Rand Paul hits Chris Christie for criticizing NRA ad, grandstanding on Sandy relief bill

posted at 5:31 pm on January 18, 2013 by Allahpundit

I’m intrigued and oddly impressed at how obviously Paul’s maneuvering for 2016. First the trip to Israel, then the bill to nullify any executive actions taken by Obama on guns, now this double-barreled shot at grassroots conservatives’ new bete noire. One of the things about the elder Paul that some people loved and others found off-putting was that he never seemed terribly interested in ingratiating himself with mainstream conservatives. If you’re a fan, maybe you took that as proof of principle, that he was above gladhanding political nonsense towards people foolish enough not to embrace libertarianism wholeheartedly. If you aren’t, you took it as evidence that he disdained the rank-and-file Republicans whose votes he’d need to win and wasn’t willing to bend towards some of their concerns. It’s an open question how similar Ron and Rand are on policy, but from a pure retail standpoint, Rand seems way more willing to play to the wider GOP base. The clearest example to date was him endorsing Romney last year while Ron predictably refused. But dumping on a guy who’s irritated everyone to the right of “Morning Joe” lately is another small yet effective way to do it:

Paul claimed that Christie had “backed down” on gun rights: “You have some Republicans backing down like Christie backing down and criticizing the NRA, and I think that doesn’t do any good.”

When asked by Ingraham why Christie made the comments, he responded that they were politically calculated. “I think he may be solidifying his support with Democrats in New Jersey and maybe liberal Republicans.”

Paul warned Christie that his criticism of the NRA, as well as his criticism of fellow Republicans over the Sandy relief bill, would come back to haunt him if he made a presidential run in 2016. “I think criticizing the Second Amendment movement and the over-the-top ‘give me my money’ stuff, ‘I want all sixty billion now or I’ll throw a tantrum,’ I don’t think that’s going to play well in the Republican primary.”

“I think people need to think through what their position on these things are.” Paul concluded.

The field will be more crowded, with many heavier hitters, in 2016 than it was in 2012, but I’d bet cash money that Rand will do better than Ron did, especially if Obama continues to fiddle on entitlements. The more dire the fiscal situation gets, the more appealing a harder line libertarian appears vis-a-vis a more traditional conservative Republican pol.

As for Christie, between the post-Sandy Obama photo op, the grandstanding on Sandy relief, and now dumping on the NRA while saying nothing about Obama’s own bit of child exploitation, WaPo’s wondering if he’s already finished for 2016. I doubt it. To repeat a point made recently, the lesson of nominating McCain and Romney is that the national Republican primary electorate is way bigger than the universe of grassroots conservatives. Christie could lose every last tea-party vote and conceivably still squeak through to some sort of Romney-esque victory over a divided conservative field. (Then again, if it were that easy, why didn’t Giuliani win in 2008?) But I still think he’d be better off hooking up with Bloomberg and running a serious third-party campaign. For better or worse, after all the betrayals of conservatives lately, that’s his brand now. If he had a few hundred million from Bloomy to jump-start him and some serious media buzz about being the first credible independent candidate since Perot, who knows what he could do? Republicans’ popularity is at a recent historic low in some polls and Christie’s popularity is sky high. If he ends up with the right opponents — Cuomo, say, if Hillary doesn’t run and maybe Rand Paul on the right — it’s not impossible to imagine him contending seriously. Think of it: The first “No Labels” president. What could go wrong?

Via Newsbusters, here’s Andrea Mitchell marveling at the fact that, notwithstanding Christie’s blue-state pander about their “reprehensible” ad, the NRA is a reasonably popular organization.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Chris Christie’s 15 minutes are about to expire

J_Crater on January 18, 2013 at 8:55 PM

You think the RNC is going to permit a conservative candidate to run?
Think again. All you’ll get from them are rino’s: Bush x2, McCain, Romney.
They despise conservatives as does Boehner & other congressional republicrats.

Also, in 2016 we’ll have 30 million plus demo voters thanks to the Chosen One’s amnesty plan he’ll shove down our throats.

