Video: Parents furious over suspensions for finger “guns”

posted at 3:51 pm on January 16, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

I’m not sure that this has all that much to do with the current gun hysteria that’s sweeping the media, but it’s a pretty good demonstration of gun hysteria in general, and the vapidity of “zero tolerance” policies, too. For the second time in recent weeks, a Maryland school has reversed a suspension of an elementary-school child pointing a “gun” at his classmates …. which consisted of his finger:

Is it child’s play or a serious threat of gun violence? For the second time in less than a month, a Maryland child is kicked out of school for using his finger in the shape of a gun.

If you have to ask that question, you shouldn’t be in charge of children at all. Kids have been playing cops and robbers with this gesture since before any of us were around, and I think I can fairly estimate the number of injuries and deaths from finger shootings at zero.

Is this kind of play inappropriate at school? That’s debatable in either direction, but even if it is, then the appropriate response is a time-out or cleaning some erasers, with a parental conference if the issue persists. Instead, we get the typical “zero tolerance” response to supposed violent behavior, which is designed only to protect administrators from having to exercise normal judgment in all possible situations. That seems to be a rather persistent problem in Maryland:

The number of suspensions has been on the rise in Maryland. School leaders say they will try to reduce those numbers.

Maybe it would help to stop freaking out every time kids play, or find people with more experience at it to be the adults in charge.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

It’s come to this…

*shaking the head *

cmsinaz on January 16, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Frankly the kid should have given them a different finger.

bbinfl on January 16, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Stay the heck away from the East Coast.

It is a foreign country now.

SD Tom on January 16, 2013 at 3:56 PM

If I were the teacher who saw it I would pretend otherwise. Seriously, no wonder people are fed up with the public school system considering this sort of shiite.

Bishop on January 16, 2013 at 3:57 PM

THIS IS NOT ABOUT SAFETY BUT CONTROL. No one has ever been hurt, much less killed, by “finger guns”, even if, and I want to make this perfectly clear, they did have a high capacity magazine clip. And a control freak would do something like this.

Flange on January 16, 2013 at 3:57 PM

So parents, show up at the next school board meeting, point your fingers at them, and waste the lot of them…..

Pshwooh, Pshwooh, Pshwooh!!

(Did that just get me on some list?)

Shaughnessy on January 16, 2013 at 3:58 PM

The school declined to comments citing rules that limit the number of times in a week they can sound absolutely senseless, as in “destitute of, deficient in, or contrary to sense”.

STL_Vet on January 16, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Just imagine the level of left-wing ideological fanaticism it takes to think that suspending a child from school over a finger “gun” is good policy.

Robert_Paulson on January 16, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Yes! I don’t blame the parents for being bent out of shape. The kids are just being kids.

Home schooling would put a stop to this maddness?
L

letget on January 16, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Stay the heck away from the East Coast.

It is a foreign country now.

SD Tom on January 16, 2013 at 3:56 PM

You’re not kidding there we have more than our share of morons and bufoons here in Floridope.

bbinfl on January 16, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Time to suspend some public school bureaucrats for their repeated and dangerous demonstration of their lack of critical thinking skills.

Midas on January 16, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Brain washing, ala Holder.

Rebar on January 16, 2013 at 4:01 PM

FLASHBACK: In 1999, Obama wouldn’t support tougher prosecution for school shooters

In 1999, State Senator Barack Obama voted “present” on a bill that would require adult prosecution for discharging a gun in or near a school.

That legislation came as a response to the tragic Columbine High School shooting that year.

SB 759 provided that anyone 15 years of age or older charged with aggravated battery with a weapon in school or within 1,000 feet of a school would be charged as an adult.

It passed the Illinois State Senate in a 52-1 vote, with 5 members voting present — including Obama.

That vote followed a trend for the young lawmaker, whose controversial votes on crime legislation often raised eyebrows.

A Chicago Tribune editorial even accused Obama of being a “gutless sheep” for missing a vote on crime legislation in late 1999.

Resist We Much on January 16, 2013 at 4:02 PM

BA—-BAAAM!!

These parents must be “bitter clingers”.

PappyD61 on January 16, 2013 at 4:03 PM

No sympathy.

