National crisis averted: House to vote on pork-filled Sandy relief bill by January 15, Peter King to support Boehner for Speaker

posted at 4:51 pm on January 2, 2013 by Allahpundit

An anxious America waits and wonders: Can New York and New Jersey hang on for two more weeks?

U.S. House Speaker John Boehner has assured lawmakers that the House will vote on $60 billion in aid related to Superstorm Sandy by January 15, a group of lawmakers from New York and New Jersey told reporters Wednesday afternoon…

The lawmakers met with Boehner Wednesday afternoon and then made the announcement.

“As far as I’m concerned … it was an extremely positive” meeting, said U.S. Rep. Peter King, R-New York, who earlier Wednesday called Boehner’s Tuesday move a “knife in the back.”

The plan is to vote Friday for $9 billion in aid and then deal with the remaining $51 billion on the 15th. The fact that they’re still talking about a $60 billion package means, presumably, that they’re going to cave and keep all or most of the porky Senate bill rather than strip out the expenditures unrelated to Sandy and vote on a “clean” bill. Taxpayers have to pay the price for poor “optics” here, I guess: If they pass a $30 billion bill instead, the next narrative will be “GOP guts Sandy bill,” possibly replete with another grandstanding Chris Christie press conference. Can’t have that. Better pass it all.

Meanwhile, here’s how seriously you should take Peter “Don’t donate to Republicans” King:

In the span of about six hours, the guy went from accusing Boehner of sticking a knife in New York’s back for slightly delaying a bill that’s destined to pass to supporting him as de facto leader of the GOP for another two years. At least when Christie affects outrage for political gain, he keeps up the charade for a day or two.

Speaking of which, enjoy as the media hero and future No Labels candidate sounds off. Do note that the video below comes from his own press team. And not only are they circulating the full clip, they’re sending around a smaller clip in which he dumps on Congress just to make sure no one misses the political point of all this.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Matthew Boyle ‏@mboyle1

It’s not a rumor. Outgoing Rep. Jeff Landry just confirmed they have 17. Enough to unseat Boehner.

Via Twitter. Matthew Boyle works over at Breitbart.

JPeterman on January 2, 2013 at 5:46 PM

kim roy on January 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I’ve not heard of ANYONE VOLUNTEERING to be the next media Whipping boy.

FlaMurph on January 2, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Because the “Conservative Media” is just as complicit as the “Liberal Media” in picking winners and losers.

portlandon on January 2, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Sounds to me as if nobody’s actually conservative but you.

KingGold on January 2, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Disgusted with last night’s voting, I went down to City Hall this morning and unenrolled myself from the GOP. I changed my affiliation to Independent. I’ll continue to fully support the TEA Party and work to elect and reelect true conservatives, but after almost 40 years of support, I’ve had it with the Country Club Republicans.
TKindred on January 2, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I’m right there with you. Did the same.

tyketto on January 2, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Jonah Goldberg ‏@JonahNRO

Sounds about right RT @NikkiFinke Al Jazeera To Acquire Current TV: NY Times http://dlvr.it/2kmxGJ via @DeadlineCom

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Interesting. Who’s going to be the new vict… uh… sacri… uh… leader? Any names coming up?

kim roy on January 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Have not heard anything.

JPeterman on January 2, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I’ve not heard of ANYONE VOLUNTEERING to be the next media Whipping boy.

FlaMurph on January 2, 2013 at 5:47 PM

They volunteer? I thought they either drugged the person and tossed them out in front of the media or drew straws.

Gingrich silly enough to do it? That sure would be entertaining.

kim roy on January 2, 2013 at 5:51 PM

TKindred on January 2, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I’m right there with you. Did the same.

tyketto on January 2, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Can’t really blame you guys.

rob verdi on January 2, 2013 at 5:51 PM

So, please tell us how McCain outperformed Romney, again?

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM

1. Bush fatigue. 2 Obama was then Mr Messiah, not the worst president on record. 3. McCain wasn’t pimped for the previous 3 years as The Only One Who Can Win.

ddrintn on January 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Sounds to me as if nobody’s actually conservative but you.

KingGold on January 2, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Are you for real?

portlandon on January 2, 2013 at 5:54 PM

ddrintn on January 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM

I asked you to explain how McCain outperformed Romney. The numbers do not support your assertion.

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Aside from being the most qualified candidate for the job- evah –\

FlaMurph on January 2, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Bullshit. Who needs tin foil when toadies were going around for 4 years spouting such nonsense?

ddrintn on January 2, 2013 at 5:54 PM

I’m glad to see the RINO’s are sliding out of their mud holes and fever swamps for this years early feeding.

I hope their self-aggrandizing acts are eye openers for some people.

Mr. Arrogant on January 2, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Are you for real?

portlandon on January 2, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Very. And that corner you’re painting yourself into is getting smaller with every post.

KingGold on January 2, 2013 at 5:55 PM

ddrintn on January 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 5:54 PM

And I explained how.Give me the number breakdown on the base turnout for McCain vs that for Romney. Got some?

ddrintn on January 2, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I want Sarah Palin, a true conservative!

purgatory on January 2, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Be careful, the Romneybots don’t like her name even brought up

KBird on January 2, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Can’t quite get that taste out of my mouth from last night…

… and my a%% is pretty sore, too.

You all realize how completely out of control this is, don’t you?

Seven Percent Solution on January 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM

You all realize how completely out of control this is, don’t you?

Seven Percent Solution on January 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Nope, they don’t. The threads are full of used car dealers.

Limerick on January 2, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Aside from being the most qualified candidate for the job- evah –\

FlaMurph on January 2, 2013 at 5:46 PM

ddrintn on January 2, 2013 at 5:54 PM

I’m curious though. What made Romney the most qualified EVAH? His wealth? His stellar government record? What?

ddrintn on January 2, 2013 at 6:00 PM

KingGold on January 2, 2013 at 5:55 PM

What are you talking about?

portlandon on January 2, 2013 at 6:00 PM

KingGold on January 2, 2013 at 5:55 PM

What are you talking about?

portlandon on January 2, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Ya silly. Don’tcha know? The “conservative media” never ever ever pimped Romney. People just realized he was “the most qualified evah” or something.

ddrintn on January 2, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I’m not going to listen to that pompous blow hard, he’s just another arrogant jacka$$, just like the president.

scalleywag on January 2, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Adjusted for the population Romney got fewer votes than McCain.

sharrukin on January 2, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Be careful, the Romneybots don’t like her name even brought up

KBird on January 2, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Well in that case…

Unhappy conservatives want Palin as House GOP speaker

idesign on January 2, 2013 at 6:04 PM

, even though the media despised him.

FlaMurph on January 2, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Yeah, they were always sooooooo much easier on Newt and Perry, weren’t they? Romney was always treated with kid gloves up until he clinched the nomination. He was the very guy “the media” wanted.

ddrintn on January 2, 2013 at 6:05 PM

ddrintn on January 2, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I don’t right now, but will look. Just to be clear, your position is that “outperforming” means turning out the base even if you win FEWER electoral votes, FEWER votes cast, FEWER states, and a LOWER PERCENTAGE than someone, who doesn’t “turn out the base”? Is that it?

Okey-dokey.

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Adjusted for the population Romney got fewer votes than McCain.

sharrukin on January 2, 2013 at 6:03 PM

The numbers aren’t even relevant. Give McCain/Palin the advantages that Super Electable Mitt had, and the outcome might have been different. Obama had a record, and a miserable one at that; the media never put Romney/Ryan through the Palinization meatgrinder; RR was rolling in cash, not publicly financed; there was no Lehman Brothers/ economic “collapse” or McCain campaign bungling of same; there was no Bush fatigue.

ddrintn on January 2, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Be careful, the Romneybots don’t like her name even brought up

KBird on January 2, 2013 at 5:57 PM

They recoil from her, hissing and spitting, like vampires from an outthrust crucifix… and for much the same reason. ;)

Kent18 on January 2, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Adjusted for the population Romney got fewer votes than McCain.

sharrukin on January 2, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Adjusted for the population, Obama got fewer votes than he did in 2008. /

Did McCain win more EVs, which is how the office is actually won, than Romney?

Did he win more states than Romney?

Did he lose by less than Romney?

’nuff said.

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Okey-dokey.

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:07 PM

If you’re goin g to say that the 2008 election was the same as the one in 2012. But of course you were one of those geniuses who assured us 2012 was going to be a replica of 2010, weren’t you? Okey dokey.

ddrintn on January 2, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Can’t quite get that taste out of my mouth from last night…

… and my a%% is pretty sore, too.

You all realize how completely out of control this is, don’t you?

Seven Percent Solution on January 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Ah, but it’s just starting. There’s still another four years of this coming.

Loin your girds.

kim roy on January 2, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Adjusted for the population, Obama got fewer votes than he did in 2008. /

Did McCain win more EVs, which is how the office is actually won, than Romney?

Did he win more states than Romney?

Did he lose by less than Romney?

’nuff said.

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:09 PM

But Romney LOST to THE WORST PRESIDENT EVAH.

’nuff said.

ddrintn on January 2, 2013 at 6:11 PM

ddrintn on January 2, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I know, they just want to blow some smoke and evade blame for the Romney disaster.

I do think there was still some lingering Bush fatigue in 2012 though.

sharrukin on January 2, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:09 PM

And with all the advantages Romney had, he won 2 states more than McCain. That’s “underperforming”.

ddrintn on January 2, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Christ Christie and NE republicans are just Country Club Democrats.

I wish we could purge them ALL.

PappyD61 on January 2, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Here comes the next one:

libfreeordie on January 2, 2013 at 5:09 PM

So what Easter eggs did the Democrats hide in this bill? Food stamps for pimps and wife beaters?

Gelsomina on January 2, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Adjusted for the population, Obama got fewer votes than he did in 2008. /

And Romney still couldn’t win.

’nuff said.

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Romney lost and he did worse than McCain in pure vote numbers given the population. How the EV came down state by state, doesn’t alter that.

He was one of the worst candidates ever run by the GOP.

sharrukin on January 2, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Way to go..wow, useful twist on the subject, let’s compare two losers and find the winner!

Limerick on January 2, 2013 at 6:15 PM

ddrintn on January 2, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Give it up. Geez.

About 95% of us didn’t want him. Don’t you remember the primary wars where it was nasty?

We supported other people, but somewhere along the lines whether it be our own version of the low information voter, democrats voting in our primaries, Romneybots, the media, whatever. He won the primary and then lost the election.

It happened. Now we have to work on what we do now. There’s no point in beating this horse into a wet spot, which is what is happening.

No one should feel bad about choosing Romney over Obama once the primary was over. Maybe not happy, but there’s no shame in wanting to see the back of Obama’s head getting smaller in the distance.

kim roy on January 2, 2013 at 6:16 PM

And with all the advantages Romney had, he won 2 states more than McCain.

ddrintn on January 2, 2013 at 6:13 PM

… but, sadly neither one of his own — Michigan (birth state) nor Massachusetts (last state in which he governed) — something which legitimately E!L!E!C!T!A!B!L!E!!!OMG11!!!!! candidates routinely manage to do. ;)

Kent18 on January 2, 2013 at 6:18 PM

PALIN?

Hahahahahaha, too funny.

First off she wouldn’t take the job.

Secondly they would have her run out of town in no time.

Thirdly, she passed on defeating this disaster in the White House in 2012.

Not going to happen.

PappyD61 on January 2, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Re Peter King’s comment that the Sandy relief bill contained no pork –I believe this bill came from the Senate w/$60 billion cost. What Boehner did was to divide the Sandy relief from the pork and plan two separate votes.

