Lance Armstrong: Yes, I am in fact the liar you always suspected me of being

posted at 9:31 am on January 18, 2013 by Allahpundit

A few highlights from last night’s garish media contrition ritual. If you want more, Oprah’s site has clips. What makes him any different from other liars, in or out of sports? Just the sheer doggedness of his lies, really: The third clip will take you on a quick tour of his faux indignation through the years, but it’s the second clip, where he describes suing people aggressively to get them to clam up about his doping, that shows how far he was willing to go. Read WaPo’s fact-check piece, titled “Is Lance Armstrong the world’s biggest liar?”, for other how-dare-you lowlights from his career since he was first accused of cheating. On a scale of one to four “Pinocchios,” they give him … 28.

Even this interview was something of a lie if you believe the Times. Supposedly, the reason he’s coming clean now is because he wants to compete in triathlons and running events but is barred under the World Anti-Doping Code that typically governs competitions like those. Confessing his sins to a media figure with a quasi-religious following might get his lifetime ban lifted, so here he is. From self-interested faux indignation to self-interested “remorse.” Exit quotation from David Zurawik:

Winfrey brought up the names of some of his victims, and that’s where he got an upgrade in my mind from narcissist to sociopath. He smiled at the memory of calling one woman “crazy.” And he actually seemed to be amused by the fact that one woman said he had called her a “fat, crazy bitch,” when, in fact, according to him, he had not called her “fat” — just the other two.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Who cares? The consensus seems to be that everyone in the sport was doping. If he doped all he did was make the playing field level. By “cheating” he didn’t gain an advantage over other cyclists because they were ostensibly all doing the same. So what’s the bfd?

dczombie on January 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM

There is a place somewhere in Obama’s cabinet for Armstrong, I am sure of it!

Sherman1864 on January 18, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Confessing.

Bmore on January 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Lance Armstrong “I would give my left nut to win” – Oh wait…….

redguy on January 18, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Just another example of why athlete-/celebrity-worship is nauseating.

Jeddite on January 18, 2013 at 9:39 AM

another malignant narcissist in a country headed by one.
i could care less about grown men on bicycles- even though it is a fervid cult in france- personally however why is the US postal service always broke and in debt giving money to sponsor a bike racing team? that mess needs to stop.

mittens on January 18, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Then why is he “sorry”? Why’d he sue people? Why was it apparently so important for his fans — at least in Armstrong’s opinion for years and years — to believe that he wasn’t doping?

Allahpundit on January 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM

No he isn’t. He competed in bicycle races in France. A couple of things that don’t affect me at all.

Meanwhile, we have someone in Washington D.C., who’s about to commit a most egregious lie on Monday, for the second time. Which does affect me and my Constitutional rights.

rbj on January 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM

There is a place somewhere in Obama’s cabinet for Armstrong, I am sure of it!

Sherman1864 on January 18, 2013 at 9:37 AM

…first thing I was thinking!…there ARE openings!

KOOLAID2 on January 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM

…The consensus seems to be that everyone in the sport was doping. If he doped all he did was make the playing field level.

dczombie on January 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM

THIS!

It’s nice to have someone else on HG who understands the MO of the European peleton. They ought to lift the ban on any and all drugs and physical performance enhancement and let all of them ride around like little chemistry experiments.

When half a dozen of of these “A” personality bastages vapor lock a click from the Alpe D’Huez finish line, then the others will realize that it isn’t worth it.

The War Planner on January 18, 2013 at 9:42 AM

dczombie on January 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM

The difference here is that Armstrong was an inspirational figure to millions and built a successful cycling career and a personal fortune reportedly in the 9 figure range and it was all based on a lie. If he was just some random schmoe who participated in the Tour de France and later got busted for doping, no big deal. But he was a lot more than that.

Doughboy on January 18, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Allahpundit on January 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM

..easy, Sarge, it’s only life — and no one gets out alive!

The War Planner on January 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Just think if the media applied, say 3% of their all out effort on Lance, to Benghazi or Fast N Furious…sickening sycophants…

hillsoftx on January 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM

“Who cares? The consensus seems to be that everyone in the sport was doping.”

Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens agree.

BallisticBob on January 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM

So you have no interest in any subject that doesn’t directly affect you. Fair enough.

Allahpundit on January 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Livestrong. What a disgusting joke.

Cicero43 on January 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM

This Armstrong quasi confessional is farcical and not particularly high quality farce at that.

workingclass artist on January 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Liestrong.

hillsoftx on January 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Squirrel. Meanwhile, our illustrious President lies to us by the minute and tells us to ignore the evidence contradicting his every statement because it’s 1)for the children; 2)for our own good; 3)for the good of the country. Pfft. I give not one whit for Lance Armstrong and his lies. They have no effect on me whatsoever. Barack Obama’s lies? They do and those are the real issue here.

totherightofthem on January 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM

“Who cares? The consensus seems to be that everyone in the sport was doping.”

Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens agree.

BallisticBob on January 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Exactly. A whole bunch of players in MLB were doping in the 90s, but that doesn’t minimize the con job McGwire and Sosa(and frankly all of baseball) pulled on a captivated American public back in 1998. That home run record chase which helped bring the league back from the brink after the strike turned out to be a load of BS. As did Bonds’ subsequent breaking of McGwire’s new record a few years later.

Doughboy on January 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM

..easy, Sarge, it’s only life — and no one gets out alive!

The War Planner on January 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I get tired of the “who cares?” people turning out anytime someone famous is caught in a moral transgression. You’ll find them on every site on the ‘Net. They’re completely predictable. Here’s the proper answer to “who cares?” in Armstrong’s case:

1. If everyone in the sport is doping, then legalize doping for cycling.

2. If doping is wrong, the fact that everyone is doing it isn’t a justification for Armstrong. It’s an indictment of everyone else.

3. It’s not just the doping. It’s the endless, nasty, aggressive lies about it for years and years, replete with lawsuits. Armstrong could have argued the “who cares?” position here. He didn’t. Instead, he tried to destroy people for telling the truth about him.

Allahpundit on January 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Armstrong is now qualified to run for office?

workingclass artist on January 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM

What a dope.

Electrongod on January 18, 2013 at 9:51 AM

dczombie on January 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I think if the ancient greeks had steroid knowledge, they would have embraced them wholeheartedly. They would love to have put on the biggest freak show on earth.

Red Creek on January 18, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Let’s hope that the people he sued and ruined get a chance to get their money and reputations back from this well funded creep. I’m really pleased that the sport and authorities are putting a genuine effort into cleaning up the sport. As long as people like Lance were allowed to profit from cheating and get away with it, competitors were under real pressure to risk their health and take performance enhancing drugs to compete at the highest level. Seeing how that turns out, even after beating the tests, will hopefully make the current crop of competitors think twice before cheating.

lexhamfox on January 18, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Lol, that’s a classic!

Dongemaharu on January 18, 2013 at 9:53 AM

He really thought he could get away with it and a lot of people didn’t want to believe this was possible (even though it was always highly likely). He really would have been better off getting out in front of this instead of swearing at everyone, lying his azz off, and hinting at some dark conspiracy against Americans.

CorporatePiggy on January 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Allahpundit on January 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Oh no, I am interested. I do slow down at car wrecks too. (Honestly.) I’m also interested in the Manti Te’o story.

I just think that a performance enhancing drug user (and for that, do we include people who use aspirin before or after a workout, to enable them to work out) is not the biggest liar when we’ve got someone who is going to swear fidelity to the Constitution and then turn around and essentially violate it. A document, and a philosophy that he holds in contempt. “the Constitution is a charter of negative liberties”

rbj on January 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Allahpundit on January 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM

X10

It really is the most pathetic response.

lexhamfox on January 18, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Part of the reason people find sports fascinating is because they think they’re watching more or less “normal” human beings doing superhuman things on the field. If we want a freak show where guys are openly encouraged to use PEDs and do things that even top athletes who aren’t on drugs can’t do — which is arguably preferable to what we have now, where tons of guys use drugs secretly — then okay. But change the rules. Why maintain a charade?

Allahpundit on January 18, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Call me a redneck if you will, but ain’t this a ‘grown’ ‘man’ that made his living wearing spandex and riding a bicycle in France, and left his wife and kids for a millionaire rock star that sings about commie ideals?

And now I’m supposed to be surprised and dismayed that he cheated in his endeavors by taking drugs?

Well, as I try, on a daily basis, to act like I deserve to own that which is hanging between my legs -that is, like a man- I have more important things to give a crap about.

M240H on January 18, 2013 at 9:56 AM

No Lance thread would be complete without this. Too bad. Many folks looked up to him. Now he’s just a washed up liar. Pathetic.

Bmore on January 18, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Gay men in fab colored spandex—>Don’t want.

Mr. Arrogant on January 18, 2013 at 9:59 AM

rbj on January 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Yes – and our tax dollars went to oversee a private enterprise such as cycling races via USADA. Don’t mind our $16.5T debt, we got the cycling cheater! Silly.

LaughterJones on January 18, 2013 at 10:00 AM

YOU BASTAGE!!!
By the way, this is likely his redemption start… Like Tiger Woods, no evil doing can keep a man down when he can make money for his sponsors…

astonerii on January 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM

1. If everyone in the sport is doping, then legalize doping for cycling.

Allahpundit on January 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Those are all valid points. I am not on the bandwagon of shrugging over every moral transgression of the rich and famous, but I have a hard time getting worked up over the Armstrong issue because of just how widespread the cheating was/is in cycling. If I understand correctly it’s a far more rampant issue than even in MLB. In truth, Armstrong is a gifted athelete who dominated a sport in which virtually everyone is cheating in the same ways. I guess for me it just seems clear that if everyone in the sport was clean, Armstrong still would have dominated.

To your points, I think that the rules should be changed at least to some extent. People shouldn’t be able to roid up, but who cares if they use medicated cream to relieve chafing or do a blood transfusion to improve circulation or whatever it is?

Your third point I think really explains the outrage in a way that I hadn’t considered. I am willing to conceed that he’s a lying sack of excrement and a bully and all that. I also think he’s still the greatest champion of his sport despite his being a total dbag.

dczombie on January 18, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Armstrong and Te’o, 2 wonderful examples of Clintocractic disciples. Bubba taught us all that it was an asset to be able to master the professional lie. When done well it will bring you fame and fortune. It began as an art form, with Clinton.

PaCadle on January 18, 2013 at 10:06 AM

dczombie on January 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM

So whomever has the best doctors, the most advanced bio tech wins?

And different people totally react differently with these enhancement drugs…

Along with that, their were riders who did not go along with the illegal drugs, and Lance made sure they were drummed out of the competition…

What a strange way of thinking you have…it’s okay to cheat if most of the other are also cheating…I guess that is what has happened to honor in the U.S….if he does it, I can do it…very sad, your post says much more than the words indicate.

right2bright on January 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM

another ABC video, another script error

hillsoftx on January 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM

my take exactly, I was sitting on my couch drinking coffee this morning, reading the blogs, etc and the Lance Armstrong stuff came on afew minutes after 7. I switched to Fox Business, MSLSD, ABC, CBS and NBC. 6 for 6 at the same exact time I had nothing to see but Oprah, Lance and whatever pathetic opininators yammering about him lying. A bike racer lying. I don’t have to care about it because I know he will be excoriated whether I do or not.

Meanwhil, in Realville our president, his cabinet and most of congress are stealing our futures, the mideast and Africa are boiling over and our military is being decimated. The things I really care are not being covered anywhere but on these blogs and Fox. Yeah Allah, lecture us some more. We really need it.

DanMan on January 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM

It began as an art form, with Clinton.

PaCadle on January 18, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Deny, deny, deny, until they have proof beyond any doubt, than become contrite and a victim…
And the American public laps it up…

It used to be, if caught in a lie, your punishment was much greater, in fact I believe old Jewish law was whatever your damage your lie created, it was cast upon you, sometime many fold.

Now it’s almost admired about how “clever” some are at skirting the issue.

right2bright on January 18, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Not surprised!

gophergirl on January 18, 2013 at 10:16 AM

right2bright on January 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM

First of all, don’t go putting words in my mouth that I didn’t say or attributing to me motives or viewpoints I didn’t express. That’s a play from the worn out lefty playbook and I’ll have none of it.

So let me be clear. I don’t think one person cheating makes it ok for another to do so. I don’t think being a total dick is cool. I think that when you have a sport where everyone at the top was cheating it’s silly to tear down the greatest champion of the sport just because….he did the same thing everyone else was doing.

I am not a big fan or follower of cycling, but I suppose I always liked seeing Lance Armstrong win because the fact that he is an American always pissed the French off so much. How many of us didn’t just love seeing the smug French have to acknowledge an American as the champion of their greatest sporting event?