Look at Rep. Rodney Freylinghuysen adding $33.5 billion to the Sandy pork….did anyone put up a fight? Of course not. But Tom McClintock proposed amendments to slash $22 billion of pork; that got alot of attention with the house rules committee throwing it out.

The republican party has been infiltrated with socialists & there’s nothing we can do about it. Why spend the gas to the voting booth?

Belle on January 18, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Christie as an Indy would BURY the GOP dead in ’16. We need him to enter the primaries, lose and go away quietly. The GOP nominee will, unfortunately and probably, have to appease him with something after that.

cdog0613 on January 18, 2013 at 9:01 PM

You think the RNC is going to permit a conservative candidate to run?

Belle on January 18, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Nope.

ddrintn on January 18, 2013 at 9:08 PM

^ I would also say that it’s not just the RNC who wouldn’t allow a conservative nominee. It’s GOP primary voters.

ddrintn on January 18, 2013 at 9:10 PM

JetBoy. Please just commit to me that you won’t vote for Chris Christie in the primaries and also won’t vote for him in the general. I don’t think that kids should be used as political props.. although it is totally okay for liberals to make disparaging comments about Republican politicians young children. I remember hearing about how Ryan’s cute and very grounded kids were spoiled and unruly brats during the last election cycle. And I’m sure Rubio’s kids will get the same treatment. But hey.. double standard.

Illinidiva on January 18, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Well that’s putting the cart way ahead of the horse…I haven’t a clue who I’d support in 2016 since I have absol,utely no idea who would even run. I’m still disappointed Mitch Daniels was a no-go.

Obama’s use of those kids was ridiculous, I agree. But again, not surprising…but still not as bad as the union teachers who used their class of kids to protest in Wisconsin with them…and those morons who used their kids as “human shields” at another protest. It’s despicable.

Actually I find the whole anti-gun thing with Obama to be personal. It is him getting into my personal life and rights. I think when we are talking about how individuals protect themselve i.e., the 2nd amendment then how Obama and his family is protected is fair game.

melle1228 on January 18, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I don’t know about the “personal” thing…Obama has learned his stance on a lot of issues can be nuanced into a different opinion on them…gay marriage, for a good example.

And once more gun restrictions become law…state and federal…it would probably be near impossible to reverse them. IMHO many of the proposed restrictions…like assault weapons and larger magazines…are clear violations of the 2nd amendment.

JetBoy on January 18, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Christies sold out look tells all. how embarrassing

MrMoe on January 18, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I the party establishment tries to shove Christie down our throats like they did with Mittens, he’ll lose too. GOP Libtards aren’t going to see much success for the foreseeable future.

Quartermaster on January 18, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Christie and Obama should just get a room. Eff him.

CW on January 18, 2013 at 9:36 PM

(sigh!)….Once again I will try to educate some of you commenting here. STOP THINKING IN TERMS OF REPUBLICANS AND DEMOCRATS AND BEGIN RECOGNIZING THEM FOR WHAT THEY ARE…..PROGRESSIVES, ONE AND ALL. I’m keeping a chart by the computer and checking what Republicans voted against conservatism on each and every vote this year. If they vote consistantly with the Demolishion party I will recognize them for what they are….Progressives, just like Boehner and McConnell. Sure, they put on good theater and can cry on cue but that’s only so the slower GOP members won’t identify them as Progressives. And so far it has been working. They cave and the majority of their caucus follows suit and we’ve got exactly what we have today….Obama and crew. What a nightmare. Wake up folks! It’s not that the GOP will betray you; It’s that the GOP has been betraying all of us for years and we refused to open our eyes and recognize what was right before us….a bunch of actors. Remember John Wilkes Booth was an actor and look were that got Lincoln. Christie is a buffoon, Rubio favors immigration reform (immigration isn’t broken and in need of a fix, it simply needs to be enforced as it is now written!) and who knows what others will be thrown at us between now and 2016. One thing is for sure, if the media loves them they are Progressives. Rand Paul is not liked by most of the GOP and for me that is a plus. I didn’t support his Dad but I’ll give the son a chance. I will not vote or support any elected official who fails my chart/voting test. JUST WILL NOT HAPPEN!

