New York Gov. Cuomo signs major gun-control package into law

posted at 10:11 pm on January 15, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

President Obama is slated to announce his decisions on gun-control proposals for the nation tomorrow, but New York Gov. Andrew “confiscation could be an option” Cuomo has already charged forward with new laws for his state:

New York on Tuesday became the first state to approve a comprehensive set of gun control laws in response to last month’s mass shooting at a Connecticut elementary school, amid concerns among gun owners that the spate of changes to local and state gun laws could make them targets of overzealous politicians and prosecutors.

The New York Assembly gave final approval to the bill late Tuesday afternoon — Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed it within minutes.

New York’s new laws will expand the state’s ban on assault weapons and include new measures to keep guns away from mentally disturbed individuals. Under the new law, ammunition magazines would also be restricted to seven bullets, from the current 10 — owners caught with eight or more bullets in a magazine could face a misdemeanor charge. The law also prohibits Internet sales of assault weapons and in another provision, a therapist who thinks a mental health patient is making a credible threat to use a gun illegally would be required to report the incident to the state.

Well, the New York legislature passed the measures and sent them on to Cuomo, so they at least went through the full-court channels rather than executive action, hem hem, but the whole thing does seem rather inappropriately hasty:

Governor Andrew Cuomo is trying to lead the nation in gun control, but he’s picked a peculiar way of doing it. Mr. Cuomo negotiated in secret with a few other powerful politicians on a dog’s breakfast of legislation that got no public discussion at all and was passed by state senators who had not even read it—because they were not given a chance to do so.

The resulting bill is hard to judge on the merits. It’s a snarl of good ideas, strange ideas and ideas that seem quite bad. While some items should figure into federal gun control legislation, Washington should not take New York as an example of how to go about this difficult business.

As New York state Senator Greg Ball said on the floor last night, this doesn’t seem to have quite as much to do with well-thought out, legitimate efforts to make everyone safer as it does with a 2016 Democratic contender’s strategic feel-good attempt to take a big national lead on the progressive cause du jour — high-capacity magazine bans are not effective at preventing tragedy, and they make self-defense all the harder. Powerful, via RightScoop:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Better yet, WHEN DO THEY BAN BOOBS?

Death By Boobs

Resist We Much on January 15, 2013 at 10:53 PM

0_0

Are you putting this stuff up on twitter? I have lost you in the fray of the insanity my sister has created for me over there.

JPeterman on January 15, 2013 at 11:06 PM

I may be a Texas girl now, but I still have my Chicago street smarts. No one’s gonna eff with me.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 15, 2013 at 11:03 PM

The kind of woman liberals hate. ~S~

And a pox on them all for it!

Liam on January 15, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Resist We Much on January 15, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Resist We Much:Ooooh I was hoping for a picture!:)

canopfor on January 15, 2013 at 11:00 PM

YEAH … what’s up with that?

That was a “tease” if ever there was one.

listens2glenn on January 15, 2013 at 11:08 PM

canopfor on January 15, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I don’t fear incrementalism from gun-grabbers. But they better fear me if they kick in the door for my guns.

I don’t fear going down; I have little to lose. But I’m taking at least one of them with me if I have to go.

Liam on January 15, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Liam:Amen:)

canopfor on January 15, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Come on, what did you expect. If New Yorkers can’t be trusted with a salt shaker and a 24 oz drink, you can’t expect the governor to turn them loose with a scary looking assult rifle.

Alabama Infidel on January 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I was in Mobile a couple of months ago doing some genealogical research (my father and a ton of ancestors were from there) and I saw a couple of trucks with the confederate flag plate on the front. It warmed my heart.

TxAnn56 on January 15, 2013 at 11:10 PM

canopfor on January 15, 2013 at 11:00 PM

YEAH … what’s up with that?

That was a “tease” if ever there was one.

listens2glenn on January 15, 2013 at 11:08 PM

listens2glenn:Lol:)

canopfor on January 15, 2013 at 11:10 PM

New Yorkers are welcome here in Virginia. Conservatives only, please.

22044 on January 15, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Liam on January 15, 2013 at 10:56 PM

annoyinglittletwerp
on January 15, 2013 at 11:03 PM

You’ve got me scared of you, from here … and I’m on the east coast!

listens2glenn on January 15, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Only 7 bullets instead of 10?

