Video: Piers Morgan discovers Ben Shapiro isn’t Alex Jones

posted at 8:01 am on January 11, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Duane hit this in the Green Room, but I want to note a few passages from the appearance of Breitbart’s Ben Shapiro on CNN with Piers Morgan last night. First, Ben calls out Morgan for acting like a bully to his guests and an activist rather than a journalist, a theme that fits nicely with Ben’s new book, Bullies: How the Left’s Culture of Fear and Intimidation Silences Americans. Ben told me on Wednesday’s TEMS that he was relishing the confrontation — and you can see why:

BEN SHAPIRO, EDITOR BREITBART.COM: You know, honestly Piers, you have kind of been a bully on this issue, because what you do, and I’ve seen it repeatedly on your show. I watch your show. And I’ve seen it repeatedly. What you tend to do is you tend to demonize people who differ from you politically by standing on the graves of the children of Sandy Hook saying they don’t seem to care enough about the dead kids. If they cared more about the dead kids, they would agree with you on policy. I think we can have a rational, political conversation about balancing rights and risks and rewards of all of these different policies, but I don’t think that what we need to do is demonize people on the other side as being unfeeling about what happened at Sandy Hook.

MORGAN: How dare you accuse me of standing on the graves of the children that died there. How dare you.

SHAPIRO: I’ve seen you do it repeatedly, Piers.

MORGAN: Like I say, how dare you.

SHAPIRO: Well, I mean, you can keep saying that, but you’ve done it repeatedly. What you do, and I’ve seen you do it on your program, is you keep saying to folks if they disagree with you politically, then somehow this is a violation of what happened in Sandy Hook. And you, I would really like to hear your policy prescriptions for what we should do about guns because you say you respect the second amendment. You know, I brought this here for you so you can read it. It’s the Constitution. And I would really like for you to explain to me what you would do about guns that would have prevented what happened in Sandy Hook. If you want to do what you did in the U.K., right, which is ban virtually all guns, that is at least a fair argument and we can have a discussion about whether that’s something that we ought to do or not.

Shapiro was also prepared to fight back when Morgan brings up “assault weapons” a couple of moments later:

MORGAN: They want to take away assault weapons, which are capable with magazines that we saw in Aurora and Sandy hook, of unleashing a ridiculous amount of —

SHAPRIO: This is what I wanted to ask you, Piers, because I have seen you talk about assault weapons a lot, and I have seen Mark Kelly talk about assault weapons. The vast majority of murders in this country that are committed with guns are committed with handguns, they are not committed assault weapons. Are you willing to ban handguns in this country, across this country?

MORGAN: No, that’s not what I’m asking for.

SHAPIRO: Why not? Don’t you care about the kids who are being killed in Chicago as much as the kids in Sandy Hook?

MORGAN: Yes, I do.

SHAPIRO: Then why don’t you care about banning the handguns in Chicago?

MORGAN: We’ll come to that.

Actually, Morgan never answers that question, as you can read from the transcript as well as watching from the video. He also never provides an answer as to why the assault-weapons ban in Connecticut didn’t stop the Newtown shooting — nor did Morgan ever provide a definition of “assault weapon.” That’s because Morgan has been talking out of his nether regions for the last several weeks on this topic, and Shapiro makes that pretty clear in the interview.

Finally, let’s give Morgan’s predecessor the last word. Larry King delivers a damning indictment of Morgan in an interview with the Huffington Post:

Larry King criticized Piers Morgan’s CNN show in an interview with HuffPost Live on Thursday.

It has been two years since Morgan took over King’s 9 p.m. time slot on CNN. Speaking to HuffPost Live’s Marc Lamont Hill, King pointed out that he and his successor have two very different approaches to their shows. “I never gave opinions,” King said. “Piers gives his opinions. The show is a lot about him as much as the guests… He’s so different from me.”

On the subject of cable news in general, King also lamented, “A lot of shows, they make it about the host and the guest becomes a prop to the host and I never liked that.”

“It’s not the quality that counts anymore,” he continued. “It’s how loud did you yell, how vituperative can you be.”

And how ignorant you can be while doing so.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Seriously Piers Morgan gives Eurotrash a bad name. And let’s not forget he doesn’t believe in the First Amendment of that “little book” either- his people were hacking personal e-mail when he was working on the other side of the pond.

Happy Nomad on January 11, 2013 at 8:13 AM

..not to bag on you at all, but one wonders if we just ignored Morgan mighten he just dry up and blow away like some dessicated cow turd?

On another topic, why oh why do we give a flying flip about Jennifer and Gustavo and their wedding. Oh wait! The epic storm was worth the price of admission!

The War Planner on January 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I’m no Truther by any means, but Alex Jones did a way better job. You can’t try to use reason with these people. They are completely unreasonable. The only thing they understand is superior strength. Ben should have b*tch-slapped that pompous windbag. (Figuratively speaking, of course ; ) ).

WhatSlushfund on January 11, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Agreed

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Bishop on January 11, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Its the next box to check off.

When that doesn’t magically end gun crime, it will be off to the next step.

It’s also kind of hard to argue against, until the feds decide to inspect how you secure your firearms. One of those “common sense” regulations the leftys are always squawking about.

Those cheesy locks that come with new firearms purchases are neat in a “how it works” sort of way though.

cozmo on January 11, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Ted Turner would be spinning in his grave if he could see what has happened to CNN. ;0

What?! Ted Turner died?! Turner is a liberal; he sees and he doesn’t care.

Happy Nomad on January 11, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Piers Morgan gives everything a bad name. Mostly, he represents the leftist totalitarian/authoritarian worldview. Shapiro did better than Jones–whose arguments, I will point out were 100% correct–but even Shapiro didn’t knock it out of the park here, in my opinion. Shapiro maintained his composure in the face of Morgan’s particularly pathetic brand of demogoguery, exploitation of victims to push diktats that would never have saved those victims in the first place.

What is so vile about Piers Morgan is that he is actually trashing the US Constitution without shame.

mountainaires on January 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM

No it isn’t you moron. Otherwise I could have that sweet RPG launcher I want.

Happy Nomad on January 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM

You can.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I see Dante saying that we need to keep further infringement from happening. The government has already slowly nibbled away at the edges…

Hill60 on January 11, 2013 at 9:47 AM

No it isn’t you moron. Otherwise I could have that sweet RPG launcher I want.

Happy Nomad on January 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM

You can.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 9:57 AM

You were sayin’?

cozmo on January 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM

What?! Ted Turner died?!

mountainaires on January 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM

He did, but no one told him. I’m not sure what he charges to haunt a house.

RadClown on January 11, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I hate to say it, but as hard as Shapiro tried, he dropped the ball throughout this “discussion.”
. . . . . why did he let Piers get away with this “Why do people NEED AR-15s?” crap? It has nothing to do with NEED you d-bag. We WANT them, and we live (at least for now, sort of) in a FREE COUNTRY. That’s all that matters.

WhatSlushfund on January 11, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I agree with you in spirit, but the Second Amendment EXISTS because the Founding Fathers saw a “need”.

Civilian semi-auto models of military rifles with military capacity magazines are the best current fulfillment of that need.

Most commenters on HA could have done a better job.

WhatSlushfund on January 11, 2013 at 9:35 AM

( b l u s h ) . . . . . . . . . . thank you. : )

listens2glenn on January 11, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Happy Nomad on January 11, 2013 at 9:21 AM

His ignorance is funny though, in a nutball sort of way.

cozmo on January 11, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Dante is many times more knowledgeable about the Constitution and liberty than you two fools will ever be. Do you actually read what you write? Your arguments are kindergardenish at best. “Nutball”, “ignorance”, and every other kindergarden term you can think of? Really? Hey Dante, they’re just pissed because they (as well as most commenters on HA, including the writers) are tools of the GOP incapable of thinking for themselves. You were for Ron Paul (as was I) and they probably voted for the liberal clown Romney and it makes them feel better to bash people that actually know what liberty is.

air_up_there on January 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I don’t care what any so-called representative of gun rights says. I’m my own and best advocate of myself. Though is is fun to see some smug liberal from another country smacked down.

Morgan is a criminal, and the Brits hate him so much they don’t want him back. So we’re stuck with him; Montezuma’s Revenge from London.

Let’s say this together, friends: “You’re not getting our guns.”

Liam on January 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Exactly how did Ronald Reagan sign the letter against “assault weapons,” in 1994, the year he announced he had Alzheimer’s?

flyoverland on January 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM

air_up_there on January 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Are you his sockpuppet, or do you just have a crush?

kingsjester on January 11, 2013 at 10:05 AM

air_up_there on January 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Get a room, will ya.

Jabberwock on January 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM

air_up_there on January 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Are you his sockpuppet, or do you just have a crush?

kingsjester on January 11, 2013 at 10:05 AM

He’s a liberal. That explains everything we need to know.

Liam on January 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Securing your guns against misuse or theft is not an infringement on your right to keep and bear arms. Jabberwock on January 11, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Uh, yes it is. It prescribes how one may keep his arms.

Less importantly, a law e.g. that mandates trigger locks could result in home invaders gaining valuable seconds to advance as the owner fumbles with the lock.

Akzed on January 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM

In response to the Reagan quote:

REAGAN ALSO SAID WE ARE ALWAYS ONE GENERATION FROM LOSING OUR FREEDOM!

stenwin77 on January 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM

air_up_there on January 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Are you his sockpuppet, or do you just have a crush?

kingsjester on January 11, 2013 at 10:05 AM

You can always be counted on to post a very insightful post. You can also be grouped in with Noman and cozmo.

air_up_there on January 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM

air_up_there on January 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Yes dear, too bad there is no oxygen up there.

cozmo on January 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM

When you use the force of government to criminalize not locking up your firearms, it is an infringement. What happens if a law is passed and I am found to have broken it? Government agents forcefully enter my home, detain and arrest me, incarcerate me, seize my person and property, and seize my money in fines, etc.

