Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on January 1, 2013 by Allahpundit

House Speaker John A. Boehner kicked off the 112th Congress by saying Americans are ready for an adult conversation on spending and deficits.

Two years later, that broader conversation has yet to happen, either in the country or in the halls of Congress, where lawmakers were poised Monday to once again nibble at the deficit but shy away from fundamental reforms…

“Instead of having a president who runs around saying we’re going to stick it to rich people, what we really need are honest people to go around the country and say to people, ‘If you are working class or you are retired, the government is stealing from you,’” the Kentucky Republican said on the Senate floor. “Why do prices go up? Because we run a deficit up here giving you free stuff, we print up money to pay for it, and that steals value from what you have.”

***

The “fiscal cliff” is a massive failure of presidential leadership. The tedious and technical negotiations are but a subplot in a larger drama. Government can no longer fulfill all the promises it has made to various constituencies. Some promises will be reduced or disavowed. Which ones? Why? Only the president can pose these questions in a way that starts a national conversation over the choices to be made, but doing so requires the president to tell people things they don’t want to hear. That’s his job: to help Americans face unavoidable, if unpleasant, realities. Barack Obama has refused to play this role

Until Obama conspicuously and consistently acknowledges these realities in straightforward and unmistakable language — something he hasn’t done and shows no signs of doing — he cannot be said to be dealing honestly with the budget or with the American people. The main reason that we keep having these destructive and inconclusive budget confrontations is not simply that many Republicans have been intransigent on taxes. The larger cause is that Obama refuses to concede that Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are driving future spending and deficits. So when Republicans make concessions on taxes (as they have), they get little in return. Naturally, this poisons the negotiating climate…

Unfortunately, much of the media have accepted the Obama narrative that it’s only Republican rigidity that frustrates negotiations and leads to deadlock. This means, of course, that there’s even less incentive for Obama and congressional Democrats to engage in genuine bargaining.

***

[W]e have crossed the Rubicon of political reality. The president holds a cheerleading session to ridicule Congress, not one plan offered makes even the smallest dent in our economic disaster, cynical political ploys by Harry Reid torpedo possible agreements — all these petty politicians fiddle while America burns. And then, we’re supposed to believe that a last-second deal responsibly solves the problem from a bunch of bickerers who had months (years, really) to tackle the issue?

Our crisis is political, not economic. Politics is ultimately a moral exercise, no matter what it deals with. Leaders are stewards of our social patrimony. What we see in Washington today is not gridlock. It is collapse. It is the final triumph of political theater over political reality, of ignorance over reasoned governing, of self-interest over principle. A $12 trillion economy and 230-plus-year history can survive a great deal of abuse and neglect. But history proves no state is immune from the self-inflicted idiocy of its leaders or people. Just how long we will survive in this state is now a proposition fully engaged. It is the great social experiment of the 21st century.

***

None of the deals proposed to save us from falling off the mythical cliff would make even a tiny dent in our on-going trillion dollar deficits, which is what this exercise was supposed to be all about. The final battle has now been postponed until February or March, when we hit the debt ceiling.

Republicans hope to get spending cuts from the president in return for agreeing to an increase in the debt ceiling, and the president plans to force Republicans to accept tax increases so that in the absence of spending cuts the ceiling will not be pierced. All of which means a continuation of the uncertainty that has become part of the new normal, which has big business sitting on its piles of cash, and small businesses wondering whether they dare take on new employees. The private sector will have to overcome substantial political headwinds to produce a meaningful growth rate in 2013.

Of course, in the end the enemy is us: We elect and reelect the vast majority of those who are presiding over this policy mess. It is as if the Jets decide to keep the current coaching staff and player roster after their woeful performance this season; as if Wizards fans find ways to express overwhelming satisfaction with the current cast of characters that represent them at the Verizon Center; as if we come to agree with many Europeans who regard Jimmy Carter as the most distinguished former president, and demand his return to political life.

***

Ultimately, we should blame the American voters. The average Medicare couple pays $109,000 into the program and gets $343,000 in benefits out, according to the Urban Institute. This is $234,000 in free money. Many voters have decided they like spending a lot on themselves and pushing costs onto their children and grandchildren. They have decided they like borrowing up to $1 trillion a year for tax credits, disability payments, defense contracts and the rest. They have found that the original Keynesian rationale for these deficits provides a perfect cover for permanent deficit-living. They have made it clear that they will destroy any politician who tries to stop them from cost-shifting in this way.

Most members of Congress are responding efficiently to the popular will. A large number of reactionary Democrats reject any measure to touch Medicare or other entitlement programs. A large number of impotent Republicans talk about reducing the debt, but are incapable of forging a deal that balances tax increases with spending cuts.

The events of the past few weeks demonstrate that these political pressures overwhelm the few realists looking for a more ambitious bargain. The country either doesn’t know or doesn’t care about the burdens we are placing on our children. No coalition of leaders has successfully confronted the voters, and made them heedful of the ruin they are bringing upon the nation.

***

You can blame the spineless politicians all you like, and I will happily blame them right along with you. But the fact is, this giant pile of irresponsible debt is what this increasingly soulless and immoral country wants. The longer we do this, the more we are wrecking our children’s futures. And tra la la, nobody seems to care. We’re going to “get the millionaires who are doing pretty well to do a little more,” to use the Huckster in Chief’s well worn phrase, and meanwhile the do-nothings who contribute zero to our society get to keep sucking on the socialist teat. And this is what we want, as a country. This is what we voted for

Our children’s futures are wasting away in front of our eyes, and nobody gives a damn, as long as we can keep injecting those sweet, sweet government benefits into our bloodstream. Just close your eyes and feel the calm wash over you, and try not to think about the small child gasping for air at your feet.

Ahhhh. Doesn’t it feel good, folks?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 9

SparkPlug on January 1, 2013 at 9:18 PM

lol…

Look at you Columbo…that’s more detail than you can get in all of the MSM combined on the issue.

(pretty sure you just scooped cnn)

Tim_CA on January 1, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Same to you. Will I have a country to come home to?

JPeterman on January 1, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I get it …..but it really makes me sad .

Lucano on January 1, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I found this on the internet. Its by SWalker.

SparkPlug on January 1, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Who?

davidk on January 1, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Just some imbecile from California talking out his ass… Pay him no mind… o_O

SWalker on January 1, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Evenin’ folks!

All on a tear tonight eh?

Sparky as usual, your witty self…

SW with awesome music and articles…

RWM with her spitfire comebacks!…

Axe tellin’ it like it is…

Arny bein’ witty as ever…

Gotta luv you guys and gals…

Happy new year…

Someone always writes it better than I could so here goes:

In a nut shell…

Bring on the Pistol Shrimps!!

I want my Earl Grey :-)

Scrumpy on January 1, 2013 at 9:25 PM

davidk on January 1, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Doriangrey1 is SWalker. I think. He’s a Rock Star blogger I think.

SparkPlug on January 1, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Bring on the Pistol Shrimps!!

I want my Earl Grey :-)

Scrumpy on January 1, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Damn straight Scrumpy.

SparkPlug on January 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM

davidk on January 1, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Doriangrey1 is SWalker. I think. He’s a Rock Star blogger I think.

SparkPlug on January 1, 2013 at 9:26 PM

He’s just some poseur cowardly imbecile from California, ignore him and maybe he’ll go away… o_O

SWalker on January 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM

BOOM! BOOM!- Out go the lights!

Scotsman on January 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Always has been one of my favorite songs… Now it takes on a very strange feel and meaning. (Don’t Fear) The Reaper

SWalker on January 1, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Good song. From last night, does your neighbor have a tank that can move or just lawn art? Loved the 105mm round at midnight story.

arnold ziffel on January 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I honestly don’t know. I hope so, but I wouldn’t place money on it.

Or I should say you will, but not one in which you will be happy or want to be in.

kim roy on January 1, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Well, Prague can be quite nice in the springtime.

JPeterman on January 1, 2013 at 9:28 PM

In a nut shell…

Bring on the Pistol Shrimps!!

I want my Earl Grey :-)

Scrumpy on January 1, 2013 at 9:25 PM

We’re fresh out of Earl Grey. How about some Grey Poupon?

