Are you ready for the big fiscal cliff summit?

posted at 12:31 pm on December 28, 2012 by Allahpundit

3 p.m. ET in the White House. No reporters, no cameras, just five people sitting around a table wasting each other’s time while an excruciatingly bored pundit class waits for smoke signals afterward.

This is the part of the Scooby Doo episode where Shaggy and Scoob get chased by the “monster.” I wonder how it’ll end.

Lawmakers seemed as pessimistic as ever about averting the fiscal cliff Thursday evening despite the White House scheduling a meeting with the top four congressional leaders for Friday afternoon.

The White House announced that President Barack Obama would meet with Speaker John A. Boehner, R-Ohio; House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif.; Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev.; and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky…

Republican Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., said the GOP had expected the White House to deliver a new proposal Thursday, which never arrived, and that the meeting with the White House was originally supposed to be in the morning and was later pushed to the afternoon. Corker said that suggests to him the meeting might be more for “optics” than for cutting a deal, and he said it’s becoming more likely that the next Congress will have to deal with the cliff. The failure to address a problem two years in the making is a total “dereliction of duty,” Corker said.

Two obvious possibilities. One is that they’ll try to hash out a short-term deal that will extend the Bush tax cuts across the board for another few months while they continue broader negotiations, possibly including tax reform. Why jump off a fiscal cliff today when you can jump off another in the spring? A short-term fix might appeal to both sides since Boehner won’t have to worry about the upcoming Speaker election and O will have more Dems in the House and Senate to add to his leverage. Two is that Obama might unspool that last-minute “scaled-back” plan that people were whispering about yesterday but which never happened. According to Politico, Republicans are saying privately that they want Obama to up his offer on the new threshold for tax hikes from $250,000 to $500,000. (One Republican senator told NRO that a bill with a $500K cut-off would pass both chambers.) I don’t know why he’d do that now when he can dive off the cliff next week and then give a big speech proposing “the Obama middle-class tax cut” for those who earn less than $250K. House Democrats would support it unanimously (or nearly unanimously) and there’d likely be 30 panicked Republicans willing to join them.

Just one hitch, though: If you believe Boehner, he won’t bring any bill to the floor unless a majority of the Republican caucus supports it.

On the packed GOP members-only call, Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., asked Boehner, R-Ohio, whether he would allow Democrats to carry a bill if the Senate passed a bill to which most House Republicans would object.

“I’m not interested in that,” Boehner remarked, according to a source on the call.

The speaker’s intention to stay steadfast means a rocky final stretch before Congress plummets off the fiscal cliff. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada tried to put pressure right back on Boehner by asking him to take up the bill the Senate passed earlier this year that extends the 2001 and 2003 tax rates on the first $250,000 of American’s annual income.

Could be he’s lying and just saying that now in order to pressure Obama into upping his offer, but having committed to it publicly, it’d be hard for him to walk away later. Question, then: How does Boehner get Obama to come off his $250,000 offer when O will have more leverage by going over the cliff, not less? One possible answer is to sweeten the pot by agreeing to raise the debt ceiling for another year. But could Boehner get a majority of Republicans to go along with that? Supposedly he had around 180-190 votes for Plan B; how many more would he lose for a compromise bill with Obama that lowers Plan B’s threshold for new taxes from $1 million to $500K and gives O what he wants on the debt ceiling?

Exit question via Marc Thiessen: Why not let it burn instead?

Update: HuffPo’s hearing rumbles that Obama will indeed make a “scaled-back” proposal at the meeting:

House Republicans expect Obama may offer to extend the Bush-era tax rates for incomes under $400,000, as he had done previously before negotiations blew up. The president had originally argued that any scaled-back deal should set that threshold at $250,000. Republicans still may insist that it be set at $500,000.

In addition, Republicans would be granted an extension of the current estate tax, which is a 35 percent rate over a $5 million threshold. The president wants a 45 percent rate on a $3.5 million threshold but would likely be willing to bend, in part because congressional Democrats are skittish about his proposal.