The relief bill ($27 billion) came out of appropriations on Tuesday and there was going to be a vote on it alone and then a later vote on the pork ($33 billion). This, I think, is what King was referring to.
In the end Boehner and/or Cantor pulled the vote on Tuesday because the Republicans had just voted for a bill with NO SPENDING CUTS but PLENTY TAX HIKES and they were not in the mood to vote for more spending.

str8tface on January 2, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Limerick on January 2, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I am just sayin’ that Gimpy did better than Halfwit. /

sharrukin on January 2, 2013 at 6:20 PM

TKindred on January 2, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Tempted myself – BUT from what I’ve heard from unaffiliated voters I know, they got twice as many political robo calls as I got. The constant calls (5 to 10 every day) over the campaign season were bad enough from the Repubs, but I REALLY don’t want robo calls from the Dems added to it. That’s the only thing keeping me from changing.

dentarthurdent on January 2, 2013 at 6:23 PM

The bottom line is THIS: It is a convenient crutch to claim that McCain “outperformed” McCain. He DID NOT. Should the GOP have been able to absolutely destroy the worst president in history? Yes. Was Romney the man to do it? No. I didn’t choose him. You guys did. I told you that I would vote for whomever the Republican Party nominated SOLELY BECAUSE I WANTED OBAMA DEFEATED.

Now, if you want to live in some faerie tale world of “Predictable History, Unpredictable Past,” which is soooooo very leftist by the way, then go ahead. The fact that you people are still fighting the 2008 election and 2012 primaries should tell you something. You nominated two dogs. Neither beat Obama and claiming that one had fewer fleas than the other, especially when that is untrue, is just beyond incomprehensible to the rest of us who have MOVED ON TO MORE IMPORTANT THINGS LIKE WHAT IS GOING ON TODAY.

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Mittbot cultists are like Obot cultists.

SparkPlug on January 2, 2013 at 6:25 PM

It is a convenient crutch to claim that McCain “outperformed” McCain.

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Do what, now…? ;)

Kent18 on January 2, 2013 at 6:26 PM

King says no earmarks/pork in the bill that everyone knows has earmarks/pork in it – so he’s a lying sack of sh1t as well as a flipflopping political hack of a drama queen.

Midas on January 2, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Romney underperformed Romney.

SparkPlug on January 2, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Do what, now…? ;)

Kent18 on January 2, 2013 at 6:26 PM

LOL! Sorry. I meant “It is a convenient crutch to claim that McCain ‘outperformed’ Romney.” It’s revisionist history and completely irrelevant. Both of them needed HeartGuard, not the nomination.

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM

str8tface on January 2, 2013 at 6:19 PM

The idiot Repubs in charge apparently learned nothing from the Reagan era – when the Dems who controlled Congress promised spending cuts to be voted on AFTER they voted on the other stuff – but the spending cuts never happened. Reagan fell for that 30 years ago, and the current crop of Repubs obviously didn’t learn anything.

dentarthurdent on January 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Romney underperformed Romney.

SparkPlug on January 2, 2013 at 6:27 PM

The timeless, elemental truth of a zen koan. ;)

Kent18 on January 2, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Romney underperformed Romney.

SparkPlug on January 2, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Is that even possible? lmao

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM

The sad truth is they both underperformed each other – and themselves…..

dentarthurdent on January 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM

The bottom line is THIS: It is a convenient crutch to claim that McCain “outperformed” McCain [Romney]. He DID NOT.

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Yes he did, unless you are going to argue that Romney (60.9 million) did better with votes than Reagans vote total, who only got 54.5 million?

sharrukin on January 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM

LOL! Sorry.

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I knew what you meant. I was just playin’. ;)

Kent18 on January 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I used to like __________ but in the final analysis he was just a rino.

SparkPlug on January 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Mittbot cultists are like Obot cultists.

SparkPlug on January 2, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Dude, you KNOW that I’m not Mittbot cultist. He was the first GOP candidate that I savaged in my “Know Your Candidate” series on my blog.

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I used to like __________ but in the final analysis he was just a rino.

SparkPlug on January 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM
all of the above

dentarthurdent on January 2, 2013 at 6:32 PM

sharrukin on January 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM

That proves that Romney outperformed Reagan and Abraham Lincoln.

/Mittbot

SparkPlug on January 2, 2013 at 6:32 PM

That proves that Romney outperformed Reagan and Abraham Lincoln.

/Mittbot

SparkPlug on January 2, 2013 at 6:32 PM

And Jefferson… and Madison. Romney’s just that amazing!

sharrukin on January 2, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I didn’t mean to say you are a cultist. (:

SparkPlug on January 2, 2013 at 6:35 PM

sharrukin on January 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM

No, I will argue that Reagan’s 489/44 EV and 44 state victory in 1980 and his 525/13 and 49 state victory in 1984 has smoked everyone since and probably won’t be repeated in my lifetime, if ever.

As for Romney and McCain, in the only way that it counts – the electoral college, the former outperformed the latter. Period. Story. End of.

I knew what you meant. I was just playin’. ;)

Kent18 on January 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I know. ~~wink, wink~~

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:36 PM

That proves that Romney outperformed Reagan and Abraham Lincoln.

/Mittbot

SparkPlug on January 2, 2013 at 6:32 PM

And Jefferson… and Madison. Romney’s just that amazing!

sharrukin on January 2, 2013 at 6:34 PM

… plus: I understand he fights crime at night, dressed up like a giant flying rodent. ;)

Kent18 on January 2, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:31 PM

For me, the Repub primary was like making a choice for the veggie side dish on a menu – and my choices are – broccoli, cauliflower, or asparagus – or we’ll just give you a side of sawdust mixed with cowsh!t (the Dem).
OK – that’s it? Those are my choices? I don’t like any of those, so I guess I’ll take the broccoli instead of the cowsh!t sawdust……

dentarthurdent on January 2, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Romney got a larger percentage of the black vote than Thomas Jefferson. Plus he did better with women too.

SparkPlug on January 2, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Romney lost the electoral college. Obama won.

sharrukin on January 2, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Romney got more California votes than John Adams.

SparkPlug on January 2, 2013 at 6:41 PM

SparkPlug on January 2, 2013 at 6:39 PM

It was Mitt Romney who first taught a young Helen Keller how to say “waa-waa.”

Oh, it’s true. ;)

Kent18 on January 2, 2013 at 6:41 PM

The sad truth is they both underperformed each other – and themselves…..

dentarthurdent on January 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Half of me agrees with you. The other half says that they “performed” about as well as could be expected when one looks at their records.

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Kent18 on January 2, 2013 at 6:37 PM

The worst part is that some of the same folks will be back in 2016 telling everyone that Jeb Bush is the best we can hope for, and that Julian Castro fellow is the devil and the ‘lesser of two evils game’ marches ever onward.

sharrukin on January 2, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Romney got more California votes than John Adams.

SparkPlug on January 2, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Ya – but John Adams brewed some really good beer….

or was that his brother Sam?….

dentarthurdent on January 2, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Romney lost the electoral college. Obama won.

sharrukin on January 2, 2013 at 6:40 PM

That’s absolutely true, but then, please explain to me how McCain’s 173 EVs proves that he “outperformed” Romney’s 206 EVs?

I wasn’t the one that claimed McCain “outperformed” Romney, in the first place.

Math is hard.

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Now, if you want to live in some faerie tale world of “Predictable History, Unpredictable Past,” which is soooooo very leftist by the way, then go ahead. The fact that you people are still fighting the 2008 election and 2012 primaries should tell you something. You nominated two dogs..

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Us people might understand “your people” better if you used small words and Americanized spellings when splainin’ to us why we’re such dummies ;)

sauldalinsky on January 2, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I like Boehner, but we need a go for broke speaker. People want to be led. People liked Christie even before he started doing this New England stuff because he had vision and he didn’t roll over.

Speaker of the House right now is a thankless job because the GOP is trying to keep together a broken coalition that doesn’t visibly stand for anything. We keep trotting out half-wits instead of people who are both clearly reasonable and clearly pissed off. Imagine the Chris Christie of old going on the Sunday morning shows to explain why the negotiations aren’t going anywhere. He’d be armed with a dozen different statistics that establish the GOP has been more than reasonable, and then rip Obama a new one for failing to negotiate in good faith.

It bums me out to no end that Christie’s gone the direction he’s gone, but the reality is even the politicians we like are politicians. He can read the optics, Republicans are content to fight losing fights and couldn’t find a winning issue super glued to their behinds with both hands. We need a guy like Christie to lead the Republicans, but sadly the only guy I know like that is Christie, and he’s cast his lot with the Huntsmans and the other non-Republican Republicans.

galenrox on January 2, 2013 at 6:51 PM

sharrukin on January 2, 2013 at 6:43 PM

This place is going to be so absolutely packed to the rafters with noisily belligerent throngs of “Jebbie/Christie 2016… because: Most! Important! Election! EVAH!!!” zombies, three years from now, you will absolutely be struck BLIND from the sheer, unalloyed shock of it all.

Bookmark it.

Kent18 on January 2, 2013 at 6:51 PM

sauldalinsky on January 2, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I’ll try. :-)

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:51 PM

You are aware that Bush lost the popular vote in the 2000 election?

Bush won the election.
That doesn’t mean he outperformed Al Gore in votes.

Math is hard.

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I guess for some people it is.

sharrukin on January 2, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Bookmark it.

Kent18 on January 2, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I could have done without that image. You are absolutely right though. And only dirty, filthy, traitors who love communism will dare to whisper a word in criticism of them.

sharrukin on January 2, 2013 at 6:57 PM

You are aware that Bush lost the popular vote in the 2000 election?

Bush won the election. That doesn’t mean he outperformed Al Gore in votes.

He outperformed him in the only way that mattered: Electoral votes.

Math is hard.

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I guess for some people it is.

sharrukin on January 2, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Keep beating that McCain-Palin horse. I promise you that it won’t change the fact that it was a loser…just like Romney-Ryan.

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:58 PM

ddrintn

So, basically what you’re saying is if McCain/Palin wasn’t McCain/Palin, they would have done better, lol.

xblade on January 2, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I wasn’t the one jumping in trying to save McCain’s reputation, like you were with Romney. They are both worthless and for much the same reason.

sharrukin on January 2, 2013 at 7:04 PM

xblade on January 2, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Palin’s still standing, Romney not so much..:)

idesign on January 2, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Maverick McCain V. Pathetic Mittens

Future historians and biographers will be expending untold hours of boredom exploring these two non-entities.

McCain may have at least wanted to be President. He takes the nod.

wraithby on January 2, 2013 at 7:06 PM

sharrukin

Well, we could always sit home for a third election and let the dems win again. The greater of 2 evils has worked out well for the last 2 elections, so why not a 3rd? Maybe if we lose enough, victory will eventually be ours.

xblade on January 2, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I want Marsha Blackburn for speaker. She can actually SPEAK about the things I believe in. Paul Ryan, I want HIM. He can speak. Eric Cantor, I like him, and he can SPEAK too. Boehner is not for today, he is for another era, when the New York Times mattered to republicans.

Please vote for change, for a new face. Please. Please vote for a telegenic candidate.

Fleuries on January 2, 2013 at 7:13 PM

sharrukin on January 2, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I didn’t “jump in to save Romney’s reputation.” I am tired of hearing the whine about how “McCain outperformed Romney.” It is revisionist HISTORY.

If you think that I am some Mittbot, then you have never read what I’ve written either on my blog or here. Long ago, I told Republicans and conservatives – I’m neither – that I would vote for whomever the GOP nominated since it would be the only viable option for beating Obama. My intentions were made very clear then and during the general. I did not vote “for” Mitt Romney in November, I voted AGAINST Barack Obama. So, please save it with the attempt to try to turn me into some sort of Romney cultist.

From my blog dated 4 December 2011:

Mitt Romney: Flip-Flopping Away, Flip-Flopping Away. You Know The Weaker Your Foundation, The More You’ll Be Flip-Flopping Away.

There are more if that one is insufficient.

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Resist we Much, Romney outperformed McCain with veterans and the base.

It was early results that gave that WRONG impression.

take a look at the chart in the battleground states.

On the Best of Rush for New Years, he was repeating old data. The Nov. 6 results did not have the banked votes of the elderly republican base or the military. And the MSM is NOT going to correct it for you.

Fleuries on January 2, 2013 at 7:15 PM

TKindred on January 2, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I’m right there with you. Did the same.

tyketto on January 2, 2013 at 5:49 PM

In the middle now?

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on January 2, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I’ll try. :-)

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Good:) I mostly agree with you on Romney/McCain and was joking about the spellings, but you might want to give the phrase “you people” a miss as it has other connotations, about which you may have missed the memo (assuming you were born British or Canadian).

At hotair, we all wanted a conservative and did the best with Romney when he won the primary. In my opinion, we are let down by the Conservative media who are so shell-shocked by the liberal media bias that they don’t challenge moderate Republicans ever. This will be very relevant in in 2016 whoever the nominee is. The point is not to rehash past elections, but figure out how to get more conservatives in the future.

sauldalinsky on January 2, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Maybe if we lose enough, victory will eventually be ours.

xblade on January 2, 2013 at 7:10 PM

And the difference between winning and losing is what exactly? The second biggest spender in the Drunken Sailor Olympics was Bush.

A Pyrrhic victory is a victory with such a devastating cost that it carries the implication that another such victory will ultimately lead to defeat. Someone who wins a Pyrrhic victory has been victorious in some way; however, the heavy toll negates any sense of achievement or profit.

sharrukin on January 2, 2013 at 7:17 PM

wraithby on January 2, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Tru dat.

McCain may have at least wanted to be President. He takes the nod.

I don’t necessarily believe that Tagg story. Romney’s been running for POTUS for most of the time I’ve been here. It’s easy to say that you didn’t really want to go to the dance after you’ve bought the dress and your date has stood you up.

#SaveFacePalm

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 7:17 PM

sauldalinsky on January 2, 2013 at 7:16 PM

“You people” is my “Y’all.” Sorry if it offended. I realise that Romney was not the first choice (or even top 5 choice) of HA, except for Ed & AP (I think) and a few others. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the fall of 2011, I remember putting a post on my blog about the “Romney electability myth.”

I knew you were kidding about the spelling. :-)

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Actually, I think its called a difference of opinion. You think the vote count is meaningless as a comparison, and others do not.

sharrukin on January 2, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Resist we Much, Romney outperformed McCain with veterans and the base.

It was early results that gave that WRONG impression.

Fleuries on January 2, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I know.

“…did not have the banked votes of the elderly republican base or the military. And the MSM is NOT going to correct it for you.”

I am aware of the truth. I’m trying to impart it to those, who continue to claim that McCain “outperformed” Romney. Facts are stubborn things, as are some people. :-)

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Resist We Much on January 2, 2013 at 7:13 PM

There’s not a whole lot you can do about it. I was defending Palin wanting the primary to keep going hoping that someone else would shine and/or Romney would at least get his game going, got hammered for the effort and yet somehow I have become a “progressive” and “Mittbot”.

Boggles the mind. Welcome to the club.

kim roy on January 2, 2013 at 7:31 PM

If JB walks, who replaces him? It will not be someone who appears to be a conservative so what will really change?

CorporatePiggy on January 2, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Darn! I was hoping King would leave and take that blue-crap bloated Christie with him. Sorry I ever gave Christie the benefit of the doubt. Obamuh made the promises to those people and did absolutely NUTHIN’–he totally fumbled the football on it. Why wasn’t there a bill two months ago, oh wait, after Obamuh won himself the election he didn’t give anymore of a crap than he did when he made his promises. This is all on him and the Dembecile Harry Reidiculous-led Senate but far be it for the lying cheating scumplicit slimestream media to tell the truth about the pork-laden bill the dumbmass Senate passed.

stukinIL4now on January 2, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I heard Dennis Prager say something today that applies to these Sandy folks–victimhood is the most evil ideology in America today. “I had it tough, so I get to do whatever I want.” In this case, it’s, “My state had a hurricane, so I get all your money.”

Sad.