The other, other cliff: With no farm bill, milk prices set to soar

posted at 2:01 pm on December 28, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

A few weeks back, Department of Agriculture Secretary Vilsack lamented the declining influence of rural America and the agricultural lobby’s inability to push next year’s farm bill through Congress. What he conspicuously failed to mention, of course, is that the farm bill and the USDA’s many decades-old agricultural programs in general (numbering in the hundreds and ranging from direct cash payouts to trade barriers) primarily benefit large agribusinesses and hardly ever the small, struggling family farms they claim they are trying to “protect.” In reality, all of these subsidies only help special niche interests, distort free-market signals, provide rent-seeking channels to industries that neither need nor merit it, create virtual taxpayer-sponsored rackets, and come at the cost of a net drain on our economy.

The dairy industry is just one example of the utter convolution perpetuated by the federal government deigning to award market-distorting special treatment, on behalf of what they deem to be ‘fairness’ and at taxpayers’ expense. Sorry to throw another “cliff” metaphor at you, but this is happening:

Distracted by dealing with the Bush tax cuts, lawmakers are running out of time to pass the latest version of the country’s sweeping farm bill and avoid what’s become known as the “dairy cliff.” If Congress misses the Jan. 1 deadline, the price of milk could rise significantly — some say by more than $3 a gallon — as the country’s farm policy reverts back to laws dating from 1949. …

At the heart of the trouble is an old provision designed to create a floor for how much dairy farmers are paid for milk — a kind of minimum wage. The formula for calculating that price, however, is based on assumptions that are a century old, predating the improvements in dairy farming. That old formula, if not replaced by a new farm bill, would push prices higher.

How much higher is difficult to determine because of the complexity of milk pricing. There are middlemen who help determine the price of the supermarket gallon, including processors and companies such as Dean Foods that market dairy products to consumers.

Hmm — perhaps it would have been better if the federal government had never made it their personal business to spend our resources coddling their politically-preferred industries in the first place, no?

I think I’m with Krauthammer on this one; maybe it would be better for us to go over the “dairy cliff.” Few things could as immediately and effectively drive home the costs of federal encumbrance like a sudden spike in the price of that previously innocuous half-gallon. Maybe Americans need to be hit where it hurts before they’ll finally stop supporting backwards and interfering policies like the ones sustained by the USDA. Everybody wants to eliminate expensive subsidies, just not their subsidies:

I do think if we went over the milk cliff it would actually be a good idea. [If] people actually saw the milk price double, it would be less abstract than watching a debt clock. They would finally understand that we have the insane laws, that acquire barnacles over the decades. And the farm laws are the worst. They are all kind of pressure, special interest favors, pay offs which make no economic sense. I’d like to wipe them out and start all over again, and it would be good if the law expired. People would actually be awakened to how insane our system is and how much we really need tax reform. It wouldn’t be an abstraction, it would be real.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

With no farm bill, milk prices set to soar

But Beer prices will remain stable….right?

RIGHT???

Tim_CA on December 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Let the farm bill burn.

dentarthurdent on December 28, 2012 at 2:06 PM

LACTOSE INTOLLERANTS REJOICE!

GhoulAid on December 28, 2012 at 2:06 PM

OK, so let’s say we go over the Dairy Cliff. People will wonder why the price of milk has gone up overnight, agreed. Where I don’t agree is that there will be some clamor to get government’s nose out of the milk business or there will be a sudden realization as to how intrusive government has become.

Nope, the outcry will be for government to “do something,” eg continue its intrusion and set milk prices. And the carnival will continue…

JohnTant on December 28, 2012 at 2:07 PM

But Beer prices will remain stable….right?

RIGHT???

Tim_CA on December 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM

OH – now wait a minute there… You guys only mentioned milk. Nobody said anything about beer.
WELLL?? What will happen to BEER?????

dentarthurdent on December 28, 2012 at 2:07 PM

JohnTant on December 28, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I’m leaning towards…”Republicans Want Your Children to Die”.

(never let a good crisis…..)

Tim_CA on December 28, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Milk prices already went up – I used to easily pay under $3 for a gallon. Not anymore, unless I go to Aldi.