The deal would include an extension of unemployment benefits and various tax breaks for businesses and lower-income workers. In a concession to Republicans, it would not include the infrastructure funding that the president has requested to help stimulate economic growth. It would also allow the current payroll tax cut to expire, meaning that individuals would see larger withholdings in their paychecks.

The deal would delay sequestration, which if left in place would result in roughly $1 trillion in spending cuts over the next decade. It would leave the debt ceiling issue unresolved.

O’s going to come off of his $250K offer and hand the debt-ceiling issue back to the GOP so that we can go through another standoff over spending cuts in the spring? I know how I’d vote on that if I were a Republican legislator. And I know how I’d vote on it if I were a Democratic one.

Update: Hmmmm:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

There will be no deal. Obama wants to go over the cliff. Not one of his proposals has been even the slightest bit serious. “Give me huge tax increases, unilateral borrowing power, and no spending cuts whatsoever” is not a serious position in the face of trillion dollar annual deficits and a fragile economy.

wildcat72 on December 28, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Let it burn

cmsinaz on December 28, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Gop bashing to continue

cmsinaz on December 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Yup, I am firmly in the “Let it Burn” camp now. It’s the only way to wake up the Obama faithful. Only when it eats their lifestyle alive will they understand.

Dianne Feinstein wants to violate the US Constitution. Yea, real shocker…

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Let the country go into default right along with all the tax increases, AMT patches and the other mechanisms designed to stimulate the economy . Let’s see just how far Obama is willing to go to make a point. Painful . . . of course, but necessary to save the Republic.

rplat on December 28, 2012 at 12:39 PM

this is our fault

wash, rinse, spit, repeat.

ted c on December 28, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Kabuki remade into a Scooby Doo episode

ted c on December 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Half of 200 and 1 mil is 600k. Unless Obama comes up to that, it should be no deal.

600k, extend estate taxes for 3 years at current level, negotiate divident rates to something resembling fair, concede closure of certain loopholes for additional revenue, raise SS age, cuts equal to debt ceiling increase, get agreement to reform tax code and medicaid/care, and find a way to put Obamacare on the table.

If Boehner can do that, I would be okay with the result. It’s a shame that Boehner has no clue how much leverage he has though, and he cant make that happen.

milcus on December 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Let them go over the cliff, heads first, Obama, Boehner and Reid leading the way.

Obama hates the middle class. Let them suffer and realize how he snookered them.

Note to Feinstein “the rights of hunters are protected” – Cow, the 2nd is not about hunting rights. Combust, from stupidity alone, hag.

Schadenfreude on December 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM

AP, you do know that voting for another Newcastles doesn’t really count as voting right? ;p

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Kabuki remade into a Scooby Doo episode

ted c on December 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM

With Dianne Feinstein cast in the role of Scrappy Doo… Not good, not good at all… o_O

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 12:43 PM

are all involved parties going to join the Choom Gang for roof hits and big sammiches in the Magic Mystery Machine once it is all done?

ted c on December 28, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Feinstein, you moronic hag, see the 4th Amendment too.

The once freest land is now the most stupid of them all.

If it appears to be off topic, don’t worry – it’s all part of the same topic, the ‘cliff’, the constitution, your freedom and your liberties.

Weasels never deserve to live/work freely. Btw, dictators hate, hate, hate weasels. Otherwise they wouldn’t be dictators.

Schadenfreude on December 28, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I wonder why the media never brings up the fact that if the president had been doing anything besides campaigning the last two years of his term they may have come to an agreement before now. I can see why this is all the fault of the GOP /

scalleywag on December 28, 2012 at 12:46 PM

What about entitlement cuts? Why are they only talking about the revenue side? We haven’t heard anything about cutting any entitlements for the past couplenof weeks…have they.?

This has turned into a one-sided deal.

I say go over that cliff and keep everyone’s taxes higher. Obama did say he was for 100% of Americans, so why shouldn’t 100% feel the pain.

Patriot Vet on December 28, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Are you ready for the big fiscal cliff summit?

Soap – check

KY Jelly – check

Yup, guess I’m ready.

petefrt on December 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Pay attention to what Peter Ferrara has to say.
Conservatives in the GOP caucus of the Senate have to get vocal and expose the lack of leadership of Reid and put the Dem senators in the spotlight.

Stop negotiating behind closed doors.

onlineanalyst on December 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM

scalleywag on December 28, 2012 at 12:46 PM

The kneepads with Obama’s face on them that they wear must prevent their brains from thinking about anything other than how evil Republicans are 24/7/365.

milcus on December 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM

If any of you believe that this only applies to foreigners then you live in a foreign reality.

It’s really ‘funny’ that Drudge embedded it into the China internet name-registration block.

Over the cliff, in all regards.

Obama in his glory.

Schadenfreude on December 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM

milcus on December 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM

How about this, pass a balanced budget, or no deal. (yes, I know, would require cutting ~1.5 trillion per 1 year, rather than several hundred billion over 10 years).

Compromise with that.

Fenris on December 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM

how much do you want to bet that Obama goes back on vacation, soon after the conference?

ChunkyLover on December 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Trust me Boehner will cave to the Messiah…. no real cuts will happen but taxes will go up for those “millionaires” that make 250-400 thousand dollars. I always thought millionaire meant million, but not in obamas world…

sandee on December 28, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Compromise with that.

Fenris on December 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Here is my compromise, Obama can raise taxes and spending as much as he want’s, but only if the minimum tax rate for all elected politicians and unelected bureaucrats and their family members becomes a bare minimum of 100 percent of their gross incomes, from ALL sources.

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 12:54 PM

milcus on December 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM

This is true. He wasted 2 years needlessly trying to get re-elected when the media was doing all they could to hand it to him on a platter. Again. Now they’ll make him out to be a hero for cutting short his vacay so he could come make a deal. What a joke.

scalleywag on December 28, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Let. It. Burn.

BigGator5 on December 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Nothing they do can convincee they give half a crap about the producers honest taxpayers anyone trying to pursue the american dream my parents generation etc… They all stink with a few exceptions here and there. Until they live by the laws they pass on everyone else. Our government is completely without any ethics or leadership from top to bottom. Im not seeing a way out unless the 47% somehow realize we’re going down all of us. Good luck with that. I was a previously optimistic person Im just hoping it goes fast and somehow a leader emerges from it all.

ldbgcoleman on December 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Let it Burn, and to Obama I say… “to the last I grapple with thee; from hell’s heart I stab at thee; for hate’s sake I spit my last breath at thee”…

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM

For those of you who stupidly believe that the country going through financial hardship will wake the TV-watching, EBT-swapping population up – wake the hell up and pull your heads outta your sphincters. This country has a lot of assets to waste before that happens. The government can:

– run an astronomical debt,
– print money (hint: that’s what QE were about),
– merge 401(k)’s with failing public employee plans,
– liquidate nearly all defense programs (that’s what sequester is about),
– sell mineral rights to foreign entities (that’s why we do not drill),
– nationalize private businesses (in order to “keep prices stable”),
– sell military know-how (including nukes) to the highest bidder,
– and finally, collateralize or outright sell federal lands.

This list alone – and I am sure the folks in Washington can extend it by a few pages – will be sufficient to keep this country afloat for another generation before it bleeds dry and turns into North-American version of Zimbabwe.

Archivarix on December 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Sorry to go OT, but this is so incredibly vile, words escape me.

From Twitchy.

UltimateBob on December 28, 2012 at 1:00 PM

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM

KHHHHAAAAAAAANNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UltimateBob on December 28, 2012 at 1:00 PM

With the rat-eared wonder trussed up on the floor and the mask off revealing that the nation has indeed been run by the Chinese communists the last four years……. Xi Jinping lamenting “If it weren’t for you meddling kids I would have ruled the world!”

Happy Nomad on December 28, 2012 at 1:01 PM

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM

FYI, according to Chinese calendar, 2013 is a Year of Black Snake.

Archivarix on December 28, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I’ll lose about $65 per paycheck. Let it burn. I’ll just remind everyone griping that these are the Obama tax-hikes, which is bad in the midst of the Obama Depression.

rbj on December 28, 2012 at 1:02 PM

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM

KHHHHAAAAAAAANNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UltimateBob on December 28, 2012 at 1:00 PM

ROTFLMAO… I do believe I just got run over by a Trekie… Good thing you were driving sitting parked in your Chevy Volt, or I might have gotten hurt… ;p o_O

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I know how I’d vote on that if I were a Republican legislator.

[In my best Nancy Pelosi impression] Are you kidding me? Are you kidding me?

And then I’d have the entire GOP caucus get up en masse and walk out of both the House and Senate in disgust. Telling the enemy that they will only come back to the table when there is a legitimate piece of legislation.

Happy Nomad on December 28, 2012 at 1:03 PM

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM

FYI, according to Chinese calendar, 2013 is a Year of Black Snake.

Archivarix on December 28, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Ummm, and that correlates to a Herman Melville quote, umm, how?

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 1:05 PM

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 12:54 PM

If you’re going to go the revenge route, might as well make it illegal to travel to Hawaii on fuel guzzling jetliners. If you can get there by sailboat, you’re good. Ugly dresses and eco-unfriendly golf courses need to be taxed extra too.

Fenris on December 28, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Apparently, the one thing that is off the table is the debt ceiling. The House Republicans see that as huge leverage and aren’t going to give it up. It seems that the sticking point was the debt ceiling when it came to Boehner’s negotiations with the President. Most Rs leaving in the real world understand that taxes are going to go up because Obama wants his pound of flesh.

The best thing for the Rs to do is to get it off the table and deal on the taxes and then come back three months down the road and fight on spending cuts and tax reform. This will likely have a few results.. 1. The economy is going to continue to remain sluggish. 2. Everyone’s taxes will go up and will hit Barry’s upper middle class yuppie supporters the hardest. (Romney can take the hit… Heck he paid extra taxes in 2011 because it was better optics. Snootty tenured Ivy League college professors will actually have to cut back their lifestyles.) 3. The deficit will continue to be at a trillion dollars+ which means that the Rs will have proven their point about spending.

Boehner is in a no win situation. Yes, he is a lousy negotiator and strategist, but the smarter political minds in the GOP caucus like Ryan understand this as well. The best bet is to change the conversation from revenue to spending and the best way to do that is to give Obama what he wants on taxes but hold out for the debt ceiling.

Illinidiva on December 28, 2012 at 1:08 PM

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I would have forgotten all about the Khan reference if not for all the fun that they had with it on Seinfeld. :-)

UltimateBob on December 28, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I’m bored to tears and just don’t care any more.

Let it burn.

Stu Gotts on December 28, 2012 at 1:09 PM

ChunkyLover on December 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM

That’s the plan, I think. Stay just long enough for the cameras, then back to the Hawaiian links.

petefrt on December 28, 2012 at 1:09 PM

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Fenris on December 28, 2012 at 1:07 PM

That is not revenge my friend, that is incentive to not be irresponsible or corrupt. Revenge would involve lot’s of Stout Hemp Rope and Streetlamps.

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Give the people what they voted for.

Let. It. Burn.

JPeterman on December 28, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I’ll keep saying it until someone convinces me I’m wrong, the Republican position should be to deal with all of this through the budget process, period. They’ve submitted a budget so, since the Senate doesn’t agree, let them submit a budget and they go to reconciliation. The truth be known, the Democrats don’t want a budget because they’ve been scamming the American public for 2 years, getting more money to spend and not proposing anything, why should they change that deal?

If Boehner isn’t smart enough to hold true to that, which most Americans would understand, then he shouldn’t be the Speaker of the House and the 3rd in line to the Presidency.

We all know the first spin from the Democrats is going to be the filibuster, which can’t be used on a budget, but our illustrious free press won’t clue the public in on that so it’s going to have to be the Republicans and I hope they say it loud and often.

bflat879 on December 28, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Illinidiva on December 28, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Boehner is no different than a dog chasing his tail. Running around in circles while the left offers nothing and keeps increasing its demands. But I disagree with you that caving is the “smart” solution. Look, Congress has had months and months to come to an agreement and they did not even though sequestration was supposed to be such a bad consequence that they’d have to work together. If I were a Republican legislator I’d demand that real entitlement cuts be part of any deal. Not the promise of future cuts but a specific amount that had to be carved out of one of the program filled with the moochers and takers that make up supporters of the rat-eared wonder. Starting point for me is the extension of unemployment benefits. Almost two years of welfare- time these people find a job or understand that they are jobless thanks to the filthy bastard in the White House and his party.

