Paper which outed gun owners endangering prison guards

posted at 11:31 am on January 5, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

When the local, Upstate New York newspaper The Journal News decided to take it upon themselves to publish the names and addresses of gun permit holders in their area, I’m sure that some of them felt they were performing a “public service” in some twisted way. Despite massive protests and demands that Gannet take action, the paper has stood by the decision. But who were they trying to target? Certainly not criminals, who tend not to take the whole gun registration process very seriously to begin with. Lawful gun owners? That’s a pretty easy argument to make. But I wonder if the editors knew that they might be endangering the lives of prison guards and their families?

Law enforcement officials from a New York region where a local paper published a map identifying gun owners say prisoners are using the information to intimidate guards.

Rockland County Sheriff Louis Falco, who spoke at a news conference flanked by other county officials, said the Journal News’ decision to post an online map of names and addresses of handgun owners Dec. 23 has put law enforcement officers in danger.

“They have inmates coming up to them and telling them exactly where they live. That’s not acceptable to me,” Falco said, according to Newsday.

When this story first broke, there was an obvious invitation for a snarky response of, “what could possibly go wrong?” Well this is what could possibly go wrong, and already has. As Fox News goes on to correctly note, a lot of the guards are from the greater New York City area and commute up to work at the prison. They live in areas with a disturbingly large gang presence, and criminals can read the news as well as anyone else. If a prisoner has a gripe with any particular guard and gets the word out to their friends on the outside, knowing right where the guards live would certainly be an opportunity for the bad guys.

One rather famous former criminal, Walter Shaw (no relation, sorry) was interviewed about this debacle and offered a bit of perspective from the dark side.

That was the most asinine article I’ve ever seen,” said Walter T. Shaw, 65, a former burglar and jewel thief who the FBI blames for more than 3,000 break-ins that netted some $70 million in the 1960s and 1970s. “Having a list of who has a gun is like gold – why rob that house when you can hit the one next door, where there are no guns?

“What they did was insanity,” added Shaw, author of “License to Steal,” a book about his criminal career.

The editors have also proven that while they may not be bullet-proof, they are completely oblivious to the concept of irony. In perhaps the most farcical aspect of this sordid tale to date, the newspaper has hired armed guards to protect at least one of their offices. I suppose they must think that the best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to have a good guy with a gun, huh? What a crazy idea.

Surely all of this must have some of the knee-jerk state legislators around the nation rethinking the whole idea, right? Apparently not, as one elected official in Connecticut is looking to up the ante.

State Rep. Stephen Dargen, a Democratic legislator from West Haven, wants the names and addresses of about 170,000 handgun permit holders in the state to be made public.

Names of gun owners are now confidential, but Dargen believes if people know how many guns are spread across communities, they’ll be safer.

Exit question: Even if you’re the gun grabbiest editor of a small distribution newspaper in the country, how was a result like this not blindingly obvious?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Contact info for contacting your congressmen and senators to give them your recommendation regarding gun control legislation.

justltl on January 5, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Leave it to liberals to be both insane and asinine.

John the Libertarian on January 5, 2013 at 3:12 PM

The paper didn’t have to do this. But it did and, despite what the editors and other liberals think, not everyone is going to roll over and play possum.

Liam on January 5, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Perhaps they will eventually learn what Molon Labe means. The irony is that they need their guns for protection.

ghostwalker1 on January 5, 2013 at 3:15 PM

What Dargen is also not thinking about is that not all permit holders in Connecticut currently own guns. I’ve got one friend who keeps their permit current so that if/when they ever want/need to get a hand gun, they don’t have to go through the several month long process.

You also don’t have to have a permit in CT for a long gun, so that won’t help much in that regard either.

LibraryGryffon on January 5, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Just like we all knew would happen, they have shifted to handguns. Why didn’t they publish the names of all the people with rifles? Because they are after all guns, especially handguns! F@ck them!

Patriot Vet on January 5, 2013 at 3:32 PM

…and what about women who had to take out restraining orders against their former abusive husbands/boyfriends? Found ya!

perroviejo on January 5, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Day by Day hits that in this cartoon. (Karl is an abusive, stalking ex.)

GWB on January 5, 2013 at 3:34 PM

That paper and the people involved with this story should be held criminally responsible for anyone who gets their stuff stolen or gets hurt because of their info getting released..really outrageous what they did!

sadsushi on January 5, 2013 at 3:37 PM

sadsushi on January 5, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Castle doctrine means cross my threshold at your own risk…NY has it. Wish they would start using it…

teejk on January 5, 2013 at 4:18 PM

H

Del Dolemonte on January 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Hi, Del!

While it’s fun to grade libs, I save myself the headache of doing it. They’re all -ZZ cubed far as I’m concerned.

With respects to you, of course. ~S~

Liam on January 5, 2013 at 2:01 PM

My new “H” grade comes from a classic episode of The Jetsons called “Elroy’s Mob” (1963); in that epic one of Elroy’s Democrat classmates, Kenny Countdown, is informed by the teacher that one of his grades was an “H”. In true Liberal fashion, Kenny switches report tapes will Elroy on the sly, as Elroy had all A’s and B’s. Elroy ends up running away from home.

Del Dolemonte on January 5, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Well come on trolls, come on and comment.

Libfree, where are ya buddy?

Bueller….

Bueller….?

itsspideyman on January 5, 2013 at 5:06 PM

The idea was to intimidate gun owners, maybe start a few arguments between neighbors, so gun owners might be browbeaten to give up their weapons by people saying they don’t want guns in their neighborhoods any more than they want pedophiles.

That’s as far as it went, I think; liberals are not known for thinking things through to their ultimate possible conclusions.

Liam on January 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I can just imagine one of my neighbors coming over to my house to “browbeat” me into giving up my weapons. That would be funny.

VegasRick on January 5, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Living in Alabama, they’d be coming over to compare weapons, and be giving you the high five.

itsspideyman on January 5, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Sounds like the law on unintended consequences. That’s what happens when you think with your agenda, rather than your brain.

bflat879 on January 5, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Well, some folks think that the only good LEO is a dead LEO. That’s because the LEOs are perfectly happy to arrest anyone who violates any law, even a law which is plainly illegal. An MP would know that he/she should not enforce an illegal order: why is it that LEOs are not taught such?

I have little sympathy for such folks — they aren’t bottom-of-the-barrel (the criminals typically are), but they are right on top of the criminals.

Henry Bowman on January 5, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I have been outraged at the The Journal News having the smug audacity to publish personal info on law-abiding legal gun owners. The Journal News has now potentially endangered those who are completely defenseless, more so than those who are legally armed.

The Journal News = imbecils.

pacmNY on January 5, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Feelgood story of the day – relatively on-topic.

Shy Guy on January 6, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Fair trade: go ahead and publish identifying information on gun owners … in return, publish names and addresses of all abortion providers.

It’s just information. Let’s share.

Professor Blather on January 6, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Well, I know liberals don’t like prison guards. Look how Hollywood portrays them.

Shawshank Redemption
Redemption
Cool Hand Luke
The Last Castle

smoothsailing on January 6, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Liam on January 5, 2013 at 1:28 PM

ghostwalker1 on January 5, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Not irony. Hypocrisy. It’s always hypocrisy and idiocy regarding liberals.

Newspaper That Put Gun Permit Map Online Hires Armed Guards

Kyle_Reese on January 6, 2013 at 4:07 AM

I realize most on this forum will not bother to write congresscritters and for good reason. I normally would not bother. The problem as I see it this time and the impending implications of not doing so leaves them thinking they have nothing to fear from a population of sheeple. For once I felt compelled to remind them we are not all sheeple. Below is what I felt compelled to send this time to ensure they know at least one person will not comply.

I am a United States Army retiree who has spent my entire adult life sworn to protect our Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic. I view the attack on legal gun owners as a direct attack against our Constitution and the amendments. The argument that our forefathers did not expect us to own so called “assault rifles” and magazines with multiple rounds is absurd. They did expect us to maintain a level of arms reasonably equal to the government. It was clear in their writings the purpose was the prevent the government from becoming tyranical in nature and a threat to the civilian population. What is currently taking place in our country by the political class borders on treason. Using the deaths of innocents by deranged individuals does not give the government the right to disarm law abiding citizens exercising their God given rights.

I urge you to vehemently oppose any efforts to illegally disarm law abiding citizens. My wife and I will not be disarmed by zealots in direct violation of our Constitutional rights. History is replete with governments who disarmed the population leaving them at the mercy of tyrants who then proceeded to slaughter the people. Since the beginning of the 20th century over 200 million people died by democide. We will not be subject to this usurpation of power, we will not turn in our arms, we will not comply with illegal legislation, and we will not go willingly into the ovens of history.

Stand with the people.

usarmyretired on January 6, 2013 at 5:44 AM

usarmyretired on January 6, 2013 at 5:44 AM

I’ll be writing, that’s for sure. Though all my Congresscritters are Democrats and won’t listen to me. I’m stuck with chuckles Schumer, for one. The only thing good about him is his niece Amy, who’s stunningly beautiful and a stand up comic I like though she’s sometimes a little too foul-mouthed for my taste.

In any case, I have no intention of taking a gun ban lying down. And if it somehow passes, I have options other than compliance with their silly little unconstitutional ‘law’.

Liam on January 6, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Considering the number of jobs lives that are created or saved by firearms…

Created, because someone got to go home and make babies instead of to the morgue because they were armed and crooks just left them alone.

Saved, because crooks who attacked people with firearms didn’t get that chance to take more lives. (14+ (mass murder) vs 2 (armed citizen))

ProfShadow on January 6, 2013 at 7:33 AM

ProfShadow on January 6, 2013 at 7:33 AM

By the stats, the presence of a gun makes the criminal run away before any shots need to be fired. The media only make a news story when a law-abiding man or woman shoots a criminal. For every time that happens, there are countless others who didn’t need fire.

Those stories, too, need to be told.

Liam on January 6, 2013 at 7:40 AM

It’s been said before against tyranny, by men greater than me. So it bears repeating:

“If they mean to have a war, let it begin here.”

Liam on January 6, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

opaobie on January 6, 2013 at 1:55 AM

This is from another thread but it also bears being seen everywhere and oft-repeated.

Hat tip to the commenter!

Liam on January 6, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Hmm… this seems so familiar. Where has this sort of thing been done before?

Yeah… lets just not make their names public.. lets make them wear patches on their clothes and mark their businesses with a star or something.

And while we’re at it, lets make public everyone who is or has ever been a member of the communist party.
Maybe we could also post the names of all politicians who haven’t paid their taxes. Who have done any drugs. had extramarital affairs or DUI’s.

How about listing the names of politicians who have friends that are terrorists. Or felons? Or who make frequent trips to China, Saudi Arabia or Russia.

Maybe we should post a whole lot of lists and names.

JellyToast on January 6, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Maybe we should post a whole lot of lists and names.

JellyToast on January 6, 2013 at 8:38 AM

The libs will cry foul!

I’m all for your idea. I find sport when liblets squirm.

Liam on January 6, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Liam on January 6, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Nothing will pass congress which is why BO is going the EO route.
Wash Post

From the article.

In addition to potential legislative proposals, Biden’s group has expanded its focus to include measures that would not need congressional approval and could be quickly implemented by executive action, according to interest-group leaders who have discussed options with Biden and key Cabinet secretaries.

We are witness to the birth of a dictatorship and the dems and liberals are giddy at the prospect.

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 6, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Just announced from this “newspaper”.

They are changing their name to Völkischer Beobachter.

They’ve been promised a significant bump in subscriptions as well
as plenty of breaking news from DC and the democrats.

It’s expected to top a couple of million in readership in a couple of years just like the last paper that enjoyed this name.

acyl72 on January 6, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Nothing will pass congress which is why BO is going the EO route.
Wash Post

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 6, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I have never been good at taking orders. Just ask my ex-wife.

If I refused to listen to her, does Obama think I or someone like me is going to bow down to him?

Liam on January 6, 2013 at 12:14 PM

scruplesrx on January 6, 2013 at 12:35 PM

And the bastard lived.

If I were him, I’d be getting myself some religion about now.

Liam on January 6, 2013 at 1:39 PM

With space exploration now available to the public, perhaps soon we will be able to travel to Planet Newsroom.

stout77 on January 6, 2013 at 1:41 PM

stout77 on January 6, 2013 at 1:41 PM

It’s a gas giant, though. Made of nothing but methane with rubber core.

Liam on January 6, 2013 at 1:45 PM

It’s a gas giant, though. Made of nothing but methane with rubber core.

Liam on January 6, 2013 at 1:45 PM

And inhabited only by underweight white liberals wearing skinny jeans and those dorky McFly glasses.

stout77 on January 6, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Nothing will pass congress which is why BO is going the EO route.
Wash Post

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 6, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I brought up the issue of executive orders on a gun board, and was assured by many there that the President would never misuse an executive order. At any rate our superb system of checks and balances would soon put the matter to right. I brought up the fact that an executive order was used by the beloved FDR to send over 100,000 Japanese to internment camps, a majority of whom were American citizens, born here. I further pointed out that they were given 6 days to dispose of all their property and report for transport, and that the Supreme Court upheld the order in 1944.

I was told my tinfoil was too tight. It couldn’t happen here, and so forth. People seem to think they will always see things coming, even when they’re in the middle of something they didn’t see coming like the current gun and ammo shortage, or the lost Presidential election. 30 years ago who would have believe that poisonous old hags like Diane Feinstein would still be up there introducing traitorous bills, or that the President would be left wing ideologue named Barack Hussein Obama?

claudius on January 6, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Since the Völkischer Beobachter has been brought up, I might as well add my own Nazi reference. How many Germans would have believed in 1928 that in 1933 that the head of the National Socialist Workers Party would become Chancellor and completely cement his absolute power in the space of less than 1 year?

claudius on January 6, 2013 at 2:15 PM

These heinous media enemies sow the seeds of their own demise. If need be, any motivated individuals could return the “outing” favor and add some interest. One doesn’t need to invade their crap soup of morality for long until they will retreat to their mommy’s basements wetting themselves in terror.

trl on January 6, 2013 at 2:33 PM

And the bastard lived.

If I were him, I’d be getting myself some religion about now.

Liam on January 6, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Not so sure there. You keep forgetting multiple cases where intruders successfully sued those who shot them in self defense. And won nice money comps. I see yet another lawsuit coming, plenty of liberal lawyers out there wanting to make a quick buck.

riddick on January 6, 2013 at 3:12 PM

All of the LE identified on those maps should make it a point to gather at the Journal News’ offices one day, in uniform, to speak to the Editor and Publisher.

Another Drew on January 6, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Again post the names of non gun owners.

CW on January 5, 2013 at 12:58 PM

NO, that’s a foregone conclusion. Not on the list? Then you don’t legally own a handgun.

I’d say let’s publish the names and addresses of management and staff of all publications. I could see a lot of people I wouldn’t hire in my company. If they can’t think things through to their obvious conclusion, they would have no business in my business.

Unfortunately, that would also be dropping down to their level of stupidity, where they can easily beat you with their experience.

Hammie on January 6, 2013 at 7:03 PM

The only way to make them care, is for the named gun owners (including, and especially, corrections officers) to get together and file a class action suit against Gannet, for endangering the public (because legitimate gun owners are part of the public, no?), and for emotional distress. I bet there’s a law firm somewhere in New York just salivating to take that on.

RebeccaH on January 5, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Better yet, a class action lawsuit on behalf of all residences not listed on the map, for being “outed” as “safe for home invasion” because criminals now know there are no license gun owners at their premises.

AverageJoe on January 7, 2013 at 5:41 PM

AverageJoe on January 7, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I was about to write nearly the exact same thing. The only measurable result of this action by those newspapers will be an increase in successful home robberies, as the crooks avoid armed homes.

Freelancer on January 7, 2013 at 6:47 PM