Moderate Republican group dropping “Republican” from name

posted at 9:31 pm on January 8, 2013 by Allahpundit

Part of a wider post-election splintering on the right, I think. There was a story last week about centrist establishment Republicans seeking to re-assert themselves in primaries to blunt the influence of tea partiers, followed shortly by a story about Bill Kristol maybe launching a new Republican version of the DLC to support “reformist” fiscal policies. Conservatives knocked down Boehner’s “Plan B” and then nearly succeeded at pushing him to a second ballot in the Speaker election; meanwhile, Chris Christie firmed up his blue-state Republican brand by grandstanding over the House GOP’s failure to vote on the Sandy relief bill. Just today, Glenn Beck announced that he’s re-launching The Blaze as a libertarian network that’ll act as an alternative to the “far right,” a point he illustrated with a screencap of former Fox News colleague Sean Hannity. Whole lotta maneuvering out there right now on our side.

Enter former GOP rep and noted Boehner ally Steve LaTourette, who’s going to show those “chuckleheads” in the tea party a thing or two by … embracing Democrats? Behold as the Republican Main Street Partnership becomes the Main Street Partnership:

The group’s new president, former Ohio Republican Rep. Steven LaTourette, told Yahoo News that he plans to begin conversations with Blue Dog Democrats and centrist groups in the coming months.

“The goal is to try and fill the void that is the middle,” LaTourette, who resigned from Congress this year, said. “The American political system is like a doughnut: You’ve got sides, but you don’t have anything in the middle, and it would be my goal to work with Republicans and Democrats who want to find the path forward to getting things done and compromise.”

In a statement released Tuesday afternoon, LaTourette added: “While we have changed our name, we have not changed our values or our mission. We will continue to be a right of center organization and continue to represent the governing wing of the Republican Party.”

The Main Street Partnership will also expand its super PAC, Defending Main Street, to aid center-right members of both parties, LaTourette said, adding, “It’s not going to be focused so much on party as it is on protecting people from the right and left extremes if they choose to do the right things.”

Two questions. One: Why would a group that claims to represent the “governing wing of the Republican Party” want to protect centrist Democrats? Blue Dogs tend to come from reddish districts, which makes them the lowest-hanging fruit for the GOP. If you want to protect the Republicans’ ability to govern while making the House more moderate, stick to backing centrists in Republican and Democratic primaries. Two: Among the members of the Republican Main Street Partnership is new Republican Conference chair (and fellow Boehner ally) Cathy McMorris-Rogers. Ed Kilgore wonders how long she and other GOP congressmen will remain affiliated with the group once it ends up backing its first Democrat. Good question. It’s one thing to be linked to RINOs, it’s another to be linked to an org that’s bankrolling candidates who are running against the party. What Republican’s going to want to face primary voters bearing a “seal of approval” like that?

Exit question: Isn’t there already a squishy group out there that’s all about shedding labels?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Michael Savage, the real deal when it comes to conservatism, is promoting the idea of a 3rd Nationalist party based on borders, language & culture, a theme he has advocated since he first got on the radio. Acknowledging that he is too old to start such a movement, he said the Tea Party had the fundamentals of such a group, but was minus a leader.

“Savage declared while clarifying that the term “nationalism” must be redefined away from the popular misconception of 1930s European-style nationalism associated with fascism and socialism. Savage defined his version of nationalism as: “Borders, language, culture. It defines every nation on the planet, the flag, the language, the borders. And what is it the internationalists do? They want to dissolve the borders, they want to introduce multiculturalism, they want to introduce a Tower of Babel of languages.”

“There is no Republican Party. It’s an appendage of the Democrat machine, as we’ve all just seen. It’s two-card Monte, as we well know. It’s a game being played against the American people. You’ve got the drunk Boehner on the one side, and the quasi-pseudo-crypto Marxist on the other, who is really just enjoying the ride in Hawaii right now, representing his factions.”

Belle on January 8, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Belle on January 8, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Good read, thanks for posting!

“Homeland movements” are basically the only viable tactic remaining to salvage anything. We do not have the numbers or the firepower to take the whole enchilada from the liberals, much less occupy it if we somehow managed to do so.

I’m very heartened to know about his efforts. Up until now the ONLY operational homeland movement of any size I knew about (and I looked for ‘em!) had a pretty racist background. And the penny-ante religious fringe cult homeland movements won’t ever amount to a thing, so forget them.

MelonCollie on January 8, 2013 at 11:11 PM

South Park makes millions, but it’s still nothing more than the result of people with no artistic talent and mentally arrested at an age where poop jokes were the height of comedy.

Obama is the elected leader of the USA and wields power we don’t even know about. He’s still nothing but the pathetic product of a barbarian and a tribal who gets by with promises of free stuff.

Glenn Blech has the 3rd highest ratings in a semi-obsolete medium, but for all that entails, he’s a fruitcake and a weathervane at best. And at worse he’s a complete loon who has too much money and influence to be quietly hauled off to the funny farm.

MelonCollie on January 8, 2013 at 11:06 PM

WOW just WOW.

It makes millions but no one wants to watch it. What the what? You so deluded you think an army of people is holding guns at peoples heads and forcing them to watch South Park and Glenn Beck?

I mean really you may dislike these shows but obviously they are successful. Yet you deny that.

WOW just WOW.

Steveangell on January 8, 2013 at 11:15 PM

But, but, we need to give more money to Israel.

letoile du nord on January 8, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Belle on January 8, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Glenn Beck is working with Freedomworks to draw the GOP back to conservative values. We always win when we get the GOP to campaign on conservative values but we seldom do that I guess the leadership would rather lose so the DNC always gets their way.

Sad to say the GOP will probably have to go the way of the Whig Party.

Steveangell on January 8, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I feel very safe saying you are just envious of his success.

Steveangell on January 8, 2013 at 10:57 PM

There you go, going by your feelings again, just like prone-toward-crying Glenn! Unlike your assessment of me, which is based upon nothing other than my criticism of Glenn, Glenn has a loooooong track record to look at.

I should and will make it clear that I don’t believe Glenn is totally ego-driven, but I do believe his ego interferes in his observations and decisions far more significantly than it does people like Rush, Sean, and Mark Steyn – he is not as bizarre as Michael Savage, but he is closer to him developmentally than he is to the others I just mentioned.

If you don’t believe my take, I suggest you look again at how he positioned himself as being a ‘reasonable’ alternative to the “far right” and the “far left – that’s self-aggrandizing behavior. Maybe not malignantly so, but it’s self-aggrandizing nonetheless.

Anti-Control on January 8, 2013 at 11:33 PM

LaTourette was known to vote against party leadership: He opposed a measure that would strip federal funding of National Public Radio in 2011, and he was one of just two Republicans who did not support censuring Attorney General Eric Holder.

He’s gone from congress, so defund the ‘rat propagandists at NPR already. I guess this clown’s definition of “center-right” is forcing me to fund the Democrat media machine.

Buddahpundit on January 8, 2013 at 11:38 PM

LaTourette is Boehner’s BFF, two peas in a pod.

That this disgusting RINO swine would come out embracing Dems doesn’t surprise me one bit.

Norwegian on January 8, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Anti-Control on January 8, 2013 at 11:33 PM

What he actually said is “the far right” (fox) and “the far left” MSM are both firmly for BIG GOVERNMENT.

Glenn Beck is against that. That seems reasonable to me I am with him 100% on that one.

But if he was just about ego he could have stoked it far better by conforming.

He does not get huge audiences and readership for no reason. Egocentric people seldom get and keep large audiences.

Steveangell on January 8, 2013 at 11:42 PM

LaTourette is Boehner’s BFF, two peas in a pod.

Norwegian on January 8, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I’m only shocked it didn’t happen any sooner.

Myron Falwell on January 8, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Michael Savage, the real deal when it comes to conservatism, is promoting the idea of a 3rd Nationalist party based on borders, language & culture…“Borders, language, culture. It defines every nation on the planet, the flag, the language, the borders. And what is it the internationalists do? They want to dissolve the borders, they want to introduce multiculturalism, they want to introduce a Tower of Babel of languages.”

Belle on January 8, 2013 at 11:08 PM

I watched the film “Gangs of New York” last night, and this reminds me of nothing more than the ramblings of “Bill the Butcher,” the leader of the “Natives,” railing against the Irish Catholic immigrants who he believed were despoiling his “homeland” of New York. I don’t have a dog in this fight, but it seems to me that reconstituting the Know Nothing party is probably not the conservatives’ best bet for the future.

cam2 on January 8, 2013 at 11:52 PM

That’s because “Moderate” Republicans are democrats.

Fighton03 on January 9, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Love it how “moderates” get their guy. And then when he loses, they dump the party.

besser tot als rot on January 9, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Reminds me of all of those clowns out there whining that Ronald Reagan couldn’t get nominated for president anymore when the GOP had just nominated Mitt Romney!! These are the purveyors of wisdom that we are supposed to be listening to for sage advise?! You’ve got to be kidding me!

besser tot als rot on January 9, 2013 at 12:21 AM

But if he was just about ego he could have stoked it far better by conforming.

Steveangell on January 8, 2013 at 11:42 PM

You’ve got to be kidding when you make an argument saying that egocentric people seldom get and keep large audiences – do you know the difference between “seldom” and “never? Have you ever heard of the Clintons, or 0dumba, or Michael Savage?

And to say that Sean Hannity is not a fiscal Conservative, but instead is a guy who’s actually for big government? That is literally nuts, and anyone who believes it is outed as a clown. How many issues do you believe Sean and Glenn have major disagreements about? If you had paid closer attention, you’d have noticed that Glenn didn’t say Fox was for big government, he criticized them for ‘too much yelling’.

It’s funny how you keep giving the impression that your observational skills are not very good, isn’t it?

Anti-Control on January 9, 2013 at 12:28 AM

But if he was just about ego he could have stoked it far better by conforming.

Steveangell on January 8, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Sorry, dude. I’ve been listening to Beck on/off for a decade.

He’s his own worst enemy, and he knows it.

He tried to become Mr. Tele-vangical on FNC as a way to get into primetime, but the audience it left him with is not the one built for an online media conglom. He knows this, which is why he went after Current.

The whole Mercury/Blaze operation is bloated. Too many no-talent ivy leaguers and Mo’s. He bashes high-brow college for years, then hires a boatload of them because he wants the pedigree.

The guy called himself a futurist this week and is stuck in an OCD bubble of Ray Kurzweil and “singularity”. This is the guy who said he couldn’t stand his son pretending to be a superhero, but then had his arse kiss by the Spider-Man production, which lead to a consideration of starting a comic book line.

It’s ADD and then OCD. He gets bored, finds something new, and plows into it. If he didn’t, I think he would have quit radio by now.

So while I like the current Blaze revamp, I don’t think he’ll stick with it, let alone go to the degree he has to so it works.

I mean, the fact that yesterday he took back imminent societal collapse, and didn’t chalk it up to divine intervention, was amazing.

I like the guy, but his “brand” is turning into a mash-up. If he went back to his original “Daily Show” concept, he would sailing.

budfox on January 9, 2013 at 1:00 AM

I’ve followed this blog now for years kind of lurking and watching the conservative movement, as in “small c” like Clint would say unfold. I’ve heard some pretty crazy things as well from trolls or responders, and I haven’t commented until now.

Not sure how to quote someone with this commenting system, but Belle’s response earlier about Savage is VERY dangerous to the conservative movement. Liberty does not belong to people based on their language, nor to a specific culture, and certainly not to any border on a map. Liberty is the idea that Man’s rights are derived from Natural Law, that men constitute governments to establish certain public relationships which protect those rights, and that we must restrain the power of the state from consuming our rights and dominating one another as is the nature of man’s being.

To say that Liberty is dependent on language, culture, and borders is to put a container on what is a universal human condition. Savage wants to go backwards towards a “golden age of liberty” in America which likely never existed in the first place versus adapting our message and carrying it forward to a new generation of people. Conservatives can be forward thinkers, and the reliance and understanding of Natural Law and negative Liberty are the two key things to push us forward, and the first person that can articulate it will lead the next generation of Republicans.

Personally, LIB, because the folks behind us won’t have much need for Parties.

lesreaper on January 9, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Question 1: Because they are closer to the Democrats at the seat of power than they are to those they claim to represent.

Question 2: The Institutional Republicans will see no problem with this. Those who are not Institutionals may see the virtues of dropping the Republican title themselves.

I left the Republican Party on January 2nd. I’m glad I beat this. But, you all do realize that this is not something that just “happened” overnight. This had to have been planned for some time, perhaps back before November 6. I will be passing this to my county TEA Party group. We need a SECOND Party, if not for elections [which may neither happen nor have a legitimate vote count] then at least as a rallying point for the opposition to the Left in the days to come.

Subotai Bahadur on January 9, 2013 at 1:19 AM

( s i g h )

“No comment.”

listens2glenn on January 9, 2013 at 1:19 AM

The pic accompanying this topic reminds me of something I noticed a couple months ago, the adoption of the Purple People Beater ‘power tie’. SEIU Purple ties are everywhere now. IT was just union goons at their pet politicians at first. Now the GOP is wearing the things.

rayra on January 9, 2013 at 1:27 AM

The government’s idea of compromise is “you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours.

Also if something is wrong in the first place, why compromise on
it at all? Do what Nancy Reagan suggests: “Just say no!”

Its all a bunch of bs.

Amjean on January 9, 2013 at 1:37 AM

There is no “wider post-election splintering on the Right,” even though AP would like to think there is.

Jenfidel on January 9, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Sorry, dude. I’ve been listening to Beck on/off for a decade.

He’s his own worst enemy, and he knows it.

budfox on January 9, 2013 at 1:00 AM

What causes you to believes he knows that about himself? My impression of him is just the opposite, which in part explains why he isn’t “sailing” as he could be.

Anti-Control on January 9, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Sorry, dude. I’ve been listening to Beck on/off for a decade.

He’s his own worst enemy, and he knows it.

budfox on January 9, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Right.

You are obviously a “seminar caller”.

Man if you were right I could get a 100 million radio deal like he recently did.

You go get your 100 million radio deal then talk about how bad Glenn is doing.

MORON.

Steveangell on January 9, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Subotai Bahadur on January 9, 2013 at 1:19 AM

I have not left the GOP yet but I sure as heck did not vote for the ultra liberal Democrat Mitt Romney. What on earth were people thinking nominating someone who denied being a Republican in every election he ran in in Mass?

Why this organization? I think they realize that Conservatives are about to unseat them from the GOP and if they fail bolt the GOP. After all Freedom works just booted Dick Army Establishment traitor out. Real Conservatives are getting sick and tired of the Establishment ruling like Kings over us.

Steveangell on January 9, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Also if something is wrong in the first place, why compromise on
it at all? Do what Nancy Reagan suggests: “Just say no!”

Its all a bunch of bs.

Amjean on January 9, 2013 at 1:37 AM

I wish that were so but it is not.

The Government’s idea of compromise is force the Republicans to do it the way the Democrats want it done. The fiscal “deal” proves that beyond doubt.

The GOP leadership might as well have shown all the GOP voters the middle finger.

Steveangell on January 9, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Steveangell on January 9, 2013 at 2:24 AM

I guess you missed the last election cycle or you would know how the GOP ‘leadership’ has been doing exactly that for a few years now.

I really get a laugh at the idea of ‘moderate’ democrats. Perhaps someone can tell me how many of those voted to elect Boehner or ANY republican to the speakership of the House instead of kissing Pelousy’s and 0bama’s derierre.

These so-called ‘moderates’ are merely linguini spined sheep who are childishly afraid of being called names. In my opinion, not only are we in better shape without them but they will soon regret their decision to finally show their true colors. If they want to align themselves with the party that gave us Toxic Assetts and Rom-0bamacare then so be it.

The only hope of saving the GOP is the TEA Party as only those representatives elected by them are showing any true representation of We The People today, and the Americans who cannot assist with those efforts are playing right into the hands of the corrupt-o-crats.

If not YOU, who?

DannoJyd on January 9, 2013 at 6:13 AM

Frankly, I’ve in favor of the divorce myself. Time for the repubs and the conservatives to split. The GOP is nothing more than liberal light, both parties believe higher taxes are the answer to our fiscal problems.

Panther on January 9, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Sounds like establishment RINOs are going for one party rule…democRAT. F the Republican Party. I am a Conservative looking for someone to represent my ideals and values(not to mention that old rag the Constitution)!

Doomsday on January 9, 2013 at 7:19 AM

How can they “represent the governing wing of the Republican Party if they’re “not going to be focused so much on party?”

Whatever – another RINO group who won’t be seeing any of my money.

katiejane on January 9, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Oops – forgot to add – it will be interesting to see how many here at HA criticize others for not supporting this group’s candidates because “they’ll be better than far Left libs

katiejane on January 9, 2013 at 7:45 AM

LaTourette is an idiot and traitor. Any Republican that runs with his org’s endoresement is a fool.

Quartermaster on January 9, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Steven LaTourette

So when is this particular pvssy going to man up, and offer up HIS plan to reduce deficits. Or is this just a play for the stupid vote?

MNHawk on January 9, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Obama will have the house back in 2014, It’s just a matter of time.

rubberneck on January 9, 2013 at 8:52 AM

He isn’t libertarian.

Dante on January 8, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Well if you can define a Libertarian for me…every time I talk to one I get different answers. But then I get different answers when I ask what Conservatives, Progresives, Liberals, Moderates, Republicans, Democrats, etc. are too. IMO he’s more of a Libertarian. Your opinion may vary. No big deal..it’s politics.

Deanna on January 9, 2013 at 9:01 AM

The Republican party has been has been hijacked by far right Tea Party extremists! They’ll never win again unless they go full-bore centrist!! Maybe even liberal!!!

I have an idea. How about the Republicans choose the most liberal guy in the Republican primaries as their candidate? And then they should combine that with a lot of can’t-lose establishment senatorial candidates in states like Virginia and Wisconsin rather than those pesky Tea Party-backed extremists.

It’s a guaranteed winner, I tell ya!!!!

CJ on January 9, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Belle on January 8, 2013 at 11:08 PM

He’s the only one I listen to now.

Mr. Arrogant on January 9, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Deanna on January 9, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Well, capital L Libertarian is a member of the Libertarian Party. Lowercase l libertarian is one who subscribes to libertarianism philosophy, which is based on a simple premise:

“that each person has the right to live his life in any way he chooses so long as he respects the equal rights of others. Libertarians defend each person’s right to life, liberty, or property – rights that people possess naturally, before governments are created. All human relationships should be voluntary; the only actions that should be forbidden by law are those that involve the initiation of force against those who have not themselves used force – actions like murder, rape, kidnapping, and fraud,” and that this should apply to actions by government as well as individuals. Governments should exist to protect rights, to protect us from others who might use force against us. When governments use force against people who have not violated the rights of others, then governments themselves become rights violators. Thus libertarians condemn such government actions as censorship, the draft, price controls, confiscation of property, and regulation of our personal and economic lives.”

- David Boaz, Libertarianism: A Primer

Dante on January 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Was it William F Buckley that said “Any institution not explicitly conservative will, given enough time, become liberal”?
And, he might have been overly optimistic at that.

GWB on January 9, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Beck is already a has-been. Whatever happened to GBTV?

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Anti-Control on January 9, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Because he changed the structure of the show. The whole point of Pat and Stu now are to clean up what he says and/or stop him from going on a rant he can’t recover from, while taking as few calls as possible.

Right.

You are obviously a “seminar caller”.

You go get your 100 million radio deal then talk about how bad Glenn is doing.

MORON.

Steveangell on January 9, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Where did I say his radio show was doing bad? I didn’t.

Glenn’s admitted his Blaze costs are outstripping revenue, which is why he’s constantly trying to balance his plans so he doesn’t go into deep red.

Hell, that was the point of his “viewers like you” commentary last night. He does not want to take on partners to covers costs,(technically he has, but that’s a different debate).

You’re a remedial reader, Steve.

budfox on January 9, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Dante on January 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM

You’re not a libertarian so you do not get to speak for us. Even though anarcho-capitalism is a strain of libertarianism, you made sure to put this libertarian in her place last week when I made the mistake of assuming that you were one.

You get to speak for the “anarcho-capitalists”…ONLY.

Resist We Much on January 9, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Beck is already a has-been. Whatever happened to GBTV?

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 10:14 AM

It has more subscribers than Oprah’s channel has viewers and is now available on DISH.

Resist We Much on January 9, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Beck is already a has-been. Whatever happened to GBTV?

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Resist We Much on January 9, 2013 at 10:23 AM

So? Oprah’s also a has-been. I wonder how many of those “far-righties” Beck cold get to another massive gathering like his 8/28 thing in 2010.

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Lol. Nobody wants the dreaded “republican” name associated with them. I know I don’t anymore.

KickandSwimMom on January 9, 2013 at 10:32 AM

KickandSwimMom on January 9, 2013 at 10:32 AM

The ironic thing is that the squishes who destroyed the “brand” are the ones “leaving”. But of course they’re not going anywhere.

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Glenn Beck is what results from honestly and courageously forcing oneself to really recognize our political madness. It’s people who claim to understand it but don’t come off as a little crazy or don’t cry on occasion that I question.

Virtually all Beck’s “conspiracy theories” are mostly right and most are completely right. The people who can’t stand him are the ones who don’t understand the new game and think this is still 2002 where the Republican Party just needs the right message, candidate and organization to win. That’s over people. We’re on the verge of economic Armageddon, and the left is prepared to “save us” from it. Fox News and Sean Hannity will probably be road kill along with most of the contributers to Hot Air.

elfman on January 9, 2013 at 10:37 AM

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 10:34 AM

It’s called repackaging. Like when the liberals started calling themselves progressives. The republican party is associated with moderate dem-like people now so the squishes may as well keep the name because the conservatives have no use for it.

KickandSwimMom on January 9, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Stop all this naval gazing and rebranding talk and responding to the MSM. Even “N0-Labels” is a brand.

Get to your issues, and get to work. Allahpundit, don’t put these speculative articles in here, they just make people feel crazier.

Fleuries on January 9, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Exit answer is the Alternative headline: A PAC of obvious RINOs decide to identify themselves what everybody else already knows them to be: DEMOCRATS

locomotivebreath1901 on January 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM

elfman on January 9, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Oh, come on. Glenn Beck was a superstar when he went after the Obama administrations’ various fruitcakes and closet-Marxists. The Van Jones’ group went after him with boycotts and stuff and Glenn suddenly lost the taste for confrontation. And then he lost his spot on Fox. His radio show is getting harder and harder to find, offline.

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM

elfman on January 9, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Beck is a phony. For someone who constantly repeats, “Question with boldness,” and who constantly screams for “truth,” he sure likes to avoid truth, stays in his little thought box, and ridicules people.

Dante on January 9, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Glenn Beck is working with Freedomworks

Steveangell on January 8, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Classic “having it both ways”. Take money and audience from that gauzy “Far Right” bunch of scaries while bleating that you’re so much better than they are. That’s why fewer and fewer have any use for Glenn Beck.

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Steveangell on January 8, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Glenn Beck is working with for Freedomworks to draw the GOP Tea Party members back to conservative values his business.

verbaluce on January 9, 2013 at 11:02 AM

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Did you happen to see how many of those “far-righties” he manage to attract to Dallas for his Days of Love last Summer in which he filled Cowboys’ Stadium and sent tens of thousands into the community to help in charitable projects?

Anyhoo, he’s expanding and you are??? Complaining, as usual.

Resist We Much on January 9, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Egocentric people seldom get and keep large audiences.

Steveangell on January 8, 2013 at 11:42 PM

You are so wise on this. Just look at the super-humilty of Rush Limbaugh!

Don L on January 9, 2013 at 11:06 AM

So when exactly did Ed Morrisey join?

Did he get a really cool membership card and Hat?

Tim_CA on January 9, 2013 at 11:10 AM

The historical time for the Bill Kristol’s and that of his establishment buddies has passed. Time for new conservative blood and looks like Mr. Cruz has that box checked at this point. By all means Kristol, spend that money Dude but just know my last dollar went to Rove’s American Cross Roads which was beaten like a drum by this loser President and his children posse. Raising taxes on job creators? Not this time Billy Boy, outside of D.C. you will see you’re on your own and I do mean on your own.

Tangerinesong on January 9, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Mr. Arrogant: “He’s the only one I listen to now”.

I’m with you on that one!

After so many turncoats (eg. Justice Roberts (will go down in history for rewriting law to approve Obamacare), Paul Ryan (shouldn’t be a surprise, he voted for TARP, & same with the fiscal nocliff bill), Steve King (blasting Congress for not voting for $60 billion of pork), John Boehner (remember, crying, I hear you America, & then kicks off 4 conservatives from committees & caves on the 60 billion Sandy pork bill that’ll be voted on 1/15) this provides the unsurmountable evidence that the GOP is rotting from inside out.

Us conservatives, constitutionalists, nationalists have very few places to go. We are indeed a minority, but we’re not dead yet!

Belle on January 9, 2013 at 11:20 AM

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 10:34 AM

The “squishes” are basically moving towards the Democrats. We’ve seen this happen more and more as the Charlie Crist types get tired of being associated with conservatism in any way.

The conservatives, meanwhile, have been abandoning the Republican Party in droves. We’re seeing the modern day equivalent to the decline of the Whig Party, here. Mitt Romney = Winfield Scott.

Doomberg on January 9, 2013 at 11:27 AM

BREAKING NEWS — OBAMA TO IGNORE CONSITUTION / CONGRESS TO ‘GO AFTER GUNS’

VP Biden states Obama is considerig issuing EXECUTIVE ORDERS, thereby BY-PASSING CONGRESS, to institute new gun laws / regulations as a result of the recent shooting crime…

2ND TERM, NOTHING TO LOSE – OBAMA ‘GOING FOR BROKE’!

easyt65 on January 9, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Belle on January 8, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Such a party does exist – it’s called the Conservative Party USA (conservativepartyusa.org).

psrch on January 9, 2013 at 11:45 AM

References to Glenn Beck here.

I miss Glen Beck being on Fox (or before that, CNN) where I could get as much as I wanted and move along. The only place I can hear Glen is on the blaze radio.

He is a valuable contributor to thinking. I am not sure he is actually a contributor to our politics, I think he likes to stay out, but I had not heard about the libertarian thing someone put here.

In MA the libertarians mostly want Pot legalized and see the constitution as their champion thru that lens. They won’t team play to get anyone elected, they won’t help elect local republicans because then they will look dirty. They won’t help out on campaigns, because they are above it all.

A bunch of them registered at the last minute to select delegates to the republican convention, and swamped our small groups of people who wanted to be delegates, who are always there, giving their time and their money to small candidate nobody knows about, holding up the teeny weeny republican firewall here. 100 people descended on my delegate polling place and hijacked the whole proceeding. Then when you ask them to put in some time in Scott Brown’s campaign, they are no where to be seen. We think they are really liberals…spoilers…all heresay, just what I experienced.

Fleuries on January 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Dante on January 9, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I hear that line a lot, that Beck’s a phony, but never with specifics. How is Beck a phony? List a few instances please. List just one “truth” that he has avoided?

As far as “just stay[ing] in his little thought box, and ridicule[ing] people”, you don’t know what your talking about.

He bought out Cowboy Stadium for 2 days last July for his week long Restoring Love event. As part of it, he organized 3 semis of food for the needy and organized thousands of people to repair homes of the indigent.

He just put out an excellent two part series on the Muslim Brotherhood in America. Before that it was documentaries on terrorist coming in across the border, two unmasking the Arab Spring and the history of Israel. He’s put out dozens of documentaries and in depth interviews, many of which would put the networks to shame even if they were allowed to air them. I have learned more from his program than any other.

You’re not looking past the comedy, the as seen on TV commercial and the opinions of the bitter, bias and blind. Beck is has his faults, but I think that he is still the most valuable living person to American liberty.

elfman on January 9, 2013 at 12:11 PM

lesreaper on January 9, 2013 at 1:08 AM

We’re flirting with that edge of the Right, but I think that’s all it is, flirting in frustration after a nasty loss. We’re smarter than that and that’s why Savage is a marginal figure.

thebrokenrattle on January 9, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Anti-Control on January 9, 2013 at 12:28 AM

I guess I’m a clown then, because Sean had no problems with “big government” when President Bush and the GOP had power. Once the Democrats came in? Then, he and the other “conservatives” started balking at “big government.”

This issue with “moderate Republicans” will never be solved in the near-future because the GOP has become too infected with big government narratives.

In today’s Republican Party, giving the executive branch of the federal government untold amount of power is perfectly okay so long as it’s in the name of “national security.” In fact, the government can have as much power as it wants, just as long as it’s being used against social issues, marijuana, and never-ending war. Until the GOP decides on a “truce” with libertarians and independents, the party will continuously lose to the Santa Claus Party.

Aizen on January 9, 2013 at 12:33 PM

“…dropping Republican from name.”

It seems to have worked for liberals, who are now known as “progressives.” Progressing toward what I’m not sure. My first guess whould be national destruction.

NoPain on January 9, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Didn’t see it. Didn’t even know anything about it. Maybe you had to be a Glenn Beck GBTBVBlaze SuperSubscriber.

Anyhoo, he’s expanding and you are???

Resist We Much on January 9, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Expanding. LOL

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 12:40 PM

thebrokenrattle on January 9, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Keep flirting with the Left. It’s worked so well for you so far!

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Aizen on January 9, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Yes, you are a clown then, because you don’t know what you are talking about – Sean has never advocated for crazily irresponsible, big-government spending. If I’m wrong for saying this, where’s your evidence?

Ron Paul made the same accusation about Sean, Sean had him on his TV show about a year ago to explain the accusation because Sean didn’t like it, and Ron pathetically hemmed and hawed, sidestepping as he was completely unable to articulate why he ever made such an attack on Sean – haughty Ron embarrassed himself badly, as he so often does.

Anti-Control on January 9, 2013 at 12:55 PM

elfman on January 9, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Here’s one. Hey, it was on his site.

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I would point out that the ‘Blue Dog Democrats’ are nearly extinct, a condition caused largely by their own party. The purists, the progressives, not only forced them out of the party, but Pelosi bragged that it would make the party more ‘pure’ and hailed the extinction of the Blue Dogs as a very good thing for the progressive movement.

The same thing would eventually happen to the squish RINO version of the Blue Dogs.

These power shifts come and go, generally inspired by, and composed of, those who are gutless in the face of a series of political setbacks as the pendulum swings in its arc in favor of the opposition. These ‘new’ factions of the party are always opportunists who are seeking to curry favor, by any means available to them, simply to either stay in office, or, to be elected, principles be damned. Power, position, and money are the three idols they worship. Service to the constituency isn’t a consideration for them.

I’ll stick with those politicians who have the courage and fortitude to declare their affiliation to the party and the platform and remain loyal to the constituency that elected them.

thatsafactjack on January 9, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Then, he and the other “conservatives” started balking at “big government.”

Aizen on January 9, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Manifestly untrue. The Tea Party movement had its genesis in conservative backlash against the Bush/McCain push for amnesty and Harriet Miers. The base has been in revolt against the party for some time and not just when Obama was in power. It is likely that part of the reason Romney lost is because the base sat at home; turnout in the primaries was awful.

Doomberg on January 9, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Reading the comments just confirms to me what I concluded after seeing the results of the November election: We are screwed (I wanted to use another, better descriptive word, but this is a “family” blog I suppose) as a country.

One thing you have to admire about the donks is their ability to sacrifice any semblance of principles or even morality in the interest of maintaining unity in the face of that which they hate. It is something that conservatives just can’t do, to their own detriment.

Take, for example, the Hagel nomination for Defense Secretary: here is a man who donks would ordinarily decry as an anti-semitic, homophobic, misogynistic Rethuglican bigot; yet at the end of the day they will vote to confirm him in the Senate because, once Barry O signs him on, to the donk rank and file he becomes “Our” anti-semitic, homophobic, misogynistic Rethuglican bigot. And in such a situation they can forgive what they would otherwise find unforgivable.

Conservatives, on the other hand, resemble nothing if not a circular firing squad. They squabble and bicker among themselves, and end up looking like the Persians getting trampled under the lock-stepping Macedonian Phalanx of Alexander that is the donkey party.

It’s bad enough that the electoral demographics of this country are sliding inexorably toward a permanent donkey majority; what makes things even more pitiful is to see conservatives who, when confronted by a united evil, start sniping at one another over who is or isn’t “worthy” of carrying the conservative banner, or who gleefully fall on their own swords in the name of their “principles.”

What was the USA is being “transformed” into Honey Boo Boo America right in front of our eyes, yet we are so preoccupied fighting one another that we hardly notice. So sad.

Spurius Ligustinus on January 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM

After I posted to you last night, I figured you’d respond like this, of which I am not being critical because I agree with your point.

What I meant is that Glenn knows he’s his own worst enemy, but he doesn’t know-know it i.e. I don’t deny that Glenn is aware of a need to be restrained because of his self-sabotaging tendencies, my contention is that he’s not facing and conquering the deepest cause of his strife, which is why this personal strife continues to affect him so.

Anti-Control on January 9, 2013 at 1:12 PM

My last post was directed to budfox’s@January 9, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Anti-Control on January 9, 2013 at 1:14 PM

You defenders of the republican leadership in D.C……

While Obama gets ready to issue an Executive Order about guns we can’t get shinola backbone from the Boehner/McConnell teams.

Despicable.

PappyD61 on January 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Spurius Ligustinus on January 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM

+ 100..Excellent post..:)

PS..I would just add that we have lost the education system to the Donks for a few generations and are paying the price..:(

Dire Straits on January 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Keep flirting with the Left. It’s worked so well for you so far!

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 12:42 PM

What are you talking about?

thebrokenrattle on January 9, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Keep flirting with the Left. It’s worked so well for you so far!

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 12:42 PM

What are you talking about?

thebrokenrattle on January 9, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I’m talking about you.

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Given the lecture I got from the RINO’s (bro is Reince Prebus partner) big business is ALL-IN on dumping the TEA Party (including talk radio) in order to make peace with the Dhimmicraps.

Confrontation is bad for big business profits and the Estate Club is up in arms over the threat posed by armed, overly-expressive, and disrespectful peasants who fail to submit to their betters.

Anyone who doesn’t think that there as many elites on the Right who are on the bandwagon to bring the rest of us to heel as their are loonies on the Left who want to round us up and put us in “re-eduction / retasking (as fertilizer) camps … needs to have his or her head examined.

babylonandon on January 9, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Anti-Control on January 9, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Glenn Beck is a Rush-wannabe who doesn’t have the balls to take a fraction of the demonization that Limbaugh’s taken for nearly 25 years now. So Beck modulated into that kinder-and-gentler-and-do you like me now? mode. It hasn’t sold very well.

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Anti-Control on January 9, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Late reply, my browser crashed. ;__;

I’m talking about what Sean didn’t say, as in, his failure to stand up against big government Republicanism. Remember the MMA bill which included Medicare Part D, signed into law in 2003? What about No Child Left Behind? “Campaign Finance Reform” was passed in 02′-03′.

There’s also the massive expansion of executive power that took place during the Bush 43 era. You’d think a bunch of “conservatives” would push for changes in Congress and possibly the Presidency (putting aside how difficult it is to challenge a sitting President) before the ’04 election, but they fully went along with the big government policies of the GOP simply because they weren’t the Democrats (lesser of two evils).

Sean has also said quite consistently that he supports the federal government using its power to mandate/regulate social policy, which is straight out of the Santorum playbook and less to do with small government conservatism.

Doomberg on January 9, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I’m referring to before the Tea Party started amassing membership and power. You know, during the era of No Child Left Behind, Campaign Finance “Reform,” Medicare Part D, farm/ethanol subsidies out the wazoo, expansion of executive powers, and so on. Sean finally woke up and opposed the Dubai Ports Deal, only after the big government GOP and Bush Administration went too far.

Also? If the so-called “conservative” base of the GOP sat home because of Romney (who I voted for even though he was an atrocious nominee), how the hell did he manage to win the nomination? It just goes to show how the GOP hasn’t been “conservative” for many years, and despite all the power talk-radio conservatives allegedly wield over the party, nothing has changed.

Aizen on January 9, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Glenn Beck has always been a “loose cannon”..I liked his show on FOX and I listen to him some on the radio..Looks to me like Beck is doing what he feels he needs to do for the country in his own way..Nothing wrong with that..Good luck to him..:)

Dire Straits on January 9, 2013 at 3:02 PM

THat’s when the TP started amassing membership. It wasn’t given the label at that time. But these people were disgusted with the GOP leadership and many of them sat out the 2006 midterms. I can remember that, because they were also blamed for the existence of a Speaker Pelosi.

Aizen on January 9, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Split opposition, and no one dominating figure to take on Romney. Rick Perry might have if he had entered the race earlier. Sarah Palin if she had run would have, although the GOPe would no doubt have given her a nuke-Godzilla treatment that would’ve made 2008 look like nothing in comparison.

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Late reply, my browser crashed. ;__;

Aizen on January 9, 2013 at 2:09 PM

By the way, Hannity is a boring Republibot. I wonder why Levin (who is really one of the few left worth listening to) coddles the guy so much. Just allowances made for a personal friend, I guess.

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Here’s one. Hey, it was on his site.

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I’m not getting this. So you say that one of Beck’s Blaze editors blogged how Palin was too self promoting and screwed all the facts up, creating a stink over nothing. And that’s one what? “avoiding the truth” or being a “phony”? I agree that Beck ridicules people, but it’s certainly not “all he does” as Dante said. It’s usually VERY funny, but I’ve never seen him take even the faintest shot at Palin.

I wish someone would give me an example of Beck being phony or “avoiding the truth” as Dante claims. I saw him throw Breitbart under the bus once regarding the NAACP clip that he initially started to fall for and then falsely claimed that Breitbart was to blame for not posting the full audio (which he did). That was very small of him, something he never apologized for and Breitbart rightfully never forgave him for, but by itself over 8 years, it doesn’t make him a phony.

elfman on January 9, 2013 at 3:28 PM

elfman on January 9, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Both, actually. And to think that Palin volunteered to appear at a couple of Beck’s rallies, and was probably the main “attraction” at his 8/28 thingy. That pretty much tore it for me. Beck was pissed off that Palin expressed support for Gingrich, whom he despised.

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 3:36 PM

elfman on January 9, 2013 at 3:28 PM

By the way, yeah it does make Beck a phony. A big one. There’s a reason Breibart turned on the guy pretty vociferously.

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 3:40 PM

* Breitbart

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 3:40 PM

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 3:40 PM

It’s a cowardly act while one of the most powerful men in the world is organizing a multi-million dollar campaign to destroy him, perhaps in panic. I expect much more of a pattern than that before I call a media personality a phony.

elfman on January 9, 2013 at 3:46 PM

elfman on January 9, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Poor widdle Glenn. He’s the ONLY one in the country that the progs were after.

Beck spent 3 years or so in large part glomming off of either Palin or Breitbart.

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 3:48 PM

* glomming onto, that should be, profiting off of, etc etc

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 3:51 PM

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I take things at face value until there’s reason to do otherwise. That was one screwed up blog for a half dozen reasons by a young man on Beck’s staff. I can’t even read Beck’s mind, much less that of one of his blog editors. Beck has donated at least one full show to Palin, but that was before the election. I’ve never heard him say a bad word about her.

As for me, she lost me when she said the Debt Ceiling Deal of Aug 2011 was over all a win for Republicans because it changed the debate. But her endorsement of some kind of amnesty put me on edge first. I’ve alway said I liked her, but she needs 10 more years in politics at best before she can understand enough of the dynamics to be president.

elfman on January 9, 2013 at 3:54 PM

That young man’s still there, along with the blog post I linked. Why would Beck have to say anything bad about her, if he has underlings to do it and keep his hands clean?

elfman on January 9, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Huh?

Also read some of the comments on your typical Palin thread at the Blaze. I’m not on the same team as these a$$holes, sorry.

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Poor widdle Glenn. He’s the ONLY one in the country that the progs were after.

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 3:48 PM

If you don’t recognize how Beck’s attacks on Soros were unique as well as how Soros fought back (even sending one of his top men to meet with Roger Ailes would), you don’t know the full story.

Nothing personal, but I’m out of time to devote to this.

elfman on January 9, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Nothing personal, but I’m out of time to devote to this.

elfman on January 9, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I also noticed that Beck ran with his tail between his legs, changing his tune. So I guess Soros won.

ddrintn on January 9, 2013 at 4:03 PM