$50 billion Sandy relief bill somehow passes House with just 49 Republican votes

posted at 8:16 pm on January 15, 2013 by Allahpundit

I remember some consternation in the media a few weeks ago after Boehner split the original $60 billion relief package into two smaller bills that this meant the GOP was going to gut part of it. Absurd. Did anyone seriously believe Boehner et al. would risk more bad press by stripping out the pork after Chris Christie threw a big tantrum about how evil his own party was for even delaying the initial vote?

I hereby retract my skepticism that the GOP leadership collectively has no balls.

Lawmakers in the House of Representatives approved measures Tuesday to send more than $50 billion in aid to the Northeastern states ravaged by Superstorm Sandy last fall, though some conservatives in the House were pushing for spending cuts that would offset the cost of the recovery package…

One of those voted upon – introduced by Rep. Mick Mulvaney of South Carolina – called for all of the Sandy aid funding to be completely counterbalanced by equivalent spending cuts. Previously, emergency aid packages, including several measures funding relief efforts for Hurricane Katrina that hit the Gulf Coast in 2005, have been passed in Congress without matching spending reductions.

The Mulvaney amendment, however, failed to pass the House Tuesday afternoon.

Seventy-one Republicans voted against Mulvaney’s amendment, which was more than enough to bury it with heavy Democratic support. The final bill passed 241-180, with 179 Republicans — nearly four-fifths of the caucus — voting no. There was a lot of chatter last year before the fiscal-cliff vote that Boehner wouldn’t bring bills to the floor that didn’t have the support of a majority of his own caucus (the so-called “Hastert Rule”). Fast-forward a few weeks and he’s now allowing votes on bills that face supermajority opposition from the GOP. Looks like he’s feeling awfully good about his leverage after being reelected Speaker. Presumably tonight’s vote was his way of signaling to the tea partiers in the caucus that, if push comes to shove, he’ll let Democrats pass a debt-ceiling hike with help from Republican centrists too. There’s not much conservative members could do to punish him for that; he already has the worst job in Washington. The cruelest thing they could do to him is elect him to another term.

Update: Among those 49 yes votes, by the way: Eric Cantor and Kevin McCarthy.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I wonder how much of the recent tax hikes on the rich folks they just spent?

sharrukin on January 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM

If we even have elections in the future, I can’t wait until the RINOs start their braying again about how conservatives need to fall in line and support the new RINO joke candidate. That’s right, RINOs bray just like the democrat asses they are.

Flange on January 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Let’s sic Donna Lange on Boehner…

Death By Boobs

Resist We Much on January 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I’d ask for a list of who voted for it, but they live in the NE or in districts that will never be turned over.

mchristian on January 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Who will betray you..?

d1carter on January 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM

We are sooooo screwed!

nicefly on January 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM

waste of money.

tom daschle concerned on January 15, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Wonder how many voted “No” just to say they did…

JAGonzo on January 15, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Boehner is the Manchurian candidate…all along….

RAGIN CAJUN on January 15, 2013 at 8:22 PM

What wouldn’t Boehner roll over for?

BruthaMan on January 15, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Boehner is really sticking to that “majority of the majority” rule, eh?

besser tot als rot on January 15, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I wonder how much of the recent tax hikes on the rich folks they just spent?

sharrukin on January 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM

We’ll be lucky if said tax hike doesn’t reduce total tax revenues by more than what this costs in the next year alone.

Count to 10 on January 15, 2013 at 8:23 PM

sharrukin on January 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I saw on Twitter it was a year’s worth of the tax increase on wealthy…I not sure that’s correct..?

d1carter on January 15, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Good! Now I don’t feel guilty for not donating to Sandy Relief. The porking Congressional liberals have it all well in hand.

Liam on January 15, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Maybe the Republicans that voted against this can form a “Davy Crockett” caucus.

Count to 10 on January 15, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Count to 10 on January 15, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Maybe we need to go with the French rate of 75% because that is working out so well for them. /

sharrukin on January 15, 2013 at 8:24 PM

d1carter on January 15, 2013 at 8:23 PM

That is correct!

nicefly on January 15, 2013 at 8:25 PM

So be it.

SouthernGent on January 15, 2013 at 8:25 PM

sharrukin on January 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM

$50 billion??? that sounds like it should be about all of it…

phreshone on January 15, 2013 at 8:25 PM

d1carter on January 15, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Remember that it’s a revenue problem, not a spending problem! /sarcasm

sharrukin on January 15, 2013 at 8:26 PM

We don’t need a conservative GOP President. A squishy moderate, center-left statist like Romney is just fine because he’ll be held in check by that rock-ribbed, conservative House! / Romney supporter – 2012

besser tot als rot on January 15, 2013 at 8:26 PM

mchristian on January 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM

House Vote 23 – Approves $50.7 Billion In Hurricane Sandy Aid

obladioblada on January 15, 2013 at 8:26 PM

…get bent boner!

KOOLAID2 on January 15, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Where is the actual bill? I would like to see what that money bought us.

ArkyDore on January 15, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I wonder how much of the recent tax hikes on the rich folks they just spent?

sharrukin on January 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM

~360 Billion
Minus 64 billion tax hike..

Recovery!!!

Electrongod on January 15, 2013 at 8:27 PM

*WAR*

idesign on January 15, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Business as usual. I mean, really, who are all you little people to object?

M240H on January 15, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Note that John Boehner did not vote.

Jellyfish.

obladioblada on January 15, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Neugebauer was a ‘Nay’. good.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 15, 2013 at 8:29 PM

If we can’t even cut pork in this POS, the chances of any significant spending cuts going forward are pretty much zero. I’ve just about given up, me thinks.

DocinPA on January 15, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Liam on January 15, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Exactly why I never donate to relief efforts for major disasters. I know I can count on the government to donate my money for me.

predator on January 15, 2013 at 8:29 PM

ahojdfoajpdfjaojdofjpj blah..how freaking much of this crap is pork??? TOoo much!!! those 49 republicans should be ashamed of themselves..oh nevermind, they have no shame or backbones or principles..i could go on and on….they’ll cave in the debt ceiling deal also..i have 0 confidence in republicans right now

sadsushi on January 15, 2013 at 8:29 PM

What’s the point of the GOP?

Nessuno on January 15, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Two major bills passed against the will of the House majority. Way to go Boehner!

Might as well just pass the gavel to Nancy and go golfing.

can_con on January 15, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I don’t want to say that the idiotic, Keystone Cops-like coup attempt by the TrueCon faction against Boehner only managed to strengthen his hand and further marginalize congressmen from blood-red districts who don’t give two sh*ts about American public opinion and political reality…

Actually, yeah. That’s exactly what happened.

KingGold on January 15, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Boehner is really sticking to that “majority of the majority” rule, eh?

besser tot als rot on January 15, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Well, looks like amnesty just got a lot more likely. The Hastert Rule was its biggest obstacle.

Jon0815 on January 15, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Note that John Boehner did not vote.

Jellyfish.

obladioblada on January 15, 2013 at 8:28 PM

The Speaker generally does not vote, unless needed to break a tie or to send a message,

nicefly on January 15, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Rodney Davis (Rino-IL) voted for it. Guess I’ll leave that part of my ballot blank in two years.

predator on January 15, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Recovery!!!

Electrongod on January 15, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Speaking of that recovery.

We’re going from bad to worse,” said Diane Oakley, executive director of the National Institute on Retirement Security. “Already, fewer private-sector workers have access to stable pension plans. And the savings in individual retirement savings accounts like 401(k) plans — which already are severely underfunded — continue to leak out at a high rate.”

A report due out this week from the financial advisory firm HelloWallet found that more than one in four workers dip into retirement funds to pay their mortgages, credit card debt or other bills. Those in their 40s have been the most likely culprits — one-third are turning to such accounts for relief.

sharrukin on January 15, 2013 at 8:32 PM

The Barbarians are at the gate and the are holding their food stamps and EBT cards.

Rio Linda Refugee on January 15, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Actually, yeah. That’s exactly what happened.

KingGold on January 15, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Is there anything in your world, any problem, any tears in the eyes of a small child, that isn’t in some bizarre way the fault of conservatives?

sharrukin on January 15, 2013 at 8:35 PM

*WAR*

idesign on January 15, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Cantor and McCarthy, yes votes. Boehner did not vote.

Fallon on January 15, 2013 at 8:35 PM

John Culberson voted yes and is fairly active on the radio in Houston. This will be interesting to hear him explain that vote. Guess he’s tired of his job.

DanMan on January 15, 2013 at 8:36 PM

predator on January 15, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I am glad to hear that I am not alone.

Rio Linda Refugee on January 15, 2013 at 8:36 PM

They aren’t the only people Boney is signaling, I can see it pretty easily too.

Join my write-in campaign: “Ace (my favorite dog) 2016″

Bishop on January 15, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Actually, yeah. That’s exactly what happened.

KingGold on January 15, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Asinine as usual from KingGold.

Boehner having a strengthened hand means that he gets to pass bills on the back of overwhelming Democrat support? If that is what Boehner does with his “strong hand,” then he definitely should have been ousted.

80% of the majority party voted against the bill. If 80% of the majority party is “marginalized,” then there is a serious problem with the majority party’s leadership.

besser tot als rot on January 15, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Answered my own question I guess. Amazing how that much money can be spent that fast.

ArkyDore on January 15, 2013 at 8:37 PM

What wouldn’t Boehner roll over for?

BruthaMan on January 15, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I’m waiting for the David Hasselhoff mangle-eating burger youtube video- The John Boehner Edition.

I can just see a drunk Boehner rolling around on the floor mangle-eating a burger and crying about the names the mean Tea Partiers call him.

Resist We Much on January 15, 2013 at 8:37 PM

predator on January 15, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Once celebrities get involved, I know where the first 45% of my money is going. So, let the liberals deal with any ‘relief effort’.

Yet, liberals wonder why half of America is so cynical.

Liam on January 15, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I don’t know, but if I hear ‘These people deserve this..’ many more times I’m gonna twist off….

BigWyo on January 15, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Why was this surprising? When has GOP leadership ever shown any balls?

sauldalinsky on January 15, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Fallon on January 15, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Who’s your congress-thing?

annoyinglittletwerp on January 15, 2013 at 8:41 PM

It’s broken, man. That is a couple hundred dollars from each American gifted to the tub of lard and the mafiosos.

Buddahpundit on January 15, 2013 at 8:41 PM

More tax dollars down the shitter.

Pork-Chop on January 15, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Actually, yeah. That’s exactly what happened.

KingGold on January 15, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Ummm, what happened is that a Republican Speaker of the House abandoned the Hastert Rule, which is what the Left has been trying to get him to do all along.

You’ll notice that Nancy Pelosi never did nor did she send congresspeople from deep-blue districts to Siberia.

What’s happened is that John Boehner has decided that he would rather be invited to cocktail parties than do his duty as Speaker.

You can keep blaming it on conservatives while Republican moderates continue to open the door so that far left Democrats can waltz in and screw you you-know-where without any lube.

“I have generally found that a person who is good at excuses, is usually good at nothing else.”

– Benjamin Franklin

Resist We Much on January 15, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Yeah, we’re done. Pack it in. Boehner is no more a small government conservative than Pelosi is. The people re-elected Obama and they re-elected Boehner, and the members of the House put him back in the Speaker spot. We did what we could, and we lost. It’s over. There will be nothing good to come of the next two years. Not one damn thing.

Shump on January 15, 2013 at 8:42 PM

sharrukin on January 15, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Who said anything about this being the fault of conservatives? I placed blame at the feet of, and I quote:

These people are not conservatives. They’re children. Conservatives do not attempt to negotiate with zero leverage. They do not enable liberal legislation because they don’t like compromise legislation. And they don’t go on MSNBC to whine and moan about not being given fifty years of seniority in their first month in the House.

Not to mention that half these people are porkers themselves, who will only too happily cut spending unless it touches some sacred make-work community center project in the town of East Bumblescum in their district.

KingGold on January 15, 2013 at 8:43 PM

No more ‘majority of the majority’. Its ‘get the damn thing through’.

tommy71 on January 15, 2013 at 8:44 PM

When has GOP leadership ever shown any balls?

most recent is Gingrinch in 1996 from what I remember.

DanMan on January 15, 2013 at 8:44 PM

predator on January 15, 2013 at 8:29 PM

That is EXACTLY why Europeans give so little to charity. To them, they “gave at the office.”

Resist We Much on January 15, 2013 at 8:44 PM

More tax dollars down the shitter.

Pork-Chop on January 15, 2013 at 8:42 PM

1 trillion per flush…
Like Old Faithful…
Get ready for Great Flush…

Electrongod on January 15, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Update: Among those 49 yes votes, by the way: Eric Cantor and Kevin McCarthy.

I might have said it before, but it looks like a “yes” vote on SuperPork Sandy is being scored by “leadership” as a key vote for committee memberships.

Steve Eggleston on January 15, 2013 at 8:45 PM

MeanWhile………………………………..

House accepts $33.7 billion amendment to Sandy bill
- 01/15/13 07:11 PM ET
***********************

The House also voted on amendments from:
****************************************

Rep. Bill Flores (R-Texas), striking $150 million for Regional Ocean Partnership grants. Passed 221-197.

Rep. Jon Runyan (R-N.J.), clarifying that disaster money in the Frelinghuysen amendment is for states that were hit by Hurricane Sandy and suffered a fisheries disaster in 2012. Passed by voice vote.

Rep. Paul Broun (R-Ga.), cutting $13 million to accelerate the National Weather Service ground readiness project. Failed 206-214.

Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-S.C.), taking out $1 million for the Legal Services Corporation, which gives legal services to lower-income people. Failed 202-217.

Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.), clarifying that funds in the bill does not make taxpayers 100 percent responsible for projects unrelated to Hurricane Sandy. Passed by voice vote.

Rep. Nydia Velazquez (D-N.Y.), increasing the Community Development Fund by $25 million. Withdrawn.

Rep. Tim Huelskamp (R-Kan.), to require FEMA to disclose all disaster relief grants, not just those over $1 million. Passed by voice vote.

Rep. John Fleming (R-La.), to cut $9.8 million from the Fish & Wildlife Service for rebuilding seawalls on uninhabited islands off the shore of Connecticut. Passed 216-205.

Rep. Dan Benishek (R-Mich.), restoring a requirement that local investment — not just federal money — is required in Historic Preservation Grants. Failed 208-212.

Rep. Rob Bishop (R-Utah), prohibiting the government from acquiring new federal land with the funds provided in the bill. Passed 223-198.

Rep. Velazquez, increasing funding to the National Cemetery Administration by $1 million. Passed by voice vote.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/277359-house-accepts-337-billion-amendment-to-sandy-bill#ixzz2I6BHRBXu

canopfor on January 15, 2013 at 8:45 PM

d1carter on January 15, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I think you are correct.

JPeterman on January 15, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Join my write-in campaign: “Ace (my favorite dog) 2016″

Bishop on January 15, 2013 at 8:36 PM

With Ace in the race the rest can’t keep pace!

VegasRick on January 15, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Who’s your congress-thing?

annoyinglittletwerp on January 15, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Hultgren. He voted “no” but he’s pretty much a Boehner Mini-Me. He’s even a little orange.

Fallon on January 15, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Speaking of that recovery.

“We’re going from bad to worse,” said Diane Oakley, executive director of the National Institute on Retirement Security.

sharrukin on January 15, 2013 at 8:32 PM

How could such a thing be possible?

What’s the point of the GOP?

Nessuno on January 15, 2013 at 8:31 PM

What these spineless GOP idiots don’t understand is that by pathetically rolling over as they give in to their anxiety about being reelected, they are assuring that the GOP will lose the House.

Did I mention that they are spineless idiots?

Anti-Control on January 15, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Well only a few GOP house members should be allowed to complain. They voted keep Boehner, those that opposed him had no plan on who should replace them, and worst of all no big name stepped up for the job.

No big names wanted to lead, hence why the GOP always loses. All this has made the Newt years look better and better. No matter what I or anyone else thinks of the man at least he wanted the ball in the big games.

This also proves we do not control the House anymore. It is run by the Democrats who have control of the fiscal Rhinos.

Oh well…

William Eaton on January 15, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Who’s your congress-thing?

annoyinglittletwerp on January 15, 2013 at 8:41 PM

OK, That made me LOL, big-time.

predator on January 15, 2013 at 8:48 PM

KingGold on January 15, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Blah, blah, blah, surrender now, blah, blah, grovel and bootlick.

$20 trillion dollars of your bloody compromises, and a broke nation, and the end game of your oh-so-adult legislation is going to be what? $30 trillion in debt? $40 trillion?

sharrukin on January 15, 2013 at 8:48 PM

When has GOP leadership ever shown any balls?

most recent is Gingrinch in 1996 from what I remember.

DanMan on January 15, 2013 at 8:44 PM

The Dumbocrats sure seemed to hate Tom Delay a lot for some reason.

Anti-Control on January 15, 2013 at 8:49 PM

The GOP will retrain you.

tommy71 on January 15, 2013 at 8:49 PM

KingGold on January 15, 2013 at 8:43 PM

We worked damn hard to get people we wanted to vote as they claimed they would. They did. You want a slower rate of destruction based on your comment. We want fiscal sanity and are labelled extreme. KingGold is what is wrong with the repubs but they have 20% of the GOP to coalesce with dems. We’re done.

DanMan on January 15, 2013 at 8:50 PM

besser tot als rot on January 15, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Yes, he should have.

It’s too bad that those who stood against him were disorganized toddlers who were too busy jockeying among themselves for the glory to put their own interests aside and get a consensus alternative candidate.

You people seem to think that installing a member from a different “club” will make a damned bit of difference. Did you see Steve King on Fox? Hero to conservatives, the guy just didn’t want to name specific spending he’d cut. Even the TruCons know that being in control of the money is an enticing thing.

You show me one member of the conservative faction who’s got the balls to propose the necessary entitlement cuts to balance our budget, and I’ll shut up right now. Otherwise, don’t put your favorite congressmen on a pedestal.

KingGold on January 15, 2013 at 8:50 PM

So,under Team GOP (Bush),Katrina gots there loot within 10 days,
and under a Liberal POTUSA,um…..kicking da can down the road!

Frustration was evident on the floor of the House on Friday. “It took only 10 days after Katrina for President Bush to sign $60bn in Katrina aid,” said New Jersey Democratic representative Bill Pascrell. “How dare you come to this floor and make people think everything is OK.”
===================

canopfor on January 15, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Cripe

Paygo?

Puhlee

cmsinaz on January 15, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Fallon on January 15, 2013 at 8:46 PM

During the primary, one of Neugebauer’s conservative challengers-Chris Wynn(former Lubbock County GOP chairman)-won 30+% of the vote. 2 of those votes came from me and the Mister. Because of that, RN is on his best behavior…for now at least.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 15, 2013 at 8:52 PM

The GOP will retrain you.

tommy71 on January 15, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Though not necessarily in the way they hope.

Steve Eggleston on January 15, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Time for let it burn

cmsinaz on January 15, 2013 at 8:52 PM

-The “fiscal cliff” ended in 600 billion in new revenue NO cut and an additional 330 billion in spending.

-Farm Bill- 100 billion

-emergency sandy aid 10 billion

-new sandy aid 59 billion

hmmm well we have around what 100 billion left of new revenue to blow. Well I am sure if I didn’t miss it recently Bohner and O can make sure that gets spent a couple times over buying the votes for the debt ceiling hike.

Is anyone but be realizing that their is NO opposition. The Dems and Repubs are playing both sides against the middle and by middle I mean AMERICA. Its a hustle.

C-Low on January 15, 2013 at 8:53 PM

One Rep who ahs really been a disappointment is Lou Barletta (R-PA). He was great as a mayor fighting illegal immigration, but he a RINO par excellence.

bw222 on January 15, 2013 at 8:55 PM

A more salient point is that Christie is the 16′ Candidate, now obligated to pork….

Wash, rinse, repeat….meet the new boss, same as the old boss, we wont get fooled again….

RAGIN CAJUN on January 15, 2013 at 8:55 PM

The Dumbocrats sure seemed to hate Tom Delay a lot for some reason.

Tom was okay but he played a mean game. One of his last big microphone momenst was to stand on the steps of the capital and declaere they had wrung all of the waste out of the budget they could. My toes curled on that. But what repub speaker has not been villified by the left? Even go along Hastert had his dem haters.

DanMan on January 15, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Cowards, all of them.

Jaibones on January 15, 2013 at 8:56 PM

As far as I’m concerned, Congress is nothing but a bunch of political wh*res, and they can collectively go fu*k themselves.

diditagain on January 15, 2013 at 8:56 PM

DanMan on January 15, 2013 at 8:50 PM

What I want is a solid gold house and a supermodel on each arm. However, I’m not constrained by the delusion that I can acquire these things with the resources I have.

You people expect Boehner to come off an election where we just got our asses kicked (and “conservative candidates” lost by the biggest margins, by the way) and magic that up to getting everything we want. You people need a basic lesson in American elections and representative government.

The American people voted for high spending and high taxes (whether they knew they were doing so or not is irrelevant). John Boehner tried to mitigate that with less spending and not-as-high taxes, and the TrueCons opted not to help him achieve this. So we wound up with high spending and high taxes. And you wonder just how everything went so wrong.

KingGold on January 15, 2013 at 8:56 PM

wtf do they need 50bil for?

someone better get an itemized receipt…

equanimous on January 15, 2013 at 8:57 PM

MeanWhile we go back into time,to Katrina..Hopey Votes No!

PICKET: (VIDEO) Obama voted against funding New Orleans bridge damaged by Hurricane Katrina in ’05
October 3, 2012, 08:15PM
*************************

The recent video that surfaced on the Daily Caller’s website showing then presidential candidate Barack Obama in 2007 addressing an audience at Hampton University during the Democratic presidential primary. According to The Daily Caller:

In a video obtained exclusively by The Daily Caller, then-presidential candidate Barack Obama tells an audience of black ministers, including the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, that the U.S. government shortchanged Hurricane Katrina victims because of racism.

“The people down in New Orleans they don’t care about as much!” Obama shouts in the video, which was shot in June of 2007 at Hampton University in Virginia. By contrast, survivors of Sept. 11 and Hurricane Andrew received generous amounts of aid, Obama explains. The reason? Unlike residents of majority-black New Orleans, the federal government considers those victims “part of the American family.”(More..)
===============================

canopfor on January 15, 2013 at 8:57 PM

If Christie is the gop nominee in 2016….I’m sitting next to pookie on the couch

cmsinaz on January 15, 2013 at 8:57 PM

The GOP set a standard they are going to have to live up to now. If they ever pass a bill loaded with crap the media will have a field day over the hypocrisy. Everybody who voted no on this better be very clean with regard to pork for their districts from here on out.

Mark1971 on January 15, 2013 at 8:57 PM

83% of 2013′s new revenue was spent today. And, since there won’t be a budget from democrats, I guess we’ll just add this to the baseline.

BKeyser on January 15, 2013 at 8:59 PM

nicefly on January 15, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Didn’t send any message, did he?

obladioblada on January 15, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Time for let it burn

cmsinaz on January 15, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I think that’s happening already, all by itself, because of the non-existent GOP leadership!

If they screw up the leverage they hold regarding the debt ceiling…no comment!

Anti-Control on January 15, 2013 at 9:00 PM

If Christie is the gop nominee in 2016….I’m sitting next to pookie on the couch

cmsinaz on January 15, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Save me a spot.

JPeterman on January 15, 2013 at 9:00 PM

DanMan on January 15, 2013 at 8:36 PM

I was gobsmacked to see that. He’s been pretty active at Tea Party functions and has always been a solid conservative. My rep Olson voted no but it’s a little redder than Culberson’s district.

TxAnn56 on January 15, 2013 at 9:02 PM

KingGold on January 15, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Well, except for the fact that McConnell (yes, THAT McConnell) got away with “only” raising taxes by $615 billion (versus 2012 policy plus indexing the AMT), while Bo(eh)ner was willing as early as 2011 to raise them $800 billion against the same baseline,….

Steve Eggleston on January 15, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Hey kids, in case you ain’t pissed enough don’t forget about the 11 billion for flood insurance refill from last week. Unbelievable.
Even though a third party would initially hurt us, I would derive satisfaction to a-bomb the repubs. I don’t care any more. I’m tired of being chewed up and spit out by both parties.

arnold ziffel on January 15, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Time for let it burn

cmsinaz on January 15, 2013 at 8:52 PM

cmsinaz:The Mascot(sarc):)

canopfor on January 15, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Though not necessarily in the way they and complete morons like tommy71 hope.

Steve Eggleston on January 15, 2013 at 8:52 PM