Quotes of the day

posted at 10:31 pm on January 17, 2013 by Allahpundit

As a society, our first task must be to care for our children — to shield them from harm and give them the tools they need not only to pursue their dreams, but to help build this country. That is how we will be judged. And in the wake of the tragedy in Newtown, it’s clear we have a long way to go.

That’s why, last month, I asked Vice President Biden to lead an effort to come up with concrete steps we can take right now to keep our kids safe, help prevent mass shootings, and reduce the broader epidemic of gun violence in this country. And on Wednesday, I put forward a specific set of proposals based on Joe’s recommendations. Because while there is no law or set of laws that can prevent every senseless act of violence completely, if there is even one thing we can do to reduce this violence — if even one life can be saved — we have an obligation to try.

***

President Barack Obama set a new standard Wednesday for stupidly exploitative White House events by appearing onstage with children to unveil his gun control proposals.

He quoted from letters that the kids had written him. He invoked their Solomonic authority: “Their voices should compel us to change.” He signed executive orders as they gazed on adoringly. He hugged and high-fived them.

No doubt every parent thinks their little Johnny or Sally is the next James Q. Wilson. That doesn’t make it so. Some of the wisdom that the president shared from his adorable pen pals was, “I love my country and [I] want everybody to be happy and safe,” and “We should learn from what happened at Sandy Hook … I feel really bad.”

News flash: Kids don’t want bad things to happen. This would be a genuinely useful insight … if we could write public policy in crayon. The White House event smacked of the old unilateral disarmament campaigns of the 1980s when we were supposed to get rid of our nuclear weapons because they scared youngsters.

***

The use of children to front a potentially big overhaul of Americans’ constitutional rights is really about silencing dissent, exploiting the wide-eyed innocence of worried children to try to shame those adults who still dare to say: “But what about my constitutional rights?” Indeed, it is normally only the most censorious, authoritarian regimes or groups that use children to front or follow through political campaigns. Who can forget the Child Spies in George Orwell’s 1984, those “ungovernable little savages” whose simplistic moralism made them the perfect monitors of adult behaviour? Today, all sorts of fundamentally anti-democratic, anti-masses campaigns – from Green efforts to guilt-trip us over our carbon use to Mary Whitehouse-style demands to censor wicked art – exploit or evoke children to get their message across. And that message is: “It doesn’t matter what you adults believe or want or desire – the feelings of children are way more important.”

Children are perfect fodder for moralistic political campaigns because they are naturally and naively moralistic, seeing the world in brutally black-and-white terms. That the current campaign to overhaul the Second Amendment now uses children as some of its chief spokespeople is very revealing – it reveals just how cynical and unthinking this campaign is, and that it is driven more by childish fear and simplistic morality than by that old adult pursuit, politics.

***

Obama’s implication is clear: disagree with him, and you are fine with what happened in Sandy Hook.

That’s a vile, despicable Maury Povich tactic. It’s daytime talk show material, not honest political discussion about how to solve the problem of murder by guns in the United States. Not one of the solutions Obama proposes would have stopped what happened in Sandy Hook. Adam Lanza would have passed a background check. Lanza was armed with two handguns, not just an AR-15. Limiting the number of rounds per magazine accomplishes nothing, since it takes less than three seconds for a relative amateur to change magazines.

But here’s the dirty little secret: this isn’t about preventing another Sandy Hook for the left. It is about political posturing. If the left really wanted to be true to its own philosophy, it would simply attempt to repeal the Second Amendment and go for a total British-style gun ban. The vast majority of murders committed with guns in the United States are committed with handguns. Yet the left insists that it wants to leave private handgun ownership in place, while targeting so-called “assault rifles.” That’s not an attempt at a solution, even from the left. It’s just preening for the cameras while pointing to the bodies of shooting victims.

***

***

Via Mediaite.

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

KCB on January 18, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Wait! Is that hello…or goodnight? If it’s ‘good evening’… please disregard ‘goodnight’… lol!

