Great news: Federally-permitted lightbulbs a cancer risk

posted at 1:01 pm on January 4, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Legislate in haste … repent at leisure. In their haste to rid Americans of the unconscionable plague of perfectly safe if somewhat inefficient incandescent lighting, politicians in Washington have forced us to adopt more expensive technology in its place. Compact flourescent lighting (CFLs) are already known to be a considerable disposal risk, thanks to the mercury used in them. A new study reported earlier this week by Miami’s CBS affiliate warns of an operational risk as well — ultraviolet radiation that can cause skin cancers and even acute burns (via Katie Pavlich):

Every time you turn on the lights, you may be putting yourself at risk, according to a disturbing new study.

Energy efficient bulbs are eco-friendly and can save you big bucks, but experts say that some could also have a dark side.

Actually, they’re not all that eco-friendly, as even the government acknowledges.  The EPA wants to argue that the release of mercury from CFLs in disposal is less than that released from the burning of the amount of coal one saves by using them.  That may well be true overall, but not if one breaks in your house.  At that point, you need to conduct an hours-long cleanup — and even if you want to dispose of an unbroken CFL, it takes special disposal in most jurisdictions due to the eco-unfriendly nature of CFLs.

And now, it takes special instructions to use them, too:

Money saving, compact fluorescent light bulbs emit high levels of ultra violet radiation, according to a new study. Research at Long Island’s Stony Brook found that the bulbs emit rays so strong that they can actually burn skin and skin cells.

“The results were that you could actually initiate cell death,” said Marcia Simon, a Professor of Dermatology.

Exposure to the bulbs could lead to premature aging and skin cancer, according to doctors.

“It can also cause skin cancer in the deadliest for, and that’s melanoma,” said Dr. Rebecca Tung.

Well, these are just the defective CFLs, right?  The outsides are coated to block UV radiation.  And that’s true, but …

In every bulb that researchers tested they found that the protective coating around the light creating ‘phosphor’ was cracked, allowing dangerous ultraviolet rays to escape.

So what can you do?  Stay away from them:

Stony Brook researches advised that customers exercise caution and stay two feet away from the bulbs at all times, while storing them in an overhead fixture or lamp.

Gee … maybe Congress should have thought to check this out before regulating incandescents out of existence.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Full Algorean scrooming.

The bloated pig laughs at you.

When top level people look down,they see only sh*theads;
When the bottom level people look up,they see only azzholes.

Schadenfreude on January 4, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Greatest scam in history.

Fools, all of you who bring them, suffer until it hurts insufferably.

Schadenfreude on January 4, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Edison is laughing his a$$ off.

Electrongod on January 4, 2013 at 1:06 PM

You’re assuming that I won’t just toss burnt out CFLs into my trash can. That assumption will be found wanting.

Physics Geek on January 4, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Just needs more lead shielding

DarkCurrent on January 4, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I am sure ObamaCare’s tanning tax can now be implemented on these CFL bulbs now.

Electrongod on January 4, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Oh this is so ‘last year’ where you been Ed? Asleep at the helm?

I don’t and won’t use these bloody lightbulbs…

Prolly another bright Al-AG idea… sigh…

And the idiots will continue to believe in GW and line the pockets of the elitist lefties, and hasten their own demise and that of the land.

Scrumpy on January 4, 2013 at 1:08 PM

So let me get this straight….Uncle Sugar says you must make and use this. Company A, B, and C switch over and make them. Little Johnny gets his skin cancer diagnosis.

Guess who gets the bejeezus sued out of them. It sure won’t be Uncle Sugar(and his Congress Critters).

Limerick on January 4, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Mercury and skin cancer. The Federal screw-up 1-2 punch. This is what happens when closed mind, crony pandering, science hating, political-science loving Greenies attempt to steer the market. They hang their hat on stuff that is at most intermediary technology like it’s the end-all. They can’t make windmills, they can’t make solar cells, they can’t make batteries, they can’t make cars, they have no technological sense or business sense or common sense. Turkeys drowning in the rain. Useless bunch of detritus occupying valuable air and space.

ironked on January 4, 2013 at 1:10 PM

So we need to wear sunscreen while indoors, now? This would not just be CFL’s, it would apply to all fluorescent lights.

iurockhead on January 4, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Physics Geek on January 4, 2013 at 1:06 PM

First time I had one of those things malfunction and stink up my home, I threw it in the trash… got rid of them all, once I found out how toxic the damn things are…

Yeah, I fell for the hype, but learned a valuable lesson from it.

