Breaking: Obama to announce gun-control proposals tomorrow

posted at 12:31 pm on January 15, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

No big surprises, except perhaps the timing:

President Obama will unveil a sweeping set of gun-control proposals at midday Wednesday, including an assault weapons ban, universal background checks and limits on the number of bullets magazines can hold, according to sources familiar with the plans.

The announcement, to be delivered at the White House, is also expected to include a slate of up to 19 executive actions that the Obama administration can take on its own to attempt to limit gun violence.  The White House has invited key lawmakers as well as gun-control advocates to appear at Wednesday’s policy rollout, according to two officials who have been invited to the event.

The rollout event looks like a revealing bit of theater.  I’m going to guess right now that there won’t be a broad bipartisan showing at it, since the above proposals don’t even have unanimous Democratic support, especially the assault-weapons ban.  Instead, it seems that Obama wants to surround himself with as many supporters as possible and claim it shows a broad consensus for his plans, even while Harry Reid is downplaying the likelihood that its centerpiece can pass the Democratic-controlled Senate.

Why rush the rest and get ahead of Reid on the assault-weapons ban?  Obama could easily have just announced all of the EOs and been depicted as a Commander in Chief, even though — as Allahpundit pointed out earlier today — the amount of authority he can exert through EOs is very limited.  If Reid isn’t fully on board, then there’s simply no way that Obama will get 60 votes in the Senate to clear cloture on this package, and some of the nays may well come from red-state Democrats eyeing the 2014 contests nervously, like Mark Pryor in Arkansas.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Not to get off topic, but who’s paying for those kids to be shipped in for the propaganda speech?
Scherzo442 on January 15, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Pretty short notice, too – hmm…

affenhauer on January 15, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Unless she has a P228, but then you knew that, right?

Bishop on January 15, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I’ve had the opp to decock pretty much every caliber handgun, incl. most semi-autos.

rogerb on January 15, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Stop it, you two! My husband is getting a man crush on you both!

texgal on January 15, 2013 at 6:28 PM

In case you missed it, here’s why it’s funny:

rogerb on January 15, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I really want to believe you’re right. I just don’t remember that happening at all. Stuff like that doesn’t usually get past me, but I’m not perfect.

I’ll be very, VERY happy to be mistaken on that score. : )

listens2glenn on January 15, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Well, Roe’s trimester system was well-known, but here’s the case:

And, here is the case from 2007, Gonzales v. Carhart, 550 U.S. 124, where the Supreme Court upheld the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act of 2003:

Resist We Much on January 15, 2013 at 6:57 PM

In case you missed it, here’s why it’s funny:

rogerb on January 15, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Oh My Gosh!…. That IS hilarious! What a douche bag! (Am I allowed to call someone that?)

texgal on January 15, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Idiot. I don’t wish death or tyranny on anyone. I just wish that Obama destroy all of you who brung/kept him.

Schadenfreude on January 15, 2013 at 2:36 PM

How do you “destroy” a human being you numbskull? By killing them.

You wished death on me and “mine” – even though some in my family actually voted for your hero Willard.

HondaV65 on January 15, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Apparently your “considerable” size prevents you from reading very well. He didn’t threaten death. So just shut up and go back to your weight watchers.

Nutstuyu on January 15, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Journal News Repudiated: New N.Y. Law Prohibits Disclosing Gun Owners’ Names

Cuomo signed it into law after it was passed overwhelmingly by the state Assembly, which is controlled by Democrats.

Resist We Much on January 15, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Myron Falwell on January 15, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Great comment! You said it much better than I ever could.

It needs to be kept in the forefront of all conservatives’ thoughts; it’s the New Reality and we need to live our lives as such. It helps concentrate the mind.

PatriotGal2257 on January 15, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Sounds like it’s time for the states refusing to form an 0bamacare exchange to stand in solidarity with those barring federal agents from enforcing 0bama’s gun diktats.

That would be the most effective way to fight all of this.

My hat is off to 0bama… what an amazing job of cleaving the country in half.

1861 all over again.

Let’s get ready to rumble.

cane_loader on January 15, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Resist We Much on January 15, 2013 at 7:21 PM

After the Journal News did it. How convenient. So are the people responsible going to be charged or is this yet another example of closing the barn door after the horse has left?

PatriotGal2257 on January 15, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Time to start keeping a lookout for cars & trucks with Fed plates on our roads and keep notes as to their activities.

cane_loader on January 15, 2013 at 7:24 PM

They say they can keep notes on us, and as Clint Eastwood said, they work for US.

So we damn well are within our rights to keep notes on them.

A logbook kept in the car with each US Government plate noted, complete with time, location, and description of vehicle and occupant would be a very good thing to start doing – and sharing with like-minded people.

Our tax money pays for them and they are on public roads, and so let’s all start looking out for the Feds everywhere we go and assembling a database.

cane_loader on January 15, 2013 at 7:27 PM

If Paul Revere could keep an eye on the movements of the British, so as to notify the Minuetmen ;-) , then as patriots, we need to start tracking every move the Feds make in our towns. That’s the conclusion I draw.

cane_loader on January 15, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Why rush the rest and get ahead of Reid on the assault-weapons ban?

I would think this was obvious. Obama knows he can’t get anything substantive done but he wants to take credit for trying and blame Repbulicans for stalling. He can’t just ignore the Congress and he can’t admit that he knows nothing will ever come of it. By announcing the legisation at the same time as the Exec Orders, he looks forceful and proactive while the issue is still hot. This way he gets to say, “I did all I could” to the people who care. By the time the bill inevitably fails, the conversation will have turned to something else.

JackOfClubs on January 15, 2013 at 7:38 PM

PatriotGal2257 on January 15, 2013 at 7:24 PM

They didn’t break the law when they exposed the names. Don’t worry. Journal News is not going to be getting off so easily because I foresee a flurry of civil suits being filed against it for intentional infliction of emotional distress, etc. Don’t forget that Gawker also outed permitted gun owners.

Resist We Much on January 15, 2013 at 7:40 PM

JackOfClubs on January 15, 2013 at 7:38 PM

What, like Hillary’s January 22nd testilying to Congress?

cane_loader on January 15, 2013 at 7:42 PM

If they shut the Internet to move on gun owners, then CB radio will be King of the Road again, in tracking the oppressors and lending assistance to patriots under attack.

10-4, good buddy!

cane_loader on January 15, 2013 at 7:43 PM

JackOfClubs on January 15, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Two words: recess freakin’ appointment…

affenhauer on January 15, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Scherzo442 on January 15, 2013 at 4:26 PM

How about a FOIA request to eat the names, addresses, phone numbers, etc., of all the parents (and kids) used for this official government event?

Nutstuyu on January 15, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Yes, and dollar to donut says these children’s letters were written in some NEA teacher’s classroom.

petefrt on January 15, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Gee . . . . . I actually wasn’t going to say anything, but . . . . .

listens2glenn on January 15, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I know…. Right?…. lol

texgal
on January 15, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Darn it! … I wanted one of those other guys to “freak-out” at me.
Sometimes you win . . . . .

listens2glenn on January 15, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Breaking: Obama to announce gun-control proposals tomorrow

…all the graphics, optics, and proposals etc. have been ready for years!…now is just the opportunity

KOOLAID2 on January 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Resist We Much on January 15, 2013 at 7:40 PM

As I said yesterday, I sure hope someone sues the hell out of them, so much so that Gannett, Inc. is permanently damaged. At the very least, it would be interesting to see the corporate HQ just look at the Journal News and say “Buh-bye, jerks. You are no longer a Gannett paper and you’re on your own. Have fun twisting in the wind.” Gawker needs the same treatment.

PatriotGal2257 on January 15, 2013 at 8:23 PM

My hat is off to 0bama… what an amazing job of cleaving the country in half.