MONACO1121 on January 18, 2013 at 9:42 PM

No Pauls for me

Flapjackmaka on January 18, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Yeah…gosh…they might even be able to get on the ballot in most of the states. Hell, they could get 20% of the total vote!

Heh. Christie’s a fat joke.

Jaibones on January 18, 2013 at 10:03 PM

No Pauls for me

Flapjackmaka on January 18, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Because he’s actually doing something, unlike not only Chris but you as well?

MelonCollie on January 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I think that that is correct. But I also think that it is necessary to say who we wouldn’t support and I think that any right minded Republican should commit to vote against Christie and Huntsman and also refuse to vote for them in the general election.

Illinidiva on January 18, 2013 at 10:54 PM

I thought the RNC has already agreed Jeb will be our next president.

Ukiah on January 18, 2013 at 11:11 PM

At least Rand Paul has some level of political consistency

The Pubbies need someone like that, not Boehner or the Establishment squishes like that dead man walking Senior Senator from my state of Texas, Cornyn.

TexasJew on January 18, 2013 at 11:13 PM

I thought the RNC has already agreed Jeb will be our next president.

Ukiah on January 18, 2013 at 11:11 PM

That’s why I see Rubio all over the place these days. Rubio checks a lot more boxes than Jeb Bush. (Rubio’s actually Latino rather than waspy).

Illinidiva on January 18, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I don’t say this lightly, and have chided others for not holding their nose to vote for McCain and Romney..

But Christie is simply not acceptable. He betrayed his country by pulling Obama over the top last November.

Now he’s attacking the NRA?

If Christie is the nominee, I will vote third party. Period.

No effing way I will ever vote for that fat bastard.

Malachi45 on January 18, 2013 at 11:52 PM

You think the RNC is going to permit a conservative candidate to run?

Belle on January 18, 2013 at 8:56 PM

You think THAT’s why we can’t get conservatives nominated?

Maybe it has more to do with people getting stupid and refusing to rally around one candidate?

Malachi45 on January 18, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I thought Christie joined the DNC?

nazo311 on January 19, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Tubby McLardarse definitely needs to take a long walk on a short pier.

Christie is dead to me.

He’ll never ever get my vote on a national ticket. Not a chance in Hades. Ever.

SD Tom on January 18, 2013 at 6:08 PM

hahahahahahhahahhahahahaha! Can’t stop laughing!

fullogas on January 19, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Excuse me but it’s ANGRIER Mitchell.

Thank you.

Cleombrotus on January 19, 2013 at 12:33 AM

If Christie is the nominee, I will vote third party. Period.

Malachi45 on January 18, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Same here. Or sit this one out.

I’m sorry but you can’t be chumming around with the traitor that’s systematically dismantling the foundations of the Republic with every Executive Order and Czar he can think of, and be considered a viable Republican candidate.

Sorry,.

Cleombrotus on January 19, 2013 at 12:36 AM

I voted for McCain, and I voted for Romney to try to save our disabled child from Obummercare. But I’m not voting for Christie, even if he is the Republican nominee. I blame him for contributing to Romney losing, plus he’s not really conservative. I think his comments about the NRA ad are despicable.

sherrimae on January 19, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Then again, if it were that easy, why didn’t Giuliani win in 2008?

Beacuse, fark NY. That’s why. People around the country will say the same thing to some guy from Jersey.

It’s why I laughed so hard when the media tried to make serious POTUS material guy out of Cuomo this week.

Moesart on January 19, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Good for Rand.

But why can’t we find one of the 32 Republican governors who is actually exercising/practicing conservative governance right now, instead of a Senator who practices speechifying and doesn’t even need to vote much because Reid won’t bring a bill to the floor that the Republicans in the House would pass?

cptacek on January 19, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Dueling RINOs.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 19, 2013 at 3:36 AM

sherrimae on January 19, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Me too.

