That frightening water-on-fire image from Gasland is total baloney

posted at 1:21 pm on January 17, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Whenever I breach the subject of domestic energy production, the natural-gas boom, or just ‘environmentalism’ in general with my friends, peers, and even my more politically-sentient relatives, I’m inevitably confronted with a reply that amounts to, “Yes, but in areas where fracking is going on, chemicals seep out and people can light their water on fire!” Head, meet desk.

Josh Fox, the creator of the “documentary” Gasland, and his environmentalist ilk have done an undeniably effective job peddling the powerful and completely misleading image of faucets-on-fire as anti-hydrofracking propaganda, but an honest response to all of the alarm-mongering in Gasland is finally here.

The same independent filmmakers of Not Evil, Just Wrong are all set to premiere their latest, Frack Nation — and it’s especially relevant now that the shale oil-and-gas boom is sweeping the country, and both the Obama administration and certain individual states are still working out how they’ll handle their policy prescriptions in the near future.

Comments

It’s pants, not water.

Curtiss on January 17, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Who’s the Elvis Costello want to be?

Bmore on January 17, 2013 at 1:28 PM

If progressives didn’t lie, they’d have nothing at all to say.

Rebar on January 17, 2013 at 1:28 PM

But because I don’t know anything about this process the water-on-fire thingy seems possible and terrifying. So we should ban it just in case my unsubstantiated fears might come true.

Flange on January 17, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I’d love a big fat libel lawsuit thrown Matt Damon’s way. How feasible is that?

Archivarix on January 17, 2013 at 1:30 PM

If progressives didn’t lie, they’d have nothing at all to say.

Rebar on January 17, 2013 at 1:28 PM

So all I need is a magic keyboard that makes its wearer tell the truth, and Dumbte will never be able to post here again? Woohoo!

MelonCollie on January 17, 2013 at 1:30 PM

wearer = user. wtf, autocorrect?

MelonCollie on January 17, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Josh Fox is a complete douchebag.

Ask around in northern PA (and parts of the Southern Tier in NY). They’ll tell you lighting the tap on fire is a trick their grandparents did when they were kids.

Red Cloud on January 17, 2013 at 1:31 PM

You still have the stupid, who get their entirety of their science knowledge from Film Studies students making their little documentaries, insist that GM killed the electric car…despite their Lord and Savior now owning GM.

MNHawk on January 17, 2013 at 1:34 PM

wearer = user. wtf, autocorrect?

MelonCollie on January 17, 2013 at 1:31 PM

iPad thingy? I hate that! If I could trust my spelling more I would have turned it off ages ago.

Bmore on January 17, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I live on Marcellus Shale. I can’t drink my well water the stench is so bad from what the locals call “swamp gas” and no one is drilling here. Trust me, you can’t light what comes out of the tap on fire.

vityas on January 17, 2013 at 1:35 PM

As great as the fracking boom has been (its what’s keeping gas from super-spiking), why is there never a serious discussion on the feasibility of nuclear fusion?

nobar on January 17, 2013 at 1:35 PM

So is the Elvis Costello want a be Josh Fox?

Bmore on January 17, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Red Cloud on January 17, 2013 at 1:31 PM

No they didn’t light their water on fire. Water doesn’t burn. They many have lit chemicals that float on water on fire provided these stories are not of the same nature as the I walked up hill to and from school in the wind.

chemman on January 17, 2013 at 1:37 PM

nobar on January 17, 2013 at 1:35 PM

It would blow the oil cartel’s monopoly to shreds.

MelonCollie on January 17, 2013 at 1:37 PM

nobar on January 17, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Fusion for power will happen when we develop sufficient containment fields that can hold for more than a second or two.

chemman on January 17, 2013 at 1:38 PM

reply “Yes, but in areas where fracking is going on, chemicals seep out and people can light their water on fire!”

…reply from lester or HotLips…and not only that… I can light my farts on fire!

KOOLAID2 on January 17, 2013 at 1:44 PM

In a world with justice, these people would go to jail. The are committing fraud, and there is a tangible financial impact to it – both positive for them, and negative for everyone else.

