Video: “I am not your subject”

posted at 1:21 pm on January 7, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Gun owners have begun speaking out on behalf of their constitutional rights — directly, in some cases, to those who would infringe upon them.  Joshua Boston wrote a letter to Senator Dianne Feinstein, declaring that “I am not your subject,” which has drawn plenty of attention in the post-Newtown political arena.  Boston appeared on Fox and Friends this morning not just to talk about the letter, but to rebut Feinstein’s response to it:

“I am not your subject,” Boston wrote.

“I am the man who keeps you free. I am not your servant. I am the person whom you serve. I am not your peasant. I am the flesh and blood of America. I am the man who fought for my country. I am the man who learned. I am an American. You will not tell me that I must register my semi-automatic AR-15 because of the actions of some evil man.”

Boston explained that he believes once the government takes away assault weapons, it will be a “slippery slope” toward being able to restrict more and more types of firearms.

“Our firearms are important to us and they’re something that we have to have in order to keep what we have as a country going. And this starts us onto a slippery slope. They take (assault weapons) away, next they come for bolt-action guns. And there’s really no reason to register other than they confiscate at a later date in time,” said Boston.

Feinstein assured Boston that her bill would have exceptions for hunting weapons.  The former Marine told Fox’s Steve Doocy that Feinstein doesn’t understand the meaning of the 2nd Amendment:

“This idea that the rights of existing gun owners is strictly limited to hunting and sporting purposes is just absurd and has no basis in the Bill of Rights. It’s not what it was for,” said Boston, who argued that throughout history there have been examples of governments confiscating citizens’ guns.

“It’s something we’ve seen happen time and time again in history. With Stalin, it happened in Cambodia and of course, the Third Reich. No one saw that coming until it was too late,” he said.

One key reason for the 2nd Amendment is the natural right to self-defense.  Ironically, Feinstein took full advantage of that right when she needed to do so.  She armed herself in response to threats in 1995, but seems to have an issue with other Americans making that same choice.

Nor is she the only hypocrite on this stage.  John Fund discovered that the newspaper that found it necessary to endanger the entire community by publishing a map of handgun permit holders ended up getting armed guards to protect themselves after receiving heavy criticism for their decision:

Take the Journal News executives who decided to publish the gun map. The newspaper was so inundated with complaints that shortly after Christmas it took extra security precautions and hired security guards — who were armed — to patrol its Rockland County headquarters. The executives reported no incidents of any kind at the building, but they turned over at least two e-mails they found troubling. The local police said they didn’t find the e-mails threatening and concluded that they “did not constitute an offense.” The Journal News chose not to share with its readers the information that it had hired armed security guards. That revelation came from a competing newspaper, the Rockland County Times, which concluded that the Journal News conducts itself according to the double standard: “Guns are good for the goose but not for the gander.”

Indeed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

501

Bmore on January 8, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Hel-LLOOOOoooooooooo . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Yodle-lay-ee- hooooooooooooooo . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

(Damn … I coulda’ swore we had a smokin’ hot debate going on here)

listens2glenn on January 8, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Selfish behavior has consequences. Maybe some will wake up and recognize that.

BruthaMan on January 8, 2013 at 1:23 AM

As I was seeing ZERO excitement about Romney and knew we had lost our #1 energizer to get folks to the polls [0bamacare] since Romney remains the archetect of that, I tried to get his supporters here to get involved at the grass roots level. The vast majority of them had way pressing bench warming duties on their plate, thus the last chance for a win against the communists was dashed to the ground.

I’m still surprised that NO ONE at the MIGOP Conventions were enthusiastic over the Willard run. I thought at least one person would work to rally the troops, but my best guess is they had no message to run with. Zero, nada, zip

I remain certain that if we cannot double our number of workers at the grass roots level the liberals will easily maintain control over our government, thus the blame for having an unamerican government rests with the lethargic ‘Americans’.

TANSTAAFL!

DannoJyd on January 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I fear our elected servants, and worse, the career bureaucrats simply do not fear or respect the citizens. They know they will never be held accountable for their excesses. They know any resistance will almost certainly be limited to the poor idiot law enforcement folk who try to carry out illegal gun grabs and they have arranged incumbent protection so successfully that voting most of the weasels out is impossible.

What real recourse does anyone have against government over reaches and outright illegality from folk like Feinstein or bureacracies like the BATF…

Until our elected elites remember they work for us, they will do exactly as they desire and Constitution be damned!

JIMV on January 8, 2013 at 6:40 PM

JIMV on January 8, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Let’s review: Appx 40% of Americans are registered to vote, and of that 40% maybe 38% will actually vote. The vast majority of Americans are too busy benchwarming to get educated about the issues and/or their elected representatives, and you worry that “career bureaucrats simply do not fear or respect the citizens”.

So now perhaps you can explain to me why ANY politician should care about the majority of lethargic Americans who don’t have any self respect and refuse to behave responsibly, let alone be afraid of a people sitting in the offal of their sloth. They certainly pose no threat to anyone except themselves.

To quote one of my grandkids, “You Funny!”

DannoJyd on January 8, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I’m not against you owning a gun.
I support reasonable restrictions and guidelines.

verbaluce on January 8, 2013 at 11:42 AM

You guys are the ones missing the point.
Pro-choice is about the rights of women to make decisions about their bodies themselves.

verbaluce on September 5, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Compare and contrast.

rogerb on January 8, 2013 at 9:29 PM

But completely false.
The fact remains that having a gun in the home substantially increases the risk of death or injury by firearm to both the owner of the gun and the residents of the home (family).
I don’t offer this fact so much as an argument for gun control as I do to refute the idea that gun ownership offers the average citizen protection.

verbaluce on January 8, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Well, you are very misinformed. Arguments based on Kellerman’s studies (86 and 93 I believe) are laughable. In fact they were laughed at in peer review. If you live in one of three counties in High crime rate area of Seattle, Memphis, and cleveland; AND you are in one of 1/6 of the households surveyed (316 out of 1860); AND you ignore other higher scoring behavioral indicateor such as Alcohol, drugs, and previous criminal arrest record you can get the result you describe….IF you choose a statistical model method that is suited only to forming general hypothesis.

In other words, you’re full of caca. Even the Clinton DOJ concluded that defensive uses of firearms topped 1.5 million per year.

Oh and BTW, since the perp didn’t die, this defensive use would not have been included since to be included the primary question was “In this household where a homicide was committed, was there a gun, any gun, in the house?”

So, just to reiterate…you’re full of caca.

Fighton03 on January 8, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I’m more concerned by those persons trying to “disolve” U.S. sovereignty, and drag us (against our will) into the WCPA.

listens2glenn on January 8, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I really don’t think you should worry about them so much.
Certainly don’t let it keep you up at night.

verbaluce on January 8, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Tell you what, we’ll be less worried about that, you be less worried about our guns.

Fighton03 on January 8, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I’m not against you owning a gun.
I support reasonable restrictions and guidelines.

verbaluce on January 8, 2013 at 11:42 AM

You guys are the ones missing the point.

verbaluce on September 5, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Compare and contrast.

rogerb on January 8, 2013 at 9:29 PM

… oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh! . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Good work, roger’ … that says it all.

listens2glenn on January 8, 2013 at 11:46 PM

DannoJyd on January 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM

There was plenty of excitement here about all the candidates, at various times, including Romney. Sure, he was not the preferred candidate of many, but once he because the nominee, it was time to put the box of kleenex away, pull our big boy panties up, and move forward with task of defeating Obama.

My presumption is that you were/are a Ron Paul supporter and as such, are claiming to have been searching for something you never would have found.

I’m still looking for ANY reason to ‘like’ Romney, but none of his supporters are capable of passing along any salient reason. That will make my job of assisting my local GOP most difficult if not impossible this year.

DannoJyd on May 8, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Once a candidate has won (or presumed to have won, pending conclusion of formalities), it’s time to come together. That was my point, made quite often.

And that’s really what the basis of my post in this thread was about because it was primarily Ron Paul supporters making those kinds of statements.

We all know RP supporters are not known for thinking outside of what senior members at the RP forums tell them how to think. We saw evidence of that repeatedly. Not just here, but throughout the online community.

It went from the usual Ron Paul spamming of polls, to spamming up comment threads across the web, to a reality that (once again) he was not going to win the nomination nor did he ever have a chance, to the selfish admissions of “I’m not going to vote for Romney,” to the selfish behavior of delegates to the whining about the convention to the new strategy of “both sides are at fault, vote Ron Paul,” to the next strategy of “Romney is no different from Obama” (a delusional strategy, none the less) to the next strategy of not using Ron Paul’s name, but still spamming up comment sections with “both sides are equally at fault.”

I hold animosity towards RP supporters that runs very deep. They were the main butt heads who were relentlessly working to keep anyone from voting for Romney and attacked him with the same dishonesty as liberals. It was selfishness on their part. Their candidate lost (never had a chance in the first place) and simply could not accept that, and “come together” to defeat the real enemy, Obama.

Then have the nerve to want others to support them. You either voted for Romney, or you voted for Obama (regardless of who you selfishly wrote in on the ballot). If your vote was cast for other than Romney, then you are responsible for Obama being re-elected and as such, no longer have a valid say in the discussion of forthcoming attempts at gun control.

This is the type of selfishness I was referring to.

BruthaMan on January 9, 2013 at 12:15 AM

This is the type of selfishness I was referring to.

BruthaMan on January 9, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Sheesh! This from one of the MANY stay-at-home ‘republicans’ that did NOT A THING at the grass roots level. How PROUD you must be of your nonexistant efforts.

I cannot count all of the hours I put in from going to MIGOP Conventions [as an elected delegate], but I CAN report about how the Ron Paul delegates from St. Joeseph County [18 out of 24] didn’t even bother to show for the last one, and for good reasons. I can tell you that I worked to get as many lawn signs and wall signs as possible AFTER the convention was over though [we used them at our GOP Victory Center]

For a week the TEA Party had a booth at our local County Fair. I both assisted in assembling and disassembling that as well as man the booth for over 30 hours.

I lost count of the many hours during the 8 weeks before the election that I spent at our local GOP Victory Center, nor the amount of times I was in charge of opening that, but I do remember being there to ‘decorate it’ [placing Romney signs and other paraphinallia] and close it down.

The TEA Party meetings I attended were many, but again I cannot report how many hours put in as they were too many to keep track of. I can tell you of how I was amongst the TEA Party people that demanded our representatives [who attended some of our meetings] get busy making Michigan a right to work state though.

Speaking of selfishness, what EXACTLY did you do to get ANY republican elected in 2012? Did you even so much as go to your local GOP Victory Center? HMM!

DannoJyd on January 9, 2013 at 7:09 AM

BruthaMan on January 9, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Oh my! I almost forgot this.

Since you were privy to my postings back in May I can proudly announce that…

I TOLD YA SO!

Do not blame me for the miriade of shortcomings of the GOP’s SELECTED candidate. It still is not my fault that he had NO REAL Republican message to run on due to him being a closet liberal socialist, nor is it my fault that you Romney supporters were unable to give me any assistance in promoting the douche.

DannoJyd on January 9, 2013 at 7:16 AM

DannoJyd on January 9, 2013 at 7:16 AM

In other words, “oh, looks like I got caught helping re-elect Obama and being bitter and selfish.”

I blame you, for doing exactly what I said. For being part of the RP supporters that sought to sabotage Romney’s election because your kook candidate couldn’t get nominated again; enabling the re-election of Obama; and being selfish.

You have no say in the gun debate or anything else. You get exactly what you helped elect.

You and other deadbeat RP supporters will get no support from me, no matter how you portray your dishonest actions.

BruthaMan on January 9, 2013 at 5:09 PM