22044 on December 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM

The other, other cliff: With no farm bill, milk prices set to soar

That’s great news! Letting corporate welfare expire will allow the free market to set prices. If prices go up to $6 or $8 dollars or whatever in the short term it will provide incentive to producers to increase supply. Or if there is too much milk produced and all the “soaring” milk prices are a result of inefficiency then farmers will be forced to increase efficiency and cut out waste, thus reducing milk prices.

Before long milk prices will reach a fair market price and the taxpayers won’t have to pay corporate welfare to government cronies anymore. People will still have their milk and our government will be less corrupt.

FloatingRock on December 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I like these cliffs. Are there more?!

EddieC on December 28, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Yup — I agree with Krauthammer, too. Let’s do away with all subsidies every where — energy, milk, all farm products, everything. These subsidies and their byzantine laws and regulations hurt the very people they are supposed to help: small farmers and small businesses.

catsandbooks on December 28, 2012 at 2:11 PM

JohnTant on December 28, 2012 at 2:07 PM

If you want to see a REAL public outcry, start talking about the BEER Cliff….

dentarthurdent on December 28, 2012 at 2:12 PM

If you want to see a REAL public outcry, start talking about the BEER Cliff….

dentarthurdent on December 28, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Civil War.

Tim_CA on December 28, 2012 at 2:12 PM

catsandbooks on December 28, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I’d be good with that..

dentarthurdent on December 28, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Nothing a forced unionization, a few confiscations, and a dozen public hangings wouldn’t cure. Right, Barry?

Archivarix on December 28, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Got Milk Money?

Electrongod on December 28, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Go over all the cliffs. Let it burn. It’s the Obama Depression.

rbj on December 28, 2012 at 2:17 PM

With the way dc made laws for decades for certain businesses/people and we are now seeing WHAT could happen if we don’t continue said laws, the only people who will be able to afford milk/beef/chicken/corn products/etc. will be those on food stamps? The taxpayers paid food stamps, I might add!
L

letget on December 28, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Funny enough, I was just buying a gallon of milk when the cashier asked me if I would buy one at $8 gallon. Ummm no I wouldn’t but before I could answer she elaborated about how the president is trying to straighten this out and if he can’t people should just let the milk rot on the shelves.

I honestly hadn’t been paying attention to this cliff so I was unprepared for a response other than saying maybe we should let the president rot on the shelf and let the milk take care of itself. She was a little taken back by the dig about the president but I knew anything he was planning on “fixing” was better off left alone.

I won’t buy milk at $8 a gallon. I only bought it because my son was home from school and he likes it. He can like water just as much for that price. I would add though I am skeptical Americans will get the association between the debt, farm subsidies and their milk costs. They will just want someone to make the price low again and join the chorus when Republicans are blamed for making them pay more. I imagine if people stop buying milk at that high price, supply and demand will work its magical ways and prices will come down. Question remains to be answered whether Republicans can either make their case or withstand public pressure in the mean time. I am not holding my breath.

msmveritas on December 28, 2012 at 2:19 PM

JohnTant on December 28, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Sadly, you are 100% correct.

kim roy on December 28, 2012 at 2:20 PM

I like these cliffs. Are there more?!

EddieC on December 28, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Claven
Burton
Lee

Nick_Angel on December 28, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Food prices soared 4 years ago. All the regs and increased costs of fuel cause food prices to increase. Obama and the donks have truly effed this country.

Blake on December 28, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Out: Bubble
In: Cliff

DaveDief on December 28, 2012 at 2:22 PM

If you want to see a REAL public outcry, start talking about the BEER Cliff….

dentarthurdent on December 28, 2012 at 2:12 PM

If we go over the beer cliff, we’ll also go over the whine cliff.

Nick_Angel on December 28, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I hate to break it to some but if the price of milk doubles the idiots who voted for the Indonesian Dog-Eater will just think that the feral govenrment was keeping the price down and this inaction caused the price to spike. They’ll want even more government interference in milk pricing.

There’s no winning with America-hating idiots like this …. which is why I just want a national divorce from them. Let them burn in the hell of their own making, as they so rightfully deserve.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 28, 2012 at 2:22 PM

“Milk comes from the back of the grocery store, fools” — Leftards

Schadenfreude on December 28, 2012 at 2:23 PM

So, the real problem is an old law that needs repeal, rather than the continuation of some subsidy. Why is the national government involved in setting prices in any industry? End it all.

