Quotes of the day

posted at 10:25 pm on January 9, 2013 by Allahpundit

Christie, who already had one of the most prominent public profiles in the country, has stepped squarely into the spotlight in the wake of Hurricane Sandy and the Congressional debate over passing a relief package for residents of the affected states.

“One thing I hope everyone in America now clearly understands — New Jersey, both Republicans and Democrats, will never stand silent when our citizens are being short changed,” the outspoken governor said in his State of the State address in Trenton yesterday.

This week Christie is also enjoying the Time Magazine cover treatment under the enormous headline, “The Boss” and “the master of disaster.”

***

But what many Americans have seen in Christie is what they don’t see in Obama: someone who is decisive and unfiltered and doesn’t think the world is an impossibly complex place. He may be wrong, he may be right, but he’s never in doubt. It was Sandy that evoked the best part of Christie’s raw persona. If he could be an overbearing bully in political arguments, he was an open hydrant of empathy in the wake of disaster. In the days after the storm, Christie toured nonstop among downed power lines and wrecked boardwalks, doling out countless bear hugs to shattered survivors. It helped a lot that his connection to the devastated areas was authentic. “The pier with the rides where I took my kids this August before the Republican Convention, where I got into that famous yelling match with the guy who was buying an ice cream cone?” Christie reminded reporters. “Those rides are in the Atlantic Ocean.”…

Christie zeroed in on his party’s weakest spot, casting House Republicans as Dickensian villains so consumed by their grudge match with Obama that they were stalling aid to homeless storm victims. Though privately protesting that Christie didn’t understand flaws in the bill, which included several long-te­rm non­emergency projects, Boehner and the House Republicans quickly retreated, passing a relief bill (albeit a scaled-down one) within days of the governor’s broadside.

Washington Republicans saw shameless grandstanding at the expense of a deeply unpopular Congress—an effort to please Northeastern Democrats and the national media elite. “He seems to be doing what the press wants him to do,” says a Republican operative with ties to congressional GOP leaders. “The popular thing is to bash Republicans.”…

After eight years out of the White House, Republicans will be desperate to find a winner and may appreciate that bashing Washington is almost always smart politics—and bashing his own party when it is deeply unpopular might be the shrewdest politics of all. George W. Bush’s “compassionate conservatism” slogan in 2000 was in part a way of distancing himself from the Newt ­Gingrich–Tom DeLay Congress. If Christie is easily re-elected in a state that hasn’t gone red since 1988, Republicans will have to wonder if he might be the man to restore their unloved brand.

***

Other notes from this poll:

Chris Christie is now more popular with Democrats nationally than he is with Republicans. His overall favorability is a very strong 51/23, but his +29 standing with Democrats (52/23) is higher than his +21 with GOP voters (48/27). He’s most popular with independents at +34 (52/18). Compared to a month ago he’s up a net 12 points with Democrats and down a net 11 points with Republicans. We’ll have a more full look ahead to the 2016 Presidential race tomorrow.

***

[T]he New Jersey governor is a potential presidential candidate because his rhetoric speaks to the times: Millions of Americans are being left behind by the new economy; they’re losing faith in institutions that are suppose to protect them, starting with government; they are empowered, thanks to the Internet and other technologies, unlike any other time in human history to enforce their will on failed institutions; and, finally, Americans want answers to the big unsolved problems including the national debt, gun violence, and climate change.

They want their leaders to lead.

Christie represents the gubernatorial wing of his party that, unlike Republicans in Washington, understands that nothing happens in a democracy unless rivals work to find ways that they can both win. While the GOP in Washington lost the November elections, Republican governors picked up a state capital seat because, Christie said, “we’re compromising when we need to.”

***

Certainly, the storm — and, more important, Christie’s forceful response — boosted the governor’s standing. But the tea party’s record lows and Christie’s record highs tell a larger story: Americans are crying out for an end to ideological warfare.

That has developed into Christie’s signature in New Jersey. He began his term promising tax cuts and fighting with the teachers union over tenure, pay and education reforms, but he now preaches reconciliation — a recurring theme in his State of the State address Tuesday afternoon…

Certainly, Christie is no liberal, but his State of the State speech was full of policy prescriptions that conservatives might label big government: “We’ve requested the federal government to pay 100 percent of the costs of the significant debris removal. . . . We have secured $20 million from the Federal Highway Administration. . . . We have worked with the Small Business Administration to secure nearly $189 million in loans.”…

“You see,” he told the legislators, “some things are above politics.”

It’s a lesson that could help the national Republican Party loosen the tea party’s death grip.

***

Norah O’Donnell: This morning I asked Christie if he thinks the Tea Party has too much clout in the GOP.

Gov. Christie: No, I don’t. I think they’ve had influence. I think everybody who comes to the table in the Republican Party should have a voice. Everybody should have a voice. And I don’t think they’ve had too much influence–

O’Donnell: You don’t think that’s why the House Republicans have not been able to get to the fiscal cliff deal?

Christie: Listen, I think there’s so many reasons why they couldn’t — and a lot of them are personal. And I talked about this in my press conference. I think they get into these toxic competitions with each other. And these internal palace intrigue things that happen. And don’t look at me puzzled, Charlie –

O’Donnell: You mean Cantor and Boehner?

Christie: I wouldn’t limit it to just that. There is competition among all the folks in that room.

***

The governor left the door open on his 2016 plans, saying his political focus right now is on his re-election campaign in New Jersey.

“You know, anybody who tries to plan four years from now, George, you know, is crazy. The fact of the matter is I’m going to follow the advice my mother gave me, which is to do the job that you have right now as well as you can do it and the future will take care of itself,” he said. “What I want to do now is be the governor of New Jersey, as I said, for the last three years, I’d like to do it for the next four.”…

“I will be more ready than I was in 2012 because I will have done my job for longer and hopefully gotten better.”

***

Via Newsbusters.

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

KCB on January 10, 2013 at 2:07 AM

You’re very kind, and I’m glad if you like my writing style. It took me a long time to develop it. :)

thatsafactjack on January 10, 2013 at 2:11 AM

thatsafactjack on January 10, 2013 at 2:11 AM

And yet you are so young!

KCB on January 10, 2013 at 2:13 AM

thatsafactjack on January 10, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Very well said. What troubles me is the profound and willing ignorance of too many of our citizens. I am fully aware of the silly pop culture–who is in/out doing what to who, and can still be aware of the more important things that affect our lives.

Whether Romney was a good candidate or not he was much better than a full on communist like we have in that miserable, malignant narcissistic Obama.

arnold ziffel on January 10, 2013 at 2:13 AM

This one by Alan O’Day is posted with Brent Musburger’s newest crush in mind

Skinny Girls (G-rated, until 2:34)

“Skinny Girls” (PG-13-rated)

Skinny girls. Skinny girls. Skinny girls. Skinny girls.
I love em’ I love em’ I love em’
[Repeat x 2.]

Skinny girls!
They’re so compact.
You can put ‘em in your pocket,
feed ‘em a snack.
Those skinny girls.

Take em’ to a drive in (drive in, drive in, drive in).
They can liven up the show (show show show)
Nobody has to know.
Now if they slow you down,
you can pick ‘em up off the ground
when you’re ready to go.

I… I love em’ I love em’ I love em’
I love em’ I love em’ I love em’
Those skinny girls.

… love em’ I love em’ I love em’
I love em’ I love em’ I love em’
Those skinny girls.

Skinny girls. Skinny girls. Skinny girls. Skinny girls.
Skinny girls. Skinny girls. Skinny girls. Skinny girls.
Skinny girls. Skinny girls. Skinny girls. Skinny girls.
I love those skinny girls (girls x 7)

Skinny girls!
You can twirl ‘em when you dance!
You can toss ‘em in the air when you make romance.
Those skinny girls.

They make you feel gigantic.
They go frantic over you.
Nothing you have to do.
When you want to be alone,
just turn ‘em to the side.
They’re easy to hide
From you.

I love em’ I love em’ I love em’
I love em’ I love em’ I love em’
Those skinny girls.

… love em’ I love em’ I love em’
I love em’ I love em’ I love em’
Those skinny girls.

Skinny girls. Skinny girls. Skinny girls. Skinny girls.
Skinny girls. Skinny girls. Skinny girls. Skinny girls.

Ah, skinny girls! They talk real high.
They make you cry
when they say goodbye.

I love her I love her I love her
I love her I love her I love her
That skinny girl.

I love em’ I love em’ I love em’
I love em’ I love em’ I love em’
Those skinny girls.

Skinny girls. Skinny girls. Skinny girls. Skinny girls.
Skinny girls. Skinny girls. Skinny girls. Skinny girls.
I love em’ I love em’ I love em’
[Repeat to fade...]

Anti-Control on January 10, 2013 at 2:14 AM

KCB on January 10, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Well, I started so early you know… I was still just a freshman in high school! lol!

thatsafactjack on January 10, 2013 at 2:14 AM

thatsafactjack on January 10, 2013 at 2:14 AM

I will bid you Good night, along with the rest of my HA friends that are here. If any of you are so inclined, whisper a quick prayer for ALT. Tough week for her. Take care. I will see you tomorrow. Jackie, you look stunning!

KCB on January 10, 2013 at 2:19 AM

arnold ziffel on January 10, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Well said and so true, Arnold. It’s partially a sad reflection of our educational system, partially a spoiled and self indulgent populace who’d rather watch a ball game, play a video game, eat something, drink, etc. than read anything substantive.

Being an adult is often hard work, and sometimes painful. Being responsible, which includes being well enough informed and experience to be possessed of good judgement, thus being equipped to make responsible choices, is time consuming and difficult.

We have far too many people in our society who’ve shirked that responsibility in favor of perpetual adolescence.

Hence, they prefer to be told which choices to make. Enter the Main Stream Media, Madison Avenue, Hollywood, and Washington DC.

thatsafactjack on January 10, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Other than that she’s a fine girl.

and don’t bring up haras nilap around her.

arnold ziffel on January 10, 2013 at 2:00 AM

haha

Nice song choice – I think their singer (Elliot Lurie) has one of pop music’s best voices!

Anti-Control on January 10, 2013 at 2:22 AM

KCB on January 10, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Goodnight, my friend. Sleep well. And…thank you. :)

thatsafactjack on January 10, 2013 at 2:22 AM

I meant, that whether Ken meant ‘we’ as a collective ‘we’, as in all of us late nighters, or if he meant it as just the royal ‘we’, or if he meant it as a reference to ‘you’ singly, in fact, regardless of how he meant it… I can’t sleep, either. :)

thatsafactjack on January 10, 2013 at 2:10 AM

I know. Of course. I just like “burying bodies in the backyard” humor. In my book collection are a couple original printings of Charles Addams’ work. I know, I know — it probably comes from too much time in the oubliette. :)

arnold ziffel on January 10, 2013 at 2:13 AM

It seems to me that the idea of culture itself has been under attack for a while. The “diversity” push meant all minor cultural tweaks should be learned and appreciated, but the majority culture (which isn’t code — it was our common culture, crossing all racial and creed boundaries) became something to ridicule. I think that, basically, a void was created.

But people will have a culture, and they filled the void with crap.

(This is inflammatory, but it seems that people will have a nobility as well. I know that’s not exactly conservative talk. But in the absence of anything actually noble, neither a “noble class” that wasn’t actually noble but perceived to be anyway, or a natural aristocracy as John Adams went on about — they created one of those too. Meet Countess Kim.)

I say, we need a Renascence, meaning a rebirth of culture, and my young niece laughs at me and accuses me of wanting to wear a frilly shirt.

/just talking

Axe on January 10, 2013 at 2:25 AM

This one has a nice feel to it

Cherry Vanilla – “Moonlight”

Anti-Control on January 10, 2013 at 2:27 AM

arnold ziffel on January 10, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Great tune!

