Obama unveils 23 executive actions on guns

posted at 1:11 pm on January 16, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

In full, the White House’s fact sheet and executive summary of the gun-control proposals Obama announced in his presser Wednesday afternoon, with a reinstatement of an assault-weapons ban, universal background checks, and 10-bullet limits on magazine capacities figuring prominently:

I don’t know what was harder to stomach about that speech: President Obama’s completely glib suggestion that “this is the land of the free and it always will be,” as if American exceptionalism is somehow a simple given that does not require constant vigilance, or his lamenting all of the divisiveness around gun-control politics but then turning around and blaming groups like the NRA for “ginning up fear” and daring not to abide by progressive notions of safety and security.

The quick reaction from Sen. Marco Rubio:

Rubio, often mentioned as a likely 2016 presidential candidate, said it would have been better if Obama had decided to announce his proposals without being accompanied by children. …

“I think ultimately he has a right to do that, and I understand he has a right to do that,” Rubio said. “I think most of us would have preferred if it just had been a straightforward address to the country because it implies that somehow those of us who do not agree with his public policy prescriptions don’t equally care about children.” …

Rubio called Democrats’ interest in pushing a new assault-weapons ban “misplaced.”

“I think it’s completely misplaced. Because here’s the issue in this public policy debate that’s different from others: There is a constitutional right to bear arms,” Rubio said. “I did not create that and he cannot erase that. It is in the Constitution. If they want to change the Constitution, if they want to believe the Second Amendment should not be in there or if they believe it should be rewritten in the 21st century then let them have the guts to stand up and propose that.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 7

I’ve told you for a time now to always answer “NO” when asked by any hospital questionnaire or dr. if you own/use guns.

“N/a” will get you in trouble.

“Yes” will too.

You thought it was fiction. Today it became reality.

Schadenfreude on January 16, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Narcissitic SCOAMF is narcissistic

PolAgnostic on January 16, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I have an executive order of my own. I like to call it the “You can kiss my @ss” order.

iceman1960 on January 16, 2013 at 1:16 PM

That would require courage, which is not something found in people who use children as props.

Mr. D on January 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Y’know, he announced this on the same date the 18th Ammendment was certified. Just sayin’….

apostic on January 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM

America is headed for a big bust up…I hope it remains political…but I fear it will not.

d1carter on January 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I’ll cut a deal with Obama. I’ll turn in any ‘assault rifle’ I might have access to, if I can get a Hellfire-equipped drone like those he has access to (and are used frequently). It’ll certainly reduce the possibility of ‘gun violence’!

michaelo on January 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Although the 23 Executive actions look like a big nothingburger they make it pretty clear that the BATF will have complete access to everyone’s medical records which will be stored in a Federal database under Obamacare. Accordingly, if you want to keep your guns be very wary of seeking help from your doctor is you think you have depression or any other mental issues. Same for any substance abuse issue you think you might have. Finally, if your health care provider asks if you have any guns in the home just lie and say no.

tommyboy on January 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM

“N/a” will get you in trouble.

“Yes” will too.

You thought it was fiction. Today it became reality.

Schadenfreude on January 16, 2013 at 1:14 PM

None of your damn business is my response.

Now, when it comes to the “do you drink” question. The answer is always “socially.” Say no, they’ll call you a liar. Say yes and they’ll call you a drunk.

Happy Nomad on January 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Very Shortly, Owning a gun will be a mental Illness.

Bulletchaser on January 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM

The auto-playing video clip.

Seriously, the former. Teh SCOAMF does the latter enough that my stomach has built up a bit of a tolerance to that churner.

Steve Eggleston on January 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM

just the kind of response i would expect from two-face rubio. a true rino in its purest. at the ready to have its ovaries fertilized by the left.

renalin on January 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM

To a democrat AR stands for armed republican and AK stands for armed kook.

meci on January 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM

None of your damn business is my response.

IN which case the Doc will just put “refused to answer” in your medical records and the feds will treat this the same as a “yes”. Better to just lie.

tommyboy on January 16, 2013 at 1:19 PM

We are an occupied nation, under enemy control – we are not free.

Pork-Chop on January 16, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Schadenfreude on January 16, 2013 at 1:14 PM

A couple of years ago, my kids doc stopped asking that question. Moved on to trampolines.
Said they were WAY more dangerous to a kids health.
Every day emergency for her.

Jabberwock on January 16, 2013 at 1:20 PM

“The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation.”

Mein Kampf, by Adolf Hitler
[Publ. Houghton Miflin, 1943, Page 403]

Won’t someone please think of the children?!

SD Tom on January 16, 2013 at 1:20 PM

GOD HELP US survive those that lead us.

King Obama means it so much he has to read it from a TELEPROMPTER.

PappyD61 on January 16, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Misplaced?

Just shut up nimrod. even your pandering is squishy.

Tim_CA on January 16, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Soooo, they want doctors and patients to feel comfortable talking about firearms, but they also want to make sure the doctor can snitch on the patient to the Feds.

I see. Will the doctors be trading in their white lab coats for brown ones?

LoganSix on January 16, 2013 at 1:21 PM

HA: Pls set the video to manual ON, not to play every time the page is downloaded.

petefrt on January 16, 2013 at 1:21 PM

As I related on the NRA Thread, my doctor reads my Blog and hates the Manchurian President. I’ll have no problems.

kingsjester on January 16, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Apparently some mental health organizations have already criticized the EO’s regarding mental health as being counter-productive.

Yet another reason why a complete lack of critical thinking capabilities should be prima facie evidence of being mentally incompetent.

PolAgnostic on January 16, 2013 at 1:22 PM

That picture on the front page, there is no Asian kid in it ? Why ?
Why does Hussein hate Asian kids ?

burrata on January 16, 2013 at 1:22 PM

The current administration can’t get info straight about Bengazi, then takes four months to stonewall the investigation…yet, “Kids Write Letters to Obama on Gun Control” article shows that MSM(ABC and Good Morning America) and Obama can marshall resources for a PR campaign to futher their facism in less than a week?

Meh.

socalcon on January 16, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Deputizing doctors
Yea

cmsinaz on January 16, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Today is the 94th anniversary of the ratification of prohibition.

“It’s like poetry; it rhymes”. ~Jorge Lucas

3.14159 on January 16, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Very Shortly, Owning a gun will be a mental Illness.

Bulletchaser on January 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM

THIS.

PappyD61 on January 16, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Another stimulus bill

Paygo….yeah right

cmsinaz on January 16, 2013 at 1:23 PM

So, they’re going to use ObamaCare as a means to “tax” gun owners. Interesting. I can’t wait to see that hit the courtrooms.

ButterflyDragon on January 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Many states will pass laws prohibiting the enforcement or our Commie in Chief…
Bad days are ahead for America before we rid ourselves of this scourge…

d1carter on January 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM

apostic on January 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Obama is creepy in this way. He thinks that dates have power. Like denying the Polish missile defense on the date that the Russians invaded or 100 other examples that I will look up after I have more coffee. Anyway, he thinks it gives his edicts more Gravitas.

What it does is convince me that he is mentally ill.

Bulletchaser on January 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Watch the level of gun violence go UP on the part of criminals and gangbangers who are essentially going to give Obama the finger for this idiotic approach of his.

pilamaye on January 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Patently unconstitutional, and reeking of the most foul hypocrisy.

If Obama wanted to keep our children safe, he would have issued an executive order overturning Roe v. Wade (well, if his executive orders can override the clear words and meaning of the Constitution then overruling a mere Supreme Court case is but trivia).

His blood-soaked hobby horse that is abortion kills exponentially more children each year than do guns.

This has nothing to do with Sandy Hook, or guns in the hands of the mentally ill, nor does it have anything to do with actually reducing crime.

All are red herrings.

He is hell bent upon disarming this nation for his own evil intents. He does not give a s*** about us or our rights. He is not going to stop until we are destroyed as a Republic.

A disarmed nation is powerless against a nascent tyrant like Obama.

He’s not a president, he is a traitor and a criminal.

And he must be stopped.

turfmann on January 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM

23 Executive orders that not one single law-abiding American will give a rat’s ass about.

Obama is not a king. Presidents don’t make laws by proclaiming them to be the law. That’s not how our system works.

baldylox on January 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM

The TWO CHILDREN of the murdered border agent, Nicholas Ivie, are strangely missing from this photo op!

fbcmusicman on January 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Man, I wish we had an American President…instead of an anti-American one.

kingsjester on January 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Won’t someone please think of the children?!

SD Tom on January 16, 2013 at 1:20 PM

When it comes to trusting people who promote killing your child before it can be born to have the best interest of my live child in mind, permit me a little skepticism.

Night Owl on January 16, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Rep. Steve Stockman threatened on Monday to defund the White House and potentially file impeachment charges if President Obama pushes forward with gun control measures without congressional approval.

Ok Stockman… the ball in now officially in your court. How much you want to bet that Boehner and McConnell refuse to give you any support should you man up and follow through.

SWalker on January 16, 2013 at 1:25 PM

State officials in Oregon and Texas are vowing to fight back against any attempt by the federal government to impose new gun control laws.

Rebar on January 16, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Oregon? Hm, I thought they were all lefties up there.

socalcon on January 16, 2013 at 1:25 PM

tommyboy on January 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I don’t have to lie. Mine are all in the garage.

Well, except for that one in my purse. I doubt they’ll ask if I have one on me.

But, technically…..no I don’t have any at my *cough* house *cough*. And why would you ask such a silly question, Doctor?

Lily on January 16, 2013 at 1:25 PM

kingsjester on January 16, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Yeah, but you have be licensed to practice medicine, do you not? I don’t care how many doctors out there hate Obama(and the number is very high). They’re gonna have to comply with the new bureaucracy.

Doughboy on January 16, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Rubio’s statement regarding The One’s use of children as props was weak tea. Rubio should have been much stronger in calling this what it was- the use of children as propaganda props and exploitation pure and simple. Republicans have got to stop being tentative and restrained and start going on aggressive offense against these marxist propaganda tactics.

AZfederalist on January 16, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Of course, then they will call for MORE gun control.

mrscullen on January 16, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Whenever I hear “common-sense steps” I think of an ad telling me that something I don’t want is ONLY $10,000.

29Victor on January 16, 2013 at 1:26 PM

TRANSCRIPT

esident Obama’s remarks on new gun control actions, Jan. 16, 2013 (Transcript)

VICE PRESIDENT JOE BIDEN: Before — before I begin today, let me say to the families of the innocents who were murdered 33 days ago, our heart — our heart goes out to you. And you show incredible courage — incredible courage being here. And the president and I are going to do everything in our power to honor the memory of your children and your wives with — with the work we take up here today.

It’s been 33 days since the nation’s heart was broken by the horrific, senseless violence that took place at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Twenty — twenty — beautiful first-graders gunned down in a place that’s supposed to be their second sanctuary. 7

BIDEN: Six — six — members of the staff killed, trying to save those children. It’s literally been hard for the nation to comprehend, hard for the nation to fathom. And I know for the families who are here, time is not measured in days, but it’s measured in minutes, in seconds since you received that news — another minute without your daughter, another minute without your son, another minute without your wife, another minute without your mom.

I want to personally thank Chris and Lynn McDonnell (ph), who lost their beautiful daughter, Grace (ph), and the other parents who I had a chance to speak to, for — for their suggestions and for, again, just for their — the courage of all of you to be here today. I admire — I admire the grace and the resolve you all are showing.

And I must say, I’ve been deeply affected by your faith as well, and the president and I are going to do everything to try to match the resolve you’ve demonstrated. No one can know for certain if this senseless act could have been prevented, but we all know we have a moral obligation — a moral obligation to do everything in our power to diminish the prospect that something like this could happen again.

BIDEN: As the president knows, I’ve worked in this field a long time in the United States Senate, having chaired a committee that had jurisdiction over these issues of guns and crime, and having drafted the first gun violence legislation — the last gun violence legislation, I should say. And I have no illusions about we’re up against — what we’re up against, or how hard the task is in front of us. But I also have never seen the nation’s conscience so shaken by what happened at Sandy Hook.

The world has changed, and it’s demanding action. It’s in this context that the president asked me to put together, along with cabinet members, a set of recommendations about how we should proceed to meet that moral obligation we have. And toward that end, the cabinet members and I sat down with 229 groups — not just individuals — representing groups, 229 groups, from law enforcement agencies to public health officials to gun officials to gun advocacy groups, to — to sportsmen and hunters and religious leaders. And I’ve spoken with members of Congress on both sides of the aisle, had extensive conversations with mayors and governors and county officials.

5 More Pages!

canopfor on January 16, 2013 at 1:16 PM

canopfor on January 16, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Meh.

socalcon on January 16, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I wonder how come no child from Sh1tcago ever writes to Hussein about the daily killings on their streets ?

burrata on January 16, 2013 at 1:26 PM

God King Obama says he cares about the children and that protecting them shouldn’t be “divisive”.

Since the Palace media won’t ask him the question….

When you were in the Illinois Senate Mr. Obama, how about those that survived a botched abortion? Did they deserve protecting?

PappyD61 on January 16, 2013 at 1:28 PM

IIRC, didn’t the nra get with dear joe to put in bhocare that doctors weren’t required to get this information? Is this a slap in the face of the nra on the new video about bho from the nra?
L

letget on January 16, 2013 at 1:28 PM

The House should promise a debate on Obama’s legislative proposals–after Obama comes clean on the deaths of Mexicans from Fast and Furious.

Hold that press conference with graphic photos of the Mexican dead in the background.

BuckeyeSam on January 16, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Doughboy on January 16, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Then, I will tell you how he’ll state it:

“You don’t have any guns at your house, do you. Good.”

kingsjester on January 16, 2013 at 1:29 PM

So what will 0bama do when his scientific studies are completed and finds that the vast majority of gun crimes are committed by blacks and hispanics?

Tc0061 on January 16, 2013 at 1:29 PM

—-and yet, since 1973, he has supported the murder in the womb of OVER 50 MILLION LITTLE BABIES.

PappyD61 on January 16, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I just blocked that auto play video…it was making me nauseous…

d1carter on January 16, 2013 at 1:29 PM

announce his proposals … being accompanied by children

Ole JugEars pulled the same tactic (no. not strategy) with doctors for Obamacare charade in the Rose Garden. Many of which were merely staff in doctor’s coats….

Did we check ids and permission slips for the school children? ‘Little people’ perhaps?

socalcon on January 16, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Listen, it is simple. We have a constitution with the second amendment. You have a way to change it. If you want to change it – go ahead and try. But to pass unconstitutional laws while knowing it is treason and sedition. So you have only 2 options – follow the Constitution or change it.

Corsair on January 16, 2013 at 1:30 PM

–Mein Kampf, by Adolf Hitler
[Publ. Houghton Miflin, 1943, Page 403]

Now that is chilling.

Medical records accessible by the BATF…Vomit.

Bulletchaser on January 16, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Was any organization that donates campaign funds to him or the democrat party affected adversely?

No? What and who have been the drivers of the “if it feels good do it” mentality and who has destroyed the family and the communities they live in?

Who has divided the nation into angry camps?

Speakup on January 16, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Exactly! One thing Rubio can see is a Castro in the making. If Fidel wants to change the constitution there is a process for that otherwise any law that comes out of that is unenforceable and should be voided by the states that actually take all that stuff in constitution seriously.

William Eaton on January 16, 2013 at 1:30 PM

24. Ask Eric Holder to stop giving out machine guns to drug cartels in Mexico.

cool breeze on January 16, 2013 at 1:30 PM

“this is the land of the free and it always will be,”

He is always a bullsh*tter.

————

None of your damn business is my response.

Happy Nomad on January 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM

After today this answer will get you on a national watch list.

Schadenfreude on January 16, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Oregon? Hm, I thought they were all lefties up there.

socalcon on January 16, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I believe that the city of Eugene, OR is the home to several large anarchist organizations; they don’t like the Man.

Bishop on January 16, 2013 at 1:31 PM

burrata on January 16, 2013 at 1:26 PM

With the ‘schools’ they have in that city, they’re lucky if after 12 years of ‘education’ they’re literate enough to write their cre8ive pseudo-african name.

The average child of a Chicago-dwelling Democrat could no more write a letter to the POTUS articulately describing the horrors they faced daily – and what was causing them – then they could flap their arms and fly to the moon.

MelonCollie on January 16, 2013 at 1:32 PM

When young my kids were asked by their doctor if there were guns in the house. My son was stupid and said yes but, my daughter said no. When confronted that her brother said we did she laughed and said he was talking about those old things over the fireplace. The doctor looked at me and I explained that I got a couple of non working WWI rifles at a flea market and hung them over the fireplace.

Smart girl she is. We don’t have a fire place and I asked her why she lied. She said nobody was going to take away her “crack shot”. It’s a small 100 year old single shot 22 rifle I got her when she was about 8 years old.

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 16, 2013 at 1:32 PM

None of them know how to write because they all go to democrat run government schools.

Tc0061 on January 16, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Read the “Plan” and I can’t find a thing in it that would have prevented the Sandy Hook shooting except the hint of armed officers in schools. Wayne LaPierre suggested this a couple of weeks ago, the talking heads made fun of him for about a week. I wonder if they’ll make fun of Obama now.

29Victor on January 16, 2013 at 1:32 PM

PappyD61 on January 16, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Yet yesterday–Obama: If gun control saves one child, it’s worth it

socalcon on January 16, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I just heard on the top of the hour news that gun/ammo stocks are rising after bho’s lie!
L

letget on January 16, 2013 at 1:33 PM

In 2014 electronic medical records will be mandatory. The gun items will be incorporated.

Schadenfreude on January 16, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Speaking of Gun Control,7 Americans are under the Gun!

Report: Al-Qaida-linked group claims to have 41 hostages, including 7 Americans, in Algerian raid, Mauritanian media says – @Reuters

2 hours ago by editor

canopfor on January 16, 2013 at 1:33 PM

effin POS Obama – Using children as a human shield…..

Just like his muslim terrorists buddies use the innocent….

What a commie creep he is.

FlaMurph on January 16, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Bishop on January 16, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I keep hearing that. Too bad “the Man” doesn’t show how he doesn’t like them by marooning a few prominent anarchies on desert islands. You’d see the little whiners shut up so fast…

MelonCollie on January 16, 2013 at 1:33 PM

None of your damn business is my response.

Happy Nomad on January 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM

After today this answer will get you on a national watch list.

Schadenfreude on January 16, 2013 at 1:31 PM

ATTACK WAAAAATCHHH!! Part Three!

LoganSix on January 16, 2013 at 1:34 PM

This is all bullsnacks anyway, reading that list made my eyes glaze over except for the “assault weapons” and high-capacity mags section.

Barky will throw this out there to the Congress and then wash his hands of it, either way he’s protecting himself no matter how it all turns out in the end.

Meanwhile every citizen who heard this is now frantically searching for any AR’s or mags they can find.

Bishop on January 16, 2013 at 1:34 PM

We cannot allow those who help put guns into the handsof criminals to get away with just a slap on the wrist.

Precedent Barky, AG Holder, and all underlings in Fast & Furious need to report to the nearest federal penitentiary immediately.

Where the hell is Congress on this crime? These GOP cowards are becoming complicit, themselves, in allowing the Indonesian Dog-Eater and his junta to skate free on their criminal attack on our 2nd amendment by forcing gun dealers to make sales to straw purchasers for the Mexican drug gangs in order to spur violence in order to claim a crisis in order to issue gun bans like they are trying to do – totally un-Constitutionally – right now.

This is all so pathetic. Time for a national divorce and to issue arrest warrants for any of these criminals if they ever so much as step foot in the new Constitutional Union of American States.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 16, 2013 at 1:34 PM

It’s amazing that a Federal database for guns will be great but, E-Verify is impossible to use and, full of errors.

Jeff2161 on January 16, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Will Congress and the Administration be exempt from these rules..? Will their security be exempt from these rules..?

d1carter on January 16, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Hot Air from Pres. Hot Air.

The punk ass con man sits his uninvited ass down in a poker room with some real players.

He plays a few hands gets away with a bluff and then thinks,,, that works ….
So, he draws a pair of 4′s, asks for 3 cards gets a 5, 10, and a 3.

He thinks,, hell I’ll bluff,,, “I will do EO’s and control the guns of the U.S.A. without the congress.” Is his bet.

The players, many of the Vets from WWI, Korea, Nam, Iraq, Afganistain, look at their hands, one of them a player from the NRA sits looking at a stright flush.

Looks like the stright flush made Obama see the light.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 16, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Tc0061 on January 16, 2013 at 1:29 PM

At this stage of thie tryrant’s regime, do you really think that ANYONE has the guts to even conduct such a study , let alone publish the results?

burrata on January 16, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 16, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Why are doctors even allowed to ask kids the question?

Schadenfreude on January 16, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Schadenfreude on January 16, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Said they were WAY more dangerous to a kids health.
Every day emergency for her.

Jabberwock on January 16, 2013 at 1:20 PM

My doctor-and her predecessor who moved to NM-is pro-second amendment. I know this because when I had my first appointment with her, I mentioned how I was considering buying a handgun. She grinned and thanked me for reminding her to apply for a CHL.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 16, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Then, I will tell you how he’ll state it:

“You don’t have any guns at your house, do you. Good.”

kingsjester on January 16, 2013 at 1:29 PM

And when it turns out someone did have guns at their house and something bad happens, the trial lawyers will have a field day. The cost of practicing medicine just went up yet again.

Doughboy on January 16, 2013 at 1:36 PM

turfmann on January 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Message from Anonymous

petefrt on January 16, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Require criminal background checks for all gun sales

According to the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms, 93% of all firearms used in criminal acts are obtained illegally, ie, on the street, through theft, etc. Thus, even if we had universal background checks, it would only affect 7% of the guns used in the commission of criminal acts.

According to the 1997 Survey of State Prison Inmates, among those possessing a gun, the source of the gun was from:

* a flea market or gun show for fewer than 2%

* a retail store or pawnshop for about 12%

* family, friends, a street buy, or an illegal source for 80%

In other words, criminals don’t get their guns from gun shows.

Per the FBI:

“Offenders armed with handguns committed one in every eight violent crimes–rape, robbery and assault–measured by BJS’s National Crime Victimization Survey. The other violent crime victims were attacked or threatened by offenders who were either unarmed or were armed with such weapons as rocks, sticks, knives or other types of firearms. The most common violent crime, simple assault, by definition does not involve the use of a weapon.”

So, going after firearms only goes after 12.5% of the violent offences.

Only 2% of prison inmates used a military-style semiautomatic gun.

“According to the latest available data, those who use guns in violent crimes rarely purchase them directly from licensed dealers; most guns used in crime have been stolen or transferred
between individuals after the original purchase.”

If a criminal is going to commit a crime, he is not going to obey a law which subjects him to a criminal background check.

Universal background checks are just another way in which the government can monitor the activities of law-abiding citizens.

Resist We Much on January 16, 2013 at 1:36 PM

in front of the media rubio calls it “misplaced” behind closed doors marco gives obama a bear hug…..thank you president obama, now my kids are safe at school.

renalin on January 16, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I have a few follow up questions for the Obama-prop 8 yr. olds: Do you know what the 2nd Amendment is and why the Founding Fathers included it in the Bill of Rights?

Do you think your Mom should have had the right to have you killed before you were born? Or if you survived the abortion, should it have been legal for the doctor to just let you die? Because Mr. Nice Guy Constitutional Scholar Won’t-Someone-Please-Think-of-the-Children President not only thinks that your moms had a right to abortion, but the right to a dead baby, and he thinks that if they couldn’t have afforded to kill you that people who oppose abortion should have had to pay for it.

eMatters on January 16, 2013 at 1:37 PM

One of the things on the list is a new ATF boss.

Any one know yet if this new one has any connection to the Fast and Furious operation and or the on going cover up?

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 16, 2013 at 1:37 PM

-Do you have guns in your house, Mr. Bishop?

“No doctor, they are all mounted on tripods in the yard and connected to motion sensors.”

Say it with a straight face.

Bishop on January 16, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Jeff2161 on January 16, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Fun fact:

0bama failed E-Verify.

Rebar on January 16, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Tc0061 on January 16, 2013 at 1:29 PM

burrata on January 16, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Little bitty fix, but good question and absolutely correct answer.

I put the likelihood of that study being published just above that of the “bad seed theory” ever seeing the light of day.

MelonCollie on January 16, 2013 at 1:39 PM

JesseRodriguez tweeted:
JesseRodriguez
Missouri state legislator files legislation in attempt to nullify federal law restricting semiautomatic guns and accessories

51 mins ago from twitter.com by editor

canopfor on January 16, 2013 at 1:39 PM

renalin on January 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM

WTH are you talking about?

changer1701 on January 16, 2013 at 1:40 PM

We are an occupied nation, under enemy control – we are not free.
Pork-Chop on January 16, 2013 at 1:19 PM

d1carter on January 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM

He’s not a president, he is a traitor and a criminal.
And he must be stopped.
turfmann on January 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Yawn.
For those who don’t see radical end-days tyranny looming in every passing cloud, this just isn’t much of a big deal.
Obama didn’t propose anything here that most folks don’t see as something at least worth considering. (Not most folks here…but most folks.)
Assault weapons ban will be the toughest to get through…but not impossible. The rest of it is pretty much a given for the foreseeable future.

verbaluce on January 16, 2013 at 1:40 PM

“yes we can”

sesquipedalian on January 16, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Let me ask a serious question.

Is there anyone on this thread who has not, in the past four years, seriously mulled the idea of turning in his passport, renouncing his American citizenship, and moving to another nation, if such did exist, where the lamp of liberty has not gone out?

JoseQuinones on January 16, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Don’t get too worked up. These EOs are big nothing-burgers.

p0s3r on January 16, 2013 at 1:41 PM

ATTACK WAAAAATCHHH!! Part Three!

LoganSix on January 16, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Schadenfreude on January 16, 2013 at 1:41 PM

petefrt on January 16, 2013 at 1:21 PM

One advantage of the iPad not allowing Flash, I can’t see the video so it doesn’t autoplay.

AZfederalist on January 16, 2013 at 1:41 PM