1861 all over again.

cane_loader on January 15, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Cleaving the country and setting it against itself may well be part of Obama’s game plan for “fundamentally transforming” America. Maybe that’s why all the sycophants’ comparisons of Obama to Lincoln lately. Save the union by crushing the conservative opposition.

petefrt on January 15, 2013 at 8:27 PM

In case you missed it, here’s why it’s funny:

rogerb on January 15, 2013 at 6:54 PM
texgal on January 15, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Texgal, you can say anything you want (obviously).
But seriously…what??
Aside from the ‘cold dead hands’ schtick…what are you trying to say?

verbaluce on January 15, 2013 at 9:20 PM

texgal on January 15, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Aside from the ‘cold dead hands’ schtick…what are you trying to say?

verbaluce on January 15, 2013 at 9:20 PM

That Jay Carney’s a “douche bag”?

listens2glenn on January 15, 2013 at 9:59 PM

So we damn well are within our rights to keep notes on them.

cane_loader on January 15, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Actually, you are heading down the right path. What you are referring to is similar to turning the tables on the enemy…the enemy being the liberals, the progressives, those that want to shred the 2nd Amendment thinking we can exist in a Utopia. Face it, these scumbags have shellacked conservatives and patriotic Americans over the last 4 years. Any facsimile of opposition…that is the Republican Party, has laid down in fear and let down the patriots that supported them all these years. They are openly disassociating themselves with elected Tea Party Republicans. I hope the Republican Tea Party members break away and declare themselves as Independents…the sooner the better.

The liberals and progressives have become ruthless and rotten to the core…they have done everything possible to divide this country and pit neighbor against neighbor, friend against friend, and family members against family members. The constant confusion they have created has people on edge and confused, not knowing which way to turn. They are on a roll and they know it. Behind closed doors and in the open, they have declared war on decent and moral, law-abiding patriots. We let them paint the Tea Party as a group of fanatical thugs instead of the concerned individuals that they are that want to save this country from certain doom. I say it’s time to adopt the same strategies and begin to fight fire with fire.

I call upon the patriots that comment on this blog to begin sharing ideas like cane_loader has and let’s get the ball rolling. With blessings from Hot Air, we can begin sharing lawful tactics that can start to put some panic in the minds of the liberals/progressives. Just like the blogger that published the names and addresses of the scum at the The Journal News and put some fear into their lives, we can use similar lawful tactics to stir the pot and get things going. We have to stand up against this evil that is threatening the downfall of our country.

The Journal News is one of a family of publications owned and operated by Gannett Company, Inc. If you subscribe to any newspaper or publication owned by Gannett, I implore you to stop your subscription and tell them why. Whatever can be found in their publications can be found on the Internet. Let that liberal Gannett Company know that they have shamed the country and put hundreds, if not thousands, of lives in danger.

metroryder on January 15, 2013 at 10:22 PM

listens2glenn on January 15, 2013 at 9:59 PM

rogerb was linking to a past comment of mine from another thread.
(Bit of an obsessed fan. )

verbaluce on January 15, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Well, here is one thing you can do:
You know how the ‘authorities’ have decided that they can arrest you for photographing or videoing them when they are stomping on someone’s rights?

It is pretty obvious what you are up to when you hold up your cell phones or cameras /camcorders, and you are inviting trouble…

For less than fifty bucks, you can buy a decent little video camera that looks like a pair of eyeglasses, Sunglasses, or even a pen.

And for a hundred bucks you can get a higher quality unit that the camera portion looks like a button, with a separate digital recorder that you can secrete in a pocket etc.

LegendHasIt on January 15, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Obama sings:

*We are the champion my friend!

And we’ll keep on demagoging to the end!

*(Royal WE)

Sherman1864 on January 16, 2013 at 1:14 AM

No time for Congress!

For we are the champion of the worldaaaaa!

(Adaptation by Club Xerxes, TM. All rights not reserved are cancelled anyway.)

Sherman1864 on January 16, 2013 at 1:18 AM

listens2glenn on January 15, 2013 at 9:59 PM

rogerb was linking to a past comment of mine from another thread.
(Bit of an obsessed fan. )

verbaluce on January 15, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Nonsense. rogerb‘s still a rookie as an “obsessed fan”.

Ya wanna see a real obsessed fan? ME !

I chased you around for six days, across three other threads trying to get a response to a previous comment. And I finally got it, too.
That’s “obsession”.

I am the champion, I am the champion, no time for losers . . . . .

But I’m not arrogant or egocentric about it. Good thing, huh?

Otherwise I might get conceited … and if that ever happens, it’s OVER.
Ok, I’m off to beddy-byes . . . . . . . .

listens2glenn on January 16, 2013 at 2:20 AM

(Bit of an obsessed fan. )

verbaluce on January 15, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Bless your unique little snowflake heart. Your name wasn’t mentioned. You’re interchangeable, and its especially evident on this topic. It just so happened that none of the other ignorant-of-the-subject HA progressives made the comically bad “incl. most semi-autos” comment. That it was proudly (re:fan) yours was unimportant.

We’re not laughing with your understanding of important issues.

rogerb on January 16, 2013 at 5:29 AM

Why doesn’t the NRA have a huge conference with children too. How about the twins from Georgia whose mom shot an intruder that had a crowbar five times?
Round up children of people who have legally used s firearm to protect them and let them write letters to Obama.
Let’s truly make it “about the children.”
A second group of children who are suffering because their parents can’t find a job should also write letters to Obama. I wonder if he would parade them out to the public!
How about shirts for the kids that say, “I was saved by a legally responsible gun owner”

Art on January 16, 2013 at 8:38 AM

listens2glenn on January 16, 2013 at 2:20 AM

I don’t wanna deny you a prize, but 1st place really does have to go to rogerb. You just don’t ‘collect’ me as much as he does.
He wants to ride my bicycle, he wants to ride my bike.

verbaluce on January 16, 2013 at 8:58 AM

We’re not laughing with your understanding of important issues.

rogerb on January 16, 2013 at 5:29 AM

Confoundedly inarticulate.
Coffee first next time?

verbaluce on January 16, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I just received this advance notice of Obama’s speech. It seems somehow familiar.

see me ride out of the sunset
on your colour tv screen
out for all that I can get
if you know what I mean
women to the left of me
and women to the right
ain’t got no gun
ain’t got no knife
don’t you start no fight
‘cause I’m T.N.T. I’m dynamite
(T.N.T.) and I’ll win the fight
(T.N.T.) I’m a power load
(T.N.T.) watch me explode

claudius on January 16, 2013 at 9:34 AM

We’re not laughing with your understanding of important issues.

rogerb on January 16, 2013 at 5:29 AM

Confoundedly inarticulate.
Coffee first next time?

verbaluce on January 16, 2013 at 9:33 AM

So, other HA posters, anyone else have any problems following my 5:29 post? Show of hands?

Or was it just verbaluce?

(And you do realize I quoted “incl. most semi-autos” directly from you, right verbaluce?)

Regardless, I remain amazed that you as an adult haven’t learned that the best counter to your own words aren’t more of your own words.

rogerb on January 16, 2013 at 11:50 AM

The politicians keep coming forward and saying we have to do something and we need laws on gun violence, blah, blah, blah. If you follow their logic we only need to have one good law; they should make it illegal for anyone to shoot children in schools. There, it’s done and they can all slap each other on the back, shake hands and go campaign on their great triumph. This is as ridiculous as the stuff they keep spouting in order to sound like they are doing something profound.

Pardonme on January 16, 2013 at 11:53 AM

We’re not laughing with your understanding of important issues.

rogerb on January 16, 2013 at 5:29 AM

Confoundedly inarticulate.
Coffee first next time?

verbaluce on January 16, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Or was it just verbaluce?

rogerb on January 16, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Looks like it was just you, verbaluce. Nicely done.

rogerb on January 16, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I just don’t get this verbaluce character.

Bmore on January 17, 2013 at 10:08 AM

We’re not laughing with your understanding of important issues.

rogerb on January 16, 2013 at 5:29 AM

Confoundedly inarticulate.
Coffee first next time?

verbaluce on January 16, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Or was it just verbaluce?

rogerb on January 16, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Looks like it was just you, verbaluce. Nicely done.

rogerb on January 16, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Nearly 26 hours later and no one else seems to have had any problems understanding my 5:29 post.

So yep, just you, verbaluce. We’ll keep asking, though.

rogerb on January 17, 2013 at 1:28 PM