I don’t believe sh!t any more coming from anyone…about anything.

Scrumpy on January 4, 2013 at 1:11 PM

What I don’t get is it’s ILLEGAL to manufacture or import incandescent bulbs. At least 100W and 75W, so far. That makes Ohio’s ban on smoking in public places seem like … like … a Libertarian’s paradise. Move to CFLs, sure … but make its alternative ILLEGAL? Stop being so good to me. I can’t stand it!

Paul-Cincy on January 4, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Cancer causing lightbulbs foisted upon us by Congress? You think this is a mistake?

LetsBfrank on January 4, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Can Little Johnny point to his skin lesions and say “I didn’t make this” ???

Limerick on January 4, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Great news: Federally-permitted lightbulbs a cancer risk

/Jedi mind trick: These are not the Federally-permitted lightbulbs you are looking for…

These are FEDERALLY Mandated Environmental hazards.

SWalker on January 4, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I don’t believe sh!t any more coming from anyone…about anything.

Scrumpy on January 4, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I have 2 CFL floodlamps for recessed lighting, one over the kitchen sink, the other on the front porch. Both take minutes to get to their brightness. You turn them on, they’re very dim, and not effective. But your front porch, and kitchen sink … you turn it on, you want instant light. It’s crazy.

Paul-Cincy on January 4, 2013 at 1:14 PM

The EPA is solidly behind this “green” technology. The schmoozing job Immelt did will be felt in a generation or two when the landfills begin to leaks mercury into the aquifer and spread with the water table.

Thanks GE, Congress and EPA, not only did you ruin the drinking water, but you also did great exporting all those jobs!

belad on January 4, 2013 at 1:16 PM

What? And risk the millions of dollars in bribes and kick-back GE was offering them? Seriously Ed, have you considered entering rehab?

SWalker on January 4, 2013 at 1:17 PM

So does this finding also pertain to the non-compact fluorescent lights that have been in use since, oh, the beginning of indoor lighting?

My my my……….

8-foot tubes: No problem

Curly tubes: RADHAZ

BobMbx on January 4, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I demand that every light bulb package carry a photo of skin cancer victims.

Limerick on January 4, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Those mesothelioma ambulance-chasing scum are going to be very busy for the next few decades …

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 4, 2013 at 1:18 PM

And, flourescent lighting sucks sh!t, anyway. It’s the worst and kills eyesight. Everyone who pushed these awful bulbs and helped to ban incandescents deserves to burn in hell …. slowly.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 4, 2013 at 1:20 PM

These bulbs have to be the only product containing mercury that is described as ‘eco-friendly’. If you break one in your house, you’re supposed to treat it as a toxic spill. If people throw them into the garbage, they leach into the water table and contaminate it with one of the most toxic poisons known to humans. If those things are acceptable risks, why would the green industry give two f@rts about an increased risk of skin cancer??

ProfessorMiao on January 4, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I read a few days ago that they plan to ‘ban’ the 60-40w soon! I have a huge stash but going to get more. WE will not use those bulbs anyplace in our home!
L

letget on January 4, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Maybe Boehner should use incandescents in his desk lamp..?

affenhauer on January 4, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Man- my living room is really going to look cluttered with orange cones and caution tape around all the lighting fixtures.

Happy Nomad on January 4, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Like that happens. I’d bet that near 100% of the broken ones get swept up and tossed in the trash and that most likely goes for the bad ones too.

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 4, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I built my house 4 years ago, it is a law in california (title 22 I believe) that a certain portion of the lighting in your home MUST be cfl, the cfl can lights are 8 x more expensive ($40 per fixture) than a regular can light ($6.50 per fixture) and get this you will not get certificate of occupancy until you have the correct percentage on the inside of your home. Also on the outside all lighting must be cfl, if not again no certificate of occupancy. The fixture in my home have all been replaced with regular can lights and LED lights that are more efficient, brighter and last 20+ years, also not hazardous to my or my families health. All exterior fixtures were replaced less than a week after certificate of occupancy, they were just worthless.

government killing us slowly, have to keep the revenue stream comming in I guess?

