Sure sounds like that fiscal cliff summit ended badly; Update: Obama wants vote on his plan if Senate can’t reach deal

posted at 5:10 pm on December 28, 2012 by Allahpundit

No comment yet from the Republican side, but I’m thinking … this doesn’t bode well:

Pelosi said afterward that she thought the meeting was “candid” and “constructive” and “moved us forward, so yeah — bad vibes galore.

Oh, and contrary to this morning’s expectations, Obama reportedly did not plan to float a new offer at the meeting. His strategy was to ask Boehner, McConnell, Reid, and Pelosi for a viable counterproposal and, if none was offered, to then request an up-or-down vote on his old offer of tax hikes on earners who make $250,000 or more. Which makes sense: As I’ve explained ad nauseam, he really has no incentive to compromise before January 1. He’s now basically daring Boehner to let the GOP caucus vote down his plan before Tuesday — the “Obama middle-class tax cuts,” as I assume he’ll now be calling it — and then let the media go to work on them if they do. And if they don’t, if he gets 30 Republicans to cave and join Democrats in passing this thing, then he’ll have furthered his secondary goal of driving a wedge in the House GOP caucus.

Via the Daily Caller, here’s Krauthammer last night grimly saluting Obama for his skill in achieving that secondary goal. Stand by for updates as congressional aides start whispering about what really happened at today’s meeting.

Update: The One speaketh. 5:45 p.m. ET.

Update: Hmmmm.

Update: Looks like the baton has been formally handed to Reid:

Update: Key bit from O’s presser: He’ll let Reid and McConnell try to reach a deal on the income threshold for tax hikes, but if they can’t then he wants Reid to bring the Obama plan for tax increases on everyone who makes $250K or more up for a vote. That’s a win/win/win situation for him potentially if it comes to that. Could be that he’ll get enough panicky Republican votes in both chambers to actually pass the thing at the last minute. Could be that Senate Republicans will filibuster it, in which case he gets to blame the GOP. Or it could be that the Senate will pass it with Republican votes and then the House GOP will kill it, in which case he gets to blame the GOP and tout the fact that those darned “tea-party radicals” wouldn’t approve a bill that even Senate Republicans voted for.

Per that last point, the real angle here, I think, is to use the Senate as leverage against the House. If O’s bill (or the Reid/McConnell bill) passes the upper chamber, it’ll place all the pressure of avoiding the cliff on the House and give Republican fencesitters there some bipartisan cover to vote for it.

Update: A little extra pressure from O on Boehner and McConnell, bully-pulpit style:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

It started badly too, so…

MikeA on December 28, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Kabuki with a purpose.

Simonsez on December 28, 2012 at 5:14 PM

AND who would have thought otherwise? bho has NO intentions of doing anything but see to it the r’s are NO MORE and going over the cliff so he can blame the r’s? bho just came back to get his worthless face and voice doing something after months/years doing squat!

GO for it dc, bho wants it and now he will own it! Afterall, WE do have bho(I won) don’t we?
L

letget on December 28, 2012 at 5:16 PM

I honestly suspect the President, the pundits, and the media are being too smart by a half. What has compromise or anything brought the GOP, they think Republicans have been tough, now wait and see as the situation disintegrates further.

rob verdi on December 28, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Boner is so…..flaccid.

Tim_CA on December 28, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Don’t blame me…its all the gops fault
-dear leader

cmsinaz on December 28, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Update: The One speaketh. 5:45 p.m. ET.

Time to have a movementof the bowels…

Seven Percent Solution on December 28, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Still think we win if we go over the cliff, locking in the spending cuts in the sequester, then pass a bill in the house that gives averyone below $500,000 the expired Bush tax cut rates.

Yes, yes, I know: “But what about the DOD cuts?!?!” Tough. Like a lot of Vets, I’m convinced the DOD can cut for a thousand years and still have more money lost in the seat cushions than the rest of the budget combined. Adapt and overcome.

2ndMAW68 on December 28, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Update: The One speaketh. 5:45 p.m. ET.

THE mute anytime bho is on! I will not listen to that lying worm!
L

letget on December 28, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Apparently the only progress made today was Obama signing an executive order granting Biden and Congreess pay increases (See Drudge and Malkin).

How about a petition for an executive order to halt any pay, not just raises, no pay til they do their jobs, to Congress or their staff untill a budget is passed?

If it got 25,000 signatures the White House would have to address it.

talkingpoints on December 28, 2012 at 5:20 PM

VOTE PRESENT and be done with this.

cdog0613 on December 28, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Wait, he couldn’t get the GOP to agree on $1M but yet some nimrod thinks they’ll jump at a $400k?