Steve Eggleston on January 1, 2013 at 9:28 PM

He’s a Rock Star blogger I think.

SparkPlug on January 1, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Way easier on the body than being a rock star logger, btw.

Tim_CA on January 1, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Traveling abroad causes blood clots.

SparkPlug on January 1, 2013 at 9:31 PM

The Thug looks like a child or the Child is a thug, or whatever.

Boehner must go and so does the entire House. All must be thrown out. May Peloso end up in a creche, soon. Boehner can change her Depends.

Schadenfreude on January 1, 2013 at 9:31 PM

HEY!!

I think Obama should so some more BLAMING and BULLYING – and Let The Press Join Him!! They’ll LOVE it!!

Obama should appear on a Stage – Naked except for Wing-Tip Shoes, Silk Stockings and Sock Garters….

He should Run Up and Down The Stage, kicking his knees up high as he does it, bellowing guttural sounds like: “GAH-GAH-GAH-GAH-GAH-GAH-GAH-GAH-GAH-GAH!!!!!!!!!” and waving something in front of him. slamming it back and forth on side-by-side tables as he RUNS THROUGH THEM, BELLOWING WITH JOY!!

The Media can film him – and themselves watching with trembling, Wild-Eyed Infatuation as they salivate in Ecstasy!!

williamg on January 1, 2013 at 9:31 PM

SparkPlug on January 1, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Even for an ol’ gals eyes, he is easy to look at! ;-)

Steve: I don’t want mustard!! Lmao… only on ham n rye ;-)

Scrumpy on January 1, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Minor point of order – the 2012 version of the Alternate Fiscal Scenario is no longer valid, though much of it (full Bush tax rates for those under $200K, Bush+various tax increases below the Clinton level for those under $400K, “permanent” AMT patch, a 1-year Medicare Doc “Fix”, 1-year extension of 99-week funemployment, 5-year extension of Obama’s low-end tax credits) will soon be “current law”.

Steve Eggleston on January 1, 2013 at 9:20 PM

True. I believe that was FY2011, but it gives everyone an idea of the true state of things. It is my belief that we really need to start being brutally honest and put the paddles of truth to the chests of the Americans that can still be made to understand that “My Progressive Little Ponyland” is not only a faerie tale, but a guaranteed nightmare. I realise that there are not many left, but there have to be some middle class Americans, who voted for Obama, that would like to leave their children a better country than they themselves inherited. I know — it’s “hope” that some can be “change(d).”

Resist We Much on January 1, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I want my Earl Grey :-)

Scrumpy on January 1, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Scrumpy! Happy Happy.
Where you been, how’s the beagle doin?

arnold ziffel on January 1, 2013 at 9:31 PM

SWalker on January 1, 2013 at 9:13 PM

arnold ziffel on January 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM

It’s fully mobile, though it’s been awhile since I have driven by and seen him out tearing up his 10 acre side yard with it, still see it in different spots around his property sometimes, most I only see it in his Barn these days. I was actually kind of surprised when he fired it off last night, he’s been doing that for at least the last 10 years, but my understanding is that those 105mm parade round are damned expensive, over $100.00 a round.

SWalker on January 1, 2013 at 9:32 PM

*HEY!!

I think Obama should DO some more BLAMING and BULLYING – and Let The Press Join Him!! They’ll LOVE it!!

williamg on January 1, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Ahhhh. Doesn’t it feel good, folks?

God damn Obama, Boehner, Pelosi, Reid and most all in the Senate and the House, and their, and you and yours who brung them.

YOU destroy the children.

Schadenfreude on January 1, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Just some imbecile from California talking out his ass… Pay him no mind… o_O

SWalker on January 1, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I try not to. But, lordy, that guy’s good.

davidk on January 1, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Vote Cowbell/Official Monster Raving Loony Party 2016

Tim_CA on January 1, 2013 at 9:18 PM

lol

Resist We Much on January 1, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Scrumpy! Happy Happy.
Where you been, how’s the beagle doin?

arnold ziffel on January 1, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Now I’m going to cry. I let the Scrumpster tell the story, I pray she gets a puppy she can love forever.