DustInCa on January 4, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Still think the govt is looking out for YOUR best interests eh?

This:

And this:

They will do use say anything to control us!

It’s not over…never will be…tie the pieces together and our govt doesn’t paint a very rosy future for americans, now or in the future, what do you think Obamacare is really all about eh?

Scrumpy on January 4, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 4, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I sure as hell am not going to spend hours worrying about hazmat from one of these Congressionally mandated death bulbs.

Happy Nomad on January 4, 2013 at 1:23 PM

This study came out in July—it isn’t new. I’m not sure why it’s being picked up now unless it’s to match the reporting of the demise of the 75-watt bulb.

It’s been out for months and Congress never did anything about it.

It was also funded by the National Science Foundation. Congress is obviously not up to date on activities of the various gov. organizations.

INC on January 4, 2013 at 1:24 PM

In other stupid government news…

(European) Union Power!

Resist We Much on January 4, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Uh Oops “We’re from the government, and we’re here to help.” It would almost be funny, if it wasn’t so stupid. The do gooders actually believe this crap. Change your light bulbs, and save a baby polar bear somewhere thousand of miles away. Drop the da$# thing poison yourself and your neighbors. Stop coal and oil, use wind power and shred hundreds of eagles, hawks and other birds. But we feel good about ourselves when we make others do stupid enviromentally bogus things. Like the van recently seen, bumper sticker ” i recycle, green all the way.” Opens the driver window out goes the McDonald breakfast trash. Hmmm I guess in a few yeras it will be recycled. Feel good hypocrites, never see them in the forest and I spend a lot of time in the forest, but there they are at Starbucks with their “green BS bumper stickers. Posers and morons, .

stormridercx4 on January 4, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Sucks to live in Cali eh?

Scrumpy on January 4, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Happy Nomad on January 4, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Neither did I, and I bet no-one else has either.

I mean seriously a HAZMAT crew to clean up a freaking broken light bulb?

I refuse to be a sheeple…

Scrumpy on January 4, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I demand that every light bulb package carry a photo of skin cancer victims.

Limerick on January 4, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Caution: CFLs May be Hazardous to Your Health
Warning: The Surgeon General Has Determined that CFLs are Dangerous to Your Health
SURGEON GENERAL’S WARNING: CFLs Cause Skin Cancer, Mental Health problems, And May Complicate Pregnancy.
SURGEON GENERAL’S WARNING: Removing CFLs from your Home Now Greatly Reduces Serious Risks to Your Health.
SURGEON GENERAL’S WARNING: CFLs Contain Mercury, Which have been Shown to Cause Brain Damage in Infants and Children.

Paul-Cincy on January 4, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Physics Geek on January 4, 2013 at 1:06 PM

You’re doing it wrong. Package them up and mail them to the EPA (or your local Dept of Environmental Management). Be sure that you use the return address of the nearest Sierra Club office.

antipc on January 4, 2013 at 1:27 PM

certificate of occupancy
DustInCa on January 4, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Never heard of that. Is it only with newly built houses?
I’ve switch mostly to LED lighting. I’ve been picking them up cheap at Home Depot, Lowes and IKEA.

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Forgive me, Lord, but I truly hate our elected officials.

totherightofthem on January 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Thank God the one that malfunctioned didn’t bust wide open, just stunk to high heaven…

Scrumpy on January 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I sure all the companies that pushed this crap on the American people via crony capitalism (for example General Electric and NBC who was run by them at that point) will enjoy all the lawsuits that come out of this over the next 20-30 years.

Proper justice for crony capitalist. What a pity the federal government is so hard to bring lawsuits against. Maybe we can bring lawsuits against certain congressmen (as individuals) and “green” groups who had a “stake” in this scam. I think the progressives deserve to suffer the effects not having tort reform and liability limits. Let the jury decide the cost of the punishment…which will be huge!

William Eaton on January 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Never forget it was (our own) Georgey Bush who signed this into law.

