Quotes of the day

posted at 9:16 pm on January 18, 2013 by Allahpundit

Since the Federal Assault Weapons Ban expired in September 2004, murder and overall violent-crime rates have fallen. In 2003, the last full year before the law expired, the U.S. murder rate was 5.7 per 100,000 people, according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Uniform Crime Report. By 2011, the murder rate fell to 4.7 per 100,000 people. One should also bear in mind that just 2.6% of all murders are committed using any type of rifle.

The large-capacity ammunition magazines used by some of these killers are also misunderstood. The common perception that so-called “assault weapons” can hold larger magazines than hunting rifles is simply wrong. Any gun that can hold a magazine can hold one of any size. That is true for handguns as well as rifles. A magazine, which is basically a metal box with a spring, is trivially easy to make and virtually impossible to stop criminals from obtaining. The 1994 legislation banned magazines holding more than 10 bullets yet had no effect on crime rates…

If we finally want to deal seriously with multiple-victim public shootings, it’s time that we acknowledge a common feature of these attacks: With just a single exception, the attack in Tucson last year, every public shooting in the U.S. in which more than three people have been killed since at least 1950 has occurred in a place where citizens are not allowed to carry their own firearms.

***

Nearly twice as many voters say there would be less violent crime if more law-abiding Americans owned guns, than if guns were banned.

In addition, while American voters generally favor strengthening gun laws, 71 percent do not think tougher laws can stop shootings like the one last month in Newtown, Connecticut. Some 22 percent say new laws can prevent the next Sandy Hook…

Majorities of gun owners (81 percent), non-gun owners (58 percent), Democrats (58 percent), independents (72 percent) and Republicans (85 percent) say the people who do these kinds of things “will always find the guns” to commit violent acts.

***

The NRA is already in the midst of a membership boom, as the actions taken by Obama — and, in particular, his executive orders — convince people that the threat of the government seizing guns or limiting gun ownership is real and, because it is, a counter-weight to that government is needed. (To be clear: Obama has never said anything that would suggest confiscation of guns is a possibility.)

According to NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanadam, the group has added 250,000 new members since gun control re-emerged in the national debate and added 400,000 more followers to its Facebook page (from 1.6 million to 2 million). Arulanadam wouldn’t disclose any information about the pace of donations to the NRA over that same time period, but it’s hard to imagine that hasn’t heavily increased as well…

The likelihood of a small-bore bill coupled with the near-certainty of record growth in membership and money are a sort of best-of-both-worlds scenario for the NRA.

***

Even allowing for spikes in gun sales that follow every mass killing in the United States and attendant political debates about gun control, industry executives said the surge seems unprecedented

In some areas, a buyer walking into a gun store now will have to wait up to a year to buy a military-style assault weapon. The prices of available semiautomatics have doubled as buyers bid up the dwindling supply, and stocks of Glock handguns are also low…

Nationally, there were 2,783,765 background checks last month, an increase of 38 percent over November, according to FBI statistics. That is the single highest month since 1998, the year the FBI launched the program as a requirement of the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act. On Dec. 21, the FBI processed 177,170 background checks, a single-day record.

***

One thing hasn’t changed: [Obama's] agenda includes mostly measures that will have little or no effect on the problems they are supposed to address. They are Potemkin remedies—presentable facades with empty space behind them.

This is something that supporters as well as opponents labor to conceal. Treating them as serious allows them both to posture for their own advantage…

The mistakes Obama is making are familiar ones: exploiting misconceptions about guns, exaggerating the value of symbolic actions and presuming that new laws will foil incorrigible lawbreakers. The assault weapons ban was irrelevant to fighting crime before, which is no reason it can’t be irrelevant again.

***

As your Sheriff, I have taken an oath of office to support and uphold the Constitution of the United States, and to protect the people of Yavapai County. I take this oath seriously.

Now we have politicians that want to prevent millions of law abiding, honest Americans from owning certain firearms and magazines because of the mentally ill and violent criminal offenders.

I do not believe that extreme acts of violent criminal behavior should ever misguide a politician into enacting orders or laws that would take away Constitutional Rights and Liberties from law-abiding Americans.

As Sheriff, I refuse to participate or cooperate with any unconstitutional order that will infringe upon our 2nd amendment rights.

***

On Monday, Texas State Rep. Steve Toth, who represents an area near Houston, announced he would file legislation “assisting the protection of the Second Amendment.”

Named the “Firearms Protection Act,” the bill would make “any federal law banning semi-automatic firearms or limiting the size of gun magazines unenforceable within the state’s boundaries” and most notably “anyone trying to enforce a federal gun ban could face felony charges under the proposal.”

“We can no longer depend on the Federal Government and this Administration to uphold a Constitution that they no longer believe in,” Toth said in a release. “The liberties of the People of Texas and the sovereignty of our State are too important to just let the Federal Government take them away.”

***

Click the image to watch.

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

Nite Jackie. Moon goddess deserves beauty rest.

SparkPlug on January 19, 2013 at 1:48 AM

One of my favorite songs with Clapton

Cream – “Badge”

Anti-Control on January 19, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Eric Clapton – It’s In The Way That You Use It

SWalker on January 19, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Very good one.

4Grace on January 19, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Eric Clapton – It’s In The Way That You Use It

SWalker on January 19, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Very good one.

4Grace on January 19, 2013 at 1:49 AM

BWAHAHAHAH… time for me to listen to my favorite guitar player… Which of course would be….. ME…. ya’ll are lucky I can’t pipe it in live… O_O ;p

SWalker on January 19, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Don’t forget Sherm! Another one not fond of O/T stuff. Nope, not fond at all.

4Grace on January 19, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Would that be Sherman1864?

Also, yes, about the smoke piece…but don’t smoke.

Schadenfreude on January 19, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Tex Williams – “Smoke Smoke Smoke (That Cigarette)”

Anti-Control on January 19, 2013 at 1:55 AM

A few days ago I was jinxed. I read SWalkers blog and it went away.

Just think what it can do for you.

SparkPlug on January 19, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Anti-Control on January 19, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Yes, I believe that’s the same Sherm.

4Grace on January 19, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Anti-Control on January 19, 2013 at 1:55 AM

I always liked this cover of I Can’t Help Falling In Love.

4Grace on January 19, 2013 at 1:59 AM

One of 0dumba’s and Holder’s favorite song titles

Joe South – “These Are Not My People”

Anti-Control on January 19, 2013 at 1:59 AM

I just spent ten minutes trying to find Firefly episodes online for free viewing, but failed. . : (

listens2glenn on January 19, 2013 at 12:53 AM

They are on NetFlix. Do the free 30 day trial, watch and then cancel! Problem solved.

Night Owl on January 19, 2013 at 12:55 AM

$20 at Walmart. But be sure and locate the Serenity movie as well, because it ties up the loose ends from the TV series. That one’s usually about $5.

There Goes The Neighborhood on January 19, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Anti-Control on January 19, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Lolz

4Grace on January 19, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Yes, I believe that’s the same Sherm.

4Grace on January 19, 2013 at 1:57 AM

haha

He told me just yesterday that he’d have had more respect for Lance Armstrong if he had instead chose to go to his grave lying about his cheating! Some people…

I always liked this cover of I Can’t Help Falling In Love.

4Grace on January 19, 2013 at 1:59 AM

I liked it more than I thought I would – I am a pretty big Elvis fan! :)

Anti-Control on January 19, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Mike & the Mechanics: The Living Years

4Grace on January 19, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Lance Arnstrong has been accused of cheating?

These accusers are just jealous h8rs because he won so many gold medals in the bicycle Olympics. They can all pound sand.

Magic 8 ball says:

Lance didn’t cheat.

SparkPlug on January 19, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Magic 8 ball says:

Lance didn’t cheat.

SparkPlug on January 19, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Yeah, but did La Oprah trust the Magic 8 Ball? Did the public? Did the USADA? Noooooooo. That’ll learn ‘em. They will check in with you next time, for sure!!

4Grace on January 19, 2013 at 2:16 AM

I don’t own a Magic 8 Ball like SparkPlug and yet I know for a fact that I’m very sleepy. Hmmm

Goodnight Spark, Anti-C, and anyone else still up!

4Grace on January 19, 2013 at 2:19 AM

There Goes The Neighborhood on January 19, 2013 at 2:04 AM

I think of this band every time I see your s/n lol

These guys unfortunately got called racists but weren’t at all – they were into satire. How seriously could anyone have taken a band that named one of their EPs, “Cutest Band In Hardcore”? :)

Chronic Sick – “There Goes the Neighborhood”

One of the great punk songs imo

Chronic Sick – “Dress Code”

Anti-Control on January 19, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Goodnight Spark, Anti-C, and anyone else still up!

4Grace on January 19, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Goodnight!

Anti-Control on January 19, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Goodnight Spark, Anti-C, and anyone else still up!

4Grace on January 19, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Man see how you all are… I step outside to smoke a J play a little guitar, and ya’ll up and sneak off…

SWalker on January 19, 2013 at 2:36 AM

SWalker on January 19, 2013 at 2:36 AM

I’m telling people that reading your blog will get rid of their jinxes if they have any and will stimulate their brain.

SparkPlug on January 19, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Lance didn’t cheat.

SparkPlug on January 19, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Nope – Lance was “winning”, like Charlie Sheen!

Anti-Control on January 19, 2013 at 2:45 AM

SWalker on January 19, 2013 at 2:36 AM

The Strangeloves – “Night Time

Anti-Control on January 19, 2013 at 2:49 AM

A little more Eric…

SWalker on January 19, 2013 at 1:38 AM

I missed this post before – oops! :)

Anti-Control on January 19, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Anti-Control

My wife is in fact a goddess! Now why she chose a mere mortal like me, I am not so sure:)Mrs Marshfox’s non de plume is Lila Munro(you can find her works on Amazon)

Now, I am in fact not good with bluegill, because she evidently cannot be bothered to talk or respond to poor white trash. Evidently my sarcasm was not to her liking. Why I can’t tell you.

Those post by the way were mutually exclusive, as I don not share the Goddess(Lila Munro) unless she is story telling to the creatures of the Glade:)

MarshFox on January 19, 2013 at 3:06 AM

Obama is “wrong handed”…. just sayin’….

Yakko77 on January 19, 2013 at 3:07 AM

NY Mayor Warns Of “Waco-Style Standoff” Over Gun Control Laws

rayra on January 19, 2013 at 3:33 AM

Doesn’t matter if crime has gone up or gone down…our rights are our rights.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 19, 2013 at 3:47 AM

Good morning bluegill. How are you this fine sat morning?
Sleep well?

bazil9 on January 19, 2013 at 6:50 AM

I wonder if cms shows up on Saturdays..
No Joe.
Got the coffee brewing cms..
waiting for u and KJ’s “take”.

Kool will read this later. *waves*

bazil9 on January 19, 2013 at 6:53 AM

There has been only one time I needed to take out
a gun..and that one time..thanked God I had it.
May not be here now if not or here but with a brutal assault on record.
Oh yeah but after.. I got rid of it..no
guns here..nope.

bazil9 on January 19, 2013 at 7:02 AM

Really at the SHOT Show they should be awarding Obama the ‘Gun Salesman of the Year Award’ and ‘Ammo Salesman of the Year Award’, plus a Lifetime Achievement Award on both…unlike the Nobel Peace Prize, Obama has actually earned them! In just 4 years one Leftist President has done more to awaken the gun culture in the US than any other President you can name.

ajacksonian on January 19, 2013 at 7:21 AM

ajacksonian on January 19, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Irony, huh?
True..

bazil9 on January 19, 2013 at 7:26 AM

I just love that smirk on the face of the President as he signs that EO; it just screams: Well, I really fooled them this time!

Another Drew on January 19, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Wait no longer, bazil9! O/t: We’ve gone from “Ronnie Raygun” to “The Shakiest Gun in the West”
Wait a minute…Can I say “gun”?
My take.

kingsjester on January 19, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Another Drew on January 19, 2013 at 7:49 AM

I can’t helop thinking that he and the Mooch get together every night and laugh at what they were able to get away with that day.

Remember the “all this over a damn flag” comment? That’s them. Two grifters getting away with it.

Cleombrotus on January 19, 2013 at 7:54 AM

kingsjester on January 19, 2013 at 7:52 AM

good morning KJ

i blame the dems and the lsm and the folks who stayed on the couch for the monstrosity we have in the office….it will only get worse and our enemies are lovin’ it

cmsinaz on January 19, 2013 at 8:21 AM

cmsinaz on January 19, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Yes, ma’am. Farming that Hostage Rescue Attempt out to Arab “Special Forces” was a very stupid and feckless call.

kingsjester on January 19, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Did anyone see Hannity last night?

Want to increase gun ownership even more? Get that woman who demonstrated four or five weapons on his show last night. An excellent shooter with a pleasant southern accent and wonderful presentational skills. Oh, and she was hotter than Hades!

In demonstrating the AR-15, she said that her five-year-old nephew had used her AR-15 with the last month to “harvest his first deer.” I’d love to see a liberal audience’s reaction to her segment.

Seriously, look for a Hannity rerun tonight or tomorrow night. The segments starts about half an hour into Hannity’s hour and last about 10 minutes or so.

BuckeyeSam on January 19, 2013 at 8:56 AM

He just wants to make it very difficult to obtain accessories and ammo, and he wants your name, address and what kind/kinds of weapons you have. I call it BS. What part of shall not infringed upon don’t these eggheads understand!

Kissmygrits on January 19, 2013 at 9:10 AM

BuckeyeSam on January 19, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I recorded it last night and just started playing it before reading your comment. I like his show.

Naturally Curly on January 19, 2013 at 9:34 AM

B9

SparkPlug on January 19, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Finally…li’l bammie created some “public sector” jobs.

Now where does one get an application for Senior Cigarette Bootlegger?

Sounds profitable!