Yeah, this is real serious legislation.

Why don’t New York legislators respect a woman’s right to choose the best weapon and ammunition options to keep herself and her family safe?

gwelf on January 15, 2013 at 11:11 PM

As I’ve said before, this might get Little Mario closer to the 2016 nomination.

But he’s also going to almost every state south of the Mason-Dixon line because of it. This won’t fly in Virginia, North Carolina, and Florida. I’d bet a few of the western states too.

PetecminMd on January 15, 2013 at 11:12 PM

This type of knee-jerk legislation will only anger gun-loving Dem voters. GOP voters already detest Dems.

So….this is only going to anger the apolitical, blue-collar “legacy” type of Dem voters that love guns. And there are a lot of them.

It goes back to the argument that the modern Left is such a hodgepodge of factions that do not have each others interests in mind, and might fracture when pushed hard enough. For example: the Green Bigots, Teachers Unions, and Leftist Judicial Activists are squarely against the best interests of African-Americans, etc…

visions on January 15, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Liam on January 15, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I’m only going to be there over-night-but that’s the reason I’m flying in like a jet-setter. I can sleep in the airport terminal. a woman would only be @ the Greyhound station overnight if she was looking to get raped. The neighborhood the bus is in is THAT bad. While I’m going to look and sound a bit Texan, I’m no tourist. Chicago thugs don’t scare me.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 15, 2013 at 11:16 PM

New Yorkers are welcome here in Virginia. Conservatives only, please.

22044 on January 15, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Tempting. I fell in love with Virginia the one time I went to Williamsburg–the cradle of American liberty. It was almost a religious experience, walking the streets of Thomas Jefferson and dining in George Washington’s favorite restaurant.

I’m not much of a wine drinker though I believe I have some savvy with them, but I have come to believe there is nothing better than a Virginia wine.

Liam on January 15, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Only 7 bullets instead of 10?

Yeah, this is real serious legislation.

gwelf on January 15, 2013 at 11:11 PM

The Democrat War on Women continues….

visions on January 15, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Damn, what am I gonna do with all my
I heart NY T’s?

bazil9 on January 15, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Put’em on your silhouette targets. :)

Solaratov on January 15, 2013 at 11:18 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 15, 2013 at 11:16 PM

For whatever it might be worth, a strong Conservative gun-totin’ woman like you is definitely in my Cool Book.

Liam on January 15, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Only 7 bullets instead of 10?

Yeah, this is real serious legislation.

gwelf on January 15, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Standard capacity magazine for a Colt .45 M1911 is six rounds.

Everybody upgrade!

Liam on January 15, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Liam on January 15, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Well, thank you.
I’m not gun-totin’ yet. I’m hoping to have my permit in a few months(takes 60 day in TX).

annoyinglittletwerp on January 15, 2013 at 11:22 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 15, 2013 at 11:22 PM

You want a gun and now have one. If you were a guy, I’;d call you Pistol-packin’ Pete. *L*

Liam on January 15, 2013 at 11:23 PM

As for lawsuits I don’t think the NRA has standing to bring the suit. Gun dealers do. They can sue under the 2nd amendment and the taking clause of the 5th as they are now in possession of goods that have been paid for and which they can no longer recoup by sale. The haste of the legislation will butress the taking argument. Gunowners should immediately go to federal court to seek a TRO against the registrations under the shall not be infringed clause. I think seeking the TRO is most important as this was poorly and hastily drawn legislation and it should be possible to overwhelm a n unready Dept of Law in the hearing. This is where the help of the NRA can be vital. But starting now is imprative.

xkaydet65 on January 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Sad day for New Yorkers. Protect yourselves.

Bmore on January 15, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Excellent advice, Bmore.
Personally, I’m leaning toward harsh language.
What would your recommendation be, in the present situation?

RedPepper on January 15, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Standard capacity magazine for a Colt .45 M1911 is six rounds.

Everybody upgrade!

Liam on January 15, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Issue mags are 7-rounds, not 6.

There are a lot of good 8-rounders.

And Wilson and Ed Brown make fine 10-rounders.

(If you don’t live in the People’s Republic of New York SSR, of course.