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2013 at 1:32 AM

jrsrigmvr on January 18, 2013 at 1:31 AM

That’s a great tune. She really shines with that one. :)

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Great Song

Cool 80′s video

Sledgehammer – peter gabriel

(Warning…severe impairment strongly advised)

Tim_CA on January 18, 2013 at 1:35 AM

For the ladies…

Scrumpy on January 18, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Insider – Nicks/Petty

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Tim_CA on January 18, 2013 at 1:35 AM

hadn’t heard that one in YEARS!!!!

Crazy video… lol

Scrumpy on January 18, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Tim_CA on January 18, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Excellent. :)

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2013 at 1:40 AM

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Not heard that one before!! Wonderful!!

Scrumpy on January 18, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Scrumpy on January 18, 2013 at 1:41 AM

That’s a long time favorite. I used to listen to it when I was in drive time. :)

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2013 at 1:42 AM

I hear and see why Jackie… where would we be without Youtube?!

Scrumpy on January 18, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Echo And The Bunnymen - Proxy

………….Bunnymen
…………2……………….
White Rabbit……..

Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit

Resist We Much on January 18, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Dream A Little Dream- Max Raabe

As you watch the silver airship make its way around the room, I’ll leave you with this tonight.

I bid you all a fond goodnight. It’s been a real pleasure, as always. Sleep well. I’ll see you soon.

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2013 at 1:45 AM

That Fat Man is reprehensible as is ugh, the louse in the house…

Scrumpy on January 18, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Hey

SparkPlug on January 18, 2013 at 1:46 AM

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2013 at 1:45 AM

God bless and goodnight jackie!!

Sleep well…

Scrumpy on January 18, 2013 at 1:46 AM

SparkPlug on January 18, 2013 at 1:46 AM
s’up Mr Sparky!!

Scrumpy on January 18, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Sorry I’m late. But what’s cool is that I’m snuggling right next to my Scrumpy and Jackie. I don’t get any better than that.

SparkPlug on January 18, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Scrumpy on January 18, 2013 at 1:47 AM

I’ve been missing all the fun lately. I miss making all kinds of mischief and playing tricks on people.

SparkPlug on January 18, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Resist We Much on January 18, 2013 at 1:44 AM

superb.

(got a contact buzz from that song)

Tim_CA on January 18, 2013 at 1:50 AM

SparkPlug on January 18, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Missed you too lately…

No midnight ballon rides… no skinny dippin’ lol…

What have you been up to?

Scrumpy on January 18, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Is Axe still stuck in super double poof land? Has anyone saved him?

SparkPlug on January 18, 2013 at 1:51 AM

(got a contact buzz from that song)

Tim_CA on January 18, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Sure it wasn’t a flashback? lolz

Resist We Much on January 18, 2013 at 1:51 AM

SparkPlug on January 18, 2013 at 1:51 AM

I had seen him around today here and there… not sureif Axw was here tho, got here late myself…

Scrumpy on January 18, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Just when you think that this administration can’t sink any lower, they do.

tommy71 on January 18, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Scrumpy on January 18, 2013 at 1:51 AM

I have these diabolical plans that are keeping me from blogging on HotAir.

But my master plan is unfolding perfectly. Muuaaahhhh. Soon I will control the flow of information and the weather patterns around the Globe. Muuuaaahhh.

SparkPlug on January 18, 2013 at 1:55 AM

tommy71 on January 18, 2013 at 1:54 AM

I don’t think we have yet seen how truly low they will go to get a vote… this is pretty dispicable…

My skin crawls now every time he is on tv or radio I can’t change channels fast enough…

he is a nasty piece of work…

I got no respect at all for him or his office…

Scrumpy on January 18, 2013 at 1:57 AM

SparkPlug on January 18, 2013 at 1:55 AM

You keep working on that!!

Your machinations are sublime!!

There is no invention of yours that isn’t sensational!!

Scrumpy on January 18, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Totally off the wall music!! But I love it!!

Scrumpy on January 18, 2013 at 2:01 AM

I imagine canopfor will be along in a moment with an outstanding linky!!!

Scrumpy on January 18, 2013 at 2:03 AM

The early morning shift will be on soon too I expect…

God Bless and Good Night!!

Scrumpy on January 18, 2013 at 2:05 AM

@Scrumpy As much he disgusts me, its the fawning masses and followers that I despise. They almost treat him as a messiah. Thats reflects in him, and I hate it when he goes into preacha mode during his ‘epic’ speeches. The more they idolize him, the more delusional he becomes.

tommy71 on January 18, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Totally off the wall music!! But I love it!!

Scrumpy on January 18, 2013 at 2:01 AM

lol…why do I have the sudden urge to sacrafice a goat!?

(with a strat)

Tim_CA on January 18, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Nite miss jackie. One more for the road If it weren’t for momma i’d be chasin stevie, jackie, scrump, rwm but alas i got captured.

Adios: vaya con dios.

and no I haven’t had too much whiskey yet tonite.

Fred

jrsrigmvr on January 18, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Scrumpy on January 18, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Well I have to give you credit for inspiring me to invent the Scrumpinator. It was your brain child.

Now kids can finally eat their dessert before their vegetables and the parents won’t know.

I did it for the children. Thanks Scrumpy.

SparkPlug on January 18, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Man… I missed the whole party tonight…

SWalker on January 18, 2013 at 3:14 AM

… if we could write public policy in crayon.

We aren’t already?

Cleombrotus on January 18, 2013 at 5:37 AM

chris christie is really proving to be the smartest, most likable republican right now…I would vote for him for 2016 president, over hilary or biden. Too bad conservatives will not let him out of the primaries.

nonpartisan on January 17, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Ha Ha Ha Ha! Says it all, doesn’t it?

Cleombrotus on January 18, 2013 at 5:39 AM

christie, just go back to jersey….you’re 15 minutes are up
____________________

children used by dear leader=pure genuis, awesome man
childrens’ safety by nra=right wing extremism at its finest, way out of line
-lsm

cmsinaz on January 18, 2013 at 5:45 AM

christie, just go back to jersey….you’re 15 minutes are up
____________________

cmsinaz on January 18, 2013 at 5:45 AM

and make sure you go over the George Washington bridge so you can pay that $13 toll you allowed to go through.

Cleombrotus on January 18, 2013 at 5:48 AM

Cleombrotus on January 18, 2013 at 5:48 AM

heh

cmsinaz on January 18, 2013 at 6:23 AM

Cleombrotus on January 18, 2013 at 5:48 AM

13 bucks to cross the gw? good thing it won’t hurt the middle class.

renalin on January 18, 2013 at 6:24 AM

renalin on January 18, 2013 at 6:24 AM

Yup. All tolls going into the City, through tunnels or over bridges, costs $13.

And that’s up $1 after only a year after they raised it up top $12 from $6.50!

Supposedly has something to do with funding the new World Trade Tower which I thought was privately financed. But I could be wrong.

Yeah, they just keep making it more and more expensive to live and work in that City.

Cleombrotus on January 18, 2013 at 6:29 AM

During this whole fiasco, I’ve been wondering…
Do we need to have Jethro Gibbs put out a BOLO for the Republican Leadership?
My take.

kingsjester on January 18, 2013 at 6:48 AM

CABLE NEWS RACE

WEDS JAN 16 2013

FOXNEWS O’REILLY 3,356,000
DISC AMISH MAFIA 3,200,000???? seriously?
FOXNEWS FIVE 2,323,000
MSNBC O’DONNELL 831,000
CNN COOPER 604,000
CNN PIERS 592,000

cmsinaz on January 18, 2013 at 6:54 AM

kingsjester on January 18, 2013 at 6:48 AM

good take KJ

christie leading the pack…

cmsinaz on January 18, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Christie is as much of a gun grabber as the pocket Hitler Bloomberg.

CorporatePiggy on January 18, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Mornin’.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 18, 2013 at 6:58 AM

it really irks me with all the hype the gop said that they would have all this leverage on the debt ceiling and other issues….

where is it????

cmsinaz on January 18, 2013 at 7:06 AM

morning alt :)

cmsinaz on January 18, 2013 at 7:06 AM

cmsinaz on January 18, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Thank you, ma’am!

kingsjester on January 18, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Gop already caving on the debt ceiling

cmsinaz on January 18, 2013 at 7:27 AM

And Christie castigates the NRA for their ad. The slob belongs in NJ. Just keep your job, governor. And NEVER get into the ’16 race.

tommy71 on January 18, 2013 at 7:31 AM

If our first task must be to care for our children, please answer me why over 55 million MILLION children have been killed “legally” before their first birthday. Until then, you’re words ring hollow, you narcissistic demagogue.

GFY

long_cat on January 18, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Any word on whether the 2016 GOP primary campaign schedule is going to be condensed and amended after the damaging, drawn out process last year? It is good that we have a process long enough and challenging enough to ensure that we don’t end up with a disastrous, unprepared Palin-type pick, but if it goes on as long as it did this last time, then our nominee might be too damaged and will not have enough time to recuperate and prepare for the general.

bluegill on January 18, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Perhaps those of you who believe the NRA ads aren’t ‘appropriate’ ought to read a very short scratch the surface history of the CPUSA from Wikipedia

I’ve read quite a lot of their history, as well as the history of the rise of communism in Russia & China, & the rise of fascism in the early 1900s as well.

History is amazing bcs it has so many lessons to teach us.
I’m clumsily bringing this up, bcs I only vaguely remember this from college English courses, the limitation of plots & such.
There are only really so many scenarios in literature, correct? Like 20 something, is that right?
I’m sure the intelligent among you can see what I mean.
History is the same way. There are only so many limited scenarios that will play out.
It is exactly why studying history is to study our future.
So the lessons that you can take away from this fruitless pursuit of socialism, which is nothing but communism, is that tyranny will eventually come out of it.
It may not happen for another 50 or 100 years.
But the point it is, Liberty is the only ideal that allows the human race to flourish in all of its wonders.
And it also allows the human race to fail miserably.
Better to fail by choice than to fail by force.

Badger40 on January 18, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Primary election schedule, that is.

bluegill on January 18, 2013 at 8:06 AM

unprepared Palin-type pick,

RENT FREE

tom daschle concerned on January 18, 2013 at 8:07 AM

“Only dead fish go with the flow.”

Fallon on January 18, 2013 at 8:10 AM

bluegill on January 18, 2013 at 8:04 AM

This is your problem.
You somehow think that a POTUS candidate needs to be groomed & prepared & crafted in order to get voted for.
How about finding a strong leader that is a good person who is up front & personal with the truth?
I found Palin to be that person.
But instead, she was excoriated unfairly & brutally by the media, & then the GOP jumped in to finish her off.
You seem to have no problem in being part of that.

Badger40 on January 18, 2013 at 8:21 AM

This is your problem.
I found Palin to be that person.
You seem to have no problem in being part of that.
Badger40 on January 18, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Do you think Palin made any mistakes herself?

I have watched her since 2008, and the woman still doesn’t appear particularly competent or articulate, even in very friendly settings, such as on Hannity. She makes Rick Perry look like Cicero. She hides from any and all challenging TV interview situations. As such, I have zero faith in her ability to get through even one non-FNC interview in one piece, let alone withstand a couple weeks of intense primary campaigning as a presidential candidate.

bluegill on January 18, 2013 at 8:35 AM

“Only dead fish go with the flow.”
Fallon on January 18, 2013 at 8:10 AM

This fish is alive and kicking.

bluegill on January 18, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Your goiters aren’t attractive. You opinions are, well, boorish.

tom daschle concerned on January 18, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Without a doubt, the high point of her political career. My congratulations to the speechwriter and, to some extent, to Sarah Palin for her effective delivery. I was so enthusiastic about Palin during and after that speech.

bluegill on January 18, 2013 at 8:40 AM

A fisheye lens produces strong visual distortion intended to create a warped picture. It is difficult to see the subject through this lens because the image becomes too distorted.

Cole Sear: I see dead people.
Malcolm Crowe: In your dreams?
[Cole shakes his head no]
Malcolm Crowe: While you’re awake?
[Cole nods]
Malcolm Crowe: Dead people like, in graves? In coffins?
Cole Sear: Walking around like regular people. They don’t see each other. They only see what they want to see. They don’t know they’re dead.
Malcolm Crowe: How often do you see them?
Cole Sear: All the time. They’re everywhere.

Fallon on January 18, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Here is an article I sincerely hope anyone who considers himself a conservative, a proponent of limited government, and admirer of the Founders/Framers and the creation of the Republic will read:

A Voluntary Federation