Wanted: $1 million donations for Obama’s inauguration

posted at 6:51 pm on January 8, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

And the ‘dramatic reversal’ only continues to get more dramatic as the main event approaches. For his 2009 inauguration, Obama’s inaugural committee specifically banned donations from corporations and what they deemed excessive individual donations in a much-vaunted maneuver to demonstrate how special interests would not dominate his presidency… but meh, enough with the charade already, times are tough:

Planners of President Barack Obama’s second inauguration are making an unprecedented solicitation for high-dollar contributions up to $1 million to help pay for the celebration in exchange for special access.

The changes are part of a continuing erosion of Obama’s pledge to keep donors and special interests at arm’s length of his presidency. He has abandoned the policy from his first inauguration to accept donations up to only $50,000 from individuals, announcing last month that he would take unlimited contributions from individuals and corporations.

A fundraising appeal obtained by The Associated Press shows the Presidential Inaugural Committee is going far beyond his previous self-imposed limits – or apparently any fundraising in the modern history of American presidential inaugurations – by offering donors four VIP packages named after the country’s founding fathers. …

But the pressure is high to pay for the festivities after donors already contributed to the most expensive political race in U.S. history, a campaign that exceeded $2 billion. So far, health care executives and major Democratic Party donors – including those who’ve taken private meetings with Obama or his senior staff – are among those paying for the party.

Again, the fact that a president is seeking donations to fund some inaugural festivities would not be such a big deal, if Team Obama had not specifically made it such a big deal. The spirit of Hopenchange was pervasive enough in 2008 and early 2009 to fully fund as many glamorous parties as a brand new administration could ask for, so at the time the Democrats had no issues making much ado of the moral compass ostensibly directing them to reject all major and corporate donations — but now that they’re suddenly having trouble finding funds from a disenchanted audience after an expensive election cycle, it’s all suddenly okay again.

And as for all of those special and corporate interests that weren’t supposed to characterize Obama’s presidency? Riiiiight:

“This was a pure White House ask,” one GOP Senate aide familiar with the fiscal cliff negotiations told me when I asked how $60+ billion of special-interest tax breaks ended up in the fiscal cliff deal. I called and emailed the White House for days, but couldn’t get confirmation or denial.

But now Reuters seems to corroborate what my Republican sources told me:

White House spokesman Jay Carney on Monday said that Obama supported the overall package of tax breaks for businesses. He emphasized that the president favored the wind energy credit and tax benefits for research and development to encourage “job-creating research investments.”

Comments

Just run off a few $1 million platinum coins.

rbj on January 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Gotcha covered, President 10-289.

The platinum coin’s in the mail.

$

MichaelGabriel on January 8, 2013 at 6:54 PM

So we get more of the same old Democrat money laundering. How is that a story?

DannoJyd on January 8, 2013 at 6:55 PM

they don’t look like THEIR eating peas.

renalin on January 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Disgusting. You want to have a party, you pay for it or have the guests pay for it. Don’t beg for money.

Blake on January 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Corzine should be able to fund the whole thing with pocket change.

Kataklysmic on January 8, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I am not sure I get it. He’s keeping the same job.

CW on January 8, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Why doesn’t Obama just charge it to the taxpayers like he always does? Or are donations more self-aggrandizing for him?

Liam on January 8, 2013 at 7:03 PM

F*ck America – Pass the Ripple! Let’s party!

Pork-Chop on January 8, 2013 at 7:04 PM

It’s merely a compassionate “last call” effort by Obama to offer businesses and industries an opportunity to “buy” some indulgences … and maybe be removed from his enemies regulate-to-death or outright nationalize list.

ShainS on January 8, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Sure you could put up $1M if you really want the free tote bag, but you get the barky-care waiver at the $100,000 giving level.

Lost in Jersey on January 8, 2013 at 7:10 PM

So this thread is where all the trolls are. *looks around* Huh? Not a one, fancy that.

Bmore on January 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM

rogerb, I’m waiting for you to repost my comment on money in politics. What hole are you hiding in?

lester on August 6, 2012 at 9:10 AM

rogerb on January 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM

rogerb on January 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Lol! I spoke to soon. ; )

Bmore on January 8, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Pay to play. Awesome.