Solaratov on January 15, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Obama to announce most expansive gun-control agenda in generations

Obama is expected to propose mental health and school safety initiatives such as more federal funding for police officers in schools, according to lawmakers and interest group leaders whom White House officials briefed on the plans

Wasn’t this what LaPierre proposed and was roundly critizied for the mere thought of that?

BallisticBob on January 15, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Issue mags are 7-rounds, not 6.

There are a lot of good 8-rounders.

And Wilson and Ed Brown make fine 10-rounders.

(If you don’t live in the People’s Republic of New York SSR, of course.

Solaratov on January 15, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Ah! My standard mag often causes a jam at seven. I use six in the mag and one in the chamber, for seven.

Liam on January 15, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Wait so, she shot him 6 times with a pistol. How does this law change what would have happened? Uh….

Rainsford on January 16, 2013 at 12:04 AM

You know, where is a Rand Paul or other Conservative member of Congress proposing a Federal Firearm license that will allow any US citizen, regardless of state of residence to purchase any firearm that is legal according to the Feds. So that those citizens trapped in corrupt public union sector controlled states can have some of their liberties restored. It should be a “shall issue”, and it should be easy to get, just a background check. No finger prints, no tax statement. $50, and a background check. $100 for concealed carry.
Why don’t our representatives work to expand freedoms instead of curtailing them?

Iblis on January 16, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Rainsford on January 16, 2013 at 12:04 AM

It changes it for the women who has two attackers breaking into her house threatening her and her children, but being a leftist a few raped and dead women is a small price to pay for your ideological purity.

sharrukin on January 16, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I will never, ever move to NY. With that said, as the popular saying goes, elections have consequences. New York, you’re getting exactly what you voted for. In 4 years when your violent crime has steadily increased, congratulations. Let us know how those new 2nd Amendment restrictions are working out for you.

By the way, no one in the left stream media seems to ever mention about how much LESS money was donated by the rest of the country for the Sandy victims than in prior similar disasters. I wonder why that is? One reason may be something like this, I heard the same exact statements from many different people after that happened, and they all said, if NY likes Obama and socialism so much, they can get their help from their government. They won’t get a dime from me.

If I was unfortunate enough to live in New York, I guarantee you, I’d be looking for any way possible to move elsewhere.

Meople on January 16, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Somebody call Snake Plissken! Looks like there are a lot of Upstate folks that need to…drum roll please…

ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK!

Dunedainn on January 16, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Rainsford on January 16, 2013 at 12:04 AM

The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is specically about enabling private citizens to be armed with the same weapons the Civil Authorities have.

That’s what it demands / requires for private citizens to form a militia capable of keeping our own tyranical government at bay.

Law enforcement on all levels has semi-auto civilian models of military rifles, complete with ‘military capacity’ magazines.

So should the private citizens. Period.

listens2glenn on January 16, 2013 at 12:38 AM

so they passed a law in the middle of the night…where have we seen that before?

workingclass artist on January 16, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Yet this vile piece of Democrat feces enjoys protection from men armed with weapons that transgress this law.

Enough with the tar and feathers. It is time for the guillotine.

iconoclast on January 16, 2013 at 12:42 AM

That’s what it demands / requires for private citizens to form a state militia capable of keeping our own tyranical government at bay.

So should the private citizens. Period.

listens2glenn on January 16, 2013 at 12:38 AM

fify

workingclass artist on January 16, 2013 at 12:45 AM

a state militia

fify

workingclass artist on January 16, 2013 at 12:45 AM

“No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms.”
–Thomas Jefferson

“A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves…and include all men capable of bearing arms.” (Richard Henry Lee

“I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials.” George Mason

sharrukin on January 16, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Before:

AR-15. Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang. Reload.

After (with the unlikely assumption the bad guy obeys the law on limited magazines):

AR-15. Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang.

Hang on. This is a gun-free zone, is it not? Do you mind if I keep my handgun at the ready, while I reload? No? I didn’t think so, thank you.

AR-15. Chunk. Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang.
AR-15. Chunk. Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang.
AR-15. Chunk. Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang.
AR-15. Chunk. Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang.

Thank you, you’ve been great victims. I’ll be here all week, or until I kill myself, whichever comes first.

The Rogue Tomato on January 16, 2013 at 1:01 AM

listens2glenn on January 16, 2013 at 12:38 AM

fify

workingclass artist on January 16, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Yes you did.
Gotta slow down, gotta slow down, gotta slow down, gotta slow down, gotta slow down, gotta slow down . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

listens2glenn on January 16, 2013 at 1:08 AM

The Rogue Tomato on January 16, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Shut the thread.

Dunedainn on January 16, 2013 at 1:09 AM

A man whose entire life has been protected by others with guns, thinks he is very special.

pat on January 16, 2013 at 1:35 AM

*******Bank of America *********

⚜☥☫☬☯ ṩѧⅈɳナ ☯☬☫☥⚜ ‏@iLL_ugLy
2nd Amendment ALERT!!! I just called Bank of America… you have to hear…: http://youtu.be/x4f2h5EiWPY #BankofAmerica #GunControl #NoGunControl
==========================

2nd Amendment ALERT!!! I just called Bank of America… you have to hear this!
Published on Jan 15, 2013
*************************

Bank of America has decided that they are our lords telling us what we can and can not purchase!!!! ASK THE JEWS OF GERMANY HOW THE PROCESS BEGINS! They werent allowed to purchase things they needed/wanted either.
Video/Audio:(4:37)

canopfor on January 16, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Thank god I live in Arizona.

The Notorious G.O.P on January 16, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Greg Ball is a hottie.

gophergirl on January 15, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Yes, he certainly is.

He’s also sane and sensible and lucid, whereas, Cuomo isn’t any of that.

With every passing month, the states of California, New York and city of Chicago grow more fascist with every creeping advance of Democrat “rule”. Woe to our nation if we don’t contain this infection and soon on a national basis.

Lourdes on January 16, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Thank god I live in Arizona.

The Notorious G.O.P on January 16, 2013 at 2:06 AM

I’d live in Arizona if it wasn’t so darn hot. I have awful issues with Hawaii for that reason, all their Lefting-Communism aside, which is awful enough, but I have awful a time with hot-hot climates. I need 58 degrees as normal.

Lourdes on January 16, 2013 at 2:52 AM

Thank god I live in Arizona.

The Notorious G.O.P on January 16, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Lourdes on January 16, 2013 at 2:52 AM

However, have given consideration to Flagstaff, AZ. :)

Lourdes on January 16, 2013 at 2:53 AM

“The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to permit the conquered peoples to have arms. History teaches that all conquerors who have allowed their subjects to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by doing so.” – Adolph Hitler

“No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government” – Thomas Jefferson

And the Democratic Party continues to prove that it is, indeed, the party of Hitler.

Obama’s views, certainly Cuomo’s, aligned with those of Hitler, not with Jefferson if not not with the Founding Fathers, altogether.

This is a hideous time for the United States of America. I could write “I told you so” five hundred times and it wouldn’t capture my frustration over the years after correctly evaluating Obama and his plans and those of the DNC/DLC from five years ago forward. Today we are seeing just a bit of the terror they have planned for their “fundamentally remaking of America.”

It’s fascism. It’s fascism. I told you so and I certainly said as much five, four years ago as to Obama and what his were about.

Lourdes on January 16, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Today I view Obama as Hitler-with-a-Smiley-Face. Because he is.

He’s put a big-ole-smilin-face on fascism and his hapless supporters are doomed to remain as useful to his miscast, screwy views and notions as they can possibly be. Remain asleep, you self-satisfied, lolling Obama-voters, he’s servicing your haplessness well.

Lourdes on January 16, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Remember: Andrew Cuomo was the Clinton-Admin guy who was in charge of trying to get the gun manufacturers to sign an agreement which, effectively, would have knee-capped private gun sales. As I recall it, when Thompkins PLC owned it, S&W signed the agreement but nobody else did, and gun owners stopped buying S&W guns. Then, Thompkins bailed, and the new ownership tore up the deal and S&W has thrived since.

See http://archives.hud.gov/remarks/cuomo/speeches/smwsagr.cfm

FiveG on January 16, 2013 at 6:03 AM

Andrew will use this to update his resume’ for the run for the White House in 2016, “I was first, I was first”. He also bundled together existing laws to make the package look bigger. It cost me five dollars to get my permit renewed for five years and eight dollars to enter a new hand gun on my permit last year. When I bought a brick of 22′s at Wall Mart I had to show my permit to purchase ammo, last year. Bought a shot gun at Dicks twelve years ago and they did a background check on me for the purchase of a single shot 12 Ga. Don’t cha just love this internet.

mixplix on January 16, 2013 at 6:13 AM

Wonderful. Legislation be emotionalism.

