Open thread: Let’s celebrate New Year’s by giving up on the Constitution

posted at 8:31 pm on December 31, 2012 by Allahpundit

There may or may not be fiscal-cliff action tonight — a Senate vote of some sort is likely, a House vote is not — so here’s your thread for Congress-watching and/or holiday revelry. Either way, drinking is mandatory.

In lieu of a QOTD, let me leave you with an excerpt from the op-ed page of the liberal establishment’s flagship paper. 2012 was a banner year for them: The Supreme Court upheld ObamaCare and a younger, more diverse electorate delivered four more years to The One. The tectonic political realignment that they thought had happened four years ago might actually have happened this year. What’s left for a leftist to dream about after two victories as momentous as that? Jettisoning the final check on their power, I guess:

As the nation teeters at the edge of fiscal chaos, observers are reaching the conclusion that the American system of government is broken. But almost no one blames the culprit: our insistence on obedience to the Constitution, with all its archaic, idiosyncratic and downright evil provisions…

Our obsession with the Constitution has saddled us with a dysfunctional political system, kept us from debating the merits of divisive issues and inflamed our public discourse. Instead of arguing about what is to be done, we argue about what James Madison might have wanted done 225 years ago.

As someone who has taught constitutional law for almost 40 years, I am ashamed it took me so long to see how bizarre all this is. Imagine that after careful study a government official — say, the president or one of the party leaders in Congress — reaches a considered judgment that a particular course of action is best for the country. Suddenly, someone bursts into the room with new information: a group of white propertied men who have been dead for two centuries, knew nothing of our present situation, acted illegally under existing law and thought it was fine to own slaves might have disagreed with this course of action. Is it even remotely rational that the official should change his or her mind because of this divination?

And that, my friends, is how America is finally Perfected. Let a thousand Wilsonian flowers bloom.

Thanks to all of you for reading these past 12 months. See you next year!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 7 8 9

I’m in a lovely small resort town in Idaho.. Lived in five other states – east and west coasts – and another country before here.

I have a lib sib in NOLA. I have followed and enjoyed your posts for years. Ayn Rand spoke the truth, obviously. HTs to both your name and the principles you support.

Opinionator on January 1, 2013 at 4:50 AM

has anybody seen my pants…or or my right shoe?

Tim_CA on January 1, 2013 at 4:53 AM

C.E. MA! But you’re right. . . for now.

Opinionator on January 1, 2013 at 4:54 AM

C.E. MA! But you’re right. . . for now.

Opinionator on January 1, 2013 at 4:54 AM

Do I really need to explain MA, John?

And Tim, you won’t even need shoes in the new world O economy. You’ll be barefoot, just like that guy who took the boots from the kind officer and then booted them in NYC. So, no problem ;).

Opinionator on January 1, 2013 at 5:08 AM

Opinionator on January 1, 2013 at 4:50 AM

Thank YOU!. I quit paying $50k in taxes as a software engineer in NY to be a freaking truck driver paying $50/week and having fun. I guess that’s gonna be $55 or $60 next week, but Let’s Cliff Dive – LIB SID!!!!

Who is John Galt on January 1, 2013 at 5:25 AM

Who is John Galt on January 1, 2013 at 5:25 AM

So you got out and really are John Galt. Kudos!

Keep on truckin’. That may sound trite, but I mean it.

Your words re “WE are America on this board” sustained me tonight, coming into the new year. I have felt so bereft at what we face..

If we don’t find hope we will be O’s fodder as he endeavors to destroy us. Thanks for your strength and light!

Sleepy now. . . will hope to see you again soon.

G’night! And to all the unrespondedtos, too ;).

Opinionator on January 1, 2013 at 5:44 AM

P.S., John. Is LIB SID let it burn, shut it down? Something close?
Hahaha… ‘Night.

Opinionator on January 1, 2013 at 5:59 AM

B9

SparkPlug on January 1, 2013 at 6:04 AM

B9

SparkPlug on January 1, 2013 at 6:04 AM

*unpoof*

I swear. Wenches. Wenches will end us, my friend.

*repoof*

Axe on January 1, 2013 at 6:20 AM

Sounds good. But hold your son. Tomorrow he’ll be gone and the chores will still be there.

davidk on January 1, 2013 at 1:48 AM

If I do the chores every day, it takes less than an hour and the house looks awesome. He is getting to the point where he can help me a bit… then relax and read/play with him.

cptacek on January 1, 2013 at 2:14 AM

I’m an old and sentimental father, and at first I was leaning a bit more towards davidk’s comment. They do grow up terribly fast. But I think you’re on to something bigger, and maybe unintentionally.

Your son is learning every moment, and seeing you doing/cleaning is establishing and improving his tidiness, organizational skills, spatial abilities, etc. Not to mention he’ll impress more future wives later when he keeps a cleaner dorm room or apartment than his competition (we can argue good or bad about that part when the time comes). And you’ll be bragged on when he’s grown and talking about his early years and the good example you set.

Now let me ask you to add a tiny one more:

Go buy a $5 day planner with a few lines (not boxes) for writing down appointments each day. Keep it in the nightstand, and take thirty seconds each night to write down one or two sentences of what he did, said, made, etc. just before you turn out the lights. Give one or two word details or little sketches on things that need it to jog your memory later, but otherwise keep it short and simple. It makes it easier to maintain when it doesn’t seem like another chore.

I’m guessing he’s five or so, and it’s a wonderful time to start. You’ll smile when you look back at the end of this year and remember all of the things he’s done and progress he’s made. And trust me when I say that reading it ten years later is even better.

Happy New Year.

rogerb on January 1, 2013 at 6:20 AM

do we have the list of traitorous gope senators that voted for this calamity?

renalin on January 1, 2013 at 6:46 AM

According to this, the 8 who voted no are:

The eight who voted ‘nay’ are:
Bennet (D-CO)
Carper (D-DE)
Grassley (R-IA)
Harkin (D-IA)
Lee (R-UT)
Paul (R-KY)
Rubio (R-FL)
Shelby (R-AL)

esr1951 on January 1, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Senator Ron Johnson gave a good speech yesterday, but it looks like he still voted for the bill.

esr1951 on January 1, 2013 at 7:51 AM

esr1951 on January 1, 2013 at 7:50 AM

no lindsey “sunday talk show” graham? color me surprised.

renalin on January 1, 2013 at 7:52 AM

so i go to bed with an estate tax hike at 20% and wake up to an estate tax hike at 40%…is that right?

89 yeas….

hope the gop doesn’t vote for it lock stock and barrel…

cmsinaz on January 1, 2013 at 8:03 AM

HAPPY NEW YEAR HA Family!

cmsinaz on January 1, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Happy New Year to all at HotAir !
Thank you for your insight and the witty stuff
is second to none .
Hope everyone has a great year .
God bless .

Lucano on January 1, 2013 at 8:04 AM

how could demint have voted for this pile of crap.

heritage foundation….you suck.

renalin on January 1, 2013 at 8:05 AM

i was wrong…boehner is just going to let it come to a vote…

cmsinaz on January 1, 2013 at 8:06 AM

how could demint have voted for this pile of crap.

heritage foundation….you suck.

renalin on January 1, 2013 at 8:05 AM

DeMint did not vote at all this morning, joining Kirk and Lautenberg as non-voters.

Steve Eggleston on January 1, 2013 at 8:08 AM

dear leader bragging no negotiation on the debt ceiling…yeah, civility at its best…and they wonder why gop does not want to work with this idiot…

i guess joe biden will be the de facto president…

cmsinaz on January 1, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Steve Eggleston on January 1, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Thanks for clarifying this.

esr1951 on January 1, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Steve Eggleston on January 1, 2013 at 8:08 AM

thanks.

renalin on January 1, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Senate fiscal proposal: $620B in tax hikes, $15B in spending cuts

Read more: http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2013/01/01/senate-fiscal-proposal-620b-tax-hikes-15b-spending-cuts#ixzz2GjLSL44H

*shaking the head*
dear leader telling the house they’d better vote for this boondoggle

cmsinaz on January 1, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Happy New Year, fellow HotAirians. May our resolve strengthen with every passing day and every new outrage. $41 in new taxes for every $1 spending cut-really?

indypat on January 1, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Happy New Year to all at HotAir !
Thank you for your insight and the witty stuff
is second to none .
Hope everyone has a great year .
God bless .

Lucano on January 1, 2013 at 8:04 AM

MAKING YOU FEEL BETTER, AMIGOS AND AMIGAS

I saw depressed libs last night. This tax bill is not what they were pulling for!

They want to gut the Defense Department.

They wanted huge tax hikes.

Now they are worried about a cold winter. Because of bills?

No! They wanted that stupid carbon tax, more electric car credits and, generally, tons of green spending.

Mr. Joe Bastardi of Weatherbell Analytics called former Vice President Al Gore’s comments on the recent super storm Sandy “stunningly ignorant or stunningly deceptive” and predicted a really cold winter this year. There is a video of his comments online.

Watrch the media give the cold winter the Benghazi treatment.

IlikedAUH2O on January 1, 2013 at 8:33 AM

now the lib talking heads are complaining that the gop is criticizing dear leader’s pep rally yesterday…

cmsinaz on January 1, 2013 at 8:35 AM

cmsinaz on January 1, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Heh…out with the old…in with the old.

Happy New Year!

lynncgb on January 1, 2013 at 8:42 AM

lynncgb on January 1, 2013 at 8:42 AM

indeed :)

happy new year!

cmsinaz on January 1, 2013 at 8:44 AM

And that’s exactly why the Constitution is so important. Separation of powers and no such thing as a single man deciding what’s best for us all.

Well, it used to be that way…………

BacaDog on January 1, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Mornin’.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 1, 2013 at 9:05 AM

so the house will be allowed to make amendments to this bill….

cmsinaz on January 1, 2013 at 9:08 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 1, 2013 at 9:05 AM

mornin’ ALT :)

cmsinaz on January 1, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Mornin’…to two of my favorite ladies. Hold on to something. Here’s My Take.

kingsjester on January 1, 2013 at 9:14 AM

kingsjester on January 1, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Thanks , I forwarded that to a few friends .
Happy New Year .

Lucano on January 1, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Lucano on January 1, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Thank you!

kingsjester on January 1, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Just a kick Happy New Year to everyone at HotAir before the husband monopolizes the only computer again. I’ll be back.

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I think I meant quick not kick, I swear, I didn’t have a drop last night.

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Happy New Year to you both!

kingsjester on January 1, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Mornin’ all. We’re still here, damn Mayans. Wait, that was a week or so ago. Happy thud day.

I mean…

Happy New Year to people I’d probably unknowlingly walk past in the street but whose words I love to read for the wisdom and wit you share so freely. It’s nice to know you are out there.

Well, thirteen is my luck number, figures, huh? So, I hope for the best for all of us but will prepare for the worst, just in case. Bring it, 2013!

Fallon on January 1, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Mornin’…to two of my favorite ladies. Hold on to something. Here’s My Take.

kingsjester on January 1, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Just read your take, nicely done. Happy New Year!

D-fusit on January 1, 2013 at 10:01 AM

D-fusit on January 1, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Thank you! Happy New Year!

kingsjester on January 1, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I think someone in the House should amend it. Then Reid will have to hold another vote. Prezzy might get upset, too. What fun. We’ll all be watching bowl games eating BBQ and black eyed peas, and contemplating the nfl playoffs while the goofballs in DC have to work for us. Meanwhile, another end of the world cult finds out what most of us already know, only God knows the future and when He’ll pull the plug. Happy New Year to all.

Kissmygrits on January 1, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Opinionator on January 1, 2013 at 5:44 AM

Thank you for the kind words…if the professional drivers decide to Go Galt, it really will be the harvest scenes in Atlas Shrugged.

But, it’s a big truck…we’d more likely run them over D.C. like stampeding Elephants.

Who is John Galt on January 1, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Forward is now free fall. Our brilliant Senators.

Our brilliant Senate, does it have a flush know? It sure has some old people who are …

tarpon on January 1, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Happy New Year, HA!!

Deano1952 on January 1, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I dunno. This “fiscal cliff” stuff just seems like fingers in a dike to me. I don’t think anyone really believes that, no matter what the House does, it’ll really make much of a difference, do we?

But that’s just me.

Cleombrotus on January 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM

my hair hurts.

Tim_CA on January 1, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Are you aware that you can get either a cheap laptop or a whole desktop computer setup these days for $100 or (far) less through Craiglist?

Anti-Control on January 1, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I stopped reading after the “As someone who has taught constitutional law for almost 40 years” part.

p51d007 on January 1, 2013 at 4:36 PM