Merry Christmas!

posted at 12:01 am on December 25, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Jesus has come — our Emmanuel!

In those days a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be enrolled. This was the first enrollment, when Quirin’ius was governor of Syria. And all went to be enrolled, each to his own city. And Joseph also went up from Galilee, from the city of Nazareth, to Judea, to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and lineage of David, to be enrolled with Mary his betrothed, who was with child. And while they were there, the time came for her to be delivered. And she gave birth to her first-born son and wrapped him in swaddling cloths, and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn.

And in that region there were shepherds out in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were filled with fear. And the angel said to them, “Be not afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of a great joy which will come to all the people; for to you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger.” And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest,   and on earth peace among men with whom he is pleased!” When the angels went away from them into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let us go over to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has made known to us.” And they went with haste, and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby lying in a manger. And when they saw it they made known the saying which had been told them concerning this child; and all who heard it wondered at what the shepherds told them.

But Mary kept all these things, pondering them in her heart.

We watched two traditional Christmas shows after Mass last night.  The first is still the best Christmas TV special ever, A Charlie Brown Christmas, for the reason that it actually has to do at least in some measure with the true meaning of Christmas:

Charles Schulz had to fight CBS to have that included — in 1965.  We’ll have more on that later today.

The second film is The Nativity Story, a sometimes overlooked Biblical film that focuses entirely on the Advent passages from the New Testament.  This scene comes straight from the Gospel reading above, as the shepherds gather to pay homage after the birth of Jesus:

The best aspects of this film are the very human stories of the Magi, the depiction of Herod by Ciaran Hinds, and how the character of Joseph becomes so compelling.

May all of our readers — and all the world — have a peaceful and blessed Advent.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Merry Christmas to all!!!!

CW on December 25, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Merry Christmas, Ed.

ted c on December 25, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Merry Christmas

John the Libertarian on December 25, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Merry Christmas folks!

May God continue to bless us all.

Jason Gillman on December 25, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Merry Christmas

SparkPlug on December 25, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Merry Christmas!

Brat on December 25, 2012 at 12:27 AM

For unto us a child is born…
~ Isaiah 9:6

Wishing the entire Hot Air community a blessed Christmas.

lynncgb on December 25, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Merry Christmas

Moesart on December 25, 2012 at 12:38 AM

What are you? Some kind of Evangelical extremist ? !
( actually, me too … but don’t tell anyone, ’cause I don’t want to be persecuted … shhhhhhhhhhhhh . . . . . )
Merry Christ-Mass, Ed … : )
. . . . . . Jesus Is Lord !

listens2glenn on December 25, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Merry Christmas..:)

Dire Straits on December 25, 2012 at 12:50 AM

And the Lord said, I am the Alpha and Omega, the First and the Last, the beginning and the end.
There is no other God before me. I AM.

purgatory on December 25, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Merry Christmas and God bless all here and your families.

Elisa on December 25, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Merry Christmas Everyone! Thanks, Ed! You’ve been great all year. You have my respect, despite the naysayers.

After 7 months of brutal unemployment, I found a job with a company that needs me as much as I need them. My boss told me on Christmas Eve that I was ‘godsend’, well, he’s a good man and I know that because I’ve known him for awhile and, well, he’s a godsend too. He’s a small businessperson who sees a bright future but worries about the things that our government is doing.

With my experience, I can fix what’s broken there and he realizes that. I realize too, that my initial opportunity is purely what I make of it and I don’t mind being in the hot seat.

I spent the best Christmas Eve ever with family and friends at my home. It’s the first time we ever hosted anything and we hit it out of the park. It could not have been more picture perfect.

God Bless my fellow Hotheads during this season.

Merry Christmas, All.

Corporal Tunnel on December 25, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Merry Christmas.

Rode Werk on December 25, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Congrats on the job CT! Merry Christmas everyone!

txhsmom on December 25, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Merry Christmas to all!

itsspideyman on December 25, 2012 at 1:16 AM

A most heartfelt Christmas to all.

God bless us.

freedomfirst on December 25, 2012 at 1:18 AM

A very merry Christmas to all of you. Que Dios te bendiga.

princetrumpet on December 25, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Charles Schulz had to fight CBS to have that included — in 1965. We’ll have more on that later today.

May God continue to bless the late Charles Schultz. Why has it been controversial since I was 1 year old to put forth such a message, in the Land of the Free?

rbj on December 25, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Merry Christmas!, Ed!

And Merry Christmas to all of the HA’ers

Goody2Shoes on December 25, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Merry Christmas and may God bless all.

chemman on December 25, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Merry Christmas, everybody.

Othniel on December 25, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Merry xmas

[](/awwyeah)

GW_SS-Delta on December 25, 2012 at 1:35 AM

And a Merry Christmas to you and yours as well Ed…

Merry Christmas and God rest ye.

SWalker on December 25, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Merry Christmas from Kabul, Afghanistan.

I pray God saves the United States from our politicians. At least until I get home to help protect my family.

usarmyretired on December 25, 2012 at 1:53 AM

rbj on December 25, 2012 at 1:25 AM

I read somewhere that when it aired, TV executives were concerned that audiences would not like the citation from Scripture in a cartoon. The conventional wisdom at the time did not generally allow for something as holy as the Bible being placed into something as trivial as a kid’s cartoon. It was a matter of reverence. Of course, today the objections would be keeping the Bible off TV due to secularism. But I don’t think that was where the controversy lay back in 1965.

Executives also objected to other things like the use of children for voice actors and the jazz soundtrack.

HeIsSailing on December 25, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Merry Christmas!

posted at 12:01 am on December 25, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

…just got home…and see that Ed was on the job!…thanks Ed!…MERRY CHRISTMAS to each and every one of you at Hot Air!
…(yes…even the trolls!)

KOOLAID2 on December 25, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Today is about what is most truly important.

Merry Christmas to all!

Adjoran on December 25, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Merry Christmas to all!

aquaviva on December 25, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Happy Birthday, Jesus!

Christien on December 25, 2012 at 2:47 AM

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become the sons of God.

–C.S. Lewis

My favorite Christmas quote, I think.

29Victor on December 25, 2012 at 2:50 AM

I’ve certainly been about a lot less around here, since our country’s loss in November. (Been following news and blogs much less–let the hammer fall in blissful ignorance, is my creed. (Like cows to the slaughter.))

I’m a “Jesus-leaning deist”, Lol. My long-standing joke about my deism is the the religious and the atheists can have equal disdain for me.

Still, I say Merry Christmas to all of you folks.

I’ll leave you with this tune–my favorite.

(Wasn’t gonna post, but it’s a tradition. (Also, I can’t sleep.))

RedCrow on December 25, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Merry Christmas, Ed. I choose this occasion to say you have a charming speaking voice, wonderful presence, and preternatural patience.

How do I know this? Husband called me out of my usual A.M. makeup and hair routine in a Shreveport, LA hotel bathroom after a Morning Joe announcement that you would be on.

What I witnessed was debacle. It was just before that New York TV crew braced for Hurricane Sandy. Nearly everyone on set was (literally) all over the [Bill Karins] map!

I won’t describe the morning zoo (in which Willie Geist, Mika Brzezinski and Joe Scarborough himself participated) which seemed more suited for bizarro a.m. radio. Simply, my only thought was that you were a class act, Ed Morrisey, who deserved more airtime.

ummm…where was I? Oh Yeah,

Merry Christmas to all yall, too! And a Hot Gaseous New Year!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 25, 2012 at 3:25 AM

Seconded, thirded, eleventy!!!
Merry Christmas, everyone.

btw, pretty sure I just watched Santa do a fly over here in Houston TX, heh.

Stay safe, warm, happy — all.

mickytx on December 25, 2012 at 3:25 AM

May the Good Lord bless and keep you and yours – and best wishes for a joyful Christmas!