Someone needs to put the crack pipe down.

ButterflyDragon on December 28, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Let it burn, I am tired about hearing about this fiscal cliff bs talks. Just let the tax cuts for everyone EXPIRE and let Obama own it. F negotiating with him. Obama is a radical zealot, and he is embolden by his win. His narcissism and ego won’t allow him to compromise.

Let it freaking burn, and be done with it.

Raquel Pinkbullet on December 28, 2012 at 5:22 PM

I certainly hope we are never again attacked by a hostile power . . . we’d be overwhelmed and beaten before this gaggle of political misfits in the current administration and congress could agree on what action to take. Absolutely disgusting. Doesn’t it make you proud to be an American?

rplat on December 28, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Barry never had any other plan. That would require thinking outside the socialist box.

GarandFan on December 28, 2012 at 5:25 PM

I wonder how this whole thing would have played out if we had a strong competent house and senate GOP leadership? For once I would like to see Obama and the Dem comgressional leadership get their butts handed too them.

ChunkyLover on December 28, 2012 at 5:25 PM

My thoughts exactly butterfly

cmsinaz on December 28, 2012 at 5:25 PM

2ndMAW68 on December 28, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Not sure they could cut for quite that long, but I do agree with your thesis.

rplat on December 28, 2012 at 5:26 PM

ROFL. can’t believe peopoe still think something won’t get done.

unseen on December 28, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Obama to make statement at 5:45

“blah, blah republicans, blah, blah, blah”

Republican response: Thank you, Sir, May I have another.

davidk on December 28, 2012 at 5:27 PM

John, “Obama’s hand-puppet Bonehead” Boehner has the upper hand and the ability to get anything he wants out of Obama. This is all 100 percent a deception.

——————————————————————-

Obama: Give me what I want.

Bonehead: No, not only that, no more continuing resolutions, nobody gets paid until we get a straight up 30% spending reduction and a new flat tax.

Obama: No you can’t do that.

Bonehead: Kiss my ass, you have my offer.

——————————————————————-

John Boenher and the GOP are every bit as guilty of destroying America as Obama and the god damned DeMarxists are. And they both are working together on it.

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 5:28 PM

The sun will rise. The sun will set.

portlandon on December 28, 2012 at 5:30 PM

ROFL. can’t believe peopoe still think something won’t get done.

unseen on December 28, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Oh, they’ll pull out a last minute deal which will be heralded as they “Best we can do in such short notice” and it will equal to kicking the can down the street.

And low-info voters will say, “Thank you, Sirs. May we have another?”

davidk on December 28, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Update: The One speaketh. 5:45 p.m. ET.

Over/under on the number of times the TOTUS-induced, dreaded “I”-word appears and is spoken?

Of course, there’s no telling how long the drone will drone on and what he’ll talk about (aside from his favorite person), but I’ll say approximately 3 times/minute = 45 times/15-minutes = 180 times/hour …

ShainS on December 28, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Why isn’t Boehner giving a speech & not take questions afterwards?

Newt, teach this guy, will you?

portlandon on December 28, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Sure sounds like that fiscal cliff summit ended badly

Anything that creates logical consequences and provides clarity sound like a good ending to me.

Bruno Strozek on December 28, 2012 at 5:31 PM

And what if Boehner refuses to bring up any such tax proposal to the House floor for a vote? Aren’t tax proposals supposed to originate in the House?

I personally believe the media/Dems are overplaying their hand. They assumed Boehner’s Plan B would pass… but it failed miserably. They might be in for a similar shock if conservatives in the House should hold their ground.

Republicans have nothing to lose since we’ve been told ad nauseum that we will carry all the blame no matter how it ends. So why should we care?

Let…it…burn…

TheRightMan on December 28, 2012 at 5:32 PM

cmsinaz on December 28, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Looks like we get to see how Thelma and Louisereally ends..:)

PS..Hope you and yours had a Merry Christmas..:)

Dire Straits on December 28, 2012 at 5:32 PM

portlandon on December 28, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Because boehner feels he might break down and not be able to answer questions? It requires a spine and me thinks boehner has a spine of a jellyfish!
L

letget on December 28, 2012 at 5:34 PM

The people voted for a big government, so the people must pay for a big government.

Deafdog on December 28, 2012 at 5:36 PM

As opposed to what?

I’ve never seen something that so much effort was spent negotiating themselves into (the sequester, in order to allow barky and the dems to continue their wild spending through the election campaign) that everyone is terrified of having to live with, including the idiots who negotiated it and voted for it, to begin with.

This is really pathetic.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 28, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Nevermind all this fiscal cliff trivia. The price of milk is going up and people can still buy handguns. By God, something must be done!

Fenris on December 28, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Lets go over the cliff. These compromises make our insane tax system even more progressive, i.e. unjust. Why would we help Democrats with their “dont worry about Big Government, somebody else will pay for it”-policies? The height of tax rates is at best a secondary issue these days. The essential íssue is tax-equality.

Valkyriepundit on December 28, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Dire Straits on December 28, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Yes indeedy DS :)

yes, we did, hope yours went very well too….

cmsinaz on December 28, 2012 at 5:39 PM

where is boehner??? why won’t he come out and speak

seriously

cmsinaz on December 28, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Let…it…burn…

TheRightMan on December 28, 2012 at 5:32 PM

THIS

cmsinaz on December 28, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Liar liar pants on fire. Whatever he says.

rayra on December 28, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Obama to make statement at 5:45

I smell a big box of “blame others” and a MSM that has been, and will continue to help Obama achieve the blame game.

I get a kick out of the media. They seem to follow the same patterns every time:

1) A crisis liberals have been waiting for.

2) Forward talking points and agenda to media outlets, so they understand how to report and what talking points to use. Media in turn, floods the networks and internet coverage with stories based upon those talking points and agenda.

3) After a few weeks of carrying water for the POTUS, media commission polls to see how effective their efforts have been.

4) Release the polls to the public to show that the public is on the side of the President (when in fact, the polls are really for the media to judge how effective they have been in conveying the agenda of the POTUS.)

5) POTUS then uses same polls in a speech to show America is on his side and that others should be thinking the same way.

Same strategy every time. Ray Charles could see it.

BruthaMan on December 28, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Boner is so…..flaccid.

Tim_CA on December 28, 2012 at 5:16 PM

/mine is a giddy high-pitched Amadeus-like laugh

rayra on December 28, 2012 at 5:42 PM

The issue has been and remains the inability (add your own adjective) of the GOP to communicate effectively in the mass media.

Having a media controlled 90% by liberal Democrats and backed by the entire non-news media world and academia is an overwhelming obstacle, no doubt, but the GOP does not overcome any aspect of that disadvantage, and that’s crippling. This gives Idiot Obama the secure knowledge that no matter what the consequences of his insane policies, the Republicans end up taking the blame.

In the end, we have the absurd spectacle of his millionaire television media dopes running his class war against millionaires…and winning. I have heard the nitwit arguments against “the rich” from all corners of my social contacts. I guess I don’t know enough “rich” people.

Jaibones on December 28, 2012 at 5:42 PM

cmsinaz on December 28, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Goood deal..Ours went well..:)

PS..Boehner will wait (I am guessing) till tomorrow..Let Obie do his thing..:(

Dire Straits on December 28, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Please bear in mind that anything coming from John Harwood will be what the Obama folks want us to hear. He is just a mouthpiece masquerading as a journalist.

blue13326 on December 28, 2012 at 5:44 PM

VOTE BOEHNER OUT AS SPEAKER!
The guy is an incompetent wuss!

michaelo on December 28, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I’m looking forward to seeing us all go over the cliff. Who needs all of that defense money, anyway? And as far as paying more taxes; who cares? I don’t, and it’s gonna cost me almost an extra $4000. Let the donks own the damn thing. Either the GOP stands for something worth our time or they can suck air. I’m never going to support them again until they become conservatives. REAL conservatives.

HiJack on December 28, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Dire Straits on December 28, 2012 at 5:44 PM

cmsinaz on December 28, 2012 at 5:46 PM

blue13326 on December 28, 2012 at 5:44 PM

cmsinaz on December 28, 2012 at 5:47 PM

VOTE BOEHNER OUT AS SPEAKER!
The guy is an incompetent wuss!

michaelo on December 28, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I can count on one hand, maybe one finger, all of the competent wusses in Congress.

HiJack on December 28, 2012 at 5:47 PM

You couldn’t make me watch the president give a presser on this if you hung me by my feet and stuck toothpicks in my eyes. I don’t watch him anymore, he turns my stomach. I’ll read HA or Drudge to see how good a negotiator he’s been. Hahahah, right…

scalleywag on December 28, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Which means that he’ll take the podium at 6:15

vcferlita on December 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM

We are already heading into another recession. It’s just not official yet. Just tell the public that you have tried to reason with dems and know the media will be against republicans no matter what they do. Then vote “present” and let the dems and the president own the results. The public won’t understand why republicans were against it until the voters experience it.

MechanicalBill on December 28, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Still think we win if we go over the cliff, locking in the spending cuts in the sequester.

2ndMAW68 on December 28, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Edited your remarks more to my liking. I took out this part:

“then pass a bill in the house that gives averyone below $500,000 the expired Bush tax cut rates.”

Why is that necessary? Someone has to pay for Obama’s utopia. “The wealthy’s” loss of the Bush tax cuts only pays for about 8 days of spending. Besides, tax cuts don’t help the economy, food stamps and unemployment benefits do, said every Democrat opposed to the Bush tax cuts.

Fallon on December 28, 2012 at 5:51 PM

where is boehner??? why won’t he come out and speak

seriously

cmsinaz on December 28, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Sounds to me like he’s made his statement.

scalleywag on December 28, 2012 at 5:51 PM

SSDD from dear leader….

cmsinaz on December 28, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I think the Simpsons are on then – I’ll edge my bets with Homer.

gophergirl on December 28, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Watch VT versus Rutgers………

It will be more entertaining.

Or the shot game, every time the one refers to himself…..

Drink.

RealMc on December 28, 2012 at 5:52 PM

scalleywag on December 28, 2012 at 5:51 PM

cmsinaz on December 28, 2012 at 5:52 PM

If I were Boehner and I had walked into that summit Obama called to find he had no intention of offering anything new, I’d have turned around and walked out. Obama just wanted him there to be a political punching bag, Boehner should have seen that coming.

Socratease on December 28, 2012 at 5:53 PM

damn……Look at all that GRAY ……

since November no less.

RealMc on December 28, 2012 at 5:53 PM

cmsinaz on December 28, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Boehner might allow Obie’s plan to be voted on and the GOP vote present and punt it over to Reid..:)

Dire Straits on December 28, 2012 at 5:53 PM

‘guys, i can hear you over there’
translation, do not speak while I speak idiots

-dear leader

cmsinaz on December 28, 2012 at 5:54 PM

All a sham.
The day after or so they will vote to reinstate everything back to where it was…or some other “kick the can down the road” deal.

But in their hearts they ALL want to raise taxes so they can spend more.

Or Obama will just issue an executive order not to follow the “fiscal cliff” rules.

albill on December 28, 2012 at 5:54 PM

gophergirl on December 28, 2012 at 5:52 PM

What about the Vikings??..:)

Dire Straits on December 28, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Obama: “for the past couple of months I’ve asked the rich to pay a little more than their fair share”

“We must prevent this tax hike on the middle class”

“If the Senate can’t reach an agreement, then I’m asking for an up or down vote ON MY PLAN”

“The American people are watching”

More Bull!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rovin on December 28, 2012 at 5:54 PM

HiJack on December 28, 2012 at 5:46 PM

That’s just it, though…the donks won’t own it. The GOP will…they will have stood for “obstruction” and tax hikes on everyone to protect millionaires or whatever. Taxes are going up one way or another, and the GOP is caught between a rock and a hard place.

changer1701 on December 28, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Update: Looks like the baton has been formally handed to Reid:

Which is what should have been done 100 years ago when they ignored putting together a budget.

kim roy on December 28, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Dire Straits on December 28, 2012 at 5:53 PM

im ok with that :)

cmsinaz on December 28, 2012 at 5:56 PM

What about the Vikings??..:)

Dire Straits on December 28, 2012 at 5:54 PM

My Gophers are on tonight – ESPN – first bowl game in years :)

Vikings game is going to be fierce – Packers and Vikings do not like each other.

gophergirl on December 28, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Rovin on December 28, 2012 at 5:54 PM

yepper

cmsinaz on December 28, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Middle class families don’t really exist. We’re all Americans. Flat tax!

Fallon on December 28, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Oblahblah just spoke…

… not a word about cutting spending.

Just bullsh%t blame game and lies…

Seven Percent Solution on December 28, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Boehner staffers arrived back at the Capitol and said @SpeakerBoehner is not coming back here today.

Pathetic gop leadership either CAN’T POUR PISS OUT OF A BOOT and EFFECTIVELY COMMUNICATE (which is a huge part of their job)

…or..

THEY ARE IN ON IT (and want the cuts to take effect, and then come back and do a deal with Obama and seem reasonable).

Either way…….resign immediately.

PappyD61 on December 28, 2012 at 5:58 PM

President says congress members should be allowed to vote, that’s the way it works. House passes bill. Senate refuses to vote on it. Media blames Republican house.

Fenris on December 28, 2012 at 5:58 PM

If you are outwitted and outmaneuvered by a bunch of 3rd rate Socialists then you don’t deserve to be speaker. If he doesn’t come out and win the battle of public perception on this thing today then he should resign tomorrow. I don’t care if the media is against you. It’s high time we who have dutifully swallowed hard and voted Republican have some competent leadership at the top of the party.

I know it won’t matter too much. The last election showed the country as we knew it has been lost. Bit if nothing else we will need some leadership in the Red states that we inherit in the ultimate coming divorce.

Rockshine on December 28, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Where the crap are the tea party true limited government CONSERVATIVES to argue the case?

stand up and be counted.

PappyD61 on December 28, 2012 at 5:59 PM

The Republicans are absolutely pathetic. That they’ve allowed themselves to be played by this crypto-Marxist parvenu again and again and again is unbelievable. I hope they self-liquidate. The only point of their existence seems to be to absorb blame for everything that goes wrong. At this point I think it’s better for the country to have no GOP at all. Just let Obama do what he wants and let an organic resistance take shape. It can’t do worse than these impotent clowns.

rrpjr on December 28, 2012 at 6:00 PM

No talk of the debt ceiling; not a penny of spending cuts; just more of the same bullsh!t about “the richest Americans”.

Obama is the most irresponsible President in American history, a buffoon and ignoramus who has increased the Federal debt by over $5 Trillion in less than four years.

He should be impeached.

Jaibones on December 28, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Just bullsh%t blame game and lies…

Seven Percent Solution on December 28, 2012 at 5:58 PM

yepper

Fenris on December 28, 2012 at 5:58 PM

yepper

cmsinaz on December 28, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Boehner should have come out, gone right to the microphones and said, ‘the Marxist in Chief demanded the same crap. We decline. Whatever he says in the next two hours is an outright lie.’. And then just walked away.

rayra on December 28, 2012 at 6:00 PM

House passes bill. Senate refuses to vote on it. Media blames Republican house.

Fenris on December 28, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Bing.

Jaibones on December 28, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Hand it off to do-nothing Harry Reid.

Fiscal Cliff, here we come!

ajacksonian on December 28, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Reid’s bill will prevent tax hikes for “middle class” taxpayers… and enact cap-and-trade in the fine print.

Or a poison pill of some kind. Bet your bippie on it.

petefrt on December 28, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Oblahblah just spoke…

… not a word about cutting spending.

Just bullsh%t blame game and lies…

Seven Percent Solution on December 28, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I also hate the improper use of ellipses.

hawkdriver on December 28, 2012 at 5:27 PM

uh oh :P

tom daschle concerned on December 28, 2012 at 6:01 PM

It’s a game. Create a crisis. Place blame. Move the goalposts. Deconstruct America.

Fallon on December 28, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Jaibones on December 28, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I think we have a winner in fenris

cmsinaz on December 28, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Fallon on December 28, 2012 at 5:57 PM

A flat-tax still requires the IRS to invade our financial privacy, and for no good reason because the fair-tax doesn’t require a corruptible, invasive bureaucracy.

FloatingRock on December 28, 2012 at 6:02 PM

All that the Republicans have to say– over and over– is that Obysmal intends to offer the middle class the tax cuts (rates) that they have been enjoying under the Bush tax cuts (rates)… and that offer is only good for a year.

onlineanalyst on December 28, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Please bear in mind that anything coming from John Harwood EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THE MEDIA</strong will be what the Obama folks want us to hear. He isTHEY ARE ALL just a mouthpieceS masquerading as a journalist.

blue13326 on December 28, 2012 at 5:44 PM

FIFY

Myron Falwell on December 28, 2012 at 6:03 PM

rrpjr on December 28, 2012 at 6:00 PM

That’s about it in a nutshell.

kim roy on December 28, 2012 at 6:03 PM

why aren’t any of the idiot gop reminding people that anyone making above 50K will be paying more taxes?

heard a teacher whining about that today. its working out to about $200.00 less a month for him. i laughed inside.

suffer sucka!!!!

renalin on December 28, 2012 at 6:04 PM

gophergirl on December 28, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Sounds like you will be watching some football..:)

Dire Straits on December 28, 2012 at 6:04 PM

House passes bill. Senate refuses to vote on it. Media blames Republican house.

Fenris on December 28, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Vegas wouldn’t even accept odds on that. You’d lose a ton of money even if you won…

Myron Falwell on December 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM

You have to pass the bill before you know what’s in it

Philo Beddoe on December 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Sounds like you will be watching some football..:)

Dire Straits on December 28, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Better than watching the country implode that’s for sure.

gophergirl on December 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM