Merry Christmas!

posted at 12:01 am on December 25, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Jesus has come — our Emmanuel!

In those days a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be enrolled. This was the first enrollment, when Quirin’ius was governor of Syria. And all went to be enrolled, each to his own city. And Joseph also went up from Galilee, from the city of Nazareth, to Judea, to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and lineage of David, to be enrolled with Mary his betrothed, who was with child. And while they were there, the time came for her to be delivered. And she gave birth to her first-born son and wrapped him in swaddling cloths, and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn.

And in that region there were shepherds out in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were filled with fear. And the angel said to them, “Be not afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of a great joy which will come to all the people; for to you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger.” And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest,   and on earth peace among men with whom he is pleased!” When the angels went away from them into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let us go over to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has made known to us.” And they went with haste, and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby lying in a manger. And when they saw it they made known the saying which had been told them concerning this child; and all who heard it wondered at what the shepherds told them.

But Mary kept all these things, pondering them in her heart.

We watched two traditional Christmas shows after Mass last night.  The first is still the best Christmas TV special ever, A Charlie Brown Christmas, for the reason that it actually has to do at least in some measure with the true meaning of Christmas:

Charles Schulz had to fight CBS to have that included — in 1965.  We’ll have more on that later today.

The second film is The Nativity Story, a sometimes overlooked Biblical film that focuses entirely on the Advent passages from the New Testament.  This scene comes straight from the Gospel reading above, as the shepherds gather to pay homage after the birth of Jesus:

The best aspects of this film are the very human stories of the Magi, the depiction of Herod by Ciaran Hinds, and how the character of Joseph becomes so compelling.

May all of our readers — and all the world — have a peaceful and blessed Advent.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

letget on December 25, 2012 at 10:48 AM

You can get it from Amazon (download version) – then you can watch it whenever you want! (I’ve had it in VHS, DVD, and now on my hard drive. :) )

GWB on December 25, 2012 at 12:11 PM

hawkdriver on December 25, 2012 at 6:56 AM

Nice! And, yes, such a long time ago.
To the future one and all *clink*

For the occasion, Imma watch the original Miracle on34th St and It’s a Wonderful Life

The latter just for reinforcement for what I already know about people for whom I hold high esteem and there are many.

mickytx on December 25, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Merry Christmas, hotair friends.

Why has it been controversial since I was 1 year old to put forth such a message, in the Land of the Free?

rbj on December 25, 2012 at 1:25 AM

I read an interesting answer to this question before I got here:

POSTED BY ANN BARNHARDT – DECEMBER 24, AD 2012 6:35 PM MST

But, a nit to pick, and a great lesson for all in how important an accurate translation of the Bible is. Most Bibles today read Luke 2:14 as:

“Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, goodwill toward men.”

The last clause is totally wrong [CENSORED]

The Vulgate Latin, which is St. Jerome’s inspired synthesis of the original source texts triple cross-referenced against each other in Greek, Aramaic and Hebrew in preparation for the eventual setting of the canon of scripture at the Council of Carthage in 397 AD, reads thusly:

“…gloria in altissimis Deo et in terra pax in hominibus bonae voluntatis”

In English, in the Douay-Rheims translation this reads:

Glory to God in the highest; and on earth peace to men of good will.

Ms. Barnhardt has strong opinions, which may be found in full at her website. I am sympathetic with these opinions but I have elided some text that may not be in keeping with the spirit of today.

gh on December 25, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Merry Christmas AmeriKa, from Obama.

Merry Christmas all here, except the Goebbels minions.

Schadenfreude on December 25, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Please explain this – what is behind it?

But the military is the organization with the biggest budget. That is why the Dagger Brigade will be able to take part in nearly 100 separate training and military exercises next year, in nearly three dozen African countries. Some of those efforts by the Army teams will last a few days, others a month or more.

Schadenfreude on December 25, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Saw this from Rebecca Kleefisch on FB:

And in despair I bowed my head
“There is no peace on earth,” I said,
“For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.”

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

Fallon on December 25, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Please explain this – what is behind it?
Schadenfreude on December 25, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Shrug. Reparations? I noticed it was happening, at least a few months ago. Probably some minion’s personal project. The big O is to lazy to bother, himself.

It’s probably analagous to the new NASA policy of muslim outreach. Smart Soft power brains.

gh on December 25, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Merry Christmas!

Dr. ZhivBlago on December 25, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Merry Christmas all!

oryguncon on December 25, 2012 at 1:39 PM

A heartfelt Christmas day to all. Mine is just starting, as I spent the night researching on the web, while watching every Christmas show on the list

I am not Catholic, but greatly admire Pope Benedict. He is quite an intellect, and IMHO a true brother in Christ.

This morning I pulled up his Christmas Eve homily.
. Of the birth of Jesus:

The faster we can move, the more efficient our time-saving appliances become, the less time we have. And God? The question of God never seems urgent. Our time is already completely full. But matters go deeper still. Does God actually have a place in our thinking? Our process of thinking is structured in such a way that he simply ought not to exist. Even if he seems to knock at the door of our thinking, he has to be explained away.

If thinking is to be taken seriously, it must be structured in such a way that the “God hypothesis” becomes superfluous. There is no room for him. Not even in our feelings and desires is there any room for him. We want ourselves. We want what we can seize hold of, we want happiness that is within our reach, we want our plans and purposes to succeed. We are so “full” of ourselves that there is no room left for God. And that means there is no room for others either, for children, for the poor, for the stranger.

By reflecting on that one simple saying about the lack of room at the inn, we have come to see how much we need to listen to Saint Paul’s exhortation: “Be transformed by the renewal of your mind” (Rom 12:2). Paul speaks of renewal, the opening up of our intellect (nous), of the whole way we view the world and ourselves.

The conversion that we need must truly reach into the depths of our relationship with reality

Dear Benedict, may God go with you always

gh on December 25, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Thanks for the controversial link. Not for today, but I intend to check the arguments. On Christmas day, arguments are for family. (LOL)

What a lovely day to remember the Hope of the WOrld.

God bless you, everyone

entagor on December 25, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Merry Christmas.

A time for celebration, thanksgiving, and reflection. Also the ultimate proof that Dr Dre was wrong when he said “You can’t make a ho a housewife”.

CorporatePiggy on December 25, 2012 at 2:20 PM

mittens on December 25, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Merry Christmas to you, Ed, and to everyone here!

Alana on December 25, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Fallon on December 25, 2012 at 1:15 PM

From a Wadsworth poem, written during the civil war:

I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Their old, familiar carols play,

and mild and sweet
The words repeat

Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

And thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom

Had rolled along

The unbroken song

Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

Till ringing, singing on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,

A voice, a chime,

A chant sublime

Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

Then from each black, accursed mouth
The cannon thundered in the South,

And with the sound

The carols drowned

Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

It was as if an earthquake rent
The hearth-stones of a continent,

And made forlorn

The households born

Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

And in despair I bowed my head;
“There is no peace on earth,” I said;

“For hate is strong,

And mocks the song

Of peace on earth, good-will to men!”

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;

The Wrong shall fail,

The Right prevail,

With peace on earth, good-will to men.”

Both Johny Mercer and the Carpenters have recorded it. Haunting, and beautiful.

massrighty on December 25, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Merry Christmas to all! from Sacramento.

D-Bar on December 25, 2012 at 2:42 PM

there is something amazingly similar to reindeer poop in the yard

koaiko on December 25, 2012 at 11:42 AM
sorry…that was me.

Tim_CA on December 25, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Good night everybody !

listens2glenn on December 25, 2012 at 2:42 PM

“The Son of God became a man to enable men to become the sons of God.”

–C.S. Lewis

My favorite Christmas quote, I think.

29Victor on December 25, 2012 at 2:50 AM

C.S. Lewis is right-on.

listens2glenn on December 25, 2012 at 2:46 PM

listens2glenn on December 25, 2012 at 11:25 AM

*Aspie hug*

annoyinglittletwerp on December 25, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Awwwwwwww . . . . . ( blush )

I could literally feel the warmth in that. : )

listens2glenn on December 25, 2012 at 2:50 PM

gh on December 25, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I liked AB-until I learned that she’s an uber-birther.
Pass.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 25, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Merry Christmas from a very wet East Texas. I haven’t commented too much since the election fiasco. I pray that our country has better 2013 even if only it is within our own hearts and homes.

jazzuscounty on December 25, 2012 at 3:08 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 25, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I find that surprising. AB certainly believes some things that are probably not true but that one is new to me. I am curious what you mean by “uber birther” and where you learned this.

–gh

gh on December 25, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Next year,, I’m having bbq’ed rabbit. Mesquite fire.

wolly4321 on December 25, 2012 at 3:36 PM

the miracle — quotes and all that
Christmas isn’t a day, but a point of view (my bad for not saying it quite correctly)
Early on in the watching. Great movie.
Santa brought me all I ever needed.

The beauty is the sunshine here in TX. :D

mickytx on December 25, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Merry Christmas Again! Safe and secure at my Moms! Honey Baked Ham time! Yay!!! Tomorrow the ocean! Merry, Merry Christmas to all!

Bmore on December 25, 2012 at 4:25 PM

It is snowing here in Dallas, now that is a Christmas dream come true for lots of kids young and old!
Amazing.

txmomof6 on December 25, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Merry Christmas all!

xplodeit on December 25, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I was so hoping “The Nativity Story” would be the first Christmas movie to get the wise men (magi) right and have them see Jesus at a house and not at the stable.

9 After they had heard the king, they went on their way, and the star they had seen when it rose went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was. 10 When they saw the star, they were overjoyed. 11 On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. Matthew 2:9-11

rjkitch13 on December 25, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Merry Christmas to the Hot Air management & readers!

22044 on December 25, 2012 at 5:21 PM

“The Son of God became a man to enable men to become the sons of God.”

–C.S. Lewis

My favorite Christmas quote, I think.

29Victor on December 25, 2012 at 2:50 AM

C.S. Lewis is right-on.

listens2glenn on December 25, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Thanks – posted the C.S. Lewis quote on my fb page. :)

22044 on December 25, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Gee, not a single greeting from our trolls. I see several comments wishing them well. Just an observation.

Christien on December 25, 2012 at 5:37 PM

And on earth peace and goodwill towards men….

Kinda hard these days but I try

jb34461 on December 25, 2012 at 5:45 PM

“….And on earth peace and goodwill towards men….”

Kinda hard these days but I try

jb34461 on December 25, 2012 at 5:45 PM

God isn’t requiring you to live at peace with all men.

Jesus could not live at peace with all men, and He’s the “Prince Of Peace”.
Cross-posting from QOTD (last night):

Peace on Earth…

What ever that means…..

Electrongod on December 24, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Coming from the angels to the shepherds, it meant “peace between God and man”.

It did not mean peace and goodwill between men.

From the time Adam betrayed himself and God in The Garden, there was no peace between God and man.

The incarnation of a pure spirit, without sin, in an earthly body, was the beginning of the end of conflict between God and man.
When Jesus arose on Easter morning, that was THE END (for all time) of conflict between God and man (as far as God was concerned).

Individual men (includes women) still must acknowledge it for themselves.

To those of you who haven’t done that yet; “What are you waiting for?”

listens2glenn
on December 25, 2012 at 12:13 AM

listens2glenn on December 25, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The Wrong shall fail,
The Right prevail,
With peace on earth, good-will to men.”

Both Johny Mercer and the Carpenters have recorded it. Haunting, and beautiful.

massrighty on December 25, 2012 at 2:31 PM

One of my favorite carols.

Fallon on December 25, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Ed Ames has also recorded “I Heard the Bells”. That deep, resonating voice lends itself to songs with powerful messages. It is the best version I have heard.

rwenger43 on December 25, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Merry Christmas, everyone!

verbaluce on December 25, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Merry Christmas verbaluce!

Schadenfreude on December 26, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Baking Pumpkin Bread because 2 AM is morning-waking here…

Merriest of Christmas wishes to all. And also to Ed, thankfulness for your most excellent hosting; to all the HotAir editors, a thank you for ongoing, excellent work, which I will continue to read over Pumpkin Bread later today.

Love and best wishes.

I loved Pope Benedict’s Christmas Day message: a good read.

Lourdes on December 26, 2012 at 5:16 AM

I don’t understand. Every flight I’ve taken recently the stewardess and even the pilot said “Merry Christmas” to me! Even in stores! Is political correctness fading? This use to be verboten, I mean it might offend any Muslims in hearing range (and they can go berserk). We use to have to be sensitive to others no matter how incredibly insensitive & supercilious they are.

Chessplayer on December 26, 2012 at 8:39 AM