Poll: 2012 OOTY Finals

posted at 8:01 am on December 31, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

We’ve finally narrowed down the hundreds of potential OOTY candidates to the final four.  Choose carefully from the finalists — you want to feel fine, like you’ve built the winner.  Don’t let it divide you or get surprised by the difficulty of the task.  The results will get tallied in secret, so be sure to check back in tomorrow to see which of these four will be the 2012 OOTY winner!

• “The private sector is doing fine
  • “Well, it turns out our Founders designed a system that makes it more difficult to bring about change that I would like sometimes.”
  • “If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.”
  • “I don’t think you or anybody who’s been watching the campaign would say that in any way we have tried to divide the country.”

Previous Obamateurisms of the Year:

• Giving 2 minutes of “shout-outs” before getting to the Fort Hood shooting (2009)
  • Obama leaves Clinton at press conference podium on tax deal to attend Christmas party (2010)
  • “I would put our legislative and foreign policy accomplishments in our first two years against any president— with the possible exceptions of Johnson, F.D.R., and Lincoln.” (2011)

For more on the history and end of the OOTDs, here’s my post from November 9th.

Comments

let’s call it a 4 way tie and be done.

hillsoftx on December 31, 2012 at 8:08 AM

I can’t choose they all deserve to win.

gophergirl on December 31, 2012 at 8:08 AM

“You didn’t build that.”

NOTHING sums up the philosophy of the Progressives (in both parties) better.

EVERYTHING comes from Government.

PappyD61 on December 31, 2012 at 8:08 AM

We built this city on Rock and Roll!

LtGenRob on December 31, 2012 at 8:08 AM

The winner will be revolutionary.

Nice touch to deny us a sneak peek in which one is leading.

Steve Eggleston on December 31, 2012 at 8:08 AM

You didn’t build that!

22044 on December 31, 2012 at 8:08 AM

You didn’t build that.

tom daschle concerned on December 31, 2012 at 8:10 AM

January 1……the 2nd Obama recession begins.

Own it noobs.

Obama pwned you.

PappyD61 on December 31, 2012 at 8:11 AM

We built this city on Rock and Roll!

LtGenRob on December 31, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Dear Leader says: “NO YOU DIDN’T!”

pilamaye on December 31, 2012 at 8:14 AM

“Proceed Governor.”

chumpThreads on December 31, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Still waiting for some bureaucrat to get up at 5AM so I don’t have to.

Jeddite on December 31, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Great link to describe the new tax yum mines that our rulers have waiting for us starting tomorrow.

Deeeeeeelish.

PappyD61 on December 31, 2012 at 8:19 AM

yummmmyness.

IPad auto-complete thingy.

:-)

Have a great 2013 HotAirians!!

PappyD61 on December 31, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Founding Fathers…

OmahaConservative on December 31, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Founding Fathers all the way.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2012 at 8:29 AM

I think “didn’t build it” will win but I went with “founding fathers.”

I think that it is more indicative of the root of Obama’s Liberalism and idiocy in that he has no concept of what a Republic is. And neither do the millions of his worshipers that believe that because they elected him, he should get what he wants.

If only we could educate the ignorant masses as to the dangers of Democracy.

BierManVA on December 31, 2012 at 8:30 AM

“The Private Sector is doing fine.”

If I post my address, will one of you please come to my house and shoot me in the back of the head? I’ll be happy to leave a permission slip for you to show to the judge.

Maddie on December 31, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I think the entire paragraph of the “you didn’t build that” idiocy should be the OOTY. As many have said on these pages before, it’s actually much worse in context.

inviolet on December 31, 2012 at 8:34 AM

let’s call it a 4 way tie and be done.

hillsoftx on December 31, 2012 at 8:08 AM

(Sigh). Agreed.

Maddie on December 31, 2012 at 8:38 AM

“You didn’t build that.”

I still cringe just reading those words.

Xyz22 on December 31, 2012 at 8:49 AM

inviolet on December 31, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

ShainS on December 31, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Still waiting for some bureaucrat Obama to get up at 5AM so I don’t have to 3AM to answer the phone.

Jeddite on December 31, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Fixed it for the HillBuzz crew …

ShainS on December 31, 2012 at 8:55 AM

The last one about supposedly not dividing the country stands above . . . or below the others. But yes, so much outrage to choose from.

BTW, I recommend Outrage of the Day contests for 2013. I’m sure Obama will supply many.

WannabeAnglican on December 31, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I went with Founding Fathers, but I think we all know what’s going to win.

BallisticBob on December 31, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I guess we have the next four years to see how close we can get to the Chinese form of government without actually changing our name to The Peoples Republic of USA.

Night Owl on December 31, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Have to go with Founding Fathers. It provides insight into the naivety and surprise by this so-called “Constitutional Lawyer/Scholar” and also… it give me hope.

NickelAndDime on December 31, 2012 at 9:16 AM

You didn’t build that. and no trolls, that’s not a mistranslation of what Owe said. Though the US Constitution preventing Owe from doing all the destruction he wishes is also a great one for the President of the USA to say. Imagine if any other president or politician had said that.

But in truth all these statements serve as a depressant that a politician could say and mean these and yet still get elected because free iPhones trump thinking.

katablog.com on December 31, 2012 at 9:17 AM

The “Obamateurism” of all time goes to those who stayed at home on election day and allowed this tyrant and his ilk to be elected and then re-elected. Have a very happy new year, fools.

Rixon on December 31, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Founding Fathers.

“the Constitution is a charter of negative liberties”

Dear Liar is not unAmerican, he is fundamentally anti-American. He does not believe in the ideals for which the Revolution was fought, instead he has a marxist world view.

rbj on December 31, 2012 at 9:22 AM

You didn’t build that.

VibrioCocci on December 31, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I think you started the list a little too early. Obama’s comment to Boehner, r.e. the fiscal cliff negotiations, when asked what he got for Boehner offering up $800 billion Obama said, “You get nothing, I get that for free.” hence why we’re where we are now.

If anyone actually believes Obama is capable of leading a national conversation on anything they’ve been drink way too much Kool-Aid and only watching the LSM.

bflat879 on December 31, 2012 at 9:26 AM

probably in the minority here but went….

“The private sector is doing fine“

DiabloAzure on December 31, 2012 at 9:26 AM

And so, after three years of having the Constitution chipped away at – it continues according to plan.

You won’t recognize America in three years. . . .

karra on December 31, 2012 at 9:26 AM

“you didn’t build that” is this years winner.To all of you d**kwads that stayed home and Obamaphone owners, enjoy 2013 you own it lock, stock and barrel.

jeffinsjvca on December 31, 2012 at 9:28 AM

You won’t recognize America in three years. . . .

karra on December 31, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I don’t recognize it now!

BierManVA on December 31, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I really wanted to say You didn’t build that but I went with divide the country.

I can’t remember any time when the country was more divided on race, gender, faith, rights, liberties, media, economic, or other lines. The country has been effectively balkanized – there are truly swathes of the country that do not recognize each other.

The latest sweep of gun control is paving the way towards confiscation. Prudent planning because someone somewhere realizes that if this continues, Rev. Wrights’ chickens may well come home to roost.

CorporatePiggy on December 31, 2012 at 9:32 AM

You didn’t build that, but Obama will gladly tear it down.

backwoods conservative on December 31, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Founding Fathers.

dddave on December 31, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Choices 2,3,4 indicate that he understands there is significant antipathy to the Grand MasterPlan.

The man is a totalitarian.

CorporatePiggy on December 31, 2012 at 9:40 AM

The criticism of the Founding Fathers, because they have prevented what he would call “fundamental transformation”.

OldEnglish on December 31, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Rixon on December 31, 2012 at 9:19 AM

+100 … These finalists all seem less satisfying after America foolishly re-elected this boob.

KS Rex on December 31, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Let’s go full tilt liberal, feel good, boost self esteem, and say they are all winners.

1. Private sector is dying under Obama
2. Wants to replace the wisdom of the Founders with his own
3. You didn’t build that — classic!
4. No one can say, in any way, that he’s tried to divide the country? As Romney said, he smashed it into pieces so he could cobble together what’s left into a 51% majority. That’s exactly what he did.

I have to go with 4. 3 is such a close second. 1 and 2 are both big-time boners too.

“4. I don’t think you or anybody who’s been watching the campaign would say that in any way we have tried to divide the country.”

ANYBODY watching the campaign?
Say that he in ANY way tried to divide the country?

He wants us to choke to death on our own incredulity?

Paul-Cincy on December 31, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Rixon on December 31, 2012 at 9:19 AM

They would simply say they are teaching America a lesson.

CorporatePiggy on December 31, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Founding Fathers

I would gladly give my life to have them come back from the dead and witness what has happened to our Country and to us the citizens of this once great Country, as long as they get the final say in these matters and the ability to right these wrongs. For my children and for everyones children/grandchildren and the future generations. For them I would gladly make this sacrifice.

D-fusit on December 31, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I voted for the “Founding Fathers” line but any of the four (along with some others) are revealing of Obama’s true beliefs.

As another so-called “constitutional law” professor is writing in the NYT that the Constitution should be scrapped, and as a socialist French government is dealing with a court verdict that points out lack of égalité in its plan to tax the wealthy, it saddens me how many of my fellow citizens don’t get the obvious signs, don’t care, or even welcome Obama’s moves to turn us completely into a European-style social democracy.

Drained Brain on December 31, 2012 at 10:12 AM

tough choices but I took #3 with my final vote.

ted c on December 31, 2012 at 10:12 AM

“I would put our legislative and foreign policy accomplishments in our first two years against any president— with the possible exceptions of Johnson, F.D.R., and Lincoln.” (2011)

“I would put our legislative and foreign policy accomplishments in our first two years against any president— with the possible exceptions of two who put us on the current path to economic oblivion and one who is responsible for the deaths of 500l Americas.” (2011)

A man is known by his heroes.

Akzed on December 31, 2012 at 10:15 AM

500k

Akzed on December 31, 2012 at 10:16 AM

“Founding Fathers.” Much the same way the MSM doesn’t think David Gregory should be prosecuted, liberals hate to be told, “No. The Constitution doesn’t let you do that.”

Liam on December 31, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Founding Fathers

I would gladly give my life

D-fusit on December 31, 2012 at 9:59 AM

When I was a kid Benjamin Franklin was my invisible friend, and I’d show him the world’s modern marvels.

Now, I’d like to show the Founding Fathers how the “promote the general welfare clause” has turned into “provide for the general welfare”. How the interstate commerce clause has turned into a catch-all for any regulation. How the establishment clause had turned into a marginalization of religion in our public life. How the vast majority of our taxes are paid not locally or even to our state but to the federal government. How we’re borrowing more than $1 trillion a year each year of Obama’s administration. Then wondering what they’d say.

I still go with #4. “You didn’t build that” already has enough currency.

Paul-Cincy on December 31, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Founding Fathers

D-fusit on December 31, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I have many times thought about having the Founding Fathers rise from the grave, and go into some major institution of higher-education (Ivy League?) and have a chat with the Profs.
Yup, … MANY TIMES . . . . . . . . .

listens2glenn on December 31, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Didn’t,

you didn’t

koaiko on December 31, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Founding fathers quote wins it for me, because there is NO way he didn’t know that going in (remember his video about the Constitution being a bunch of “negative rights”), and we have no excuse for being surprised that he is an enemy, and not a friend, of our Constitutional republic.

Some people get all hot about the “you didn’t build that” quote. That was a brief moment of honesty about who and what he is. But the founders quote makes it sound like he was shocked (shocked!) to learn how hard changing the Constitution from within is. If indeed he was surprised to learn this, he truly is a moron. But rather I believe he’s feigning ignorance and is merely trying to gin up an excuse to do something unconstitutional. He’s not a good liar, for all his practice.

bobcalco on December 31, 2012 at 10:46 AM

CorporatePiggy on December 31, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I think there have always been swaths that don’t recognize each other. But without Facepage, Mybutt and the Twits–not to mention the 24-hour media tools–it hasn’t been as obvious to everyone.

Nutstuyu on December 31, 2012 at 10:48 AM

This is like Sophie’s Choice. All four are show the true inner self of the small narcissistic man that has rode the shoulders of others with special treatment his entire life.

In the end “You didn’t build that.” shows the true nature of the beast the best. I bet he thinks he built a lot all by himself though.

jukin3 on December 31, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Dear Leader says: “NO YOU DIDN’T!”

pilamaye on December 31, 2012 at 8:14 AM

More like “no, you di’int!”

freedomfirst on December 31, 2012 at 11:03 AM

While “You didn’t build that” got the nations attention.

It doesn’t come close to summarizing Obama’s biggest opposition as this one does:
“Well, it turns out our Founders designed a system that makes it more difficult to bring about change that I would like sometimes.””

That opposition being the work of the Founders.

shick on December 31, 2012 at 11:05 AM

For them I would gladly make this sacrifice.

D-fusit on December 31, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Wow. Me too!

freedomfirst on December 31, 2012 at 11:09 AM

CorporatePiggy on December 31, 2012 at 9:32 AM

This is why I picked #4. Obama is the cheerleader for dividing people. From:

The New Racial Derangement Syndrome
Victor Davis Hanson
Dec 20, 2012

[...]

The president himself urged Latinos to “punish our enemies.” He weighed in unnecessarily during the Henry Louis Gates and Trayvon Martin affairs in ways that only added to the racial tensions. Vice President Joe Biden warned black voters at a campaign stop that Republicans were “going to put y’all back in chains.”

Obama, during the campaign, brilliantly — and cynically — targeted particular hyphenated voting groups on the basis of their race and ethnicity — on the assumption that such voters could be loosely united by opposition to a purported uncaring and shrinking conservative establishment. After the election, the Obama campaign asked its supporters to complete a survey that included a checklist with racial identifications — with white omitted.

There is a growing danger in this latest round of racial tribalism. Stirring up the pot for short-term political gain in a multiracial society is abjectly insane. If the new racialism grows unchecked, it will eventually lead to cycles of backlash and counter-backlash — and some day to something like the Balkans or Rwanda.

People are just people. But they can turn into veritable monsters when — as a great American once warned — they look to the color of our skin rather than the content of our character.

It’s got to be #4. Spread the word.

Paul-Cincy on December 31, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I think “didn’t build it” will win but I went with “founding fathers.”

I think that it is more indicative of the root of Obama’s Liberalism and idiocy in that he has no concept of what a Republic is. And neither do the millions of his worshippers that believe that because they elected him, he should get what he wants.

If only we could educate the ignorant masses as to the dangers of Democracy.

BierManVA on December 31, 2012 at 8:30 AM

I was thinking the same thing.

Kevin K. on December 31, 2012 at 11:28 AM

“You didn’t build that”. Quote of the decade. Almost as bad as Pelosi’s, “you have to pass the bill to see what it says”.

FireBlogger on December 31, 2012 at 11:31 AM

This one was tough.

Private Sector’s doing fine

or

You didn’t build that

After much consideration and the early burning of a dominican cigar..I’m voting:

You didn’t build that (as I sit in the workshop of the very home I extensively remodeled).

Bl*w me bammie.

Tim_CA on December 31, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I cast my vote, but I really think we should have a 4-way tie. Each one in it’s own right is deserving of the award. After all, as Forest Gump would say, stupid is as stupid does.

CHASB77 on December 31, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I went with “Founding Fathers” – I think it exemplifies his amatuerish-ness perfectly. But like I said before, resistance to “Build” is futile…lol

right of the dial on December 31, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Still waiting for some bureaucrat to get up at 5AM so I don’t have to.

Jeddite on December 31, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Amen. Do they wake up with their feet hitting the floor running, wondering how they’re going to make the payroll happen for their employees? Naw. Don’t think so.

Pazman on December 31, 2012 at 12:46 PM

We’re heading for a full blown depression and YES, Mr. Obama, you built that!

Rovin on December 31, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I voted for the founding fathers foible, but I am somewhat aggravated that nothing regarding Benghazi will be in this list of four. What a set of horrific bookends for his first term–those murdered at Fort Hood and those murdered at Benghazi, and his main job is to protect Americans. What an absolute failure.

jazzuscounty on December 31, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I had to go with dividing the Country which is the hallmark of this administration…

sandee on December 31, 2012 at 12:47 PM

The president is a rewarded idiotic thuggish fool of the world.

God to speak at 1:30.

God damn all the fools who brung him.

Schadenfreude on December 31, 2012 at 1:07 PM

and thank the Lord for that.

tencole on December 31, 2012 at 1:22 PM

It’s got to be #4. Spread the word.

Paul-Cincy on December 31, 2012 at 11:19 AM

You and VDH convinced me. I was leaning toward “you didn’t build that”… but Ogabe’s stoking of racial resentment and division is pure pyromania and could have the greatest long term negative impact on America if it leads to race riots and resentment from nonhypenated Americans.

It’s The Great Divider for OOTY.

sauldalinsky on December 31, 2012 at 1:30 PM

“If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.”

Definining. This sad and sorry excuse for a president has said a lot of amateurish things that he was not sorry he said. But this one defines his tenure in office. Years from now when historians dig up the ruins of our nation, this will be the defining quote of the worst president in our nation’s history.

I don’t know who to despise more…Obutthead or the brain dead dolts who elected him.

NOMOBO on December 31, 2012 at 3:30 PM