Malachi45 on January 19, 2013 at 4:08 AM

cptacek on January 19, 2013 at 2:11 AM

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Rick Perry…

fabrexe on January 19, 2013 at 4:30 AM

Christie is a loudmouthed blowhard, and that has a certain appeal to it, especially when his gas is directed at a universally despised group like the congressweasels. I think that accounts for much of his current popularity.
I also think his schtick is wearing thin, or soon will with most people. Everyone I talk to on both sides finds it mildly amusing. They also find Christie’s political opportunism personally repulsive.
Obamunists like his pig-snout-in-the-trough and embrace of Teh Won grandstanding over Sandy but conservatives are disgusted by it, just as they’re disgusted by his recent attack on the NRA. Every time he opens his big mouth he pushes conservatives and Republicans away.

single stack on January 19, 2013 at 5:32 AM

No Pauls for me

Flapjackmaka on January 18, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Because he’s actually doing something, unlike not only Chris but you as well?

MelonCollie on January 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Oh, come on. Rand Paul’s doing exactly what we do: talk.

ddrintn on January 19, 2013 at 6:33 AM

It time for Christie to stop the charade, join the Democrats and move on.

rplat on January 19, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Oh, come on. Rand Paul’s doing exactly what we do: talk.

ddrintn on January 19, 2013 at 6:33 AM

OK, on a certain level I agree with you but what would you SUGGEST he do? I’m interested in hearing constructive ideas.

Cleombrotus on January 19, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Love Senator Paul! He is would make and excellent President despite being a republican.

Panther on January 19, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Seeing the run of the mill future plastic leaders of this GOP protectorate of the constitution, I, for the first time in my life, am beinging to question the wisdom of our forefathers in trusting everyone’s freedom to the common vote. Fallen man will sell his soul and his vote far too easily.
Oh for a God-fearing benevolent king…..

Don L on January 19, 2013 at 8:38 AM

It time for Christie to stop the charade, join the Democrats and move on.

rplat on January 19, 2013 at 6:53 AM

The don’t want him for two reasons:
1) the prefer to have him as the Trojan horse that he is.
2) The party can’t afford to feed him.

Don L on January 19, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I can’t think of one thing Mr. Paul has done since he has been elected that has made me question my support for him. I cannot say the same for anyone else from the class of 2010.

dmart81 on January 19, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Breitbart reporting Obama’s poll numbers plummet during gun push.

JellyToast on January 19, 2013 at 9:03 AM

cdog0613 on January 18, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Shouldnt be that hard. Christie can be be bought off with a lifetime supply of Krispy Kremes, Springsteen concert tickets and a collection of Obama’s speeches.

Norwegian on January 19, 2013 at 9:12 AM

When was the last time the establishment backed a conservative for President. And don’t say Reagan.

CorporatePiggy on January 19, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Just in case we forget………

….how truly corrupt the republican party is. Look at recent nomination battles.

1996, next-in-line 73 year old Progressive posing as a Conservative Bob Dole.

2000, gave us the two leading contenders for the party nomination as the son of a former President who managed not to screw up a job as a weak Governor and a gal that was the second wife of the 1996 nominee.

2008, next-in-line 72 year old Progressive posing as a Conservative John McCain running against a divided “Conservative” field.

2012, next-in-line Progressive posing as a Conservative Mitt Romney, running against a divided “Conservative” field.

And anyone think that the party leaders in DC are going to let ANY true newcomer Conservative win in 2016?

PappyD61 on January 19, 2013 at 9:20 AM

dmart81 on January 19, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I agree. He’s also one of the very, very few willing to stand up to Dear Leader.

Malachi45 on January 19, 2013 at 9:22 AM

scary attempted assassination video just happened apparently.

PappyD61 on January 19, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Notice….the bad guy has a gun, but where are any guns to protect the guy?

PappyD61 on January 19, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Oh, come on. Rand Paul’s doing exactly what we do: talk.

ddrintn on January 19, 2013 at 6:33 AM

Actually he’s TRYING to stand up to our Dear Leader.

All you and I have done is talk. Nobody here (unless I am very wrong) has ever proposed a bill to directly nullify one of his laws.

MelonCollie on January 19, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I agree with Rand Paul.

My personal evolution on Christie is:

Keep hearing people hear rave about some fat guy named Christie I have never heard of.

Very soon, start hearing people here, enamored with his two-fisted style, recommending him as the GOP flag-bearer against 0bama.

Start paying more attention to him. Somewhat charmed by his bluntness.