BTW- You know where the most significant cuts can be made? Obamacare. Not that the rat-eared wonder would touch that but the GOP has done a bad job pointing out that cuts to Obamacare should be on the table along with everything else.

Happy Nomad on December 28, 2012 at 1:15 PM

ZOIKS!!

Tim_CA on December 28, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Archivarix on December 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I’d say about 7 of the 8 items you listed are well under way already as you acknowledge. And anybody that’s had a 401 over the last decade knows its pretty flat as an investment scheme. We seem powerless to stop a political party that is hell bent on socializing the nation. That is why we say let it burn if it can’t be stopped. We are not getting any younger and prolonging the inevitable goes against our common sense. Sorry if that seems harsh.

DanMan on December 28, 2012 at 1:17 PM

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I’m not sure how admiring the quality of a traditional hemp rope by the light of a street lamp qualifies, maybe you mean: at this rate we’ll be reduced to using ancient technology to get by with subsistence farming, 3rd world style, and Obama will have his revenge.

Fenris on December 28, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Summits and cliffs, Oh My!

zmdavid on December 28, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Do it! Make the deal. Prolong the fall so the impact speed doubles. Come on, libs and your red lap dogs, dooooooooooooooooooo it!

Limerick on December 28, 2012 at 1:19 PM

petefrt on December 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Yeah….that’s pretty much my list too.

I added a couple of roofies (I’d rather not remember).

Tim_CA on December 28, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Nothing matters but X Factor, The Voice, and DWTS! Grow up peeps!

Limerick on December 28, 2012 at 1:22 PM

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM

FYI, according to Chinese calendar, 2013 is a Year of Black Snake.

Archivarix on December 28, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Ummm, and that correlates to a Herman Melville quote, umm, how?

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 1:05 PM

‘Cause they possibly relate to the same person?

Archivarix on December 28, 2012 at 1:22 PM

How many of these politicians should be in Jail?

guesses?

PappyD61 on December 28, 2012 at 1:23 PM

– run an astronomical debt,
– print money (hint: that’s what QE were about),
– merge 401(k)’s with failing public employee plans,
– liquidate nearly all defense programs (that’s what sequester is about),
– sell mineral rights to foreign entities (that’s why we do not drill),
– nationalize private businesses (in order to “keep prices stable”),
– sell military know-how (including nukes) to the highest bidder,
– and finally, collateralize or outright sell federal lands.

Archivarix on December 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM

This needed posting again. This is a pretty good vision of the future, I think. I don’t see anyone stopping the trend.

zmdavid on December 28, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Combust, from stupidity alone, hag.

Schadenfreude on December 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM

BWHAAHAAHAA!!!

Compromise with that.

Fenris on December 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Fat chance. Congress hasn’t put forth a budget, let alone a balanced one in… wow, so long I can’t remember. Boehner and crew are going to bend over for Zero (again). Zero will have some kabuki smoke and mirror show of ‘trying to meet the awful Republicans in the middle’. Letting it burn is the only way the free riders are ever going to learn where their ‘free’ stuff come from.

ghostwalker1 on December 28, 2012 at 1:25 PM

PappyD61 on December 28, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Only the gun owner ones with grandma’s SS check in the scissors!

Limerick on December 28, 2012 at 1:25 PM

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Silly wabbit. Unless you have found a way to tax their bribes, kickbacks, and lobbying “contributions”, your plan won’t make a dent in their incomes.

Archivarix on December 28, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Hmmm… Write an article critical of my uber corrupt State Senator Dianne Feinstein and her super uber corrupt boss Barack “The dog eater” Obama… And now there is a San Diego Sheriff loitering outside my door, parked right next to my car… Must be a coincidence, right? o_O

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM

bflat879 on December 28, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Hoefully we get your wish. Here is Boehner’s response to Harry Reid’s chide on Wednseday.

“The House has acted on two bills that collectively would avert the entire fiscal cliff. We passed HR 8 at the beginning of August to stop all of the tax rate increases that are set to occur on Jan. 1 under current law. And we’ve passed legislation to replace the entire sequester with responsible spending cuts,” Boehner said according to a source on the call. “These bills await action by the Senate. And as I, Eric, Kevin and Cathy said yesterday in a joint statement: If the Senate will not approve these bills and send them to the president to be signed into law in their current form, they must be amended and returned to the House. Once this has occurred, the House will then consider whether to accept the bills as amended, or to send them back to the Senate with additional amendments. The House will take this action on whatever the Senate can pass — but the Senate must act.”

This is as it should be.

DanMan on December 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Archivarix on December 28, 2012 at 1:25 PM

lol….perfect.

Tim_CA on December 28, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Dianne Feinstein wants to violate the US Constitution. Yea, real shocker…

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Dirty little secret……..the politicians MUST GET GUNS out of the hands of the American People before the mess they have created spirals out of control.

For example, when the goodies stop……what do you think tens of millions of Americans are going to do?

When Granny doesn’t get her check?

When Julio doesn’t get his Obamaphone upgrade?

When Luis doesn’t get his 99 weeks of unemployment?

When Americans find out that the thousands of dollars we’ve been paying into Social Security and Medicare have been spent who are they going to hold accountable?

Themselves for electing these people? NOPE.

America must be unarmed.

PappyD61 on December 28, 2012 at 1:28 PM

How many of these politicians should be in Jail?

guesses?

PappyD61 on December 28, 2012 at 1:23 PM

All. Of. Them. Perhaps that would be a lesson for the next round of elected officials. Not going to happen, but I can dream, can’t I?

ghostwalker1 on December 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM

We know how this will play out:
Either we accept his shitty offer, or next week he gets enough votes to pass an even shittier offer while we take the blame for it having come to that.
Well played………..

blue13326 on December 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM

DanMan on December 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Or they just pass another continuing resolution, like they have for Obama’s entire term in office so far.

Fenris on December 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM

It’s not entirely the fault of the President, Boehner, or Reid. All think that they have mandates because of the recent election results, and they all do to some extent. This last election was decision time for us, and as a nation, we kicked the can down the road. Unfortunately, there is a cliff at the end of this particular road. We all knew this, and we decided not to decide.

Sheerq on December 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Nothing matters but X Factor, The Voice, and DWTS! Grow up peeps!

Limerick on December 28, 2012 at 1:22 PM

You left out American Idol.

JPeterman on December 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Fenris on December 28, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Hmmm, no homeless people huddling under streetlamps smoking pot? o_O

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I added a couple of roofies (I’d rather not remember).

Tim_CA on December 28, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Do they make 4-year roofies? I might pop one on inauguration day.

petefrt on December 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM

O: “I won, again!”
B: [effeminate weeping]

Jeddite on December 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Uncle Sugar doesn’t give a hoot about my balanced budget. He has priorities!

Limerick on December 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Can’t say that I really know what this fiscal cliff is “REALY” all about, but I do think it is not a bad thing.

Congress has created such a convoluted mess of the tax and spend system that they can not come up with any kind of meaningful fix. That is what it seems to be all about. After all they haven’t passed a budget in 5 years and have gone $trillions in debt with no way out, BUT. There is maybe a way out. “The Fiscal Cliff Options”.

1. It raises taxes across the board on every one.
2. It cuts spending deeply across the board.
3. It cuts many “PORK” additives to Federal Spending.
4. It makes Congress come up with a BUDGET.
5. It gives Congress a clean slate to start over.
6. It gives Congress the opportunity to manage their fiscal House by excluding rather then adding to the problem.
7. It dose not hold any individual Congressman responsible for the mess.
8. It dose allow individual Congressman to be the heros in the mid-term election.

The alternative is that they yet again come up with an unworkable stop gap measure that solves nothing.

MisTwiLies Run & Hide CYA
(Misleading, Twists and Lies)

jpcpt03 on December 28, 2012 at 1:31 PM

America must be unarmed.

PappyD61 on December 28, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Read this. The plans are ready.

Archivarix on December 28, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Uncle Sugar doesn’t give a hoot about my balanced budget. He has priorities!

Limerick on December 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Balanced budgets are sooo evil capitalistic… o_O

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 1:32 PM

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Archivarix on December 28, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Forbid them from owning anything at all and make them live in a Joe Arpaioesque tent city prison. They get orange jumpsuits a tent and prison food.

zmdavid on December 28, 2012 at 1:32 PM

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Just because you’re paranoid, doesn’t mean they aren’t out to get you. They are out to get us all.

ghostwalker1 on December 28, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Sorry to go OT, but this is so incredibly vile, words escape me.

From Twitchy.

UltimateBob on December 28, 2012 at 1:00 PM

To figure out what hell is like, just look around.

Schadenfreude on December 28, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Relax, don’t panic! Since the advent of rights-as-optional all will sort itself out. The Hill is looking out for the country, and you, and their USAF perk flights to the Cheescake Festival! Have patience!

Limerick on December 28, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Just so I can get the party planning underway.

Monday is New Year’s Eve. I pretty much know how to handle that one.

But what about Tuesday’s Fiscal Eve party? What kind of traditions are associated with that? Do we go around the room and everybody tells their favorite Obama lie concerning the economy (who wouldn’t want to re-live the “shovel ready” stimulus speech?) Do we play pin-the-tail on the fat cat? Does everybody wear tags with the amount their expenses are going up now that the tax cuts are gone and Obamacare taxes are kicking in? Do we go to the doors of the neighbors who had Obama/Biden yard signs and boo them?

I really need help here.

Happy Nomad on December 28, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I really need help here.

Happy Nomad on December 28, 2012 at 1:38 PM

It’s a costume party, everyone dresses up like a character from Fahrenheit 451 and prizes are given to the Firemen who carry the best hard liqueur in their fire kits.

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 1:42 PM

jpcpt03 on December 28, 2012 at 1:31 PM

You can’t possibly be serious. That or you’re incredibly ignorant.

Congress does not get a “clean slate” for doing nothing. There is still a little matter called the national debt out there. For that matter I think Congressmen are reflecting their constituency. We are divided nation. There are responsible Republicans, Moderate Republicans running scared because of the blame game, and then all the worthless moochers, takers, and parasites who deserve to die in a gutter somewhere for re-electing the rat-eared wonder.

I’m in the LIB camp. The filthy vermin that voted for another four years of reckless spending and bad government needs to miss a few meals and a few of the welfare checks. Then maybe issues like free contraception for sluts might not look like such an inherent “right” to people who contribute nothing to society and are breeding the next generation of worthless parasites.

Happy Nomad on December 28, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Obama, Boehner and Reid look and are soooo stupid.

The land is lost.

Schadenfreude on December 28, 2012 at 1:51 PM

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Oh! There definitely will be drinking!

Happy Nomad on December 28, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Sorry to go OT, but this is so incredibly vile, words escape me.

From Twitchy.

UltimateBob on December 28, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Looks like another day on the WWW to me.

tlynch001 on December 28, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Sorry to go OT, but this is so incredibly vile, words escape me.

From Twitchy.

UltimateBob on December 28, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Watched it over on Twitter last night.

JPeterman on December 28, 2012 at 1:52 PM

All a scam on the American people.
All sides want to raise taxes, they just want to make sure that none are responsible for it.

albill on December 28, 2012 at 1:52 PM

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 1:42 PM

You struck me more as a liquor guy, than liqueur. Say that was a typo, please.

Fenris on December 28, 2012 at 1:53 PM

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Oh! There definitely will be drinking!

Happy Nomad on December 28, 2012 at 1:51 PM

In Ray Bradbury Fahrenheit 451, Firemen start fires, they don’t put them out… : wink wink:

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 1:54 PM

The screen shot captures that schmoozy technique of Obysmal’s: putting his paw on the person that he “talks” at, not talks to.

onlineanalyst on December 28, 2012 at 1:55 PM

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 1:42 PM

You struck me more as a liquor guy, than liqueur. Say that was a typo, please.

Fenris on December 28, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I’m a beer kind of guy, not much for distilled spirits, but I do like my Bailey’s Irish Creme now than then and sometimes a shot of Grand Mariner. ;)

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Obama Issues Executive Order Giving Pay Raise To Biden, Members Of Congress…

Zcat on December 28, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I’m a beer kind of guy, lah lah lah I can’t hear you

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Fenris on December 28, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Those making >$250k are already going to get nailed with Obamacare taxes.

Raising taxes on them again 1) won’t solve our sending or debt problems and 2) is purely symbolic to the socialist occupying the WH.

I think we need to go over the cliff so middle-class Liberals who continue to vote for free spending Democrats will finally get the bill for their policy preferences. The GOP can’t continue to shied these people from the consequences of their voting habits.

And yes, I will have to pay about $6k more per year should no deal happen. But it’s worth it to hear the Libs squeal.

Charlemagne on December 28, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Fenris on December 28, 2012 at 1:53 PM

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Oh, and by beer, I mean stout ales like Stones Arrogant Bastard or Green Flash Brewing Company’s Palate Wrecker. o_O

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Obama Issues Executive Order Giving Pay Raise To Biden, Members Of Congress…

Zcat on December 28, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Federal pay has been frozen for two years but the timing is definitely either tone-deaf or arrogant beyond belief.

Happy Nomad on December 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Obama Issues Executive Order Giving Pay Raise To Biden, Members Of Congress…

Zcat on December 28, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Happy Nomad on December 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I’ll go with, “What is arrogant beyond belief for $1000.00 Alex”…

SWalker on December 28, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I am as ready as I am ever going to be for the first effects [taxes]. I am getting as ready as I can for the economic collapse.

Interesting event this morning, that seems to fit. Towards the end of the campaign, I pledged some money to the Republican Party. This was in addition to working GOTV at least once a week through the campaign, being a delegate at every level through State, working rallies, and yes blogging. Since the election, the discovery that the Republican Party had long ago agreed in a court consent decree not to fight vote fraud, watching Boehner purge any conservatives from the key committees, and piss away any chance for resistance to Obama; I decided that there is no real reason to stay a Republican.

I got a call from the Republican Party wanting their money. I explained the above, in some scatological detail, and told them I was just waiting for the moment Boehner finally capitulated so that my changing registration would be counted as part of a larger movement. I got the feeling that I was not the only one who had answered with some variant of the above. It made the day brighter. Let it burn.

Subotai Bahadur

Subotai Bahadur on December 28, 2012 at 2:09 PM

That is where not ceding the debt ceiling comes in. The key is a two step process… 1. Give Obama his pound of flesh and kick the debt ceiling debate into the spring. 2. Use that power in the spring..say around the time that the 2014 Republican budget and spiffy commercial associated with it get released… to demand real spending cuts.

The whole purpose behind this is because Average Joe American is incredibly dumb and thinks that the trillion dollar deficit will be closed if Warren Buffett pays a bit more in taxes each year. He/ she is also envious of rich people and want them to suffer. Putting this incorrect (but politically popular) hypothesis to the test and then forcing Joe Sixpack to confront reality is the only play that the Republicans have. When the deficit is still projected to be a trillion dollars in April, then the Rs will be able to force Obama’s hand. He’ll either have to tell his dense supporters that their taxes have to go up as well or there will need to be real entitlement reform.

As an added bonus, two can play at class warfare.. The Rs have a big opening with the tax code and GE not paying taxes. Let’s expand that line to gov’t programs and point out that Obama’s wealthy hipster supporters are mooching off the gov’t. There was a story about a month ago about NYC hipster grad students using SNAP so that they could continue with their organic vegan diet. Or how about a bill restricting the schools that Pell Grants apply to with a certain tuition amount?

Illinidiva on December 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Happy Nomad on December 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Opening… The Republicans give back their pay increases. Symbolic gesture but good PR.

Illinidiva on December 28, 2012 at 2:12 PM