Video: Piers Morgan discovers Ben Shapiro isn’t Alex Jones

posted at 8:01 am on January 11, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Duane hit this in the Green Room, but I want to note a few passages from the appearance of Breitbart’s Ben Shapiro on CNN with Piers Morgan last night. First, Ben calls out Morgan for acting like a bully to his guests and an activist rather than a journalist, a theme that fits nicely with Ben’s new book, Bullies: How the Left’s Culture of Fear and Intimidation Silences Americans. Ben told me on Wednesday’s TEMS that he was relishing the confrontation — and you can see why:

BEN SHAPIRO, EDITOR BREITBART.COM: You know, honestly Piers, you have kind of been a bully on this issue, because what you do, and I’ve seen it repeatedly on your show. I watch your show. And I’ve seen it repeatedly. What you tend to do is you tend to demonize people who differ from you politically by standing on the graves of the children of Sandy Hook saying they don’t seem to care enough about the dead kids. If they cared more about the dead kids, they would agree with you on policy. I think we can have a rational, political conversation about balancing rights and risks and rewards of all of these different policies, but I don’t think that what we need to do is demonize people on the other side as being unfeeling about what happened at Sandy Hook.

MORGAN: How dare you accuse me of standing on the graves of the children that died there. How dare you.

SHAPIRO: I’ve seen you do it repeatedly, Piers.

MORGAN: Like I say, how dare you.

SHAPIRO: Well, I mean, you can keep saying that, but you’ve done it repeatedly. What you do, and I’ve seen you do it on your program, is you keep saying to folks if they disagree with you politically, then somehow this is a violation of what happened in Sandy Hook. And you, I would really like to hear your policy prescriptions for what we should do about guns because you say you respect the second amendment. You know, I brought this here for you so you can read it. It’s the Constitution. And I would really like for you to explain to me what you would do about guns that would have prevented what happened in Sandy Hook. If you want to do what you did in the U.K., right, which is ban virtually all guns, that is at least a fair argument and we can have a discussion about whether that’s something that we ought to do or not.

Shapiro was also prepared to fight back when Morgan brings up “assault weapons” a couple of moments later:

MORGAN: They want to take away assault weapons, which are capable with magazines that we saw in Aurora and Sandy hook, of unleashing a ridiculous amount of —

SHAPRIO: This is what I wanted to ask you, Piers, because I have seen you talk about assault weapons a lot, and I have seen Mark Kelly talk about assault weapons. The vast majority of murders in this country that are committed with guns are committed with handguns, they are not committed assault weapons. Are you willing to ban handguns in this country, across this country?

MORGAN: No, that’s not what I’m asking for.

SHAPIRO: Why not? Don’t you care about the kids who are being killed in Chicago as much as the kids in Sandy Hook?

MORGAN: Yes, I do.

SHAPIRO: Then why don’t you care about banning the handguns in Chicago?

MORGAN: We’ll come to that.

Actually, Morgan never answers that question, as you can read from the transcript as well as watching from the video. He also never provides an answer as to why the assault-weapons ban in Connecticut didn’t stop the Newtown shooting — nor did Morgan ever provide a definition of “assault weapon.” That’s because Morgan has been talking out of his nether regions for the last several weeks on this topic, and Shapiro makes that pretty clear in the interview.

Finally, let’s give Morgan’s predecessor the last word. Larry King delivers a damning indictment of Morgan in an interview with the Huffington Post:

Larry King criticized Piers Morgan’s CNN show in an interview with HuffPost Live on Thursday.

It has been two years since Morgan took over King’s 9 p.m. time slot on CNN. Speaking to HuffPost Live’s Marc Lamont Hill, King pointed out that he and his successor have two very different approaches to their shows. “I never gave opinions,” King said. “Piers gives his opinions. The show is a lot about him as much as the guests… He’s so different from me.”

On the subject of cable news in general, King also lamented, “A lot of shows, they make it about the host and the guest becomes a prop to the host and I never liked that.”

“It’s not the quality that counts anymore,” he continued. “It’s how loud did you yell, how vituperative can you be.”

And how ignorant you can be while doing so.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Too bad nobody watches CNN.

fossten on January 11, 2013 at 8:04 AM

“Like I say, how dare you.”

Oh wow, he said it twice. Now THAT’S ballsy.

fossten on January 11, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Don’t even try to get back up Piers.

forest on January 11, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Shapiro handles himself as we’ll as you can, given the format. But it won’t make a difference. In the New America, emotion > reality.

JDF123 on January 11, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Ted Turner would be spinning in his grave if he could see what has happened to CNN. ;0

Seriously Piers Morgan gives Eurotrash a bad name. And let’s not forget he doesn’t believe in the First Amendment of that “little book” either- his people were hacking personal e-mail when he was working on the other side of the pond.

Happy Nomad on January 11, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Well*

JDF123 on January 11, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Psst…Ben…I see what you were trying to do but for heaven’s sake DON’T GIVE THEM ANY IDEAS. Shut up about the freaking handguns or they’ll ban those too.

mrsknightley on January 11, 2013 at 8:14 AM

How dare you is the last refuge of Eurotrash morons who can’t hold their own in a debate. Andrew Breitbart would be smiling.

Happy Nomad on January 11, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Go Ben

Kudos

cmsinaz on January 11, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Too bad nobody watches CNN.

fossten on January 11, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Except us poor basta*ds trapped in airports from time to time…it’s positively inhumane to have that on every screen when I can’t escape…

Tim Zank on January 11, 2013 at 8:17 AM

mrsknightley on January 11, 2013 at 8:14 AM

I disagree. We all know that’s the real endgame of the left, so let’s just put it out there and debate that. They keep saying they want an honest, open discussion about gun laws, so let’s have it.

Doughboy on January 11, 2013 at 8:18 AM

“How dare you”

I read that in Piers’ voice.

22044 on January 11, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Ben should have immediately pointed out that Gabby Giffords and all those people around her were shot with a hand gun.

LoganSix on January 11, 2013 at 8:21 AM

The solution is simple. Who sponsors the show?

Find out, and tell them that as long as they support Mr. Morgan, you won’t buy their products. Point out that as he is a guest in this country, not a citizen, his use of free speech is a courtesy we extend to him as a guest. And that if he continues to use it to bully us over our “lack of enlightenment” by his exalted standards, we have the right not to patronize anyone who supports his harangues, boorishness, and general efforts to act like
Howard Beale in Paddy Chayefsky’s Network.

Personally, I think Chayefsky was unusually prescient. It seems like every news network wants its own “Mad Prophet of the Airways” today. (Yes, I’m looking at you, Alex Jones.)

But that doesn’t mean the viewers have to go along with the gag. In Morgan’s case, the solution is simple; tell his bosses and their sponsors we won’t buy their stuff until he stops ranting and behaving like a schoolyard bully.

Let him go back to England, where the government agrees with him. I’m sure the BBC has a chair already warmed up for him.

No, the British people don’t want him back, but then I wouldn’t drop Michael Moore on them, either. He’s our problem, not theirs.

Besides, when was the last time the Beeb, or any other part of the British government, gave a damn what the people over there thought about anything, anyway?

clear ether

eon

eon on January 11, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Happy Nomad on January 11, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Ted is still on the good side of the grass.

Rio Linda Refugee on January 11, 2013 at 8:23 AM

@Doughboy – I understand that. I just didn’t want that battle to come to a head until we have the ideological strength to win it – e.g., more sympathetic SCOTUS judges.

mrsknightley on January 11, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Morgan’s “your little book” comment will win him no favors as well.
We all know the President has some problems with it, but the vast majority of Americans tend to think of it as more than just a “little book”.
I am glad Shapriro called him out for the “dancing on the graves” thing. Difficult subject, but necessary to say it. Morgan was pissed, but had no defense aside from indignation.

Jabberwock on January 11, 2013 at 8:25 AM

I love that when Piers reads the letter from Ronald Reagan supporting an AWB Ben’s response is “So?”

Breitbart smiles.

Oh, and it turns out the kid who started shooting in the California high school yesterday has a history of loony behavior.

Naturally Curly on January 11, 2013 at 8:27 AM

So has Barry and Biden.

GarandFan on January 11, 2013 at 8:29 AM

When Morgan called Reagan a “right wing president” Shapiro should have started referring to Clinton & Obama as “left wing presidents”.

Morgan was the one who used the “standing on the graves” language first.

Blake on January 11, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I can eat a can of alphabet soup and crap a better argument than Piers…

PatriotRider on January 11, 2013 at 8:30 AM

This is going to get ugly, before everything is said and done.

kingsjester on January 11, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Thought I would convey a little story since I used to be a 1 issue voter and apparently will become one again. I once was pulled over for a tail light out and had my Baretta 9mm in my center console of my automobile unloaded but with ammo nearby (lived in not the best of neighborhoods in Atlanta). After an unapproved search of my vehicle weapon was discovered and I was arrested for having a concealed weapon because the law was that it had to be in the glovebox in that state to be legal. I was charged with a felony and given a $50,000 bond without any priors anywhere of any kind. While plead to a misdemeanor in traffic court the terms were my weapon would be destroyed. No matter after that was cleared up I went to buy myself a shiny new Baretta 9MM only to find out that somehow NICS had been updated and I was denied. Was it the ‘felony’ of carrying my own legal weapon in my own car that wasn’t even on the books as a felony and remained a local traffic violation? No it was due to something called the Lautenberg Act which NICS provided this information from ‘You or someone who looks like you, or someone with your distinguishing marks or features or someone who has been using your Social Security Number has been CONVICTED of a felony’…sufficiently vague and ambiguous but entirely within the laws they’ve constructed..This remains in place until this day. Believe that there are systemic/systematic ways that no FOIA or other lawsuit will ever discover that the left will implement to create criminals of each one of us who even own a firearm.

shortdawgdc on January 11, 2013 at 8:33 AM

So Shapiro goes on Morgan to defend the Second Amendment, and keeps telling Morgan to read it and to read the Constituiton.

Mr. Shapiro, perhaps YOU should read the Second Amendment:

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

before you go on saying stupid things like this:

SHAPIRO: She was an irresponsible person. She didn’t keep her gun locked up and that should be against the law. If you have a mentally ill person in your house — we’re talking about laws we can agree on. I don’t know why you’re disagreeing with me on this.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Shapiro is as clueless and “bent” as Morgan:

“Subsequently, Morgan accused Shapiro of wanting to “do
nothing” about mass shootings, to which Shapiro replied that his position was to improve background checks and screening for mental illness and criminal histories among potential gun owners and their households.”

Oh?
Sure. Now, just how will the gubmint manage that?

- criminal histories among potential gun owners
Already the “law”,

- and their households,
That is NOT Constitutional. You might want jack-booted thugs tossing YOUR house in the middle of the night to make sure that everyone there is “mentally healthy” – whatever THAT means,

- improve background checks,
Forget about it. It’s already being done,

- screening for mental illness,
Now THERE is the most clueless suggestion I have yet read. How is the gubmint going to do that – force every potential gun buyer to undergo a $1k (plus) psych. eval.? Ludicrous. (but come see me, I’ll give you a good rate *grin*)

OR … Do you want to provide the gubmint with unfettered access to your medical records and those of your family?

This entire sideshow is insane.
“Gun Owners of America: 38 Years of NO Compromise” … PERIOD!
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 11, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Ben Shapiro was golden.

bluegill on January 11, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Ed… You forgot the best part of the whole confrontation… Your little book.

Illinidiva on January 11, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Oof, I felt a hammer punch to my kidneys just reading that, talk about ending a narrative on the spot.

Bishop on January 11, 2013 at 8:37 AM

before you go on saying stupid things like this:

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Why?

Writing stupid stuff has never stopped you. Or, even slowed you down.

cozmo on January 11, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Agreed. It’s none of the gubmint’s damn business how I secure anything in my house.

I’ve seen their ideas for “securing” guns and it’s layer after layer of locks that keep me from accessing them without a crib sheet to remember how.

Bishop on January 11, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I can find some guests. I had a Russian tell me how Stalin worked. It was more chilling than any Hollywood plot. He was happy that their population got lots of AK-47 when the Soviets lost power.

IlikedAUH2O on January 11, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Every time Morgan made a statement about why an ordinary citizen needs an AR-15, reply with; “Why did an ordinary citizen need a musket in the 1770s? Oh, that’s right, to defeat your tiny little country.”

LoganSix on January 11, 2013 at 8:41 AM

The first thing Shapiro should have done is to make morgan define what he thinks an assault weapon is. That is a very loose term and it has a plethora of definitions. Shapiro gave up the argument when he agreed that an assault weapon was used in four mass shootings. Most people posting to HA don’t even know what the difference between semi-automatic and automatic weapons. You know = one trigger pull, one bullet. Heck, even a hammer is an assault weapon if you use it to pound someone’s head in. We have conflation of “assault” with “automatic” and almost none of the commenters and talking heads know the difference. It is really disappointing when the so-called spokespersons don’t know the differences.

Old Country Boy on January 11, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Ben Shapiro was golden.

bluegill on January 11, 2013 at 8:36 AM

He was terrible.

Shapiro: I think we can have a rational, political conversation about balancing rights and risks and rewards of all of these different policies, …

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 8:41 AM

This is going to get ugly, before everything is said and done.

kingsjester on January 11, 2013 at 8:33 AM

It’s already ugly considering we’ve got Bite Me talking openly about executive orders to limit gun ownership in this country. And let’s not forget the smear campaign against the NRA that’s been going on since the Newtown shooting, as if they personally armed that dude.

What we need is to force the left to be honest. I like what Shapiro did in this interview. He cited repeatedly how the left wants to ban guns and didn’t let Piers hide behind the BS claim that all they really want is to get rid of a few “assault weapons”. He also brilliantly called him out on his hypocrisy for not wanting to limit or ban handguns considering those are responsible for most of the shooting deaths in this country.

Doughboy on January 11, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Securing your guns against misuse or theft is not an infringement on your right to keep and bear arms.

Jabberwock on January 11, 2013 at 8:45 AM

It’s a good thing that Morgan doesn’t know the definition of “assault weapon” or he would have been able to counter Shapiro by pointing out that some handguns are assault weapons too. But then the education on the issue has never been the mark of a gun control zealot.

Rip Ford on January 11, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Mr. Morgan,

It’s a mental health issue, but we all know that’s not an issue the liberals want to address because it doesn’t advance their power-grab.

EB

EdmundBurke247 on January 11, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Shorter “Dante”:
Mom!
Mom!
Look at me!
Look.Look.
Look at me!
Moommmm!Look at me!
Pay attention to me !
Hey, somebody pay attention to meee!!!

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on January 11, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Lefties are getting exposed!

canopfor on January 11, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Jabberwock on January 11, 2013 at 8:45 AM

When you use the force of government to criminalize not locking up your firearms, it is an infringement. What happens if a law is passed and I am found to have broken it? Government agents forcefully enter my home, detain and arrest me, incarcerate me, seize my person and property, and seize my money in fines, etc.

It is MY right to be secure in my home. How are you going to enforce this law without violating the 4th Amendment? It’s not the government’s business.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Jabberwock on January 11, 2013 at 8:45 AM

According to dante the constitution is absolute and any thing to keep a person from having a thermonuclear device or 40 watt plasma rifle is an infringement. Or, keeping any person, natural born, or native born from having any weapon is an infringement.

cozmo on January 11, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Good job by Shapiro, but he’s missing one argument– what the heck is an “assault weapon?”