One of his many jackass capitulations.

jake-the-goose on January 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 4, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Like the garbage truck trash compactor isn’t going to break it before it goes into the landfill.

Paul-Cincy on January 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM

The ad at the top here is about Melanoma Treatments! Guess that ad fits right in with these cancer bulbs?
L

letget on January 4, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I got rid of muine cause they suck, they went in trash? I guess they need to put hazmat disposal instructions on the label… because everyone is going to keep the packaging from a light bulb thats installed…

DustInCa on January 4, 2013 at 1:32 PM

How many people are actually following guidelines for the proper disposal of these bulbs? My guess is nobody but anal retentive busybodies that work for the EPA.

NotCoach on January 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Never forget it was (our own) Georgey Bush who signed this into law.

One of his many jackass capitulations.

jake-the-goose on January 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM

He signed lots into law that was not good for this country. I don’t know why some conservatives think he was good for the country. I have a politician friend and I’ve told him that Bush had the fortune to have one of the greatest misfortunes this country ever had. In my opinion if it were not for 9/11 Bush would have been a one term president.

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Is the White House completely lighted with CFLs yet?

All those primadona elites would be aghast when they go to preen themselves in the White House ladies rooms.

Hopefully, Botox injections show up puke green under CFL lighting.

MichaelGabriel on January 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I mean seriously a HAZMAT crew to clean up a freaking broken light bulb?

I refuse to be a sheeple…

Scrumpy on January 4, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Read it and weep

Then read this and laugh:

What if I can’t recycle an un-broken CFL?

What If I Can’t Recycle?

If your state or local environmental regulatory agency permits you to put used or broken CFLs in the regular household trash, seal the bulb in a plastic bag and put it into the outside trash for the next normal trash collection.

Break a bulb? HAZMAT team. Not broken? Just chuck it in the trash.

Brought to you by the same folks who said you can’t take a lighter onto an airplane, but matches are just fine.

BobMbx on January 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Stupid.

They should have told people to wear sun screen inside their homes. Idiots.

blink on January 4, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I’ve got a better idea – body wash with built-in SPF 50 sunblock. Problem solved!

Ward Cleaver on January 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM

GE actually closed plants here because they moved production of these dumb things to Mexico.

OT But some of you may want to do this if you can…

Thousands to Join Hobby Lobby Appreciation Day Over Mandate Fight
The plan:
On Saturday, January 5th, all Americans who value freedom of religion and oppose the HHS Mandate’s unfair impositions upon religious individuals and corporate entities are called upon to show their support for Hobby Lobby by shopping either at their local retail Hobby Lobby store or online.

Deanna on January 4, 2013 at 1:35 PM

BobMbx on January 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM

And Concord just banned plastic water bottles. Lord save me from the plastic water bottle! Show me the path to green righteousness with CFLs!

Limerick on January 4, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Skin cancer? Not to worry, Obamacare covers it. Take the blue pill.

petefrt on January 4, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Limerick on January 4, 2013 at 1:36 PM

But plastic soda bottles are still legal. Democrats are sooooooo brilliant.

Resist We Much on January 4, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Ward Cleaver on January 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Not quite.

sunscreen risk

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 4, 2013 at 1:39 PM

NotCoach on January 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Not me – I throw ‘em in the trash. I broke one once (a brand new one, dammit!). It’s a 9w that I use in a range hood (it stays on 24/7), and I dropped it on the range while trying to screw it in. I used a paper towel and glass cleaner to get up the tiny bits, and put it all in the trash. Mercury, shmercury.

Ward Cleaver on January 4, 2013 at 1:39 PM

certrificate of occupancy in Ca is for all homes, a county inspector has to approve the plans, then make several inspections while the house is being built to certify safety and compliance, then after the house is complete, they come out and do a final. they check electrical, plumbimg, working stove, bathrooms, sinks, water heater has a pan under it (even tankless, I went rounds with my inspector over this one.. a tankless water heater needs a leak tray??? why? the law says so) certain number of cfl lights, and in my HOA (communist entity) 3 trees of a specified type must be planted in my front yard. You dont have to have carpet or tile but you must have a “safe” functioning house.

DustInCa on January 4, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Never heard of that. Is it only with newly built houses?

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Every structure must obtain a COO before you can use it. It sounds kind of silly, but it prevents somebody from building homes without a bathroom. The COO is something most folks have never seen, and never will.

BobMbx on January 4, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Breaking: Uncle Sugar publishes guidelines for CFL hazards….Call Uncle Sugar’s CFL disposal squad at 1-800-Moretax.

Limerick on January 4, 2013 at 1:40 PM

So the light bulb didn’t go on in congress’s head?

docflash on January 4, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Because of the local stores making it harder to find incandecent bulbs and my refusal to go with CFL’s, I instead went to LED lights on my outside security lights and indoors in my bedrooms and living room. I would say about 80-85% of my lighting is from LED.

To be honest, it was a little bit of a hurdle finding the right shaped bulbs for lamps and the equivelant lumens (lighting power) to replace them, but once I did, it is fantastic. I haven’t replaced a bulb in a year now, something I was doing every other month with the old ones. The light is a bit “whiter” looking too.

Downside is that those buggers are kinda expensive. One outdoor security light is $20.00 or so. Times 8 for all the fixtures is just under $180.00 with tax. It is a big buy-in at the front, but you save in not replacing them later, not to mention they draw WAY less wattage than either incandecent or CFL.

Texan on January 4, 2013 at 1:43 PM

CFLs and other fluorescent light bulbs contain a small amount of mercury sealed within the glass tubing. When a fluorescent bulb breaks in your home, some of this mercury is released as mercury vapor. To minimize exposure to mercury vapor, EPA recommends that residents follow the cleanup and disposal steps described on this page.

Awww shoot, could the stink have been Murcury vapor? Tho the bulb itself was broken?

Scrumpy on January 4, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Anyone else here remember, “Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball”?

calbear on January 4, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Was= Wasn’t

Scrumpy on January 4, 2013 at 1:46 PM

ProfessorMiao on January 4, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Yes, Mercury is toxic, one of the most toxic, umm, no, not really.

SWalker on January 4, 2013 at 1:46 PM

…a kid broke a themometor with a little mercury in it…in the hallway of a local High School…and the school was on lockdown while a HAZMAT crew was there for six hours.
…but everyone is throwing the lightbulbs with multiple times the mercury in their daily trash…water tables be damned!

KOOLAID2 on January 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I played with mercury as a kid. Pushed it around with my fingers. It didn’t do me any harm. I’m OK. I played with mercury as a kid. It forms metallic droplets you can push around with your fingers. It didn’t do me any harm. I played with mercury as a kid.

Paul-Cincy on January 4, 2013 at 1:49 PM

As a confirmed greenie there is a simple solution to the problem. Go to frakking bed when it gets dark.

Limerick on January 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Cancer isn’t a concern any more thanks to Obamacare. Everyone has access to coverage, even if 99% of people in the US have skin cancer caused by CFLs as a pre-existing condition. Nothing to worry about./s

weaselyone on January 4, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Awww shoot, could the stink have been Mercury vapor? Tho the bulb itself was broken?

Scrumpy on January 4, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Nope, the stink would have been the white phosphorous used to line the bulb.

SWalker on January 4, 2013 at 1:51 PM

KOOLAID2 on January 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM

The Gubmint says it’s ok!! Just wrap it in a plastic bag, n the trashman will pick it up.

Me feel bad about tossing them? :-(

Not when my Holy Gov’t says I can just toss them…lol…

Scrumpy on January 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Buy LEDs. I’ve been spreading the word for a long time not to buy CFLs.

Versus CFLs, LEDs look better, can save you more money, last longer, and are infinitely safer.

Nessuno on January 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I’ve switched to LED’s too. They’re still pricey, but they actually work (unlike CFL’s), they’re not hard on the eyes or health (like CFL’s), and they do last almost forever.

The trick with LED’s is to shop for the warmth of color that you like. They’re making some decent warm whites now (2700K), but you have to scout for them.

petefrt on January 4, 2013 at 1:53 PM

SWalker on January 4, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Thank you!! I never knew :-)

Will stash that bit of info away for future use…

Scrumpy on January 4, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Ward Cleaver on January 4, 2013 at 1:39 PM

You and 99.999% of everyone else disposing of these turds. How long before we see PSAs pleading with us to properly dispose of these government mandated monstrosities?