FloatingRock on December 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Unfortunately, no, FR. That old law will still be in force, and will be what forces prices “over the cliff.” Until it is also repealed, the market won’t be free to operate.

catsandbooks on December 28, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Amen.

GWB on December 28, 2012 at 2:23 PM

If you want to see a REAL public outcry, start talking about the BEER Cliff….

dentarthurdent on December 28, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Good thing I have my own beer brewing kit… o_O

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but does this have any impact on ethanol subsidies?

M240H on December 28, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Yup, folks’ll definitely come out against subsidies once the price of farm products skyrockets. I mean, that’s just common sense…

Mr. Arkadin on December 28, 2012 at 2:24 PM

22044 on December 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Same here. Even Aldi has raised their price on milk. I agree wtih the poster who said the result of higher milk prices will be demands for more govt. intervention.

Lightswitch on December 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

If we go over the beer cliff, we’ll also go over the whine cliff.

Nick_Angel on December 28, 2012 at 2:22 PM

oof.

now this post should be a bannable offense.

(lol)

Tim_CA on December 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Out: Bubble
In: Cliff

DaveDief on December 28, 2012 at 2:22 PM

They were going to call these “precipices” but Barky the Retard used “on the precipice” with a good connotation (he learned that at the Ivies, no doubt) to describe his insane, anti-American national socialization of health insurance so they had to go with “cliff”. The travails of having an illiterate moron as the head of a political movement.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

You might be worried about price of milk, but Obamacare will pay for a new pair of milk containers – and I don’t mean plastic.

Archivarix on December 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but does this have any impact on ethanol subsidies?

M240H on December 28, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Hmmm, do cows and ethanol have anything in common? Inquiring minds want to know…

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

If we go over the beer cliff, we’ll also go over the whine cliff.

Nick_Angel on December 28, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Heh…good one.

Lightswitch on December 28, 2012 at 2:27 PM

milk prices set to soar

No problem. As we speak the Secretary of Agriculture is working on a “milk stamp program”.

darwin on December 28, 2012 at 2:27 PM

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Next thing you’ll be asking what cows and chocolate have in common…

Archivarix on December 28, 2012 at 2:27 PM

oof.

now this post should be a bannable offense.

(lol)

Tim_CA on December 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

HAHA

Come on. It was good.

Nick_Angel on December 28, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Archivarix on December 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

udderly delightful.

Tim_CA on December 28, 2012 at 2:28 PM

If we go over the beer cliff, we’ll also go over the whine cliff.

Nick_Angel on December 28, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Heh…good one.

Lightswitch on December 28, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Real beer drinkers don’t whine, they get a pitchfork and a torch…

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but does this haveany impactonethanolsubsidies?

M240H on December 28, 2012 at 2:23 PM

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

You might be thinking methane, but I am thinking corn.

M240H on December 28, 2012 at 2:28 PM

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

You might be thinking methane, but I am thinking corn.

M240H on December 28, 2012 at 2:28 PM

udderly delightful.

Tim_CA on December 28, 2012 at 2:28 PM

That’s a banning.

Nick_Angel on December 28, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Na, not a bannable offense, a good branding ought to suffice. o_O

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I had an uncle who was a farmer. His two money crops were dairy and tobacco. When I was a kid, back in the fifties and sixties, he was still mad at Harry Truman for signing a bill that allowed manufacturers to add the coloring in “oleomargarine” during the manufacturing process.

For those of you too young to remember, Oleomargairne was a synthetic ‘butter’ popular after WW2. I don’t know how it came about but I believe it was a response to butter rationing during the war. Originally, when you purchased ‘margarine’ it was an off-white substance with a color and texture similar to lard. It was sold with a packet of artificial coloring which the consumer then blended at home. It was about as appetizing as it sounds. In the late forties, Truman signed a law which changed that, and as a result the price of butter – and subsequently milk – plummeted. I think some of these dairy subsidies were enacted to help out family farms. Unfortunately, these things never go away.

I think the time is now to stop the subsidies.

oldleprechaun on December 28, 2012 at 2:32 PM

milk prices set to soar

so now will the cow really jump over the mooon?

ted c on December 28, 2012 at 2:33 PM

When I herd milk prices were going up, my first thought was “No Whey!”

Nick_Angel on December 28, 2012 at 2:34 PM

When I herd milk prices were going up, my first thought was “No Whey!”

Nick_Angel on December 28, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Your puny attempts at humor are curdling my beer…

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 2:37 PM

When I herd milk prices were going up, my first thought was “No Whey!”

Nick_Angel on December 28, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Yeah, I cow’d have bought it cheap a few days ago.

22044 on December 28, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Okay, I’m going to try this again…

Anyone know if ethanol production subsidization is part of the omnibus farm bill, or if it is accomplished separately- through a different bill or even agency?

My reasoning is that if ethanol production suddenly drops, we might see an interesting change in the price of pump gas- for the better.

M240H on December 28, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Let it curdle.

Curtiss on December 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Well bho did it again! Another eo to increase biden/congress/fed workers pay! And we wonder why we are going over the cliff, bho is seeing to it every minute daily!

I am so mad reading this I could spit and then throw up!

L

letget on December 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Your puny attempts at humor are curdling my beer…

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Any who skims this thread will enjoy my posts.

Nick_Angel on December 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Yeah, that sounds like a great idea! Let’s be the ones to make milk prices double!

It’ll show people how unhelpful government intrusion is in their daily lives, cutting their milk prices by more than half. It’s obvious people will come to that conclusion, that their lives are much better off paying more for milk.

Genuine on December 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM

But Beer prices will remain stable….right?

RIGHT???

Tim_CA on December 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM

You, sir, are shouting FIRE in a crowded theater! Not cool!

JimLennon on December 28, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I’d like to wipe them out and start all over again, and …

should have stopped about halfway through. Let’s not ‘start over again’ and say we did, mkay?
and as for ethanol, puhleeze spare us ruining food for ruining perfectly useful motors

mickytx on December 28, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Na, not a bannable offense, a good branding ought to suffice. o_O

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Nah. Some of these are terrible. You get the fire; I’ll get the steaks. :)

I like these cliffs. Are there more?!

EddieC on December 28, 2012 at 2:11 PM

You get to enjoy all of them but the last one.

Axe on December 28, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Anyone who skims this thread will enjoy my posts.

Nick_Angel on December 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Damn me for not previewing.

Nick_Angel on December 28, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Damn me for not previewing.

Nick_Angel on December 28, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Yeah, you should have skimmed it.

22044 on December 28, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Okay, I’m going to try this again…

M240H on December 28, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Ok, one more time then. Milk cows eat corn, ethanol is made out of corn. change the price of corn, change the availability of corn, change the price of milk. The Fed just mandated that ethanol in gasoline be increased to 15% from 10% that is a 50% increase in the amount of ethanol used in gasoline, it represents a considerable decrease in the amount of corn available to feed milk cows, price of corn goes up, price of milk goes up accordingly. Ethanol production is NOT going to suddenly decrease since the EPA has required a 50% increase in the amount blended into gasoline.

Are you getting it yet?

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Any who skims this thread will enjoy my posts.

Nick_Angel on December 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM

They are the cream of the crop.

(just banned myself for that one)

Tim_CA on December 28, 2012 at 2:43 PM

They are the cream of the crop.

(just banned myself for that one)

Tim_CA on December 28, 2012 at 2:43 PM

They should be whipped.

Nick_Angel on December 28, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Good thing I have my own beer brewing kit… o_O

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 2:23 PM

But do you also grow your own barley and hops?

dentarthurdent on December 28, 2012 at 2:44 PM

The wife and I have been talking about raising chickens, hogs and beef cows now I think we will need to add a dairy cow into the mix.

chemman on December 28, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I like these cliffs. Are there more?!

EddieC on December 28, 2012 at 2:11 PM

One can only hope.

BigGator5 on December 28, 2012 at 2:45 PM

blah,blah,blah…short term “fiscal cliff” fix coming…postpone, delay…it is all BS.
All a scam by Congress and White House to raise taxes, but deflect blame to the “fiscal cliff”.

Vote them all out.

albill on December 28, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I like these cliffs. Are there more?!

EddieC on December 28, 2012 at 2:11 PM

davidk on December 28, 2012 at 2:46 PM

22044 on December 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Aldi rocks. At mine at least the milk is all dated at least 15 days into the future too!

And this I think points out that the “middle man” part of this whole scenario can’t really be overlooked. The stores themselves will make the rise an inconsistent thing for most. Knowing their M.O. over the past couple of years, Wegman’s for instance will likely keep the price low as they’ve done for most of their staple items, as those are the lure to get shoppers in the door who then spend $24 on their gourmet homemade deluxe goat milk and squid ink cupcakes. Other smaller local stores won’t be so lucky. Milk will go up to $5 there and they’ll be forced to price more business out the door…

Of course, as with the fiscal cliff I think this is all just small time panicking. Cut this or that by $.30 and let government pat themselves on the back for a job well done, while Obamacare is set to make every current cost, every current debt, every current tax seem like so much piddling nickel and dime nonsense in comparison.

Gingotts on December 28, 2012 at 2:46 PM

If I’m not mistaken, the price hike will be due to a “subsidy”. The “permanent law” establishes a floor on the amount farmers get paid for certain dairy products; recent amendments to the law have rendered that “floor” inactive. When the amendments expire next week, the subsidies are put back in effect (I.e government will have to buy a bunch of milk at the old “floor” prices. Then distributors will buy that govt-owned milk at higher-than-usual cost OR they will deal with a shrinking supply base–both of which will drive up prices)

johnny alpha on December 28, 2012 at 2:47 PM

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 2:23 PM

But do you also grow your own barley and hops?

dentarthurdent on December 28, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I live in rural Southern California, barley is amazingly plentiful here (horse feed) and oddly enough, I live right down the road from a Hop’s Orchard. Both are surprisingly cheap here… o_O

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Are you getting it yet?

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I think so: We’re screwed?

davidk on December 28, 2012 at 2:49 PM

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 2:43 PM

It’s also a component of Poultry Feed and Dog food.

Tim_CA on December 28, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I live in rural Southern California, barley is amazingly plentiful here (horse feed) and oddly enough, I live right down the road a skip and a jump from a Hop’s Orchard. Both are surprisingly cheap here… o_O

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I’m sorry.

Nick_Angel on December 28, 2012 at 2:50 PM

squid ink cupcakes.

Gingotts on December 28, 2012 at 2:46 PM

mmmmm.

davidk on December 28, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Genuine on December 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM

People have already come to the conclusion that their lives are much better off paying less taxes. Milk subsidy is nothing but another form of welfare, aimed to redistribute money from the taxpayers to the parasites.

Archivarix on December 28, 2012 at 2:50 PM

So the same country that re-elected President Obama, is going to see the milk prices double and come to the conclusion that less government involvement is better?

I respectfully disagree.

The people will clamor for action, NBC will run stories on some poor people that cannot afford milk anymore, Chris Matthews will scream racism, and the subsidies will return.

jjjdad on December 28, 2012 at 2:51 PM

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Does the same thing for bacon. :)

JohnTant on December 28, 2012 at 2:51 PM

msmveritas on December 28, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Where was this that the cashier was discussing politics with the customer? Stupid, and it would be even if she were on our side… either way she’s set on annoying and driving away half of the business of the store.

Gingotts on December 28, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Are you getting it yet?

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Got it, Champ. Well aware that cows eat corn, being that I live in a dairy state. What you seem to be missing is that the production of ethanol is federally subsidized to maintain a profit for the corporate agribusinesses that Ms. Johnsen discusses above. And I’m well aware of the EPA mandate to ‘enhance’ the blend. However, production of ethanol is not mandated; if profitability wands, so will production.

My only question is in what piece of legislation/budgeting is the subsidization of ethanol production slated.

M240H on December 28, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Gingotts on December 28, 2012 at 2:46 PM

lol.

Pretty good price. I pay $32.50

Tim_CA on December 28, 2012 at 2:56 PM

milk prices set to soar

darwin on December 28, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Heh. Don’t give ‘em any ideas …

I can see the Federal Government responding to this crisis with the Moo Juice Policy and Conservation Act (MJPCA) that, among numerous other unrelated bureaucratic bumblings, will create a Strategic Moo Juice Reserve (SMJR) to counter severe supply interruptions.

An honorary amendment in Ted Kennedy’s name though — to increase welfare payments to mothers of newborns for adding to the supply — would likely fail owing to public protest; however, for all we know, it could always be written into the regulations for ObamaCare …

ShainS on December 28, 2012 at 2:57 PM

The doubling of the price of milk IS the subsidies. You have to get rid of the subsidies to get the milk price back down. But that will be lost on the left and the Barky crowd, no doubt. They will just demand that subsidies also be given to people to make up for the cost of the subsidies given to milk producers that bring the price into the stratosphere. SO the feral government will end up subsidizing both sides of the transaction, the way they like to do it.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 28, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Any who skims this thread will enjoy my posts.

Nick_Angel on December 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM

They are the cream of the crop.

(just banned myself for that one)

Tim_CA on December 28, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Naahhh – you guys are going to milk this as far as you can…..

Sorry – just could not stop my fingers….

dentarthurdent on December 28, 2012 at 2:57 PM

wands>wanes

M240H on December 28, 2012 at 2:58 PM

This is the liberal concept of ‘leveling the playing field’.

Liam on December 28, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Naahhh – you guys are going to milk this as far as you can…..

Sorry – just could not stop my fingers….

dentarthurdent on December 28, 2012 at 2:57 PM

No problem. Now back to the issue at hand. Why the complaints? The lack of a farm bill will only be a problem for the top 1%.

Nick_Angel on December 28, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Sorry – just could not stop my fingers….

dentarthurdent on December 28, 2012 at 2:57 PM

It’s a disease.

We should apply for Federal Aid.

Tim_CA on December 28, 2012 at 2:59 PM

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 2:43 PM

It’s also a component of Poultry Feed and Dog food.

Tim_CA on December 28, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Except that I can buy it at the feed store as rolled barley w/ molasses in the 50 pound bag for around $20.00.

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 3:00 PM

If po’ black folk can’t afford milk because of their crack habit, then we honkies aren’t allowed milk, either.

Liam on December 28, 2012 at 3:01 PM

It’s a disease.
We should apply for Federal Aid.

Tim_CA on December 28, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Develop a good syndrome name and we can get gubmint disability for it – maybe handicap parking too….
Could we also get special handicap web privileges?

dentarthurdent on December 28, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Real beer drinkers don’t whine, they get a pitchfork and a torch…

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Nah, they brew their own. I like beer, but not enough to make it myself.

Lightswitch on December 28, 2012 at 3:02 PM

jjjdad on December 28, 2012 at 2:51 PM

There should only be subsidies for chocolate milk.

Affirmative Action Dairy Producers unite!

weaselyone on December 28, 2012 at 3:03 PM

However, production of ethanol is not mandated; if profitability wanes
M240H on December 28, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Yea, bout that, you are mistaken. The EPA mandate has nothing to do with profitability, it is a so called “Green” greenhouse gas and Carbon sequestering initiative.

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Nah, they brew their own. I like beer, but not enough to make it myself.

Lightswitch on December 28, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Ya me too – I prefer to leave the brewing to the pros, and I’ll take care of the disposal end of the process – where I have more experience….

dentarthurdent on December 28, 2012 at 3:04 PM

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 3:00 PM

sounds like the granola bars the wife eats!

Tim_CA on December 28, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Tim_CA on December 28, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Could we also get special handicap web privileges?

dentarthurdent on December 28, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Attrocious-puninities compleximus. ?That ought to be worth several fed grants… ;)

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Liam on December 28, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Just a reminder, I could point out a few white folks here in town who are very happy to spend our tax money on booze, cigs, and pot.

Lightswitch on December 28, 2012 at 3:06 PM

As a midwestern farmer’s daughter, I say – LET THE FARMERS FARM WITHOUT A FARM BILL! Watch & see which farmers will survive without subsidies. Wasteful Government subsidies for ethanol, “Wind Farms”, “Solar Farms”, “Green and Organic Farms” should be scrapped. If your product is good enough to stand on its own, it shouldn’t need the taxpayer hand-out to keep it afloat. And if it isn’t. Maybe farming isn’t your thing, Sonny. Trust me, real farmers will do just fine without a Farm Bill. Also, one of the largest problems with the farm bill is that it gets grouped with the FDA… that’s right FOOD STAMPS get buried into it, among other “pork” that isn’t actually swine-related.

justjulie20 on December 28, 2012 at 3:06 PM