SparkPlug on January 1, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I have lost all faith in the american political system, it’s a laugh.

WTF happened?

How can we allow this this this poseur to go on calling all the damn shots eh?

Makes me sick all the slick behind the doors whispering going on that is damn well tearing this country apart…

The FOAD media… well they can just FOAD!!!!

Words are like water running off a ducks back… don’t mean a damn thing any more…

DC can GTH!!

Rant off…

Scrumpy on January 1, 2013 at 9:35 PM

SparkPlug on January 1, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I missed something. It doesn’t sound good…bummer.

cozmo on January 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM

SparkPlug on January 1, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I think arnold said the wrong thing. :(

arnold ziffel on January 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM

we need someone who will speak in palin english.

renalin on January 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Resist We Much on January 1, 2013 at 9:33 PM

LOL…I’m in!

Makes more sense than anything coming out of the RNC.

Now Bring on da cowbell and let’s start building stocks!

(explore the room with the cowbell)

Tim_CA on January 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Thank you sparky.

Arnie, on the worst day of weather in OK I took Sam I Am out for a walk, his leash got wrapped around a pole, and he panicked… slipped his collar and I haven’t seen him since :…-(…

I have been beside myself for days…

I just pray someone nice like me took him in, as I did…

That was some dog… :-)

I shall get me a young’un and raise it up…

Scrumpy on January 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM

The house voted to freeze federal wages effectively overturning Obama’s EO giving raises.

This could go on forever.

davidk on January 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Obama eats puppies

Slade73 on January 1, 2013 at 9:39 PM

arnold ziffel on January 1, 2013 at 9:31 PM

BTW I love Ren and Stimpy!!!

Scrumpy on January 1, 2013 at 9:39 PM

we need someone who will speak in palin english.

renalin on January 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Resist We Much is right here.

Schadenfreude on January 1, 2013 at 9:40 PM

arnold ziffel on January 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Well you had good intentions but somehow poochy escaped and when I found out I got sick to my stomach cause the Scrumpster was so happy to have the little guy. Anyway I’m trying to tell her to get her own poochy since she would be the best person to have one.

We love Scrumpy.

SparkPlug on January 1, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Obama eats puppies

Slade73 on January 1, 2013 at 9:39 PM

you DO know how to make an entrance, I’ll give ya that…lol.

Tim_CA on January 1, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I think arnold said the wrong thing. :(

arnold ziffel on January 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Arnold’s all right. :)

Axe on January 1, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I have a few things to tend to folks, I’ll be back in a while…

**poof**

Scrumpy on January 1, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Substitute “Obama” each time the words “The Pusher” appear in the Lyrics….it’s the right number of syllables.

CONTENT WARNING!!

williamg on January 1, 2013 at 9:41 PM

we need someone who will speak in palin english.

renalin on January 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM

True dat.

Mirimichi on January 1, 2013 at 9:42 PM

we need someone who will speak in palin english.

renalin on January 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Sorry, I thought you said “plain English”.

Schadenfreude on January 1, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I shall get me a young’un and raise it up…

Scrumpy on January 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I may have just what you are looking for. If you click on my username that takes you to Twitter, I have a picture of the Beast that my PaPa found. An English bulldog.

JPeterman on January 1, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Axe on January 1, 2013 at 9:41 PM

The tingly nipple girl was here yesterday.

SparkPlug on January 1, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Tim_CA on January 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Make sure that you look at the past proposals, too. The link is at the bottom. Congress spends its time naming post offices. What we really need are “forward-thinking” laws like:

All socks to be sold in packs of 3 as a precaution against losing one.

lol

Resist We Much on January 1, 2013 at 9:44 PM

we need someone who will speak in palin english.

renalin on January 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Resist We Much is right here.

Schadenfreude on January 1, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I still think the problem is worse than that. It isn’t messaging. You can walk up to someone and tell them the truth, but you can’t make them pull their fingers from their ears and stop say la, la, la while you are talking.

This is a blindness caused by tightly squeezed eyes.

(Stipulating that many disagree and think the message isn’t being sold.)

Axe on January 1, 2013 at 9:45 PM

All politicians should paint them self’s permantly head to toe in the colour of the party they represent – e.g. all Labour candidates in Red, all Conservatives in Blue, etc,etc

Leave it to the Brits to get it backwards.

davidk on January 1, 2013 at 9:46 PM

The tingly nipple girl was here yesterday.

SparkPlug on January 1, 2013 at 9:44 PM

I saw. :)

Axe on January 1, 2013 at 9:46 PM

SparkPlug on January 1, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Friendly note – it’s time to let that rot in the archives.

Schadenfreude on January 1, 2013 at 9:46 PM

this is funny

@michellermalkin

Dreier advocated for gun control, amnesty, “compromise” & “climate change” action in final speech. Surprised Pelosi didn’t French kiss him.

well…funny in a left-wing Republican way….but, why not come out and proud and say I’m a leftist? Why be a Republican?

r keller on January 1, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Obama eats puppies

Slade73 on January 1, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Man-Child Eats Dog

Resist We Much on January 1, 2013 at 9:46 PM

May he fall into a Turkish latrine and may the rats eat him.

Schadenfreude on January 1, 2013 at 9:47 PM

JP: I clicked but do not see a dog pic!

An english bulldog would be grand!!

**poof**

Scrumpy on January 1, 2013 at 9:49 PM

House votes to freeze congressional, federal worker pay, and to overturn Obama’s EO raising pay.

Despite Democratic objections, the bill passed 287 to 129, with 55 Democrats voting with Republicans to approve the measure.

Resist We Much on January 1, 2013 at 9:51 PM

The greatest thing about the IPad is that you don’t have to carry around a keyboard.

The worst thing about the iPad is that without a keyboard you can’t type worth a damn.

SparkPlug on January 1, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Traveling abroad causes blood clots.

SparkPlug on January 1, 2013 at 9:31 PM

No, a broad travelling gets bloodclots.

Lanceman on January 1, 2013 at 9:54 PM

And I’ll Hi Scrumpy you!

Lanceman on January 1, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Do they have rifle shrimp?

Lanceman on January 1, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Lanceman on January 1, 2013 at 9:54 PM

ROTF. crack me up.

SparkPlug on January 1, 2013 at 9:55 PM

*ing, etc.

I apologize. I may actually need some sort of stimulant.

Axe on January 1, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Do they have rifle shrimp?

Lanceman on January 1, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Not anymore. The bazooka shrimp blasted them into oblivion.

SparkPlug on January 1, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Hi Lanceman!! How goes things?

Scrumpy on January 1, 2013 at 9:57 PM

In the Senate bill:

The mix of tax perks covering the next year, but with budget implications for the next two years includes everything from incentives for employers to hire veterans to incentives for employers to invest in mine safety. But it also includes these:

$430 million for Hollywood through “special expensing rules” to encourage TV and film production in the United States. Producers can expense up to $15 million of costs for their projects.

$331 million for railroads by allowing short-line and regional operators to claim a tax credit up to 50 percent of the cost to maintain tracks that they own or lease.

$222 million for Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands through returned excise taxes collected by the federal government on rum produced in the islands and imported to the mainland.

$70 million for NASCAR by extending a “7-year cost recovery period for certain motorsports racing track facilities.”

$59 million for algae growers through tax credits to encourage production of “cellulosic biofuel” at up to $1.01 per gallon.

$4 million for electric motorcycle makers by expanding an existing green-energy tax credit for buyers of plug-in vehicles to include electric motorbikes.

davidk on January 1, 2013 at 9:58 PM

you DO know how to make an entrance, I’ll give ya that…lol.

Tim_CA on January 1, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Slade73 on January 1, 2013 at 9:58 PM

They just started debating Biden and McConnells treasonous crap sandwich, The Marxist infiltrators in the GOP are pouring it on trying to convince everyone that this treasonous crap sandwich is really the worlds finest Ham on Rye.

May Michigan’s GOP representatives (and anyone else voting for this crap sandwich) find themselves in a horrible fiery car crash, then survive a full year of unendurable agony in a burn ward before finally succumbing to septicemia and waking up in hell.