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 10, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Axe on January 10, 2013 at 2:25 AM

We do, most certainly, need a renaissance, and we will have it. Look to history. The pendulum swings, and, incidentally, for culture and politics at the same time.

thatsafactjack on January 10, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Anti-Control on January 10, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Very nice tunes, indeed. :)

thatsafactjack on January 10, 2013 at 2:34 AM

Sleepy Lagoon – Harry James

With this I bid you all a fond goodnight. It’s been a pleasure, as always. See you soon.

thatsafactjack on January 10, 2013 at 2:36 AM

thatsafactjack on January 10, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Night Jackie. :)

I’ll follow you out. Big meeting in the morning. Need to prep.

*poof*

Axe on January 10, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Very nice tunes, indeed. :)

thatsafactjack on January 10, 2013 at 2:34 AM

I tried to find the lyrics to that last one for you online, but was unsuccessful :(

Jack Bruce – “Rope Ladder To The Moon”

Anti-Control on January 10, 2013 at 2:43 AM

Christie is better described as “Leader of the Vichy Right”. Christie deserves the fate of all Vichy, the despicable, miserable, back-stabbing POS.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 10, 2013 at 1:26 AM

I love the name. I’m reminded of Charlie Crist before he gave up all pretense.

INC on January 10, 2013 at 2:44 AM

So who’s gonna be the first person to make an unoriginal joke about Christie being fat?

vegconservative on January 9, 2013 at 10:32 PM

It’s wrong to make fun of a man cause of his weight. You all objectify him and it’s an excuse not to see him as a whole person. Not to see his good side. Drive around him for 2 hours and you’ll see the whole man. He’s not just a caricature or a joke. I’ve seen satellite pictures and he’s a human being, not a fat joke. Stop the fat jokes people.

BoxHead1 on January 10, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Many people have been wondering about this since Brent Musburger’s comments a few nights ago

Trapeze – “What Is a Woman’s Role”

Anti-Control on January 10, 2013 at 2:51 AM

BoxHead1 on January 10, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Damn that’s funny!

KCB on January 10, 2013 at 2:55 AM

I’ve never joked about Christie’s weight, but I have said that I think that level of obesity indicates an addictive personality.

Not that most politicians don’t have control issues.

INC on January 10, 2013 at 2:58 AM

I love the name. I’m reminded of Charlie Crist before he gave up all pretense.

INC on January 10, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Yeah, it’s a brilliant description. I wish it were mine. I took it from someone else (I can’t remember who first started calling them “Vichy Republicans” – it might have been one of the bloggers at PJMedia(?)) some years ago.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 10, 2013 at 3:06 AM

Watch out – the band’s name is racist somehow!

White Boy and the Average Rat Band – “Neon Warriors”

\m/

Anti-Control on January 10, 2013 at 3:10 AM

This movie rules!

“Neon Maniacs” trailer

Anti-Control on January 10, 2013 at 3:17 AM

I heard a soft whisper in the glade…

It startled me, but then I soon realised it was our Moon Goddess walking about making sure everything was alright in the Glade and that all were sleeping…

And off she drifts to her canopy between the massive oaks, yet to slumber herself…

It would seem I am on 3rd watch…

Sleep well my HA friends!

You are well guarded this night.

Scrumpy on January 10, 2013 at 3:35 AM

Funny BoxHead.

When will BMore return? He is a good guy with many talents.

SparkPlug on January 10, 2013 at 3:36 AM

The Forest

To be as the eagle and hawk as they soar
To contemplate beneath a wild waterfall’s roar
The forest has harmony this fine summer’s day
The forest will speak to those who will stay

Of the things born of nature the forest will speak
The things of the wild, the strong and the weak
Some people would say this is all foolish talk,
Those with understanding know we walk the same walk

The forest will speak if only you listen
Of trees and of creatures and of rivers that glisten
From the high nest of the hawk
To the low swamp of the heron

The forest asks but one thing
It asks that you listen.

Scrumpy on January 10, 2013 at 3:37 AM

Scrumpy is on 3rd watch.

Guardian of the enchanted realm.

SparkPlug on January 10, 2013 at 3:38 AM

IN THE FOREST by Oscar Wilde

Out of the mid-wood’s twilight
Into the meadow’s dawn,
Ivory limbed and brown-eyed,
Flashes my Faun!

He skips through the copses singing,
And his shadow dances along,
And I know not which I should follow,
Shadow or song!

O Hunter, snare me his shadow!
O Nightingale, catch me his strain!
Else moonstruck with music and madness
I track him in vain!

Scrumpy on January 10, 2013 at 3:39 AM

SparkPlug on January 10, 2013 at 3:38 AM

Slept for a while, I am troubled…

Poetry always helps :-)

Scrumpy on January 10, 2013 at 3:40 AM

I love trees. Oaks, elms, birch, maple, ash, white birch, poplar.

SparkPlug on January 10, 2013 at 3:40 AM

HERE, O my heart, let us burn the dear dreams that are dead,
Here in this wood let us fashion a funeral pyre
Of fallen white petals and leaves that are mellow and red,
Here let us burn them in noon’s flaming torches of fire.

We are weary, my heart, we are weary, so long we have borne
The heavy loved burden of dreams that are dead, let us rest,
Let us scatter their ashes away, for a while let us mourn;
We will rest, O my heart, till the shadows are gray in the west.

But soon we must rise, O my heart, we must wander again
Into the war of the world and the strife of the throng;
Let us rise, O my heart, let us gather the dreams that remain,
We will conquer the sorrow of life with the sorrow of song.

Sarojini Naidu

Scrumpy on January 10, 2013 at 3:43 AM

The oaks and the pines, and their brethren of the wood, have seen so many suns rise and set, so many seasons come and go, and so many generations pass into silence, that we may well wonder what “the story of the trees” would be to us if they had tongues to tell it, or we ears fine enough to understand.

Scrumpy on January 10, 2013 at 3:47 AM

Scrumpy on January 10, 2013 at 3:40 AM

Yes poetry is soothing. I like reading the classics. I hope you are not worrying about anything my dear.

SparkPlug on January 10, 2013 at 3:47 AM

Adieu…

Farewell!!

I sit and watch the night slide by and await the dawns first glimmer of light…

Scrumpy on January 10, 2013 at 3:48 AM

My worries and frets are nothing compared to what others go through.

I shall be fine!!

God Bless :-)

Scrumpy on January 10, 2013 at 3:50 AM

My worries and frets are nothing compared to what others go through.

I shall be fine!!

God Bless :-)

Scrumpy on January 10, 2013 at 3:50 AM

It’s not very healthy to downplay your worries like that, Scrumpy.

Anti-Control on January 10, 2013 at 4:05 AM

He’s the best shot we have at beating the Clintons.

rubberneck on January 10, 2013 at 5:07 AM

So. The press is already telling us to nominate Christie as the GOP’s sacrificial lamb in 2016, eh? Why not? They did the same for Romney 4 years ago and that went perfectly according to their plan.

besser tot als rot on January 9, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Romney was de facto cause the rest of the candidates were retards.

rubberneck on January 10, 2013 at 5:09 AM

besser tot als rot on January 9, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I am so sick of some of you going on about how the press told Republicans how to vote or how the “establishment” supposedly picked the nominee. If anything, Romney got less favorable coverage than all of the so-called not-Romneys, especially during each of their brief moments at the top.

Why don’t you campaign for the candidates you want instead of whining about how someone else is supposedly selecting candidates for you.

bluegill on January 10, 2013 at 5:24 AM

why can’t every gop be like christie, he’s so awesome
-lsm

blech

you can have him lsm….

————————————-
they’d turn on him as soon as he says i’m running for president….

cmsinaz on January 10, 2013 at 5:43 AM

bluegill on January 10, 2013 at 5:24 AM

I don’t disagree with any particular point, but the media does seem to try to put darlings on a platter. They liked McCain.

But it’s true — I’m not sure Romney was ever a media darling. They pretty much hated him. They still seem to hate him, in fact, even though one could expect a lightening up after the battle.

Axe on January 10, 2013 at 5:48 AM

morning axe

cmsinaz on January 10, 2013 at 5:54 AM

morning axe

cmsinaz on January 10, 2013 at 5:54 AM

Morning, Cmsinaz! :)

Ready to go to work? Doh — forgot to check the colonists this morning (Liberty Unyielding). Preoccupied. Meeting. Very important.

