Are you ready for Congressman Mark Sanford?

posted at 10:36 am on January 16, 2013 by Allahpundit

He’s been thinking about some sort of political comeback since mid-2011 at least, which is no surprise from a guy who first ran for Congress in his early 30s. In fairness, he’s always been extremely good on government spending, something Washington needs now more than ever.

Anyone know of any other Congress-eligible Republicans in South Carolina who are extremely good on spending? Between DeMint and Tim Scott, I’m thinking … pretty much all of them are. Oh well:

Geraghty: How long have you been thinking about a return to politics?

Sanford: This came out of the blue, for all the obvious reasons. I thought my time in politics was over. That was a chapter of life, and I had moved on.

I’m not saying it was God-ordained or anything like that, but a series of rather miraculous events have coincided here, that did not escape the attention of the friends who were urging me to look at this.

Senators retire once every thousand years, and the governor appoints, lo and behold, the guy who held the seat and district that I used to represent years ago in Congress. Then the phone lines light up, and you start getting e-mails. That’s sort of normal if you’ve once been in one spot, but the duration and intensity is unusual.

I was coming out of my building I live in, and an old-timer stops me and grabs me, and says, “Mark, you’ve got to do that. You were a good congressman. You’ve got to run for Congress.” Then that night, I was going for a run, running through the streets of downtown Charleston at night, and somebody starts flashing his [car headlights] at me. I have no idea who it is, and then I see it’s a local city-council guy and he’s telling me, saying, “Mark, you gotta do this.” It became absurd. You have to listen.

He’s announcing his candidacy today. My memory of his demise as governor isn’t the affair itself but his bizarre willingness to ramble about it in interviews in the most effusive terms. Somehow he turned something that’s unfortunately almost mundane among politicians into a circus, even more so than worse offenders like David Vitter who decided to shut up about his failings after the obligatory press conference. The state House of Representatives ended up censuring him on an overwhelmingly bipartisan vote, mainly I think out of embarrassment. The question, I guess, is whether after all that Sanford will ever be taken fully seriously again as a legislator or if he’s doomed to “hiking the Appalachian Trail” jokes unto eternity. You tell me. One of the reddest states in the union doesn’t have any young political talent that can do better in this role?

According to one local Republican consultant, he’s the “clear favorite” in the election. Again, oh well.

Comments

If an impeached judge, Alcee Hastings, can become an “esteeemed” member of Congress, then why not an adulterer?

Tater Salad on January 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM

He’s no bigger joke than Senator Al Franken.

Paul-Cincy on January 16, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Gerry Studds says “yes”.

Wanderlust on January 16, 2013 at 10:40 AM

canopfor on January 16, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Well,looking on the brightside,
at least he didn’t tweetpic his package!!!

canopfor on January 16, 2013 at 10:43 AM

At least he would vote the right way. I think.

22044 on January 16, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Do you think Hastings should be a member of Congress?

Allahpundit on January 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM

So the supposed HA readers love someone like Paul Ryan, but won’t support a guy who actually walks the walks when it comes to his fiscal conservatism.

Notorious GOP on January 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM

…if you are a Democrat…you can rape children…eat dogs…rob old people on camera, etc and be re-elected…so why not?

KOOLAID2 on January 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Do you think Hastings should be a member of Congress?

Allahpundit on January 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM

…he should be an unwilling employee of a gay brothel somewhere in Asia!

KOOLAID2 on January 16, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Good Lord, how recent is that picture? He looks like hell.

Red Cloud on January 16, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Notorious GOP on January 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Ryan didn’t cheat on his wife. I have an issue with adulterer’s/adulteresses.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 16, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Is that what I said, that Sanford’s objectionable because he “walks the walk” on fiscal conservatism? You can’t find another Republican in SC, of all places, who also walks the walk?

Allahpundit on January 16, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Do you think Hastings should be a member of Congress?

Allahpundit on January 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM

sorry Allah, morals and conscience are passe’ now, but you know that. I’ll vote for anybody that says they’ll cut spending. After what the cabal of NE repub and a few safe outlyers in the house passed for Sandy aid there is no morals left in the party. 55% pork, nice work Boehner.

DanMan on January 16, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I don’t have a problem with his affair .
Let’s just hope he has the common sense to not make comments about rape.

NeoKong on January 16, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Allahpundit on January 16, 2013 at 10:48 AM

you found any conservatives in office in New York yet?