It is MY right to be secure in my home. How are you going to enforce this law without violating the 4th Amendment? It’s not the government’s business.

[Dante on January 11, 2013 at 8:48 AM]

This is true. I don’t have an argument with that on it’s face.

Here’s what you left out, though, Dante. You have an obligation along with that right and that is in exercising that right you must take care not to infringe on others’ rights in the process. Let’s say you are still a-okay with that; that in your exercise of it there are never conditions where that obligation is not met.

That may not be so with respect to many other citizens, like, the SH shooter’s mother, to take a hypothetical (I don’t know whether she met the obligation or not) example. How would you address the issue of those who don’t? I ask that because you, like everyone else, has an obligation to address it.

I’m not using your comment to put you on the spot. I’m using it to show an aspect of how we’re talking past each other. I’m against proposals for a law requiring all guns should be locked up in safes, for the reason you point out. I am, however, sympathetic to making it clear that the obligation to keep guns out of the hands of your mentally ill son who lives with you has to meet some minimum standard and that is done by promulgating a law, I guess, so that the standard is clear for everyone.

Where I see the bigger problem with being able to find a solution resides in the argument about David Gregory’s violation of the DC gun law, and Ed Morrissey explained the problem well in his last post on that subject, his core point being intent, or rather, discretion in the application of the law based on circumstances.

Dusty on January 11, 2013 at 10:12 AM

air_up_there on January 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Are you his sockpuppet, or do you just have a crush?

kingsjester on January 11, 2013 at 10:05 AM

He’s a liberal. That explains everything we need to know.

Liam on January 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM

If I’m a liberal, I’m definitely on the right page. By the way, could you provide proof that I’m a liberal or better yet anything even suggesting it?

air_up_there on January 11, 2013 at 10:13 AM

You can always be counted on to post a very insightful post.

air_up_there on January 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM

As opposed to the idiotic drivel the likes of you, dante, keep-the-change and other morons post?

cozmo on January 11, 2013 at 10:14 AM

When Morgan pulled out the Reagan quote about the 90′s assault weapon ban Shapiro should have immediately said that Reagan was wrong and that statistics and analysis show that the ban had no affect on crime. We’ve already tried this and it didn’t work.

gwelf on January 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Thank You.
Unfortunately, what passes for Breitbart dot com these days is but a shadow of its founder. They sent a wimpy, clueless, bubble-boy to defend that which he knows nothing about. Hell, The Nuge is a better spokesman than the man-child Shapiro.
There’s a reason that 40+ years later I can still break down and re-assemble, in well under a minute, an M-16 (AR-15) while blindfolded.
Yo, Benny, have ever even fired one? No? I didn’t think so. Move over Benny, there are many real men much more qualified than you to explain the details.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM

This is one messed up page.

Bmore on January 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM

air_up_there on January 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Dante and I, and apparently you and I as well, have a fundamental disagreement. Dante believes that the constitution is wholly inadequate, while I believe that assertion can not be made while we fail to follow it as a nation. These opinions are so diametrically opposed as to not be worth debating as far as I’m concerned. We have no hope of being able to change each other’s minds, so Dante is little more than a fly in the ointment to me now. He’s only brilliant to his fellow anarcho-capitalists.

gryphon202 on January 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM

air_up_there on January 11, 2013 at 10:13 AM

You blast in here with insults like a typical troll. My evidence is your worst nightmare: YOU. You came in her somehow, with willful intent to just start fights. Typical troll, all too common.

My evidence is YOU. But I’m just one guy. The community here, and your responses to them, will be the final arbiter.

If I’m proven wrong about calling you a liberal at a later time, I will apologize to you, here and in public.

Liam on January 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM

This is one messed up page.

Bmore on January 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Everything in the Universe works fine until liberals impose themselves.

Liam on January 11, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Liam on January 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between the idiot, tinfoil hat wearing, Art Bell worshipers and liberal plants.

cozmo on January 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM

stupid interview. Ben basically agreed that guns need to be regalted. Said it was the mother’s fault for her son getting the gun that he killed the kids with.

if this is what the right considers a good debate we are so screwed.

unseen on January 11, 2013 at 10:22 AM

What?! Ted Turner died?!

mountainaires on January 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM

He did, but no one told him. I’m not sure what he charges to haunt a house.

RadClown on January 11, 2013 at 10:01 AM

: )

listens2glenn on January 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM

gryphon202 on January 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Thanks for a thoughtful response and not an opportunity to insert as many “ignorants”, “idiotic drivels”, “stupids”, and the likes as you can.

air_up_there on January 11, 2013 at 10:26 AM

if this is what the right considers a good debate we are so screwed.

unseen on January 11, 2013 at 10:22 AM

The second amendment reads, in part:

…the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

It is not “…the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed except for those who do not hunt.”

It is not “…the right of the people who need guns of a certain size and lethality to keep and bear them shall not be infringed.”

It is not “…the right of the people who do not live with the mentally deranged and/or potentially violent to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”

I think Shaprio dropped the ball here. Accept the left’s initial premise, and it’s only a matter of time before you get swept up in a wave of tyranny as you find yourself advocating for things you swore up-and-down you were against.

gryphon202 on January 11, 2013 at 10:26 AM

listens2glenn on January 11, 2013 at 10:02 AM

You’re making a good, logical and fact-based point. But, again, good points are wasted on libs. We cannot give them an inch. I’m not trying to be extreme. Believe me, if you met me in person, I’d strike you as the most laid-back person you’d ever met. But Jones had the right posture. That’s what I was trying to convey. Libs don’t care one way or the other about what the Founders were thinking. If we play that game, we will lose. Libs want the Constitution and the US destroyed. Period. The only way to counter that is to over-compensate and be ruthlessly aggressive. And to stand unequivocally for freedom.

WhatSlushfund on January 11, 2013 at 10:27 AM

air_up_there on January 11, 2013 at 10:26 AM

You are quite welcome.

gryphon202 on January 11, 2013 at 10:30 AM

MeanWhile…………………..

Piers Morgan staying in America ‘on the President’s orders’
Jan 10 2013
************

canopfor on January 11, 2013 at 10:31 AM

WhatSlushfund on January 11, 2013 at 10:27 AM

You left something out, Butch. Republicans have all but given up the fight. We don’t need a nutjob like Alex Jones to be the face of the conservative movement. You may be okay with that; I’m not.

gryphon202 on January 11, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Uh, yes it is. It prescribes how one may keep his arms.

Akzed on January 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Keeping the weapon is different than bearing it.

This is getting to the “nitty/gritty” of the subject. But, after glancing at Heller, that is what counts.
Frankly, I thought my comment would be challenged at the “Bear” part as undue security would result in your correct scenario.
That is, the security of the weapon would infringe upon one’s ability to bear it.

By the way, I am all in on the 2nd. Past couple of weeks I’ve been thinking of ways the grabbers will attack it. This is something that came to mind.
Thanks for the challenge.

Jabberwock on January 11, 2013 at 10:35 AM

cozmo on January 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Yes! I think I woke in a bad mood, and have no patience at all.

The criminal Piers Morgan needs to be taken off the air, and trolls need to be shut down if not outright banned by popular opinion here. I’m just sick of them all, and it’s coming out right now.

Liam on January 11, 2013 at 10:35 AM

air_up_there on January 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Your tin foil hat’s askew.

kingsjester on January 11, 2013 at 10:37 AM

In an epic fail argument Morgan demonstrated how easy it is to obtain 6 boxes of Sudafed…

SondraK on January 11, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Too funny! Piers looked tired and miffed at the end. Wonder if Stein will ever make it back on his program. While I don’t agree with all of Stein’s positions, I think thatshow was one of the better and more informative on the gun control topic mainly because of Shapiro. The discussion of the true intent of the 2nd ammendment, ie, the right of free citizens to protect themselves against a tyrannical government, is rarely mentioned even by conservatives. If government were tuned into their citizens, they could tell one level of satisfaction citizens have with government is how many guns are currently being bought by the citizenry.

Charm on January 11, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Liam on January 11, 2013 at 10:35 AM

That’s the kind of thing liberals do. All the while claiming differently.

Let the nutballs rant. Let them defend their idiotic positions and let the reader decide. The folks here are smarter than liberals and can make up their own minds.

The nutballs can have their hive mentality and we can make fun of it.

cozmo on January 11, 2013 at 10:40 AM

…the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Thats the important word.
You can’t start nibbling around the fringes of the right.

Mimzey on January 11, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Its bad enough that liberals and moderates project government failure onto law abiding citizens, its several times more despicable that Morgan and many other so called journalists help them with the lie.

If we simply did away with the highway patrol allowing bad actors to do their worst that would be akin to gun free zones.

Speakup on January 11, 2013 at 10:41 AM

cozmo on January 11, 2013 at 10:40 AM

And, we do.

kingsjester on January 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Dusty on January 11, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I have no obligation to address anything.

Who gets to decide and define mentally ill? How are you going to enforce this law and standard?

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 10:46 AM

The left has lost its ability to reason or have rational discourse/argument. Every “argument” consists of fallacy layered upon fallacy. Our schools have faid to teach their pupils how to reason, turning out “graduates” who are nothing more than lemmings. The irony is that it is these very same people who are the self proclaimed “elites.”

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.

– Thomas Paine

besser tot als rot on January 11, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I have no obligation to address anything.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 10:46 AM

A man in full.

Jabberwock on January 11, 2013 at 10:48 AM

if this is what the right considers a good debate we are so screwed.

unseen on January 11, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Exactly.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Uh, yes it is. It prescribes how one may keep his arms.

Akzed on January 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM

What’s really frustrating is how the comparison between auto insurance and health insurance was rammed down our throats to justify Obamacare. Yet, now no one wants to listen to the comparison of the dangers of cars compared to guns. For some reason, I’m supposed to allow the government to tell me how to “secure” my gun, but I can freely leave my keys out in the open where any of my kids could get access–but the don’t because I have taught them responsibility and boundaries.

Nutstuyu on January 11, 2013 at 10:49 AM

For me, the most powerful point in the discussion was this line

SHAPIRO: I fear the possibility of a tyranny rising in the country in the next 50 to 100 years. Let me tell you something, Piers. The fact that my grandparents and great-grandparents in Europe didn’t fear that is why they’re now ashes in Europe. This kind of leftist revisionist history where there’s no fear of democracy going userpatious or tyrannical, is just that. It’s fictitious.

kurtzz3 on January 11, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I must apologize if this has already been brought up,
I believe the first step in deterring School shootings, Mall Shootings etc. would be to create a law that would prohibit the Media/ Police from publicizing the assailants name. I believe most of these acts occur so the assailant can have his / her name in the history books.
The police should announce the name of such assailants as “Assailant x” or “Assailant 1″. This law should carry with it a mandatory 2 year sentence for the first Media personality to announce the name of the assailant and 1 yr sentence for every other personality that repeats it. For the stations that run a banner across the bottom of the screen with the name, the executive producer should be imprisoned for 1 year.

Possibly, if someone wishes to make a name for themselves they may see this as a dead end.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Guest1.1 on January 11, 2013 at 10:50 AM

WhatSlushfund on January 11, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Clarification: libs want the Constitution destroyed while maintaing a centralized government over the 50 sovereign states.

Some wish the Constitution to be destroyed, or rather the Union dissolved, because it doesn’t go far enough in restricting federal government.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 10:52 AM

The nutballs can have their hive mentality and we can make fun of it.

cozmo on January 11, 2013 at 10:40 AM

But it just becomes so boring! How can we advance being bogged down by such people?

Liberals are so 19th Century. They weigh down American advancement, even the enhancement of all humanity. I find absolutely no purpose, place, or point of liberals, or of suffering them.

Liberals are, realistically, worthless and useless, detrimental, even, to the advancement of Man.

Liam on January 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM

listens2glenn on January 11, 2013 at 10:02 AM

WhatSlushfund on January 11, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I certainly didn’t think you were (or are) “extreme”.

Except for his “9/11 truther” beliefs, Alex Jones did fine by me.

I agree with you that “Libs want the Constitution and the US destroyed. Period.”
But the real “shadow government powers that be” want someting much bigger, and the United States stands in the way.

I disagree (I think) with you on “over-compensating”.
I’m not trying to change liberal’s minds on anything, because I don’t believe their minds can be changed.
But there are plenty of “on the fence” people who read this blog (but aren’t comment-posting members), and I believe the Constitutional argument on the Founding Father’s intent is the best way to convince sober-minded people to come over to our side.

I’m going to have to leave this computer for about 90 minutes, but “I shall return”.

listens2glenn on January 11, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Of course, I could be wrong.

Guest1.1 on January 11, 2013 at 10:50 AM

That would be an infringement of the First Amendment.

Why do you want to use the force of government and lock people up for something you don’t like, especially for something in which there is no victim?

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 10:55 AM

That would be an infringement of the First Amendment.

Why do you liberals want to use the force of government and lock people up for something you they don’t like, especially for something in which there is no victim?

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Making you honest for once.

Liam on January 11, 2013 at 10:58 AM

The biggest “take away” I got from the interview was that Morgan, a Britisher, European, seemed to not understand tyrrany.

Seriously.

PS. Ben kicked his ass.

Tater Salad on January 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM

gryphon202 on January 11, 2013 at 10:32 AM

You left a bunch of things out, Butch. (Sorry, wrong vowel.) I already said earlier in the thread that I wasn’t a Truther. I’ve said in one of the original threads about this that I didn’t even know who the guy was until HA posted his Piers Morgan interview. Nowhere will you find me saying that I think that he should be the “face of the conservative movement,” whatever that means. All I said was that in that particular performance vis a vis Piers Morgan he conducted himself the way we all need to be conducting ourselves in such situations. And since you seem to think Republicans have “all but given up the fight” (though I’d say the “all but” should be stricken), then you should logically be supporting my position that we need to be taking a more aggressive stance. Say what you want to about Jones, but he delivered some serious business to that slimebag Piers. Now if only someone would do it to Maddow, Stewart, and all the other Obama soldiers, we’d maybe be getting some traction.

WhatSlushfund on January 11, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I would not be trying to lock up people for something I do not like, I would be trying to lock up people that assist in sensationalizing mass murder and giving the murderer recognition for his feat. My feelings are that no possibility of recognition for the act, may deter future acts. And yes there are victims. Everyone of the people killed so the murderer will be remembered by name.
I believe the only exception would have been the guy on the grassy knoll… if in fact he did exist.

Guest1.1 on January 11, 2013 at 11:05 AM

ROTFLMFAO!!

One imported, Leftist, smug, self-important, UK-douchebag SPANKED HARD.

Well done Mr. Shapiro.

Tim_CA on January 11, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Turner is a liberal; he sees and he doesn’t care.

Ted Turner’s bashed his own network quite epically since he left. He had the same complaints as Larry King and also awesomely hit the network for all those useless “chickies” (his word) that look hot but fail as journalists.

Turner and King are old school liberals, “paleoliberals”. They are leftist but believe in things like fairness and integrity. They would’ve thought Ben Shaprio deserves to have his voice heard even if they think he’s wrong.

Piers, Soledad, etc. are the “new left” (or at least new in America). They just embrace the radical left’s belief of destroying the opposition at all costs, with the usual bromides to justify it (“Ends justify the means”, “greater good”, “sometimes there’s only one side to a story”, etc.)

smiley on January 11, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Seriously.

PS. Ben kicked his ass.

Tater Salad on January 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Euros understand tyranny very well. What they resent most about it is that we Americans won’t readily allow it.

Liam on January 11, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Ben won the way we should be winning, not yelling the loudest, but by winning the argument and making the Left look stupid. An un-idealistic, non-news oriented person would have come away from that interview thinking Ben won and Morgan looked ill informed.

Tater Salad on January 11, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Guest1.1 on January 11, 2013 at 11:05 AM

You are not for locking people up for something you don’t like? But that is exactly what you proposed, regardless of how you try to frame it.

The part about there being no victim went right over your head. You want to criminalize an act and lock people up for which there is no victim.

Regardless, you are proposing government force against your fellow man and proposing government infringement of the First Amendment.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Before the Nazi’s did the night of broken glass they disarmed the jews.

Any questions?

when the storm troppers come would you rather have a handgun or a fully automatic “assualt rifle”?

Just saying.

unseen on January 11, 2013 at 11:11 AM

The irony of a Brit Bully trying to take away American guns is positively delicious…

but I’m sure it’s lost on this pompous , vapid a-hole.

Tim_CA on January 11, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I’m no Truther by any means, but Alex Jones did a way better job. …
WhatSlushfund on January 11, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Agreed

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM

You both are effing nuts.

CW on January 11, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Tater Salad on January 11, 2013 at 11:09 AM

He didnt win anything. He agreed that there should be laws restricting firearms ownership and government registries. His arugment was the same as any other statist. It certainly wasn’t a pro-liberty or pro-Constitution argument. But I’m sure he thinks he won because he brought a Constitution with him and called Morgan a bully.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Say what you want to about Jones, but he delivered some serious business to that slimebag Piers. …
WhatSlushfund on January 11, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Actually he came off like the nutter he is. Now the left is already using Jones to smear conservatives . Loser.

CW on January 11, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Turner and King are old school liberals, “paleoliberals”.

smiley on January 11, 2013 at 11:08 AM

lol…I like it.

Tim_CA on January 11, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 11:12 AM

One thing for sure. Your boy (jones) lost. You’re delusional.

CW on January 11, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I assue that Ben’s “Bulies” book will have at least one chapter dedicted to one of the biggest rule by intimidation bullies of all times: Chris Christie!

Don L on January 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Tater Salad on January 11, 2013 at 11:09 AM

lol..and notice how Piers Moron had to modify his own behavior in the face of a calm, well-informed, well-spoken conservative.

Mr. Shapiro actually laughed at his leftist tactics…poor Piers looked shocked and deflated.

Tim_CA on January 11, 2013 at 11:20 AM

The same amount of damage could have been done with a couple of pistols and some extra mags. Not sure why they are obsessed with banning “assault” weapons. I guess it’s because they “look menacing”.

tommer74 on January 11, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Just saying.

unseen on January 11, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Well, we couolde throw one of those little brown Consitution books at them when they come with their assortewd hi–tech weaponry. The one that worked so well to protect 53 million innocent American lives since Row vs. Wade.

Don L on January 11, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Maybe my point sailed right over your head and I apologize, Let me approach it in a different way. Picking up with the Media. I believe the Media should be rewarded for not publicizing the murderers name. The end result would be the murderer s name would not be published. Which is the intent of my post.

Guest1.1 on January 11, 2013 at 11:23 AM

your little book

lol….NEVER going to forget that!

Tim_CA on January 11, 2013 at 11:24 AM

if this is what the right considers a good debate we are so screwed.

unseen on January 11, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Stupid comment.
You’re attack here is how the Alinskyite Liberal operates. Did Shapiro have a teleprompter with him ? Are you gonna hang on every word and parse every sentence this guy says? The mother comment was a small part
of this guy bitch slapping the arrogant Euro transplant.
MORE of THIS. Not Less.

Yes- the Mother- The Mother- bears a great deal of the responsibility here, if the fact that she was trying to get this kid “Committed” for psychological reasons is true, and she took no measure to keep HER guns from this kid. And Newsflash, Guns ARE regulated – not allowing Convicted Criminals to buy guns IS regulation- and necessary at that.

I don’t have the answers here- I know psychotropic drugs and guns do not mix however – but trashing this guy when HE IS BATTLING THE ENEMY- when no other Republican has the balls to attack the left like this guy does- and the PRAVDA MEDIA IS the enemy here- makes no sense.

Ich bin ein Breitbart.

FlaMurph on January 11, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Hint: “Foot in the door” and you do know they’re talking about a lot more than the old laughable law–including pump actions etc. Rest assured that when it comes out, it will have thousands of more pages, corners and crevasses, and legal gimmicks in it than Obamacare. These folks are not nice and they want your weapons laid down in surrender –one way or another.

Don L on January 11, 2013 at 11:25 AM

MORGAN: Just to clarify your position, then. The answer to Sandy Hook, as it was to Aurora, as it was to Gabrielle Giffords, as it was to Columbine and Virginia Tech is you do nothing. Is that your position?

SHAPIRO: That’s not my position. My position is that we have to calibrate laws that are designed to get guns out of the hands of bad people and keep guns in the hands of good people who want to buy them.

and Ben fails and Piers wins. the corrrect answer Ben is not to get the guns “out ofthe hands of bad people” because that is impossible. the correct answer Ben is to ensure that the more good people have guns to deter the bad people. Any law designed to get the “guns out of the hands of bad people” will also limit the amount and quality of the guns in the hands of the good people. Ben you are doing the right no favors with this interview. You basically agreed with Piers point by point the only disagreement you two had was how many and how tight the gun control laws should be.

You failed again here Ben:

SHAPIRO: I think one of the ways you do that is better screening for mental illness, I think that you do better background checks.

MORGAN: Was Adam Lanza’s mother a good person?

SHAPIRO: I don’t know if she was a good person or a bad person. I know she was irresponsible with her guns.

How do you know she was “irresponible”? How do you know that her son just wasn’t smarter than her. If that is the case you could lock up all the guns and it wouldn’t have changed the outcome. Also you fall for the left’s spin once again. That is is the government who should be the person sayinf who should and who should not be able to get a gun. Who does the background checks ben? Who says what is mental illness and what isn’t? Who should have the power to deprive you of the right to be able to have a gun ben?

and strike three:

MORGAN: Do you believe if you had an assault weapon ban, statistics prove you could dry out the supply of these guns and make them less accessible to criminals?

SHAPIRO: I don’t know whether you could make them less accessible to criminals. Let’s assume that’s the case, that you could make them less accessible to criminals. Again, my question still remains for you, Piers, and I’m still waiting for an answer from the left on this. They say they’re pro-second amendment, why don’t you want to ban handguns? If you really want to solve “gun violence” problem, if weapon problem, go after all the guns. Why just stop yourself at assault rifles?

You missed an easy throw up the center Ben. The correct answer is if you have an assulat weapons ban then the only people that will have assult weapons whatever that is would be the crinmals. I understand you were trying to make Piers admit he was a gun grabber and wouldn’t be happen until a complete ban was in place but you failed to rebute his argument for a ban on guns.

Like I said before if this is the type of debate the “right” considers great then we are so screwed….

unseen on January 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Liam on January 11, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Get a Grip.
Destroying the FIRST Amendment in order to defend gun owners, er, ALL American’s SECOND Amendment is a fool’s errand.
Let the Brit spew his hatred and ignorance as Muzzies take over HIS socialist country.
LMAO …
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Not impressed. If he’s going to lead with an ad hominem that Morgan is standing on the graves of children, then he should keep at it in an attempt to set Morgan off, otherwise it just looked like a cheap shop and allowed Morgan to play the victim.

He also seemed willing to capitulate on a national database, only referenced the true reason for the second amendment instead of reading it straight from the Federalist Papers as he should have, and never went back and refuted Morgan’s crime statistics during the Alex Jones interview (The UK is the number one most violent country in the EU).

He also allowed Morgan to lead him on despite having seen this tactic numerous times in previous interviews (what kind of gun was used in Aurora, what kind of gun was used in Oregon, what kind of gun was used in Newtown?); he should have stopped him short and told him to get to the point. Shapiro did not follow through on the fact that more hand guns are used in inner cities than so called assault rifles in gun deaths. It is interesting on how Morgan is completely dismissing gang related minority deaths while slipping into hysterics over white victims in Suburban towns.

Ronald Reagan had Alzheimers in 1994 and many Democrats supported lifting the Assault Weapons ban. What about the North Dakota Democrat Senator who called Obama’s gun agenda extreme or Corey Booker’s labeling of this gun debate as a “false argument”? He couldn’t effectively bring those up because he has already dug himself a hole by turning this into a left vs right debate which he should have never done (even if gun rights are increasingly polarized as a left/right issue).

Morgan says an “assault rifle” can be modified, but fertilizer can be “modified” to be a bomb and that Sudafed stacked on Morgan’s table can be modified into speed.

Shapiro did ok, but this looks like a case of fellow bloggers patting each other on the back. The best interview by far was the one where Morgan flipped out and called his guest “a very stupid man”. Morgan, like Obama, is all about the rhetoric. Alex Jones probably had a more positive effect than Shapiro because he energized all those New World Order folks by going off on Morgan and his personal insults about Morgan being fired for publishing fake stories and fleeing the hacking scandal put Morgan’s credibility into question – that is what has to be done.