Now as the man comes crashing down off his pedestal I just can’t muster outrage that Armstrong competed in the same way that his competitors apparently did. Now, to Allah’s point, it turns out Armstrong is a total bloviating, bullying, lying dbag. I find that to be more upsetting than the fact that he competed on a level, if dirty, field in the sport of cycling.

Again – I don’t accept the premise of your comment. I reject it fully. I invite you to retract your disparaging comments about me.

dczombie on January 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Who cares?

dczombie on January 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM

What is worse in life than using your power to abuse others? That’s what he did. He ruined people.

Paul-Cincy on January 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Allahpundit on January 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Yea Allah, that’s the point that rubs me. We had a “grow vagina’s night and watch Oprah” with a bunch of the cycling people and this was the point that everyone had issue with. Notwithstanding the drugs – we all *know* most everyone did them, that’s been the MO (not saying we agree with it). It’s the I’m going to take you out, sue you, be a “bully” as he put it that rubbed everyone wrong. Go ask Greg Lemond what he thinks of Lance’s tactics in that arena? LOL – I’m no fan of Lemond either (he’s a real douche bag too), but even after what happened with Trek, him being treated crap, he was right and Armstrong knew he was right.

I have a more significant issue – there are TONS of people that aided and abetted his usage to make a dime: USPS, Oakley, Nike, Trek, etc, etc.. Anyone of these organizations could have put a full stop to it, but the gravy train was too much. It has a complete parallelism about it to the financial control fraud, where multiple shareholders get gain from the doping. It’s awful for that, which was the opinion of our viewing group last night.

SkinnerVic on January 18, 2013 at 10:24 AM

It ain’t the crime, it’s the cover-up. I guess we’ve seen this before.

22044 on January 18, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Paul-Cincy on January 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Yeah he was *the* most powerful man in cycling for a long time and apparently he did get people fired, demoted, and dropped from teams and suppliers. Hence why he is seen by some as being quite the little sociopath.

I’m not saying everyone with one ball is like the little funny looking man from Austria though.

/Goddard

CorporatePiggy on January 18, 2013 at 10:25 AM

hillsoftx on January 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM

^^This^^

GWB on January 18, 2013 at 10:26 AM

When is he going to get arrested?

albill on January 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM

In other words the dude is a first-class ahole who cheated his way to the top.

Bishop on January 18, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Doughboy on January 18, 2013 at 9:42 AM

He was Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year in 2002. Only cyclist ever to get that honor, and it was not just for his cycling.

I can’t wait to see SI’s takedown of him in a few weeks.

Just so unbelievable to me, coming on the heels of the fall of Joe Paterno. Makes you wonder what’s next — Mike Krzyzewski has had a secret life as a sex trafficker for 30 years?

rockmom on January 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM

So disappointing. What a douchenozzle.

ronsfi on January 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM

If Lance spent half the effort or half as much time training as he did covering up the fact that he’s a cheater.. he might have won without doping.

Opinionnation on January 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Allahpundit on January 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM

And I defended the guy a couple of times.

Eddie:
If only I had that money Catherine and I gave to that TV preacher who was screwin’ that hockey player.

Clark:
What about the kids, Eddie?

Eddie:
Oh, his kids can fend for themselves.

Axe on January 18, 2013 at 10:35 AM

rbj on January 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Yup. Meanwhile we are supposed to be astonished that a guy who peddles his azz around is a doper, and a college football player is a delusional moron.

katy the mean old lady on January 18, 2013 at 10:36 AM

When is he going to get arrested?

albill on January 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I heard that the statute of limitations had expired for any crimes, but he could get sued by lots of people and potentially lose his fortune.

22044 on January 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM

He’s 41. Is there a geezer class? It didn’t help Pete Rose, though it did get him a reality show at age 71.

I think he is doing this because he anticipates facing prison time and he is trying to mitigate any potential sentence that is imposed.

Blake on January 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM

You know, this is just another example of the original “crime” being bad, but not as bad as lying about it over and over and over again, year after year after year. The same with Weiner, Clinton, Edwards, etc. It makes them more despicable than if they had just fessed up to their wrongdoings and suffered the consequences like real men. In his case, though, he should be punished for fraud, since he enriched himself through his lies and cheating.

scalleywag on January 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM

So, how soon can we expect every one of his sponsors to sue to recoup every cent of their money?

Pork-Chop on January 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Feed him to the legal system and let all the people he’s lied to and tried to destroy get their pound of flesh. Beyond being impressed that anyone could win 7 titles in a row, he’s never made the list of people I truly admire because in the back of my mind I never thought he was for real. It just wasn’t important enough for me to discuss before and this is the last time I’ll comment on the sad story of misplaced faith and admiration that comes with this guy.

Parting question though, where are the interviews with his ex girlfriend Sheryl Crow (she of the one square of toilet paper is enough…er, movement)? What did she know and when did she know it?

CitizenEgg on January 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM

22044 on January 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM

This was the other issue with our group that watched it last night: Why now? There are so many things that stink with “coming clean” without naming names, times, dates that makes an “I’m sorry” so void of any meaning. I’m all for being contrite when facing up to a wrong, but going back to my point earlier, there are SO MANY PLAYERS THAT PROFITED. How about naming people inside Trek, USPS, Nike, that *knew*, outing them for the MILLIONS and MILLIONS they made of these guys doing “what it took to win”. There are deeper pockets than Armstrong. But just like in Fast & Furious, Corzine (MFG), etc, those people operate by *different* laws = it will be a big serving of Nothingburger for getting any of those ill-gotten gains back.

SkinnerVic on January 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM

There’s the NFL for that

brak on January 18, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Pork-Chop on January 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM

See above, it should be the other way around. The “sponsors” made their money back in SPADES. How many fricking bikes you think Trek sold off that lying sack of crap? It’s so “convenient” they just cancel their association but not make right with the consumers that bought their products because of the fraud.

SkinnerVic on January 18, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I’ll admit, I believed him all this time. To lie so adamantly, for so long, and throw so many other people under the bus in the process is almost too hard to believe. In quick order, he’s gone from a figure of strength and resolve, battling cancer and coming out on top of the cycling world, to one of disgrace. What a spectacular fall.

changer1701 on January 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I don’t think he’s sorry, not in the least.

scalleywag on January 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM

When is he going to get arrested?

albill on January 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM

It does make me wonder with all those suppression lawsuits he filed if he ever made a statement on one of those legal documents that was a lie.

DrAllecon on January 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM

The new bracelets are in! http://twitpic.com/bw9jxq

The Zoo Keeper on January 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM

dczombie on January 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Do you know what you just said? You said it isn’t okay to do it just because others do, but also it’s “silly” to criticize someone when they do? So it’s wrong to do it but also wrong for us to criticize and scorn them, just because others did it? Do you feel the same way about the President?
I think you’re trying too hard to appreciate whatever abilities Armstrong may or may not have had. See, we will never truly know and that is a problem. Oh sure you can say you can compare him to others who also doped but what about those who didn’t? And what about the fact that these drugs don’t have the same affect on everyone? They don’t level the playing field they muddy it.

Deanna on January 18, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Allahpundit on January 18, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I never got the hero worship in sports. They are not normal human beings – they are people who made a child’s game a full-time job and that is all they do. It is like being amazed an accountant can… account. Doping further destroys the nice illusion people have in their minds.

I enjoy seeing people getting taken off pedestals: athletes, teachers, police, politicians, celebrities.

antisense on January 18, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Let me be clear. (To quote someone, I can’t recall who. . .. /s) When I say I don’t give a fig, what I’m saying is, it’s a distraction and not of the utmost importance to those of us not personally involved or harmed by Armstrong. In other words, we have more important issues as a nation, with which to concern ourselves. By the same token, I don’t think Teo’s (sp?) fake girlfriend and her fake death are new items upon which we should focus ad nauseum. So, when I say I don’t care, it’s not to condone what he did/said and the bullying method by which he defended himself. It’s because I don’t think, in the grand scheme of things and the imminent worldwide economic collapse, that it’s all that important.

totherightofthem on January 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM

new=news

totherightofthem on January 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Oh, and people love these stupid little “American Idol” stories everyone gives these days. Oh, I battled cancer, my girlfriend died the same day my grandma died, my family was murdered by meteorites, whatever. This is the emotional idiocy that led to the 2nd Immaculation.

antisense on January 18, 2013 at 11:02 AM

What a spectacular fall.

changer1701 on January 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM

The only fall more spectacular I can think of is Tiger Woods who went from awesome golfer and devoted family man to creepy sex addict. And what do the two cases have in common? Enablers.

Happy Nomad on January 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM

When is he going to get arrested?

albill on January 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM

For what? He lied in court under oath but the potential to bring charges for that has expired (5yrs I think).

lexhamfox on January 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM

More important than the fact that he doped, and that everyone did as well, is that he got away with it. He passed doping tests, for the most part. How was he able to do that so consistently, and have the tests now been changed? Can they actually catch cheaters now?

juanito on January 18, 2013 at 11:18 AM

antisense on January 18, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Yeah, it isn’t enough to be good at something. If you didn’t struggle to keep away from gangs, have to deal with your home being destroyed by a herd of llamas, or some other “adversity” then you don’t have a shot at success. Oftentimes the “story” is more important than ability or accomplishment.

Happy Nomad on January 18, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Another liberal fraud. He was able to get get away with it because the liberal media was shilling for him. The one in the White House is the worst liar in the world.

sauldalinsky on January 18, 2013 at 11:20 AM

antisense on January 18, 2013 at 11:02 AM

There’s nothing wrong or stupid with that, if it helps other people overcome those same obstacles. That’s the worst part about this, imo…he’s sullied the good work he was doing via his foundation.

changer1701 on January 18, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Given the tactics he used to shield himself over the years his name should be changed from Lance Armstrong to Lance Strong-arm.

Blaise on January 18, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I want to know how he passed all those tests.

NbyNW on January 18, 2013 at 11:26 AM

dczombie on January 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I don’t have to put words in your mouth, your faux indignity is not unlike exactly the tactic Armstrong made to his critics. Go on the offense when you have been caught.

Read that paragraph again…those are your words not mine, it’s not okay, but it’s okay, all two sentences. It’s not okay, but it’s silly to attack the greatest champion, who became the greatest by cheating…okay, if that makes sense to you…

If you don’t mind, I will refuse your invitation…but thanks for the offer.

Amazing post…I wonder if you will get it after re-reading both of your posts. I doubt it…amazing.

right2bright on January 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Allahpundit on January 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Endorsements. His Charity. His Ego.

Mostly just for the money. Armstrong was a phenomenon of the 90′s and the 2000′s. Remember when John Kerry was wearing his Livestrong bracelet during the election and everyone thought how cool it was? Or when George W Bush went on a bike ride with Armstrong?

Armstrong wasn’t just a person anymore. He was a corporation.

portlandon on January 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I want to know how he passed all those tests.

NbyNW on January 18, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Phony blood. Phony urine. Probably some paid off lab people.

This whole thing stinks. If this can happen in cycling, imagine how much this goes on in the Olympics.

portlandon on January 18, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Allahpundit on January 18, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Even if legal, there will always be secrecy, because an athlete will want to keep his knowledge of PEDs or techniques away from the competition, so as to maintain his advantage. In a way, keeping it illegal helps to facilitate this clandestine chemical war between the athletes.

Red Creek on January 18, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I want to know how he passed all those tests.

NbyNW on January 18, 2013 at 11:26 AM

He had blood transfusions, literally in his support vans, after a race he would rush off to his van for “medical evaluation” by his staff, they had “clean” blood to replace his tainted blood…in one race, after hearing that the medical officers were waiting and testing immediately, he quit, hopped in a car, they gave the transfusion in the back of the car…never finished the race, but “passed” the test. This was not some gym rat taking ‘roids…
They say in traveling, his doctor would travel ahead and set up a room in a hotel that looked like a doctors medical operating office…they say it was unbelievably sophisticated.

right2bright on January 18, 2013 at 11:34 AM

portlandon on January 18, 2013 at 11:32 AM

A lot less, because the athletes have to stay in the village.

right2bright on January 18, 2013 at 11:35 AM

A few highlights from last night’s garish media contrition ritual.

Great line from Allah.

SparkPlug on January 18, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Tour de farce!

can_con on January 18, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I want to know how he passed all those tests.

NbyNW on January 18, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Super simple – They weren’t testing except at the races by his own admission last night, and they knew what they would be testing for. If you know the “material” for the test, you change your MO to adapt. I’m pretty sure there were some blind eyes to some hanky mess, but by the same token the UCI would have *loved* to stick it to an American to save their own. That is why Floyd got caught – did it during the race, way too hot, not flying under the radar.

SkinnerVic on January 18, 2013 at 11:37 AM

SkinnerVic on January 18, 2013 at 11:37 AM

So you’re saying Lance didn’t dope during races, just between? Or he always knew what they were testing for, so used a different PED then? But the blood samples are kept, so preparing for a different test wouldn’t help in the long run. Obviously, blood transfusions would help.

NbyNW on January 18, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I want to know how he passed all those tests.

NbyNW on January 18, 2013 at 11:26 AM

It’s in the USADA report. Here is a summary. (might be a pay wall -sorry)

lexhamfox on January 18, 2013 at 11:56 AM

juanito on January 18, 2013 at 11:18 AM

He never was caught, and that was my stumbling block this whole time.

right2bright on January 18, 2013 at 11:34 AM

If this is true (and I’m not doubting you per se, just this whole thing is a rotting mess of lies, so I don’t know what to believe) then it makes more sense why he wasn’t caught. I had heard the line that he had been tested after every race, and I thought that meant that after the race, they were shuttled off to a holding area for testing without any other interaction until the testing was done.

cptacek on January 18, 2013 at 11:57 AM

It’s in the USADA report. Here is a summary. (might be a pay wall -sorry)

lexhamfox on January 18, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Interesting sentence there:

Riders on Armstrong’s team, the agency said, also kept a constant lookout for testers and relayed information about them to one another. Team officials often seemed to know when a supposedly unannounced drug test would occur.

Seems like there was (is) a spy in the testing agency. There is much more corruption involved here.

rbj on January 18, 2013 at 12:09 PM

NbyNW on January 18, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I’m just relaying what he was willing to cop last night, that they supposedly didn’t do it during the racing. Not agreeing that any of his offering is actually the truth, but I’m pretty sure it’s somewhere between his admission and USADA. I’m of the idea, that any system can be gamed, and ones that are multidimensional testing would “slow” the gaming…

A combination of Biological Passport and Lemond’s suggestion of Watt profiling would really make about impossible to dope. If you did something not detected by one, but your wattage increased 40%, that’s screaming you did something “unnatural”.

SkinnerVic on January 18, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Reuters Top News ‏@Reuters

From Lance Armstrong to Bill Clinton, famous confessions on video http://youtu.be/bCPP7J_tGjE
===========================

canopfor on January 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM

1. If everyone in the sport is doping, then legalize doping for cycling.

Allahpundit on January 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Cheating in cycling is rampant, these cheaters aren’t very ethical, and I for one will enjoy watching Lance apologize for the rest of his life to those he defamed, apologies which will often have many dollars attached to them! :)

Anti-Control on January 18, 2013 at 12:55 PM

What I love about this story is that it reminds us that INTEGRITY is a quaint thing of the past.

John the Libertarian on January 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM

John the Libertarian on January 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I’m not sure about that. If it really were an extinct value then why the outrage over his (and others) deceit? At least it is still the expectation.

lexhamfox on January 18, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I think he confessed to Oprah because she understands what it’s like to be fabulously wealthy…yet still, you know…on the inside…be hurting a little.
And maybe if you share all this with the public, they’ll make you even more famous and rich understand.

Lance’s new/old/forever theme song….

verbaluce on January 18, 2013 at 1:16 PM

hillsoftx on January 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM

+100

CaptFlood on January 18, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Allahpundit on January 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Cornered rat fights the dirtiest. He was in a legal jam. He would have had to have been a far far better man than he had ever been before. He wasn’t. Metaphysically he made a big mistake. He had a chance to lay himself bare, hand back everything, get a tv show, like Sharpton, and a whole bunch of new friends, like Sharpton.

dczombie on January 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM

In one sense, I can see this. When everyone dopes, you have to dope too. When cheating is rampant, the honest one is pushed back

This is what displaced the American worker with illegals. In any market where illegal hiring is allowed, honest brokers do not win bids. As cheaters gain wealth, they own the politicians, who protect the racket.

I am more disappointed with the MSM, who treat Hillary like a Queen, even though a WH security guard witnessed files being spirited away on her behalf. They don’t care who hired Craig Livingston. They don’t care how she made a hundred K with her head in a bucket. They didn’t care what she knew about Benghazi, even though Lance killed no one, and Benghazi killed a bunch.

In the MSM there are forgivable lies(like Sharpton’s), forgettable lies (like the Clintons) and unforgivable lies, like those of their enemies

entagor on January 18, 2013 at 1:23 PM