DanMan on January 16, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Allahpundit on January 16, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Yeah, but Sanford not only “walks the walk”, he “hikes the hike.”

TXUS on January 16, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Every Republican in South Carolina says that.

Allahpundit on January 16, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I’m all for it. If the Left can lionize cretinous scum like Ted Kennedy, then guys like Mark Sanford get should get a pass. It’s time we stopped throwing our people over board.

You realize that New Yorkers could soon become accustomed to using the phrase “The Honorable Anthony Weiner”

So yeah, I’ve got no problem with Mark Sanford.

SAMinVA on January 16, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Two things:

isnt his ex-wife going to run against him? if so, as what a Republican in the primary or a Democrat in the General election?

What happend to the other woman in Argentina?

ChunkyLover on January 16, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Sure, why not.

Good Lt on January 16, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Notorious GOP on January 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM

The guy basically skipped out on his job to go visit his mistress in Argentina. Generally people who do this get fired from their jobs. He is also such a fiscal conservative that he used government resources to conduct his affair.

And Ryan doesn’t have a cheating on his wife problem.

Illinidiva on January 16, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I like strong moral fiber in representatives. Its not like we have an overwhelming supply of that now.

Bmore on January 16, 2013 at 10:57 AM

They also have Lindsey Graham. Enough said.

I actually have less problems with the infidelity (plenty of examples of that within the House and Senate chambers of that) than the way he abandoned his duties to pursue it. It shows a certain amount of flakiness that the Senate doesn’t need.

Happy Nomad on January 16, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Yeah, this too.

Allahpundit on January 16, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Generally people who do this get fired from their jobs

Not if they’re the boss.

And Ryan doesn’t have a cheating on his wife problem.

Illinidiva on January 16, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I’d be fine with either.

Good Lt on January 16, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Yes. It really is the flakiness that makes his candidacy questionable, not the affair.

Allahpundit on January 16, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Allahpundit on January 16, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I wasn’t referring to you, but the rest of HA nation. But since you responded, I think we already know what we’re getting with this guy. Who else is there that has that kind of fiscal reputation?

Notorious GOP on January 16, 2013 at 11:01 AM

And Ryan doesn’t have a cheating on his wife problem.

Illinidiva on January 16, 2013 at 10:56 AM

So you’re more upset he banged another woman than Paul Ryan voting for TARP, bailouts, etc?

Notorious GOP on January 16, 2013 at 11:02 AM

KOOLAID2 on January 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Whew. Fighting fire with fire in a smoke filled room. I gotta say a “hiking the Appalachian Trail” joke is a great ice breaker to a “soaking in the Chappaquiddick” memory jar.
In fact Sanford’s whole lifetime list of sins wouldn’t qualify him for a weekend at Ted’s. So if he’s ready to grow a pair and tell more than a few Clintonista reporters to shove it, I’m ready for the comeback.

onomo on January 16, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Allah, you are on this thread a good bit. It must bother you. Thinking of moving to SC? Or is it that the R’s are willing to adopt the tried and true Dim approach?

Bmore on January 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM

************** INTEGRITY **************************

canopfor on January 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Run Mark! Run!

If John Boehner can be a Congressman – so can Mark Sanford.

HondaV65 on January 16, 2013 at 11:05 AM

So,what happens if Sanford,gets his job back,
and lets his little brain,do the thinking
again,and has the urge to go to South America!!

Jus say’n!!!

canopfor on January 16, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Allahpundit on January 16, 2013 at 11:01 AM

And his bad poetry that does violence to the English language.

Good Lt on January 16, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Jesus Christ people – lighten up.

How many “flakes” were among the founding fathers? Well, I know Samuel Adams was one, I think Thomas Paine was a bit of a “flake” and I can think of NUMEROUS examples of “flakes” who were elected to Congress in the early days. They were flakes, and they were GREAT men at the same time. Great men are not perfect – great men are just willing to do the heavy lifting to build and fix things – which is sorely lacking in this nation right now and especially the Republican party.

You guys keep bitshing about “smooth talking liars” being the only ones who run for public office. You always want “real” people – and then when those people demonstrate to you that they are REAL – you suddently go … “Oh WTF!! Bad Candidate! Bad Candidate!!”

Stick to guys like Mitch McConnell and John Boehner then. Those two don’t make mistakes and never display flakiness – then again, they don’t do a damn thing for this nation either.

HondaV65 on January 16, 2013 at 11:10 AM

*******************RED Alert *************

Reuters Top News ‏@Reuters

Al Qaeda-linked group claims to have seized 41 hostages, including 7 Americans, in raid on Algerian gas plant: Mauritanian media #BREAKING
===========

Developing…..

canopfor on January 16, 2013 at 11:12 AM

So,what happens if Sanford,gets his job back,
and lets his little brain,do the thinking
again,and has the urge to go to South America!!

Jus say’n!!!

canopfor on January 16, 2013 at 11:07 AM

…we’ll put a sign on Nancy Pelosi’s office door… declaring that IT is South America!

KOOLAID2 on January 16, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Not if they’re the boss.

People of South Carolina were his boss. This was a clearly impeachable situation. What if there was a natural disaster, terrorist attack, etc. that affected South Carolina? I’m sure that the residents were glad that their governor couldn’t be reached for an entire week because he needed to go to Buenos Aires for a booty call.

Notorious GOP on January 16, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Image matters a great deal in politics. The reason why Ryan gets away with calling for entitlement reforms is because he is a nice young family man from Wisconsin (TM). If he had any ethical problems, then granny killer image would have stuck. And yes I’m fine with some of his votes in the past because I don’t demand perfection from my favorite politicians.

Illinidiva on January 16, 2013 at 11:16 AM

If we insist that our candidates are perfect, we will never hold office again.
Can Sanford be a loyal soldier in the Conservative cause?
Probably
Is he always going to strike me as a bit creepy and weird?
Probably

LincolntheHun on January 16, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I seriously doubt that he will be nominated. There’s going to be a big push by the media for him to get the nomination. That would set up a possible loss of the seat for the Republicans. I can’t imagine that Haley would be stupid enough to endorse this fool. Whatever the “Tea Party” is will try to find somebody else to rally behind.

35tww on January 16, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Al Qaeda-linked group claims to have seized 41 hostages, including 7 Americans…

Okay, this will do nicely to replace the 30 or so people we have yet hear from in Benghazi that the three men gave their lives for.

Expect negotiations for the Blind Sheik to commence in a few weeks.

DanMan on January 16, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Notorious GOP on January 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM

If you can’t be faithful and honest to the one person you promised to be faithful and honest to, how could you trust him to be faithful to conservatism?

Liar and self destructive loser. Case Closed.

portlandon on January 16, 2013 at 11:20 AM

As a congressman, he will be able to travel a lot more, and meet a lot more women.

paulsur on January 16, 2013 at 11:21 AM

HondaV65 on January 16, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Let me get this straight. You’re suggesting that fidelity in one’s marriage isn’t important? You’re suggesting that there is nothing wrong with a sitting governor literally disappearing without even his staff knowing where he went?

We should all just forget about that “Appalachian Trail” thing and just listen to what Sanford says now? Sorry, the dude’s got a history and it isn’t good. Sarah Palin is excoriated for having had to quit her job as governor because the legal battles from the left attacking her were going to bankrupt her family. Yet you give this dawg a pass for leaving his family and responsibilities behind?

I guess we have different standards.

Happy Nomad on January 16, 2013 at 11:29 AM

paulsur on January 16, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Why can’t he do it the old fashioned way? Tweeting his private parts to strange (as in unknown) women.

Happy Nomad on January 16, 2013 at 11:32 AM

After all, what good are standards?

Bmore on January 16, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Do you think Hastings should be a member of Congress?

Allahpundit on January 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I don’t.

But his constituents disagree.

Hastings is a full-on advocate for the Left. If Sanford will be a full-on advocate for the Right, we could do much worse…

JohnGalt23 on January 16, 2013 at 11:38 AM

portlandon on January 16, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Don’t suppose you supported Newt Gingrich for POTUS, did you?

JohnGalt23 on January 16, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Happy Nomad on January 16, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Palin just rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, with her voice and all that. Quitting her job was just the rational excuse for it.

MetaThought on January 16, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Happy Nomad on January 16, 2013 at 11:29 AM

If HoR members did so with far more frequency, we’d probably live in a better country…

JohnGalt23 on January 16, 2013 at 11:42 AM

MetaThought on January 16, 2013 at 11:39 AM

What? You suggesting that people in the lower 48 really aren’t all concerned if Alaska’s leaders stick it out? ;0

Seriously, I don’t disagree with you. My only point was the double standard here.

Happy Nomad on January 16, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Don’t suppose you supported Newt Gingrich for POTUS, did you?

JohnGalt23 on January 16, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Rick Perry first.

Newt last.

I trusted an adulterer more than Mitt Romney.

portlandon on January 16, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Is there anyone out there who can win a primary challenge against Lindsay Graham ? How does the same state that sends Jim DeMint and Tim Scott to Washington also continue to reelect Lindsay Graham? There has to be somebody, right?

Conservative in NOVA on January 16, 2013 at 11:47 AM

My only point was the double standard here.

Happy Nomad on January 16, 2013 at 11:44 AM

No double standard. Apples and oranges, really.

Palin was considering a run for POTUS. I don’t think she’s ready, for any number of reasons. But her resignation is at the top of the list for me.

But I don’t begrudge her running for office. I’ve said many times I think she should run for Senate in 2014, possibly as a prelude to a WH run.

I’m more than willing to give Sanford the same leeway…

JohnGalt23 on January 16, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Notorious GOP on January 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM

A man who has made “mistakes” such as these should be ashamed to try and get his name out there like he has. It shows that he’s pathological, and with the vast majority of Congresscritters being pathological power-seekers, the last thing we need to do is send another one to Capitol Hill.

mintycrys on January 16, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I trusted an adulterer more than Mitt Romney.

portlandon on January 16, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Well, at least we count on you for support of Sanford over Lindsay Graham (I hope…)

JohnGalt23 on January 16, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Do you think Hastings should be a member of Congress?

Allahpundit on January 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM

No!, but I don’t vote in his district. Isn’t that question somehow related to Marion Barry…Oh I forgot that only applies the ‘D’s.

On a slightly different topic, do you have a problem with people that have a twang or drawl when they pronounce certain words?

belad on January 16, 2013 at 11:53 AM

The guy is a creep… and just because there are other creeps in Congress and the White House does not mean we need more.

You mean to tell me that of all the people South Carolina, this guy is the best they have???

That is like saying Hagel is the best guy for DOD…

georgealbert on January 16, 2013 at 11:55 AM

onomo on January 16, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Seconded. At least he’d proven to have a pair – both literally and figuratively. At this time, I’ll take that gladly, and let pompous asses like Phuckabee and Scrotorum bray about morality.

Archivarix on January 16, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I trusted an adulterer more than Mitt Romney.

portlandon on January 16, 2013 at 11:47 AM

solid post and gets to the rub

DanMan on January 16, 2013 at 11:59 AM

JohnGalt23 on January 16, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Having to decide between these two would be a soul searching process.

Glad I don’t have to make it.

portlandon on January 16, 2013 at 12:02 PM

No double standard. Apples and oranges, really.

I’m more than willing to give Sanford the same leeway…

JohnGalt23 on January 16, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Palin was damaged goods as of 2009 and probably wouldn’t have been able to run even if she had focused hardcore on policy and run for reelection. The Republicans had already moved on to newer and shinier prospects by 2010. (See Marco Rubio.) However, running for the Alaska Senate seat was definitely a possibility in 2014 if she had stuck out her term and remained popular in Alaska. However, I do think that is gone now because she quit.

As for Sanford.. I won’t even give him that benefit of the doubt. Can’t the creep just get a real job?

Illinidiva on January 16, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Illinidiva on January 16, 2013 at 12:07 PM

You mean like being the multi-millionaire from his real estate business, that he already is?

If a fiscal conservative who walks the talk is willing to run for Congress, I don’t care if he had an affair with a guy. Let him run…

JohnGalt23 on January 16, 2013 at 12:18 PM

he’s doomed to “hiking the Appalachian Trail” jokes unto eternity. You tell me.

There has to be better out there. Tell this guy to take a hike.

DrAllecon on January 16, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Tell this guy to take a hike.

DrAllecon on January 16, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Hahaha. Winner.

Ted Torgerson on January 16, 2013 at 12:47 PM

When Bill Clinton had oral sex in the Oval Office I believed that he should have resigned because character counts.He should have been impeached because he lied about it.Sanford was a good Congressman,but when he was Governor he cheated on his wife,leaving the state unattended.Character counts! He may be a good conservative,but I will never vote for him again.

redware on January 16, 2013 at 6:19 PM