The gun used at Sandy Hook was not, according to the terms of the ban, an “assault weapon.” The definition used is based, in part, on cosmetic features of the weapon, and thus would not effectively stop people from having semi-automatic rifles. So, it would (as was the case for the 10 years when an assault rifle ban was in effect) have no impact. When it had no impact, the left (yes, dammit, the LEFT) would come for more of our guns.

An “assault weapons” ban is a measure which, from a violence-prevention perspective, is bound to be ineffective (and has already been shown to be such). The point is only to start taking weapons, until hypocrites like Feinstein can say “turn them all in.”

morganfrost on January 11, 2013 at 8:49 AM

LoganSix on January 11, 2013 at 8:41 AM

The answer is: it’s no one else’s damn business what someone else decides they want or need. This isn’t central planning.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on January 11, 2013 at 8:47 AM

He’s been flooding the threads all week.:)

kingsjester on January 11, 2013 at 8:50 AM

cozmo on January 11, 2013 at 8:48 AM

No, I’ve never said the Constitution is absolute. Obviously it contains means within itself for an amendment process.

But “shall not be infringed” is absolute.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Jabberwock Agreed. There is actually a strong case to be made that Nancy Lanza’s estate may bear civil liability if they can prove that she was aware that her son had severe mental issues and didn’t secure the guns. If you choose to own guns, it is your job to make sure that they are properly secured.

Illinidiva on January 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Me: “You want an assault weapon ban like Britain?”
Morgan: “Yes”
Me: “What type of weapon(s) did Derrick Bird use to kill 12 people in Cumbria England?”

Caper29 on January 11, 2013 at 8:53 AM

MeanWhile…………………

NRA President David Keene tells @todayshow he doesn’t think there will be a bill to ban assault weapons this year – @NBCNews

1 hour ago by editor
========================

Video:

canopfor on January 11, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Illinidiva on January 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM

That’s ridiculous.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 8:54 AM

But “shall not be infringed” is absolute.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Honey boo, with just what you have written here shows how much of a nutball you are.

Does shouting fire in a crowded theater violate the first amendment?

cozmo on January 11, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Ben’s response is “So?”

Breitbart smiles.

Naturally Curly on January 11, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Loved it.

Fallon on January 11, 2013 at 8:57 AM

When Morgan said “How dare you accuse me of standing on the graves…” Shapiro should have shot back with: “How dare you stand on those graves.”

Odysseus on January 11, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I will give just the condensed part of his challenge to me.

This is in a bar outside Moscow. He told me our right to bear amrs was our most precious right. The first part is keeping us from being invaded.

Then he did a long talk about strong people being brought to heel by a ruthless ruler.

The bad neighborhood part is all I have time to relate. So imagine a US suburban community. This neighborhood has been giving the new government a bad time with speaking out and even not cooperating about turning guns in and giving up resistance people. There had been no violence but the actions of the local resistance is a pain for the power structure. He gave examples, in propaganda, kids kept from education camps, failure to send money and other things, etc.

Well, a meeting is called in a park or courtyard area like where you have (4th of July but he didn’t know about that) picnics, parades or festivals. Troops and federal police are there but stay on the perimeter. People who arrive early brought their guns and some other items the gov’t wanted like gold and history or religious books.

After a talk about the crisis, the emergency and the wonderful future, it was opened up for discussion and questions and answers.

At the right time, a jeep with a heavy machine gun moved to an area that was kept clear of people. A family of at least four was taken to the area in plan sight of the crowd. The officers escorting them were friendly and professional.

After they settled there, they were lined up and the main leader looked at them telling everyone to look. The machine gun mowed them down.

This is the kicker; He then looked at me and barker in a thick Russian accent “What would you do?” “You big bad Americans, standing with your mothers and wives and kids..What do you do?”

Then blasting with my vodka spilling…”What? You have no guns! You have only some old revolvers hidden away!… What are you going to do?”

“I tell what you would do….NOTHING…YOU DO NOTHING!!!”

Shame I can do the bitterness and accent.

IlikedAUH2O on January 11, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Happy Nomad on January 11, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Ummm, Ted Turner is alive and well. Pretty sure he watches and and approves of CNN. He’s pretty liberal.

Curmudgeon on January 11, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Ben did a cool, objective interview with that self-righteous prig, Piers Morgan.

One point that Ben might have also made is that the mass killings that Morgan cites occured in proudly announced “gun-free” zones.

Morgan relies on the “authority” of Gabrielle Giffords and Mike Kelly but feels free to ignore spokesmen who can cite factual, not emotional, justifications.

Morgan also needs to be reminded that the ban he cites was overturned.

onlineanalyst on January 11, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Stop making Crank phone calls. Or blog posts, for that matter.

Jabberwock on January 11, 2013 at 8:59 AM

That’s ridiculous.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 8:54 AM

You are not very aware of your surroundings are you? Ridiculous judgments are handed down every day. Just because you disagree with them doesn’t mean that they don’t happen.

Rio Linda Refugee on January 11, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Does shouting fire in a crowded theater violate the first amendment?

cozmo on January 11, 2013 at 8:56 AM

No. If Congress were to pass legislation that prohibited anyone from shouting “fire” in a crowded theater (or anywhere else, for that matter) that would be a violation of the first amendment.

People don’t violate the first amendment; government does. That’s why the Bill of Rights exists; to GUARANTEE THESE UNALIENABLE RIGHTS FROM GOVERNMENT INFRINGEMENT.

Educate yourself for your own sake.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Bishop on January 11, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Only Ron Lyle could land a body punch like that.
Shapiro is a wimp who doesn’t know squat about firearms. HE is what passes for Andrew Breitbart these days? What a shame. They sent a boy to do a man’s job.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 11, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Rio Linda Refugee on January 11, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I didn’t say they don’t happen.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 9:01 AM

You are not very aware of your surroundings are you?
Rio Linda Refugee on January 11, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Little dante lives in a Ron Paul bubble. The Ron Paul posters on his walls have odd stains.

Ron Paul called dante up once and pleaded for dante to stop embarrassing him.

cozmo on January 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Eh. Shapiro wasn’t too bad but I was disappointed in his defense of the 2nd amendment and the reasons to support gun ownership.

Every time Morgan asked why people should own an AR-15 Shapiro should have brought up shop owners defending their livelihoods in LA riots.
He should have brought up it’s usefulness (and there are many many examples to be found in local newspapers) in defending the home against violent criminals. A rifle is easier to aim and is more accurate than a hand gun. In fact Breitbart.com highlighted the recent case where a 15 year old boy used an AR-15 to defend himself and his younger sister against violent criminals entering their home.

Shapiro should have kept hammering the point that banning “assault weapons” wouldn’t have changed the outcome of any of these massacres.

When Morgan mentioned the shooting at the mall in Portland Shapiro should have mentioned that a concealed carry holder drove the shooter to kill himself – especially when Morgan was attacking the idea put out there by us that “if only someone there had been armed besides the killer”.

When Morgan pulled out the Reagan quote about the 90′s assault weapon ban Shapiro should have immediately said that Reagan was wrong and that statistics and analysis show that the ban had no affect on crime. We’ve already tried this and it didn’t work.

gwelf on January 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Educate yourself for your own sake.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 9:00 AM

You may want to take your own advice.

cozmo on January 11, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Stop making Crank phone calls. Or blog posts, for that matter.

Jabberwock on January 11, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Well that was one way to avoid the counterargument.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Well that was one way to avoid the counterargument.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 9:03 AM

But you have no argument. Only ignorant nutball ranting.

Entertaining, but not informative.

cozmo on January 11, 2013 at 9:04 AM

You may want to take your own advice.

cozmo on January 11, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Says the guy who thinks the first amendment (and the Bill of Rights) restricts people, not government.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Bless your little ignorant heart.

cozmo on January 11, 2013 at 9:05 AM

But “shall not be infringed” is absolute.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 8:51 AM

No it isn’t you moron. Otherwise I could have that sweet RPG launcher I want.

Happy Nomad on January 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM

gwelf on January 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM

It’s important to remember that Shapiro was not on there to defend the 2nd Amendment or reasons to support gun ownership. He did an excellent job in pointing out just how much of a bully this Eurotrash version of Dante actually is.

Happy Nomad on January 11, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Morgan: Which tyranny are you fearing, yourself?

Shapiro: I fear the possibility of a tyranny rising in the country in the next fifty to a hundred years. Let me tell you something, Piers. The fact that my grandparents and great grandparents in Europe didn’t fear that is why they’re now ashes in Europe. So this kind of leftist revisionist history where there’s never any fear of democracy going usurpatious or tyrannical, is just that. It’s fictitious.

Boom.

JohnTant on January 11, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Too bad nobody watches CNN.

fossten on January 11, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I purchase the most basic cable package available for better reception. The only cable news channel offered is CNN. I bet much of their audience is a cable default audience and, like the above poster noted, those stuck in airports.

Also, how is the deportation petition for Piers coming along?

And finally, Piers bears an uncanny resemblance to over-emotional Jr. High School girls.

LetsBfrank on January 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Piers Morgan, Fareed Zakaria, David Frum, Andrew Sullivan… why do these people even leave their countries if they wanna turn the US into a mirror image of these dumpholes?

Valkyriepundit on January 11, 2013 at 9:18 AM

How about this for an arms ban:

Given that the State is the biggest criminal and murderer in history, let’s ban all governments from possessing all arms.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Shapiro handed him his arse and he couldn’t handle it.

Pomai on January 11, 2013 at 9:20 AM

How about this for an arms ban:

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Leave it to the village idiot to try and derail legitimate discussion with stupid and irrelevant ideas.

Happy Nomad on January 11, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Happy Nomad on January 11, 2013 at 9:11 AM

He did succeed in that at least.

gwelf on January 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Judge Andrew J. Napolitano can school Piers Morgan.

onlineanalyst on January 11, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Happy Nomad on January 11, 2013 at 9:21 AM

His ignorance is funny though, in a nutball sort of way.

cozmo on January 11, 2013 at 9:28 AM

How about this for an arms ban:

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Your posts have it the point a diminishing return.
Better start your weekend early.

Jabberwock on January 11, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I watched this over at Breidtbart.

Ben was very good but he could have been better in this one area.

Stop accepting the premise of “assault weapon.” It’s a made up term with no real meaning. A brick can be an assault weapon.

One other thing I noticed… Piers Morgan likes to ask a question and then rudely interrupt with a completely different question.
He kept asking Ben questions and then interrupt him with a different question before Ben was finished answering. Ben should have nailed him on that too. It’s just a tactic.

And as for the stupid sudafed argument.. “I can’t buy more than 6 packs of sudafed at WalMart but I can buy an AR-15.”

Well.. the government has no business making that law either! And that is exactly why they do it! They ban one thing that used to be legal and then use that as a stepping stone to ban something else.

In the soviet Union all kinds of normal things were banned. You couldn’t even buy large quantities of fabric or food or it would look suspicious.

JellyToast on January 11, 2013 at 9:29 AM

MORGAN: So there should be a database? A national register?

SHAPIRO: If it’s not public.

Ben is wrong here. Giving the federal government a database of gun owners, public or not, defeats the purpose of the Second Amendment. Moreover, we also have a Tenth Amendment. And even though the left ignores it unless we’re talking about weed, the federal government has no authority to do this.

RadClown on January 11, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Happy Nomad on January 11, 2013 at 9:21 AM
His ignorance is funny though, in a nutball sort of way.

cozmo on January 11, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Yep. He’s been trying to derail threads all week.

kingsjester on January 11, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Dante continues to be a whack job.

Kudos to Happy Nomad for comparing him to Piers!

22044 on January 11, 2013 at 9:30 AM

WOW. Shaprio kicked his arse…

budfox on January 11, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Yep. He’s been trying to derail threads all week.

kingsjester on January 11, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Had to catch up on work and thoroughly clean after my trip to yankeeland. Kind of sorry I missed little dante’s ranting.

cozmo on January 11, 2013 at 9:33 AM

cozmo on January 11, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Heh – you see one, you’ve seen them all.

22044 on January 11, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Are we sure that Dante and Alex Jones aren’t the same person?

Illinidiva on January 11, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Ben Shapiro is well-intentioned, and he’s done some good writing, but he let mush-faced, pig-eyed Piers steam-roll him and control the conversation. I hate to say it, but as hard as Shapiro tried, he dropped the ball throughout this “discussion.” For example, why did he let Piers get away with this “Why do people NEED AR-15s?” crap? It has nothing to do with NEED you d-bag. We WANT them, and we live (at least for now, sort of) in a FREE COUNTRY. That’s all that matters.

Most commenters on HA could have done a better job.

I’m no Truther by any means, but Alex Jones did a way better job. You can’t try to use reason with these people. They are completely unreasonable. The only thing they understand is superior strength. Ben should have b*tch-slapped that pompous windbag. (Figuratively speaking, of course ; ) ).

WhatSlushfund on January 11, 2013 at 9:35 AM

some handguns are assault weapons too.

Rip Ford on January 11, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Not by the definition of an “assault weapon” based on the proper definition of an “assault rifle”. At least, there are only a very few that I know of, the Heckler & Koch VP70Z being one of them. There aren’t many handguns that are selective fire.

GWB on January 11, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Only thing I wish Shapiro would have mentioned, was the ar-15 that shot Giffords…

…or Dimebag Darrell. The uzi that gunned him down on stage.

Oh, wait. Those were handguns.

AR-15′s are the camel’s nose in the tent.

Progs know it. Morgan knows it. They want concessions know, so further outlaw expansion can be slipped in without notice.

budfox on January 11, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I don’t want the feds monitoring how I secure my guns, if they are inanimate objects that can do no harm on their own then why is it their business?

I’m not understanding a defense of this sort of overreach.

Bishop on January 11, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Arrogant pr!ck. Who the hell does he think he is? Ben did a great job handling him and his reference to “our little book”. Well how’s this Piers? Your Magna Carta is just so much sheepskin, likely with offal on it. How’s that bud? Azzhole.

totherightofthem on January 11, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Piers Morgan

I’m saying it too, Mr Morgan.

On the subject of cable news in general, (Larry) King lamented, “A lot of shows, they make it about the host and the guest becomes a prop to the host and I never liked that.”

—- from a HuffPost interview

A rare moment of truth, there.

listens2glenn on January 11, 2013 at 9:47 AM

No it isn’t you moron. Otherwise I could have that sweet RPG launcher I want.

Happy Nomad on January 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I see Dante saying that we need to keep further infringement from happening. The government has already slowly nibbled away at the edges…

Yes, you’d think that responsible gun owners would properly secure their weapons if they have children or mentally ill living in their homes – but to have the government mandate that is unacceptable. How do they confirm whether your gun is properly secure? Who determines whether that family member is “crazy”? It’s a giant can of worms – what might sound “reasonable” only leads to further erosion of our rights. We’re at a point now, where we have to give no quarter.

Hill60 on January 11, 2013 at 9:47 AM

eon on January 11, 2013 at 8:21 AM

I would be happy to drop Michael Moore on the BBC. From a great height, sort of like a bunker buster.

OneFreeMan on January 11, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Happy Nomad on January 11, 2013 at 9:21 AM

It is the perfect argument for 2nd Amendment defenders to make, given the history of totalitarianism and the purpose of the 2nd Amendment.

Dante on January 11, 2013 at 9:48 AM

RadClown on January 11, 2013 at 9:30 AM

That’s another thing I forgot to mention. He should have unequivocally said no to a registry.

Also, at one point it appeared that Shapiro supported denying someone the right to bear arms if they lived with someone who had mental issues. I’m not sure how you reasonably verify that. I’m sure we don’t want to set the precedent for denying people rights because of who they live with or might live with or associate with.

gwelf on January 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM