NFL Week 17 open thread

posted at 11:01 am on December 30, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Okay, so this wasn’t the year for the Pittsburgh Steelers.  They lost their last-gasp shot at making the playoffs last week in a close game against the Cincinnati Bengals, who clinched a wild card nod.  Today the Cleveland Browns come to town, and the Steelers have to break a three-game losing streak to keep from ending up with a losing record for the year.  Expect Pittsburgh to rebound and win 27-13 to finish 8-8.

Even though I went 2-4 for the second straight week, I’m doing a lot better than .500 this season; I’m now 64-35 despite the two-week losing streak.  Let’s see if I can’t rebound, too, by focusing on games with playoff implications:

• Packers at Vikings (4:25 pm ET, Fox) -It’s a rare season when at least one of these two teams aren’t fighting for a playoff slot.  In this case, the Pack has already won the division and needs to take the #2 seed to get a bye in the first round.  The Vikes have to win today to secure a playoff slot, and if they do, they’d almost certainly have to play in Green Bay next week.  The Vikes are tough at home, but the Pack is getting their late-season momentum back.  Packers 31-23 over the Vikes.
  • Eagles at Giants (1 pm, Fox) - New York ends up with the easiest draw in the playoff hunt today, facing the Philly trainwreck at home while Michael Vick takes the field in place of injured Nick Foles.  If Eli Manning can’t take care of business today, the Giants have no business in the playoffs — and a win won’t guarantee them that, either.  They still need Chicago, Minnesota, and Dallas to lose just to get the #6 wild-card slot. Giants win 33-17.
  • Rams at Seahawks (4:25 pm, Fox) - This one is an intriguing matchup.  The Rams are not a bad road team, and the Seahawks are a great home team.  Seattle already has a playoff slot, but they need a win here and a San Francisco loss to win the division.  The St. Louis defense has become tough over the last few games, giving up no more than 17 points, but that will probably end today.  Seattle makes its move with a 27-24 win, perhaps in OT.
  • Cardinals at 49ers (4:25 pm, Fox) – This should be an easy win for San Francisco, but they’ve struggled since their big win over New England earlier this month.  A win gives them the division title, while a loss and a Seattle win forces them into a wild-card slot on the road.  I’m guessing that the poor road play of Arizona becomes a factor today, and the 49ers get a relatively easy win to clinch the division, 35-21.
  • Cowboys at Redskins (8:20 pm, NBC) – This might be the most impactful game today.  A Redskins win clinches them the division title; a loss means they have to have Chicago and Minnesota lose to get a wild-card slot.  Dallas wins the title if they beat Washington, but again, if Chicago and Minnesota both win, they’re out of the playoffs with a loss.  Washington is 4-3 at home, while Dallas is 4-3 on the road.  Dallas will probably get an early lead, but Washington comes back to win a close one and the division, 31-28.

Comments

Steelers 49 – Enemy 3

I hope Peterson breaks the rushing record today, that dude has heart.

Bishop on December 30, 2012 at 11:08 AM

…have not looked at the prediction…they won’t let me down…Lions will lose!

KOOLAID2 on December 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM

…but!…then all 7 sports writers in town picked MSU to lose against TCU last night!…mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

KOOLAID2 on December 30, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Another season ends with Ed’s record in Pittsburgh’s games lower than it should be because he picks the games of the 7-8 Steelers with his heart rather than his head.

aunursa on December 30, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I find my picking is MUCH better when I have nothing bet on a game.

It’s when i have money bet i lose.

OH well.

gerrym51 on December 30, 2012 at 11:24 AM

A rare weekend where I can root for both the Bears and the Packers. I’m also Irish and English so I am comfortable being at odds with myself.

Fallon on December 30, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I have not payed attention to the Seahawks until the last 3-4 weeks.

They seem to have become an offensive juggernaut no matter who they play.

WHO KNEW

gerrym51 on December 30, 2012 at 11:27 AM

As a 49ers fan, I need the Vikings to win to give San Francisco a shot at a first round bye. As a Bears fan, my wife is rooting for the Packers, to keep Chicago’s playoff hopes alive.

Nevertheless, I determined that both of our goals can be met — and thus we can achieve family harmony — if the Green Bay-Minnesota game ends in a tie.

aunursa on December 30, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I’m also Irish and English so I am comfortable being at odds with myself.

Fallon on December 30, 2012 at 11:27 AM

That is so schizophrenic… not that I’m diagnosing, or anything!

ExpressoBold on December 30, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Let’s go Vikings!

gophergirl on December 30, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Not going to bother.

CW on December 30, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Let’s go Vikings!

gophergirl on December 30, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Finally, we’re back again. Go Vikes, Go Texans.

TXUS on December 30, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I’m also Irish and English so I am comfortable being at odds with myself.

Fallon on December 30, 2012 at 11:27 AM

That has me laughing out loud for some reason.

TXUS on December 30, 2012 at 11:39 AM

If the 49ers win today, this will be the last division title for them for a while, cause Rams and the Seahawks will be better next year. Rams and the Seahawks have a lot of Cap space to use. Rams also have a lot of draft picks to trade.

BroncosRock on December 30, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Finally, we’re back again. Go Vikes, Go Texans.

TXUS on December 30, 2012 at 11:38 AM

And all is right with the world :)

gophergirl on December 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Who says the 49ers won’t be better next year, too?

aunursa on December 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM

GO RAVENS!

Fezzik on December 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I’m also Irish and English so I am comfortable being at odds with myself.

Fallon on December 30, 2012 at 11:27 AM

That has me laughing out loud for some reason.

TXUS on December 30, 2012 at 11:39 AM

ROTFLMAO… Having had both Irish Catholic and Scottish Protestant grandparents, I am totally capable of understanding Fallon’s statement. Live in a house that conflicted and being at odds with ones self becomes second nature… o_O

SWalker on December 30, 2012 at 11:56 AM

The 49ers did not win a game against the Rams this year, Rams WILL be A LOT better next year. It will be harder for the 49ers to win against the Rams, Rams have the draft picks and the cap space to be a super bowl team. Rams also have Fisher as their coach.

Seattle has a lot of cap space to get a free agent to booster their offense line and/or linebackers.

49ers do not have a lot of cap space to use

BroncosRock on December 30, 2012 at 12:02 PM

TEEEEEEBOWWWWWWW!

cane_loader on December 30, 2012 at 12:02 PM

SWalker on December 30, 2012 at 11:56 AM

For you.

Fallon on December 30, 2012 at 12:05 PM

The Jets have so deeply imploded that they’re not on the radar screen despite their frantic quest for media attention. How many years has it been since they even went to the Super Bowl?

philw1776 on December 30, 2012 at 12:08 PM

So if Sanchez gets injured, will Rex Ryan forfeit instead of playing Tebow, given that McElroy has a concussion?

Money says if Sanchez goes down, Ryan puts in Shonn Greene at QB.

cane_loader on December 30, 2012 at 12:09 PM

gophergirl on December 30, 2012

…MSU is going to be playing 12-1 Minnesota (basketball)…in Minnesota
…I think there might be a night…I don’t like you!

KOOLAID2 on December 30, 2012 at 12:10 PM

The Jets Props have so deeply imploded that they’re not on the radar screen despite their frantic quest for media attention. How many years has it been since they even went to the Super Bowl?

philw1776 on December 30, 2012 at 12:08 PM

FIFY

cane_loader on December 30, 2012 at 12:11 PM

What’s the over/under on Sanchez turnovers today?

cane_loader on December 30, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Apologies to Jetboy, but the Props have deeply ticked me off with what they have done to Tim Tebow. It’s a disgrace the way they have treated the young man. Elway probably knew, too, what was going to go down.

cane_loader on December 30, 2012 at 12:13 PM

…MSU is going to be playing 12-1 Minnesota (basketball)…in Minnesota
…I think there might be a night…I don’t like you!

KOOLAID2 on December 30, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Tomorrow afternoon and I have to work :(

MSU is a hard team to hate for me. I love Izzo.

Now Wisconsin on the other hand….

gophergirl on December 30, 2012 at 12:14 PM

The game I want to watch is the ‘Skins/’Boys.

The division title at stake, and RGIII’s first big game chance of his career, plus ‘Boys really need the win to control their own destiny.

Should be a good one.

Also, a key game in Mike Shanahan’s career. I used to have friendly arguments with Shanahan behind the backstop between innings when he was in his 30s and coaching the Raiders, I was a plate ump, and I used to call his kid Kyle out on strikes a lot. Shanahan’s an intense dude, but was fun to argue with.

cane_loader on December 30, 2012 at 12:19 PM

One time our last baseball got wedged in the chain link at the very top of the backstop after a hitter fouled the ball straight up. The field was near a ravine and so after a lot of foul balls, we used to lose a lot of baseballs and no one wanted to go after them because of the rattlers, so we were out. After calling timeout and the catcher and I throwing the catcher’s mask at it in vain for awhile, Shanahan climbs the 25-foot-tall backstop like a monkey… grabs the ball – holds it up in the air while everyone’s cheering, and then hollers down that he hopes everyone will cheer for the Raiders like that next year – lolol.

Crazy intense dude. Cool.

cane_loader on December 30, 2012 at 12:23 PM

SWalker on December 30, 2012 at 11:56 AM

For you.

Fallon on December 30, 2012 at 12:05 PM

ROTFLMAO… My Father WAS Orange and My Mother WAS Green… That one is so funny it actually hurts. ;)

SWalker on December 30, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Washington comes back to win a close one and the division

Honey, take Ed off the Christmas card list for next year.

BobMbx on December 30, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Money says if Sanchez goes down, Ryan puts in Shonn Greene at QB.

cane_loader on December 30, 2012 at 12:09 PM

…WTF did they get Tebow for?

KOOLAID2 on December 30, 2012 at 12:32 PM

…WTF did they get Tebow for?

KOOLAID2 on December 30, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Sell jerseys and season tickets.

cane_loader on December 30, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Like the Eagles(+7 1/2), Rams(+10 1/2), Niners(-16 1/2), and Skins(-3) in these divisional rivalry games.

TouchdownBuddha on December 30, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Current eBay prices:

Mark Sanchez youth jerseys: $19.99-$29.99 typical price

Tim Tebow youth jerseys: $39.99 typical price

Mark Sanchez signed jersey: $699

Tem Tebow signed jets jersey: $900

The market speaks.

cane_loader on December 30, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I will pull for the ‘Skins because everything I have read about GriffinIII, he seems like a solid young man, good head on his shoulders, and good role model.

cane_loader on December 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Texans/Colts should also be a good one. I really haven’t watched Luck all year.

As with Griffin III, now’s his chance for a big-game performance.

cane_loader on December 30, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Hey Ed, how long did you leave your head painted like that?

First time I saw the photo, and that was pretty cool!!!!

Sorry your Steelers lost, but did you have fun at that game, or what??!!!

cane_loader on December 30, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Say what?

Da Boys have been 14-17 behind the first half all year. Playing catchup ball is no way to fight your way to the Super Bowl. Even if Jerry’s Spacecadets beat the Skins all that catchup football for the last 17 weeks is going to come back to haunt them.

Limerick on December 30, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Nice to hear that the NY Football Giants are hosting 200 kids from Sandy Hook Elementary School (along with 50 Wounded Warriors) at today’s game.

Del Dolemonte on December 30, 2012 at 12:58 PM

BroncosRock on December 30, 2012 at 12:02 PM

The Rams did beat the 49ers, but it was very close. San Francisco was 2 missed field goals away from sweeping St. Louis. It’s not as if the Rams OWN the 49ers.

The 49ers beat Green Bay and New England on the road, and we shut down New Orleans in the Superdome right when the Saints were on a hot streak. And with Kaepernick having more experience as a starter, San Francisco will be fine next year. Fisher’s a fine coach, but so is Jim Harbaugh, who has guided a team that had 8 consecutive non-winning seasons to a 23-7-1 in the past two years. As a 49ers fan, I’m more concerned with facing the Seahawks next year than the Rams.

aunursa on December 30, 2012 at 1:08 PM

aunursa on December 30, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Don’t count your chickens – - the Niners will have to get past the Payton-recharged Saints….. in the Dome again.

cane_loader on December 30, 2012 at 1:16 PM

…WTF did they get Tebow for?

KOOLAID2 on December 30, 2012 at 12:32 PM

“Since Tebow has been such a central part of things it’s only fitting that folks are delving into why he was such a problem for the team. Here’s some fascinating anonymous quotes in the Post.

“Rex [Ryan] and Tony [Sparano] had no idea how to use him,” the source said.

[...]

A source said the Jets were shocked at how poor Tebow played in practice soon after he arrived. As Tebow struggled, McElroy improved and eventually gained the coaching staff’s backing. So when Ryan decided to give Sanchez the hook this week, his trust was in McElroy.

There was also the “Tebowmania” factor. One source described the organization as “frozen with fear” that Tebow would actually excel, creating a quarterback controversy that would wreck Sanchez’s psyche. Tebow wound up being more effective as the personal protector on the punt team than as an offensive player.” Source: The Jets Blog dot Com, December 21, 2012

A better question is WTF did you bother asking.

Also, I didn’t know their Offensive Co but knew enough to believe that he was not getting the best deal in Miami when he got the heave. Few NFL coaches do get a good chance, though.

IlikedAUH2O on December 30, 2012 at 1:19 PM

aunursa on December 30, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Don’t count your chickens – – the Niners will have to get past the Payton-recharged Saints….. in the Dome again.

cane_loader on December 30, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Nice to see Payton locked up for 5 years. I was afraid he was going to end up in Dallas.

Del Dolemonte on December 30, 2012 at 1:22 PM

The Butt Fumble already accomplished that.

Let the kid start, for crying out loud.

As much of a team player as Tebow was all year…. risking his career by doing such a known dangerous job as punt protector, Ryan owed him a start.

What they’ve done to Tebow is really messed up in a simple moral sense.

cane_loader on December 30, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Del Dolemonte on December 30, 2012 at 1:22 PM

He’s still hugely popular here.
He’s coming back to take us back to the Super Bowl.

cane_loader on December 30, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Washington comes back to win a close one and the division, 31-28.

Huh? Cowboys ahead?

The last time I saw these two, the Washington Redskins team was leading 28 to 3 at half time before I succumbed to Turkey anesthesia and fell asleep.

Maybe it was a dream.

IlikedAUH2O on December 30, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Abobo’s down with the cause! Go RG!

abobo on December 30, 2012 at 1:38 PM

VikQueens are playing for the role of cannon-fodder in the playoffs. Packers are playing not to have to go to Seattle, but have Seattle come to Green Bay. Peterson will be a good test to see if the Packers can stop the run. Packers will beat the VikQueens 28 -17.

JimmyGee on December 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM

cane_loader on December 30, 2012 at 1:24 PM

The JETS are about to fire OC Sparano and have looked into trading Tebow. But you didn’t hear it from me.

Where would he work? A team with an offense predicated on reckless QB play from a guy with more physical, athletic and spontaneous, broken play gifts than planned excellence.

Who could that be, Ed?

The Steelers would be a great fit for Tebow but they are on a jag to go with the personal safety of the QB over success on the field. That is the obit for this season for them.

The cost of being on top of the NFL bureaus, I guess.

IlikedAUH2O on December 30, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Deja vu. The last time Dallas played Wash Pitt played Cleve.

IlikedAUH2O on December 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Holy crap!! Looks like the Colts are going to get the same magic calls they got last year at home.

DanMan on December 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Go Ravens & Giants. Especially the Ravens :)

HotAirLib on December 30, 2012 at 2:27 PM

The cost of being on top of the NFL bureaus, I guess.

IlikedAUH2O on December 30, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Interesting thinking.

I would add to your thoughts this:

Yes, Tebow does remind me of Roethlisberger in his physicality and scrambling.

Roethlisberger is a better passer.

But Tebow throws fewer interceptions.

cane_loader on December 30, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Old and Busted: FREE SEAN PAYTON!
New Hotness: SEAN PAYTON IS FREE!

Christien on December 30, 2012 at 3:12 PM

GRRR!!!!

Saints better win the closer!

cane_loader on December 30, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Bye Bye Giants—-You can “heat-up” all you want now.

Bears up 26-24….two minutes left.

Rovin on December 30, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Bears win, bye-bye Giants.

ExpressoBold on December 30, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Bittersweet here in New England this afternoon for the Patriots game-it’s the final home game for legendary radio play-by-play man Gil Santos, who is the only remaining radio announcer still around from the old American Football League still broadcasting. He’s tied with Eagles announcer Merrill Reese with 30 years of service each.

And his longtime broadcast partner, “Mr. Patriot” Gino Cappelletti, came out of retirement to join Gil in the booth for one last home game. They both got a standing ovation when they were honored before the kickoff.

Del Dolemonte on December 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Cowboys at Redskins (8:20 pm, NBC) – This might be the most impactful game today. A Redskins win clinches them the division title; a loss means they have to have Chicago and Minnesota lose to get a wild-card slot. Dallas wins the title if they beat Washington, but again, if Chicago and Minnesota both win, they’re out of the playoffs with a loss. Washington is 4-3 at home, while Dallas is 4-3 on the road. Dallas will probably get an early lead, but Washington comes back to win a close one and the division, 31-28.

Washington fans need this from a morale standpoint. Sequestration is about to put a lot of people out on the streets without a job in Obama’s jobless economy. Personally I was convinced that the predictions of a Mayan end-of-the-world predictions were true because Washington had a shot at the playoffs that don’t include incredible improbable combinations of wins and losses.

Hail to the Redskins!

Happy Nomad on December 30, 2012 at 4:53 PM

cane_loader on December 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM

You don’t know the half of it cane_loader.

Many an athlete have become arrogant and cocky with all the hype and attention RG III has received. Even when some jackass at ESPN questioned his “blackness” because he was dating a white girl, he remained a class act. But beyond that he has always been modest in success and has always acknowledged “team.” It is so refreshing after the Lebron James and Ron Artest moments.

Happy Nomad on December 30, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Unless I have the DTs or are watching the minions of Satan looking like NFL players, the wrong setting, guys with horns from Minnesota have 20 points.

To you guys who think rooting for Green Bay is synonymous with pulling for a winner, did you take a long rest for a couple of decades before 1991? But at least GB has an interesting ownership structure.

I know, every NFL team is enchanted and “special” and magical and storied and a lot of BS for a crass local cash machine in a protected monopoly. All of which should be owned by blacks if there was a God.

Now back to hurling curses at American cars and the UAW….

IlikedAUH2O on December 30, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Happy Nomad on December 30, 2012 at 5:01 PM

In DC? You promise?

IlikedAUH2O on December 30, 2012 at 6:13 PM

7:07 PM…gg!…did you see that catch?…must be the sweatshirt!

KOOLAID2 on December 30, 2012 at 7:09 PM

7:14 Vikings TD!…keep it on!

KOOLAID2 on December 30, 2012 at 7:16 PM

My dear these Vikings are going to give me a heart attack.

gophergirl on December 30, 2012 at 7:23 PM

oh oh! Tied!

KOOLAID2 on December 30, 2012 at 7:28 PM

…Peterson!

KOOLAID2 on December 30, 2012 at 7:43 PM

M I N N E S O T A !

KOOLAID2 on December 30, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Well Minnesota gets the game on a blown non catch call thanks refs.

watertown on December 30, 2012 at 7:46 PM

YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gophergirl on December 30, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Well Minnesota gets the game on a blown non catch call thanks refs.

watertown on December 30, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Agree. But in spite of all the bad calls, Packers still win the division and are in the playoffs.

Go Pack!

NbyNW on December 30, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Lions, and Bears and Giants, no more….Lions, and Bears and Giants, no more…..Lions, and Bears and Giants, no more

Rovin on December 30, 2012 at 7:59 PM

No vote on the fiscal tonight bcuz they all have to retire to watch the negotiations between the Redskins and Cowboys where there will be a resolution tonight.

stukinIL4now on December 30, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Well Minnesota gets the game on a blown non catch call thanks refs.

watertown on December 30, 2012 at 7:46 PM

There were other bad calls in this game as well. NFL officiating has been subpar this year. Packers should be at home next week resting with at least a 12-4 record. On the other hand, they shoulda taken the kickoff at the start of the game instead of letting P&P get the offense in gear for the Vikings. On the third hand, da’ Bears are outta the playoffs and I’m gonna enjoy all the weeping and whining around here from sniveling Bears fans.

stukinIL4now on December 30, 2012 at 8:09 PM

NFL Red Zone, great for those with ADD, called 81 touchdowns today!

This was a record for the four years of the show.

And that was just the New Orleans game!

We still have Dallas and Washington!

And we will always have…STEELERS!

IlikedAUH2O on December 30, 2012 at 8:12 PM

The Incredible NFL Fans. Gotta love ‘em!

I think there’s a new penalty in the NFL
Personal foul, attempting to win while playing the Peckers. 80 yard penalty.

by B Rad on Dec 30, 2012

OR

I think Packers are just setting up an easy opponent for their 1st playoff game. Let em win
by rukiddn on Dec 30, 2012

IlikedAUH2O on December 30, 2012 at 9:00 PM

What happened to the Seahawks this week? Is their offense all tired out? After three weeks of 40+ points (58, 50 and 42) all they could manage today was a paltry 20 against the Rams. From week to week in the NFL it changes justlikethat.

stukinIL4now on December 30, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I am bummed that my beloved Packers lost. They played pathetically. Hell, they didn’t show up until the second half. I do take comfort in knowing that my beloved Packers’s cost the Bears the Playoffs! Awesome!!!!!!!

JimmyGee on December 30, 2012 at 10:12 PM

NBC sportscaster just asked RGIII and Alfred Morris “to solve the fiscal cliff crisis since they’ve solved everything else in DC.” Good freakin’ idea!

ExpressoBold on December 30, 2012 at 11:34 PM

So ye sow so shall ye reap!

Since I believe in the Vedanta, I am going to find which deity is a Steeler fan.

Those wanton Cowboys celebrated the virtuous Ben’s ill advised pass to virtually end the Steeler season and give them a win, look what came back to get them.

Last year, it was the proud QB Tebow who ended the Steeler season and was joyous with a successful pass he tossed in in overtime. He was sent to the JETS!

Karma.

Don’t believe it? Watch what happens to Cincinnati. It will be horrible.

IlikedAUH2O on December 30, 2012 at 11:41 PM