Where’s KJ’s take? Slacker.

Axe on January 10, 2013 at 6:05 AM

Axe on January 10, 2013 at 6:05 AM

be heading out soon…coffee perking right now….hang in there today

KJ should be here momentarily

cmsinaz on January 10, 2013 at 6:07 AM

lol

willie giest, how can you negotiate with someone who comes in saying he will not negotiate (talking about the nra meeting with biden today)

you had no problem with obama saying the exact same thing on the debt ceiling

wow

cmsinaz on January 10, 2013 at 6:35 AM

KJ’s take is on the biden post….it’s a good one

cmsinaz on January 10, 2013 at 6:44 AM

Axe on January 10, 2013 at 6:05 AM

Had to wake my Bride up. Here’s my take.

kingsjester on January 10, 2013 at 6:46 AM

Great take, as usual, KJ!

bluegill on January 10, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Axe on January 10, 2013 at 5:48 AM

You are right about that.

By the way, does anyone know if the primary/caucus schedule for 2016 is going to be changed from how it was last year? I felt like the whole process dragged on way too long.

bluegill on January 10, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Ed Rendell on Morning Joe: “we’re not coming after the average person’s right to bear arms.”

Yeah, sure Ed. We believe you! Nothing to worry about, right?

Naturally Curly on January 10, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Naturally Curly on January 10, 2013 at 7:20 AM

I wonder who’s right to bear arms they are coming after.

Axe on January 10, 2013 at 7:23 AM

NC, they’ll try their darndest

cmsinaz on January 10, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Axe on January 10, 2013 at 7:23 AM

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe the above average people?

KCB on January 10, 2013 at 7:32 AM

You say that like it is a bad thing.

LegendHasIt on January 10, 2013 at 12:39 AM

If Cruz would ever like to be President, it is. Reagan had a sunny, optimistic personality and that is why everyone liked him so much. Barry is a hard leftist and a slimy ward politician, but even he was all about Hope! and Change! and false optimism in 2008. Image matters a lot in politics. How you present ideas matter as much as the ideas themselves.

Illinidiva on January 10, 2013 at 7:32 AM

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe the above average people?

KCB on January 10, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Kinda seems like a tell there. I guess we’ll find out.

Axe on January 10, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Now Martin O’Malley is clutching his pearls and working himself up into a case of the vapors. Quite a drama queen!

Naturally Curly on January 10, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Yeah, sure Ed. We believe you! Nothing to worry about, right?

Naturally Curly on January 10, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Note to Ed Rendell, Joe Biden, the filthy rat-eared wonder, and all rest of you vermin including Christie…….

You say that you aren’t coming out after Americans right to bear arms as if that is your right and privilege. That is a guaranteed right in the Constitution. Go eff yourself and let the impeachment proceedings begin if you try you anti-American traitors.

I hope Christie chokes on a hot dog and dies.

Happy Nomad on January 10, 2013 at 7:39 AM

You are right about that.

bluegill on January 10, 2013 at 7:13 AM

You’ll probably hear something more about that in a few weeks when the RNC has their meeting in the end of January. One thing Priebus has mentioned is that the process did drag on too long. However, that was partially by design from last time. The “winner take all states” didn’t start until after April this time around. Thanks Michael Steele! Priebus also mentioned that there were too many debates this time around and they’re looking at ways to curtail that.

However, a lot of it had to do with the weakness of the field in 2012. It isn’t an awful thing to have a long drawn out primary process if there are good candidates. It is an awful thing if it allows Santorum and Gingrich to hang around into April.

Illinidiva on January 10, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Illinidiva on January 10, 2013 at 7:43 AM

I for one am sick and tired of the RINOs blaming November’s loss on the TPM. They of course are being egged on by the MSM who were cheerleaders for the rat-eared bastard. They want to divide the GOP and worthless bags of fat like Christie are more than happy to help them.

Happy Nomad on January 10, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Yeah, sure Ed. We believe you! Nothing to worry about, right?

Naturally Curly on January 10, 2013 at 7:20 AM

no worries. no ones taxes were going to increase if you made less than 250K either.

then one morning you wake up and your paycheck is smaller.

renalin on January 10, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Happy Nomad Did you actually think either Gingrich or Santorum was a viable nominee?

Illinidiva on January 10, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Put a fork in Christie, he’s done. This hyperbole might play well in NJ, but people on a national basis are beginning to see Christie as a big joke.

Perhaps if he paused for one second, examined the facts and stopped blabbering Christie would realize the people he is attacking have been trying to help. But they’ve also grown tired of his circus sideshow act.

Christie has become Arnold Schwarzenegger in a fat suit. The only thing missing is a tabloid story about his affair with a roast beef sandwich.

Marcus Traianus on January 10, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Illinidiva on January 10, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Did you actually think that Romney was a viable candidate? Why?

ddrintn on January 10, 2013 at 9:34 AM

RINOs like Christie and Scarbourough will trade freedom for security. They are taking us down the path to tyranny just like the most ardent socialist Democrat. The only difference is they get us there a little slower.

jpmn on January 10, 2013 at 9:52 AM

More viable than Gingrich or Santorum… I’m quite convinced we’d be talking about President-Elect Romney now if not for Sandy and Christie’s despicable, self-serving political stunt. Barry would have had a field day smearing Gingrich an his numerous personality flaws and ethical problems. And Santorum the moral scold would have nicely reinforced Barry war on womenz narrative.

Illinidiva on January 10, 2013 at 9:53 AM

More viable than Gingrich or Santorum…

Illinidiva on January 10, 2013 at 9:53 AM

On what basis? Gingirch and Santorum did just as well in the polls against Obama as Romney.

ddrintn on January 10, 2013 at 9:57 AM

^ In fact, I think at one time each did BETTER in polls vs Obama than Romney did.

ddrintn on January 10, 2013 at 9:58 AM

the governor’s broadside

Which side would that be?

steebo77 on January 10, 2013 at 10:25 AM

For the reasons I mentioned above. Image matters in politics. It matters quite a bit. Santorum has similar public policy views on social issues as Ryan, Rubio, and Jindal but he turns off people with his hectoring tone. Indies don’t like candidates who enjoy lecturing others about their moral superiority. As for Gingrich, he is the most unlikeable man in politics. Barry’s super PAC would have a field day destroying him.

Illinidiva on January 10, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Illinidiva on January 10, 2013 at 10:26 AM

But the proof is in the pudding. Romney’s and Ryan’s “images” were sooooo cool. I mean, good hair and bulging biceps and everything. But they were miserable losers anyway. As I said, boith Gingrich and Santorum were performing at least as well as Romney. So why were they not viable, but sure-loser Romney was? And if your judgement on viability is THAT bad, why should anyone listen to you?

ddrintn on January 10, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Moving Company Reports People Fleeing Illinois & New Jersey

I totally get Illinois but why New Jersey? I’d move out of Illinois, too, if I had somewhere to go and could take my kids with me. Hubby’s company is here and adult kids are established.

Fallon on January 10, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Illinidiva on January 10, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I can’t put my finger on it but this sounds like someone who was recently reelected. :)

Fallon on January 10, 2013 at 11:11 AM

And generic Republican 2.0 could have beaten Barry at the time.. Barry was chomping at the bit for a bozo like Santorum to become the nominee.. But by all means keep up with your delusions about the strength of a Santorum ticket. I know lots of Republican women, including me, who would have voted “present” if that scold was nominated. Frankly, I’d like to see the Rs actually win in 2016 because the epic meltdown in Evanston would be incredibly entertaining. Ryan would actually be the best bet for epic entertainment value because the white people set really reacts violently to him for some reason. Not sure about their reaction to Rubio.

Illinidiva on January 10, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Here’s a novel idea. Why not pick a nominee that embodies your values/and has a record of… fixing things cutting back government as opposed to how they poll?

I mean Romney was supposed to do gangbusters in polls and look how that turned out.

Sharr on January 10, 2013 at 4:11 PM