Video: Secret gun-rights provision in ObamaCare?

posted at 8:01 am on January 9, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

By golly, Nancy Pelosi was right — they didn’t know what was in ObamaCare until it passed! Of course, in this case all she needed to do was ask her buddy Harry Reid, who apparently sandbagged his party’s gun-control wing by inserting an interesting clause in the 2800-page bill that no one in Congress bothered to read before voting on it. CNN’s Jim Acosta reveals the restriction on firearms-registration data collection built into the 2010 law:

The reason Reid inserted this clause, CNN reports without ever having actually talked to Reid (he declined comment), was to make the NRA “benign” in the ObamaCare fight — and to push back against “conspiracy theorists” who claimed that the bill would allow Barack Obama to start grabbing guns. Hey, that would never happen, right? Sure.

In any case, this isn’t that much of a bar on Congressional action. What can be done in this manner can be undone in the same manner. I’d keep an eye on any thousand-page bill rushed to the floor in this session to see if Reid reverses course.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Boycott these fools. The old man turns in his grave.

Schadenfreude on January 9, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I’m sure there is a lot more to the story. And people who are johnny on the spot with a video camera usually are agitators. And being a policeman or sheriff is a tough tough job.

Regardless of all that, the lefties will use this sort of thing to their advantage. They will wear us down and indoctrinate the next generation because that’s all people will have ever known.

Fenris on January 9, 2013 at 12:43 PM

This line of thinking is a slippery slope. Not all people who film things are “agitators” in the traditional sense.

What of my desire to film the wreck I saw, with bleeding kids, so as to contact the local authorities, show it to them, and convince them there’s a problem with the intersection?

Is that agitation, or a citizen exercising his 1st-Amendment rights, so as to try todo his civic duty in petitioning authorities to remedy a dangerous condition?

I’m not comfortable with labeling the man an “agitator,” until more is known.

“Agitator” sounds like a label that communists and fascists use to squelch any dissent, you know.

cane_loader on January 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM

The Founding Fathers were “agitators.”

cane_loader on January 9, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Folks, just a quibble, because I see it misspelled everywhere I go, including in doctors’ offices.

The acronym for the law governing patient privacy is:

HIPAA.

Not “HIPPA.”

Carry on.

cane_loader on January 9, 2013 at 1:07 PM

The Founding Fathers were “agitators.”

cane_loader on January 9, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I agree. What’s your point? I’m guessing you thought I didn’t. Although not all who agitate agitate for good. And not all policemen are bullies. If This guy was a Founding Father, he probably is more Thomas Paine than Thomas Jefferson. Thomas Paine was a jerk, but he sure could write.

Fenris on January 9, 2013 at 1:13 PM

cane_loader on January 9, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Can we just call it HIPPO, ’cause it dwarfs most everything else and it’s got a really big mouth?

Fenris on January 9, 2013 at 1:15 PM

he just cut your taxes by re-instating what used to be known as the bush tax cuts.

sesquipedalian on January 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM

You forgot “… for the rich.” Since that was always the automatically attached preposition. At least, until it was convenient for Obama to claim your taxes were going to go up by $2000/yr.

So then he makes them permanent, but ends the payroll tax holiday, raising everyone’s taxes by $1,600 anyway.

The Schaef on January 9, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Fenris on January 9, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I was just pointing out that “agitators” reminded me of when I studied the Soviet and Chinese Communists.

It’s a slippery term.

cane_loader on January 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Fenris on January 9, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Fine with me :D

cane_loader on January 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM

The article states that HIPPA was dropped and 2 weeks later he was charged with disorderly conduct and something else which I’m too lazy to go look at again. True, reporters get stuff wrong all the time, but whatever the details it sounds like a big hassle for him.

Fenris on January 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM

They’ve destroyed the evidence. The charges will be dropped. I agree that it is a big hassle and he should sue them.

Plus, he has now been charged multiple times with illegal activity including HIPPA violations and disorderly conduct. It doesn’t matter if the charges stick.

Fenris on January 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I thought that you said the HIPPA charges were dropped. The disorderly charges will also be dropped.

Under ObamaCare this is pertinent information to collect, and if that makes it illegal for him to own guns (even using tortuous logic) then that is also fair game.

It is not pertinent information. The Supreme Court has already ruled that there is an individual right to bear arms on a Federal (Heller) and State (McDonald) level.

Resist We Much on January 9, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Oh ya, commie agitators. Go aheadnand despisemthem, no argument here.

Fenris on January 9, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Resist We Much on January 9, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I think you underestimate the ability of lawyers and bureaucrats to do whatever they want using a convenient excuse. e.g. He has been charged with these crimes. That is enough. But I think we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

Fenris on January 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM

..while this may *really* be a threat, there is the stink of misdirection over all of this gun control flap by this administration.

The War Planner on January 9, 2013 at 2:23 PM

climbnjump on January 9, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Keep in mind that part of Obamacare is to have all your records in a database that is used by Lord knows who for Lord knows what. You may think it will be kept local, but I wouldn’t count on that.

Night Owl on January 9, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Medical records ARE ALREADY being uploaded to internet-accessible-published sites and services. So no medical record is private any longer — physicians are required by insurers/govt. to make “records available electronically” which means…internet accessible, in databases that “everyone” can access as needed, desired or whattheheck.

I complained against this activity a long time ago to no avail. I even complained to my current physician about this, who is required by my insurer (and they by govt.) to publish my records to their various databases…and I said to that that no user ID and p/w prevents anyone from accessing the information if they want it.

It’s doom for individuals as to personal information. Already, creeps who poke and hack into your random conversations with others and emails and comments try and compromise individual security and privacy for creepy purposes — generally to frighten, intimidate, scare or just be creeps and to harass — but once they find their way to medical records, it’s just an awful dead-end as to confidentiality in medicine, health care in general.

Nothing to hide here but the idea of not having privacy with my medical record and my doctor/s really bothers me. I’ve lived long enough to know that the world has a lot of bad people in it and if they can grab ANYthing about whoever they target for whatever reason, they will and they certainly are going to be exploiting our now “electronic record” as to our medical care.

Lourdes on January 9, 2013 at 2:59 PM

sesquipedalian on January 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM

That ^^ has to be the most nonsensical comment I’ve ever read.

Lourdes on January 9, 2013 at 3:03 PM

And yet, primary care physicians are required to ask their patients if they own guns as part of the ObamaCare patient risk assessment.

Apparently whoever concocted the forms doctors must file didn’t get the memo.

xstatic on January 9, 2013 at 10:35 AM

This is about destroying the entire framework, founding functionalities, of our Western, US civilization…

Now we can no longer entirely trust a physician, who, to keep a license to practice, has to follow what’s required of them by govt., so they’re told they “have to ask” per the forms govt. provides them to use, so they do ask and to protect themself, the sensible, private citizen denies owning what they do or may own to keep that information secure.

It’s a case of now the physicians are govt. employees and no longer able to be trusted as confidants, even IF a patient has nothing to conceal. It’s the idea of trust or lack of it involved, requiring doctors to pry into areas of a person’s life (and “to report it”) that aren’t relative specifically to any medical reason for a doctor’s involvement. So it destroys trust by patients in what they can or should say to a doctor.

It’s ruination yet again by disgusting Obama and the rest of these cretinous Democrats. They’re monsters. I mean that sincerely, they’re monsters.

Lourdes on January 9, 2013 at 3:07 PM

cane_loader on January 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM

The Founding Fathers were “agitators.”

cane_loader on January 9, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I hear what you’re saying but in these times, the Left is most certainly using “agitation” methods and persons engaged in them (thus, they’re “agitators”) to fan flames to incite violence, to impune others and especially to exacerbate problematic conditions or situations to accommodate Leftwing socio-political objectives.

I understand the need to be very careful with the use of that word, referring to someone as an “agitator,” but, really, in our present times, it’s a case of the Left/Communist practices and practitioners using others’ fear-of-being-wrongly-labelled to keep people from responding effectively.

If you’re familiar with the concept of “counter intelligence” or “double agent” work, you’ll recognize how these labels, names, words, concepts and actions have continued by the Left under cover of counter-labeling what they’re doing and what “the Right” is doing in their views that is wrong. They do agitate, many of them ARE agitators and every single Democrat/Leftwinger/Communist/Marxist/Obamavoter who plants him or herself amidst the Right or otherwise non-Leftwing messaging and then acts-as-if they were a part of that is, indeed, “agitating”.

Lourdes on January 9, 2013 at 3:42 PM

sesquipedalian on January 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM

No he didn’t, you lying sackocrap. The Bush tax cuts never went anywhere for those making under 400K.

Increases on those making less are due to the sunsetting of the social security “tax holiday”; and the discontinuation of certain deductions.

They’re still known as the Bush Tax Cuts – because you little obamassiah has never cut taxes for anyone in his life.
You’re such a dupe.

Solaratov on January 9, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Obviously the claus was buried in the bill to allow the hypocrites on the left to live up to their highest double standard.
I’d like to know how many registered demo-tards have rushed out to buy guns during this brisk sales upturn? Further, I’d like to know which political hypocrite owns stock in Smith & Wesson, or other gun related publicly traded stocks?

kregg on January 10, 2013 at 5:57 AM

Ah, but this clause gives the courts something to hang its hat on if Obama goes the Executive Order route.

amr on January 10, 2013 at 8:14 AM

The acronym for the law governing patient privacy is:

HIPAA.

Not “HIPPA.”

Carry on.

cane_loader on January 9, 2013 at 1:07 PM

^This!

Also, the HIPAA-related charges would have never stuck because I’m pretty sure the guy recording the incident is not a “covered entity” as defined by HIPAA.

CommonSensical on January 10, 2013 at 11:11 AM

sesquipedalian on January 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Hahaha…!

Blame the original for its creation. Credit the new guy for its continuation.

anuts on January 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM

It will be an interesting case when the DoJ is sued for attempting to skirt this law by claiming that it is only a restriction of the HHS, and not other entities within the Administration.

It will be fun watching what penumbras, and emanations from them, that SCOTUS finds that will allow one Department to do what another is specifically forbidden.

Another Drew on January 10, 2013 at 1:52 PM

It would help, if a blogger with a national audience would go to the extra trouble to find and read the passage of the final law in question, tell us what it actually says, and link to it. So far, I have not been able to find someone who has done so.

Marsili.us on January 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM