Mom shoots intruder, saves kids

posted at 2:01 pm on January 6, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

How many times during the recent gun grabbing debate have you heard these arguments?

Self defense is a bogus argument. Having a gun in your home, you’re more likely to shoot yourself or your spouse than to ever fend off a bad guy. Only trained law enforcement professionals can safely use weapons like that.

May I introduce you to Donnie Herman’s wife

The woman was working in an upstairs office when she spotted a strange man outside a window, according to Walton County Sheriff Joe Chapman. He said she took her 9-year-old twins to a crawlspace before the man broke in using a crowbar.

But the man eventually found the family.

“The perpetrator opens that door. Of course, at that time he’s staring at her, her two children and a .38 revolver,” Chapman told Channel 2’s Kerry Kavanaugh.

The woman then shot him five times, but he survived, Chapman said. He said the woman ran out of bullets but threatened to shoot the intruder if he moved.

The intruder, 32-year-old Atlanta resident Paul Slate, had been out of jail for all of four months or so, one of six arrests since 2008. He fled the house but crashed his car a short distance away and collapsed where he was found on the ground by police. So how is old Paul doing now?

Chapman said they found him on the ground saying, “Help me. I’m close to dying.” Slater was taken to Gwinnett Medical Center for treatment. Chapman said Slater was shot in the face and neck…

Channel 2’s Amy Napier Viteri learned from Chapman late Friday night that slater has been placed on a ventilator and suffers from punctured lungs, a punctured liver and a punctured stomach.

He said if Slater survives the night, doctors will try to operate in the morning to repair the damage.

Chapman said Slater has four exit wounds.

The woman’s husband was short and succinct on the subject.

“My wife is a hero. She protected her kids. She did what she was supposed to do as responsible, prepared gun owner,” Donnie Herman said.

He said he’s thankful for his family’s safety.

“Her life is saved, and her kids’ life is saved, and that’s all I’d like to say,” Herman said.

I don’t have a lot to add to this story beyond highlighting it and opening it up for your consideration and discussion. But I would add one note of caution. Thus far the woman in question doesn’t seem to be talking to the press and that’s her right. Regardless of her success in defending her family, Donnie Herman’s wife has undoubtedly been through a traumatic experience and if she wants to maintain her privacy and not turn this into some sort of circus side show, the media should respect her wishes.

But she can still serve as a useful example as we consider any future Second Amendment questions. Everyone called Wayne LaPierre crazy when he said that the best way to stop a bad guy with a gun was a good guy with a gun. Or sometimes, a good lady with a gun. Food for thought.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

OT – Obama will redistribute America’s labor to enrich the rest of the world. You will be scroomed on a multi-threaded level, in French style.

Vive le Socialisme!

Schadenfreude on January 6, 2013 at 3:10 PM

God Bless this woman and give her the strength to overcome what she was forced to do, it could not have been easy…

Scrumpy on January 6, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Sorry, forgot the link.

Schadenfreude on January 6, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Guns are the equalizer for women against male criminals. I’m sure he could have killed her and her kids even if he didn’t have a crowbar. Libs’ gun control is the real ‘war on women’.

HellCat on January 6, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Bears repeating, 1000x.

Another thing is that this sort of thing happens all the time, though the national media puts a blackout on it, deliberately.

In my city a couple in their 60s were home invaded. It went like this:

Male homeowner: Son you better get out of here right—

Wife: BANG. BANG.

The home invader did not survive.

juliesa on January 6, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I have a .38, I thought it would do more damage than that.

Night Owl on January 6, 2013 at 3:07 PM

It will, if you feed it right.

cozmo on January 6, 2013 at 3:11 PM

“Help me. I’m close to dying.”

No doubt getting shot while commiting a crime is covered under Obowmacare…

… No doubt.

Seven Percent Solution on January 6, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Mmm hmmm, no mention of the rights of the guy who was shot.

No good can come of guns being in houses, this incident alone led to a human being getting shot multiple times.

Bishop on January 6, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I have a .38, I thought it would do more damage than that.

Night Owl on January 6, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Depends on the ammo. 38 worked for years for law enforcement. Good hollow points should be effective. Guessing she was using something different.

AZfederalist on January 6, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Egotism And A Sense of Entitlement On College Campuses: A Microcosm That Exposes Everything That Is Wrong With America

M2RB: Jack Nicholson & Adam Sandler

Resist We Much on January 6, 2013 at 3:08 PM

An interesting read, as always.