These people live in an Obama state with Obama’s stupid puppet and wannabe 2016 Presidential candidate for governor.

They chose this. In fact, I would argue that this school deserves to live under Obama rules and be reminded daily that their Barack Obama and Obama Party are the ones demanding that children be prosecuted for this.

northdallasthirty on January 16, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I can’t count the number of kids I shot, and who shot me, can’t count the number of indians that I killed, some with a rubber knife…can’t count the number of German soldiers, I snuck up on and killed…and I can’t remember the number of times, hiding in the orchard, as the enemy passed by…ready to kill me…Geronimooooo, as you lept from the tree, shooting and when out of “bullets” (I hated those guys with CO2 rapid fire), you picked up an orange, it was a battle to the death. Those were the summer nights, faces covered with soot, dark clothes, and a BB gun, or yeah, a BB gun…you didn’t wear shorts, if you did you were a fool. And your eyes? Ahhhh, who ever got shot in their eyes? (one boy I knew, became a doctor)…yes, those hot summer nights, hunting the prey, or hiding from the prey. Eating oranges fresh off the trees, after being killed or killing, laughing at each other, wondering if Sandra likes Mike, and if we were lucky, a stolen Playboy from some parents bedroom. When the war was over, we were friends, we didn’t fight in school with our army buddies and enemies, fights were reserved for “outsiders” and few of them…I wouldn’t trade those nights for all the video games in the world, and they wouldn’t exist in this world.

right2bright on January 16, 2013 at 4:06 PM

When was the last time someone was killed with a finger gun? Did the kids pass a background check before they were allowed to have their twin finger guns? Did their doctor’s foresee any potential issues or abuses the little tikes would perpetrate with their finger guns?

I think the doctors for these people need to start screening them to see if they actually have a brain at all. There might be a problem there.

Meople on January 16, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Tell me, when they sell little boy’s cowboy outfits do they still come with guns and holster?

I think my parents had a Christmas photo of my brother proudly wearing his new cowboy clothes accessorized with dangerous toy guns.

INC on January 16, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Let’s refer to this as the case of the pew pew pupils and sell the idea to Law & Order right away.

CitizenEgg on January 16, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Meople on January 16, 2013 at 4:08 PM

If you let the kids keep fingers, only juveniles will have fingers…I say just remove the fingers and you won’t have this problem any more.

right2bright on January 16, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Off with their fingers! Chop! (let’s do it “for the children”).

Pork-Chop on January 16, 2013 at 4:11 PM

INC on January 16, 2013 at 4:09 PM

As a young boy I had a toy light machine gun complete with bipod and removable ammo box, if a kid had that today the parents would be imprisoned.

Bishop on January 16, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Finger bang bang

Dollayo on January 16, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Resist We Much on January 16, 2013 at 4:02 PM

You are a jewel coming up with so much good information on topics.
Thanks.
L

letget on January 16, 2013 at 4:12 PM

INC on January 16, 2013 at 4:09 PM

You can bet every boy that is now in congress, wanted a holster and cap gun…if not then they wanted to play with dolls.

right2bright on January 16, 2013 at 4:12 PM

INC on January 16, 2013 at 4:09 PM

right2bright on January 16, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Hell, I bet crybaby Bonehead is still playing with his favorite Barbie Doll.

SWalker on January 16, 2013 at 4:16 PM

right2bright on January 16, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I’m guessing Boehner did the latter. And probably most of the rest of the Repubs.

The Rogue Tomato on January 16, 2013 at 4:16 PM

But, but, but didn’t Clint Eastwood get himself killed in “Torino” by doing the same thing? We have to protect ourselves, don’t we?

HiJack on January 16, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I remember cap guns. I loved them.

INC on January 16, 2013 at 4:17 PM

20 years ago I thought that if I didn’t buy my toddler a gun, he wouldn’t pretend to shoot people. Instead, he cocked his hand into the gun shape and shouted, “Bee-yoo!” So I got him a plastic beeyoo-er so he could beeyoo the bad guys.

He grew up okay.

2L8 on January 16, 2013 at 4:18 PM

What kind of games do kids play nowadays? Do they see the sunlight and actually go outside? I’m old, I sincerely don’t know. Cops and robbers…out. Cowboys and Indians out, what’s in Mikey and Johnny get married?

hip shot on January 16, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Bishop on January 16, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Our summers in the desert with surplus army ammo belts, canteens, those crazy folding shovels, the flashlights the army green “L” shaped, dummy grenades, bayonets on our belt (we had to clean the rabbits with something) and our 22′s (or bow and arrows) hunting rabbits…a dozen of us, none of us ever shot up a school.

Never had a machine gun, a little envious of that…had a four foot long replica of a howitzer that was built as a demo model, wish I still had that one.

right2bright on January 16, 2013 at 4:18 PM

what’s the next gun controversy going to be about… nerf guns? water guns? lol

Sachiko on January 16, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I’ve got zero tolerance for these zero tolerance policies.

rbj on January 16, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Yeah, but… those were high capacity assault finger gun clipazines!

Midas on January 16, 2013 at 4:20 PM

The Rogue Tomato on January 16, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I doubt it, people just forget where they came from, once they arrived…

right2bright on January 16, 2013 at 4:21 PM

As long as the child wasn’t holding more then 7 rounds in his hand…I fail to see a threat.

trs on January 16, 2013 at 4:21 PM

what’s the next gun controversy going to be about… nerf guns? water guns? lol

Sachiko on January 16, 2013 at 4:20 PM

You laughed?

Now you are shaking your head…

right2bright on January 16, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Resist We Much on January 16, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I’ll say it again, you’re priceless.

Midas on January 16, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I think I would have been more worried if the kid had loaded that with a rubber band…./s

right2bright on January 16, 2013 at 4:23 PM

This isn’t about gun control, but rather left-wing indoctrination.

sharrukin on January 16, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I’d normally say fire the teachers that are incapable of exercising JUDGEMENT…but then I figured it would be a unionized teacher, so they should probably be in line for a raise.

search4truth on January 16, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Just think of the outrage if he was holding up an imaginary AR.

tommer74 on January 16, 2013 at 4:24 PM

This isn’t about gun control, but rather left-wing indoctrination.

sharrukin on January 16, 2013 at 4:23 PM

ummmmmm….yeah, it’s rather obvious, just like “healthcare” wasn’t for lowering health care costs…it wasn’t for health care, gun laws aren’t to protect, taxes aren’t just to raise revenues…

right2bright on January 16, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Parents, please teach your kids that if they really must do the gun gesture at school, they should use their middle finger.
Then, when some union thug in the school district tries to suspend or expell your kid, you can sue them for attacking the sexual freedom of expression of your kid. Make it a 1st Am issue.
It always works.

burrata on January 16, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Put it on the kid’s permanent record so it’ll show up in future common sense universal comprehensive background checks.

forest on January 16, 2013 at 4:27 PM

It’s come to this…

*shaking the head *

Come to this? In many places its been like this for too long. A child dare not mimic, speak of, draw, hint at or even actively think about such a thing as a hand gun without suffering severe repercussion.

hawkeye54 on January 16, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Hold your hand sideways..
Like a Gangsta…

Really looks cool..

Electrongod on January 16, 2013 at 4:29 PM

How many finger guns does a child really need?

EnglishRogue on January 16, 2013 at 4:30 PM

right2bright on January 16, 2013 at 4:25 PM

That is what annoys me about too many Republicans who are far too charitable regarding leftists and their motives, despite decades of such behavior.

sharrukin on January 16, 2013 at 4:30 PM

You can bet every boy that is now in congress , wanted a holster and cap gun…if not then they wanted to play with dolls.

“Every” may be too inclusive. I’m thinking there are a few in, and former members of, CONgress who, when they were boys, may likely have dreamed of having their own Barbie instead of a holster and cap gun.

hawkeye54 on January 16, 2013 at 4:30 PM

How about a double barrel shotgun…
Side-by-side?
Over-under?

Electrongod on January 16, 2013 at 4:31 PM

How many finger guns does a child really need?

Considering some school environments, as many as they can pack.

hawkeye54 on January 16, 2013 at 4:31 PM

When my kids were little the neighbors were oh so lib and non-violent. They had two sons how were not allowed to have toy guns or swords or any “weapons” at all. What did the little darlings do? They made their own guns and swords out of wood and other things.One of these ‘peaceful” lads ended up in jail for numerous offenses including assault with a deadly weapon… a baseball bat…

sandee on January 16, 2013 at 4:32 PM

You can put both hands together and create a Gatling gun?

Electrongod on January 16, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Considering some school environments, as many as they can pack.

hawkeye54 on January 16, 2013 at 4:31 PM

We need to put a limit on the number of fingers used for imaginary ‘guns’.

EnglishRogue on January 16, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Finger bang bang

Dollayo on January 16, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Ha! Beat me to it.

Catoclysmos on January 16, 2013 at 4:36 PM

amazing isn’t it? We had Rat Patrol, GI Joe, cap guns when we were little and no one ever got hurt (except poor Joe, man we put him through the wringer). We shot 22s along the bayou in Houston when I was 10 or 12 and nobody ever said a thing about it.

I raised my kids pretty much like I was raised and they’re fine. Reagan’s line about one generation removed from freedom is coming too true.

DanMan on January 16, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Our governor, Martin O’Malley (who wants to be president in 2016, by the way), is now agitating to repeal the death penalty. Apparently excepted from the repeal are young kids using finger guns.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on January 16, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I’ve got zero tolerance for these zero tolerance policies.

rbj on January 16, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Zero tolerance are policies designed to keep so called responsible adults immune from making decisions based on critical thinking.

antipc on January 16, 2013 at 4:40 PM

You can put both hands together and create a Gatling gun?

Put your arms and hands in just the right position and you can mimic a swell sub-machine gun along with making “rat-a-ta-tat” machine gun sound effects from your mouth. I know this from childhood experience.

What we need in elementary schools is a control of or ban on arms, hands, and mouths. The leftist indoctrinators already have a lock on banning thought.

hawkeye54 on January 16, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Frankly the kid should have given them a different finger.

bbinfl on January 16, 2013 at 3:55 PM

…I believe it would be my duty…as a responsible parent…to ask the teacher to hold a school assembly and tell the principle it would be for the sole purpose of chastising my kid in front of the whole school…and then proceed at that time…to give them both birds…and MOON the assembly!

KOOLAID2 on January 16, 2013 at 4:43 PM

You can put both hands together and create a Gatling gun?

Electrongod on January 16, 2013 at 4:33 PM

What would they turn the crank with?

Besides finger guns only have a three round non-detachable magazine…….I have known some cheaters who never reload though.

antipc on January 16, 2013 at 4:44 PM

The kids will learn a lot more away from school than in it.

Parents had best take note of that, right quick.

ajacksonian on January 16, 2013 at 4:45 PM

We gave our 9 year-old grandson a pocket knife for Christmas this year. I told him that he should NEVER take it to school but if he forgot and found that it was in his pocket when he was at school, he should NEVER EVER let ANY person at school know he had it. Adult or child. Just keep quiet and take it out of your pocket when you get home.

It never occurred to me that we should warn him about the dangers of showing people his fingers.

Lily on January 16, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Pshwooh, Pshwooh, Pshwooh!!

(Did that just get me on some list?)

Shaughnessy on January 16, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Great idea!

Also, when I was a kid I used to look at people through my thumb and index finger and pretend I was squishing their head. I think I saw that on tv.

mrsmwp on January 16, 2013 at 4:48 PM

OK. Here we go. It’s “I’m crushing your head”

mrsmwp on January 16, 2013 at 4:52 PM

They never figured it out…the best sure way to tell a boy from a girl is have them both make a firing gun sound, or a machine gun sound.
That is why using a finger as a gun is important…lifting up the dress comes later…

right2bright on January 16, 2013 at 4:53 PM

right2bright on January 16, 2013 at 4:53 PM
I have two boys aged 8 and 5 and as I’m sure you’re aware absolutely any object, anywhere can be used as a gun. I’m not just talking sticks, rocks, etc. Stapler=Gun. Lamp=Gun. Book=Gun. Violin=Really Badass Gun. LOL. You get the idea.

mrsmwp on January 16, 2013 at 4:57 PM

right2bright on January 16, 2013 at 4:53 PM

mrsmwp on January 16, 2013 at 4:57 PM

mrsmwp on January 16, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Off with their fingers! Chop! (let’s do it “for the children”).

Pork-Chop on January 16, 2013 at 4:11 PM

We left the camp after we had inoculated the children for Polio, and this old man came running after us, and he was crying. He couldn’t see. We went back there, and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And I remember oh, oh, oh I cried. I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn’t know what I wanted to do. And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it. I never want to forget. And then I realized, like I was shot, like I was shot with a diamond…. a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought: My God, the genius of that. The genius. The will to do that.

Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we. Because they could stand that these were not monsters. These were men, trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love, but they had the strength, the strength, to do that. If I had ten divisions of those men, then our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral, and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling, without passion, without judgment– without judgment. Because it’s judgment that defeats us.

Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

Shaughnessy on January 16, 2013 at 4:59 PM

You have no idea…

Gatsu on January 16, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Yeah, hopefully by reducing the number of STUPID ADMINISTRATORS who initiate such actions.

If this is their level of THINKING, perhaps it’s time they join the fun-employment line.

GarandFan on January 16, 2013 at 5:00 PM

The Stupid runs all through the system.

Teen stopped at airport for gun design on purse

Socratease on January 16, 2013 at 5:01 PM

No sympathy.

northdallasthirty on January 16, 2013 at 4:04 PM

To be fair, I didn’t vote for any of this.

Maryland is quite literally split in two, one district is red, and the other 7 gerrymandered ones are deep blue…

Gatsu on January 16, 2013 at 5:02 PM

If such drastic measures result in only saving one life, they’re worth taking.

/sarc

xblade on January 16, 2013 at 5:04 PM

You know, I used to think Jeff Cooper’s term “hoplophobia” was hyperbole, but now it looks prophetic.

Socratease on January 16, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Welcome to Obama’s ‘Nanny State On UBRE Steroids’!

The extreme level of intrusion in every aspect of our lives by the federal government, especially under this self-professed communist/hate-spewing raicst-mentored President, is beyond any of our comprehensions just a few years ago!

I fear if America does not wake up and do so quickly this nation as we know it (knew it 10 years ago) will fall, fulfilling Marx’s prediction/warning that the only way the US will ever fall will be from within.

easyt65 on January 16, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Chump — inadvertently — let the cat out of the bag…

Homicides committed in Newtown, Connecticut on December 14, 2012:
27.
That is the statistic that has changed everything.

chumpThreads on January 16, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Duly noted that the 512 murders of primarily minorities in Chicago last year CHANGED NOTHING in your estimation.

It takes dead WHITE children to light a fire under the arses of Proggies.

Resist We Much on January 16, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Letget & Midas: Thx. I do my best.

Resist We Much on January 16, 2013 at 5:06 PM

mrsmwp on January 16, 2013 at 4:57 PM

My son was eating a sandwich, chewing away at all the sides, came out a gun and “shot” his sister…his sister grabbed her chest, rolled off the floor and dramatically stated “you got me”…neither one has ever shot up a school.

right2bright on January 16, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Homicides committed in Newtown, Connecticut on December 14, 2012:
27.
That is the statistic that has changed everything.

chumpThreads on January 16, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Which is a hot summer weekend in Detroit or Chicago…what’s the point?

right2bright on January 16, 2013 at 5:07 PM

All of you posters, there are hundreds…out of all the kids that you have “shot”, all the time kids “shot” you, or that your kids did the same…how many of those have shot up a school?

Their are millions of kids in school, millions that have gone to school, probably billions, and one was crazy…okay, one kid did huge damage, but it was one kid out of billions…meanwhile, millions dropping out because they can’t read…they are doomed also.

right2bright on January 16, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Oh please, of course, this has to do with “the current gun hysteria that’s sweeping the media” and the general idiocy of the libturds in this country. This whole bleepin’ country is out of order. Law-abiding travelers get humiliated and screwed bcuz of terrorists. Law-abiding and responsible gun owners get demonized and persecuted with laws bcuz nutjobs and criminals commit crimes using stolen or illegal guns. And now innocent children get punished severely for youthful naive play. The loony-left commie adults have all gone crackers!

stukinIL4now on January 16, 2013 at 5:12 PM

If cutting off the hands of these finger desperadoes will save a single single life now or in the future isn’t it worth it?

GreenBlade on January 16, 2013 at 5:14 PM

right2bright on January 16, 2013 at 5:06 PM

LOL! Maybe they should ban food!

mrsmwp on January 16, 2013 at 5:15 PM

LOL! Maybe they should ban food!

mrsmwp on January 16, 2013 at 5:15 PM

No. Just “the sandwich”, especially high capacity sandwiches… I mean, who needs ham AND turkey?! LUNACY!

Gatsu on January 16, 2013 at 5:20 PM

We reserve the right to tell people what to do with their bodies when it comes to everything except abortion. Finger guns are a step too far, and, according to a study I made up for this comment, 79% of children who make finger guns eventually wind up selling crack to other children. I, for one, applaud the efforts of the police state at Maryland elementary schools as I am sure this will immediately lead to a decrease in finger gun crime.

menacetosobriety on January 16, 2013 at 5:22 PM

chumpThreads

…yep!…you are the chump!

KOOLAID2 on January 16, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Stay the heck away from the East Coast.

It is a foreign country now.

If anyone should think of secceeding it should be these loons in the NE…for denying their citizens constitutional rights and protections…they have assumed the mantle of TYRANTS, KINGS and PRINCES & PRINCESSES!

NY, NJ, CT, MA, MD, ME, RI should be run out of the union.

What’s even more amazing…is that these were once part of the original 13 colonies? They’re mentally unbalanced, sick and corrupt.

Twana on January 16, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I had supervision duty at my elementary school yesterday. I noticed the Kindergarten boys were playing some type of battle using, according to what I heard them describe, as a (make believe) machine gun, a rocket launcher and hand-greanades (they actually used yarn balls from my PE locker for these). Took me back to my child hood days, playing “army” with my friends. And then I read this. I guess i should be fired for not reporting them./

Goody2Shoes on January 16, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Uh oh. I would have escalated with my imaginary bazooka.

John the Libertarian on January 16, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I don’t recall ever using a finger as a gun at elementary school.

Spitwad shooters made from a Bic pen shell? Check.
Rubber band gun made from a piece of wood and a couple of nails? Check (although if found at school they’d tae it away).
“Grenades” made from pospicle sticks? Check.

But I don’t think we ever used our fingers as guns.

malclave on January 16, 2013 at 5:49 PM

what’s the next gun controversy going to be about… nerf guns? water guns? lol

Sachiko on January 16, 2013 at 4:20 PM

So help them if they take my super soaker 100!

Gatsu on January 16, 2013 at 5:51 PM

right2bright on January 16, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I wish I could’ve grown up in a nation like that. Instead, I had to be young enough to grow up in a country where you never sent your child out unsupervised because of all the pedos prowling the streets. Video games kept me inside, and safe, in an area where I wouldn’t have been, otherwise.

mintycrys on January 16, 2013 at 6:01 PM

It s time we have a national debate on finger gun violence, and whether or not we should limit the size of finger gun magazines and re instate the ban on semi automatic, or military style finger guns. If we can stop just one instance of finger gun violence then isn’t worth it.

oldmans on January 16, 2013 at 6:03 PM

This took place in a more conservative part of the state. AS much as I joke about the People’s Repulik of Maryland, the rural and coastal parts are conservative. Unfortunately, the numbers from the DC suburbs (Montgomery County) and Baltimore City and outskirts are just enough with GOTV to put the rest of us under commie rule. We get occassional (R)s in office, but the 48%ers keep voting for Dumocrats.

Laura in Maryland on January 16, 2013 at 6:07 PM

We get occassional (R)s in office, but the 48%ers keep voting for Dumocrats.

Laura in Maryland on January 16, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I beg to differ. The rural and coastal counties aren’t growing as fast as the blue counties. Ehrlich in 2002 was the last statewide Republican we’ll have in Maryland as far as the eye can see.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on January 16, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Hey kid, where’s the registration for that finger?

hip shot on January 16, 2013 at 6:34 PM

The way to stop this crap is for every child to yell gun and start crying every time a teacher points their finger.

meci on January 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM