Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on December 30, 2012 by Allahpundit

SEN. HARRY REID (D-NEVADA): We have been negotiating now for 36 hours or thereabouts. We did have conversations last night that ended late in the evening between staffs. This morning, we have been trying to come up with some counteroffer to my friend’s proposal. We have been unable to do that.

I have had a number of conversations with the president, and at this stage we’re not able to make a counteroffer. The Republican leader has told me that — and he’s just said here — that he’s working with the vice president, and he and the vice president, I wish them well.

In the meantime, I will continue to try to come up with something. But at this stage, I don’t have a counteroffer to make. Perhaps as the day wears on, I will be able to. I will say this, I think that the Republican leader has shown absolutely good faith. It’s just that we are apart on some pretty big issues.

***

House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) released the following statement in response to President Obama’s appearance on Meet the Press this morning.

“Americans elected President Obama to lead, not cast blame. The president’s comments today are ironic, as a recurring theme of our negotiations was his unwillingness to agree to anything that would require him to stand up to his own party. Needed cuts and reforms that the president agreed to just last year were no longer on the table, as he cited an inability to sell them to Democrats.

“In an effort to get the president to agree to cut spending — which is the problem — I put revenues on the table last year, and I put them on the table again last month. Republicans made every effort to reach the ‘balanced’ deficit agreement that the president promised the American people, while the president has continued to insist on a package skewed dramatically in favor of higher taxes that would destroy jobs. We’ve been reasonable and responsible. The president is the one who has never been able to get to ‘yes.’

“The House has passed legislation to avert the entire fiscal cliff, and the president has never called for the Senate to act on those bills in any way. He instead has simply allowed the Democratic-controlled Senate to sit on them and lead our economy to the edge of the fiscal cliff. I am pleased Senators from both parties are currently working to find a bipartisan solution that can finally pass that chamber. That is the type of leadership America needs, not what they saw from the president this morning.”

***

Schumer instead blamed House Republicans for resisting compromise on a final deal.

“There are 50 hard right people in the House who don’t want to compromise. They don’t believe in any revenues, they say compromise is a dirty word. And Speaker [John] Boehner just as recently as last week played their tune,” Schumer said. ”You cannot make a deal if you’re going to let the people who are hardest right and uncompromising dictate what we should do.”

But Kyl rejected Schumer’s suggestion that House Republicans are to blame for the failure to get a deal.

“If the Democrats and Mr. Obama in particular don’t get more seriously into that discussion, they have no standing to complain about the Republicans’ lack of balance,” Kyl said. “This is not just a problem with the House. The House passed legislation that would overt the fiscal cliff, both on the sequestration side and on the tax rate side. They’ve already acted.”

***

“In the short term, Republicans are blamed more than Democrats,” Sen. Jerry Moran (R-Kansas), the incoming chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, acknowledged. “I think in the long term, the political damage is to the president and to Democrats.”…

But while Baucus and Landrieu have to worry about 2014, there’s a camp of liberals who don’t want Reid to budge at all unless McConnell caves to virtually all Democratic demands. They argue their party could work its will in the new year and have a much stronger hand to rewrite the Tax Code. Liberal Democrats warn that their party base will be furious at a deal they believe gives away too much, either by not raising taxes enough or by caving on spending cuts.

“I just hope the president doesn’t think he has to give away all this stuff,” said Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa). “He’s in a much better position after the first of the year than he is now.”…

“We may get some disproportionate blame,” said Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), “but there will be plenty to go around.”

***

Sen. Tom Coburn said Sunday there are some advantages to going off the so-called fiscal cliff.

“There are a lot of disadvantages. One of the advantages will be that the American people are going to see what the real cost of their government is — the actual real cost — for both the very wealthy. The very, very low will have minimal impact on them; it’s about $200 a year,” Coburn said on CBS’s “Face the Nation.”

***

Let us pray. Mighty God, have mercy upon us. Because of your unfailing love, because of your great compassion, let us feel your presence today on Capitol Hill as we gather with so much work left undone. Guide our lawmakers with your wisdom. Lord, show them the right thing to do and give them the courage to do it. Be their shelter in the midst of the storm, regardless of how high the waters rise. When they feel exhausted, remind them of the great sufficiency of your grace. Look with favor on our nation and save us from self-inflicted wounds. We pray in your strong name. Amen.

***

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

Via Mediaite.

***

Via the Daily Caller.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

wolly4321 on December 31, 2012 at 1:05 AM

American Bridge?

Bmore on December 31, 2012 at 1:10 AM

The man was a patriot to his last breath. A treasure lost.

predator on December 31, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Amen to that, predator!

4Grace on December 31, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Lovely and talented one. Good eats for your holidays?

Bmore on December 31, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Ok. Yoooooouuuuu people have kept me up way past my bedtime! *thanks, I’ve enjoyed the hell out of it* But I have to hit the rack. Oh, that reminds me.

Rack of lamb,
basted with jam.

Fresh baked bread,
malt with a head.

G’NIght.

predator on December 31, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Good Night predator, Sleep Easy.

Bmore on December 31, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on December 31, 2012 at 1:20 AM

French cajun bridge.

wolly4321 on December 31, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Dire Straits on December 31, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Dire…

KCB on December 31, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Evening Dire, we have been discussing the food we consumed over holiday. ; ) what’s good up your way?

Bmore on December 31, 2012 at 1:22 AM

G’NIght.

predator on December 31, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Night!

I will join you. Have a splitting headache from working outside in the cold the last two days…. need some rest to see if it gets better

Bonus nachos, all!

cane_loader on December 31, 2012 at 1:23 AM

French cajun bridge.

wolly4321 on December 31, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Never heard of them. Is that the Company your Dad worked for?

Bmore on December 31, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Good Night cane_loader, Sleep Well.

Bmore on December 31, 2012 at 1:25 AM

The Moon Goddess might appear from the shadows and treat us with a special dance number.

SparkPlug on December 30, 2012 at 11:39 PM

I ain’t the Moon Goddess and can’t dance but maybe this will work.

PS, wish that effing car would go over the cliff instead of threats. I can deal with problems, just don’t like apprehension.

arnold ziffel on December 31, 2012 at 1:26 AM

KCB on December 31, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Evening..:)

Dire Straits on December 31, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Oh, and pork, can’t forget the pork. Sorry arnold.

Bmore on December 31, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Bmore on December 31, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Sorta bummed out..:(

PS..Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on December 31, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Dire Straits on December 31, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Why? The food not good this holiday?

Bmore on December 31, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Bmore

Hello friend. I just lost all power. Entire block…maybe more. Had to switch to phone to answer
you.

Yes, too much good food. Need to exercise tomorrow!

I better go see what the big deal is. We are having rain but nothing that should have caused blackout

Later, friend!

4Grace on December 31, 2012 at 1:35 AM

KCB on December 31, 2012 at 1:22 AM

After the other night and Toto with “My guitar gently weeps” I have thees for you.

Different, but she does it justice.

arnold ziffel on December 31, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Oh, and pork, can’t forget the pork. Sorry arnold.

Bmore on December 31, 2012 at 1:29 AM

lol, I’m into mild canabilism.

arnold ziffel on December 31, 2012 at 1:38 AM

4Grace, I won’t worry, maybe its just temporary. xo

Bmore on December 31, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Bmore on December 31, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Food was fine..This will be the first New Year’s Eve since before I can remember that Dick Clark will not be bringing in the New Year..Sorta sad..:)

Dire Straits on December 31, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Dire Straits on December 31, 2012 at 1:39 AM

That’s right. I had forgotten. Tis sad. Many good folks left us this past year. : (

Bmore on December 31, 2012 at 1:42 AM

arnold ziffel on December 31, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Best *whisper* that. The Mrs. May hear you. ; )

Bmore on December 31, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Bmore on December 31, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Yes..Stormin General Norman left us a couple of days ago..Very saddening..:(

Dire Straits on December 31, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Getting sleepy, must have been all the food. ; )

Good Night All.

Bmore on December 31, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Bmore on December 31, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Enjoyed it..Later..:)

Dire Straits on December 31, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Good Night All.

Bmore on December 31, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Night Mr. B.

arnold ziffel on December 31, 2012 at 1:56 AM

arnold ziffel on December 31, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Good evening sir..:)

Dire Straits on December 31, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Good evening sir..:)

Dire Straits on December 31, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Hello, hope you and family had a nice Kwanzaa. My favorite day is Ujima—take your neighbor’s shit and make it yours :)

See you tomorrow, time for the hog wallow.

arnold ziffel on December 31, 2012 at 2:15 AM

arnold ziffel on December 31, 2012 at 2:15 AM

LoLz..Enjoyed it as always..Later..:)

Dire Straits on December 31, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Hello..Is there anybody out there??..:)

PS..I just love doing that..:)

Dire Straits on December 31, 2012 at 2:41 AM

There are many creatures of the night.

SparkPlug on December 31, 2012 at 2:55 AM

Dave and Keith, thanks from the bottom of my heart.

hawkdriver on December 30, 2012 at 11:14 PM

We are not what we see on TV…

… There is hope, yet.

Seven Percent Solution on December 31, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Funny, too, that at night, the things hidden in the shadows are equally visible as the others.

What sickens me, amazes me, makes me feel that there’s no hope left is from a quote from the other day. (I can’t find it now, sorry.)

It talked about how republicans would have to meet the democrats half-way, and mentioned the “cuts” the democrats already offered. (I wish I could find it!)

So, we have half of Congress, and half of the electorate who feel that democrats are on the right path! (A cut on an increase is not a cut.)

Half of the voting public thinks that we can continue to spend $1,000,000,000,000.00+ more than we take in each year. No worries.

I have nothing (of monetary value), and HAVE NOT taken from the government (i.e. the taxpayer).

Why shouldn’t I say, “Let it burn?” Why should I work?

Obama is the worst president, ever. He hates you, and he hates America (and all it stands for).

RedCrow on December 31, 2012 at 3:31 AM

I sincerely apologize for my earlier comment since I did not know the situation… God bless you for taking care of him… Again my sincere apologies…

mnjg on December 30, 2012 at 10:44 PM

You’re ok. You didn’t know.

Vince on December 30, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Grace and mercy being display.

Both of you, and especially Vince, set a good example.

davidk on December 31, 2012 at 4:39 AM

I love North Carolina and I love the people as if I were born here with them. Southern Hospitality and charm are real. So are their gigantic hearts. I cannot imagine the mentality of those that seems to need to run people like them down. So many of the liberals here are quick to blame all of our countries woes on their “backward ways”. I’ll take their backward ways any day of the week.

Dave and Keith, thanks from the bottom of my heart.

hawkdriver on December 30, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Great story. These kinds of things reflect the solid foundation of this country.

But Obama wants to “fundamentally transform” our beloved country. *spit*

davidk on December 31, 2012 at 4:44 AM

Wake up!!

KCB on December 31, 2012 at 5:23 AM

Vince on December 30, 2012 at 10:45 PM

“If there is to be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may know peace.”~Thomas Paine

davidk on December 31, 2012 at 6:06 AM

Demand A Plan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxRlpRcorEU

davidk on December 31, 2012 at 6:34 AM

Language warning in previous link

davidk on December 31, 2012 at 6:36 AM

Wakey…wakey. Or our guns, he’ll takey.

kingsjester on December 31, 2012 at 6:54 AM

My take.

kingsjester on December 31, 2012 at 6:55 AM

It is all BS…fake the “Sky is Falling” hysterics routine to cover for all the other taxes taking effect on Jan. 1.

Congress makes the “fiscal cliff” rules, they can change the rules:
Manchin introduces bill to ‘soften the landing’ if nation goes over ‘fiscal cliff’

Kick them all out.

albill on December 31, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Heh. The flat earth society is led by an evolutionist.

“These people truly believed that the Earth is not a globe!” Homuth said. “A lot of stuff like this got ignored and swept into history’s wastebasket. But at the time people actually believed this stuff!”

Incredibly, some people still do. The Flat Earth Society is an active organization currently led by a Virginian man named Daniel Shenton. Though Shenton believes in evolution and global warming, he and his hundreds, if not thousands, of followers worldwide also believe that the Earth is a disc that you can fall off of.

davidk on December 31, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Is Hillary really sick or is it just a cover up for Bengazi?

OmahaConservative on December 31, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Dave and Keith, thanks from the bottom of my heart.

hawkdriver on December 30, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Raising my cup of coffee to Dave and Keith. “May the best of happiness, honor, and fortune keep with you.”

Fallon on December 31, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Is Hillary really sick or is it just a cover up for Bengazi?

OmahaConservative on December 31, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Strange, huh? And, as mentioned before, where are the survivors of the Benghazi attack? Something is rotten in the State of Denmark Department.

Fallon on December 31, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Us against them in perspective: http://scottoncapecod.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/county-voting-map-2012.jpg

davidk on December 31, 2012 at 9:28 AM

OmahaConservative on December 31, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Just saw this on FB:

“On another note, Bill Clinton was seen rushing to Hillary’s nurse’s side to give comfort and aid.”

Fallon on December 31, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Ummm, think we’ll have a nice thick Tbone tonight. Might be the last time we can afford them. This tax increase on dividends is going to hurt those who saved their money while working and live off the proceeds the most. There’s enough pain in the increases and the hidden ones in Ocare to make all of us miserable.

Kissmygrits on December 31, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Flora Duh, if you are still out there, you are greatly missed.

Fallon on December 31, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Democrats Were Against The Bush Middle Class Tax Cuts Before They Were For Them

M2RB: Garbage

I’ve listed ALL of their names. Let’s just remember all of the Democrats, who told the American middle class to f*ck off and die already 11 years ago and then claimed that their tax cuts were responsible for the “Great Recession.”

Resist We Much on December 31, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Resist We Much on December 31, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Linked. This is great information that no one is talking about.

Fallon on December 31, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Is Hillary really sick or is it just a cover up for Bengazi?

OmahaConservative on December 31, 2012 at 8:03 AM

You ask the funniest questions, OC.

Turning on the extreme OT again.

For everyone that made a nice comment about the two young men that helped me (saved me really from getting squished by some truck) thanks. I kind of thought you’d like to hear about some great Americans too for a change. I wish I hadn’t been so tired because there were so many great folks to relate about more specifically.

I’m not sure if everyone who hasn’t been around a while on Hot Air would understand why, first that I’d admit to being the cause of a major traffic jam on a busy two-way in the middle of the night or second why I’d waste your time relating the clean-up. It’s like this. We have had so many liberal commenters here who use the term “redneck” and even on occasion slipped in a “white trash” to describe us as their political opponents. One, who commented as Capitulus, then I’m quite sure was also KeninCT, absolutely thrived on commenting about NASCAR and engines on yards, lack of teeth and whatever. These kids with their thick Southern drawls would be the exact kind of person he would assume all of those stereotypes of, just by the accent they spoke with. A lot of the liberal trolls here are that direct and others have made the inferences to those stereotypes a bit more casually. I’ll just say again, these good people really are the salt of the Earth.

These two that came back were a fraction of the crowd that stopped originally to help clear the highway though. All colors, all ages. All stopping to help some idiot they didn’t know from Adam with a mess that they could easily just driven by. (After swerving, then honking) So, I’m not just still going on about the mishap for attention. I want other folks to know what motivates some of our faiths who comment here. Little prayers in the back of your mind when you are frantic. Running back and forth on a highway at night praying in the back of your mind that a car won’t have an accident because of you, then praying that no one stopping to help you will get hurt helping you move your mess. A few people while they were helping made comments like, “God was looking after you tonight.” Not because I flipped the back of my load, but because I didn’t hurt anyone in the process, the material wasn’t destroyed and a host of other bad things that could have happen, “didn’t” happen. And they were right. I believe even in my worst times, God looks after me and everything really is for a reason. The last folks to leave before the two young men came back were an older black couple. They’d parked behind my trailer and I was walking the older gentleman back across the road to his car and he was asking me also if I wanted him to stay and help. Embarrassed and afraid he’d get hurt I told him no standing by his car. His wife told me, “Then we’ll say a prayer for you, Sweetie.” We actually prayed together right there; for strength to finish an impossible task and not get hurt in the process. To get the stuff back to the property. Standing there after I shook his hand and touching his shoulder as a fellow Christian, I was hard pressed to not become more emotional.

So, what? The point is that I got home finally and got a hug from Mrs. Hawkdriver, (not … you know) and we prayed thanks for all of those people. Does it prove the existence of God? Not to everyone. Will some folks think not everyone that stopped was or needed to be a person of faith? Yep. And they’d be right. One couldn’t know what motivated all their hearts. But it is proof to me and what reaffirms my faith with every minor miracle that occurs in our lives. That some would concede on that road that God was in some way looking out for us still, was like an answer to the frantic little prayers in the back of my head. Like the Grandma praying from inside her car behind my trailer and like the two guys that came back. It makes me feel The Lord in my life as surely as I knew he was there looking after me and my men back when we were deployed. We have people here I respect from the bottom of my heart for their Conservative commentary, that lose me because of their vehement debate of the “ignorance of Christianity and religion”. Stronger Christians than me here argue with them, verse and history. I can’t ever do that because the debates are canned and repeated and rarely would cause someone to change their beliefs one way or the other. But I think it is a worthy event to give an insight to what drives our hearts and our faiths. As I said, I’m not a great Christian, but I do recognize when I’m being led to share. I should have in the original comment, but it always seems to draw controversial comments when you attribute like I finally have here.

So, here is what I believe. In our darkest times he’s still there. Instead of news of someone having an accident because of me, I’ll forever recall how blessed I was that something so dangerous ended so well and that as I sit here and type, the trailer is on the property waiting for me for me to use the material to start building. And as Cindy Munford would relate from emails, the progress on the new property has been a great source of frustration to us and we struggle to keep pushing a difficult portion of it. Last night might have been a breaking point for me. But, today I am reaffirmed and I dedicate all we are able to accomplish out there to our Lord.

For what it’s worth.

hawkdriver on December 31, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Possum stew and collard greens.

(think “Granny” on the Beverly Hillbillies)

That woman could cook up some vittles!

Tim_CA on December 31, 2012 at 11:51 AM