SWalker on January 1, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Do they have rifle shrimp?

Lanceman on January 1, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Not anymore. The bazooka shrimp blasted them into oblivion.

SparkPlug on January 1, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Damned neo-cons and your seafood-arms-race.

Tim_CA on January 1, 2013 at 9:59 PM

An english bulldog would be grand!!

**poof**

Scrumpy on January 1, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Try it now, I rearranged some things.

JPeterman on January 1, 2013 at 9:59 PM

The headline over at HuffPo is, “Take Your Medicine”. The libs are on an incredible, vengeful high. Next up, gun control.

claudius on January 1, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Scrumpy on January 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I am very sorry, wanted to be happy with you tonight. Hope Sam is alright and maybe close enough that you can get him back.

arnold ziffel on January 1, 2013 at 10:00 PM

davidk on January 1, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Pork is the grease that makes DC go round.

Steve Eggleston on January 1, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Can’t wait to see Jackie in her new swank Tango outfit. She would look good even in a burlap sack.

Same with all the Patriot Gals.

SparkPlug on January 1, 2013 at 10:00 PM

The Economy & The Fiscal Cliff Live
Streaming Live

Pelosi on the Floor NOW!

canopfor on January 1, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Hi Lanceman!! How goes things?

Scrumpy on January 1, 2013 at 9:57 PM

About as well as can be expected, considering. But Steveegg is here and I ain’t never seen him at night afore.

Lanceman on January 1, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Ah yes. The Romney Wordsworth episode.

Maybe the Mitt Romney Wordsworth episode.

Lanceman on January 1, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Same with all the Patriot Gals.

SparkPlug on January 1, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Which is good since once the house caves and approves the Biden-McConnell crap sandwich it’s all any of us will be wearing.

SWalker on January 1, 2013 at 10:03 PM

SWalker on January 1, 2013 at 9:59 PM

I know what you mean but a tad bit strong eh?

arnold ziffel on January 1, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Thank you arnie.. stuff happens for a reason, and I had a fab 3 weeks with the pooch!!

Helped me out of a bad ‘spot’ he did, maybe he was an angel dog sent to cheer me and now he is with someone else who needs him :-)

Scrumpy on January 1, 2013 at 10:03 PM

canopfor on January 1, 2013 at 10:01 PM

just missed her

gosh I’m heartbroken :-(

Tim_CA on January 1, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away.
Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.
You better watch out,
there may be dogs about.
I’ve looked over Jordan and I have seen.
Things are not what they seem.

What do you get for pretending the danger’s not real?
Meek and obedient you follow the leader
down well trodden corridors, into the valley of steel.
What a surprise!
A look of terminal shock in your eyes.
Now things are really what they seem.
No, this is no bad dream.

Pink Floyd – Sheep.

Good luck and Happy New Year to all.

Roderick Spode on January 1, 2013 at 10:05 PM

davidk on January 1, 2013 at 9:58 PM

. . .

Axe on January 1, 2013 at 10:05 PM

why doesn’t Obama have a Hawaii SS#?

just sayin

Slade73 on January 1, 2013 at 10:06 PM

The Economy & The Fiscal Cliff Live
Streaming Live

canopfor on January 1, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Go to your local zoo and throw handfuls of grapes into the Howler Monkey exhibit, same effect.

Bishop on January 1, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Not anymore. The bazooka shrimp blasted them into oblivion.

SparkPlug on January 1, 2013 at 9:57 PM

And then the pistol shrimp snuck up behind them and put one behind their ear.

So now…it’s just pistol shrimp. Sneaky bastages!

Solaratov on January 1, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Roderick Spode on January 1, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Floyd knew it way back when didn’t they!!

Scrumpy on January 1, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Let the Great Hope that we’ll get spending cuts next time commence:

Now the fight moves to spending cuts.Rs have leverage of Continuing resolutions (since no senate budget) and debt ceiling.— Grover Norquist (@GroverNorquist) January 2, 2013

Who here thinks they’ll do better than the last time? Newsflash – what they did last time resulted in what happened last night and tonight.

Steve Eggleston on January 1, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I followed the link to the article on Obamacare taxes and found this, and I wonder if it is a new attack on Catholic hospitals.

Excise Tax on Charitable Hospitals (Took effect in 2010): $50,000 per hospital if they fail to meet new “community health assessment needs,” “financial assistance,” and “billing and collection” rules set by HHS.

Sounds like the subprime CRA rules. We know how that ends.

PattyJ on January 1, 2013 at 10:09 PM

SWalker on January 1, 2013 at 10:03 PM

lol, I poke in and out of here as I’m doing other tasks. I just read that once and then twice. As a pretty good cook, I just don’t think I would like their sammich.
In fact I’m still waiting to see if that steamer has a cherry on it.

arnold ziffel on January 1, 2013 at 10:09 PM

canopfor on January 1, 2013 at 10:01 PM

just missed her

gosh I’m heartbroken :-(

Tim_CA on January 1, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Tim_CA:Lol…ya…MUDASA the Snake!:)

canopfor on January 1, 2013 at 10:10 PM

@markknoller tweeted:

markknoller
Rep. Darrell Issa, R-CA, opposes ‘cliff’ bill. Says it adds $4-trillion in new debt and no method to pay for it.

15 mins ago from twitter.com by editor

canopfor on January 1, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Scrumpy on January 1, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Ya know that could be right. Even though I’m a sober rationalist who fancies himself as a debunker of dubious claims about Angel dogs, I believe in this case you have posited an absolutely remarkable hypothesis that cannot be refuted.

SparkPlug on January 1, 2013 at 10:12 PM

davidk on January 1, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Cash for Propaganda.

JPeterman on January 1, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Let the Great Hope that we’ll get spending cuts next time commence:

Steve Eggleston on January 1, 2013 at 10:08 PM

All right. That face-palmed my soul. :)

Going to go sharpen something and daydream about Resist’s legs. Not as incongruously as it may seem, I may pray.

Coffee.

See you guys in an hour or two.

Axe on January 1, 2013 at 10:14 PM

LoopyHoles??!!

Tuesday, January 1, 2013
Eight Corporate Subsidies in the Fiscal Cliff Bill, From Goldman Sachs to Disney to NASCAR
*************************

Matt Stoller is a fellow at the Roosevelt Institute. You can follow him at http://www.twitter.com/matthewstoller.

Throughout the months of November and December, a steady stream of corporate CEOs flowed in and out of the White House to discuss the impending fiscal cliff. Many of them, such as Lloyd Blankfein of Goldman Sachs, would then publicly come out and talk about how modest increases of tax rates on the wealthy were reasonable in order to deal with the deficit problem. What wasn’t mentioned is what these leaders wanted, which is what’s known as “tax extenders”, or roughly $205B of tax breaks for corporations. With such a banal name, and boring and difficult to read line items in the bill, few political operatives have bothered to pay attention to this part of the bill. But it is critical to understanding what is going on.

The negotiations over the fiscal cliff involve more than the Democrats, Republicans, the middle class and the wealthy. The corporate sector is here in force as well. One of the core shifts in the Reagan era was the convergence of wealthy individuals who wanted to pay less in taxes – many from the growing South – with corporations that wanted tax breaks. Previously, these groups fought over the pie, because the idea of endless deficits did not make sense. Once Reagan figured out how to finance yawning deficits, the GOP was able to wield the corporate sector and the new sun state wealthy into one force, epitomized today by Grover Norquist. What Obama is (sort of) trying to do is split this coalition, and the extenders are the carrot he’s dangling in front of the corporate sector to do it.

Most tax credits drop straight to the bottom line – it’s why companies like Enron considered its tax compliance section a “profit center”. A few hundred billion dollars of tax expenditures is a major carrot to offer. Surely, a modest hike in income taxes for people who make more than $400k in income and stupid enough not to take that money in capital gain would be worth trading off for the few hundred billion dollars in corporate pork. This is what the fiscal cliff is about – who gets the money. And by leaving out the corporate sector, nearly anyone who talks about this debate is leaving out a key negotiating partner.

