NFL Conference Championships open thread

posted at 11:01 am on January 20, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Say what you will about a playoff series that doesn’t include the Pittsburgh Steelers (sob!), but this has already been a near-legendary post-season.  Baltimore’s comeback in a two-overtime victory on the road against the Denver Broncos.  Seattle’s comeback against the Washington Redskins.  Atlanta’s comeback after blowing a 20-point lead over the Seahawks to win in the final minute last week.  We’ve already had a full slate of highlight-reel games.

Now we have two more to go before the big dance in Tampa New Orleans, and both of these battles should be epic.  Last week I went 2-2 to stretch my playoff record to 5-3.  Let’s see if I can stretch that lead:

• 49ers at Atlanta (3 pm ET, Fox) - Atlanta had been nearly unbeatable at home this season, but then they blew a big lead against Seattle and looked close to making an early exit.  They put together a last-minute, gut-check drive that may well define this team.  However, San Francisco and Colin Kaepernick look unstoppable after rolling over Green Bay last week.  With a defense that’s only 23rd against the pass and 21st against the rush, facing Kaepernick could be an insurmountable task. In contrast, San Francisco has the fourth-best defense in the league against both the rush and the pass, and the fourth-best rushing offense has only improved since Kaepernick took the helm.  It’s tough to pick against the home team that’s coming off a big comeback win, but I have to go with Kaepernick and the Niners, 31-24 over the Falcons.
  • Ravens at Patriots (6:30 pm, CBS) - How did the Ravens come back to beat the Broncos last week? Denver kept letting their safeties get caught in front of the receivers, including the play that sent the game into OT.  The Pats have a big weakness against the pass, ranked 29th in the league, and that may be an opening for Joe Flacco.  However, the Pats won’t let the Ravens offense onto the field that much, with the fourth-ranked passing offense and seventh-ranked rushing offense in the league.  The Ravens D is only middling this year — 17th against the pass, 20th against the rush, and they gave up 398 yards of offense against the Broncos (and 419 against the Colts the week before).  Even with Ray Lewis, this is an old defense, and even without Rob Gronkowski, the New England offense is going to be too much — especially at home.  Patriots win 35-23 against the Ravens, setting up a rematch between the Pats and 49ers in the Super Bowl.

Update: The Super Bowl is in New Orleans, not Tampa, as I wrote earlier.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

GO PATS!

I’m looking forward to New England giving a nice send-off to Ray Lewis’ retirement from football.

I have all the respect in the world for Lewis, but the Ravens aren’t going to the Superbowl this year.

TKindred on January 20, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I believe it will be destiny for the 49ers this year, I moved from NoCal to AZ in 1993, which happened to be the last time the 49ers won a Superbowl.

So the fact this will be my my 20th year here in AZ since moving from NoCal and the fact I am 49 years old the 49ers will win it all this year…it is destiny!

GO 49ERS!!!

Liberty or Death on January 20, 2013 at 11:09 AM

What’s the NFL? Oh, that’s right – a primary source of heartbreak.

Steve Eggleston on January 20, 2013 at 11:11 AM

My vote is for Wes Welker, he takes more and harder hits than most if not all running backs!

For the NFC it looks like the picture man is a winner.

tim c on January 20, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Oh crap! Now, Ed like the Niner’s.

We’re scroomed.

trigon on January 20, 2013 at 11:14 AM

What’s the NFL? Oh, that’s right – a primary source of heartbreak.

Steve Eggleston on January 20, 2013 at 11:11 AM

…think I have another 40 years of sadly screaming…GO LIONS!

KOOLAID2 on January 20, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Falcons on top! Rise Up!

Donald Draper on January 20, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Steelers 49 – Enemy 3

All other teams are just placeholders.

Bishop on January 20, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I never thought I’d be rooting for the Falcons but here I am.

Limerick on January 20, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Normally this is my favorite football day of the year.

But I really dislike the Patriots & the Ravens. Maybe that game can go 6 quarter too so they both bloody each other? A hater can only hope.

22044 on January 20, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I want to see Niners vs. Pats in the SB, because I really want to watch Kaepernick have the chance to cap a glorious season by testing his mettle against the coldest-eyed gunslinger in playoff football, Tom Brady.

I hate Brady but respect him.

Kaepernick has been amazing… would be great fun to watch.

cane_loader on January 20, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Sweet Ed picked the Ravens to lose again. Everything is going according to plan…

Go RAVENS!

Fezzik on January 20, 2013 at 11:30 AM

cane_loader on January 20, 2013 at 11:23 AM

49ers beat them away last month. It was a good game.

lexhamfox on January 20, 2013 at 11:31 AM

It’s time…..ferget that enoguration crapperoo…..it’s

Pappy Pigskin picks of the week.

Bay State Giselles versus the purple crows of the Chesapeake. How can you NOT pick Giselle? Ray Lewis? yeah, you’re great but really….retire already. Michael Oher, we love you, you’ve got a great Blind Side story but how can you NOT pick Giselle? And Cheater Belicheckcheck? Again which side is Giselle on? Oh, Patriots for the win.

Sodom by the Sea Goldiggers versus the Peachbirds from the South. Though I love my fellow hicks and hayseeds that Tatoo kid from the Bay is just too good. I don’t know why he kisses his arm but I just hope he doesn’t have an imaginary girlfriend at this point. Gotta go with the Niners and the new Tom Brady (that can actually RUN the ball). Wasn’t that what they were going to let Tebow do?

Pats/Niners.

PappyD61 on January 20, 2013 at 11:33 AM

The Pats and Ravens ….too bad it cannot end in a tie. If I have to pick I’ll go with the Pats. Ravens fans are about the worst.

I’ll take the Niners in the NFC.

CW on January 20, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Unless Mike Nolan and his defensefigure out a plan against stopping Jackrabbit Slim the Falcons could be in for a long day.Kaepernick is on a roll and nothing can stop him. Go Valley Boy!! SF34 Atlanta21

jeffinsjvca on January 20, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Go Pats!

Stoic Patriot on January 20, 2013 at 11:39 AM

49ers beat them away last month. It was a good game.

lexhamfox on January 20, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Yup!

When it comes down to the Championships – the best games of the year, IMO (Super Bowl is almost anticlimactic sometimes), if I don’t have a dog in the fight, I really enjoy comparing the stories of the various teams and QBs…. savor the drama.

49ers – Colin Kaepernick has been such an electrifying bolt from the blue – his incredible running and great touch passing, that it will be very enjoyable to watch him test his mettle. The mix of Kaepernick and Gore has been deadly.

Patriots – Brady is getting older – team is getting older – but a veteran warhorse of a playoff team that always puts up a great fight under pressure. Sort of a measuring stick for others to test themselves against.

Ravens – that defense has become the same type of warhorse unit. Their time has come to show what they’re made of. I personally can’t stand Flacco… think he’s personally a low-class guy. This year he is a veteran QB, time to finally break through as he gets older – and his long moon-ball bombs have become scary magic this year. Ravens will be tough.

Falcons – don’t have as much to say, other than Ryan is getting his testing. Been knocking down the door for awhile to step up his game, but I think he’s still a bit erratic. Solid team, but last week’s near-collapse vs. Seattle may have a bad mental hangover. Atlanta’s been hard-luck in sports for awhile. Time for them to take advantage of the absence of the Payton-less Saints and prove what they’ve got.

Ready for some football!

cane_loader on January 20, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Atlanta win. Patriot win. Atlanta wins the Super Bowl.

Nelsa on January 20, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Hoping for Falcons/Ravens and Falcons to take it all.

Based on last week, the Falcons look like the weakest of the four teams. Maybe they’ll improve their form, i.e. Matt Ryan throws no picks.

22044 on January 20, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Have the Patriots finished secretly recording the Ravens practice time yet?

Bishop on January 20, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Have the Patriots finished secretly recording the Ravens practice time yet?

Bishop on January 20, 2013 at 11:56 AM

hehe.

Hey Del…. you like shrimp or artificial?

cane_loader on January 20, 2013 at 12:06 PM

“Even with Ray Lewis, this is an old defense…”

Look, I know Ed is a bitter Steelers fan. And I know that as a bitter Steelers fan, there’s no team he wants to lose more than the Ravens. But you have to wonder if he has a clue what he’s talking about. Outside of Ray and Ed, the Ravens are a very young defense. And a large reason the Ravens ranked as poorly as they did this year is because they’ve had so many injuries. Suggs was out. Ray was out. Our best corner, Webb, has been out. But our young guys have stepped up and some of our veterans have come back.

On top of that, the Ravens beat two of the best offensive teams in football the last two weeks, one on the road. Ed can whine about the Denver safeties, but both Smith and Jones got behind them and the corners, as good, fast receivers are supposed to do, and Flacco’s got arguably the strongest arm in football. If Brady completes a bunch of long passes today, you know Ed will be lauding the Patriot receivers and Brady’s quarterbacking rather than criticizing the Ravens corners and safeties. Ed comes off like a democrat, here.

Now, I don’t know how this game will turn out; it could be 45-42 or 17-14 either way, but Ed’s analysis is neither accurate nor probable. Must suck to be a Steelers fan.

BKeyser on January 20, 2013 at 12:10 PM

One more thing- I’m pretty sure no one is going to the Super Bowl in Tampa this year.

BKeyser on January 20, 2013 at 12:13 PM

NO!!! Ed, don’t predict the Niners to win! I want them to win!!

John the Libertarian on January 20, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Pats and the Niners will win easily setting up a must watch Superbowl.

Vince on January 20, 2013 at 12:18 PM

BKeyser on January 20, 2013 at 12:13 PM

For sure! Ed’s withdrawal pains are showing.

Vince on January 20, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I’m hoping for a Har-Bowl that would, among other things, force Ed to root for the 49ers in the Super Bowl.

aunursa on January 20, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I don’t like Rookie Quarterbacks in the Playoffs. There is something about the NFL that just chews up inexperienced QB no matter how talented. On the other hands Ryan and the Falcons don’t seem to be able to knock people out and that is what I think you have to do with the Niners. Niners are a team that lost this game last year and teams that get second shots won’t have anything new to them about being in the game. So I guess I am saying i could see either team winning this one. I see the Pats winning at Home. Back to QB’s Flacco has failed to get over the hump and Brady has won this game I think 5 times.

Conan on January 20, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Falcons are my home team. Raiders are my favorite team. Obviously I’ve had more to cheer for from the Falcons in recent years. I was more worried about the match up with Seattle than I am with the 49ers.

Yes, Atlanta gave up huge chunks of yards to Seattle’s QB. They’ll likely do the same with the 49er QB. Thing is, I heard they’re 4-1 vs mobile QBs this year. They find a way to win and I think they’ll do so again today.

This year has been full of Falcon games that make you scratch your head and wonder how on earth they pulled out a win. That’s the nature of this team. They got a GM from the Patriot organization and he’s built the team, along with Mike Smith, just like the Patriot teams from the early Brady era. Those teams rarely blew anyone out. They just won close game after close game because they made less mistakes than their opponents and had a QB that played at his best in the last 2 minutes of a game.

My picks – Pats 30 Ravens 24 and Falcons 34, 49ers 31

Benaiah on January 20, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Maybe Divine Intervention.

Anyone who wins a Super Bowl will be battle tested and this year is no exception.

The 49er QB kisses his arms. As long as he is not going after lower appendages, on himself or others, I guess that is OK. I hope they have somebody watching him, though. The game is a family show, after all.

There are supposed to be Bible verses on his arms.

After watching the Denver destruction, Tom Brady spent the week sharpening a razor blade offense and will have one word calls at the line. Also, this quote from Tom makes me believe he is ready for today:

I’ve had just about everything punched. I’ve had things grabbed that just shouldn’t be grapped.”

IlikedAUH2O on January 20, 2013 at 12:28 PM

They spelled grabbed two different ways. Source of Brady quote was search quotes dot com. With thanks.

IlikedAUH2O on January 20, 2013 at 12:29 PM

setting up a rematch between the Pats and 49ers in the Super Bowl.

?

Longtime Pats fan here-I don’t recall them ever playing against SF in the Super Bowl. Think I would have remembered that!

Del Dolemonte on January 20, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Kaepernick is just 2-2 on the road this year btw.

Benaiah on January 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I’m pulling for a brother’s Super Bowl. 49er’s and the Ravens.

DDay on January 20, 2013 at 12:34 PM

ANy blog that professes to know or be associated with Sports, but does not put up a post acknowledging the passing of Stan “The Man” Musial…….

Has no connection whatsoever to sports – because it is too ignorant of history.

williamg on January 20, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Has no connection whatsoever to sports – because it is too ignorant of history.

williamg

Which would be relevant if Baseball was a sport. :P

/is too boring, dated, and full of PED cheaters to matter anymore

Benaiah on January 20, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Go Pats!

dogsoldier on January 20, 2013 at 12:44 PM

williamg

Earl Weaver of the Orioles died also.

IlikedAUH2O on January 20, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Have the Patriots finished secretly recording the Ravens practice time yet?

Bishop on January 20, 2013 at 11:56 AM

hehe.

Hey Del…. you like shrimp or artificial?

cane_loader on January 20, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Real shrimp for me!

For all the BDSers out there (Belichick/Brady Derangement Syndrome), some very interesting observations by football writer Jason Cole last week:

This year marks the sixth season since the scandal broke following the 2007 season opener, putting the incident in the midpoint of New England’s long run of high-end play. Since the start of the ’07 season, New England has gone 76-20 in the regular season. In the six seasons before the scandal, the Patriots are 70-26.

Critics will point to the lack of championships since the incident: New England won three Super Bowls prior to 2007, winning their first 10 postseason games under Brady and coach Bill Belichick, and was 12-2 in the postseason. Since then, they’re just 5-4 in the postseason heading into Sunday’s AFC championship game against the Ravens. However, they have come about as close as humanly possible to capturing a fourth title. It took a miracle catch by David Tyree in Super Bowl XLII and a spectacular two-minute drive last season to prevent them from winning two more titles.

As one of the Boston sports writers said this morning, the Patriots didn’t finish their plays in those 2 SB losses against the Giants, while the Giants did finish their plays. Also helped that the Pats were up against the finest head coach in the NFL at the time, Mr. Coughlin.

Del Dolemonte on January 20, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Denver Broncos live!

Go to papa john’s coin toss and predict heads or tails and never say that I don’t bring some useful stuff here. Great ingredients. Peyton Manning. What else do you want?

Ignore the rest of this.

You know Papa John’s opposed Obama care and was roasted for it. Onwe charge was their paying Peyton Manning to promote their products. This was on Fox and it was part of a wonderful pile of nonsense from Leslie Marshall ( I get her confused with other bubble heads sometimes, sorry) that began with her comment that she had her own business and should therefore appreciate the costs of employees. I said she works in a protected industry which s like La La land compared to real competition the rest of us live with.

IlikedAUH2O on January 20, 2013 at 12:55 PM

All of us warriors with normal T who sorely want to be in the battle think it is nothing. But we are wrong.

I have been cursed and threatened because I needle the Broncos. I love it the Bronco fans have much more backbone than the Patriot, Dallas and Steeler haters.

Someone said they ran like rabbits from Redskins in 1991′s SB.

I said other things over the years, most recently that QB Tebow was ending his run in New England last year. Horrors.

Well, I will have you know that I have an email from a recently retired Bronco telling me “You de man.” since I did him a small favor on starting a business and also said nice things to him he richly deserved to hear. I even got the women in my life to watch his video record.

When you watch those games remember the courage, dedication, natural gifts and determination that put those guys out there. And give all of them (even the losers) the love all gladiators deserve.

IlikedAUH2O on January 20, 2013 at 1:06 PM

In the Superbowl it will be the two birds playing. (Falcons vs the Ravens)

One of the two great players will go into retirement as Champ. (Ray Lewis or Tony Gonzalez)

BroncosRock on January 20, 2013 at 1:16 PM

If my girlfriend doesn’t get involved in an accident or dies of leukemia by 2CT this afternoon, we’ll be watching both games.

New England by 4. Atlanta by 3.

TXUS on January 20, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Has no connection whatsoever to sports – because it is too ignorant of history.

williamg on January 20, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Yeah, when it’s only mentioned by a couple commenters in unrelated threads, that’s weaksauce, ladies and gentlemen.

Go, Ravens! Go, Niners!

Christien on January 20, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Pats by 13, Niners by 10.

Rusty Allen on January 20, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Harbaugh Bowl Two! Go Niners!

Rovin on January 20, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Has no connection whatsoever to sports – because it is too ignorant of history.

williamg on January 20, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Hotair is NOT a sports blog, but Ed does indulge in his NFL fantasies…

Ed: feel free to mention the passing of the greatest Navy veteran ever to play a professional sport… I used to think it was Bob Feller, but then realized that Stan Musial served in the Navy in 1945… I think that “Cardinal Nation” is in mourning right now…

Earl Weaver: great manager but also a profane bag of gas…

Khun Joe on January 20, 2013 at 1:59 PM

As a Packer fan I no longer have a favorite, so I can just enjoy the games. I would normally root against the team that took out the Packers, but Kaepernick is fun to watch play. So whoever wins, it doesn’t really matter. But I will be watching.

Rose on January 20, 2013 at 2:00 PM

49ers will win today going away and the Pats will sneak out a win late versus Baltimore. Then the 49ers will show Brady that it’s not just the Giants that abuse him in the Super Bowl as the Niners will hoist their 6th NFL Championship.

njrob on January 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Hotair is NOT a sports blog, but Ed does indulge in his NFL fantasies…

Earl Weaver: great manager but also a profane bag of gas…

Khun Joe on January 20, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Yeah, if you want fuller sports coverage & commentary, there are definitely other places for that.

But I really like HA taking breaks to blog about sports, movies, and other stuff besides politics.

22044 on January 20, 2013 at 3:22 PM

My business associate Mr Wu hates the San Francisco xxxxsuckers!

philw1776 on January 20, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Last week the Falcons were great…for 43 minutes. They gotta do better than that today.

22044 on January 20, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Total yards: Julio Jones 100. San Francisco 1.

22044 on January 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM

philw1776 on January 20, 2013 at 3:22 PM

And all this time I thought Forex meant foreign exchange trades.

I was wondering why I liked it so much even though it took money away!

Love those little suckers.

IlikedAUH2O on January 20, 2013 at 3:41 PM

New England by 4. Atlanta by 3.

TXUS on January 20, 2013 at 1:22 PM

You have said some very sharp things over the years.

But…Wow. Close games.

If you are right I am thinking some award for you.

Soon as I find one.

IlikedAUH2O on January 20, 2013 at 3:45 PM

It looks like the 49ers have already lost the game before halftime.

Dollayo on January 20, 2013 at 3:49 PM

It looks like the 49ers have already lost the game before halftime.

Dollayo on January 20, 2013 at 3:49 PM

But don’t forget last week Atlanta blew a 20 point lead in the second half. Almost gave me a heart attack.

Brat on January 20, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Fearless Forecast:

NFC: Don’t have a dog in this fight, but also don’t particularly like either team, as they both used to share the NFC “West” with the Saints, and both regularly gave said Saints fits, especially at playoff time. Having said that, I’m cheering for Atlanta, simply because the national elite football media say they have absolutely no chance to win.

AFC: Naturally I’m rooting for the Patriots, but today for a couple of special reasons-first and foremost, to shut up those loudmouth NFL Network “analysts”, all but 1 of whom say the Pats have no chance today.

Main reason I’m cheering for the Pats today is so their great longtime radio play by play man, Gil Santos, gets one more Big Dance. This is his final season before retiring. Gil is the only remaining radio play by play guy still active from the old American Football League, and is tied with Merrill Reese of the Iggles with 36 continuous years on play by play with one team (Gil started doing Pats games in 1966, but took a 10 year break in the 1980s to call other games (including Penn State football).

Have a great game call, Gil!

Del Dolemonte on January 20, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Falcons ahead, 24-14 at the half.

It would be nice to see Tony Gonzalez finish on top.

22044 on January 20, 2013 at 4:32 PM

LaMichael James with his first NFL TD got the Niners on the board. WTD!

Good job calling the illegal contact, but the refs also need to call OPI on the push-off.

Christien on January 20, 2013 at 4:41 PM

It looks like the 49ers have already lost the game before halftime.

Dollayo on January 20, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Ha ha ha ha ha. Dream on.

John the Libertarian on January 20, 2013 at 4:50 PM

What’s the NFL? Oh, that’s right – a primary source of heartbreak.

Steve Eggleston on January 20, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Not just about the NFL, but relevant nonetheless!

Levels of Losing 2.0

Anti-Control on January 20, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Dribbling the ball is in basketball and Australian rules football. Its new to the NFL.

forest on January 20, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Yeah 49ers. My boss will be thrilled.

gophergirl on January 20, 2013 at 6:02 PM

So it’ll be an East Coast – West Coast Super Bowl.

rbj on January 20, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Boring.

Cindy Munford on January 20, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Congrats to the 49ers

22044 on January 20, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Go Niners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

JAGonzo on January 20, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Act 2 in 21 minutes

22044 on January 20, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Whoo hoo! 49′ers!!!

LaMichael James, go man go!

portlandon on January 20, 2013 at 6:11 PM

49ers win! Super bowl, baby!!!!!!!!!!

Decoski on January 20, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I feel sorry for the New England Patriots.

keep the change on January 20, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Or as elRushbo would say: “Fortiners.”

Galtian on January 20, 2013 at 6:17 PM

John the Libertarian on January 20, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I wanted the 49ers. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing in the first half. I’m happy they came back…49ers all the way baby!!

Dollayo on January 20, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Ed: you were off by a field goal… tighten it up next time…

Khun Joe on January 20, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Congratulations to all 49er fans. We came up just short, that’s life as a Georgia sports fan. Proud of the effort by the Falcons.

Now on to baseball.

midgeorgian on January 20, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Two great anthems today.

I want a brother/brother Super Bowl.

gophergirl on January 20, 2013 at 6:41 PM

From the ESPN website during the game:

Kaepernick Looks Like Squidward
IF YOU BET NINERS YOU ARE A MUSH!!!!!…more

Hatchkelso808
17-0 and getting points this is the easiest money I ever made. Payday baby!!!!!!!!…more

Drew4mvp1
Fox news just reported. 5 people wearing Niners jerseys just jumped off of the Golden Gate Bridge!!

danielruoss
Game over….more

ciorizzo
cry cry 49ers. Your tears are delicious

TheTeaxasRangersOfBuffalo
Like I said Falcons by 15 Easy

Rise Up A Couple More Times Falcons
YOU’RE RIGHT NINERS FANS….YOU’RE NOT THE SEAHAWKS. YOU’RE WORSE THAN THE SEAHAWKS

GAME OVER FALCONS GOING TO THE SUPERBOWL
GAME OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

papachan23 aldon smith is soft

Thanks for all the comments Falcons Fans—You’ve been great!

Rovin on January 20, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Ed: you were off by a field goal… tighten it up next time…

Khun Joe on January 20, 2013 at 6:30 PM

The field goal hit the upright. Ed was pretty damn close!

aunursa on January 20, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I want a brother/brother Super Bowl.

gophergirl on January 20, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Half way down and three quarters to go gg.

Rovin on January 20, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Jim v. John Superbowl

John the Libertarian on January 20, 2013 at 9:12 PM

One quarter and 15 points away from the Harbaugh Bowl…

22044 on January 20, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Dollayo on January 20, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Awesome comeback, eh?

John the Libertarian on January 20, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Tom “mental error” Brady had a rough night. At least his younger brother hasn’t won more super bowls than him like his Co-Best Quarterback Ever.

forest on January 20, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I’m looking forward to Belichick’s press conference.

22044 on January 20, 2013 at 9:34 PM

My collie says:

And once again, the Patriots are denied.

Who are you going to root for in the Jimmy-John bowl, collie?

My collie says:

Am I allowed to root for the guys in the zebra outfits?

CyberCipher on January 20, 2013 at 9:37 PM

BREAKING NEWS!!!!

Giselle headed to the locker room to console Tom again.

Epic Patriot coaching fail. Nice job Bellicheckcheck.

PappyD61 on January 20, 2013 at 9:42 PM

This is going to be a great Superbowl.

gophergirl on January 20, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I didn’t have a dog in the fight but I’m glad it will be a bit more interesting. Sorry Del, nothing personal.

Cindy Munford on January 20, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Bwaa haa haa! Tommy Boy choked. Coach Belacheat choked.

This Superbowl will be EPIC.

portlandon on January 20, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Well, this will be the first Har Bowl. Should be interesting.

TXUS on January 20, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Well – my football season is over.
I’ve got no interest in the Harbowl. (stole that from my son)

dentarthurdent on January 20, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Brady might just be the most overrated qb in a long time. Not to say he’s not a very good one, perhaps even great to some extent. However, he’s only great when he has a lot of time in the pocket. Against great defenses he usually chokes in big games as he did tonight. Even his first SB win vs. the Rams where he won the MVP, he was a joke until the last drive. He’s a pretty boy who gets a lot of coverage & props.

Where would he be if he had to play behind a line like Warner did in Az. for example? He’s a product of the system & has always played behind a great line. His cheating coach probably helped a bit as well.

Reno232 on January 20, 2013 at 10:31 PM

still doing my Ray Dance!

Laura in Maryland on January 20, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Reno232 on January 20, 2013 at 10:31 PM

The Franco Harris of the ’00s?

Anti-Control on January 20, 2013 at 10:52 PM

TKindred on January 20, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Let this be a lesson for all. Please.

mike_NC9 on January 20, 2013 at 10:57 PM

WOOT! Ravens do the “impossible”!

garry on January 20, 2013 at 11:16 PM

still doing my Ray Dance!
Laura in Maryland on January 20, 2013 at 10:45 PM