Bonkers: Tragic story of Notre Dame linebacker’s dead girlfriend appears to be … a giant hoax; Update: Te’o issues statement

posted at 5:10 pm on January 16, 2013 by Allahpundit

Normally I’d stick a non-political link in Headlines or the Greenroom but odds are good that this is the most gripping, mind-bending post you’ll read on the Internet this year. You don’t have to know or like college football to follow it. If it were a movie, it’d be “Vertigo,” not “Rudy.”

I’m not even going to excerpt it. Just read it, and pay attention to the timeline of Te’o’s relationship with “Kekua” near the beginning. There’s no way he wasn’t in on it, right? Who else could the details of the relationship have come from? If they didn’t really meet after a game at Stanford, why didn’t Te’o correct the media reports? No one’s this gullible.

Update: Assuming the timestamp here is accurate, the gears were turning online more than a month ago at least. No national reporters got tipped about this before now? Even though Te’o was a star and Notre Dame — Notre Dame — was ranked number one?

Update: Here’s more from the South Bend Tribune article in October mentioned by Deadspin:

Kekua, who eventually graduated from Stanford, was, in fact, doing so well that she was released from the hospital on Sept. 10. And Brian Te’o was among those congratulating her via telephone.

Less than 48 hours later, at 4 a.m. Hawaii time, Kekua sent a text to Brian and Ottilia, expressing her condolences over the passing of Ottilia’s mom, Annette Santiago, just hours before.

Brian awakened three hours later, saw the text, and sent one back. There was no response. A couple of hours later, Manti called his parents, his heart in pieces.

Lennay Kekua had died.

Three possibilities: Te’o duped his father too; Te’o’s father was also in on it; Te’o himself was somehow duped — for three years.

Update: The only way this story could get more surreal is if this statement from Notre Dame is true:

On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Te’o and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators.

Update: So the accusation is that Te’o made up a story about a dead girlfriend to generate sympathy and interest and the defense is that he was actually the victim of a vicious years-long Internet hoax, thereby generating … sympathy and interest?

Update: Here’s a way for Google wizards to test Te’o’s credibility. When was the very first mention of his relationship with Kekua? They allegedly met after a game in 2009, although it’s not clear that that info came from Te’o himself; it’s hard for me to believe that he’d run a scam for three whole years with an eye to a heartbreaking, tragic death just months before his big senior Hesiman push. If he really was in on it and made up the whole thing for sympathy, it’s more likely that he only first started talking about in 2012. If he was talking about it even before then, back in, say, 2010, then maybe he … really was duped? Really?

Update: C’mon.

“This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her.

“To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone’s sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating.

“It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother’s death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life.

“I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been.

“In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was.

“Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I’m looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft.”

Remember, according to Te’o’s own father, “Kekua” visited him in Hawaii. Go listen to this interview with Te’o himself and you’ll hear him talking about chatting with “Kekua” on the phone. Either he’s in on it or the guy whom Deadspin names as the likely hoaxer had a woman accomplice — for weeks or months or years — which makes this even less likely.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

EXACTLY!

It makes perfect sense.

Btw, people who first meet online often even make up stories to tell others when asked where they met.

I saw Manti in the interviews talking about this girl, and there is zero question in my mind he believed she was real. This is obviously very embarrassing for him, and I really feel for the guy.

bluegill on January 16, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I have a bridge and beach front property to sell you in Arizona.

Raquel Pinkbullet on January 16, 2013 at 9:11 PM

And he just so happened to be duped about the time he was in contention for the Heisman. Interesting.
terryannonline on January 16, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Online imposter hoaxes like this happen every day. This guy just happened to be a celebrity who shared his private life with the public, and that’s why we’re hearing about it. I can understand your skepticism, but just don’t forget that college football players are just are susceptible to these things as anyone else.

bluegill on January 16, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Maybe I can create a fake GF profile, hoax him into marrying me without seeing me, then I will divorce him after he makes a big check in the NFL…entirely possible considering how gullible SOME IDIOTS here believe he is…

Raquel Pinkbullet on January 16, 2013 at 9:14 PM

bluegill on January 16, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Lol. You are such an idiot. How anyone can continue to believe Teo was just a victim in this is mind boggling.

Then again you are the one that assured us “Romney was the best thing since sliced bread” so your judgement has always been questionable.

Raquel Pinkbullet on January 16, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Nice try, but the conspirator was Manti Teo’s best friend! And did you listen to the interview he had with Jim Rome where he said he called her in the hospital, and that the doctors told him she couldn’t sleep and had to speak to him to sleep, and that they met after the Stanford game. Give me a break he was in on it 100%.
Raquel Pinkbullet on January 16, 2013 at 9:10 PM

You are fudging the facts. They knew each other, they weren’t best friends. And that just shows that the imposter knew what to say to Teo to make him interested and to push his buttons.

Also, if you had read the whole Deadspin piece, you would know that the lady in the picture was contacted and asked to send a picture of herself holding up a sign. That right there tells me Teo did NOT know and that the imposter wanted an additional picture of the woman to make the thing seem more believable. The new picture was sent to Teo and never made public.

bluegill on January 16, 2013 at 9:17 PM

EXACTLY!

It makes perfect sense.

bluegill on January 16, 2013 at 9:05 PM

That’s about where I stand right now. The actual death of his grandmother, about which he was no doubt grieving, is now forever linked to this bizarre story. Pain and humiliation and… I don’t know. I just feel for the guy.

vitocorleone99 on January 16, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Lol. You are such an idiot.
Raquel Pinkbullet on January 16, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I guess age does not equal maturity. Name-calling just shows how weak your arguments are.

bluegill on January 16, 2013 at 9:19 PM

It’s highly unlikely he wasn’t in on it. Getting a private investigator is like Obama hiring someone to investigate gun running.

The Notorious G.O.P on January 16, 2013 at 9:20 PM

bluegill on January 16, 2013 at 9:19 PM

The Notorious G.O.P on January 16, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I cant believe anyone could be this stupid to fall for that kind of trick.. Manti is clearly in on it and Swardrick lies very well, must be why he’s a lawyer.. http://articles.southbendtribune.com/2012-10-12/sports/34419536_1_brian-and-ottilia-manti-te-o-irish-head-coach

AND LISTEN TO this radio interview too.

Give me a break, anyone with a half brain can see he is on it.

And btw bluegill, I’m in my mid 20s and was a BIG fan of Teo, and was hesitant to believe he was in on it, and kept trying to examine the evidence to try and spin it to make him a victim.

Raquel Pinkbullet on January 16, 2013 at 9:26 PM

That guy on Catfish solves all of these internet girlfriend scams with one simple Google image search. Manti Te’o…Come on Man!

Raquel Pinkbullet on January 16, 2013 at 9:28 PM

We all have our skepticism, I suppose. I find it amusing that we’re all willing to buy the, “Oh gee, I just took a picture holding a sign for that fake Twitter profile because some guy told me to” line from the girl who says that her picture was surreptitiously used. She’s above all doubt and the fact that someone else involved tried to contact the MTV show Catfish isn’t suspicious, but Te’o is clearly guilty.

It’ll play out soon enough. Knee-jerk reactions aren’t my cup of tea though, so I’ll wait and see.

vitocorleone99 on January 16, 2013 at 9:29 PM

bluegill on January 16, 2013 at 9:12 PM

If that’s true then why did Teo keep lying about it after he knew he was fooled? If you believe the timeline presented by Teo and Notre Dame, he found out on December 26, 12 days before the BCS game. Before that game, he was asked about his dead girlfriend and he looked in the camera and lied about how much she meant to him and how much of a motivation it was for him.

To say that Teo and Notre Dame’s explanation strains credulity is an understatement.

Captain Kirock on January 16, 2013 at 9:31 PM

vitocorleone99 on January 16, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Maybe she is it on it. But doesn’t change the fact his story doesn’t add up.

terryannonline on January 16, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on January 16, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I agree. I am a regular listener to Jim Rome’s radio show and I could be wrong here but I remember when Rome had Teo on in early October, 2012 and I could of sworn Teo talked about the last time he had seen his deceased girlfriend.

