Video: Manti Te’o told media his girlfriend died of cancer two days after he allegedly knew it was a hoax

posted at 9:03 pm on January 17, 2013 by Allahpundit

It’s interesting to me how some of my friends think this is a giant yawn of a scandal and others are hanging on every twist. If you’re in group one, no need to read further. If you’re in group two, click the image below and watch. Is this the smoking gun? The detail that he found out about the hoax on December 6 comes from Notre Dame itself, so there’s no question he’s covering up the truth here. But is that because he was shellshocked after discovering he’d been duped and not ready to break the news to the public yet? (He didn’t tell Notre Dame until December 26.) Or is it because the whole thing’s a lie he concocted and he was still shoveling BS on December 8? One thing I can’t get over about the clip is how gratuitous the reference to his girlfriend is. He could have said something about cancer without mentioning her, but he did it anyway even though he knew at this point that she hadn’t died at all, let alone died of cancer. He started lying at some point. When? In December, or years ago?

To make this even odder, there’s a sort of hoax within a hoax here. Supposedly, people who know Te’o thought Kekua was real but also thought that he was exaggerating the extent of his relationship with her. From College Spun:

Yet, even before the Michigan State game, Manti Te’o was being questioned by his teammates. Apparently Manti had only “seen” Lennay once — but I assume “seen” was a rather loose term used for “chatted with online” (however, this is extremely complicated to understand since they were reportedly talking since 2009, according to the Te’o family). The debate among teammates wasn’t whether or not Manti actually knew this girl — it was clear that they had been in contact; no, players just didn’t think that it was fair to call Lennay Kekua Manti’s girlfriend, period (it is well-known on campus that he has had relations with other girls during his time at Notre Dame). They recognized what was going on for what it was — a terrible publicity stunt used to fuel Manti Te’o’s Heisman campaign. In fact, many of the players privately commented that they didn’t want the students to wear leis in support of Manti and wouldn’t participate themselves — they cited that the team never responded so publicly to tragic events for other players. But there was also the feeling that Manti didn’t deserve to benefit from publicity from the death of somebody he barely knew.

Similar stuff from ESPN:

While not saying that Manti Te’o participated in or knew about the hoax that his girlfriend did not exist, a former teammate told ESPN’s Bob Holtzman on Wednesday that players knew the woman wasn’t really his girlfriend even though Te’o played that up as his tragic story was being told.

In September, the grandmother of Te’o died, and it was widely reported that his girlfriend died hours later. Media outlets pounced on the story as Notre Dame began its march to the title game. After Deadspin.com broke the hoax story, however, multiple media reports have said players thought that Te’o had only met Lennay Kekua once and that it wasn’t really accurate to call her his girlfriend. But as condolences poured in, Te’o “played along,” according to the teammate, who wished to remain anonymous.

The teammate portrayed the move as part of the All-American’s personality, telling ESPN that Te’o liked attention so much that he would sometimes point himself out to friends when he was on television.

So in theory, Te’o might have believed that Kekua was a real person but wildly exaggerated how close they were in order to squeeze some sympathy from her death. And I do mean wildly: Sports Illustrated published the transcript today of an interview with Te’o they conducted on September 23, just 11 days after Kekua supposedly died. Here’s how emotionally intimate the relationship was, according to the man himself:

SI: You would literally sleep with your phone on with her on it?

TE’O: With her on it.

SI: When you woke up?

TE’O: She’s be on it.

SI: What would the phone say?

TE’O: Like eight hours. Lucky she had AT&T so it was all free or my family would kill me.

Eight-hour phone calls, just so that she could hear him breathe. With a girl he never actually met. More:

SI: She couldn’t communicate?

TE’O: No. She could only breathe. One of the miraculous things was when I talked to her and she would hear my voice her breathing would pick up. Like quickly, and then she would start crying. But her breathing would quicken, and she would start crying. So her brother was in the room with the nurse. They were monitoring her. She said, “Who is she on the phone with?” Her boyfriend. She was like, “That’s amazing. She doesn’t do that with anybody else.” So that happened. And then she flatlined and we were losing her.

The day I went home, that was the day they were going to pull it. They were saying their goodbyes and all that. I said, “Babe, I’m never going to say goodbye to you. If you really want to go, she really missed her dad, so I said, “If you want to go, be with dad, go. Just know that I love you very, very much.” I had this very positive feeling that everything was going to be OK. I landed in Hawaii. By the time I said my goodbyes. Not my goodbyes, my I love you, I’ll see you later, that kind of thing, I jumped on the airplane to go to Hawaii. They were scheduled to pull the plug while I was in the air.

So right when I landed, I was expecting to get a voicemail saying she’s gone. So I landed and I had a voicemail from her brother saying, “Brother, call me back right now.” So you can imagine what’s going through my head. I was like, “What am I going to do? How am I going to take this?’”And so I called him back, the doctor came in and he saw something and he wants to try some treatment on her to see if it works. From there she slowly started to get better. Slowly. Eventually she came out of her coma and she started having memory problems and she couldn’t remember because of the accident. That’s how much damage she had to her frontal lobe. She had memory problems. I was actually the first person that she talked to. She was breathing, breathing. When I talked to her, I would say, “Babe, do you know who this is?” I knew she knew who it was because her breathing would pick up. I was like, “Relax, chill. Breathe slowly. Breathe slowly.” And then, that was when she first started to speak was that conversation. I was like, “Babe, I love you. I love you.” Very slightly she said, “I love you.”

This is where I get lost. If all of that is invented, he’s a preternaturally convincing liar; it’s packed with gratuitous detail which someone who was trying to hide something just wouldn’t offer. And Te’o never explicitly says in the course of the interview that he and she ever met. He talks about having known her for four years, about her having come to a game and “seen” him, but as far as I know, in no interview he’s ever given has he talked about them going on dates, spending time face to face, etc. If he was going to make up this story whole cloth, why withhold that particular detail? Why not say, “We spent endless hours together on the beach,” blah blah, to make it even more romantic? (His parents did tell reporters that they had met. Presumably they were relaying info that Te’o had given them, but again — it’s odd that he never told a reporter that himself.) If there’s a kernel of truth to all this, though, which even his otherwise skeptical teammates seem to believe, then who was the girl he spoke with on the phone? The mastermind, allegedly, is Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, who’s been accused of telling hard-to-believe sob stories before, but either he had a female accomplice or Te’o really is the preternatural liar he’s suspected of being. Reagan Mauia, a fullback on the Arizona Cardinals, claims he met someone pretending to be Kekua in 2011. Was that the accomplice, or is Mauia lying on Te’o’s behalf to try to get him off the hook?

Two exit questions for you to chew on. One: How is it that Te’o only discovered the hoax on December 6 when other people were talking about it on Twitter days earlier? Two: They’d known each other four years; they’d been dating for 11 months; Kekua had supposedly been in a car accident and then gotten leukemia — and Te’o never demanded to visit her? Ever?

Comments

Thank God we averted that Fiscal Cliff®.

Electrongod on January 17, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Wow!..Look at those $$$$ from being a high draft pick burn..:)

Dire Straits on January 17, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Nowadays we pay attention to stuff like this rather than gladiators hacking away at each other to get our minds off of how corrupt our government is, and that things really aren’t all that great.

But at least we no longer have to worry about the Vandals, the Visigoths and the Allemani.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 17, 2013 at 9:07 PM

As Lance Armstrong quietly tip toes out of the room…

Seven Percent Solution on January 17, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Role models are overrated. It’s no wonder boys don’t become men anymore.

nobar on January 17, 2013 at 9:09 PM

His ability to tackle Alabama running back is more believable than his girlfriend story.

lorien1973 on January 17, 2013 at 9:10 PM

As Lance Armstrong quietly tip toes out of the room…

Seven Percent Solution on January 17, 2013 at 9:08 PM

lolz..Good point..Lance caught a wave for sure..:)

Dire Straits on January 17, 2013 at 9:10 PM

A lie which is half a truth is ever the blackest of lies.
— Alfred Lord Tennyson

nazo311 on January 17, 2013 at 9:13 PM

This is what comes of a culture marinating in rampant emotionalism.

sharrukin on January 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Regardless of what the actually truth is here – I think this guy needs some mental help.

He’s either diabolical, delusional or really really naive.

gophergirl on January 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM

LoLz..The NFL folks will have a field day with this evaluation..:)

Dire Straits on January 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Your Friend….

Tim_CA on January 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM

When will it come out that he’s a theater major ad this was all a one man play?

BKeyser on January 17, 2013 at 9:16 PM

gophergirl on January 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I think it was a “marketing” plan that was coupled with the “7 P’s” of planning that went very bad..:)

Dire Straits on January 17, 2013 at 9:16 PM

and to think i use to admire notre dame.

join the round file losers. join obama, scotus,rubio, ryan and my neighbor phil.

renalin on January 17, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Next he’ll tell us by ‘girlfriend’ he meant ‘girl that was just a friend that I barely knew’.

This guy is a liar. Liar!

Heisman winner….pictures with strippers, busted for underage drinking, and fighting in a bar.

Heisman runner-up….Well he is a big liar at best.

Heisman 3rd place….arguably the toughest college QB in the country the past two seasons and actually has integrity. Great all around guy. Too bad the voters didn’t see it that way.

nazo311 on January 17, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Well, I certainly am glad that Te’o found out that his girlfriend was imaginary, before he went off and married her … Oh, wait a minute …

Apparently, Te’o’s cuckoos have come home to roost.

Pork-Chop on January 17, 2013 at 9:17 PM

*sigh*
Sick of people.

bazil9 on January 17, 2013 at 9:21 PM

There was a person who ran a lesbian blog/website said they were a gay 20 something woman but in reality it was a white straight guy in his 40′s. And then have long text conversations with another gay 20 something woman but that too was a guy in his 30′s. All in character to each other.

Look up “Dave on Wheels” of a good example of internet hoax.

tjexcite on January 17, 2013 at 9:21 PM

weird

ted c on January 17, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Didn’t Obama have a composite “girlfriend,” too?

Fallon on January 17, 2013 at 9:24 PM

“Is this the smoking gun?.”

You know you are asking this question of a bunch of anonymous bloggers who really don’t know each other but have formed relationships over the years in their minds about one another without ever meeting…

… don’t’ you?

Seven Percent Solution on January 17, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Are all people from Hawaii congenital liars?

Night Owl on January 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM

This guy is an absolute lunatic. He absolutely knew the entire time that there was no girlfriend.

thphilli on January 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM

“If we can save just one imaginary Girlfriend….

Then we should try” – Obama

Common Sense…

Electrongod on January 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM

These sort of details are very easy to make up if you’ve ever seen a movie in which someone loves someone who is unconscious in the hospital.

gatsbysgirlontheside on January 17, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Didn’t Obama have a composite “girlfriend,” too?

Fallon on January 17, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Code word for PlayBoy Magazine..

Electrongod on January 17, 2013 at 9:28 PM

When will it come out that he’s a theater major and this was all a one man play?

BKeyser on January 17, 2013 at 9:16 PM

A major motion picture offer coming in 3 … 2 … 1…

PatriotGal2257 on January 17, 2013 at 9:28 PM

This is exactly opposite. Liars add all sorts of extra detail no one asked for or needed in order to be more convincing.

Especially liars who are used to lying….

Nessuno on January 17, 2013 at 9:28 PM

So Allah, when can I see you?
I feel so silly ;-) ;-) talking to you like this everyday

burrata on January 17, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Umm… The guy’s a douchebag who made up a dead girlfriend to gain sympathy. Discuss.

Illinidiva on January 17, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I don’t think there’s much doubt that he lied, just my hunch though. I think it was easy for him to weave a tale of tragic love, but maybe he had a mental block when it came to actually saying that, yes, he did physically see her…like, it was easier to make up all this fantastic stuff about comas and 8 hour phone calls, but an actual admission of when he saw her was not something he could do…I agree with everyone who said he is most likely in need of some psychological help. Kind of scary, actually.

ellifint on January 17, 2013 at 9:31 PM

The contact he was getting from this ‘girl’, according to breaking news, came from a twitter account….owned by a guy he knows/is firends with!