Start hearing people hear calling him a RINO.

The more and more I see of him, I like him less and less.

My growing dislike for him proceeds in an ever-downward trajectory.

I like him less and less.

His Sandy performance, when 0bama really did nothing other that make a photo-op and make promises, many still unfulfilled, makes him look like a sucker, tone-deaf to the fact that it’s a close election and 0bama reaaaaaly needs to lose for the good of the country.

His grandstanding on the NRA seals it.

I can’t stand Christie. He is a pompous, squishy, narcissistic jerk who can’t see the big picture.

Get ‘im, Rand.

cane_loader on January 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM

He has a legit chance of winning the GOP nomination. I don’t think he is a favorite or anything at this point, but he is refreshing. His brand of Libertarianism is needed in this party and country.

William Eaton on January 18, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Not to mention that a lot of lame-brain voters will get confused and think he’s Ron Paul and go off of name recognition. Not taking a swipe at all Ron Paul voters… I met a LOT of young folks around here who knew zilch about the issues and liked Ron Paul solely because he came across as a crank and they liked that quality.

Rand Paul would likely get all of their votes, in addition to those of those who liked his father for more substantive reasons.

I was one of those who liked Ron Paul a lot but refused to vote for him due to him myopic, pollyannaish foreign policy.

But his son sure does look pretty good so far, and his straightforwardness is refreshing in a way that Christie’s isn’t.

cane_loader on January 19, 2013 at 10:11 AM

B.O. IS using the kids as human shields, along with all his buddies in the “drive by media”.
I fear another civil war is coming!

mmcnamer1 on January 19, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Christie can never win the Presidency. Two reasons, he’s too New Jersey…meaning too local. And he’s fat. Yeah I know, that’s shallow but it’s true. Appearance counts in this society and he looks like a cartoon character. Besides he also looks like he could keel over from a heart attack at any minute. Now he could get in as a Senator but President…no way.

Deanna on January 19, 2013 at 10:13 AM

cptacek on January 19, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Rand Paul won’t be the nominee. He represents a wing of the Republican Party and playing ball means his ideas will be heard.

As for the Republican governors.. I cannot name most of them. Can you? And of the ones I can name only Jindal, Butterball, and Walker seem like possible Presidential candidates. Walker isn’t running because his BFF is. Butterball is running but we can hope that he flames out spectacularly. Jindal basically has a Christie problem; Jindal just waited until after the election to knife Romney in the back.

Illinidiva on January 19, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Malachi45 on January 18, 2013 at 11:52 PM

My fear is that we’ll all be singing a different tune in four years. I didn’t like Romney or McCain either.

Illinidiva on January 19, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Illinidiva on January 19, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Jindal needs to develop more focus. He’s energetic and smart, but has a hard time simplifying things for the public.

My uncle, in his elected executive capacity, has worked extensively with Jindal.

My uncle is a man of few, but pithy words. His take on Jindal:

“He talks too fast.”

cane_loader on January 19, 2013 at 10:34 AM

The Fat Man’s political future ends at the New Jersey state line.

volsense on January 19, 2013 at 10:44 AM

The Fat Man’s political future ends at the New Jersey state buffet line.

volsense on January 19, 2013 at 10:44 AM

cane_loader on January 19, 2013 at 10:47 AM

So … does Christie get the 2012 Neville Chamberlain award?

Boehner has some competition now.

percysunshine on January 19, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Breaking News:

GOP candidate Chris Christie today became the first presidential candidate ever kicked out of a Chinese buffet for eating the entire contents of the kitchen.

Owner Sam Sung was working the register when a large group of diners descended upon him, complaining that the serving trays were empty.

Sung said he went into the kitchen to see what was wrong, and found it empty and the cooks missing, except for Christie sucking the marrow out of a femur.

Sung said that Christie has been given a lifetime ban from the establishment.

“Fat man eat too much! I tell him, “you PIG! Go! Go NOW!,” said Sung sadly.

cane_loader on January 19, 2013 at 10:52 AM

As stated by AP above, Christie doesn’t need your votes. Obama sure as heck didn’t. You guys want to continue backing Sarah Palin, Rick Santorum, etc., be my guest. You impress people on these Hot Air message boards perhaps, but that’s it.

Maybe Christie does need to run 3rd party. But if he does, I’d put his chances a lot higher than anyone the Republicans put out, especially if it’s part of the Sarah Palin/Rick Santorum wing of the party.

By the way, I see now that people disagree with Christie, I see more and more fat jokes about him on Hot Air. And I’m sure the same people who make these jokes about Christie also make them about Rush Limbaugh…right? But I suppose that’s different.

asc85 on January 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM

asc85 on January 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Comparing Christie’s obesity to Limbaugh’s fluctuating weight is like comparing Jabba the Hut to Marlon Brando.

Yeah, I know fat jokes are cheap, but I feel much better making them about sell-outs like Christie.

cane_loader on January 19, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Deanna on January 19, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Too New Jersey? Is that your way of saying a “brash, obnoxious, loud mouth jerk?”

bw222 on January 19, 2013 at 11:13 AM

asc85 on January 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM

With the exception of being pro-life and a little union bashing, Christie is about as far left as one can be and still claim to be a Republican – everything from being for gun control, to bashing people who are concerned about sharia to big-government spending.

bw222 on January 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I’m still disappointed Mitch Daniels was a no-go.

Mitch’s personal life was as screwed up as Te’o's and wifey doesn’t want the family laundry on display. Besides, she’s bigger than Mitch and can kick the sh!t out of him.

bw222 on January 19, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Deanna on January 19, 2013 at 10:13 AM

bw222 on January 19, 2013 at 11:13 AM

You neglected the “flexibly principled blustery bully”who couldn’t possibly love life and give public hugs and support to the poster child for the wanton slaughter of the most helpless.

Don L on January 19, 2013 at 11:34 AM

asc85 on January 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Translation: Christie is the only Republican that can beat XYZ because he is moderate. Better vote for him or XYZ will win.

Guess what, you all fooled me with that line in 08 and 12, and NEITHER moderate won. It is not going to work again. The media loves Christie right now because he is doing what Mittens and McCain did: giving cover to the Democratic party by taking out fellow Republicans. As soon as he goes up against the next Demo Messiah- Christie will be crucified in the media much the way Palin and sweater vest was.

melle1228 on January 19, 2013 at 11:44 AM

The field will be more crowded, with many heavier hitters, in 2016 than it was in 2012 – AllahP

Izzat Right?
Name one other than Rand Paul.
You must be a fan of the wee little amnesty-loving Cubano.
Unless you are referring to Gov, Rick Perry, there IS no one else.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 19, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Another priceless gem from Hot Air Tepid Gas. This is the reason we lost the election. Allahpundit and imbeciles like him are completely out of touch with reality.

Rixon on January 19, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Actually, the lesson is that folks like you still haven’t learned the lesson yurt, apparently. And the lesson to be learned is nthat the GOP needs to stop putting up crappy candidates with th ‘bigger universe’ in mind, and nominate a conservative.

How’d McCain and Romney work out again? And you think the lesson to learn is that the GOP needs MORE of that?

Midas on January 19, 2013 at 12:01 PM

“Romney-ensue victory”.

Um, wow. Dude, really? That’s the goal, is it?

Midas on January 19, 2013 at 12:03 PM

F-ing autocorrect.

Midas on January 19, 2013 at 12:03 PM

As stated by AP above, Christie doesn’t need your votes.
asc85 on January 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Sounds like what the Romneybots kept telling us. How did that work out?

rrpjr on January 19, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Sounds like what the Romneybots kept telling us. How did that work out?

rrpjr on January 19, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Apparently Christie doesn’t need our votes because a mass exodus of democrats and moderates will vote for him..

All I have to say is “bwwwwwwwwaaaaahhaaaaaa”…

melle1228 on January 19, 2013 at 12:08 PM

As stated by AP above, Christie doesn’t need your votes.

asc85 on January 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Nonsense.

Jaibones on January 19, 2013 at 12:17 PM

We tried to warn everyone about the RINOs.

Their dickery dicked us.

SparkPlug on January 19, 2013 at 12:21 PM

And in SIX years you’ll be blown away!

That’s how long it took to indict the DEMOCRAT Mayor of N’awlins.

Ala Ray Nagin being indicted for Katrina-related corruption, New Yawk and Joisy are going to be in the same literal boat, BUT they will already have paid off the Mafia and BIG Labor with OUR friggin’ money!
STOP IT NOW!
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 19, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Mitt Romney chose Christie for the convention.

How stupid is that?

SparkPlug on January 19, 2013 at 12:23 PM

New Steyn….

Trillion-Dollar-Coin Fever

Resist We Much on January 19, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Mitt Romney chose Christie for the convention.

How stupid is that?

SparkPlug on January 19, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Exactly. From whatever angle you look at it, pathetic. Romney not only lacked the most basic political discernment, he commanded zero personal respect from his keynote speaker. What a sap.

rrpjr on January 19, 2013 at 12:39 PM

My uncle is a man of few, but pithy words. His take on Jindal:

“He talks too fast.”

cane_loader on January 19, 2013 at 10:34 AM

My main issue with Jindal is that he was apparently slobbering all over Romney the week before the election in hopes of getting the HHS position. He then throw Romney under the bus a day after he lost… Tacky.

As for his main issue as a candidate, I’d agree with you about his presentation skills. I think that we can all agree that Jindal is a genius. He talks quickly so that his mouth can keep up with his brain. Why he hasn’t gotten a consultant to help him with that is beyond me, especially after the disastrous State of the Union response.

Illinidiva on January 19, 2013 at 12:42 PM

There is no one. I’m coming to this acceptance. There is no one. To paraphrase CS Lewis, we live in an age of “chestless men.” I don’t know what will become of us. Everyone buckles under the pressure, everyone flinches in the moment, no one will stand up to the Left. Andrew Breitbart was the only man in my lifetime who understood the threat of the Left and vigorously and fearlessly engaged it. But he wasn’t a politician, and he’s dead.

rrpjr on January 19, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Yeah. Obama is a lefty Democrat; of course, he isn’t going to need the votes of Republicans. If Christie would like to win a Republican nomination, then he needs the votes of Republicans. He isn’t getting them as he managed to piss off even moderate Republicans like myself with his little stunt with Obama. Of course, Christie could, as you mentioned, always become a Democrat and run against Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary. In fact, we’d be more than happy if you decided to take him off our hands. All Republicans I know are tired of this liberal blowhard.

Wow.. the lefty troll is giving the Republican party political advice. I really don’t care what you think because you’ve never voted Republican in your life and never will. As for the 2016 nomination, I think that Paul Ryan and Marco Rubio are probably the two frontrunners and they are definitely more electable than who you’ve cited. In fact, didn’t Rubio win a three way election in Florida against a popular Democratic governor pretending to be a Republican? (Sounds sort of a similar scenario.)

Christie’s a bully. I have no qualms about mocking a bully.

Illinidiva on January 19, 2013 at 12:54 PM

rrpjr on January 19, 2013 at 12:39 PM

As I have said before, why would a man give so much of himself (6+ years of campaigning and over $50 million of his personal wealth), finally get the nomination and then totally blow it?

Romney should be the one preparing to be nominated. Had he not listened to the long-time consultants (Kevin Madden, Mike Murphy, etc.) and stopped fighting after the first debate, he might.

bw222 on January 19, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Mitt Romney chose Christie for the convention.

How stupid is that?

SparkPlug on January 19, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I’m assuming that they didn’t have Rubio give it because there would be too many Obama comparisons.

Illinidiva on January 19, 2013 at 12:56 PM

nominated = inaugerated.

bw222 on January 19, 2013 at 12:56 PM

As stated by AP above, Christie doesn’t need your votes.

asc85 on January 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Nonsense.

Jaibones on January 19, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Inflated sense of importance, eh?

asc85 on January 19, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Christie’s a bully. I have no qualms about mocking a bully.

Illinidiva on January 19, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Excellent point, Rush Limbaugh (who you truncated from my original statement as a point of comparison) is by no means a bully.

asc85 on January 19, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Ummm and you didn’t truncate my post. Perhaps you would care to explain why Republicans should take political advice from a liberal Democrat troll or let said person choose our nominee?

Illinidiva on January 19, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Illinidiva on January 19, 2013 at 12:42 PM

That’s the problem. He DID get a consultant. The result was the slow-paced zombie SOTU response. You can’t slow his brain down without putting him on major downers. You can’t slow his mouth down without making him come across like a thorazine-injected psychotic, due to the disconnect in speed between brain and mouth.

Jindal just has to talk as fast as his brain and hope that he seems smart and sincere, even if folks don’t follow or listen.

After all, no one is actually listening to 0bama’s words either, are they?

cane_loader on January 19, 2013 at 1:37 PM

We need better leadership of the party.
If any demoncrat had done some of the things that the fat basturd from NJ has done to us they would have been tarred and feathered him in the demoncrat party.
No consequences in our party.
Hey its OK to blast the NRA. OK to go arm in arm with ozero a week before the election. OK to demand 40 billion more that you need for hurricane relief.
Christe is RINO version of Obama and needs to change parties right away.He has no party loyalty and does not belong with us.

rodguy911 on January 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I don’t know what RINO’s smoke or what reality they live in, but it’s pretty strange.
The only extremism they ever see comes from their own party. But the extremism they complain about never compares to the extremism of the people they put their arms around and praise.

Like the NRA ad, for example. No children were actually used as props in the making of the video. No assault weapons were sold. No drug cartels were armed. No border patrol agents were murdered.
You can’t say the same for Fast and Furious… but in a RINO’s world.. Fast and Furious doesn’t exist. It’s not there. Can’t see it. Can’t hear it. Can’t speak about it.

But that NRA ad… oh my… horribly reprehensible. But selling guns to Mexican drug cartels?

You know… you point something like that out to a RINO and you’d be called an extremist. Point out the truth, mentioning the obvious is extremist to a RINO. They live in a totally alternate reality.

JellyToast on January 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Well, the good thing is, I won’t have to argue with some Moron, who just called “The Fat Man” a Conservative. The Biggest rino of them all, has given up his opportunity to win the WH. He thinks he’s politicking with the best of em. I say don’t burst his bubble til the primaries in 2016.

God Bless America!

paratisi on January 19, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Christie creamed.

Farenht451 on January 19, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I don’t see why anyone should be surprised that Rand tried to reach out to grassroots conservatives.He ran for a statewide Senate seat,not a relatively small district as a Congressman like his Dad where all it took to get re-elected was to bring more pork back home than any other congressman.

redware on January 19, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Wow.. the lefty troll is giving the Republican party political advice.

Yeppers:

“Beware of Greeks bearing gifts.”

melle1228 on January 19, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Oh and Christie deserves the criticism,and is finished as far as 2016 is concerned.As a matter of fact he was finished before his anti-NRA and Sandy tantrums.He is to the left of even Romney on too many social issues to get the nomination,and even if he did get it he would lose the general just like ev ery other CINO does.Just ask McClame and Mittens!

redware on January 19, 2013 at 2:23 PM

A consultant actually helped him with that speech?? I thought that he was just on Sudafed or something.

I do think that there are things that Jindal could probably do to help his communication style. Ryan has the exact same problem for the exact same reason, and he is a noticeably better speaker than he was in 2008/ 2009. I’m assuming that someone worked with him on it. Perhaps Jindal just got a really bad communications consultant recommended by Mitt Romney.

Illinidiva on January 19, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I always admired Christie’s honesty but now I see it as the usual self-serving rhetoric. I wonder what Ann Coulter thinks?

HellCat on January 19, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Chris Christie have always been a gun grabber. He use every chance he gets to take away our freedom.

jdun on January 19, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Inflated sense of importance, eh?

assniff85 on January 19, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Maybe. But if fat boy loses 100 pounds and actually tries to run as a Republican in three years, mark my words: he’ll tack hilariously to the right in a vain attempt to pander for conservative votes. And I do mean vain.

I think AP is right and within a year fat boy will see that his only route is 3rd party, with the Huntsman clown troupe.

Jaibones on January 19, 2013 at 3:00 PM