America has become a joke on itself.

beatcanvas on January 8, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I’ll get right on that – let me get my checkbook.

gophergirl on January 8, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Needless to say, I’d give a million and raise 99 million more for his inaugural, to be paid immediately upon his resignation immediately thereafter.

TXUS on January 8, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Blake on January 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Don’t mistake the Obamas for people capable of shame.

Kataklysmic on January 8, 2013 at 7:20 PM

obama’s Flukeslut wants everyone to do their part on inauguration day …

andra Fluke ‏@SandraFluke

For my fellow Angelenos, here’s a way to be a part of the National Day of Service in connection with the inauguration.

Pork-Chop on January 8, 2013 at 7:22 PM

i’d swallow a penny, and have them dig through my waste in my toilet bowl to get it.

GhoulAid on January 8, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Pork-Chop on January 8, 2013 at 7:22 PM

How many freaking national days of service are there now?

gophergirl on January 8, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I still can’t believe this gang of out-to-lunch, incompetent looter pri#*s got re-elected.

Stunning to say the least.

BigWyo on January 8, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Tomorrow, Jan 9, 2013, is the centennial of the birth of Richard Nixon

The Nixon Library Foundation is hosting a celebration tomorrow night at the Mayflower in DC

J_Crater on January 8, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Panhandler In Chief.

We are so boned.

2lbsTest on January 8, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I’ll get right on that – let me get my checkbook.

gophergirl on January 8, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Good snark.

Didnt need a tag.

SparkPlug on January 8, 2013 at 7:27 PM

The fact they raise any money for a party makes me sick. The so-called President of the little people…God it never ends with this nightmare.

Conan on January 8, 2013 at 7:27 PM

The day of the inauguration, I would like to see the streets empty with tumbleweeds blowing in the wind and crickets chirping.

Russ86 on January 8, 2013 at 7:27 PM

The obamas are pigs. Greedy pigs.

SparkPlug on January 8, 2013 at 7:28 PM

How many freaking national days of service are there now?

gophergirl on January 8, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Every day is a national day of reverence to his eminence…

4 moar years of this #hit….

Hallelujah!!!

Where’s the Tylenol Heroin

BigWyo on January 8, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Russ86 on January 8, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I’m wearing all black to work.

gophergirl on January 8, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Good snark.

Didnt need a tag.

SparkPlug on January 8, 2013 at 7:27 PM

:) thank you

gophergirl on January 8, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Where’s the Tylenol Heroin

BigWyo on January 8, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Don’t forget the alcohol. Must have lots of alcohol.

gophergirl on January 8, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Hello, is this George Soros? . . . . .

listens2glenn on January 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Security will be unarmed, right?

rogerb on January 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Don’t forget the alcohol. Must have lots of alcohol.

gophergirl on January 8, 2013 at 7:30 PM

GG…God love ya…Christmas Vacation ref went right over yer head…

BigWyo on January 8, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I sent in a zinc-plated dog turd. Sure, it’s a zinc-plated dog turd but it’s WORTH is inestimable because the dog who dropped it is a pure breed Lab.

Bishop on January 8, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Well why didn’t bho/mo/kids not to HI and spend 70+M no their vacation and THEY could fund this zoo when bho put’s his lying hand on the Bible to say he will uphold the constitution?

Our home feels we spend more than we want every 4/15 to keep the ‘royal ones’ in the wh for four more years! And WE WILL not watch those two anti-Americans on their stick in YOUR face night!
L

letget on January 8, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Pork-Chop on January 8, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Hold on now, Liver Fluke is doing her part by auctioning off opportunities for men to yell things into her yajalolo, the most echoes wins a free 12oz mouthwash.

Bishop on January 8, 2013 at 7:44 PM

That picture is just delightful. It is so nice to see them smiling and having fun at some taxpayer funded jolly after all the work they have done to destroy save America.

They built that.

CorporatePiggy on January 8, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Bishop on January 8, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Has His Lordship designated it as such???

NO?? Then is is just dog$hit.

I bid you good day sir!!!

BigWyo on January 8, 2013 at 7:51 PM

yajalolo,
Bishop on January 8, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Ok, I been around for awhile, I ain’t ever heard that one before…

BigWyo on January 8, 2013 at 7:53 PM

It is a dog turn from a pure breed Lab with an excellent bloodline, that dog cost me a small fortune.

It’s also coated with zinc.

Bishop on January 8, 2013 at 8:00 PM

GhoulAid on January 8, 2013 at 7:23 PM

They may have a spare bottle of Coca Cola in the chef’s pantry in order to ease the passage of that waste. (See the Headline thread.)

Sorry, but my last check was written to my electricity provider.

onlineanalyst on January 8, 2013 at 8:01 PM

January 21, right?
I am off that day.
Maybe I should go into work anyway to take my mind off the calamity.

22044 on January 8, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Conan on January 8, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Well, he did ask that graduates and newlyweds give their gifts to his campaign.

onlineanalyst on January 8, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Bishop on January 8, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I’m looking for the trap…ain’t seeing it..

…but there ya go.

BigWyo on January 8, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Corzine should be able to fund the whole thing with pocket change.

Kataklysmic on January 8, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Since he is now home-free because of Bammie’s reelection, yes.

I expect that the slob Warren Buffett will also not be paying his billion dollar back-tax bill, so he should be equally grateful.

slickwillie2001 on January 8, 2013 at 8:20 PM

…nice picture!…You can dress them up!…But you can’t take them out!

KOOLAID2 on January 8, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Put it on the EBT card, like everybody does, apparently.

coldwarrior on January 8, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Obama could always hock that Nobel Peace prize…hardly been used…maybe Rick over at Pawn Stars could get a few bucks for it.

coldwarrior on January 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Maybe he should pay for his “look at me, everybody!” party out of his own pocket. Taxpayers were just stiffed for another $20 million dollar vacation tab.

Many democrats are discovering this week, that they are now platinum members of the “fair share” club, “unexpectedly.” As those first paychecks of the year start to come in, liberals are finding $60, $100, $200 or more dollars less in take home pay. Welcome to the club, fellas!

Rich liberals that supported Obama got their own personal tax breaks (hollywood and companies like GE, who pay little or no tax). For their support of Obama, working class liberals received a nice little tax increase. Eat your peas.

Now he wants others to pay for his lavish “me, me, me…look at me, everyone!” party, while the rest of America struggles to put food on the table. Classy.

BruthaMan on January 8, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Either give to the inauguration of your own free will, or we’ll just tax it out of you.

Left Coast Right Mind on January 8, 2013 at 9:03 PM

God, they look so stupid.

Schadenfreude on January 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I’m wearing all black to work.

gophergirl on January 8, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Thats a great idea! I will do the same :) I hope the school I work at doesn’t make the students watch the inauguration like they did the first time! I went to an empty classroom and read a book!

wolverinefan on January 8, 2013 at 9:30 PM

If the couple had any character they’d do a small scale ceremony, having just returned from a multimillion dollar vacation at our expense. alas, they’ve never been known for being humble. Unfortunately, this being their last term, God willing, I expect them to have multiple multimillion dollar vacations and gala events before its all over.

scalleywag on January 8, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Well it’s not like Barry expects to be crowned KING or anything. Or does he?

GarandFan on January 8, 2013 at 11:46 PM

I sent them a request for a refund of the $66 bucks that were stolen from my paycheck with a promise to donate said $66 bucks to the Dumbass Marxist Inauguration Party Committee.
BTW…Daughter works for the Park Service on the Inauguration planning. Says security is way over the top this time. Also reports that attendence will be “unexpectedly” light. Nobody gives a crap about the greedy Marxist and his undeserving family.
May God grant them their unknown wish; a painful death without fanfare.

dirtengineer on January 9, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Sucks when your voting base just figured out they got a massive tax increase, doesn’t it? Kind of sucks from the pool of money that could have given Chitcago garbage the party they surly deserved.

MNHawk on January 9, 2013 at 8:48 AM