Slate to Obama: Enough about you, already

posted at 5:31 pm on December 22, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama flew to Hawaii this week after fiscal-cliff negotiations stalled, in part for a Christmas vacation, and in part to attend the memorial service for the late Senator Daniel Inouye.  Obama offered a eulogy for Inouye, which usually means offering insights into the deceased’s life and character.  Instead, as is Obama’s wont, he talked more about himself than the man whose life was supposed to be the center of attention.

Even Slate noticed the problem, and blasted Obama for his narcissistic streak:

Someone needs to tell Barack Obama—it must get particularly confusing this time of year—that his own birth is not Year One, the date around which all other events are understood. His much-noted, self-referential tic was on cringe-worthy display Friday when the president gave his eulogy for the late Sen. Daniel Inouye, who served in Congress for half a century representing Obama’s birth state of Hawaii.

Inouye was a Japanese-American war hero (he lost an arm in World War II, destroying his dream of becoming a surgeon), and as a senator he served on the Watergate committee, helped rewrite our intelligence charter after scandals, and was chairman of the Senate committee that investigated the Iran-Contra affair. It’s the kind of material any eulogist could use to give a moving sense of the man and his accomplishment. But President Barack Obama’s remarks at Inouye’s funeral service were a bizarre twirl around his own personal Kodak carousel.

This comes as no surprise to readers of Hot Air; it was a recurring theme in the Obamateurism series.  For that matter, so is Obama’s odd concept of math:

Obama likes to see events through the lens of his own life’s chronology. Thus we learn that Inouye was elected to the Senate when Obama was 2 years old.

Er, that’s not true.  Obama was born in August 1961, and Inouye won election to the Senate in November 1962, taking office in January 1963.  Obama wasn’t two years old, not even when rounding the numbers; he was one year old when Inouye won his Senate election.  (At least this isn’t as bad as Obama’s Selma math.)

Emily Yoffe continues:

Obama acknowledges that as a young person he was unaware of politics, and thus Inouye. But then something important happened that made young Obama pay attention to the first man to be elected to Congress from Hawaii after it joined the union. When Obama was 11 years old he went on vacation with his family, and those paying their respects to Inouye got to hear a long description of this amazing trip, from Seattle to Kansas, from Disneyland to Yellowstone. They heard of the young Obama’s happiness whenever the motel had a pool or an ice machine. And finally, as the people must have been twitching in the pews wondering where this was all going, we get back to the late senator.

It turns out the Watergate hearings were taking place at that time, too, and Obama’s mother watched them in their various hotel rooms. It surprised young Obama to see that a man of Japanese descent was a senator. Little did most people know that the most important thing to come out of the Watergate hearings was that Obama, with his mixed-race background, saw in Inouye a hint of “what might be possible in my own life.” That Obama in some way may have been inspired to a political career by a man who overcame prejudice and later became Obama’s colleague is a fine point to make. But it is an incidental one to the life being celebrated.

It’s fine to relate personal stories during eulogies, but they should have the deceased as the focal point, not the eulogist.  As Yoffe notes, this is a constant theme for Obama, whose speeches contain more self-referential pronouns than any of his predecessors of recent memory.  Even the President who earned the monicker “The Big Me,” Bill Clinton, looks positively humble in comparison.

We’ll include this one in the OOTY polls next week, to be sure.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Narcissist gives a narcissistic speech. Surprised?

ButterflyDragon on December 22, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Go find a ditch to die in.

lostmotherland on December 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Well come y’all body surfing in a ditch is hard.

Bmore on December 22, 2012 at 5:37 PM

come on

Bmore on December 22, 2012 at 5:38 PM

yoffe, who is otherwise an insufferable writer and a repulsive person, completely misread the speech. it was a perfectly good eulogy, just go ahead and read it for yourself.

linking to krauthammer, of all people, didn’t help either.

sesquipedalian on December 22, 2012 at 5:40 PM

It surprised young Obama to see that a man of Japanese descent was a senator.

Hmmm……this clown lived in Hawaii and was SURPRISED that an “oriental” was in a position of authority?

GIVE ME A BREAK!

GarandFan on December 22, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Me, me, ,me. me , I,I, I, I, I !

Sandybourne on December 22, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Yeah right, an 11 yr old watching the Watergate hearings, what a pant load. I’ll bet he talks to himself in the mirror, world class narcissist…

major dad on December 22, 2012 at 5:43 PM

linking to krauthammer, of all people, didn’t help either.

sesquipedalian on December 22, 2012 at 5:40 PM

^^^ another example of the left trying to tell us Obama really didn’t say what he said.

darwin on December 22, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Isn’t there something in the Ten Commandments about taking the lord’s name in vain?

Better watch out Slate.

Barack might smite thee, turn thee into a pillar of salt.

turfmann on December 22, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Someone needs to tell Barack Obama—it must get particularly confusing this time of year—that his own birth is not Year One, the date around which all other events are understood. His much-noted, self-referential tic was on cringe-worthy display Friday when the president gave his eulogy for the late Sen. Daniel Inouye, who served in Congress for half a century representing Obama’s birth state of Hawaii.

BWAHAHAHAHAH… Welcome to the Stout Hemp Rope Party… Slate…

SWalker on December 22, 2012 at 5:46 PM

This is because 0bama was born in Kenya in November 1964.

One reason not to tell lies is to make it easier to keep one’s life story straight.

cane_loader on December 22, 2012 at 5:46 PM

darwin on December 22, 2012 at 5:44 PM

have you read the speech?

sesquipedalian on December 22, 2012 at 5:47 PM

major dad on December 22, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Believe it or not, our Social Studies teachers planted our little 11 year old butts in front of televisions to watch the Senate Select Committee chaired by Senator Sam Ervin. And it wasn’t just once or twice, either – the teachers took a lot of interest in it and made sure we understood what was happening.

But I’m with you regarding Barry – I’m sure he was sucking on a bong right about then.

turfmann on December 22, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Me? I waiting for Obama to give his own eulogy. That would be an Obama speech I could get up for.

PD Quig on December 22, 2012 at 5:51 PM

have you read the speech?

sesquipedalian on December 22, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Did he refer to himself 63 times or not? Who does that in any speech much less a speech remembering someone else.

darwin on December 22, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I had a hard time voting for a man to be president who aspired one day to become a god. But I realized that the alternative was a man who already thinks he is one.

29Victor on December 22, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Did you see this great picture of Bob Dole as he paid his respects?

Please take a look and save for future reference.

JPeterman on December 22, 2012 at 5:54 PM

bho stinks! A horrible snotty petty ‘I won’ brat that thinks the whole US is HIS and he is king/dictator of our nation? It is all about bho, nothing but bho, and everything else means zero but bho!
L

letget on December 22, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Not to shift blames from Obama, BUT.

All of that historical stuff Daniel Inouye did was before the hip young Obama staffers. It wasn’t on FB, and all these young staffers writing the eulogy cut their teeth with Obama as the Center of Universe.

Sir Napsalot on December 22, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Barack might smite thee, turn thee into a pillar of salt.

turfmann on December 22, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I think big ass Michelle has banned salt, so he’s gonna have to turn his powers up a little, and turn thee into something else, lest he face her wrath.

msupertas on December 22, 2012 at 5:58 PM

And we get to hear this douche nozzle for another 4 years. So, yeah, we got that going for us.

Sugar Land on December 22, 2012 at 5:58 PM

ROFL

Was little choomer stoned and laughing as he watched Watergate.

Bishop on December 22, 2012 at 6:00 PM

It surprised him that a Japanese was Senator? Was he an idiot? Japanese have been active in Hawaiian politics since the 1920s. And he was preceded by Hiram Fong, a Chinese.

pat on December 22, 2012 at 6:03 PM

darwin on December 22, 2012 at 5:53 PM

he uses his own story to tell a more powerful one about inouye. there’s nothing wrong with that.

sesquipedalian on December 22, 2012 at 6:03 PM

sucxksabigone on December 22, 2012 at 6:03 PM

The kool-aid is strong with this one.

SWalker on December 22, 2012 at 6:05 PM

“Mi, mi, mi, mi!”

“Is that an opera singer doing vocal exercises?”

“No, it’s Obama rehearsing his next speech.”

Marxism is for dummies on December 22, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Uh oh – when obama begins to lose his own state-run propaganda outlets, he’s in trouble (but I won’t get my hopes up).

Pork-Chop on December 22, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Did you see this great picture of Bob Dole as he paid his respects?

Please take a look and save for future reference.

JPeterman on December 22, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Great picture, Thanks.

davidk on December 22, 2012 at 6:06 PM

‘Slate’ disinvited from DC cocktail party circuit effective immediately…

Khun Joe on December 22, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I know after a long day of traveling the best way to get the kids settled down is to have them watch a senate hearing.

Yeah, sure.

Bishop on December 22, 2012 at 6:08 PM

I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I.

Bmore on December 22, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Not to shift blames from Obama, BUT.

Sir Napsalot on December 22, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Good point.

However, if a fraud accepts personal credit for speaking the memorable and/or otherwise inspirational words written by another — without proper attribution — then he has to accept the blame as well when those words fail and/or otherwise fall flat.

BTW: I hated Romney the flip-flopper and architect of ObamaCare, but I respected the hell out of him because he wrote HIS OWN speeches. That’s virtually unheard of in national politics lo these many decades …

ShainS on December 22, 2012 at 6:09 PM

This comes as no surprise to readers of Hot Air; it was a recurring theme in the Obamateurism series. For that matter, so is Obama’s odd concept of math:

Like his odd math when it came to Selma Alabama.

LIE # 1.) Selma Got Me Born – LIAR, your parents felt safe enough to have you in 1961 – Selma had no effect on your birth, as Selma was in 1965. (Google ‘Obama Selma’ for his full March 4, 2007 speech and articles about its various untruths.)-Truth!
This refers to a speech Obama gave and when he did get the dates of his birth and the events at Selma backwards.

It was in 2007 at a celebration of the famous Selma-to- Montgomery Voting Rights March in Alabama that took place in March, 1965.

At one point in the speech, Obama described how that was the environment in which his father came to the United States and met his mother. Then he said, “There was something stirring across the country because of what happened in Selma, Alabama, because some folks are willing to march across a bridge. So they got together and Barack Obama Jr. was born. So don’t tell me I don’t have a claim on Selma, Alabama. Don’t tell me I’m not coming home to Selma, Alabama.”

The Selma Voting Rights March was in March, 1965. Barack Obama was born on August 4, 1961 so he was not born in the shadow of what happened in Selma.

bazil9 on December 22, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Remember when Obama altered the biographies of every past president in the White House website to include his accomplishments in each one?

This is a man who wrote not one but TWO autobiographies before he turned 50, before he accomplished anything.

itsnotaboutme on December 22, 2012 at 6:09 PM

itsnotaboutme on December 22, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Who was given a Noble Prize for doing absolutely nothing.

SWalker on December 22, 2012 at 6:11 PM

“All through the day I me mine, I me mine, I me mine.
All through the night I me mine, I me mine, I me mine.”

aquaviva on December 22, 2012 at 6:12 PM

I WON..IIIIIII
ME ME ME ME

lIe lIe lIe

bazil9 on December 22, 2012 at 6:13 PM

As a young person he was chooming his brains out, and thus unaware of everything.

KS Rex on December 22, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Enough about me, let’s talk about you. What do you think of me?

RadClown on December 22, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Who knew he was a racist at 11? Eleven-year-old boys should be out beating the bushes for nice looking caterpillars. Who makes racial distinctions at that age?

Irene Flick on December 22, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Irene Flick on December 22, 2012 at 6:15 PM

People whose parents are racists. Look at Arab Islamic culture, it isn’t just the Fakestinian’s that teach their children from the cradle to hate everyone that isn’t Muslim.

SWalker on December 22, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Obama has a right to extoll his virtues…he is the most powerful man on the planet

first black president of harvard law review

wrote 2 bestsellers

won nobel peace prize

won 2 terms as president

killed bin laden

stabilized US economy after the mess bush created

I can’t blame him for being proud of himself, I would too, and so would anyone here if we could accomplish 1/100th of what he has.

nonpartisan on December 22, 2012 at 6:18 PM

SWalker on December 22, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Bingo.

bazil9 on December 22, 2012 at 6:19 PM

nonpartisan on December 22, 2012 at 6:18 PM

STFU and STFD Barack Insane Obama. You have accomplished NOTHING to brag about.

SWalker on December 22, 2012 at 6:21 PM

did he tell the story about the dog in Indonesia? That one’s hilarious.

Slade73 on December 22, 2012 at 6:21 PM

So has he taped his Christmas message yet?

Will it have, “Yes, this is the time that Christians celebrate Christ’s birth. Of course, when I was born…..”

Wethal on December 22, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Strictly speaking – Kenyans aren’t the center of the universe, they’re closer to Central Africa

Slade73 on December 22, 2012 at 6:24 PM

nonpartisan

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Bishop on December 22, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Remember when he and Michelle went to Copenhagen to lobby for the Olympics, and tried to convince the Olympic Committee that it would be so wonderful to have it in Chicago because Obama began his political career there and Michelle grew up there watching the Olympics while sitting on her daddy’s lap?

“Chicago is out? Chicago is out?” Good times, good times.

Wethal on December 22, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Slate had better be careful. The regime will have Google declare them a malware attack site. There’s a lot of that going around lately and…funniest thing…it’s conservative sites getting the boot.

Can anyone here can explain to me why Google has any say over what loads on Firefox or IE? These warnings I get aren’t coming from Kaspersky. They’re coming through Google and I don’t even have Chrome loaded on this computer.

Barry-O’s evidently not content to control just his own narrative. He wants to control everyone else’s.

creeper on December 22, 2012 at 6:26 PM

wrote 2 bestsellers

won nobel peace prize

It’s amazing what Affirmative Action and a relationship with a good author (Bill Ayers) can do

stabilized US economy after the mess bush created

nonpartisan on December 22, 2012 at 6:18 PM

nevermind. you’re stupid

Slade73 on December 22, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Writing two books about yourself is an accomplishment?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Bishop on December 22, 2012 at 6:27 PM

It is an accomplishment, just not one of Obama’s

Slade73 on December 22, 2012 at 6:29 PM

stabilized US economy after the mess bush created

nonpartisan on December 22, 2012 at 6:18 PM

What universe do you inhabit?

President Downgrade is the laughingstock of our biggest creditors, the Chinese? We are borrowing to pay interest on our debt, and the Choomer wants to spend even more.

Obysmal has the self-absorption of a child.

onlineanalyst on December 22, 2012 at 6:31 PM

That’s Churchillian, right there.

/sarc

Paul-Cincy on December 22, 2012 at 6:31 PM

nonpartisan on December 22, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Sure dear, how about you hit the blackboard and right that out for me sixteen plus trillion times. Hop to it slacker, you’re gonna need an awful lot of chalk. Oh, and Aloha. Low info type I have to presume. I’ll add you to the list. ; )

Bmore on December 22, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Did you see this great picture of Bob Dole as he paid his respects?

Please take a look and save for future reference.

JPeterman on December 22, 2012 at 5:54 PM

The article accompanying the photo is good, too.

We are seeing the last of American statesmen, I believe.

onlineanalyst on December 22, 2012 at 6:33 PM

right=write, gotta replace this dang iPad thingy! /

Bmore on December 22, 2012 at 6:34 PM

I guess this is why America is great.

A pot smoking Kenyan can think he’s the bees knees, and be totally right.

Slade73 on December 22, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Obama, the Vainglorious –Mark Steyn, superbly

Obama is the Vulture in Chief, feeding on carrion, from hour one.

Hyennas have more decency.

Schadenfreude on December 22, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Narcissists, who make the worst leaders, so often get there on their personal charm. Obama has little else. Narcissists make the worst leaders because they’re only concerned with how they look, not about good policy. They are a disaster.

Paul-Cincy on December 22, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Not to pick at nits Ed but Slate calling Inouye a “war hero” is equally cringe-worthy. The man won a Medal of Honor for his actions. That puts him in a completely different group of hero.

Happy Nomad on December 22, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Glory to Ramirez, a national treasure at a time in need.

Schadenfreude on December 22, 2012 at 6:40 PM

That puts him in a completely different group of hero.

Happy Nomad on December 22, 2012 at 6:39 PM

you mean, like Obama’s level?

Slade73 on December 22, 2012 at 6:41 PM

But enough about me…

What do you think about me?

And the sheeple of this country re-elected him.

Crusader Rabbit on December 22, 2012 at 6:41 PM

That’s Churchillian, right there.

/sarc

Paul-Cincy on December 22, 2012 at 6:31 PM

And they should have heard about how REALLY happy he got when he saw a “coke” machine.

VegasRick on December 22, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Paul-Cincy on December 22, 2012 at 6:39 PM

It is worse than that. The rat-eared wonder is a narcissist with a cult following of stupid greedy folk who just gave him a second term so that they won’t have to work. They are parasites and mooches but they adore this filthy bastard and what he represents.

For the unwanted bastard child of a slut from Kansas and Kenyan socialist to speak at the funeral of a real American from Hawaii is just offensive.

Happy Nomad on December 22, 2012 at 6:43 PM

nonpartisan on December 22, 2012 at 6:18 PM

If you’re gonna be strange about this save it for another thread. We’re talking about someone elses funeral here.

DaveDief on December 22, 2012 at 6:44 PM

you mean, like Obama’s level?

Slade73 on December 22, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Um……. No.

Happy Nomad on December 22, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Did you see this great picture of Bob Dole as he paid his respects?

Please take a look and save for future reference.

JPeterman on December 22, 2012 at 5:54 PM

At the very end of his 1996 campaign, Dole had to intimate that Clinton wasn’t qualified because of his character. But when you look at Obama, who compared to Clinton is so much more concerned about how he appears and so much less concerned over the future of America, I have to tell you, Senator Dole, as far as a lack of character goes, you ain’t seen nothin’ yet. At least Clinton made an effort at good policy. Obama’s narcissism nearly consumes him, and us.

Paul-Cincy on December 22, 2012 at 6:44 PM

itsnotaboutme on December 22, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Who was given a Noble Prize for doing absolutely nothing.

SWalker on December 22, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Actually… his presidential library is going to be a great place to visit… Imagine the grand ‘Goof on Obama’ bus tours that will start to be run in about 20 years.

RalphyBoy on December 22, 2012 at 6:45 PM

nonpartisan on December 22, 2012 at 6:18 PM

lol. Bill Ayers wrote one of Obama’s “best sellers.” I have no idea who wrote the second.

bw222 on December 22, 2012 at 6:45 PM

the Greatest Black Man in History (according to himself) is half white

Slade73 on December 22, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Reminds me of something that Spike Lee said in 2008, that we will have to start measuring time as being “Before Obama” and “After Obama” (instead of BC and AD, of course). Looks like the president is already doing that.

sydneyjane on December 22, 2012 at 6:47 PM

But enough about me….instead, let’s examine my accomplishments and draw parallels to the Senators.

What friggin’ d-bag.

Tim_CA on December 22, 2012 at 6:49 PM

“But this is at a time when you didn’t have 600 stations and 24 hours’ worth of cartoons.”

And I thought the Wellstone funeral was the all-time low for Dem funerals.

Wethal on December 22, 2012 at 6:49 PM

laugh a little Happy Nomad

Sluts from Kansas and Kenyan socialists can’t take that away from you

Slade73 on December 22, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Choom!

Philly on December 22, 2012 at 6:50 PM

sesquipedalian on December 22, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Get up off your knees and wipe your chin. You look silly.

jawkneemusic on December 22, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Paul-Cincy on December 22, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Thanks for history lesson. Really, I appreciate it.

JPeterman on December 22, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Paul-Cincy on December 22, 2012 at 6:39 PM

He is NOT charming. He’s an underdeveloped narcissistic teenager, who’ll never grow up. He also will never produce anything other than hot air about his ego.

May all who brung him, and all their loved ones, suffocate from what they eat, his sh*t, not Beluga caviar.

Schadenfreude on December 22, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Get up off your knees and wipe your chin. You look silly.

jawkneemusic on December 22, 2012 at 6:52 PM

He looks like he blew a seal.

VegasRick on December 22, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Expect nothing less from the megalomaniac in chief.

The Count on December 22, 2012 at 6:57 PM

laugh a little Happy Nomad

Sluts from Kansas and Kenyan socialists can’t take that away from you

Slade73 on December 22, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I’ll laugh again when this long national nightmare is no more.

Happy Nomad on December 22, 2012 at 6:58 PM

sesquipedalian is saying that it is perfectly OK for Obama to inject himself as much as he did in the eulogy..

he is the most powerful man on the planet
nonpartisan on December 22, 2012 at 6:18 PM

nonpartisan thinks it was a campaign stop..

Electrongod on December 22, 2012 at 6:59 PM

What friggin’ d-bag.

Tim_CA on December 22, 2012 at 6:49 PM

How else would a douchebag like Obama do things. Attach himself to folk who have actually accomplished “stuff” and contributed to society. The filthy bastard is a poser at best.

Happy Nomad on December 22, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Most people in this country can’t even spell “narcissistic” let alone tell you what it means. But, most people are just as narcissistic as he is.

SAMinVA on December 22, 2012 at 7:02 PM

sesquipedalian on December 22, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I think you and Nonpartisan probably have a different idea than most adults as what character is. Remember this is Slate that discussed this.

DaveDief on December 22, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Paul-Cincy on December 22, 2012 at 6:39 PM

He is NOT charming.

Schadenfreude on December 22, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I don’t see his charm, myself, but plenty of people do. It’s an effort for me to distinguish between what I believe and the reality of things. People find Obama charming. The relaxed walk, the easy smile, his immediate family, his public pose of sincerity and honesty. I don’t find narcissism charming, but I’m in the minority. I don’t find Bill Clinton charming either.

Paul-Cincy on December 22, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Tiny men

Schadenfreude on December 22, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Paul-Cincy on December 22, 2012 at 7:07 PM

You’re ok.

He’s NOT charming.

They are all dummies who deserve him in full. May he continue to destroy them. He hates the middle class. They will be next when Cliffmas happens. They stand in his Utopian path.

Schadenfreude on December 22, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Remember this is Slate that discussed this.

DaveDief on December 22, 2012 at 7:04 PM

she has a name, it’s emily yoffe, and she has a horrible advice column at slate.

sesquipedalian on December 22, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Paul-Cincy on December 22, 2012 at 7:07 PM

He’s ‘charming’ like Adolf was. Goebbels is most pleased with Obama.

Schadenfreude on December 22, 2012 at 7:11 PM

“… the overt type of NPD person uses his persona to directly take the spotlight and openly demand an endless supply of public attention such as admiration, respect, awe or perhaps even fear. Socially, the overt NPD type is apt to convey the feeling that you are the audience, there to enjoy her entertaining personality, to be impressed by her power, money, intellectual prowess, or physical prowess. You might feel drawn into her sphere, as if you were being swept into a trance. You may also have a feeling of intoxication as this happens because the NPD individual is conveying the message that you too are special, so special that she wants to charm you.”

Eleanor Payson. The Wizard of Oz and Other Narcissists: Coping with the One-Way Relationship in Work, Love, and Family (Kindle Locations 320-324). Kindle Edition.

although i for one have never found little barry charming, this is the dynamic tragically reenforced by this thing being re-elected… and why so many, despite the outrageous attention whoring of It in the most inappropriate of situations( the funerals of unrelated persons, for example, or scarfing up face and agenda time at mass murder tragedy), refuse to stop shinning It on.

obama hits them repeatedly and it always feels like a kiss.

mittens on December 22, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Paul-Cincy on December 22, 2012 at 7:07 PM

He’s popular as is sesqui on HA.

Schadenfreude on December 22, 2012 at 7:12 PM

mittens on December 22, 2012 at 7:11 PM

See also Symptoms, top/left.

Schadenfreude on December 22, 2012 at 7:13 PM

sesquipedalian on December 22, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Thanks. We probably should get Obama’s speechwriter’s name too. Maybe it’s not Obama’s fault. Maybe his speechwriter is setting him up to look like a self-referential, egocentric individual and Obama just doesn’t see through it.

DaveDief on December 22, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Even Slate noticed the problem, and blasted Obama for his narcissistic streak

It’s not his streak. It’s his essence.

petefrt on December 22, 2012 at 7:19 PM