NFL Wildcard Sunday open thread

posted at 11:01 am on January 6, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Home field ruled yesterday, as the Houston Texans returned to their winning ways yesterday against the Cincinnati Bengals.  Houston dominated but let the Bengals stay in the game, eventually outlasting them 19-13.  The Minnesota Vikings didn’t do any better, only scoring a TD in trash time as the Packers cruised to the next round, 24-10. Neither game was all that exciting, although the last-minute start for Minnesota’s Joe Webb at QB produced one exciting drive at the beginning of the game.

Will home field do the trick today? I went 1-1 in yesterday’s picks, and I’m picking a road team today too …

• Colts at Ravens (1 pm ET, CBS) - Oh, I know how I’d like to see this game go.  I’d love to see Andrew Luck lead Indianapolis to an upset victory over Pittsburgh rival Baltimore and chart a Cinderella course through the playoffs.  And when one looks at Baltimore’s track record, a few things pop out — like the fact that the Ravens have lost four of their last five games, and the last time they beat a playoff team this season was Week 3 against the Patriots.  On the other hand, Baltimore has listed Ray Lewis as probable for today, and after announcing his retirement, this will be his last home game.  Is that enough to stop Baltimore’s slide?  At home, I have to grudgingly say yes. Ravens 24-17 over the Colts, but I’ll be rooting for the other way around.
  • Seahawks at Redskins (4:30 pm, FOX) - This may be the game of the weekend.  It pits two young QBs with big futures against each other on a big stage.  RGIII has gotten most of the attention this year, but Russell Wilson has led his team to a better record and has six more TD passes than Griffin.  The Seahawks have won five games in a row, starting with a tough OT win in Chicago.  Still, Seattle isn’t a good road team, only going 3-5 away from home, and Washington has won seven games in a row to finish out the season.  This one’s coming down to the final possession.  I’m going to go for the upset here and pick Seattle by a field goal, 31-28, maybe in OT.

Comments

RGIII for president, 2016. He’s a real leader, not a pretend one.

ExpressoBold on January 6, 2013 at 11:07 AM

RGIII

sic ‘em Bears!

ted c on January 6, 2013 at 11:08 AM

As a Seahawks fan since ’76 and the days of Jim Zorn, I can assure you … they will disappoint.

Lost in Jersey on January 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM

sic ‘em Bears!

ted c on January 6, 2013 at 11:08 AM

WHAT ??? !!!! LOL

ExpressoBold on January 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Go Steelers!!!!

What?

Scott P on January 6, 2013 at 11:12 AM

As a Bronco fan, who do I want to win these games? :)

scalleywag on January 6, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Very happy my beloved Pack won! ; )

Bmore on January 6, 2013 at 11:15 AM

As a Bronco fan, who do I want to win these games? :)

scalleywag on January 6, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I would definitely root for Indy, as they are a dome team. If they beat Baltimore today, they have to play next week Mile High.

On the other hand, Baltimore knows how to win in the cold. They would definitely give you more trouble in Denver next week than a team with a QB who’s never even started a playoff game Indy).

Del Dolemonte on January 6, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Considering that Seattle is a three point favorite it’s kind of hard to see how picking them to win by three could be called picking an upset.

Of course I’m a Falcon fan so I just hope they beat each other up today.

RW_theoriginal on January 6, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I hate the Skins but RG3 seems like a class act, so I’m rooting for the racist team.

The Vikes were a laughable disaster yesterday. Still, considering how horrifying Webb was at QB, and how consistently Leslie Frazier manages to screw up at coaching, a 14 point loss isn’t that bad.

Texans to win it all.

Bishop on January 6, 2013 at 11:23 AM

sic ‘em bears is the Baylor motto

ted c on January 6, 2013 at 11:26 AM

sic ‘em Bears! is to Baylor alums as Gig ‘em Ags! is to the Aggies

DanMan on January 6, 2013 at 11:26 AM

As I lifelong redskins fan I sure hope they beat Seattle. The only problem is that the skins always find a new way to loose.

tom2789 on January 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM

The only problem is that the skins always find a new way to loose.

tom2789 on January 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM

The San Diego Charger’s have issued a cease and desist order against you for infringing on their team motto… o_O

SWalker on January 6, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Texans to win it all.

Bishop on January 6, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Pffff. The Cowboys are not even in the playoffs. Shows how much you know about the NFL.

VegasRick on January 6, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Lou Holtz, Mike Ditka, Joe Gibbs. What do they sell together?

Bmore on January 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Texans to win it all.

Bishop on January 6, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I still don’t understand why they went with “Texans” instead of the obvious: Houston Oilers All-of-the-Above-Energy-Strategies

Lost in Jersey on January 6, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Texans to win it all.

Bishop on January 6, 2013 at 11:23 AM

VegasRick on January 6, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Knowing Bishop, he was actually talking about Texas’s infamous Curling teams

SWalker on January 6, 2013 at 11:40 AM

What do they sell together?

Bmore on January 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Erectile Dysfunction remedies?

ExpressoBold on January 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I grew up outside dc so I am a lifelong skins fan. The military sent me to WA state ten years ago and I stayed and married a lifelong Seahawks fan. I am a Seahawks season ticket holder too. People here ask me if I’m torn on who to root for. Of course not! Wife and I are watching the game at separate locations.

Football gods if you are reading this thread I have a request. This is the skins third straight playoff game against Seattle, all since I got out here. Can you maybe stop doing that for a bit?

One minor correction to Ed’s post: the Seahawks are favored so when the redskins win it’ll be an upset. That is probably what you meant, just got the teams backwards

hump1201 on January 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM

ExpressoBold on January 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Not bad, but no.

Bmore on January 6, 2013 at 11:42 AM

This might be Ray Lewis’ last game. So let’s all congratulate him for not being involved in a murder for nearly 12 years.

lorien1973 on January 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Let’s go Seahawks!!!

portlandon on January 6, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Of course I’m a Falcon fan so I just hope they beat each other up today.

RW_theoriginal on January 6, 2013 at 11:22 AM

The Falcons are so yesterday. A zero team to be sure.

HiJack on January 6, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Let’s go Seahawks!!!

portlandon on January 6, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Second that. All the way. And I hope they decimate the ‘skins, because all the media can do is fawn over RGIII. They’ve done nothing but ignore the Hawks, which is typical, but we know how the media works here, don’t we?

HiJack on January 6, 2013 at 11:53 AM

lorien1973 on January 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM

ZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNG! !!!!!!

BallisticBob on January 6, 2013 at 11:58 AM

VegasRick on January 6, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I was talking about the WNBA of which I am a big fan, specifically the Miami Texans.

Just wait until next year when D.C. gets its own WNBA franchise, the Big Moochers.

Bishop on January 6, 2013 at 12:01 PM

The HOU/CIN game was horrible. And both announcers should be fired.

artist on January 6, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Just heard on FoxSportsradio the Bruce Arians, the OC for the Colts, has just went to the hospital.

BallisticBob on January 6, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Bishop on January 6, 2013 at 12:01 PM

You may not have noticed, Bishop, but this is a FOOTBALL thread. Who gives a flying flip about women’s basketball? Or Men’s gangsta basketball for that matter?

HiJack on January 6, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Eh, that team for Indianapolis had no chance to begin with, but now:

Breaking: Bruce Arians in hospital for undisclosed illness, will not call the game.

Cinderella was already going home, now she’ll go home carrying her pumpkin.

Ah, the simple things.

right of the dial on January 6, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Seattle has been awful on the road, only beating Chicago as they were falling apart, and Buffalo in Montreal. It’s a tough pick for me, but I am taking the Seahawks because of their defense, and RGIII’s injury.

I will go with the Ravens over the Colts. The Ravens’ defense isn’t what it used to be but it is still pretty good. I think that Ray Lewis will play inspired and quite possibly inspiring football.

I live in Everett, just north of Seattle but grew up in Kalispell, Montana which used to be part of the Denver Broncos’ broadcast area. So I am pretty much a lifelong Broncos fan. Montana used to be split with the mountain region belonging to the Broncos, and West Dakota belonging to the Packers.

Rode Werk on January 6, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Bishop on January 6, 2013 at 12:01 PM

HiJack on January 6, 2013 at 12:08 PM

<— get's net, helps Bishop haul his latest catch into boat… Thanks Bishop for the beer… ;)

SWalker on January 6, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Anyone expecting Pete Carrol to not go full bore against the Skins is going to be sorely disappointed.

I hope he runs the score up sky freaking high on them!!!!!!

Go Seahawks!!

RealMc on January 6, 2013 at 12:15 PM

The sad thing about being a Falcons fan is I look at that Washington-Seattle game and wonder which team is coming into the Georgia Dome next week and winning.

radjah shelduck on January 6, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I hope Seattle wins it all…then maybe their whining will stop.

CW on January 6, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Bishop on January 6, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I expect moochele to be the team mascot.

VegasRick on January 6, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I hope he runs the score up sky freaking high on them!!!!!!

Go Seahawks!!

RealMc on January 6, 2013 at 12:15 PM

35-0, Seahawks. In the first half.

HiJack on January 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM

lorien1973 on January 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Thanks, saved me the rant. I hate how he is glorified. I’ll be rooting againts him all day.

Go RG III everything Ray Lewis isn’t.

D-fusit on January 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Go RG III everything Ray Lewis isn’t.

D-fusit on January 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Are you sure about that? Lewis isn’t a loser, either, although I’m not a fan of his. Too much ego; too much temperamental explosions.

HiJack on January 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Bishop on January 6, 2013 at 11:23 AM

The Washington bumper sticker on my Volt has a potato with some feathers, to be more culturally sensitive. There have been quite a few of us asking for this logo change over the years. I think Synder is finally starting to take us seriously!

Frogmorton on January 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM

HiJack on January 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM

That is part of what made him great…as a player. There is not a team out there(or a realistic fan) that would not have taken Lewis baggage and all. He is one of the best defensive players of all time. Watch what his contemporaries say.

CW on January 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM

No predictions but I’m rooting for Colts and Redskins. Time to send Ray Lewis and the Ravens packing. And, well, not sorry Seahawks but I’m still honked off about the Monday night victory gifted you by the replacement bums. Besides, I like RGIII.

stukinIL4now on January 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM

The blade.

Bmore on January 6, 2013 at 12:30 PM

You are picking Seattle in an upset? They are 3 point favorites going in. Please.

kens on January 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM

radjah shelduck on January 6, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Packers Falcons could be fun.

Bmore on January 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM

HiJack on January 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I can’t get past the murders that he got away with, that and the fact that he is nothing but a thug that hides behind his “religion”. I can sleep well knowing that he will be held to account come judgement day.

D-fusit on January 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Waited some 20 odd years for the Skins to get here. I am unaccustomed to this strange feeling.

Dongemaharu on January 6, 2013 at 12:52 PM

D-fusit on January 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Not to re-litigate the case, but the only credible witnesses ever produced indicated that Lewis was attempting to break up the fight. Did he make mistakes and obstruct justice? Yes, but I think he’s made up for that in the past 13 years.

If you looked further than the anti-Lewis hype, he’s been a great citizen of Baltimore, active in charity work, a professional and spiritual mentor to untold players in the NFL. He doesn’t “hide behind” his religion that’s who he is.

right of the dial on January 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Dongemaharu on January 6, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Have watched Houston choke for 30 years at this point in the playoffs. Very used to that feeling.

TxAnn56 on January 6, 2013 at 1:29 PM

The HOU/CIN game was horrible. And both announcers should be fired.

artist on January 6, 2013 at 12:04 PM

All of the network announcers suck and should be fired. For most games, I usually mute the TV sound. Don’t get me started on Michaels/Collinsworth or Buck/Aikman, either. And besides it being on ESPiN, I can’t watch MNF bcuz John Gruden is so lame. Maybe the national radio broadcasters are better. I always listen to the much more enjoyable local radio broadcast for my favorite team and mute the sound when they’re on TV.

stukinIL4now on January 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Russell Wilson has led his team to a better record

He also had replacement ref incompetence in getting his team to a 1-win better record than the Redskins.

stukinIL4now on January 6, 2013 at 2:27 PM

The HOU/CIN game was horrible. And both announcers should be fired.

artist on January 6, 2013 at 12:04 PM

The Hip-Hop commentary was annoying. Just speak plain English please.

Conan on January 6, 2013 at 2:44 PM

HTTR. Beat the Seahags.

RandallinHerndon on January 6, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Ravens.

Tim_CA on January 6, 2013 at 4:19 PM

What a game!!! Abobo approves. Ray ray goes out on a high note.

abobo on January 6, 2013 at 4:21 PM

14-3 REDSKINS!!! HTTMFR

bryan2369 on January 6, 2013 at 5:31 PM

RG III is hurt – game over – Seahawks will win this one.

jake-the-goose on January 6, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Seahawks Redskins is entertaining.

El_Terrible on January 6, 2013 at 6:02 PM

RG III is hurt – game over – Seahawks will win this one.

jake-the-goose on January 6, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Yeah, tell Pete to just ignore Kirk Cousins… game over, it’s in the bag, get comfy with it.

ExpressoBold on January 6, 2013 at 6:10 PM

RG3, RG3, RG3

If I didn’t have to work tomorrow, I would have done my own drinking game based on every time I heard these sportscaster morons say “RG3″.

How ’bout just plain old “Griffin”.

Good grief.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 6, 2013 at 6:50 PM

That knee bent sideways. Ouch.

wolly4321 on January 6, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Its really painful being a Redskins fan. Like I said earlier they always find a new way to loose.

tom2789 on January 6, 2013 at 7:11 PM

RG III is hurt – game over – Seahawks will win this one.

jake-the-goose on January 6, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Now RG III is seriously injured – and Shanahan is at fault for not pulling him out the game at the end of Q1.

With Cousins available – Shanahan should be held responsible.

jake-the-goose on January 6, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I thought Shanahan was going to send Griffin back out there on a Hoveround.

forest on January 6, 2013 at 7:23 PM

stukinIL4now on January 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM

In the past SIRIUS Satellite Radio had an NFL package where you could get all the local NFL game broadcasts-not sure if they still do that or not.

As for the national radio broadcasters, they are a mixed lot as well. Kevin Harlan was doing the Packers/Vikes game last night and I thought he was mediocre.

Del Dolemonte on January 6, 2013 at 7:49 PM

RG III is hurt – game over – Seahawks will win this one.

jake-the-goose on January 6, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Everyone knows foresight is 20/20.

abobo on January 6, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Del Dolemonte on January 6, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Luckily I can pick up WTMJ in Milwaukee and when the Packers play listen to their broadcasters Wayne Larrivee and Larry McCarren who are much more enjoyable than the TV idiots. Buck and Aikman were gushing on cue over certain things like the slimestream media drooling over Obamuh.

stukinIL4now on January 6, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Texans to win it all.

Bishop on January 6, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Wow! Bishop in a football thread, (and dreaming). Doesn’t get much better than this.

Rovin on January 6, 2013 at 9:44 PM

The best way to root for the Redskins is to fervently hope they lose.

Ya jinx them if you hope they win, just like I did today.

Sorry, Redskin fans!!

Sherman1864 on January 6, 2013 at 11:13 PM

right of the dial on January 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM

The case has never been solved. Ray Lewis has never helped with investigators and instead of following leads that could have solved the case (with information from Lewis) valuable time was wasted in in the investigation when Lewis could have cleared it up from the beginning. So, yeah, he’s an accomplice to murder. No better than Rae Carruth.

Mitoch55 on January 6, 2013 at 11:39 PM

With Cousins available – Shanahan should be held responsible.

jake-the-goose on January 6, 2013 at 7:12 PM

That’s the problem with quarterbacks who use their feet who will “remake the position.” Very few of them are durable enough to last in the NFL.

The only quarterback I can think of who could use his feet to advantage and had a long career was Fran Tarkenton. But he only scrambled to keep the play alive so he could throw the ball downfield.

Mitoch55 on January 6, 2013 at 11:43 PM

RGIII for president, 2016. He’s a real leader, not a pretend one.

ExpressoBold on January 6, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Seriously? He lost a game he had won….lol…Duhhhhhhhh..

DevilsPrinciple on January 7, 2013 at 5:21 AM