I thought the governor of New York was a male.

Cleombrotus on January 16, 2013 at 6:20 AM

If y’all believe that Cuomo’s actions…or Obama’s actions are going to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, I have 2 bridges over the Mississippi river at Memphis to sell you. My take.

kingsjester on January 16, 2013 at 6:48 AM

This is no more than one should expect form the Peoples Socialist Republic of New York.

rplat on January 16, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Only seven. Does this mean the New York Yankees will only field seven players from now on–their large capacity team days over?
How’d they get seven as the magical number? 3.147/(5X.1000469) times the number of New York abortions, minus the living kids without fathers at a ratio of 3.55/2.55 for kids with fathers…

Don L on January 16, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Naw, he could just as easily announce his candidacy aand yell “Bishop!”

Don L on January 16, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Don’t worry Roberts will eventually rule for us?

tomas on January 16, 2013 at 7:36 AM

New Yorkers are welcome here in Virginia. Conservatives only, please.

22044 on January 15, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Went to school there for a couple years. Would love to come back.

Mr. Grump on January 16, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Greg Ball is my NY State Senator.

I can tell you from personal experience he is tough as nails and has consistently supported 2nd Amendment rights. His speech above was for real. He was right to call out Cuomo for what he did, what he didn’t do and what he is.
Andrew Cuomo – more of the same.

diogenes on January 16, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Meople on January 16, 2013 at 12:25 AM

But nobody will be overweight or hypertensive.

Mr. Grump on January 16, 2013 at 7:58 AM

How long will it take the NRA to file suit against it as unconstitutional?

Mohonri on January 15, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Can anyone say ex post facto? It’s in the works.

Mr. Grump on January 16, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I live in NY. What the liberals running the place make confusing is which is most dangerous: An illegal gun in the hand of a gangsta, or the 32oz. Coke I bought with legal US tender from a street vendor.

Liam on January 16, 2013 at 8:21 AM

And us in Upstate have reason #32,093 to hate downstate liberals.

matd on January 16, 2013 at 8:24 AM

ANYthing the regime wants passed can now be passed in the House just like the Sandy aide was yesterday. They won’t stop at grabbing our guns, either. In 4 years we won’t have anything left but the breath we take.

Kissmygrits on January 16, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Go. Cuomo has “crazy eyes”.

joe btfsplk on January 16, 2013 at 9:08 AM

gwelf on January 15, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Because in New York, “pro-choice” means freedom to kill your baby, not freedom to kill someone seeking to kill you or your family.

gryphon202 on January 16, 2013 at 9:22 AM

– Adolph Hitler

– Thomas Jefferson

Hitler and Mao. Don’t forget Mao.

“Every Communist must grasp the truth, ‘Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun.’ Our principle is that the Party commands the gun and the gun will never be allowed to command the Party,”

- Mao

The Rogue Tomato on January 16, 2013 at 10:45 AM

As others here have said, this is just his first step in his run for the presidency in 2016. Good luck with that, AC! Ain’t gonna happen!

Bob in VA on January 16, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Liam on January 15, 2013 at 11:23 PM

She’s gonna be annoyingdangerouslittletwerp pretty soon! ;)

GWB on January 16, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Liam on January 16, 2013 at 8:21 AM

So, our choice is 32oz or .32?

GWB on January 16, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Lourdes on January 16, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Someone should write a book about that.

Common questions asked in my youth when talk turned to NAZI Germany included “How could they let that happen?” and “Couldn’t they have stopped him?” So, when I encounter someone who voted for Obama in 2012, I say to them, “You are they.”

GWB on January 16, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I love the idea that some Dems actually believe a NY left wing crazy white guy could be elected President.

Yes. Please give him the nom.

Moesart on January 16, 2013 at 11:59 AM

And, the idea that the Dem nom will ever again be a hetro white guy is hilarious anyway.

Moesart on January 16, 2013 at 12:00 PM

If only every gun owner in the state just said no. What could they possibly do?

clement on January 16, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Go. Cuomo has “crazy eyes”.

joe btfsplk on January 16, 2013 at 9:08 AM