Change or stasis? Reason’s look at first Obama inaugural speech

posted at 10:01 am on January 21, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Later this morning, Barack Obama takes the oath of office for his second term, which he actually did officially yesterday, and will do ceremonially today.  Following the ceremony, a large crowd will hear Obama give his second inaugural speech, but did he fulfill the promise of his first?  Reason takes us back four years to the President’s first inaugural address, and reminds us that the “hope and change” turned out to be “stasis squared”:

“And those of us who manage the public’s dollars will be held to account, to spend wisely, reform bad habits, and do our business in the light of day, because only then can we restore the vital trust between a people and their government.”

Want to bet that today’s speech will be filled with good-government platitudes like this, too, even with the atrocious record Obama had in his first term on deficits and spending? At least Nick Gillespie remembers the first inaugural address.  Andrew Malcolm, not so much. Here’s a bit more that Andrew had to look up:

“On this day, we gather because we have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord. On this day, we come to proclaim an end to the petty grievances and false promises, the recriminations and worn-out dogmas that for far too long have strangled our politics.”

“The question we ask today is not whether our government is too big or too small, but whether it works — whether it helps families find jobs at a decent wage, care they can afford, a retirement that is dignified.”

“Where the answer is yes, we intend to move forward. Where the answer is no, programs will end. And those of us who manage the public’s dollars will be held to account, to spend wisely, reform bad habits, and do our business in the light of day, because only then can we restore the vital trust between a people and their government.”

“To the Muslim world, we seek a new way forward, based on mutual interest and mutual respect. To those leaders around the globe who seek to sow conflict, or blame their society’s ills on the West, know that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy.”

Not much to say on those goals, either, except in how Obama failed.  How many programs came to an end?  And just how has Obama’s foreign policy generated “mutual respect” for the US and the West? We got than answer in Benghazi and Cairo.

Those are both good reasons why I’ll probably skip the live broadcast and follow up via transcript later.  It’s not just Obama, though; I watched his first inauguration live, and I skipped George Bush’s second (of course, I had a different day job then, too, but wouldn’t have watched anyway).   I agree with Bob Schieffer, both in general and specifically to this occasion:

Second inaugurals are always like second weddings. The first time brings excitement, great expectations and fairy tale settings.

The second time, reality sets in, and all involved have learned nothing is quite as easy as once thought.

Even so, I can’t remember approaching Inaugural Week feeling there was less excitement in the air.

The fight over the fiscal cliff was so distasteful and ridiculous, it left me wondering not so much about the possibilities of the next four years, but whether our political system is so broken and our politicians so inept, that they — WE, actually — are no longer capable of solving our problems.

The nation remains deeply divided. The President won reelection but no mandate.

Nor did Congress. Thanks to the power of incumbents to raise money and gerrymandered districts, most of the old crowd has returned, not to great huzzahs but to a Gallup Poll that gives them a 14 percent approval rating, a historic low.

I get the sense this time that it’s like a reunion of your last high-school prom, four years after it first took place.  All the optimism of graduation has been expended, and now we’re coming back for a one-day attempt to tell ourselves that we can start over again, even after electing the same prom king and queen.  That’s a pretty good description of any second-term inauguration, which is why it’s ridiculous to spend $50 million attempting to celebrate it.  With the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday falling on the same day, we probably won’t get much news to distract us from it, though, so be prepared to spin the oldies one more time and haul the Hopenchange gown out of mothballs, if only for a day.

However, perhaps it’s not such a bad idea to put on the prom dress or tuxedo.  After all, we have just had another peaceful election in which the people have chosen their leadership, which we have conducted in an unbroken line since the 18th century.  I may not particularly like the choice that was made, but that’s what happens in a functioning democratic republic from time to time.  Perhaps we should be counting our blessings if we find such occasions to be so normal as to be boring, because plenty of people in this world can’t say the same thing.

Comments

He’s so dreamy.

Mr. Arrogant on January 21, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I just can’t understand how we lose to Chicago Thugocrat with tactical geniuses like you advising us Ed.

It really is mystifying.

harlekwin15 on January 21, 2013 at 10:06 AM

When the dishonest rule……the people groan.

Four more years of this?

Ugh.

If only my Obama Clock app was really telling me we had one hour and 50 minutes till he left office.

PappyD61 on January 21, 2013 at 10:09 AM

We can thank scumbags like HondaV65 for helping make this happen.

wargamer6 on January 21, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Let me be clear, Treason, High Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Flange on January 21, 2013 at 10:12 AM

When the dishonest rule……the people groan.

Four more years of this?

Ugh.

PappyD61 on January 21, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Well whatever lesson the Ron Paul and Gary Johnson cults were ‘trying to teach the GOP” are about to get taught in spades.

We’re gonna see gun seizures, wholesale amnesty, tax increases, regulatory fiat used as political weapon of war, and to top it all off find out if Obama can ignore the 22d amendment.

The Ogabe fraud machine will be in full swing for 2014 and if/when we lose the House we will see “The Return of Frau Botox and Thor’s Gavel.”

Reconstruction version 2.0 this time it’s personal.

harlekwin15 on January 21, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Yay! The Barack Obama Show is on … AGAIN!!!

/gag me

P.S…. Wait until Mooch begins her POTUS candidacy. And then their two daughters. We’ll be livin in ObamaLand for decades to come. This brings great joy. Blah!

Key West Reader on January 21, 2013 at 10:14 AM

“As I’ve always said, let’s move forward and lean into a brighter future by taxing people to pay their fair share, tackling the issue of rising seas, and revoking gun rights to save children. When white makes right there will be no mistake, we must do this to spread the wealth and progress with pride.”

-What did he just say?

-WHO CARES! HE’S BLACK AND AWESOME AND I JUST POOPED MY PANTS IN ECSTASY!

Bishop on January 21, 2013 at 10:15 AM

We can thank scumbags like HondaV65 for helping make this happen.

wargamer6 on January 21, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Pretty much, he wanted to see what living in a soft tyranny looked like well brother he’s gonna get it.

Of course when the GOP caves on guns, and amnesty I am in all likelihood leaving the GOP. If the GOP cannot stand for even securing the bill of rights or making our national sovereignty means as much as Mexico herself exerts on her own southern border why not just accept that we are not the pwners of the nation we are the subjects of the Imperial Federal government at best and Emperor Momjeans I at worst?

harlekwin15 on January 21, 2013 at 10:16 AM

OUT:…Hope and Change

IN:….Hope and Cope!

canopfor on January 21, 2013 at 10:16 AM

MeanWhile…………………………

weeklystandard ‏@weeklystandard

Inaugural Ball Ticket Prices ‘Slashed’ by 50%: Fox News reports that the price for Inaugural ball tickets have b… http://bit.ly/10yDuAo

canopfor on January 21, 2013 at 10:17 AM

-WHO CARES! HE’S BLACK AND AWESOME AND I JUST POOPED MY PANTS IN ECSTASY!

Bishop on January 21, 2013 at 10:15 AM

You really should not steal chumpthreads lines.

VegasRick on January 21, 2013 at 10:19 AM

OUT:…Hope and Change

IN:….Hope and Cope!

canopfor on January 21, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Got that right cano!! Since this man took office, I have lost my business, my home, my 401k, all of my savings and my husband. I am dirt poor now. Not sure how much more I can lose under this stooge, but at least I’m happy. Poor n Happy.

Key West Reader on January 21, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Debt on 01.20.01: $5,727,776,738,304.64

Debt on 01.19.09: $10,628,881,485,510.23

An increase of: $4,901,104,747,205.59 in 8 years

Debt 01.21.13: $ 16,432,631,489,854.70

Debt 01.20.09: $10,626,877,048,913.08

An increase of: $5,805,754,440,941.62 in 4 years

Bush was in office for 2,921 days and he deficit spent per day: $1,677,885,911.40.

Obama has been in office for 1,463 days (through 01.21.13) and deficit spends per day: $3,968,389,911.79

Public debt on 01.20.09: $6,307,310,739,681.66

Public debt on 01.21.13: $11,573,578,115,566.81

Obama has increased the debt held by the public by $5,266,267,375,885.15 or 83.49% – EIGHTY-THREE & 40/100 in 1,463 days.

According to Obama’s own White House figures: Eliminating the Bush tax rates on the top 2% is estimated to bring in an annual $80 billion, ceterus paribus. Ending the Bush tax rates on the top 2% will pay for approximately 7.69 days of Federal government spending. Guess who is really going to wind up paying for all of the “free stuff”? YOU. Why? Because the middle class is where the money is. The Federal government is today’s version of Willie Sutton. They rob the middle class because that’s where the money is.

Every man, woman and child’s share of the national debt is now $52,838.04. – that’s a 76.13% — SEVENTY-SIX POINT THIRTEEN PERCENT — INCREASE since Barack Obama’s Imaculation 1,463 days ago.

Total Debt = $16,432,631,489,854.70 and GDP = $15,601.5 trillion

Debt-to-GDP = 105.35%

Remember when Obama said this?

“The problem is that the way Obama has done it in the last 1,437 days is to take out a credit card from the Bank of China in the name of our children, driving up our national debt from $10,628,881,485,510.23 from the first 43 presidents.

No. 44 added $5,805,754,440,941.62 by his lonesome. So we now have over $16,432,631,489,854.70 of debt that we are going to have to pay back. $52,838.04 for every man, woman, and child.

If President Obama called President George W Bush irresponsible and unpatriotic for presiding over a $4,901,104,747,205.59 increase in the national debt over 8 years, then what does he think we should call him for spending $5,805,754,440,941.62 In 4 years?

Irresponsible and unpatriotic’ sound too mild in comparison; perhaps, “treasonous” might be a more apt description of Mr Obama’s spending.”

- Resist We Much, 21 January 2013

Resist We Much on January 21, 2013 at 10:23 AM

memo to RNC, if you would quit nominating ball-less dweebs, we would be celebrating the removal of Obama today……

SDarchitect on January 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM

May this second term include impeachment.

Bmore on January 21, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Straw men, soaring platitudes and profound cliches.

petefrt on January 21, 2013 at 10:26 AM

However, perhaps it’s not such a bad idea to put on the prom dress or tuxedo. After all, we have just had another peaceful election in which the people have chosen their leadership, which we have conducted in an unbroken line since the 18th century. I may not particularly like the choice that was made, but that’s what happens in a functioning democratic republic from time to time. Perhaps we should be counting our blessings if we find such occasions to be so normal as to be boring, because plenty of people in this world can’t say the same thing.

..on the other hand, Ed, didn’t Jefferson have something to say about a good revolution once in a while?

The War Planner on January 21, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Obama; The Best Thing for the GOP!

We now have almost a permanent majority in the House, should (haven’t we said that before) take ove rhte Senate, have 30+ governorships, nearly 25 states with full GOP control, and 30 states who voted against Obama (with 5 more by less than 2%).

Now, if he can just move a little further to the Left?

Tater Salad on January 21, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I can’t watch or listen to Obama anymore. I just can’t take it. He is such a demagogue and he makes my blood pressure go up.

TarheelBen on January 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Key West Reader on January 21, 2013 at 10:21 AM

That is what Obama should be afraid of, people with nothing left to lose.

Night Owl on January 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM

SDarchitect on January 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM

For once, I don’t blame RNC. They had such a stellar collection of misfits running that even Mitt Romney looked good in comparison. Of all the race participants only Perry looked remotely acceptable, and he managed to bury himself in the debates.

Archivarix on January 21, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Obama to the irrelevant fringe anti American conservative crowd- I Won again. Lolol. Wonderful day for the freedom loving American middle class.

HotAirLib on January 21, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Ask not what your country can do for you DEMAND IT!

Wander on January 21, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Breaking – 3 Americans confirmed dead in algeria gas plant attack, presnit douchebag parties on.

VegasRick on January 21, 2013 at 10:34 AM

TarheelBen on January 21, 2013

You are free to leave you know. I hear India is doing great things.

HotAirLib on January 21, 2013 at 10:36 AM

HotAirLib on January 21, 2013 at 10:33 AM

What planet are you from? Each time you post, I think you couldn’t possibly get any stupider yet you top yourself each time.

wargamer6 on January 21, 2013 at 10:36 AM

This is a sad day for America.We could have been swearing in another president but thanks to the low information Moorlocks with their hands out screaming for mo free sh!t.This will be the longest 4 years of my life.

jeffinsjvca on January 21, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Wonderful day for the freedom loving American middle class.

HotAirLib on January 21, 2013 at 10:33 AM

The 51% of the folks that voted this azzhole back in are not the middle class and you know it.

VegasRick on January 21, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I copied this from my FB news feed today. It’s a response to someone posting a pro-gun rights photo…

Um, this doesn’t even make sense. Which begs the question as to why the extreme gun rights advocates can’t seem to present any kind of cogent argument as to why they can’t support gun control laws that make gun ownership safer. My favorite argument is the tyranny one. Yes, good luck winning the war against a tyrannical government with rifles (automatic or no) against tanks, jets and precision munitions. This debate gets more and more ridiculous and I for one am fearful of the overwhelming lack of intellect on the side of folks who insist on having guns at absolutely any cost with absolutely no restrictions.

These people didn’t just vote for Obama… they have already surrendered to what ever he wants to do to them.

RalphyBoy on January 21, 2013 at 10:38 AM

HotAirLib on January 21, 2013 at 10:33 AM

You really do a good job of illustrating the idiot in useful idiot.

Freedom loving middle class? Obama is helping it? Really? Wow, that’s some weapon grade stupid right there. Well enjoy the inauguration for the second time of this demagogue Marxist. You will have to live in the same cesspool he is creating as the rest of us.

AZfederalist on January 21, 2013 at 10:39 AM

HotAirLib on January 21, 2013 at 10:33 AM

You’re such an a-hole.

Key West Reader on January 21, 2013 at 10:42 AM

HotAirLib on January 21, 2013 at 10:33 AM

You’re delusional. Anyone who knows anything about Obama’s background knows that he hates America – as it was founded. You don’t say you want to “fundamentally transform” something you love. And “freedom”? Don’t get me started. The Founders would be appalled at this guy. Take a look at Obamacare and tell me how that promotes freedom. Look at some of the czars he has appointed – who want to shut down Fox News and talk radio. Freedom, my ass. And most recently, he’s attacking the 1st Amendment and religious liberty – and the 2nd Amendment. You can’t promote an all-powerful, expanding central government and believe in individual liberty.

And the middle class? You better study up on your Saul Alinsky. Obama is intentionally destroying the middle class.

TarheelBen on January 21, 2013 at 10:42 AM

HotAirLib on January 21, 2013 at 10:33 AM

“Four years ago, promising a new openness, the president banned corporate giving to the inauguration, limited gifts from individuals to $50,000 and released a full accounting of donations.

This year, the sky’s the limit on gifts, corporations are good people and the official roster of donors won’t include addresses or amounts for up to 90 days. The list includes companies such as AT&T, Microsoft and Southern Co., a utility that says it gave $100,000.

The official list of contributors includes several dozen who have attended White House dinners or parties, and they get all manner of incentives to pony up again.

They could choose from a menu of packages such as the Washington Premium Partner, which for $250,000 per individual ($1 million for institutions) provides tickets to a private reception with a very important official, bleacher seats for the parade and entree to assorted other parties.”

For the little guy! Middle America! Forward!

Bishop on January 21, 2013 at 10:43 AM

That, and the sheer torture of listening to the alleged Grand Orator stumble & stammer his way through an inane speech which, at its core, will say “Republicans are obstructionist wingnuts who want to kill your granny & take away your government freebies!”

KS Rex on January 21, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Funny. Liberals are always quick to point out that the President did what he said he would do, but they do not make a distinction between acts and results.

Always keep these ideas in mind when discussing Obama’s “accomplishments”:

Obama does what he says he will do, but the results are never what he said they would be.

What Obama says he will do as remedies to cure our current difficulties are exactly what Lenin said would remedy democracy, capitalism and personal freedom. And the results have been exactly what Lenin said they would be.

When people call Obama a Marxist, they are incorrect. He is a Leninist. The MSM is mainly Marxist because they are foolish enough to believe that collectivism is the final result of economic and social evolution. Lenin knew that Marxist was nothing more than a tactical manual for destroying free societies.

A Lenin sampler:

The aim of socialism is not only to abolish the present division of mankind into small states and all-national isolation, not only to bring the nations closer to each other, but also to merge them.

The surest way to destroy a nation is to debauch its

Destroy the family, you destroy the country.

…the concentration of capital and the growth of their turnover is radically challenging the significance of the banks. Scattered capitalists are transformed into a single collective capitalist. When carrying the current accounts of a few capitalists, the banks, as it were, transact a purely technical and exclusively auxiliary operation. When, however, these operations grow to enormous dimensions we find that a handful of monopolists control all the operations, both commercial and industrial, of capitalist society. They can, by means of their banking connections.

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. (questionable attribution)

Only an armed people can be the real bulwark of popular liberty.

The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.

Hmmmmm………

ROCnPhilly on January 21, 2013 at 10:44 AM

You are free to leave you know. I hear India is doing great things.

HotAirLib on January 21, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Nah. I think I’ll stay. My 20 years of military service earned me a spot. I simply choose to not listen to Obama’s Castro-like speeches.

TarheelBen on January 21, 2013 at 10:44 AM

You’re such an a-hole.

Key West Reader on January 21, 2013 at 10:42 AM

And that’s putting it nicely. How have you been?

VegasRick on January 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM

RalphyBoy on January 21, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Take a look at the largest city in your state.

Trace the interstates that lead into and out of this town, now add in the US and State routes.

Calculate the necessity to wreck two semis per lane per ten miles per 40 mile gap into and out of the city.

The “guys with just rifles never won against the US Army” thing….

those folks don’t read much.

I am terrified of where things can go because I am trained in CoIn not because I know that the good guys always win.

The US military would have to be about 7 times its current size to deal with a distributed and dispersed insurgency.

I pray for deference to the system to hold right up until it cannot be argued that sanity can be restored.

America was glorious, and is still the best hope that the Lockeian notions of the innate beauty and goodness of man unfettered by shackles and controls of the “mighty” to do mighty things.

harlekwin15 on January 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM

TarheelBen on January 21, 2013 at 10:44 AM

For now, it’ll be interesting to see the party of “dissent is the highest form of Patriotism” proving how sincere they were with a malignant narcissist hopefully unfettered from ever facing the public to stand election again burning as much as he can in 4 years.

harlekwin15 on January 21, 2013 at 10:46 AM

TarheelBen on January 21, 2013 at 10:42 AM

And the crowd said, “Amen”

Key West Reader on January 21, 2013 at 10:46 AM

RalphyBoy on January 21, 2013 at 10:38 AM

They’re like those pod people in that old movie. Just go along, you will be really happy, it doesn’t hurt, all you have to do is give up everything it used to mean to be American.

Night Owl on January 21, 2013 at 10:46 AM

And that’s putting it nicely. How have you been?

VegasRick on January 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Doing good… Poor and Happy. That’s my new life and mantra :o)

Key West Reader on January 21, 2013 at 10:47 AM

TarheelBen on January 21, 2013 at 10:42 AM

and president Lady’s tee ain’t wanting them to grow into self-sufficiency….

he wants to recruit for Free Sh*t Army.

His economy is doing a great job.

harlekwin15 on January 21, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Oops

post corrections

Marxist —–> Marxism

“to debauch its CURRENCY”

Anyone else hate their android virtual keyboard? Aaaarghhhh!

ROCnPhilly on January 21, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Ed: I may not particularly like the choice that was made, but that’s what happens in a functioning democratic republic from time to time.

You are way to timid in this remark Ed. If you want the USA to continue having “peaceful” transitions you don’t re-elect a man like Obama. Previous Presidents were nothing like him. Previous advisors were not Stephanie Cutter and David Axelrod cutting huge bloody paths through their opponents to win the WH by completely misinforming their followers that someone like Romney was Satan.

That isn’t a recipe for “peaceful” transition to the victor. The recipe that was set by Obama is one that will destroy the “peaceful” acceptance by the defeated in future elections.

Conan on January 21, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Doing good… Poor and Happy. That’s my new life and mantra :o)

Key West Reader on January 21, 2013 at 10:47 AM

So you’re NOT going to shell out $250k towards Bark’s inauguration as other middle class Americans are doing?

Your bigotry is showing, homophobe.

Bishop on January 21, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Wonderful day for the freedom loving American middle class.

HotAirLib on January 21, 2013 at 10:33 AM

How dumb are you?

Whose Recovery?

Friday, March 30, 2012

Luxury retailers are smiling. So are the owners of high-end restaurants, sellers of upscale cars, vacation planners, financial advisers, and personal coaches. For them and their customers and clients the recession is over. The recovery is now full speed.

But the rest of America isn’t enjoying an economic recovery. It’s still sick. Many Americans remain in critical condition.

The Commerce Department reported Thursday that the economy grew at a 3 percent annual rate last quarter (far better than the measly 1.8 percent third quarter growth). Personal income also jumped. Americans raked in more than $13 trillion, $3.3 billion more than previously thought.

Yet it’s almost a certainty that all the gains went to the top 10 percent, and the lion’s share to the top 1 percent. Over a third of the gains went to 15,600 super-rich households in the top one-tenth of one percent.

We don’t know this for sure because all the data aren’t in for 2011. But this is what happened in 2010, the most recent year for which we have reliable data, and there’s no reason to believe the trajectory changed in 2011 or that it will change this year.

In fact, recoveries are becoming more and more lopsided.

The top 1 percent got 45 percent of Clinton-era economic growth, and 65 percent of the economic growth during the Bush era.

According to an analysis of tax returns by Emmanuel Saez and Thomas Piketty, percent of the gains went to the top one-tenth of one percent. No one below the richest 10 percent saw any gain at all.

In fact, most of the bottom 90 percent have lost ground. Their average adjusted gross income was $29,840 in 2010. That’s down $127 from 2009, and down $4,843 from 2000 (all adjusted for inflation).

Meanwhile, employer-provided benefits continue to decline among the bottom 90 percent, according to the Commerce Department. The share of people with health insurance from their employers dropped from 59.8 percent in 2007 to 55.3 percent in 2010. And the share of private-sector workers with retirement plans dropped from 42 percent in 2007 to 39.5 percent in 2010.

If you’re among the richest 10 percent, a big chunk of your savings is in the stock market where you’ve had nice gains over the last two years. The value of financial assets held by Americans surged by $1.46 trillion in the fourth quarter of 2011.

But if you’re in the bottom 90 percent, you own few if any shares of stock. Your biggest asset is your home. Home prices are down more than a third from their 2006 peak, and they’re still dropping. The median house price in February was 6.2 percent lower than a year ago.

Official Washington doesn’t want to talk about this lopsided recovery. The Obama administration is touting the recovery, period, without mentioning how narrow it is.

Republicans would rather not talk about widening inequality to begin with. The reverse-Robin Hood budget plan just announced by Paul Ryan and House Republicans (and endorsed by Mitt Romney) would make the lopsidedness far worse – dramatically cutting taxes on the rich and slashing public services everyone else depends on.

Fed Chief Ben Bernanke – who doesn’t have to face voters on Election Day – says the U.S. economy needs to grow faster if it’s to produce enough jobs to bring down unemployment. But he leaves out the critical point.

We can’t possibly grow faster if the vast majority of Americans, who are still losing ground, don’t have the money to buy more of the things American workers produce. There’s no way spending by the richest 10 percent – the only ones gaining ground – will be enough to get the economy out of first gear.

- Robert Reeeeeiiiiiiiich, Progressive Pygmy

“Wonderful day for the freedom loving American middle class.”

LMFAO@U!

Resist We Much on January 21, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Your bigotry is showing, homophobe.

Bishop on January 21, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Well, they DO accept EBT cards so maybe I’ll send him some of my food stamp cards. LOL

PS.. NO I am not on welfare. I’d rather eat glass than stick my hand out to the gubmint.

Key West Reader on January 21, 2013 at 10:54 AM

HAL wrote: ““Wonderful day for the freedom loving American middle class.”

First Term: Americans ‘Not in Labor Force’ Increased 8,332,000…

GALLUP: Obama’s 1st-Term Approval Rating Among Lowest of Post-WWII Presidents…

Only Carter, Ford Fared Worse…

Gallup: Obama Averages 49% Approval in First Term

Beautiful.

Resist We Much on January 21, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Ambassador Stevens had to cancel his speech at the inauguration for “health” reasons.

Bishop on January 21, 2013 at 10:55 AM

On the bright side, most of what comes out of Obama’s mouth is just a bunch of crap to keep his minions on the plantation. His follow through is only 45%, which, while bad enough, could be worse if he had any work ethic at all. We should count ourselves lucky that the little tyrant is a lazy, self-indulgent, golf loving, vacation loving underachiever.

Night Owl on January 21, 2013 at 10:55 AM

When you send Colin Powell out on Meet the Press to START things off by saying Republicans are racist where do we think this thing is going? Constructive negotiation or destruction of your opponent as subhuman and not worthy of including in America’s decisions?

The entire agenda is to destroy the GOP before their criticism takes hold and the Obama zombies wake up to the Obama admin’s awful record and bad ideas. Between the MSM and Obama controlling the bully pulpit the strategy is to recreate Nazi Germany with Conservatives the new Jews and the cult of the Dear Leader is either followed by fear of him or worship. Blamed for everything in same way we find ridiculous for the German people (supposedly educated) to have followed into madness.

Conan on January 21, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Conan on January 21, 2013 at 10:56 AM

The bright side is that as we are finally dragged under and our ties to blue states get cut by imploding economies we could concentrate on keeping the red red, offsetting the illegal immigrant invasion of Texas etc etc etc.

The flag may look a lot better with fewer stars.

harlekwin15 on January 21, 2013 at 10:58 AM

“Wonderful day for the freedom loving American middle class.”

LMFAO@U!

Resist We Much on January 21, 2013 at 10:51 AM

The stupid is strong with that one.

VegasRick on January 21, 2013 at 10:58 AM

You are free to leave you know. I hear India is doing great things.

HotAirLib on January 21, 2013 at 10:36 AM

That’s rich. Stupid but rich. The thing is all you Marxist loving statists are the ones who should leave. There are already a host of nations with the policies you desire, but only one free country with individual liberty that the US has. Wy don’t you go live in one of those countries instead of making us like them? Seems a bit selfish to me, but then what is liberalism but extreme selfishness and coveting what others have?

AZfederalist on January 21, 2013 at 11:02 AM

harlekwin15 on January 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM

You need to post here more.

Cleombrotus on January 21, 2013 at 11:03 AM

AZfederalist on January 21, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Put it a different way, “we’ll leave but we’re taking our states with us.”

Watch the fun begin, Moonbats love them some “peace through division” in Bosnia etc etc etc but get butthurt if we “evil rethuglicans” start looking at them spending our personal property in their dreams and want to hit the exits.

harlekwin15 on January 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM

You need to post here more.

Cleombrotus on January 21, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I’ve been here for years.

The Captain gets unhappy with my pointing out, as i did in 07-08 that Ogabe ain’t somehow a Dukakis that managed to get in, and Obama’s love for “America’ is not for the “America” we were born in but his plans for “Make a Wish Kid” empowered Marx.

harlekwin15 on January 21, 2013 at 11:07 AM

harlekwin15 on January 21, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I get frustrated when Ed and AP won’t acknowledge who Obama is. If you really look at some of Obama’s tactics they rely on the fact you won’t call the black man X, or you won’t call the Democrat a Socialist, even though he is. He constantly can go farther than any other Democrat because there is always the threat to paint the critic as extremist and sorry Ed you are at the top of the list when it comes to being afraid of being painted as out of the mainstream.

Conan on January 21, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Wonderful inaugural so far. Everyone looks so happy. You can tell America is adequately represented by looking at the crowd . God bless the USA

HotAirLib on January 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM

RalphyBoy on January 21, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Yep, Ralphy, I had a similar argument on Facebook: “Your small arms won’t stand up to tanks, drones and smart bombs.” So I asked how they would you explain the fighters in Afghanistan who have so far survived the Russians and the US. All I got in response was crickets chirping. I love the ‘just surrender already’ crowd.

ghostwalker1 on January 21, 2013 at 11:51 AM

HotAirLib on January 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM

HAL, you ignorant s!ut. Once again you have failed to recognize the central issue at hand. If you could learn to concentrate your efforts into a single endeavor, some degree of finality might be achieved rather than this random wh0re-hopping from bed to bed like some egocentric concubine. That’s the news, goodnight!

ghostwalker1 on January 21, 2013 at 12:07 PM

HotAirLib on January 21, 2013 at 10:33 AM

wargamer6 on January 21, 2013 at 10:36 AM

…I think HotLips is trying to win the Dumb F of the Year Award!

KOOLAID2 on January 21, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Conan on January 21, 2013 at 11:36 AM

You know, now that you mention it, that’s what’s wrong with Hot Air AND the GOP.

Cleombrotus on January 21, 2013 at 12:16 PM

God bless the USA
HotAirLib on January 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Which God might you be referring to there, Lib?

Cleombrotus on January 21, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I am listening to Mark Steyn on Rush’s show and he says Paul Ryan was booed on the heals of another speech where Obama says the name calling has to stop.

classic example of nullifying what you would need to do to combat Obama while he is free to use any tactic on his side.

This is the kind of 2+ party system they have in Russia right now (what a model to copy) and If Ed or AP (and the GOP) had any guts they would acknowledge it and quit playing in it, friggin stand up and SAY “hey how about the booing of Paul Ryan you friggin hypocrites”.

But they can’t say that because that kind of confrontation will played as typical Republican extremism and so the death spiral for the 2 party system continues because one party feels helpless in the face of telling the truth abut what the other party does because they fear the consequences. not exactly the Spirit of 1776 is it?

Conan on January 21, 2013 at 2:15 PM