I don’t care if he can bench press a car, run the 40 in 2 seconds, 7 is a beast of a LB (which we all know is not true because Alabama OWNED his ar$e all championship game), if he was part of this hoax then he is a despicable person with serious mental issues … and if I was an NFL team there is NO WAY I would want this glory/attention-seekin,g moral-less mental case on my team…

easyt65 on January 17, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Especially liars who are used to lying….

Nessuno on January 17, 2013 at 9:28 PM

~~~~~~

This times a thousand! And it’s usually those extra details that the liar gets hung up on in the end…but pathological liars just can’t help themselves…

ellifint on January 17, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Everyone is missing the point. This is another indictment of the media. It’s all about about the story and facts be damn. No different than the treatment of Obama.

SFH on January 17, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Are all people from Hawaii congenital liars?

Night Owl on January 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Not sure. Now Kenyans on the other hand………..

TxAnn56 on January 17, 2013 at 9:35 PM

SFH on January 17, 2013 at 9:35 PM

This is exactly it.

PatriotGal2257 on January 17, 2013 at 9:36 PM

maybe i’m being cynical,but the light treatment this clown is getting from the media is a reflection of how the university bends south for obama.

imagine if Tebow had committed such sin.

renalin on January 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM

No different than the Lance Armstrong story.

IMO the sad, and only relevant part, of these stories is the fact that sports heros used to be looked up to as role models for the right reasons. Not so much anymore.

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM

He’s either diabolical, delusional or really really naive.

gophergirl on January 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Wonder if he had the phone on speaker so she could hear him snore louder? One thing that is puzzling though, is how do you give a gal a “dutch oven” long distance?

arnold ziffel on January 17, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Are all people from Hawaii congenital liars?

Night Owl on January 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Not sure. Now Kenyans on the other hand………..

TxAnn56 on January 17, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Well..

He is wearing a lei..

Well…
What he didn’t get from his girlfriend…

Electrongod on January 17, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Maybe he was following the example of another man’s fantastical story that captured the minds of many people and still does to this day…

*cough*JOSEPHSMITH*cough*

gatsbysgirlontheside on January 17, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I would say that I’m really glad I’ve never paid any attention to entertainment news, or what passes for it nowadays, but I guess there’s a new category within sports news that I can ignore now, too.

PatriotGal2257 on January 17, 2013 at 9:40 PM

What did you expect? To bring down this Class 3 poopstorm right before the national championship game? He was simply maintaining the status quo. That’s not a great sin.

chapman on January 17, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Just think what fun this would be if he had won the Heisman and Notre Dame had won the National Championship!

Brat on January 17, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Hot Air is the leading conservative blog for breaking news and commentary covering the Republican primary, the 2012 election, politics, media, and culture.

It’s 2013 now and Hotair needs a new tagline – and it desperately needs a new direction. Because this current direction of basically emulating the MSM’s ignorance and publishing only ‘safe’ blurbs carrying water for the shale oil and fracking industries (at least Hotair isn’t carrying Obama’s water – yet), liar foosball players, etcetera petty stories ad nauseam, is just about worn the fark out.

SD Tom on January 17, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Out: Tebowing

In: Te’oing

I think Te’o needed a “beard” and made up the girlfriend.

RedRobin145 on January 17, 2013 at 9:42 PM

SD Tom on January 17, 2013 at 9:41 PM

No one is forcing you to read these stories.

gophergirl on January 17, 2013 at 9:42 PM

He’s either diabolical, delusional or really really naive.

gophergirl on January 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Actually sounds a lot like someone we know back in Washington.

outnumberedinparadise on January 17, 2013 at 9:46 PM

This is a critical development that will alter the course of humankind and is certainly worthy of mainline treatment on a pretend conservative blog.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on January 17, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Are all people from Hawaii congenital liars?

Night Owl on January 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM

No. There’s about 20% of us who haven’t bought into the liberal/socialist leanings of the state. The rest – - – you are probably correct. Unfortunately, this place is totally off the rails when it comes to Dumbo.

outnumberedinparadise on January 17, 2013 at 9:50 PM

If you’re in group one, no need to read further

…I’m in this group…but after two years of an online relationship before knowing it was a hoax…I do wanna know how good the cyber sex was!

KOOLAID2 on January 17, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Imaginary girlfriends are awesome. They’re always hot, and they don’t care if I sleep with other women. And I don’t have to spend real money on them. And…other stuff, too. Imaginary stuff.

joejm65 on January 17, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Dead fake girlfriends tell no tales.

viking01 on January 17, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Sports media propped this guy, and Notre Dame, the entire season. I think it is now funny to see them all scrambling to cover their respective rear ends. They are back pedaling as fast as they can.

Meanwhile, Notre Dame’s response to this is like watching a flying monkey circus as they try to find the right trapeze from which to swing so as not to get monkey poop on their faces. Funny.

Roll Tide!

MustLoveBlogs on January 17, 2013 at 10:03 PM

This is where I get lost.

Nuff said. This is whacked.

CW on January 17, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Perception is everything today.

What really happened is unimportant…what people perceived happened is the key.

And feelings…did people feel good about what they perceived happened?…even more important.

FastTalker on January 17, 2013 at 10:18 PM

SD Tom on January 17, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Even though I am cool with a post on this Tall tale from Teo and think the lies all began to cover up his sex life, Allahpundit has done just 3 mentions of Governor Rick Scott from Florida since Scott got elected over 2 years ago. Here are the mentions…….

1—-In Las Vegas to attend the RGA conference, Florida Gov. Rick Scott called Romney’s comments “inappropriate.”

“It’s wrong, it’s not true,” Scott told POLITICO, adding: “What we’ve got to do is say we want every vote, we want to take care of every citizen in our state.”

2—-State of the Union with Candy Crowley: White House senior adviser David Plouffe; Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC); Gov. Rick Scott (R-FL);

3—-“It shows you something,” said Gov. Rick Scott. “The road to the White House is right through Florida. It pays to be here”.

Thats it. Two quotes from other people where Scott wasn’t even the topic and one mention of an appearence on TV about Governor Rick Scott of Florida from Allahpundit the last 2+ years. Not one single word from Allahpundit himself. Certainly no posts about Rick Scott. Kind of amazing isn’t it?

BTW, Rick Scott was one of the first Governors to opt out of Obamacare. He rejected federal funding for high-speed rail, and required drug screening for welfare applicants. Pretty conservative moves. Pretty big and important state where Scott could use some support considering how much the local media hate him. Basically nothing from Allahpundit.

I don’t know if its a Southern thing. An attention whore thing. Or a “the national media isn’t talking about them so why should I thing”.

Now, can you remember a post about the Governors of Tennessee, Alabama, Oklahoma, Georgia, Mississippi, or North Carolina? Might be cool to see a few more posts on actual conservative Governors from big states, instead of what will likely be 3 posts about Teo from Allah when the truth finally comes out.

KMav on January 17, 2013 at 10:21 PM

What a fiasco. Not even Seinfeld’s George Costanza could work his way into this kind of a clusterphuck.

I’m just waiting to see whether Te’o holds a press conference to announce that he’s moving to a state that allows same-sex marriage so that he can establish residency and then marry his fake partner–an architect named Art Vandelay.

BuckeyeSam on January 17, 2013 at 10:24 PM

a terrible publicity stunt used to fuel Manti Te’o’s Heisman campaign.

ding ding, we have a winner.

PappyD61 on January 17, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Hes gay. He just needs to step out now. His football career is probably over. To bad. He had all the god given talent anyone could ask for. What a waste.

tom0508 on January 17, 2013 at 10:26 PM

If you’re in group one, no need to read further.

Thanks for the heads-up Allah.

lexhamfox on January 17, 2013 at 10:30 PM

any chance the great Teo has his eye on the White House at some point?

PappyD61 on January 17, 2013 at 10:31 PM

tom0508 on January 17, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I joked about his being gay above, but I don’t know.

After watching him get steamrolled by Bama, I’ve concluded that this guy is Brian Bosworth II, except Bosworth’s ability got exposed only after Bo Jackson ran him over on a MNF game years ago.

In the end, he’s a head case or a weasel who’s completely overrated.

BuckeyeSam on January 17, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I should care about this story, why?

Reinforces the ineptness that is the media. All the accolades, all the interviews, all the stories about this…did anybody check it out? Bueller…Bueller….

jjjdad on January 17, 2013 at 10:37 PM

The Punahou High School creative writing department must be world class. Ogabe’s fictional biography and this fool.

sauldalinsky on January 17, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Media goes on emotions and not facts? I’m stunned.

SouthernGent on January 17, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I still think the bigger scandal is in how Te’o tackled (er, not) Alabama’s running backs.

newtopia on January 17, 2013 at 11:08 PM

I like this exchange from Sports Illustrated.

TE’O: She actually just graduated from Stanford. She worked at Clark’s Construction Company, I think. She replaced her dad after her dad passed.

SI: When did her dad pass?

TE’O: In October. She took that mantle for him.

SI: Does the family own a construction business?

TE’O: No. But they’re part of the whole administration, the higher-ups. Their family worked really hard and worked their way up. She’s very smart, very smart and very intellectual.

And the reporter from SI didn’t question this? Because that’s how it works in the real world. When some company executive or management dies, they replace him with the guys 22 year old daughter.
Good grief.

lowandslow on January 17, 2013 at 11:21 PM

thphilli on January 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Ring! ring! ring! You win!! Any NFL team should run from this nut.

Tasha on January 17, 2013 at 11:22 PM

JOHNNY HEISMAN FOOTBALL

txag92 on January 17, 2013 at 11:31 PM

lowandslow on January 17, 2013 at 11:21 PM

HidetheDecline on January 17, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Here is another ridiculous comment from the SI article:

SI: Your girlfriend’s funeral was yesterday?

TE’O: I talked to [her family yesterday]. I cried. I cried at 12 noon yesterday. At 9 a.m. California time.

Why would he give a response like that? He didn’t even answer the question. Obviously he was throwing around details to try to make his story sound real.

HidetheDecline on January 17, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Very next question:

SI: She was buried in California?

TE’O: She was always in California. Her family is from Hawaii but they live in California.

Again, he doesn’t answer the question but instead throws out a completely random and trivial fact.

HidetheDecline on January 17, 2013 at 11:57 PM

There is absolutely no way, in the age of Skype, a 20-something college kid, having a relationship with someone on the other end of the country, would not have video chatted at some point. That alone seals the deal in my book. If they didn’t even have a video chat at any point over the course of at least 2 years of relationship, I say there is no way the relationship really existed in any way, shape or form.

HakerA on January 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Too bad he doesn’t tackle as well as he makes up bullspit stories about his imaginary girlfriend.

Notre Dame jumps the shark for a chance at a another heisman.. Even the AD was fake crying on TV.

Brian Kelly should have run from this circus as fast as he could.

elowe on January 18, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Whatever happened the skillful propagandists at Notre Shame (as the ‘NY POST’ calls it)will turn it to their advantage. `1 The publicity over Te’o’s love for a doomed, cancer-stricken sweetheart generated enough blarney to propel a second-rate linebacker into the Heisman Trophy mix. This fuzzy feelgood story combined with the “legend” of Notre Dame almost did the trick. 2 Once the cat was let out of the bag, Notre Dame A. said that Te’o was an “innocent victim” of a “cruel” hoax. B. by implication this serves as an excuse why Notre Dame collapsed against Alabama–because a “bereaved” “despondent” Te’o could not concentrate.

Ah the Notre Shame Lying Irish.

MaiDee on January 18, 2013 at 12:28 AM

If Teo really expects anyone to believe he was duped, he would release records of those eight-hour phone calls.

But he won’t, because his whole story is a load of crap. There is so much garbage in his account of how this happened that I simply don’t believe a word he says. But here’s the bottom line: even if T’eo’s account of how he got duped is true, then he was trying to exploit the death of an online acquaintance that he never met in person to play up a sob story for the sports media. Wouldn’t exploiting the death of an online acquaintance he actually thought existed, claiming she was his girlfriend though they never met in person or even saw each other on Skype, actually kinda be worse than creating a hoax to exploit for national attention? If it were any other school, I would say “I can’t believe the school is standing behind this BS”… but its Notre Dame.

Lawdawg86 on January 18, 2013 at 12:29 AM

That interview would have been more believable if he would have had a group of kids around him. That’s how you can really tell if someone is sincere. If they have a nice crowd of well dressed kids at their back.

Lily on January 18, 2013 at 12:34 AM

HakerA on January 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM

This.

Lawdawg86 on January 18, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Gee,,Jugears made up women in his books ,,,so what the hell is wrong. The press was fine with that.

retiredeagle on January 18, 2013 at 12:42 AM

WHO CARES!
With everything going on the world,why are people spending so much time on this non story?
I just don’t get it.

Delsa on January 18, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Why didn’t he ever try to visit her family or her grave after she died? He was in LA for the USC game in November. Carson is only a few miles away.

He’s a liar.

Captain Kirock on January 18, 2013 at 1:11 AM

We know more about this kid and this nonexistent female than we do about Obama?
Where the heck were or are the press when it comes to Obama?
Get a grip!

Delsa on January 18, 2013 at 1:12 AM

WHO CARES!
I just don’t get it.

Delsa on January 18, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Because it’s a car wreck, soap opera, and a scandal all wrapped into one. Because most people are college football fans and have seen or heard Teo’s story ad nauseam, felt sorry for him, and now feel duped. And because politics is just downright dreary and depressing right now.

Captain Kirock on January 18, 2013 at 1:38 AM

WHO CARES!
I just don’t get it.
Delsa on January 18, 2013 at 1:09 AM

What do you care what other people read about? Obviously you cared enough to leave a comment.

Anyway, I think he was probably embarrassed to admit the truth publicly right after finding out that he had been duped..

bluegill on January 18, 2013 at 3:32 AM

sharrukin on January 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Bingo. I’m only vaguely familiar with this, and that is thanks to cursory readings of the HA coverage of it, but the whole thing screams “Drama Queen.” In days past, no man would stand in front of people and bawl to get sympathy.

DrMagnolias on January 18, 2013 at 8:02 AM

easyt65 on January 17, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I don’t know what is more interesting…the story or the people who get wrapped up in the story…both are interesting to observe.

The guy is a bit nutty, but if he can break down another team,he will get paid for what he can do on the field…for crying out loud, they have thugs, drug dealers, dog killers, playing on teams, this is just an interesting weird real life soap opera, and people are really excited about it. A soap opera, come to life, no different than what’s between the pages of “who is dating who in Hollywood”. Living vicariously through athletes…interesting.

right2bright on January 18, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I don’t get what the big deal is. I mean, no one cares when the president invents former lovers, so why the brouhaha over some football player? I thought everyone had imaginary girl/boy friends in their past.

My composite old boyfriend was an unrecognized love child of Elvis who died tragically in a plane crash while he was trying to deliver hepatitis medicine to a remote tribe in Peru.

CJ on January 18, 2013 at 8:30 AM

HakerA on January 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM

You are wrong. It happens all the time. I happen to know of two people who fell for something similar.

bluegill on January 18, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I heard teammates say they knew he had a made up girlfriend and took it “too far”. What do they mean too far? It seems to me on explanation is they knew about the made up girlfriend and LATER she became a cancer patient. This would go along with the gay rumors. If he was gay his teammates would ask why he is avoiding women who approach him etc. He says, “I got a girlfriend in Hawaii”. The teammates suspect this is to cover his being gay but leave it alone. Then it morphs into this cancer story and the press takes off and this kid doesn’t know how to stop it and starts playing along.

Conan on January 18, 2013 at 9:17 AM

and to think i use to admire notre dame.

renalin on January 17, 2013 at 9:17 PM

The school has been Catholic in name only for a while now. A friend of mine who passed away last year was a WWII vet (a Seabee in the South Pacific) and a 1949 grad of ND. He hadn’t given them money in years because of the gradual loss of Catholic identity, and he wrote them a letter telling them he wasn’t getting any more of his money.

Ward Cleaver on January 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I joked about his being gay above, but I don’t know.

In the end, he’s a head case or a weasel who’s completely overrated.

BuckeyeSam on January 17, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I would say he’s the biggest flake since Vince Young, but at least Young won a national championship, and waited until he got to the NFL to implode.

Ward Cleaver on January 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Conan on January 18, 2013 at 9:17 AM

What a bunch of foolish, easily manipulated commenters this site attracts.

His teammates never said they believed he “made up” the girlfriend. A few of them simply said (after the fact, mind you) that they believed he had taken the girlfriend situation too far, given that they claim now to have suspected he probably had only spoken with her online and on the phone.

As for the gay suggestion, what a bunch of hooey. You people are lame.

It is so easy and common for someone to fall for a “fake profile” online like Teo apparently did. I’m guessing that most of you are of an older generation and are not as familiar with how common online flirting and dating is. Some people are just very gullible and overly trusting. Even smart people could fall for this.

bluegill on January 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM

bluegill on January 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I don’t know. If I fell in love on line, I might want to actually meet the girl in hopes of boning her. But that’s just me.

AcidReflux on January 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I don’t think the fact that he’s only talking about phone calls makes him look less suspicious. He’s saying he called her at the hospital — what, did they have a bunch of nurses on standby at a nearby hospital ready to patch anyone asking for “Lennay Kukua” through to an outside line, where a person determined to hoax Te’o stood ready to breathe quickly with a bunch of other fake actors (brother, nurse, etc.) in the background? And also, now there’s a fake brother that he was in contact with, in addition to the fake sister?

There isn’t enough benefit of the doubt in the world to justify thinking this guy wasn’t in on it

Raquel Pinkbullet on January 18, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I can’t imagine what he’s going through!

My hot, online girlfriend didn’t die of leukemia, she’s just been too busy traveling around Europe modeling for us to ever meet up…

nextgen_repub on January 18, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Raquel Pinkbullet on January 18, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Agreed. Throw in the fact that the guy who orchestrated the hoax is Teo’s cousin whom Teo regularly spoke with and it’s obvious that Teo was in on the hoax.

Captain Kirock on January 18, 2013 at 11:42 AM

The hilarious part of this story is reading the comments here, on a site where a bunch of self-proclaimed conservatives should know a thing or two about media vultures and waiting for the facts to come out.

Within the last day: Two people appeared on ESPN to say that their cousin had been scammed by the same guy, using the same methods, in 2008.

Teo’s uncle appeared on a radio show saying that the scammer was at this year’s USC game trying to raise money for a leukemia charity that he was starting. He appeared with the same little girl (his sister) that he claimed was ‘Pookah’ in the story covered by TMZ. He introduced the little girl as ‘Pookah’ again. This is Teo’s uncle, to be fair, but if this story can be corroborated then it’s a game changer. You fine folks wondering why the scammer would invest so much time will have your answer.

A woman from the scammer’s church told ESPN that the scammer told her in Dcember that he had done something terrible and that he didn’t know how to get out of it. The woman described the scammer as claiming that he and his cousins went to elaborate lengths to hide the truth from Te’o.

And what has come out in the other direction? An anonymous teammate spoke to a blogger that nobody has ever heard of and said that the team didn’t think Manti and Lennay were really that close. And plenty of folks here are suddenly trusting of the media and its use of anonymity to further hit pieces on people who don’t fit the liberal narrative.

The reality is that Te’o is, as Michael Wilbon called him after interviewing him, “a little kid.” He was being played by people who knew enough about him and his love for “the Heavenly Father” that they could manipulate his emotions. Being naive is not the same as what some of you are accusing this kid of being.

The biggest actual deception to which anyone can point is that his father told a newspaper about an in-person meeting that didn’t happen. Whether that was the son’s embellishment or the father was embellishing on his own, it’s a far cry from making up a story to get sympathy. The guy was just a shy dude who didn’t want to tell everyone that he fell in love with a girl online.

vitocorleone99 on January 18, 2013 at 2:53 PM