So without further ado, here are eight corporate subsidies in the fiscal cliff bill that you haven’t heard of.

1) Help out NASCAR – Sec 312 extends the “seven year recovery period for motorsports entertainment complex property”, which is to say it allows anyone who builds a racetrack and associated facilities to get tax breaks on it. This one was projected to cost $43 million over two years.

2) A hundred million or so for Railroads – Sec. 306 provides tax credits to certain railroads for maintaining their tracks. It’s unclear why private businesses should be compensated for their costs of doing business. This is worth roughly $165 million a year.

3) Disney’s Gotta Eat – Sec. 317 is “Extension of special expensing rules for certain film and television productions”. It’s a relatively straightforward subsidy to Hollywood studios, and according to the Joint Tax Committee, was projected to cost $150m for 2010 and 2011.

4) Help a brother mining company out – Sec. 307 and Sec. 316 offer tax incentives for miners to buy safety equipment and train their employees on mine safety. Taxpayers shouldn’t have to bribe mining companies to not kill their workers.

5) Subsidies for Goldman Sachs Headquarters – Sec. 328 extends “tax exempt financing for York Liberty Zone,” which was a program to provide post-9/11 recovery funds. Rather than going to small businesses affected, however, this was, according to Bloomberg, “little more than a subsidy for fancy Manhattan apartments and office towers for Goldman Sachs and Bank of America Corp.” Michael Bloomberg himself actually thought the program was excessive, so that’s saying something. According to David Cay Johnston’s The Fine Print, Goldman got $1.6 billion in tax free financing for its new massive headquarters through Liberty Bonds.

6) $9B Off-shore financing loophole for banks – Sec. 322 is an “Extension of the Active Financing Exception to Subpart F.” Very few tax loopholes have a trade association, but this one does. This strangely worded provision basically allows American corporations such as banks and manufactures to engage in certain lending practices and not pay taxes on income earned from it. According to this Washington Post piece, supporters of the bill include GE, Caterpillar, and JP Morgan. Steve Elmendorf, super-lobbyist, has been paid $80,000 in 2012 alone to lobby on the “Active Financing Working Group.”

7) Tax credits for foreign subsidiaries – Sec. 323 is an extension of the “Look-through treatment of payments between related CFCs under foreign personal holding company income rules.” This gibberish sounding provision cost $1.5 billion from 2010 and 2011, and the US Chamber loves it. It’s a provision that allows US multinationals to not pay taxes on income earned by companies they own abroad.

8) Bonus Depreciation, R&D Tax Credit – These are well-known corporate boondoggles. The research tax credit was projected to cost $8B for 2010 and 2011, and the depreciation provisions were projected to cost about $110B for those two years, with some of that made up in later years.

Conveniently, the Joint Committee on Taxation in 2010 did an analysis of what many of these extenders cost. You can find that report here.

Enjoy!
Read more at http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2013/01/eight-corporate-subsidies-in-the-fiscal-cliff-bill-from-goldman-sachs-to-disney-to-nascar.html#pbBqjshrtib2FgPy.99

canopfor on January 1, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Resist We Much on January 1, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Yup. I am one of those obama voters you are speaking of. Unfortunately we do not believe your side wants to cut the deficit. We believe you are only using the deficit to scare middle class Americans into adopting a race to the bottom America. You are scaring middle class Americans into paying for all the endless tax cuts you so love to give your “job creators”.

If you phony deficit hawks who apparently are hawks only when a democrat is president want to reduce the deficit that bad, we support you go after the rich before coming after the entitlements we’ve worked all our lives to earn.. Period. If you do not like it, move to China where their so called middle class are working for $1 a day.

HotAirLib on January 1, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Howdy all…….. And Happy New Year…………;-)

angrymike on January 1, 2013 at 10:16 PM

canopfor on January 1, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Bishop on January 1, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Bishop:*Sigh*,correct you are,Happy New Year Bish:)

canopfor on January 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM

JPeterman on January 1, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Oh thanks!! He has one black eye!! he’s a cutie :-)

(BTW, for this ol’ gals eyes, you are too ;-)

Scrumpy on January 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM