Video: NRA adds 100,000 paid memberships in 18 days

posted at 2:01 pm on January 10, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Surprised? I’m not, after the full-court press that has more closely resembled a witch hunt than a policy debate in the media. The overwhelming unfairness of how gun owners have been vilified in the past three weeks and the aggressiveness of policymakers to demand laws that still can’t get majority support in the wake of the Newtown shooting make this outcome all but inevitable. If one wants to see what a political backlash looks like, keep watching:

The National Rifle Association has gained more than 100,000 new members in the last 18 days, the organization told POLITICO’s Playbook on Thursday.

The number of paid new members jumped from 4.1 million to 4.2 million in that time frame.

“Our goal is to get to 5 million before this debate is over,” the NRA told POLITICO’s Mike Allen. …

“We are willing to talk to policymakers about any reasonable proposals and plans,” an NRA official said in the Playbook report, regarding the upcoming meeting with Biden. “However, the NRA is hearing not just from Beltway elites and the chattering class, but real Americans all over the country that are hoping the NRA is not going to compromise on any of the principles of the Second Amendment, nor are we going to support banning guns. But we’re willing to listen.”

Politico had earlier reported low expectations for the NRA-Joe Biden tête-a-tête, but perhaps this might drive them even lower:

Vice President Joe Biden and the NRA are sitting down Thursday morning to talk gun control. Up next for a talk: Wal-Mart.

But don’t be fooled that the high-profile meetings are going to get much done.

The National Rifle Association doesn’t want new gun laws. And Wal-Mart sells a lot of guns, and has a lot of gun owners for customers, so the retail giant doesn’t want to look too close to the White House’s anti-gun push either, one source familiar with the company’s stance said.

“Gun sales are going through the roof after the shooting. It’s one of the fastest-selling items right now,” the source said. Wal-Mart wants to be helpful to the White House, but “when it contradicts sales, that’s where it stops.”

Wal-Mart spokesman David Tovar disputed the source and his claim. “We have been and continue to be very engaged in the discussions as the administration and Congress work toward a consensus on the right path forward,” Tovar said. “We are prepared to comply with whatever the law says.”

The NRA publicly has committed to engaging policymakers on reasonable proposals.  When the debate becomes more reasonable and less hysterical and demagogic, the NRA will be easy to find.  They’ll be the group that keeps getting more popular with each demand for gun grabs.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

And those “reasonable proposals” are … what?

The NRA and its foppish Frog of a leader, LaPierre, seem to forget:
American Rifleman, Vol. 149 No. 6, June 2001, page 52.

New research into Adolf Hitler’s use of firearms registration lists to confiscate guns and the execution of their owners teaches a forceful lesson — one that reveals why the American people and Congress have rejected registering honest firearm owners.

Can you spell Kristallnact?
Gird yer loins, Americans, the NRA with their boatloads of cash, is going to wimp out.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 11, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Many of these 100,000 new members are life members not annual members. If you know a life member, get them to sponsor you. If you don’t know a life member visit your local gun store. They will help you connect. The reward a $1000 life membership for $300

meci on January 11, 2013 at 9:08 AM

meci on January 11, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Wow, are you serious? I had thought about a life membership a while back but thought about the purty new AR I could buy for the same amount and held off.

The Count on January 11, 2013 at 9:34 AM

meci on January 11, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Money wasted for a window sticker and an expensive, glossy, monthly magazine.
Wayne LaPierre will wimp out – again. He’s a horrible spokesman.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 11, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Money wasted for a window sticker and an expensive, glossy, monthly magazine.
Wayne LaPierre will wimp out – again. He’s a horrible spokesman.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 11, 2013 at 9:37 AM

True, much of it is for show. But, 100,000 new members in 18 days is good propaganda against the gun-grabbers. At this point, I’ll take anything I can get to shut them up for once.

Liam on January 11, 2013 at 9:54 AM

When will these authoritarian leftists learn?

The minute you create “prohibition,” you create a black market for it.

PROHIBITION = BLACK MARKET.

It’s what propelled the MAFIA into power 100 years ago, remember?

Americans wouldn’t stand for prohibition of liquor, and they won’t stand for prohibition of guns.

We’ll end up with soaring crime, more guns in the hands of criminals, and and a renewal of crime syndicates, if they try to pass “gun control.”

mountainaires on January 11, 2013 at 9:57 AM

This will happen in state after state, just as it has happened with ObamaCare.

mountainaires on January 11, 2013 at 9:59 AM

The real gun control consensus

mountainaires on January 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I learned how to shoot through an NRA program at summer camp when I was about 13. I joined NRA during the Clinton Administration because I was worried about Clinton’s anti-gun sentiments, and rejoined last year because of Obama’s.

When I get my copy of NRA’s America’s 1st Freedom magazine, I make photocopies of the “Armed Citizen” column, and then sneak a copy into magazines in waiting rooms at doctors’ offices, etc.

That way, people get to read short accounts (from newspapers all over the country) about citizens who have protected themselves and their families with firearms.

I also recommend Chris Bird’s book Thank God I had a Gun, which is available through Amazon.com; it has plenty of other examples, including a harrowing chapter about the aftermath of Katrina in New Orleans.

KyMouse on January 11, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Renewed my expired membership yesterday. You get a choice of one of two kinds of duffle bags or a rosewood handled jack knife (legal size blade). Even if you don’t own a gun, the literature choice you get includes an e-newsletter on Second Amendment issues.

kens on January 11, 2013 at 11:54 AM

100,000 plus 1

Aggie95 on January 11, 2013 at 12:28 PM

This will happen in state after state, just as it has happened with ObamaCare.

mountainaires on January 11, 2013 at 9:59 AM

My only concern with what Wyoming is doing is that it talks about guns manufactured, sold and maintained in the state of Wyoming.
I realize they may be trying to avoid the dreaded commerce clause, but basically any guns you have that were manufactured elsewhere are NOT covered by this law.
Also, it appears to me that if I move to Wyoming and take my guns with me, I’m not covered.

dentarthurdent on January 11, 2013 at 12:28 PM

This will happen in state after state, just as it has happened with ObamaCare.

mountainaires on January 11, 2013 at 9:59 AM

dentarthurdent on January 11, 2013 at 12:28 PM

that is owned or manufactured commercially or privately in Wyoming

My mistake. I guess it pretty well covers everything.

dentarthurdent on January 11, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I joined. I had dropped out because of their eternal support for DEM Congressman John Dingell. However, because the MSM is so deranged with gun hatred, they think just listening to LaPierre will turn anyone into a gun control fanatic. Their mistake, because they overplayed the negatives, which made LaPierre very effective on television.

However, I also joined Gun Owners of America, and await my Molan Lave patches. Time to put up or shut up.

entagor on January 11, 2013 at 9:15 PM