I could be be wrong, but I will definitely be listening to Rome’s show tomorrow morning.

Captain Kirock on January 16, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Captain Kirock on January 16, 2013 at 9:31 PM

From this ESPN article – http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8851033/story-manti-teo-girlfriend-death-apparently-hoax

“He was asked again about his girlfriend on Jan. 3 prior to the BCS title game, saying: “This team is very special to me, and the guys on it have always been there for me, through the good times and the bad times. I rarely have a quiet time to myself because I always have somebody calling me, asking, ‘Do you want to go to the movies?’ Coach is always calling me asking me, ‘Are you OK? Do you need anything?’”

I don’t know if he decided to drop the lies and then restart them before the game, if you’re in fact correct, but that would be interesting.

Then there’s this one, at the end of the article, which is just bizarre.

“Reagan Mauia, an Arizona Cardinals fullback, said he believes Kekua existed because he met her in person when he and other Polynesian teammates and Pittsburgh Steelers star Troy Polamalu went to do charity work in American Samoa in June 2011.

“This was before her and Manti,” Mauia said Wednesday evening. “I don’t think Manti was even in the picture, but she and I became good friends. We would talk off and on, just checking up on each other kind of thing. I am close to her family. When she was going through the loss of her father, I was — I offered a comforting shoulder and just someone to bounce her emotions off. That was just from meeting her in Samoa.”

Mauia said Tuiasosopo — whom Mauia believes is Kekua’s cousin — introduced the two. After the initial meeting, Mauia said he met her at an “after-party” for all of the athletes involved in the camp.

“She was tall,” he said. “Volleyball-type of physique. She was athletic, tall, beautiful. Long hair. Polynesian. She looked like a model … ”

He said it is his understanding that Kekua’s mother is operating her Twitter account. He said he’d never met her mother. When told by a reporter that she apparently might not have existed, Mauia said “No, she is real.”

vitocorleone99 on January 16, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Captain Kirock on January 16, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I don’t know how everything went down. Let’s see what comes out.

I just find it astonishing that many of you can’t understand how easy and common it is for someone to be duped in this way. You create an image in your mind of what you think the person is like. And if you are communicating with them on a daily basis, they become an important of your life. They are as real to you as anyone you know in real life, but maybe you feel even closer to them because you feel like you can share really intimate details. It is kind of like getting a crush on a penpal.

bluegill on January 16, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I just find it astonishing that many of you can’t understand how easy and common it is for someone to be duped in this way. bluegill on January 16, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Well, that’s probably because most of us have brains in our heads and understand the basic fact that not everything you see on the internet or in a text message is true. I don’t mean to be snarky, but I just don’t believe Teo was not in on it.

Either Teo was in on this or he is the stupidest person on the planet. Quite a conundrum for a soon to be college graduate.

Captain Kirock on January 16, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Considering the number of otherwise intelligent people who have come to believe:

1: That raising the capital gains tax is just common sense and will have no effect on the economy

2: That the ability to print money means we don’t have to worry about the debt

3: That we can afford current Social Security and Medicare benefits by raising taxes on just the rich

I wouldn’t be so sure about dismissing Teo’s claim that he was tricked. When people want to believe something it’s very hard to get them to realize it’s a lie. We tend to believe the thing we want to believe.

Sackett on January 16, 2013 at 11:03 PM

An account currently suspended tweeted that the Manti Te’o – Lennay Kekua story was a hoax — in December

AND

Yikes, ESPN reporter says he noticed their was no obit or record of Te’o’s gf, but backed off when Te’o told him to. http://deadsp.in/Mmxrhfi

Raquel Pinkbullet on January 16, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Lying about p*ssy is one thing. Lying about dead p*ssy quite another, especially when the Heismann trophy selection process/voting has been chickified with the need to tell and write about so many feel-good stories about the candidates for it. If you saw the Heismann presentation this year, they even had to “humanize” the winner, Johnny “Football” by showing his wearing of the “Charlie’s Angels” bracelet honoring Charlie, the poor kid fighting cancer.

No problem with that, but what does that have to do with football excellence on the field?

It’s a vote-getting technique, it is what it is, and why, even today, Obama had all those kids surrounding him while he presented his assault on the Second Amendment.

TXUS on January 16, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Looks like the imposter did the same thing to another football player before Teo:

And look who introduced Mauia to “Kekua”.

Damage control, reporter trying to cover his ass.

bluegill on January 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM

And look who introduced Mauia to “Kekua”.

Damage control, reporter trying to cover his ass.

bluegill on January 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM

OJ was framed! /sarc

sharrukin on January 16, 2013 at 11:44 PM

JOHNNY HEISMAN

A&M rolled the Tide.

The end.

txag92 on January 17, 2013 at 1:31 AM

bluegill on January 16, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I got duped like this once… and it went on for a year.
She finally confessed because she felt so guilty it finally got the better of her.

One of the sh*ttiest things ever done to me in my life. Damn near killed me.

cane_loader on January 17, 2013 at 2:03 AM

I got duped like this once… and it went on for a year.
One of the sh*ttiest things ever done to me in my life. Damn near killed me.
cane_loader on January 17, 2013 at 2:03 AM

I totally feel for you and understand completely. Here is what I would recommend in situations where you are meeting someone over the Internet: First, check out their Facebook. Does it look legit? How about their friends list? Are they in any school or employer networks? In order to get into that kind of network, you need to have an official school or workplace email address. In most cases, I would say that would be enough. If you need more verification, or if they claim to not have Facebook, then try Skype or FaceTime or some other kind of video chat. As an alternative, you could even have them send you pictures verifying who they are, maybe with them posing next to something or holding up some kind of sign. Nearly everyone has a smartphone these days, and a request like that shouldn’t be seen as asking too much. Finally, you can also check their name in a public records online search. Use a free service like intellius.com. Often that will give the age and address history. All of this should be done before moving forward with any kind of relationship whatsoever.

bluegill on January 17, 2013 at 2:54 AM

So the girlfriend in this story is imaginary…. What do you bet she voted for Obama? Imaginary-Americans are one of his strongest constituencies.

alchemist19 on January 17, 2013 at 6:13 AM

Is he gay? …Not that there’s anything wrong with that..

Indian Outlaw on January 17, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Go on Oprah. Cry for her dingbat audience. All will be forgiven.

It’s the American way in Obama’s America.

MNHawk on January 17, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Brent Musburger says, “Play for Alabama, and you can have a hot girlfriend! Play for Notre Dame, and you can have an imaginary girlfriend!”

Sorry. I just heard that on sports radio this morning and thought it was too funny not to share.

JimLennon on January 17, 2013 at 9:49 AM

The Lennay Kekua account tweeted yesterday

L K ‏@LennayKay

It isn’t fair to drag Reagan and Troy into this.. a lot of truths and myths need to be addressed here, and they will be at noon PST tomorrow

byepartisan on January 17, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Dude if you are going to have a beard it’s more effective if she’s a real live girl.

bannor on January 17, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Oh, those Samoans. What a sense of humor they have. Just like all the sports writers that thought ND was #1 material and Manti should be nominated for the Heisman, being the other hoax in this picture.

Kissmygrits on January 17, 2013 at 9:55 AM

An Undocumented Human.

Well -

She got sick because of Global Warming.
She would have gotten well with Obamacare.
She’ll become real with amnesty.

TimBuk3 on January 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM

This story has an odd ring of truth to it for me – I mean, everyone knows how tough it is for a projected 1st-round NFL draft pick to get a date at a place like Notre Dame.

Knott Buyinit on January 17, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Okay – I think that we’ve had about enough UPDATES about this Te’o goober and his non-existent woman.

Pork-Chop on January 17, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I am so disappointed that it seems no one got my Niagara Falls reference. :(

Still love The Breakfast Club after all these years. :)

kutabeach on January 17, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Pork-Chop on January 17, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I don’t. I am interested and want more updates!

bluegill on January 17, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Knott Buyinit on January 17, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Meeting someone online does not mean that you can’t get dates in real life. Get with the times.

bluegill on January 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Here’s what we’ll come to find out eventually.

1) Te’o is gay
2) His “pal” is actually his boyfriend
3) They decided to enlist a female to trick the parents and others they were introduced to.
4) When his stardom began to get bigger he thought he had to end the story because he wouldn’t be accepted if people knew he was gay.
5) Lies start showing up in media
6) Plays victim card
7) Will end up a laughingstock even more so than he is right now

TheAudacityofNOPE on January 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM

What incredible BS Notre Dame and Te’o are spinning. of course, confusing a Notre Dame football player with a college student is a little like being unable to distinguish the difference between a Cro-Magnon man and a theoretical physicist. Nevertheless even a dim-witted football player should realize that if you kissed a girl that “never existed” you’ve got some further explaining to doeven to a dumbed down public which re-elected Obama.

Maybe Notre Dame is using Te’o’s “mortification” sat being “duped” as an excuse why the Irish got skinned alive by Alabama.

MaiDee on January 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM

My guess: Te’o is Gay-o.

steebo77 on January 17, 2013 at 11:02 AM

7) Will end up a laughingstock even more so than he is right now

TheAudacityofNOPE on January 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM

You are a piece of garbage.

Jeffster on January 17, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Here’s what we’ll come to find out eventually.

7) Will end up a laughingstock even more so than he is right now

TheAudacityofNOPE on January 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Here, let me tone this response WAY down for you.
I disagree with you.

Jeffster on January 17, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I believe Te’o and obama’o both went to same high school in Hawaii, and you know obama’o had some weird girl friend referenced in his book that he ultimately admitted was a composite, maybe thats part of the curriculum at Panuhuo HS

doublee on January 17, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I can’t even comprehend how someone would make that story up.

A murder suspect lying on the witness stand.. I can understand. Lance Armstrong.. yeah, I get it. He’s a cheater and an a^^hole. But This is a whole new level of lying.

Opinionnation on January 17, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Te’o lied..This was a marketing ploy..imho..:(

Dire Straits on January 17, 2013 at 11:44 AM

This sounds an awful lot like the Seinfeld episode about Susie…

Galtian on January 17, 2013 at 12:47 PM

…2 year relationship online?…the cypher sex must have been unbelievable!/

KOOLAID2 on January 17, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Are we tired of lying Hawaiians, yet? I guess this is how you get ahead there, like Obama did.

djaymick on January 17, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Quick money maker for an artistic entrepreneur – Lying Hawaiians. You can put both Obama and Tao’s images on a shirt, banner, etc.

djaymick on January 17, 2013 at 1:35 PM

The women at ND are so ugly that T’eo had to imagine a hot girlfriend.

CycloneCDB on January 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Composite girlfriend. Julia’s ugly big sister.

Buttercup on January 17, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I don’t think the fact that he’s only talking about phone calls makes him look less suspicious. He’s saying he called her at the hospital — what, did they have a bunch of nurses on standby at a nearby hospital ready to patch anyone asking for “Lennay Kukua” through to an outside line, where a person determined to hoax Te’o stood ready to breathe quickly with a bunch of other fake actors (brother, nurse, etc.) in the background? And also, now there’s a fake brother that he was in contact with, in addition to the fake sister?

There isn’t enough benefit of the doubt in the world to justify thinking this guy wasn’t in on it

Raquel Pinkbullet on January 17, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Read this tweet and go to bed tonight with a smile on your face. Unless you’re T’eo, of course…

Myron Falwell on January 17, 2013 at 9:55 PM

The guy is homosexual. He does not have the courage to be gay because he feels that it will hurt his NFL prospects and income. He uses this story as his “beard”, just as Obama uses Michelle.

He and Obama should both be truthful, it cleanses the soul.

joe btfsplk on January 18, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Hey, makes sense.

Te’O has imaginary girlfriend.

Country has imaginary leadership.

Welcome to America, circa 2013.

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on January 18, 2013 at 1:01 PM

It has bee one lie after another by this jerk Te`o and yet the press and ND keep saying he was a victim of a cruel hoax. Spare us all the B—Sh– and call it like it is. His hype was all sympathy and based on the Alabama game he is no 1st round pick at all

HAGGS99 on January 18, 2013 at 6:04 PM