Midas on January 17, 2013 at 1:46 PM

…reply from lester or HotLips…and not only that… I can light my farts on fire!

KOOLAID2 on January 17, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I have a sudden urge to lend them a blowtorch that’s been…discreetly modified.

MelonCollie on January 17, 2013 at 1:46 PM

If progressives didn’t lie, they’d have nothing at all to say.

Rebar on January 17, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I am in ur thread stealin’ ur quotez.

The Rogue Tomato on January 17, 2013 at 1:55 PM

with my friends, peers

Erika, you have no peers. :-)

UltimateBob on January 17, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Guess I’ll never know who the Elvis Costello “want to be” is.

Bmore on January 17, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Whenever I breach the subject

Broach the subject

Ted Torgerson on January 17, 2013 at 2:19 PM

This guys want a be?

Bmore on January 17, 2013 at 2:21 PM

What the heck is access tv and how do you access it?

PattyJ on January 17, 2013 at 2:37 PM

The ‘Slum oil ticks fear for the water of America. If you have the A-Rab League (of Justice) on your side you can never be wrong.

BL@KBIRD on January 17, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Flange on January 17, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Wrong thread. Gun control is on the other- oh, wait. Nevermind.

rogerb on January 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM

But…but…but it was in a MOVIE! It has to be true!

GarandFan on January 17, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I also heard that nuclear power plants can melt down all the way to China. And that every existing source of power besides nuclear will cause the planet to burn up, or something.

Movie stars. Is there anything they don’t know?

logis on January 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Head, meet desk.

Uh huh. Yeah. I feel ya’, Erika.

I have an Aunt, Uncle, and Cousins who live in Texas, who have lived in the same house for over 25 years, and where ‘fracking’ was introduced about a year and a half ago or so and went gang-busters all around the area where they live.

I’ve visited them at least 20x in the last 25 years. Sometimes they come out here to visit. They’re family and we’re all close. Never have I seen anything like I witnessed and actively participated in on a visit just this last holiday season a couple of months ago.

On our visit to them, I lit their tap water on fire at the faucet in their kitchen. Then in their bathroom. Then in their garage. And then at their outdoor spigots. Crazy stuff.

No foolin’. It ignited immediately. Each and very time at each and every spigot.

Then we put tap water in a bowl and just held the lighter flame to just above the water. Flammable vapor nestled on top of the water ignited and burned. Then after the flames burned out we waited for about 10 minutes and did it again with the same bowl and the same water. The water in the bowl was still emitting flammable vapor after it sat awhile.

“Total baloney”?

Not even a speck of ‘baloney’. As witnessed with my own eyes — and ears. The quick blast of gas before the water even starts to exit the spigot is actually pretty loud.

The previously non-existent for 25 years and then suddenly present and apparent damaged hair as well as the rampant skin rashes and skin eczema on their entire family also belies foreign substances in their tap water too that previously had been non-existent.

Never was any of this ever seen or heard before fracking arrived in their area. Ever.

Hotair certainly knows how to earn their payola. And Erika certainly is on-board with it too.

But then, that doesn’t surprise me these days on Hotair. Salem Communications has their own agenda(s) just like everyone else.

SD Tom on January 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Why is Rachel Maddow the main picture on this thread?

portlandon on January 17, 2013 at 3:23 PM

SD Tom on January 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Whereabouts in Texas, approximately, if you don’t mind me asking? It’s a big place, and fracking is going like gangbusters all over the state with few major problems. Do you know what play they live in?

juliesa on January 17, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I know these yahoos. I live in Penna and when these guys want to scare people they hold their meeting. If someone from the oil/gas industry shows up they fold up their presentation. To misquote Jack Nicholson “They can’t handle the truth!”

Piffmonster on January 17, 2013 at 3:41 PM

SD Tom on January 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Not baloney – pure bullsh*t on your part.

fabrexe on January 17, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Should any one care not be be a dumb ass liberal usefull fool conned by the commie Democrat Party leadership.

Facts do count.

Of some special note the gone missing e-mails of Lisa Jackons fake “Windsor” account.

Life on a foundation of lies has no hope of a long life.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 17, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Flange on January 17, 2013 at 1:29 PM

The far more dangerous stuff that needs to be banned is dihydrogen monoxide. That stuff is killing people all over the place – just breathing it in will kill you! It causes lots of damage too.
This is serious!!!
BAN Dihydrogen Monoxide!!!!

dentarthurdent on January 17, 2013 at 4:11 PM

SD Tom on January 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM

So if this water emits flammable gas after sitting for a while, how come their how doesn’t blow up when they turn the light on in the bathroom? Isn’t the toilet bowl full of gas?

Lily on January 17, 2013 at 4:40 PM

SD Tom

I bet you’ve seen the chupacabra too.

xblade on January 17, 2013 at 5:15 PM

SD Tom on January 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I’m throwing the BS flag here.
If your family’s water contains a flammable chemical so would everyone’s in the area and there would be no shortage of documentation of the phenomenon.
If there is something flammable in the water it can’t be from fracking since the water table and the zone where the fracking is being done are separated by hundreds of feet of solid rock.

single stack on January 17, 2013 at 5:17 PM

“Who’s the Elvis Costello wannabe?”

Aren’t we all?

connertown on January 17, 2013 at 5:58 PM

SD Tom on January 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM

It would be great if they could get a basic video of this up on youtube and you could give us a link-even a cell phone video would be wonderful.

Also, is it possible that no one tried to light the water on fire before they were fracking-only after? I know I’ve never tried to light my tap water on fire. Maybe it could be lit before , but no one knew.

talkingpoints on January 17, 2013 at 6:03 PM

chemman on January 17, 2013 at 1:37 PM

No no no. I’m an old grandpa and I tell the kids that I grew up in Los Angeles and walked up hill both ways to and from school in the snow.

NOMOBO on January 17, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Scientific Study Links Flammable Drinking Water to Fracking!

The peer-reviewed study, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences,found that levels of flammable methane gas in drinking water wells increased to dangerous levels when those water supplies were close to natural gas wells. They also found that the type of gas detected at high levels in the water was the same type of gas that energy companies were extracting.

Methane Contamination of Drinking Water Accompanying Gas-Well Drilling and Hydraulic Fracturing

Fracking infuses toxic chemicals and gas into drinking-water supplies.

JustTheFacts on January 17, 2013 at 7:18 PM

JustTheFacts on January 17, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Biased source, much?

massrighty on January 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM

massrighty on January 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM

The scientific Journal that published the peer reviewed study was the NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES!

And the other peer reviewed Scientific Journal to publish the study and its results was the SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN!

Just because ProPublica recently won the Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting does “NOT” mean they wrote the scientific studies it only means they reported and linked to the peer reviewed scientific journals that published the studies and their results.

There are twelve other peer reviewed scientific studies with the same or similar findings if you don’t like the National Academy of Sciences! and the
SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN! Just ask and I’ll link to them.

JustTheFacts on January 17, 2013 at 10:42 PM

massrighty on January 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM

you might as well bang your head in a wall. that one lies and lies and lies. it is a propaganda not. totally worthless.

tom daschle concerned on January 18, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Josh Fox is a complete douchebag.

Red Cloud on January 17, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Yes, but now that there is fracking, it MUST be the cause.
The Earth warmed and cooled long before man discovered fire, but now that we burn fossil fuels, we MUST be the cause.

tdarrington on January 18, 2013 at 6:55 AM

tom daschle concerned on January 18, 2013 at 12:22 AM

My links to peer reviewed scientific studies are lies?

Just like how you said links to Republican senate reports are lies as well right?

JustTheFacts on January 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM

JustTheFacts on January 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Robert B. Jackson

Nicholas Professor of Global Environmental Change, Associate Dean for Research and Professor of Biology
Division of Earth & Ocean Sciences

Jackson’s experience lies in how people affect the Earth
Robert B. Jackson

Primary area of expertise: terrestrial ecosystems

Secondary areas of expertise: energy, biodiversity, biogeochemistry, water quality, global climate change, land use and sprawl, soil science, air quality, hydrofracking

———-

Sounds like an unbiased “scientist” to me.

Mimzey on July 14, 2013 at 11:55 AM