Rubio: Obama “doesn’t have the guts” to just say he’s not a 2nd-Amendment guy

posted at 12:11 pm on January 17, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Whether or not President Obama’s big display of “doing something” will have any real teeth to it – his proposals of reinstating an “assault weapons” ban and imposing a 10-capacity limit on magazines are nothing more than recycled ideas that have hardly a snowball’s chance in hell of making it through Congress, not to mention the boundless evidence of their impotence at actually curbing violence — but what was on full display on Wednesday was President Obama’s prevailing attitude about the second amendment and gun-rights advocates.

President Obama conspicuously avoided the term “gun control” during his speech on Wednesday, but certainly threw “common sense” around a lot and didn’t neglect to heavily disparage the gun lobby. All of this denigrating of the NRA’s motives, as if it isn’t a huge and voluntary organization through which millions of Americans have taken gun safety and concealed weapons classes (which has an effective and direct impact in preventing and deterring would-be crime, by the way) and as if they somehow don’t give a fig about children’s safety and just stubbornly want to keep Americans well-armed for the oh-so-uncivilized sake of it, is telling. What’s more, as much as President Obama says he wholeheartedly approves of our “rich hunting and sport shooting traditions,” that fundamentally misses what the Second Amendment is really about.

The tells weren’t lost on Sen. Rubio, who pointed out on O’Reilly last night that he thinks President Obama just doesn’t have the guts to come out with his true beliefs about gun control. Real talk:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Rush playing Rubio’s “guts” remarks right now. And he agrees with Rubio. That Rush is such a rino!

VegasRick on January 17, 2013 at 2:29 PM

first romney. and now their trying to push rubio down our throats.

Winning? with an open borders, big government romney apparatchik?

no thanks.

renalin on January 17, 2013 at 2:30 PM

No. This is me refusing to play your rhetorical games which you have become infamous for the pages of Hot Air.

kingsjester on January 17, 2013 at 2:27 PM

You just underscored my point fantastically. What rhetorical game am I playing? If you’ll remember, you are the one who responded to me to begin with by claiming I made up terms (terms which you later said you had heard before). You’ve shown nothing but dishonesty and an inability to discuss a subject that may challenge your view in the slightest, even if that view is at its core in agreement with yours (or at least ones you profess to hold).

Dante on January 17, 2013 at 2:34 PM

whine whine bitch blubber snivel

Dante on January 17, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Summarized.

Spin us another tale, you racist coward.

MelonCollie on January 17, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Rant rave babble words I don’t understand, whine b!tch blubber snivel

Dante on January 17, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Your every post, summarized.

MelonCollie on January 17, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Dante on January 17, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Yes, my young friend. Government continues to grow, especially under Barack Hussein Obama. Conservatives, such as myself, wish to cut governemtn spending, balance the budget, andf restore America’s rightfuully place in the world.

On the subject of your beliefs, you have postedf them numerous times. We are all aware of them, and we have had our fill, to the point of regurgitation. You are everything that I previously stated, and more.

You have already posted a novel today, counting the other threads, and, counting the past week, your postings rival the Encyclopedia Britinnica in volume, but hardly in knowledge.

But, do carry on. Humility seems to be a virtue you are woefully unfamiliar with.

kingsjester on January 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Amidst all the Rubio bashing here, I’d like to point out that in the current crop of GOP Reps and Senators we have, we have few that are as articulate and knowledgeable as Mr Rubio.

Its an old saw, but no one is perfect… I’m really sick of hearing people say “Jones is great, but his stand on abortion disqualifies him” or “Smith is fantastic, but he’s a RINO on immigration”…

To be blunt, your perfect candidate is YOU. And you aren’t running.

Here’s a video I really like… the young Mr Rubio spanks and humiliates the august Senator from Massachusetts on the debt.

Rubio schools Kerry on debt issue

PointnClick on January 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Establishment Man.

Bmore on January 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Liar in Chief
From day one we knew certain things about Obama. He puts on pretenses, airs, he pretends… to have moderate views on keys issues, to be a moderate. But we know he is a radical. He was rated the most liberal senator in a senate of already extremely liberal senators that voted 60 to 0 (among Dems) to pass radical Obamacare. We knew that, despite what he said, that Obamacare would be a massive entitlements largely benefiting illegal aliens, that would stifle medical innovation, wreak havoc with the quality our own medical care as it at the same time raises our costs. We knew this despite the bull that O said. We knew he favored gay marriage despite what he said. We knew he favored full amnesty despite anything he said. Despite what he said, we knew he, given an opportunity, would go full bore against guns, trying to wrench the guns from the clinging hands of Americans everywhere. And him saying that he wants only to raise taxes to the levels under Bill Clinton, given the opportunity he would raise federal taxes to insane levels of 70% or the like, and would also institute wealth taxes, and socialism (govt takeover of many businesses). Yes, despite O saying that he is not a socialist, he is. Ask his best friends like Bill Ayers. Liar in Chief. And a muslim. We know that. Look at the church he went to for 20 years led by the radical crazy anti-American J Wright who was a muslim follower of Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan. Wright, and his church, and O, are Christian in name only. CINOs.

anotherJoe on January 17, 2013 at 2:54 PM

To be blunt, your perfect candidate is YOU. And you aren’t running.

PointnClick on January 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Absurd.

I’d make a horrible politician…I always say EXACTLY what I mean…and tend to piss-off alot of people while doing it.

My perfect candidate is a true fiscal conservative who’s articulate, gives it right back to the Dem’s by calling them on their lies, Isn’t afraid to proudly say “we’ll fix the borders FIRST and start enforcing EXISTING laws already on the books BEFORE discussing ANY amnesty nonsense”….oh…and doesn’t claim to be “conservative” just to get my bote

a la

Dole
McCain
Romey
Rubio.
Bohener.

Tim_CA on January 17, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Was the Hammer dropped on Dante?

kingsjester on January 17, 2013 at 3:25 PM

After Rubio’s weaksauce display I’m not impressed. Padding such kind of rhetoric with 5 paragraphs of “I respect his right to surround himself with kids, bla bla bla bla bla” puke. Rubio, you’re a hack.

SuperBunny on January 17, 2013 at 3:32 PM

NRA President: “I do not think that there is going to be a ban on so-called assault weapons passed by the Congress”

We like that he references “so-called assault weapons” since most of the media has no idea what classifies anything as an “assault weapon” to begin with. It’s just a made up term by the anti-gun crowd dating back to the early 1990s. He’s also signaling the GOP that they better not turn weak in the knees during the relentless assault on the Second Amendment.

Lauer and these other media schmucks are standing on the graves of the dead in order to promote their agenda and it’s only going to get worse. Obama and his minions will be exploiting Sandy Hook victims as long as they can (can’t wait for the SOTU, huh?) in order to shred your Second Amendment rights.

Southern by choice22 on January 17, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Was the Hammer dropped on Dante?

kingsjester on January 17, 2013 at 3:25 PM

surely you “jest” (lol..how often do you get to use that in context).

He’s been way more obnoxious than this…lol…and always managaes to survive.

I kind of like him…he’s no idiot…he’s just bought into his own rhetoric…. and now twists current and past events into laughable knots to try to shore up his pretzel logic (with absolutely no sense of irony, btw).

But he does understand establishment GOPers.

I find him fascinating.

Tim_CA on January 17, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Tim_CA on January 17, 2013 at 3:34 PM

For curiosity’s sake, what current or past events have I twisted, let alone twisted into “laughable knots”?

Dante on January 17, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Dante on January 17, 2013 at 3:43 PM

lol…nothing that you’ll ever agree with me on….and I’m not in the mood to get carpal tunnel for your amusement!

Carry on though…lol…obviously others do.

Tim_CA on January 17, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Absurd.

Tim_CA on January 17, 2013 at 3:22 PM

ROFL… my point exactly. That’s precisely why I can’t run for office. I’d probably go down in history as the first President to say “What the f#@& is wrong with you people?” in a SOTU address.

We’d make a great team… We can dream big, can’t we…?

PointnClick/Tim CA 2016
Brutally honest, staunchly conservative, and therefore completely unelectable.

PointnClick on January 17, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Carry on though…lol…obviously others do.

Tim_CA on January 17, 2013 at 3:52 PM

well obviously i’m not going to agree, but I was just asking for you to at least provide an example.

Dante on January 17, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Tim_CA on January 17, 2013 at 3:22 PM

In regards to the borders, what needs fixing? Personally, I think we should have open borders for the free flow exchange of goods and labor. Having open borders does not mean that it should be accompanied by an attendant welfare state. Let business hire whom they wish (after all, shouldn’t that be their right?) Everyone would benefit: the worker, the business, and the consumer.

Dante on January 17, 2013 at 4:02 PM

this…

Dante on January 17, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Answers this.

Dante on January 17, 2013 at 3:58 PM

lol…Example #1…that’s sorta my point.

We’ll agree on the current state of GOP leadership…but not much els.

lol…I’m really not trying to razz you…I knew alot of people like you in college (I went to a state u here in socal)…I enjoyed their crazyness…and they always had the best smoke.

We didn’t agree on much politically, however.

Tim_CA on January 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Tim_CA on January 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM

How is my view on supporting the free market and the free flow exchange of goods and labor an example of twisting past or current events?

Dante on January 17, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Listening to Rubio on Hannity’s radio program on immigration and reform. Said Legal Immigration needs reformed first along with the border security. His plan is very strict, best I’ve heard. Was quite amazed really. Rubio has certain ideas but there is no bill yet. Wish Hannity would have him on his TV show.

bluefox on January 17, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Dante on January 17, 2013 at 4:14 PM

lol…see:

Tim_CA on January 17, 2013 at 3:52 PM

we may need a “loop counter”, amigo…

do you know html? (I could do it in FORTRAN but those days are long gone)

Tim_CA on January 17, 2013 at 4:20 PM

The founding of the United States included the enslavement of human beings, the lack of votes for women, and (for that matter) the idea that one had to have a stake in the nation to be able to cast a vote.
Happy Nomad on January 17, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Believe it or not, going back to our “roots” as founded, as an actual constitutional republic where states still have rights, would be amazing. Any conservative should believe that. There is no one who wishes for a return to actual federalism that wishes for the return of slavery, or even for women to lack the right to vote. Those are just straw men and pitiful ones at that.

However, I will give you credit for one thing. Limiting the right to vote to only tax payers and vets would be an incredible thing. I’m not sure how it could be implemented in practice however. One argument that I assume people like you would immediately make would be something along the lines of: “All you want is for the rich people to be able to vote the poor back into slavery!”..

meh.

preallocated on January 17, 2013 at 4:34 PM

bluefox on January 17, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Would that be this Rubio?

Rubio said he understood why frustration with illegal immigration led Arizona to pass a law allowing police to demand proof of citizenship. He also disagreed with the Obama administration’s contention that the law is unconstitutional. But he added, “I do not believe [laws like the one in Arizona] should be a model for the country.’’

As a Senate candidate in 2010, Rubio vacillated on the Arizona law. He initially expressed some concerns but later said he would have voted for it.

Rubio’s reservations come at a time when polls show the Republican Party facing a yawning deficit of support among Hispanic voters. Both parties have launched national campaigns to reach out to the Hispanic community,

National Journal 4/19/12

Marco doesn’t know what he thinks…until the polls and his own self-interest tell him what to think.

Don’t

Trust

Him

Tim_CA on January 17, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Don’t

Trust

Him

Tim_CA on January 17, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I don’t either. But he’s the next Hyper-Electable Super-Inevitable.

Just.

As.

Predicted.

ddrintn on January 17, 2013 at 4:42 PM

meh.

preallocated on January 17, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I have said for years that the political pendulum has swung WAY too far… One of the slogans of the revolutionary war was “No taxation without representation.”

Well, if we are to have a democratic socialist state, then it is high time to say, “No representation without taxation.”

“Skin in the game”, “fair share”, “gas, grass, or ass”, something like that… easy concept to understand, right?

These are the thoughts that kept me out of the finer schools…

PointnClick on January 17, 2013 at 4:47 PM

It is people like you who will keep us from every winning the Presidency back.

Let me reiterate. It is people like you who will get us RINO after RINO as candidates.

Let me reiterate. You are screwing everything up because of your intolerance.

John the Libertarian on January 17, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Talk about twisted logic. By the way, we’ve rarely gotten “RINOs” at all. We’ve gotten good Republicans just about every time. But “Republican” doesn’t mean “conservative”. We get — as you say — RINO after RINO as candidates because the sheeple are told THEY are the ones who can win.

ddrintn on January 17, 2013 at 4:47 PM

The rest of you are either right wing nut jobs or Obots who want to destroy our party

Redford on January 17, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I’d love to see the Republican Party (which is only one wing of the Establishment Big Government War Party) destoyed. Does that make me an “Obot”?

Dante on January 17, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Second time I’ve agreed with Dante. “Our blessed party…” Puke.

ddrintn on January 17, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Second time I’ve agreed with Dante. “Our blessed party…” Puke.

ddrintn on January 17, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Another stopped clock moment for the racist anarchist. Blech. I have similar feelings when mo-lester says something vaguely intelligent.

MelonCollie on January 17, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Hey Bill’O..

If a gun ban does not work..

Then neither does a drug ban.

fatlibertarianinokc on January 17, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I find it unbelievable and profoundly depressing that four years into this most pernicious presidency one of our so-called “best and brightest” politicians can’t do better than assert Obama “isn’t a 2nd Amendment kind of guy”.

Or that he can’t see through the facades of the Left to understand that Obama’s dissimulations have nothing to do with “guts” or lack of them but with massive bad intentions aimed at the heart of America.

rrpjr on January 17, 2013 at 5:19 PM

bluefox on January 17, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Good deal..Looks like Rubio maybe exploring a run..:)

Dire Straits on January 17, 2013 at 5:24 PM

bluefox on January 17, 2013 at 4:17 PM Tim_CA on January 17, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Regarding the Gov of AZ and how the Feds weren’t doing their job, I was on her side. Don’t recall Rubio’s position at the time. If Rubio was not influenced by Jeb Bush (his mentor) so much and left to make decisions on his own, I think he’d be fine. Also, listening to the R Establishment doesn’t help him either. But it is what it is and I give him some slack because of that.

Some time back, Rubio made some remark and Jeb Bush sort of criticized him as I recall. I think the R’s plan is for Jeb to run.

I hope in 2016, the people will get to decide who they want and not the R Establishment and RNC etal.

Time will tell with Rubio, but what he said on Hannity was very smart.

bluefox on January 17, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Is Rubio sick or something?

His hair seems to be thinning..

Maybe it’s just me.

fatlibertarianinokc on January 17, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Lew!!!

Bmore on January 17, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Lew!!!!

Bmore on January 17, 2013 at 2:26 PM

lol, what was your first clue?

Del Dolemonte on January 17, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Good deal..Looks like Rubio maybe exploring a run..:)

Dire Straits on January 17, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I know. If he does, I think it will be as VP with Jeb Bush:-)
Personally, I rather not see Jeb Bush anywhere on the ticket or in D.C. But I’ve always thot that’s why McCain/Romney didn’t make it.
Those politics were already settled in the smokey back rooms, LOL

bluefox on January 17, 2013 at 5:45 PM

PointnClick

So amnesty and open borders is good for the country because he’s articulate?

Its an old saw, but no one is perfect…

PointnClick

Arguing that people only want someone who is perfect is an old saw too. I don’t expect perfection, but some things are not and should not be negotiable. I typically draw the line at things that are destroying the country.

xblade on January 17, 2013 at 5:49 PM

bluefox on January 17, 2013 at 4:17 PM

You know Hannity supports amnesty too right? Has Rubio ever been interviewed yet by someone who doesn’t support amnesty, and might ask him some questions about the fact that his plan is basically the same as Obama’s?

Jon0815 on January 17, 2013 at 6:04 PM

bluefox on January 17, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I agree with you and said as much on this thread earlier. Rubio’s plan, as he has been detailing on O’Reilly last night and Hannity today, is much tougher and stringent than I originally thought and so I am willing to hear more from him as well as closely watch how he handles the upcoming national immigration debate. I still have issues with birthright citizenship that he hasn’t addressed and would want to hear his thoughts on that before I even contemplate supporting him on the immigration issue.

KickandSwimMom on January 17, 2013 at 6:40 PM

bluefox on January 17, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Jon0815 on January 17, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Amnesty means various plans to different people, I’ve found. Had you listened to Rubio on Hannity today, you would know his purposals were nothing like Obamas. If you can catch a replay, it would be worth it.

bluefox on January 17, 2013 at 7:08 PM

KickandSwimMom on January 17, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I didn’t have time to read all of this thread or some of the others. Trying to keep up with it all:-) Well, that and wade thru the trolls, LOL

I don’t care for O’Reilly, so missed that. Glad you saw it and heard Rubio today. I thot his ideas were detailed and well thot out too.

That birthright citizenship definition doesn’t seem to be agreed upon by all. I’m sure he will address it if he has any plans on running for VP or Prez tho.

bluefox on January 17, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Is Rubio balding now?

disa on January 17, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Is Rubio balding now?

disa on January 17, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Biden’s helping him out with this….he’s setting up a summit between Rubio and his hair-plug guy.

Tim_CA on January 17, 2013 at 8:15 PM

So amnesty and open borders is good for the country because he’s articulate?

xblade on January 17, 2013 at 5:49 PM

No, but open borders is good for the country because it’s pro-free market, supplying business with a larger labor pool, lower wages, lower costs, lower prices. It’s good for labor, business, and the consumer. Having open borders for this purpose does not mean that a welfare state must go hand in hand with it.

Dante on January 17, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Dante on January 17, 2013 at 8:59 PM

If we can ever get rid of the Democrat welfare state, I’ll gladly listen to your open-borders idea. That would be such a major victory by itself.

But until that day comes I have to say “no”. Open borders right now would do nothing but bankrupt us overnight on welfare.

MelonCollie on January 17, 2013 at 9:16 PM