Obama for America is morphing into a nonprofit advocacy group

posted at 1:11 pm on January 18, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

We all knew that the campaign machinery Team Obama has built up over the past few years was going to continue to work to push President Obama’s agenda, but in what capacity they’d be doing so wasn’t one hundred percent clear.

They can’t technically be a campaign anymore, and in the post-election lull, they moved into the DNC and renamed themselves Organizing for America, while certain Democrats have been laying on the pressure for the group to share the resource-wealth with Democratic candidates. Their further options included transforming those resources into a super PAC or a tax-exempt nonprofit, and it looks like they’ve decided upon the latter course of action:

The former Obama campaign will become a non-profit that will advocate for the president’s policies, the first such transition for a major political organization, according to a senior Democratic official.

Obama for America campaign manager Jim Messina will become chairman of the new group, and White House aide Jon Carson will join as executive director. The group will disclose its donors.

The new group will be called Organizing for Action and accept donations form individuals and corporations but not from lobbyists or PACs, the AP reported.

And it looks and sounds exactly what you’d expect it to look and sound like:

“…We should all be proud of what we accomplished, but let’s be clear: All that hard work was about more than just one election. So, if we want to finish what we started, and truly make that change we believe in, we can’t stop now. And that’s why today, I’m proud that our friend and supporters are launching Organizing for Action, the next phase of our movement for change. Supporters like you will be the heart of this organization, because, for the past six years, you’ve done something so much bigger than elect a president. You’ve given ordinary people a place in our democratic process again. …Winning an election won’t bring about the change we seek; it’s simply the chance to make that change.”

Again, I’m skeptical that they can garner quite the same kind of sustained enthusiasm for the everyday humdrum of politics that they managed for President Obama’s reelection, but I won’t be putting anything past them, either. It could turn out to be a formidable political weapon, and the precise type of communication machine that the GOP is sorely lacking:

The whole wide world is living in an age of always-on messaging, and the Republican Party is living in the age of Morse code. It isn’t that no one is listening to the GOP. There is nothing to hear.

Smarting from defeat by Barack Obama’s made-in-Silicon-Valley messaging network, congressional Republicans in Washington are getting tutorials to bring them into a Twitterized world. I have a simpler idea: First join the 20th-century communication revolution by creating an office of chief party spokesman. One for the House and one for the Senate.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

A drop is always a win.

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2013 at 3:39 PM

View the entire slide show.

p.s. on Che

3. Goes without saying that they are one and the same in philosophy.

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2013 at 3:17 PM

#12 is the absolute winner. I’ve never seen someone in their late 70′s dress like that before. The sad thing is that outfit might look really good on someone else, someone not decrepit, but we’ll never know because now no one else would be caught dead in it.

Night Owl on January 18, 2013 at 3:41 PM

And the Owl takes down a squid.
Well done.

Unfortunately, I don’t think Sesqui truely understands the concept of inner peace. Few liberals do.

Jabberwock on January 18, 2013 at 3:42 PM

And the Owl takes down a squid.
Well done.

Jabberwock on January 18, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Night Owl on January 18, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Jabberwock on January 18, 2013 at 3:42 PM

heh “inner peace”

sesquipedalian on January 18, 2013 at 3:45 PM

inner peace

sesquipedalian on January 18, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Sarah makes my thighs wet…and I’m a guy.
…how you doing Jab ?…moved and settled in?…doing better?KOOLAID2 on January 18, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Uh, what ?

Been in same place so long I am remodeling the original remodel.
No plan to move.
I am well, though. Only one in my family NOT to get sick since Christmas.
But, thanks for askin. I guess.

Jabberwock on January 18, 2013 at 3:49 PM

inner peace

sesquipedalian on January 18, 2013 at 3:50 PM

inner peace

sesquipedalian on January 18, 2013 at 3:51 PM

bluefox on January 18, 2013 at 3:16 PM

There are other groups mainly made up of people like us, so you would have to combine them all to make a fair comparison. I don’t belong to the NRA, but I might show up somewhere tomorrow to support them. Of course they mean Americans, else what would be the point of demonizing them (us)? It will be interesting to see if they can get their “base” out on a regular basis. It might start looking too much like a job and scare them off.

Night Owl on January 18, 2013 at 3:30 PM

LOL, thot I was a the wrong thread a minute or two ago. Well, there are other groups, i.e. Tea Party, Catholic and other Faith based organizations. Hey we’re shoppers too at Chik fil a, Hobby Lobby. In other words any that they don’t like:-) Speaking of the Tea Party, even Republicans hate us, ROFL Well, we must be doing something right or they wouldn’t bother with us:-)

bluefox on January 18, 2013 at 3:52 PM

inner peace

sesquipedalian on January 18, 2013 at 3:51 PM

I don’t keep an archive of other peoples pics on my computer.
Nor do I feel like searching.

Just take a look at the top of this thread. It’ll have to do.

Jabberwock on January 18, 2013 at 3:55 PM

sesquipedalian on January 18, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Those were candid moments, not ugliness. Anyway, my daughter, who is equally as pretty as me, came home, so we are going to go read the Bible and bake some cookies for homeless veterans while praying for your shriveled up soul.

Night Owl on January 18, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Ah Damn.
Sesquipedalian,
I have made it a general rule, for me on this site, not to spcifically comment on the physical appearance of a person.
Get involved on the edges, but nothing specific.
I did just that a moment ago and don’t feel real good about it.

Jabberwock on January 18, 2013 at 4:02 PM

bluefox on January 18, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Yep. They have a bunch of people they had to pay to go to events, and pay to go vote. I don’t think this is as much of a threat as they would like us to think. Remember how pathetic Obama is on any kind of follow through.

Night Owl on January 18, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Jabberwock on January 18, 2013 at 3:49 PM

*red faced*…(your handle is close to the pregnant lady that moved out of her home… with a little baby to another state…sorry!)

KOOLAID2 on January 18, 2013 at 4:07 PM

KOOLAID2 on January 18, 2013 at 4:07 PM

No worries. Hope she shows up again.

Just had a red face moment, up thread, myself.

BTW, When I log in “Jabber” is one the options.

Jabberwock on January 18, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Night Owl on January 18, 2013 at 3:59 PM

go look up the meaning of ‘candid’. some slip.

sesquipedalian on January 18, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Night Owl on January 18, 2013 at 3:59 PM

go look up the meaning of ‘candid’. some slip.

sesquipedalian
on January 18, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Go look up the meaning of life. (hint: it’s not in Webster’s most recent edition)

listens2glenn on January 18, 2013 at 4:51 PM

More propaganda, on your tax dime.

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Contentment

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2013 at 6:15 PM

for every rachel maddow there’s a dozen mila kunis.

y’all keep struggling with the concept of statistical analysis.

sesquipedalian on January 18, 2013 at 2:41 PM

…no AIR HEADS…but I know directions are hard!

KOOLAID2 on January 18, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Is this really legal to do?

sherrimae on January 19, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Obama for America is morphing into a nonprofit advocacy group

Yay…another money laundering operation.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 19, 2013 at 6:16 AM

Contentment

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Not a very flattering picture of Cornelius.

tom daschle concerned on January 19, 2013 at 8:34 AM