Jones looked completely unstable, but he was on the right track, you need to calmly tear apart Morgan’s personal credibility on his own show as well as his distorted statistics. Shapiro looked like Romney, a nice guy finishing last.

Has anyone brought up how Korean shop owners defended their property during the L.A. riots? The second amendment is there so we can defend ourselves against a potential tyrannical government, but it also comes in handy when we are faced with a corrupt and/or inept police force unwilling or unable to defend us.

Daemonocracy on January 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM

On the subject of cable news in general, King also lamented, “A lot of shows, they make it about the host and the guest becomes a prop to the host and I never liked that. It’s not the quality that counts anymore,” he continued. It’s how loud did you yell, how vituperative can you be.”

I’ve never been a big King fan but I’ll give props where they are due and he hit the nail right on the head there. He just described Morgan, Hannity, O’Reilley and every single show on MSNBC. It’s why I don’t watch any of the “news” shows anymore. They are all just the same revolving cast of talking heads screaming about the same issues night after night.

tommyboy on January 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM

unseen on January 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Exactly.
Having insulated bubble-boys like Shapiro debate with a bonafide Brit Leftist re: this issue is stupid beyond words – but not on the part of CNN. They suckered that Shapiro kid into playing right into their meme.
Andrew Breitbart is rolling over in his hallowed grave.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM

What we need are national talking points every gun rights advocate can repeat throughout interviews like a political strategist during a campaign. It’s the only way to control the message. The fact that gun crimes are at a 20 year low and most of the gun deaths are gang related needs to be one of those talking points. The message needs to be focused.

Daemonocracy on January 11, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Guest1.1 on January 11, 2013 at 11:23 AM

No, I understood your point perfectly. You said:

Now you’re trying to backpedal, and doing a poor job of it (and your backpedal still includes government intervention).

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Daemonocracy on January 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM

good point. Basically with the 2nd we don’t need the government unless there is a full scale invasion.

The more the citizens are armed the more polite a soicety becomes.

unseen on January 11, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Stop the f*ing autoplay.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Shame I can’t do the bitterness and accent.

IlikedAUH2O on January 11, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Ich bin ein Breitbart.

FlaMurph on January 11, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Seriously.

PS. Ben kicked his ass.

Tater Salad on January 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM

AUH2O — A right wing mailer carried this, just today:

Russian Warns Americans: ‘Don’t Give Up Your Guns!’

Read more: http://politicaloutcast.com/2013/01/russian-warns-americans-dont-give-up-your-guns/#ixzz2HgaDKuAQ

IlikedAUH2O on January 11, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Get a Grip.
LMAO …
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I just want them to either shut up for once, or be put in a place where we are less forced to listen to them. I have heard their drivel for a long time, it’s always the same thing. At this point, they’re just nagging.

And I don’t do well with nags. :-)

Liam on January 11, 2013 at 11:41 AM

FlaMurph on January 11, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Are we sure she “took no measure” here? The kid did kill her when taking the guns.

Alberta_Patriot on January 11, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Stupid comment.
of this guy bitch slapping the arrogant Euro transplant.
MORE of THIS. Not Less.

Ich bin ein Breitbart.

FlaMurph on January 11, 2013 at 11:24 AM

You are in no position to call anyone’s opinion or comments stupid.

What part of “… the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed” do you not understand? Shapiro said that it should be law for everyone to have their arms locked and secured. He said he agreed with registries as long as the public can’t access it.

That’s not “battling the enemy”.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 11:44 AM

unseen on January 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM

and everythign you said is right on the money. Shapiro tried to get cute in making Morgan look like a gun grabber, but he was on Morgan’s turf where Morgan controlled the line of questioning. I almost get the sense that Shapiro doesn’t fully understand the gun rights movement, that the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with the gun.

Daemonocracy on January 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Daemonocracy on January 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM

That’s exactly what it is.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Stop the f*ing autoplay.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 11:37 AM

So you are in favor of control…when its suits you.

cozmo on January 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Stop the f*ing autoplay.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Drives me friggin’ nuts.

every damn refresh I’ve got an ad screaming in my ear.

Tim_CA on January 11, 2013 at 11:47 AM

So you are in favor of control…when its suits you.

cozmo on January 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I’d like a little control too…this autoplay sh!t really grates.

Tim_CA on January 11, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I sent a simple one sentence email to CNN: “Why does Piers Morgan still have a job there?”

Well the answer is obvious. As Morgan pontificates and grows more controversial, the ratings on his moribund show are rising. Cha Ching for CNN. Sooooo….. assume that Morgan is being tooled as a useful idiot to raise ratings, not contribute to a rational discussion of issues.

It’s the American Way.

kens on January 11, 2013 at 11:49 AM

That’s why I leave my computer audio off.

kingsjester on January 11, 2013 at 11:49 AM