I was asked to leave a parent/teacher meeting to discuss the upcoming “self esteem program” that my kids would be participating in. I pointed out that self esteem, absent meaningful accomplishments, was a hollow victory for everyone. I used Charles Manson, who had no shortage of self-esteem, as an example.

massrighty on January 6, 2013 at 3:14 PM

In my city a couple in their 60s were home invaded. It went like this:

Male homeowner: Son you better get out of here right—

Wife: BANG. BANG.

The home invader did not survive.

juliesa on January 6, 2013 at 3:10 PM

So she’s like, married to the guy?? Or is it just some sort of living together thing?

WryTrvllr on January 6, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Stand by. This douchnozzle will sue the woman for use of “excessive force.”

NavyMustang on January 6, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Liberals like HAL and lostmotherland are pro-rape. They WANT to see this this woman and others like her disarmed so she can’t stop being raped.

All the trolls here favor freedom to rape women. Or young boys, as NAMBLA demands and liberals like our trolls find acceptable.

Liam on January 6, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Was the intruder armed?

exdeadhead on January 6, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Yes, one on each side of his body, and for all the woman knew he had the abilities of Bruce Lee.

Bishop on January 6, 2013 at 3:16 PM

WryTrvllr on January 6, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Married couple. It was the wife who shot the home invader.

juliesa on January 6, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Was the intruder armed?

exdeadhead on January 6, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I believe he had 5 bullets.

ncc770 on January 6, 2013 at 3:18 PM

This Lady lives about 125 miles from me .We here in the south carry weapons with our CWP.The only mistake she made is not having more rounds.If she is going to use a 5 shot revolver i suggest she move up to a 5 shot 357 Mag with 158gr jhp rounds..My wife and i carry a compact 8+1 45 ACP with 230Gr.JHP rounds also a 38 special 5 shot Smith & Wesson air weight with silver tip hollow points as our back up.

logman1 on January 6, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I know the trolls are following this thread.

Come out, come out, wherever you are!

Let’s see what you got.

Liam on January 6, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Married couple. It was the wife who shot the home invader.

juliesa on January 6, 2013 at 3:18 PM

No, I got that part. Just wanted “couple” better explained :-)

WryTrvllr on January 6, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Good for her. I had a S&W .38 snub. (1 3/8″) couldn’t hit crap with it. With +P rounds muzzle jump was severe.

wolly4321 on January 6, 2013 at 3:21 PM

From beforeitsnews.com we read:

“Why is everyone all up in arms about the recent purchase by Homeland security of 1.4 Billion rounds of ammunition?

Our undeclared Foreign War in Iraq Consumes about 70,000,000 (70 Million) Rounds of Ammunition Each Year, which would take about 20 years to consume 1.4 billion rounds of ammunition ordered by the Department of Homeland Security alone, not including all the ammunition ordered by the weather service, Social Security, etc!  20 Years To Use All 1.4 Billion Rounds Of This Ammo?…

Read the entire chilling article. Avoid any political discussions about Obama’s infamous 2008 quote, lest your blood pressure dangerously rise.
“We cannot continue to rely on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we’ve set. We’ve got to have a civilian national security force that’s just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded.”

Let’s put these DHS numbers in perspective. An Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer displaces (weighs) 9,300 tons.  1.4 billion rounds weigh around 28,000 tons, three destroyers’ worth, so to speak. It takes over 1,200 18-wheel trucks to move that much ammunition. That’s the equivalent to a line of single trailer trucks, parked end to end, almost 14 miles long...

Between this and the warning from our Russian friend in Pravda, it is easy to understand why gun sales have soared under Obama.

NightmareOnKStreet on January 6, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Well, we use 9mm hollow-points and get 16+1 attempts to make sure the job gets done right. Then another magazine of 16 more if that did not git her done. Then another magazine of 16 more. If 49 did not do it though, we might be out of luck.

astonerii on January 6, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I have a .38, I thought it would do more damage than that.
Night Owl on January 6, 2013 at 3:07 PM

.38 is pretty weak. There was a woman who was murdered at her church by another crazed jealous congregant some time ago. A .38 was used. The first shot ricocheted off the victims skull. The second shot that killed her was one point blank to the temple as she layed unconscious. I have an old S&W .38 my gramps gave me before he passed away. I use it for target shooting only and a nice little gift from him before passing. I have a 9mm with a 16 round magazine for my wife for home defense while my personal choice for defense is a 1911 .45 ACP.

jawkneemusic on January 6, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Doesn’t happen.

CW on January 6, 2013 at 3:25 PM

FEderalist, Thanks!

Night Owl on January 6, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Obama would prefer that this woman and her children were killed. Then Holder would come in and try to claim the perps civil rights were violated.

pat on January 6, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I love this: no trolls.

Their cowardly absence gives me more ammunition against them in other threads.

Liam on January 6, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Sorry, AZ, this tablet will not let me spell your name.

Night Owl on January 6, 2013 at 3:31 PM

The media will leave this alone. It is probably best for the woman. If this story got legs you can bet the farm Holder would get involved. Even if she wasn’t charged with anything, they would make life hell. Thugs.

KCB on January 6, 2013 at 3:32 PM

KCB on January 6, 2013 at 3:32 PM

The only reason the MSM will avoid this story is because it goes against the predetermined liberal meme.

Liam on January 6, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Liam on January 6, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Agreed.

KCB on January 6, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Night Owl on January 6, 2013 at 3:31 PM

No problem. Autocorrect has interesting “features”

AZfederalist on January 6, 2013 at 3:37 PM

a .38 revolver… The woman then shot him five times, but he survived, Chapman said. He said the woman ran out of bullets

I assume that was five out of six shots? Good job. She beat the odds by a mile. But if the intruder had a real weapon, this could have been a very different story.

Anybody else see the moral here? Automatic weapons and high capacity magazines save lives.

logis on January 6, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I have a .38, I thought it would do more damage than that.

Night Owl on January 6, 2013 at 3:07 PM

You’ve got to hit a vital area, otherwise it’s down to having ammo that causes so much damage that the perp thinks you hit a vital area. In this case the perp ended up face down and crying. That’s a big win for the lady. Even so, I’d recommend an ammo change.

claudius on January 6, 2013 at 3:41 PM

D-FENS

http://www.thearmedcitizen.com has thousands of other such occurrences which the national media ignore.

rayra on January 6, 2013 at 3:42 PM

She’s a lousy shot. Sure, she hit him five times but he’s still alive.

Donnie Herman’s wife needs to spend more time at the range.

Dack Thrombosis on January 6, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Lame comment.

Most people survive being shot with a pistol, even with the latest super duper +P JHPs…

CorporatePiggy on January 6, 2013 at 3:42 PM

It’s still coming though, the assault. Biden said he hopes to have something on Bark’s desk before the end of this month.

Bishop on January 6, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I don’t understand why she needed a multi-shot handgun. She would have been a lot safer if she was using a single shot black powder rifle. You know, the kind that the Constitution specifically spells out as the arms gun nuts are allowed to use for hunting. Another thing. Why does she think it’s a good idea to have guns in the same house as kids? Her kids and her were in far more danger from the guns in the house than from any intruder.

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 6, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Stand by. This douchnozzle will sue the woman for use of “excessive force.”

NavyMustang on January 6, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Many of the 20 or so states that have added Castle Doctrine and Shall Issue CCW over the last decade have also added Civil Immunity for plugging a bad guy, to protect against just such abuse.

rayra on January 6, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Now that the woman has shown her skill and willingness under pressure, she should get stepped up to a .357 – twice the energy of a .38, in some loadings – and the .357 can still fire .38 cartridges if desired – or she should get a pistol with 10-17rds capacity. So she can do it right next time.

rayra on January 6, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I love this: no trolls. Their cowardly absence gives me more ammunition against them in other threads.
Liam on January 6, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Give them an hour. The next time a Democrat Senator goes off on another insane rant (on second thought, an hour is a pretty low estimate) the libtards will be back with tanks at full bile, reciting the same diatribe as always: “guns are used for only used for one thing: mass murder.”

You have to understand the subjectivist mindset. To liberals, facts are irrelevant; all that matters is how many hundreds of times they’ve heard something repeated by their close personal friends on TV.

logis on January 6, 2013 at 3:48 PM

CorporatePiggy on January 6, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Are you sure? On the TV shows and movies I watch it only takes a single shot to kill the bad guy. Then again the heroes do seem to be able to handle multiple gunshots without to much trouble but I chalk that up to them being better trained than the bad guys.

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 6, 2013 at 3:48 PM

“In addition to potential legislative proposals, Biden’s group has expanded its focus to include measures that would not need congressional approval and could be quickly implemented by executive action, according to interest-group leaders who have discussed options with Biden and key Cabinet secretaries.”

Yep, they’s a comin.

Bishop on January 6, 2013 at 3:48 PM

She’s a lousy shot. Sure, she hit him five times but he’s still alive.

Donnie Herman’s wife needs to spend more time at the range.

Dack Thrombosis on January 6, 2013 at 2:11 PM

He has punctured lungs. Nothing wrong with that shooting.

She accomplished her goal, which was to stop the attack so she and her kids would survive. That’s all she needed to do, and she did it.

juliesa on January 6, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Two points.

Featherweight revolvers are 5 shot pistols.

The survival rate for being shot with a handgun is approx 80%.

ROCnPhilly on January 6, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Next up: If the intruder is black and the woman is white, Sharpton, Jackson and Obama will call this a clear-ct case of racism.

Liam on January 6, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Not surprised, Slater is African American. After the Trayvon Martin incident I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s gets accused of violating his civil rights. Perhaps Al Sharpton or other “civil rights” lawyers will try to dig into her facebook inputs for indications of “racism”.

Chessplayer on January 6, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Bishop on January 6, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Any unconstitutional law is not a law. Everyone should acknowledge that fact and act accordingly.

ROCnPhilly on January 6, 2013 at 3:53 PM

logis on January 6, 2013 at 3:48 PM

If the trolls weigh in on this, it’ll be much later and after everyone else has gone to bed.

That way, they can say they had the last word and brag about it to other liberals for accolades.

“Yeah, man! I done did ‘em! An’ nots a one argued wit me! I be da man!”

Liam on January 6, 2013 at 3:54 PM

rayra on January 6, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Isn’t a .357 a lot harder to handle? I know that the one I shot a few years ago was difficult to consistently hit the target, standard 25ft target, at about 15ft. I had no trouble with the .38 or 9mm. I don’t know much about this woman but my daughter is very small and I doubt she could handle a .357. Maybe it would be better to be able to put many rounds into the intruder with a firearm you can handle rather than going for a single shot put down with one you can’t handle as well. Maybe she should think about a seni-auto .38 that can hold more rounds. I know when I took firearm training for my Class A permit, eqv to a CCW, the instructor said even a couple of .22 rounds in the face would discourage pretty much every intruder.

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 6, 2013 at 3:56 PM

claudius on January 6, 2013 at 3:41 PM

The problem is with those three words: “the perp thinks.”

That’s a terrible thing to have to rely on. People who break into houses usually aren’t all that coherent.

The only way to be sure and stop a nutjob? Think: zombie movie.

logis on January 6, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Another point of fact.

Swimming pools are used for only one thing, yet you or your child is more likely to die of an accident in one than from a firearm.

I guess we need to confiscate all swimming pools “for the children”?

ROCnPhilly on January 6, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Of course the pat gun-control answer, if it hasn’t been said already, is that the overwhelming force used by the woman was not proportionate to the threat. She didn’t know her life or the life of her kids was in danger, yet now this poor soul’s life hangs in the balance. Here he was, unemployed, hungry, and his EBT card was on empty or some such, just looking for some food, and this evil gun-toting woman (probably a Bible-thumper too, you know) goes off and shoots him several times – and would’ve shot him more if she hadn’t run out of ammo.

Midas on January 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM

She doesn’t have to kill him outright to get done what really matters. Someone with a couple of rounds in them is far less likely to be a threat to her children, and having a gun that she can hit with matters more than the terminal effects.

sharrukin on January 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 6, 2013 at 3:56 PM

A shot at center mass will stun if not outright kill. If your attacker is stunned, you still keep time to reset your aim.

Then shoot him again. And yet a third time if you need.

The fight isn’t over until the criminal dies.

Liam on January 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Making me think of getting a bigger gun.

Meryl Yourish on January 6, 2013 at 2:48 PM

In Texas one would say “Making me think of getting another gun.”
And the “another” wouldn’t be firearm no. 2. I’ve mentioned before that down here one doesn’t own a gun, one owns an arsenal, aka a veritable buffet of firepower.

TxAnn56 on January 6, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 6, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Beat me to it.

sharrukin on January 6, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 6, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I agree. Not sure what the debate is about. The courts/police would have also found the guy afterwards and successfully prosecuted him as well.

Don’t see what all the complaining is about.

kim roy on January 6, 2013 at 4:02 PM

She’s a lousy shot. Sure, she hit him five times but he’s still alive.

Donnie Herman’s wife needs to spend more time at the range.

Dack Thrombosis on January 6, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Um, two punctured lungs, a punctured liver, a punctured stomach, and a shot in the face?

‘Scuse me, cap’n, but she’s one helluva shot, thank you very much.

Midas on January 6, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Where are the trolls?

Liam on January 6, 2013 at 4:04 PM

In Texas one would say “Making me think of getting another gun.”

TxAnn56 on January 6, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Hey, as a Texan, I resemble that remark.

Midas on January 6, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Here’s what I don’t get. In the time it takes to get her pistol, get her kids and hide, wouldn’t it have made more sense to get her phone, call 911, and yell to the intruder that she is on the phone with the police? Or to even yell to the intruder “I have a gun”? I find this entire story extremely unconvincing.

Besides, I don’t know a ton about guns, but one imagines, according to her story, he was shot point blank as he opened the door to their hiding place. So he was hit 4 times (at least once in the face and neck), and was still able to get some distance from the house? This entire scenario sounds EXTREMLY unlikely, and I’m interested in finding out what really happened here.

Rainsford on January 6, 2013 at 4:05 PM

My .38 Special was bought home protection. This week, I’m taking a beginner shooter’s course, so that hopefully I can react as this mom did in an ‘emergency’.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 6, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 6, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Dude, get some firearm instruction. A 357 is usually a very accurate pistol due to its long barrel and easy to shoot because its mass reduces felt recoil. SD is best done with a .45 or .40 S&W. ( A slow big hole or a very fast slightly smaller one. )

ROCnPhilly on January 6, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Liam on January 6, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Their posts were getting stupider and stupider lately.

This one:

We all knew it was only a matter of time before the mass shooting supporting pro gun conservatives came out of the woodwork.

The shootings are now spreading from the minority neighborhoods into the gated Caucasian neighborhoods folks. Its too bad we had to wait for this event to generate a conversation about the unnecessary killings of our children. Its even worse to see the ” I dont give a damn about some kids getting shot as long as it aint my kid” pro gun movement looking to return back to status quo.

HotAirLib on January 5, 2013 at 9:28 AM

had to be the most unhinged I’ve read.

They’re a lot more sloppy lately. The mask has been slipping lately because I think they thought were just going to walk away. And they really thought they had this whole second amendment argument to themselves.

But the second amendment is our issue. We’ve weathered the storm, with the help of stupid liberal tricks (Thank you David Gregory, you gave us the traction we needed). HAL has been spanked so hard here that he’s been left with incoherent rants like the one above.

Congrats Liam and the others who’s arguments have been so devastating.

itsspideyman on January 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Another point of fact.

I guess we need to confiscate all swimming pools “for the children”?

ROCnPhilly on January 6, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I had a squirrel drown in mine once. Very tragic but, even worse are decorative fish ponds. I once found a rabbit mostly eaten by the fish. Who would have guessed gold fist could strip the fur and guts from a small animal. A few years ago I slipped and fell in when feeding the fish. It was nasty because I ruined a fairly new pair of work shoes. Yup, decorative fish ponds are dangerous.

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM

‘Scuse me, cap’n, but she’s one helluva shot, thank you very much.

Midas on January 6, 2013 at 4:03 PM

That criminal needs to get himself some religion after all that.

Liam on January 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM

TxAnn56 on January 6, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Hey-I’ve only had my S&W for less than a month. Patience. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on January 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 6, 2013 at 3:48 PM

That’s why liberals think law-abiding citizens shouldn’t have guns: it’s not a fair fight.

And you know how much liberals care about fairness.

logis on January 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Yep, they’s a comin.

Bishop on January 6, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Molon labe.

Oh, and as a Texan, this one is meaningful, too.

Midas on January 6, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Gun and ammo choice are importnat but being able to shoot straight is more importnat.
A single 22 cal to the head will do more damage than a 38, 9mm or 45 to the foot.
With that said its still, “Nice going lady” A local Rabbi just tried to frame the gun control issue here as a “pro-life” issue. I’m pro-life but pro-choice on the gun issue. My choice is caliber, gun and number of rounds in the magazine. I am pro life when my home or car is invaded or myself and family threatened.
We need these idiot libs to be pro-legal and enforce exisiitng laws and perhaps, although it is too much to ask of them, try being a little pro-common sense.
Tis Georgia lady deserves a medal.

Art on January 6, 2013 at 4:08 PM

The survival rate for being shot with a handgun is approx 80%.

ROCnPhilly on January 6, 2013 at 3:50 PM

The survival rate of anyone I need to shoot will be exactly inverse of my survival. I will get at least one fatal shot into them before their body hits the ground.

astonerii on January 6, 2013 at 4:08 PM

I don’t know a ton about guns, …

Rainsford on January 6, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Shoulda just stopped right there.

ROCnPhilly on January 6, 2013 at 4:08 PM

After running out of bullets, you taser the fool, tie him up, waterboard him, then reload and send him ta valhalla.

racquetballer on January 6, 2013 at 4:09 PM

HotAirLib on January 5, 2013 at 9:28 AM

This from the “kids killed daily in Chicago? Oh, you mean those dark-skinned kids, nobody cares about *them*” bleating libtards of the left.

STFU.

Midas on January 6, 2013 at 4:10 PM

ROCnPhilly on January 6, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I would if I had or was going to have a .357 but, I have no plans to do so any time soon so lessons would be a waste. The one I shot had a short barrel. 3.5 or 4 inch I think. I’m not sure because it was a long time ago. It was my brother-in-law’s and he was a cop at the time and carried it as his secondary firearm.

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 6, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Ummm…not to keep nagging but…where are the trolls? This is a gun thread, and the trolls infest gun threads. Where are the trolls?
Liam on January 6, 2013 at 4:04 PM

In the time it takes to get her pistol, get her kids and hide, wouldn’t it have made more sense to get her phone, call 911, and yell to the intruder that she is on the phone with the police? Or to even yell to the intruder “I have a gun”? I find this entire story extremely unconvincing. Besides, I don’t know a ton about guns, but one imagines…
Rainsford on January 6, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Question: meet answer.

logis on January 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM

jawkneemusic on January 6, 2013 at 3:25 PM

That .38 is the same diameter as your 9mm, and more powerful.

It all comes down to comfort and bullet choice.

The woman did stop the attack.

cozmo on January 6, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Hey-I’ve only had my S&W for less than a month. Patience. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on January 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Not to worry. You’re in your transitional period from “guns are bad” Illinois to “guns are great” Texas. You’ll get there grasshopper.

Btw, my first one was a S&W 38 and I keep that one in the car. Guns are kind of like shoes, you have to have them for every type of occasion.

TxAnn56 on January 6, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Question: meet answer.

logis on January 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM

We need better trolls. These are at the bottom of the stupid barrel.

cozmo on January 6, 2013 at 4:15 PM

You won’t read about this in the MSM. A “woman” defending herself?

GarandFan on January 6, 2013 at 4:16 PM

itsspideyman on January 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Thank you!

It’s a simple matter here: they’re not getting my guns. I know it’s an axiom about prying them from my cold dead fingers, but liberals hear only the axiom. What they miss is how I end up dead, and how many of them I’m taking with me before I go. I might nail only one. But, by the same token, I might take ten. And there might be another hundred behind me.

Ya never know…

If any troll here wants my guns so bad, he or she is welcome to come in person to confiscate them from me. They can bring their entire coffee shop friends with them, too, if they like. Then we do a ho down. Last one standing gets my guns.

Oh, wait! The trolls here would NEVER put their own lame carcasses on the line. They want other to do the dirty work they demand but would never once undertake themselves. Silly me!

The trolls here want my guns confiscated, but they wont do it themselves.

I, on the other hand, want to see liberals hanged. And, to be sure, I’ll tie the noose and kick the horse from under the traitor.

Liam on January 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM

You’ll get there grasshopper.

TxAnn56 on January 6, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Not so sure sometimes.

Guns are kind of like shoes, you have to have them for every type of occasion.

TxAnn56 on January 6, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I will smile about that the rest of the day.

cozmo on January 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM

That .38 is the same diameter as your 9mm, and more powerful.

It all comes down to comfort and bullet choice.

The woman did stop the attack.

cozmo on January 6, 2013 at 4:14 PM

a .38 is the equivalent of a 380 acp, a .38+p somewhat better. only the .357 beats a 9mm for the rounds being discussed.

WryTrvllr on January 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM

racquetballer on January 6, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Isn’t water-boarding a little excessive? I think that the tasering and shooting him again is more than enough. Besides water-boarding is time consuming to setup and do.

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM

We need better trolls. These are at the bottom of the stupid barrel.

cozmo on January 6, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Hey, I tried to deliver earlier. Give me a break. I’m a troll in training.

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 6, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Imeda Marcos had 3000 pairs of shoes.

racquetballer on January 6, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Oh, and as a Texan, this one is meaningful, too.

Midas on January 6, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Which makes me think of this pair of Rick Perry’s boots.

TxAnn56 on January 6, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I will smile about that the rest of the day.

cozmo on January 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I’m going to the range on Tuesday. It’s a 2 hour class. Trying to find all my former addresses so I can apply for CC.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 6, 2013 at 4:19 PM

The woman did stop the attack.

cozmo on January 6, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Which is the goal. When the aggressor stops the bad behavior, the bullets stop flying.

ROCnPhilly on January 6, 2013 at 4:19 PM

How do we know that this guy was intent on doing something bad to the lady and her kids?

How do we know he was “ARMED” with that crowbar?

It is more likely that he was merely a freelance home remodeler there to do some surprise pro-bono work like they do on one of those ‘reality’ shows on the Home & Garden Network.

This crazy woman nearly killed a potentially innocent man AND lost out on having her hovel turned into a nice place too.

All because an evil gun was present in that home.

(Do I really need the /snark tag?)

LegendHasIt on January 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM

The Loganville woman, who was not identified, was in the home with her 9-year-old twins on Friday afternoon when someone began ringing the doorbell.

Thinking it was just a door-to-door salesperson, she didn’t answer.

But after the ringing persisted, the person began prying the door open with a crowbar.

The burglar, whom police identified as Paul Ali Slater, did a room-by-room search of the home, and when he reached the attic, she was ready.

“Don’t answer,” she yelled to her 9-year-old twins playing downstairs.

When the visitor began repeatedly ringing the doorbell, she called her husband at work.

“Get the kids and hide,” he told his wife.

As he dialed 911, his 37-year-old spouse, who works from home, collected the children and hid with them in a crawlspace adjoining her office. By that time, the intruder had forced his way into the three-story residence on Henderson Ridge Drive with a crowbar, authorities said. He allegedly rummaged through the home, eventually working his way up to the attic office.

The Long Island native, who now lives in Gwinnett County, was released from the Gwinnett jail in late August after serving six months for simple battery and three counts of probation violation. Slater has six other arrests in Gwinnett dating back to 2008, according to jail records.

sharrukin on January 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM

racquetballer on January 6, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Not if you prepare in advance, and have your water boarding station setup and ready to go 24/7, just in case a liberal troll drops by to mooch something.

Midas on January 6, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Liam on January 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM

What’s your problem with horses? I think kicking them is a bit extreme. Use a step ladder instead. It doesn’t need to be feed or cleaned up after and you will be liked by PETA.

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 6, 2013 at 4:22 PM

WryTrvllr on January 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Nope, power-wise its .380, 9mm,.38, .38+/and P, .357.

My preference is the .357, but the Desert Eagle is too big and the Python doesn’t wear right in a concealed holster. I’ll carry the 9mm when the clothes will cover it and the .380 other times.

The right ammo and the owner’s confidence will make a .380 the equal of a .357.

cozmo on January 6, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Was the intruder armed?

exdeadhead on January 6, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Never take a crowbar to a gunfight.

davidk on January 6, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Hell, If she can type fast she could have whipped up a strongly worded letter too. Putz.

KCB on January 6, 2013 at 4:23 PM

LegendHasIt on January 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Damn! That was better than my attempt. Good job.

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 6, 2013 at 4:23 PM

sharrukin on January 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM

So, at least 7 arrests in the last 4 years, and he’s out of jail… why?

Midas on January 6, 2013 at 4:24 PM

racquetballer on January 6, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Yeah, right–waterboard.

I’d tip the board, then go out to smoke a good lasting cigar.

Liam on January 6, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Nope, power-wise its .380, 9mm,.38, .38+/and P, .357.

The right ammo and the owner’s confidence will make a .380 the equal of a .357.

cozmo on January 6, 2013 at 4:22 PM