Right on December 25, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Merry Christmas to all of you!

tbear44 on December 25, 2012 at 6:09 AM

Merry Christmas everyone.

jix on December 25, 2012 at 6:19 AM

A very Merry Christmas to everyone at HotAir!

JetBoy on December 25, 2012 at 6:19 AM

Merry Christmas to the staff at HotAir, the loyal commenters, and the loyal trolls.

VibrioCocci on December 25, 2012 at 6:48 AM

“Be not afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of a great joy which will come to all the people; for to you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord…..”

Amen! And a very Merry Christmas to all

Rov

Rovin on December 25, 2012 at 6:52 AM

Merry Christmas and Good Morning to all from here in Texas! Thunder woke me up if you can believe it, and not the running feet down the stairs variety! I hope everyone has a blessed day!

txmomof6 on December 25, 2012 at 6:52 AM

Merry Christmas to all. Prayers to each and everyone of you for a safe and prosperous New Year. (Congratulations CT)

I’d like to share my favorite network greeting from back when they still at least made the attempt. This one makes me nostalgic.

The New Year will only be as good as we make it. If this is still a country you love and want to save, I beg you to rededicate yourself to it’s preservation and protection.

hawkdriver on December 25, 2012 at 6:56 AM

God bless us,every one!

Merry Christmas!

Beaglemom on December 25, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Merry Christmas, all… About to go wake up my baby to see if Santa came for her… The first one where she has some idea of what Christmas is. Special day for Dad, too…

All the best to all your families…

Peace

PointnClick on December 25, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Merry Christmas everyone!

lexhamfox on December 25, 2012 at 7:31 AM

When we talk of family, we do so with honor and respect.

When we talk of friends, we do so with respect.

I am honored to be a part of this family

Merry Christmas to you all and may you find what you wish under your tree.

May God Bless you and be safe, on this day and all others.

Remember those who will not be able to be with family today and pray for them. Remember the ones we have lost and let us also pray for them that they are looking down on us and are happy about the paths we have chosen. Pray for our BACA kids that they are able to spend this day with happiness and joy and without fear. I love you all and wish you a very merry Christmas from our BACA family to yours

Respectfully,

Katfish
Vice President
Brazos Valley BACA
“I won’t give up, shut up, or let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children. I must go until I drop, ride until I give out, and work till He stops me.”

RIP Jester

Katfish on December 25, 2012 at 7:33 AM

A most wonderful and joyful Christmas to you all and may you and yours find your dreams in 2013!

Limerick on December 25, 2012 at 7:36 AM

From the U.K
Merry Christmas & God bless America.

diogenes on December 25, 2012 at 7:44 AM

To quote Tiny Tim, “God bless us, every one!”

TooTall on December 25, 2012 at 7:48 AM

May the blessings God gave us through His son, Jesus Christ, be with us all year round.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

madmonkphotog on December 25, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Merry Christmas, y’all!

petefrt on December 25, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Merry Christmas everyone, from Nebraska.

cntrlfrk on December 25, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Merry Christmas to all – a (forecasted) White Christmas here in North Texas – after the thunderstorm.

tru2tx on December 25, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Merry Christmas!

Philly on December 25, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Steve Hayward at Powerline noticed something that I never had:

Linus drops his security blanket when he starts reciting the Scripture.

Merry Christmas to all at HotAir!

Wethal on December 25, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Merry Christmas to my HotAir Family. I am up to my elbows in Sausage Cheese Ball making. I hope everyone has a beautiful day and I pray the very best wishes for you and all you love.

Cindy Munford on December 25, 2012 at 8:15 AM

I love this, wish I could have been there.

Cindy Munford on December 25, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Merry Christmas from Kabul, Afghanistan.

usarmyretired on December 25, 2012 at 1:53 AM

And back at you!!

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Khun Joe on December 25, 2012 at 8:23 AM

A joyful Christmas to all! As we finally complete the gift giving and turkey/ham cooking, let us remember it is all about Jesus and His coming for us! As He said (John 3:17) “God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through Him!” And as John wrote in John 1:12, “As many of as received Him, to them He gave the right to be called the children of God.” The day I received Him was the most significant day of my life and it was almost 35 years ago. “Thanks be to God for His unfathomable gift!” Merry Christmas!

Christian Conservative on December 25, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Merry Christmas to our Hot Air family. You all are lights in the darkness. This year we celebrate our son home safely from AFG and remember all who are serving. “God is not dead nor does he sleep.”

indypat on December 25, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Merry Christmas, everybody. Let’s hope my kids survive it. After I warned them and warned them what the weather was going to do today, they didn’t pack warm clothes or socks, ASSuming I would hit Wal Mart. Well, Wally’s closed, boyo. Now I have to figure out what to do

Sekhmet on December 25, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Merry Christmas to all and everyone!

Remembering… the Great Christmas Truce of 1914 WWI. When two sides at war put down their weapons and met together in the middle of the battle filed to celebrate the birth of our Savior! To celebrate Christmas!

JellyToast on December 25, 2012 at 8:38 AM

“For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” – Isaiah 9:6

Merry Christmas, my friends! God Bless Us, Everyone! My gift.

kingsjester on December 25, 2012 at 8:42 AM

A very Merry Christmas to all!

Naturally Curly on December 25, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Merry Christmas, and may God bless us, everyone…

(And thank you kingsjester for the gift!)

dominigan on December 25, 2012 at 8:58 AM

dominigan on December 25, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Thank you! And, you’re welcome!

kingsjester on December 25, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Blessed & Joyous Christmas to everyone!

OmahaConservative on December 25, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Merry Christmas! We will split the day between here(my Mother in laws) and my Moms. Tomorrow is my Birthday. We will be sitting at the ocean watching the waves. It snowed two inches here last night, started just as we lit the last fire my better half’s Dad had prepared in the fireplace for us to have. Surreal.

XOXOXOXO to all my HA friends!

Bmore on December 25, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Merry ChrisTmas everyone!

conservative pilgrim on December 25, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Corporal Tunnel on December 25, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Great news! So happy for you. Merry Christmas!

conservative pilgrim on December 25, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Merry Christmas all………

crosshugger on December 25, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Merry Christmas to all @Hot Air!

NY Conservative on December 25, 2012 at 9:27 AM

May all here at HA have a Blessed and Merry Christmas.
L

letget on December 25, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Merry Christmas everybody! God Bless us everyone!

Mike Rathbone on December 25, 2012 at 9:36 AM

May you, your family, and friends all have a joyous and merry Christmas!

Yes, even for lefties on here! Merry Christmas, libfreeordie!

JimLennon on December 25, 2012 at 9:37 AM

God rest ye merry gentlemen,
Let nothing ye dismay!
Remember Christ our savior,
Was born on Christmas day,
To save us all from satan’s power
When we were gone astray.
Oh tidings of comfort and joy!

deimos on December 25, 2012 at 9:40 AM

To Ed and AP and Erika and Mary Katharine, and to the entire Hot Air Nation …

。 ° · 。 · ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛
。° 。 ° 。˚ ˛ · ˚ ˚ ˛
★MERRY★ 。 · ˚ ˚ ˛
。CHRISTMAS 。 。°
_Π__ 。 ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛
/_____/ \。˚ ˚ ˛ ˚
l田田田 |門| ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ ·

TXUS on December 25, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Merry Christmas to the HotAir family. Dwell not on despair, for day comes at the end of the night, and may my Lord lift you up and bless you.

tommy71 on December 25, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Thanks for the excellent clips, Ed!

Merry Christmas!
Maligayang Pasko!
Mele Kalikimaka!
!Feliz Navidad!
Frohes Weihnachten!

itsnotaboutme on December 25, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Merry Christmas all!

BKeyser on December 25, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Merry Christmas, everyone!

dogsoldier on December 25, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Merry Christmas to all!

Gothguy on December 25, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Merry Christmas, wonderful Hot Air family!

Weight of Glory on December 25, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Merry Christmas everyone.

Corsair on December 25, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Merry Christmas!

A cheery Chrismahanukwanzakah to the progressives and happy Festivus to the rest of you.

Fallon on December 25, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Merry Christmas to everyone here at HotAir!

psrch on December 25, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Merry Christmas, HA peeps!
When husband and Spawn get up, they’re gonna be greeted by : homemade french toast, turkey bacon, and hash browns. I don’t like making big meals because of my eating disorder, but what-the-hey…it’s Christmas!

annoyinglittletwerp on December 25, 2012 at 10:16 AM

The little one got us up at 5:00 a.m. (Santa was good to her this year).

Daddy went to bed at 1:00 a.m.

Even my hair hurts!

Merry Christmas all!

Tim_CA on December 25, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

CoffeeLover on December 25, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Merry Christmas, HA peeps!

annoyinglittletwerp
on December 25, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Did you have to tell us? … Now I want some. … boo hoo hoo: (

Merry Christ-Mass, ‘twerp: )

listens2glenn on December 25, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Merry Christmas. !

Lots of good folks here. Gives me hope in troubled times. And knowledge.

Thank you for that, and God bless.

wolly4321 on December 25, 2012 at 11:31 AM

listens2glenn on December 25, 2012 at 11:25 AM

*Aspie hug*

annoyinglittletwerp on December 25, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Merry Christmas one and all.

Oh to be a kid again – to a tired old cynic the joy is simply amazing.

PS. I think Santa is stuck in our chimney and there is something amazingly similar to reindeer poop in the yard

koaiko on December 25, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Merry Christmas, Ed!
Merry Christmas, AP! (Yeah, I know – tough)
Merry Christmas, MKH!
Merry Christmas, Erika!
Merry Christmas, Jazz and everyone else.
Merry Christmas, fellow commenters – even you, ernesto and friends.

May God bless us, everyone!

GWB on December 25, 2012 at 11:45 AM

On Merry Christmas presents presented by the missuse of wage slaves

Notwithstanding the happy children and all of U.S. on the 50% off sales due to the use of wage slaves, slaves are never happy in this regard. History has been created in fact out of the rebelion of slaves.

This very hour the personal responsibility of the use and control of wage slaves in China, India, Vietnam, Burma, Cambodia etal is a thing of personal responsibility of our side of the exchange.

Our goverment, in matter of fact “we the goverment”, enable, consent and direct the use of the above wage slaves as well as those very close to our homes, the illegals.

The slaves know who it is that uses them, the slaves understand who it is that enables these goverments to keep the yoke of slavery hard on them all.

Just because we are far removed from this evil does not mean we are guilt free. The masses in China are makeing a record within their ranks, word to word, deed to deed is known and will be known.

On this Christmas when we worry most about the money fight in Washington D.C. and think of the out come in the wage slaved priced things that we will be able to buy with any money saved for each of us, it is possible we do not see ourselves clear in the mix of use and missuse.

First Know Thyself.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on December 25, 2012 at 11:46 AM

there is something amazingly similar to reindeer poop in the yard

koaiko on December 25, 2012 at 11:42 AM

sorry…that was me.

Tim_CA on December 25, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Put simple:

If it is all about cheap things, how cheap are we?

APACHEWHOKNOWS on December 25, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Merry Christmas to ALL of the Hot Air family.

(Yes, trolls. You too. Perhaps the New Year will bring you the wisdom to see the error of your ways. Bless your pointy little heads.)

May all the Blessings of the Season be upon all of you.

Solaratov on December 25, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Have a blessed Christmas Ed. And Merry Christmas to staff & chatizens alike at HotAir.

theCork on December 25, 2012 at 12:05 PM