Barney Frank: No, I really really want that temp job

posted at 9:21 am on January 9, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

A governor looking to make a temporary appointment certainly wants someone who will be enthusiastic about a thankless job — caretaking a Senate seat for a period of time so short that it’s likely not to matter much.  At a certain point, though, enthusiasm morphs from a virtue to a kind of weird, embarrassing, and unseemly display.  If Barney Frank’s pursuit of John Kerry’s open Senate seat hasn’t yet become the latter, he’s at least well on the way to the destination.  At first content to simply place a call to Deval Patrick requesting consideration and admitting it on Morning Joe last week, Frank is now on a media tour to secure the appointment before Patrick has a chance to decide otherwise:

Frank had previously said it would be “presumptuous” to comment on a job that hasn’t been offered when asked whether he would want the interim Senate seat that will open up if Kerry is confirmed as secretary of state. But soon after, Frank revealed on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” that he had told Bay State Gov. Deval Patrick he wanted the job.

“Previously, I was facing a situation in which the first few months of the year, as they often are, would not be very important in terms of legislation, and it would have been more ceremonial than substantive. I’m not a big ceremony guy,” Frank told POLITICO in an interview Tuesday.

The former chairman of the House Financial Services Committee explained that he placed the call to Patrick just days after the fiscal cliff vote, having decided that the first months of 2013 would be “very important in terms of legislation.”

“I do think, immodestly, that given the important decision that will be made about these complicated questions, in February, March and April, I’m very well-qualified because I don’t know of anybody else who’s been doing these things so continuously who’s ready to jump in,” he said.

That’s probably true … but perhaps becoming increasingly irrelevant.  Frank insists that he has no further political ambitions, and all but endorsed Ed Markey in the special election primary.  “I think Ed Markey and I are kind of a relay team on this,” Frank told Politico, although that wasn’t how Markey saw it, according to the Boston Globe this weekend:

Governor Deval Patrick wasn’t the only one shaken by former Representative Barney Frank’s very public declaration on Friday that he’d like to serve as interim senator if John F. Kerry resigns to serve as secretary of state.

A former colleague, Representative Edward J. Markey, was rankled by the prospect, friends say, in part because of the inevitable poll that would gauge Frank’s popularity as senator. A high approval rating for Frank could overshadow Markey’s candidacy in the special election campaign that would be needed to fill the seat permanently.

Markey denied feeling “rankled” in a statement to the Globe, but he also didn’t endorse Frank for the interim appointment, either.

Frank’s full-court press on the appointment came after a Saturday comment from one of Patrick’s advisers, Doug Rubin.  Rubin seemingly dismissed Frank as an establishment figure who was part of the problem in Washington DC, and not part of the solution:

On Saturday, though, Patrick’s political consigliere, Doug Rubin, very publicly raised doubts about Frank ever getting the appointment. “I respect Cong. Frank and what he has accomplished, but there are better options for MA Senate interim appointment,” Rubin said on his Twitter account. …

“The theory that we have to send experienced people to Washington to break the gridlock; the experienced people are the ones creating the gridlock,” said Rubin.

He added: “If we get beyond the traditional names, there are a lot of smart, talented individuals from Massachusetts who could bring some fresh ideas and energy to Washington, and that’s what we sorely need.”

Yeah, but … for just three or four months? What kind of gridlock-breaking will a rookie do in that period of time, especially one that won’t be coming back after the spring?  If that’s the kind of advice that Patrick gets from his “consigliere,” he’d better look for a wartime consigliere when it comes time to run for President.

Frank is probably the best Patrick can do for such a limited assignment, but he’d better choose quickly before Frank talks himself out of the job.

Comments

Must be the interns…

jake-the-goose on January 9, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Another public trough gorging parasite who can’t make it out here on his own, Charlie H. Crist with moobs.

Why can’t these fools just fade away when their time is done.

Bishop on January 9, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Obviously, Barney’s husband doesn’t want him lying around the house, making the milk go sour.

Pork-Chop on January 9, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Something’s bugging me about this.

I can’t find it.

Axe on January 9, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Look closer Axe, it will jump off the page at you. IMHO

D-fusit on January 9, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I’ll guarantee that there is some “kicker” in here. something like if he serves three months in both houses of Congress it doubles his pension or something.

clippermiami on January 9, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Something’s bugging me about this.

I can’t find it.

Axe on January 9, 2013 at 9:31 AM

It rhymes with Nun Bontrol.

Bishop on January 9, 2013 at 9:39 AM

D-fusit on January 9, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Seriously. :) Something about that . . .

Bah. All right. I’ll need a chicken, two wax candles, and an Arnuki beast.

Axe on January 9, 2013 at 9:40 AM

These wormy politicians have been sucking off the government teat so long that they wouldn’t know how to handle a real job . . . I think he’s about to panic.

rplat on January 9, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I bet this embarrassment in human form cannot believe he not in jail right now and figures,”What the hell, let’s do it again!” The question is, when will his fellow conspirator return from his Irish castle to finish the destruction he started?

ROCnPhilly on January 9, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I’d tell the old queen to stuff it, but he’d take that as a compliment.

Thomas More on January 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Seriously. :) Something about that . . .

Bah. All right. I’ll need a chicken, two wax candles, and an Arnuki beast.

Axe on January 9, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Coffee, let me introduce you to my new tablet. Damn.

D-fusit on January 9, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Barney Frank – TeaCarpet Bagger

singlemalt 18 on January 9, 2013 at 9:48 AM

It rhymes with Nun Bontrol.

Bishop on January 9, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Are you sure? I’m thinking destroying the economy. It’s all he knows.

ROCnPhilly on January 9, 2013 at 9:49 AM

It rhymes with Nun Bontrol.

Bishop on January 9, 2013 at 9:39 AM

O, butter Tina Korbe’s butt and call her a biscuit. It’s the dates. :)

1. “important decision” (one)
2. “complicated questions” (plural, crap, hides one question)
3. “February, March and April” legislative calender
4. doesn’t know anyone else “doing these things” (plural, crap, hides one thing)
5. “ready to jump in” — it’s his baby.

Translation:

“I do think, immodestly, that given the important decision that will be made about this complicated question, in February, March and April, I’m very well-qualified because I don’t know of anybody else who’s been doing this thing so continuously who’s ready to jump in,” he said.

Duh.

Axe on January 9, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Ok I give up, if it’s not Nun Bontrol then what is it?

Bishop on January 9, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Fiscal cliff and budget cuts were postponed two months.

ROCnPhilly on January 9, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Do I look like RWM? Gay government officials aren’t my field. All I know is he has one thing in particular he wants to do, and he weally, weally, weally wants a crack at it.

What’s on the calender?

Axe on January 9, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Of course it is Bawny. It’s probably Bun Patrol.

ROCnPhilly on January 9, 2013 at 9:58 AM

What’s on the official calendar or what’s on the under-the-table calendar?

Nun Bontrol is first up, about the 22nd or so according to Nanzi, then things will really get interesting; I’m thinking the forming of a domestic security force.

Bishop on January 9, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Fiscal cliff, budget cut are supposed to be readdressed in late feb/early march.

ROCnPhilly on January 9, 2013 at 10:02 AM

If not nun bontrol, then maybe helping Obiden negotiate raising the debt ceiling. Isn’t that the next crisis du jour?

Kissmygrits on January 9, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Yep. They punted on the cuts when they made the deal in dec. Everything but unemployment extension comes back up feb/march.

ROCnPhilly on January 9, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I’m thinking the forming of a domestic security force.

Bishop on January 9, 2013 at 10:00 AM

They have the ammo already. All that’s left is deciding on shirt color. Right now they are thinking brown for that cool retro look.

ROCnPhilly on January 9, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Go to hell treasonous sodomite.

tom daschle concerned on January 9, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Politically, the smartest move for Patrick to do would be to choose someone who is likely to run for Governor. It would increase the person’s name recognition, which can be useful in a potentially competitive 2014 election.

So I would not be surprised if he announces his Lieutenant Governor as the candidate.

Mister Mets on January 9, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Barney Frank IS the best example of how dysfunctional and corrupt our government has gotten….. Roaches surviving a nuclear blast have nothing on the zombie like afterlife of a retiring Government Representative…. It is ALWAYS about what THEY want not what is best for the people.

This horrible deceitful contemptible miscreant of a man should be behind bars, not handed a Senatorial SEAT of any kind, if he wants a job let him run his own campaign on his own dime to do it… he has done quite enough damage to the entire nation on a very small state’s authority!

ActinUpinTexas on January 9, 2013 at 10:37 AM

He wants to bump up his Pension, he is from Massachusetts.

Fleuries on January 9, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I’m not a big ceremony guy,” Frank told POLITICO in an interview Tuesday.

Unless it is for a “wedding,” eh Bawney?

onlineanalyst on January 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Barney Frank: No, I really really want that temp job

…Senate Page Boys are different than House Page Boys?

KOOLAID2 on January 9, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Something’s bugging me about this.

I can’t find it.

Axe on January 9, 2013 at 9:31 AM

It rhymes with Nun Bontrol.

Bishop on January 9, 2013 at 9:39 AM

If we are referring to Fwank, it certainly isn’t about bun control.

If the topic is fiscal responsibility, Frank is a very questionable candidate. He was a big contributor to the financial meltdown, given his support for Fannie/Freddie viability. Also, his role in the horrid Dodd-Frank bill demonstates his inability to focus on the real issues of fiscal responsibility.

onlineanalyst on January 9, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Frank is addicted to power. Power he should have never had.

sadatoni on January 9, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Typical political pattern:

1. Oh! I just want to retire and pursue other opportunities.

2. Oh! It would be presumptious to comment on that since I haven’t been offered the job.

3. I did tell the Governor that I was interested in the job.

4. I really am the only one qualified for that job.

5. Did I mention I really want that job?

Happy Nomad on January 9, 2013 at 10:59 AM

…Senate Page Boys are different than House Page Boys?

KOOLAID2 on January 9, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Nope, they are both off limits. Plus, Frank is a sodomite not a pedophile.

Happy Nomad on January 9, 2013 at 11:01 AM

To think that this deviant retires as a millionaire after being partially responsible for the financial straits we’re in.

Cleombrotus on January 9, 2013 at 11:30 AM

If the topic is fiscal responsibility, Frank is a very questionable candidate.

Fiscal responsibility is irrelevant To Frank…..unless you mean his responsibility, as a member of the Senate, in assisting in creating policies of redistribution of other peoples’ money to favored voting blocs, cronies and himself.

Not to mention, he misses being a big shot in DC and the after working hours highlife. Party on!

hawkeye54 on January 9, 2013 at 11:40 AM

He’d said that he wanted to spend more time with his husband. Is he already bored?

Schadenfreude on January 9, 2013 at 12:24 PM

clippermiami on January 9, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Bingo. Proggies and union goons love that double-dipping deal.

slickwillie2001 on January 9, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Die you slobbering treasonous old queer, die.

rayra on January 9, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Die you slobbering treasonous old queer, die.

rayra on January 9, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Your persistent ambiguity and deliberate obtuseness undermines your message.

/sarc(<-not necessary)