NotCoach on January 4, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Don’t worry, you’ll get free pain pills to deal with your cancer.

Rebar on January 4, 2013 at 1:54 PM

petefrt on January 4, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Ok, let trade the moderately toxic Mercury for the extremely toxic Arsenic… Whoo hoo…

SWalker on January 4, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Dangerous? Well, yeah. But it helped GE’s bottom line. Small price to pay for Jeffery Immelt’s undying love and devotion. Which worked out great, since he was on Obama’s economic panel. Everything is clearly for the best in this, the best of all possible administrations.

ROCnPhilly on January 4, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Is Barry’s halo CFL?

Limerick on January 4, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Upside: Your home could be a tanning booth!

WHY IS EVERY STORY ABOUT SARAH PALIN!!!!

/sarc

tom on January 4, 2013 at 1:57 PM

This information came out back in July of last year. Not sure why it’s just now being posted here, but I’m glad it was since I also missed it back then. We have just a few of these bulbs in our house, mostly because I do not want to have to clean a broken one up. That hasn’t happened thankfully, but now it never will, they are history in our house. I know it’s just a drop in the bucket in terms of the toxins we are exposed to every day. But, all I can say is: It’s the disposal, stupid. No offense.

TeaTrekkie on January 4, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Oh noes!!

White Phosphorus is a danger too!!

I am going to candles and oil light from now on…

Scrumpy on January 4, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I am going to candles and oil light from now on…

Scrumpy on January 4, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Carbon tax for YOU!

Limerick on January 4, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I am going to candles and oil light from now on…

Scrumpy on January 4, 2013 at 1:59 PM

As long as its oil from a renewable source, like whales.

BobMbx on January 4, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Not me – I throw ‘em in the trash.

Ward Cleaver on January 4, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Careful, refuse technicians are known to have anger management issues.

petefrt on January 4, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Nessuno on January 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM

LEDs are dopped

DarkCurrent on January 4, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Limerick and BobMbx:

You guys!!! Lmao…

Gonna find me a cave somewhere… lol… use wood for heat and light so there!!

It’s what the greenies want! Push us back into the Stoneage…

Scrumpy on January 4, 2013 at 2:04 PM

SWalker on January 4, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Dern, I didn’t know that about LED’s until now.

The Dark Side of LED Lightbulbs
, Scientific American

petefrt on January 4, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Buy CFLs? Why? My power company sent me two boxes of them for free?

BohicaTwentyTwo on January 4, 2013 at 2:12 PM

CFL’s cause cancer. So does the Sun. The answer is obvious that mankind needs to adapt to be able to see in the dark.

weaselyone on January 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Another high-point in the career of Henry Waxman.

Can we call this skin-cancer a “Waxman-Melanoma”?

Another Drew on January 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM

This anti-CFL activism is ridiculous. Fluorescent bulbs have been in use at every school, store and job, hospital I’ve ever spent time at in all of my 50 years. Why wasn’t there any activism against them before Congress mandated their use? Besides, LED bulbs are catching up fast in quality of light and price. I’ve already replaced half the CFLs (which still work fine, btw) in my house with LEDs and I’m saving even more electricity and the quality of light emitted is even better. I’m lighting my bathroom with four globe LED vanity bulbs using a total of 4.8 watts (1.2 watts each), which is less than an old 7 watt night light. Incandescent bulbs are a thing of the past. It’s time to let go and find something important to get worked up about.

OxyCon on January 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM

OxyCon on January 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM

CFL’s don’t work me up. What works me up is gubmint intruding itself in legitimate markets, dictating my consumer choices and telling me what I can and cannot buy.

petefrt on January 4, 2013 at 2:31 PM

If it hadn’t been for this stupid law to use “dangerous” light bulbs, I wouldn’t know that I had something in common with Steve Forbes — we are both hoarding incandescent light bulbs.

polarglen on January 4, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Does Obamacare pay for disease caused by the EPA?

DaveDief on January 4, 2013 at 2:38 PM

If mercury is okay in CFLs how come it’s not okay in thermometers?

PattyJ on January 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM