just lying.

njrob on January 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Reagan said something about people who agree with you 80% of the time. Reagan correctly realized that not everyone follows every jot and tittle in the party line.

thuja on January 21, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Catholics voted for Cuomo, they voted for Obama.

The outraged Catholics are obviously a minority. Even though some strain to portray the situation differently.

Moesart on January 21, 2013 at 1:06 PM

thuja on January 21, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I would disagree.

Every voice of every woman who speaks honestly about the remorse they have for acting in the lie against their natural instincts given to them in natural law is a voice of courage….and a voice of truth that is heard in the cacophony of the lie.

If any woman who has had an abortion seeks to offer a penance whether this be a public penance or a private penance through confession,community action, and political involvement on the pro-life agenda or a combination of both actions….this is worthy and should be encouraged.

We are all of us sinners.

Penance for the sinner is how we reconcile ourselves to God and how we make amends.

This charity Project Rachel offers hope for the afflicted…and a means for penance and guidance to reconciliation.

workingclass artist on January 21, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Dusty on January 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM

It would be nice to see a return of consistent jurisdictional authority.

It seems that every time a Bishop threatens to with hold the eucharist from a heretical politician….another bishop in another diocese pops up to counter that.

But perhaps this new unity amongst the UCCB will change that a bit….It’s still too early to tell?

workingclass artist on January 21, 2013 at 1:13 PM

The Democrap agenda: death and taxes.

Akzed on January 21, 2013 at 1:27 PM

[workingclass artist on January 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM]

You are likely right. I, too, doubt they would recant their views and repent their actions. But excommunication is only the final act in a process of inquiring into heresy, request for clarification of views and actions, admonitions to change and then, finally excommunication, if they don’t, is a process that the Church is duty bound to take for such a public display by a member of the faith.

But they will have a great affect on the faithful in that they fulfill their duty to them by following the process required of them. It is a moral imperative they protect faithful from sowers of evil and division within the Church’s community and not doing so is not just sinful, but renders the Church on Earth meaningless.

Dusty on January 21, 2013 at 1:32 PM

[workingclass artist on January 21, 2013 at 1:13 PM]

If, in referring to the “new unity amongst the UCCB”, you mean the opposition to the mandate for birth control coverage, I don’t know much about it or their reasoning. On the surface, and from the distance I’ve observe it, I can’t help but feel it is both inept and conveniently handled for the spiritual benefit of only the leaders of the Church. As for the faithful, they’ve thrown them to the dogs of the State long ago.

Dusty on January 21, 2013 at 1:45 PM

workingclass artist on January 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I know we are on the same page, but for others, I’ll argue that it probably wouldn’t have any effect on them as far as their continued actions, but what would it say to the rank and file in the pews or those who use the inaction of the hierarchy as reasons for rejecting the Church?

And for those who do that, just no that even if some with authority in the Church neglect their duties, the Church itself is not silent. While people like Cuomo have excommunicated themselves by their actions, there is still the requirement laid down in Canon Law for the priest and bishops to defend the Eucharist. It comes from the instructions, Give not that which is holy to dogs.

And it has been so since the beginning as directed in the Didache.

But every Lord’s day gather yourselves together, and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure. But let no one that is at variance with his fellow come together with you, until they be reconciled, that your sacrifice may not be profaned.

And upheld to this day in Canon Law 915 Those who have been excommunicated or interdicted after the imposition or declaration of the penalty and others obstinately persevering in manifest grave sin are not to be admitted to Holy Communion.

Not only that, but the priest is helping these obstinate sinners to compound their sins by giving them free range to ‘eat condemnation to themselves’.

It is the responsibility of the priests and most importantly the bishops to stop this scandal. May God have mercy on them if they don’t start.

Wake up, bishops!!!!

The floor of hell is paved with the skulls of bishops. ~St. John Chrysostom.

pannw on January 21, 2013 at 1:46 PM

just *know*

Ugh.. Should have finished my coffee.

pannw on January 21, 2013 at 1:47 PM

HotAirLib on January 21, 2013 at 9:22 AM

All of you WOMEN share one vagina? What kind of thinking is that?

JohnFLob on January 21, 2013 at 1:58 PM

You’ve always been a leftist. Now you’re just lying.

njrob on January 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Thuja only cares about rights when it comes to the gheys. After that she/he/it is completely okay with someone seeing others as property to dispose of at will.

Funny thing about gheys supporting abortion.. If a ghey gene is ever discovered; they would be up there with Down Syndrome babies being aborted, because despite the leftists “tolerance”- they really want perfect babies and ghey is not perfect.

melle1228 on January 21, 2013 at 2:09 PM

thuja on January 21, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Very few feel no guilt.. and many more feel like the womyn’s movement has lied to them about it being akin to being a mole removed.

melle1228 on January 21, 2013 at 2:11 PM

– and this is the state that just passed an obnoxious gun control bill because of “Sandy Hook”???

Someone in the legislature ought to brink up that there is a “Sandy Hook” in their state every couple minutes.

We need to include in the stats for people killed, those killed by “scalpel” or “vacuum” !!

KenInIL on January 21, 2013 at 2:14 PM

So I’m wondering if a killer can now use the abortion reasoning “This person was intruding on my life style” to justify what we used to call murder.

It seems pResident Obama thinks keeping another person from intruding on your life style is a valid reason for killing someone (abortion). So when will the first court case use Roe v. Wade to justify a shooting instead of just knifing someone to death??

KenInIL on January 21, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Dusty on January 21, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Pope Benedict XVI has begun within the clergy and the orders. He has begun to strip Catholic Associations of Catholic Affiliation if they do not comply with church teaching.

It’s a logistically huge geographic undertaking…but he has begun because this is being reported in catholic press and on catholic blogs.

Although he meets resistance, which kinda comes with the mitre…he has remained focused and continues to exert this authority as well as use his remarkable gifts of persuasion.

Hopefully…he has begun a reform that will continue beyond his pontificate & I think he hopes to insure this with his program of ordaining more conservatives as bishops and cardinals.

He has been a remarkable Pope imho….

workingclass artist on January 21, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Hannibal on January 21, 2013 at 12:35 PM

MelonCollie on January 21, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I respectfully disagree. I have seen almost zero evidence that the Churches are ready to stand against the normalizing of the gay culture or the on-going slaughter of the innocents. How many of the Christians vote? When they do, how many support the Democratic Party? You are kidding yourself to think that the Church cares beyond what is minimally expected.

Hannibal on January 21, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Wake up, bishops!!!!

The floor of hell is paved with the skulls of bishops. ~St. John Chrysostom.

pannw on January 21, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I pray the Bishops recover their backbones as shepherds…and speak in unison.

workingclass artist on January 21, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Many “Catholic” Politicians have been excommunicated by violating the teachings of the Church. The Church doesn’t publicize them however. While I can understand the Church hoping that the pol in question will repent and come back into the fold, I do think they should be much more forceful in countering the falsehoods and distortions of Church teachings proclaimed by these so called Catholics. Not that the press would report them anyway.

Iblis on January 21, 2013 at 2:41 PM

The Catholics should simply consecrate their hospitals and universities as ‘churches.’ If that doesn’t work disobey the law or, as a last resort, shut them down and donate all the equipment to needy third world countries.

None of this will happen since most Catholics do not really believe or follow Catholic teaching on sex an procreation.

Annar on January 21, 2013 at 2:42 PM

These appeared at the inaugural…

It’s an uphill battle

workingclass artist on January 21, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Annar on January 21, 2013 at 2:42 PM

The Obama administration has decided to define worship as confined to the four walls of a church.

Catholic tradition and historical practice denies this definition since the works of faith have always coincided with the affiliated charities acting in concert with the church. It’s how we have always networked so to speak, since the first “home church” loaned to St. Peter in Rome…And Obama can’t change that.

Catholics will fight as we’ve always fought….and we will outlast the current Nero as we have outlasted all the Neros.

“Tradition holds that the Pudens, the man Paul listed along with Linus, volunteered his home to Saint Peter as the first domestic church building of Rome. Pudens’ father was the Roman senator Quintus Cornelius Pudens and his mother was Saint Priscilla—two of the first converts of Saint Peter. The family allowed Saint Peter to use Quintus’ senatorial chair or cathedra for liturgical ceremonies. Hence, Pudens’ home was the first cathedral of Rome. Here Pudens and his daughters Pudentia and Praxedes hosted the Apostles.

This home became known as the ecclesia pudentiana—the Pudentian Church. It is revered as the oldest Catholic church in Rome. From the time of Saint Peter until the conversion of Constantine in A.D. 313, this location was the home and headquarters of the Popes…”

workingclass artist on January 21, 2013 at 2:55 PM

[workingclass artist on January 21, 2013 at 2:28 PM]

Thanks for that, WCA, I appreciate the info. Still, I would like to see some action on the Pope’s part to address the day to day events and not just formal structure issues, particularly of this magnitude.

Dusty on January 21, 2013 at 2:59 PM

He has been a remarkable Pope imho….

workingclass artist on January 21, 2013 at 2:28 PM

We are of one mind. :)

I love my German shepherd and for him I say Deo Gratias!

pannw on January 21, 2013 at 3:17 PM

thuja on January 21, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Besides, the ludicrus statement attesting knowledge of millions of other people’s guilt, I would point out the abortionists, the Nazi gas chamber officials, Stalin in his gulags and the Ukraine, Mao in China, Pol Pot,nor the folks that took down the Trade Centers, in total accounted for the slaughter of millions upon millions of innocent helpess humans and they did that without any guilt. what is your ludicrous point

Don L on January 21, 2013 at 3:23 PM

MelonCollie on January 21, 2013 at 12:33 PM

thuja on January 21, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Soooo, life is not a family value. Or maybe thuja is not a reliable guide to family values.

Irresponsible teenagers grow up, eventually. The poor don’t stay poor forever, if they’re willing to work. Killing the unborn is permanent. Doing so to avoid a temporary circumstance is irrational.

There Goes The Neighborhood on January 21, 2013 at 3:24 PM

thuja on January 21, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Evil is excusable because someone is poor or merely a sexually active teen? Don’t tell anyone who grew up in the great depression and raised their children properly that piece of moral garbage.
Evil may not be committed by anyone–poor or pope. no one may rightfully use an evil means to justify a good end-no matter how great that end.That is fundamental first grade morality. It doesn’t change because everyone is doing it. That corrupted relative morality justifies the haolocaust. Maybe elimnating Jews helped the German people feel better about themselves?
You can’t do much more harm than slaughtering 53 million innocent helpless humans in the name of convenience.

Don L on January 21, 2013 at 3:36 PM

njrob on January 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Then I’m certain you also aren’t a Christian either, because that Christ fellow personally appointed that evil Judas guy?
Maybe you’re an athiest if you’re consistent, because that God foolishly made Adam and Eve and they brought down all of us and we lost our inheritance in the nice garden, … He also made that serpent that’s still hanging around picking on God’s Church also.

Too bad for you that you are so blindly selective, you might have missed more than you could ever know.

Don L on January 21, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Don L on January 21, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Not at all. The Catholic Church has clearly lost its way and in its current form does not teach God’s Word. They refuse to call out the heathens in their midst and continue to give them tactical support. A relationship with Christ can be done on a personal level, but a Church is a necessary part of worship. A Church is where 2 or more followers come together for He is with us.

njrob on January 21, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Don L on January 21, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I don’t see it as a harm at all. I see it as part of humanity learning to live in harmony with the planet we live on.

thuja on January 21, 2013 at 4:06 PM

thuja on January 21, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Bwwwwahhha.. YOU need some psychiatric help. Even Democrats are willing to say it is a “necessary evil.”

You think killing fully term baby in the womb results in anything humane or harmonious.- you are truly $crewed in the head.

melle1228 on January 21, 2013 at 4:09 PM

thuja on January 21, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Ahh, so you’re a leftist Gaia worshipper. That explains it. You believe humanity is a parasite that must be limited before we spread and destroy the plant.

njrob on January 21, 2013 at 4:11 PM

thuja on January 21, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Behold the modern face of holocaust deniers and slavery apologists…

melle1228 on January 21, 2013 at 4:11 PM

destroy the plant.

Destroy the planet.*

njrob on January 21, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I

thuja on January 21, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Behold the modern face of holocaust deniers and slavery apologists…

melle1228 on January 21, 2013 at 4:11 PM

True that melle1228

If developed like Manhatten…the entire world’s population could fit in the geographic boudaries of the state of Texas.

Thuja bought the lie to rationalize a questionable philosophy that lacks integrity.

Meanwhile today….a prominent UK politician in snowy London wondered out loud, if perhaps there might be a little ice age happening afterall…

*face palm*

workingclass artist on January 21, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I am not Catholic so I don’t understand much of the inns and outs. I know they are strict with divorce to the point of denying Communion. I don’t see how that squares with some of the faithful openly promoting abortion and not have the same effect.

Beat me to it. Pagan worshiper. Probably attends Burning Man annually.

njrob on January 21, 2013 at 4:11 PM

CW20 on January 21, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I can’t even imagine a snarky comment here. Who the hell is ok with this??

can_con on January 21, 2013 at 5:06 PM

njrob on January 21, 2013 at 3:59 PM

ehemmm….

Just because the RCC no longer uses the tactics of Torquemada does not mean criticism of falsehoods isn’t spoken publicly, acted on within the church parishes or the that the Church doesn’t teach the word of God.

It also doesn’t mean that there aren’t plenty of good priests,monks,nuns and lay people who act as faithful teachers and have good practices within their communities.

workingclass artist on January 21, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Don L on January 21, 2013 at 3:36 PM

thuja on January 21, 2013 at 4:06 PM

The argument you raise justifies them coming after you first,after all, little innocent babies don’t use as much eco-speace and eco-things as much larger adults

Dare you wait till they’re old enough to vote if you or they should be taken first? I thought not. But it would bring harmony to the planet, and they certainly would appreciate life far more thn those that don’t–after they’re born already.

Don L on January 21, 2013 at 5:09 PM

CW20 on January 21, 2013 at 5:00 PM

It doesn’t….and many of the liberals in the clergy are old and dying out.

Conservatives are taking their place…and conservatism is gaining in the congregations.

One proof of this is the resurgence of the Latin Mass, a return to traditional architecture…and a liturgical emphasis on “First Things”

btw…The Pope now tweets in Latin as well as the other languages.

workingclass artist on January 21, 2013 at 5:13 PM

workingclass artist on January 21, 2013 at 5:06 PM

For that reason is why I go out of my way to defend the Catholic faith against attacks. There are plenty of members of the community that understand God’s Word and want to be closer to Him. My fight is with the hierarchy that refuses to cull the herd of the people that are destroying the faith by allowing people to believe whatever they choose. Cafeteria Catholics are not Catholic.

njrob on January 21, 2013 at 5:19 PM

workingclass artist on January 21, 2013 at 5:06 PM

njrob on January 21, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Pope Benedict VI would agree with you.

He has been clear with the Bishops and with Catholics.

He has said “We will be a smaller but purer church”

I don’t expect his reforms to change things overnight…what is significant is that he inspires hope to many conservatives within the RCC and he offers the support the USCCB needs to take the political actions they are beginning to take in opposition to this organized pucsht from the state. Catholics can no longer deny this assault on the church which mirrors that of Europe…And Christians of other denominations are threatened as well. This is an unprecedented attack on the US Constitution on many fronts.

People of faith must find a way to unite to preserve our constitutional rights.

workingclass artist on January 21, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Baby killers…..nuf said……….

crosshugger on January 21, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Well he did say he was going to make NY more business friendly. He just didn’t stipulate which businesses it might be.

pgrossjr on January 21, 2013 at 5:53 PM

thuja on January 21, 2013 at 4:06 PM

…………….
…………….

Puke . What an ugly person you are.

CW on January 21, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I can’t even imagine a snarky comment here. Who the hell is ok with this??

can_con on January 21, 2013 at 5:06 PM

doesn’t seem to go with the liberal meme often pounded by the media of abortion being a women’s reproductive healthcare issue does it?

workingclass artist on January 21, 2013 at 6:13 PM

STAY THE HECK OUT OF WOMEN’S VAGINA.
HotAirLib on January 21, 2013 at 9:22 AM

except to pay for the procedures of course; right?
thats what you really meant to say.

dmacleo on January 21, 2013 at 7:40 PM

In adjoining hospital operating rooms you could have mothers carrying babies of identical ages, one being saved and one being aborted, or perhaps executed is a better euphemism. Only in NY.

STL_Vet on January 21, 2013 at 8:02 PM

STAY THE HECK OUT OF WOMEN’S VAGINA.
HotAirLib on January 21, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Agreed, then there would be no need for abortions.

bgibbs1000 on January 21, 2013 at 8:21 PM

You know the other thread where everybody said he has crazy eyes? and I said no I think he is possessed. Funny… Now it looks like both.

MrMoe on January 21, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Why stop there? It’s just a mass of cells, right? So the woman should have the right to kill that mass of cells right up to the point when that mass of cells can legally cast a vote for a Democrat. After that point, killing it would just be wrong.

AZCoyote on January 21, 2013 at 8:27 PM

What a terrible human being Governor Cuomo is..seriously..if you don’t repeat in this life, you will pay in the next life for all the lives you helped to destroy..yes, Hell will be your destination without Jesus.

sadsushi on January 21, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I have to think that the vast majority of women who vote democrat and consider themselves to be pro-choice have no idea that second and third trimester abortions are as prevalent as they are. The mantra of rights and “choice” supersedes any desire to understand or face the truth of killing innocent otherwise-viable babies… regardless of when you think life starts.

MT on January 21, 2013 at 9:24 PM

AZCoyote on January 21, 2013 at 8:27 PM

How is shooting a 6 year old at Sandy Hook different than killing a 9 month fetus that is viable outside the womb? Certain persons have already come out in favor of infanticide. Actually,to continue the same logic, maybe murder isn’t really murder. People are just masses of cells. If it’s for the good of the state, why not?

talkingpoints on January 21, 2013 at 9:26 PM

We have lost our core – I’m no religious, righteous individual but this is just appalling as is the apparent lack of backbone by the Catholic Church. Whether or not you agree w/ abortion, just look at the powerful Catholics with whom O has surrounded himself: Pelosi, Sibelius, Cuomo, Kerry, and we expect to survive as a “shining light on a hill?” No way. And the innocents that will go down –

I’d hoped Cardinal Dolan was stronger – turning the other cheek may work in some instances but we are so quickly sliding to anarchy (or near anarchy) that perhaps it’s time to STAND UP and say “NO!”

We go, there’s no place left.

BTW, Obama omitted “under God” when he said the Pledge of Allegiance today. Hmmm So did Mrs. Evers. Hmmm.

Way sad. Seems to me that being a pro-life Dem is now an oxy-moron. The Democrat party left the “pro-life” movement a long time ago. One-issue voting is not what I’m saying here but life???? How can one have liberty and pursue happiness when one has no life?

MN J on January 21, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Of course. Perhaps, good dimocrat that he is, he has some pedo friends to protect. Don’t forget, it was his party that protected pedophiles with its ‘hate crimes’ legislation and then gave the bstrds Viagra with their ‘healthcare bill’. Drunk Max Baucus wouldn’t remove the language, remember? And now, their mind-molesting friends in academia are trying to normalize sex with children.

we all know that the dims hate kids; that’s why they support abortion.
Apparently, they also like pedophiles.

avgjo on January 21, 2013 at 10:11 PM

pannw on January 21, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Oh, please! Save the sanctimonious BS about self-excommunication. Yes, Cuomo and his ilk have achieved just that under Catholic doctrine. But the point is that the Church needs to distance itself from these fools. Their continued nominal membership in the Church is what gives them credibility on these issues. They use their “Catholic faith” to dissuade people from probing the morality of abortion because they act as role models for Catholics who might be persuaded by their rhetoric. Catholics justify their positions by seeing other Catholics openly support these positions. They love slapping that little description on their resume so that Catholicism is redefined by politicians with an agenda opposite to the teachings that they claim to profess. The Church is being used by them plain and simple.

blammm on January 21, 2013 at 11:01 PM