Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on December 22, 2012 by Allahpundit

Mr. Obama repeatedly lost patience with the speaker as negotiations faltered. In an Oval Office meeting last week, he told Mr. Boehner that if the sides didn’t reach agreement, he would use his inaugural address and his State of the Union speech to tell the country the Republicans were at fault.

At one point, according to notes taken by a participant, Mr. Boehner told the president, “I put $800 billion [in tax revenue] on the table. What do I get for that?”

“You get nothing,” the president said. “I get that for free.”

***

Had there been a vote on Republican House Speaker John Boehner’s “Plan B” to avert the so-called U.S. fiscal cliff on Thursday night, it would not have been close. He was probably 40 to 50 votes short of the number he needed to avoid a humiliating defeat at the hands of his own party, according to rough estimates from Republican members of Congress and staff members…

“Some people really really really really talked themselves into believing it was a tax increase even though Grover Norquist, of all people, said it wasn’t,” said Cole, referring to the anti-tax activist responsible for “the pledge” not to raise taxes that most Republicans sign.

“That is like me talking myself into believing something is a sin even though the Pope tells me it is not,” Cole said.

***

“I think that there were members that are so gun shy about primaries that they weren’t willing to take a risk … some members told me that it was just too hard to explain how it wasn’t a tax increase,” Rep. Mike Coffman (R-Colo.) said shortly following Thursday night’s abrupt conference meeting where Boehner told his colleagues they wouldn’t vote on the bill…

One lawmaker, who has served on the whip team for several years, told The Hill that he was “whipping people that I’ve never had to whip before.”

The lawmaker, who requested anonymity, was getting frustrated with his colleagues for regurgitating the “the same old bull—- lines … like, ‘If we don’t hold the line, or if we cave’… And I said, ‘What??? Then what?’”

He was able to turn several votes when his colleagues couldn’t answer “what then.”

***

As things stand now, some worry that nothing short of a catastrophe could force a resolution.

“We have sunk to the lowest common denominator in order to get a deal — sheer panic,” said Republican strategist Ron Bonjean, a former aide to House and Senate leadership. “The reality of a stock market crash is probably the only way Washington will strike a deal. It is probably the only scenario that could likely force the speaker’s hand and allow for a deal driven by Democratic votes to pass the House.”

Which, of course, is not an ideal way to govern.

“The hard-core anti-tax conservatives in the GOP seem to believe that Barack Obama will be blamed if there is no agreement reached to avoid sequestration and the tax increases that are coming,” said Sheldon D. Pollack, a University of Delaware law and political science professor who has written a history of Republican anti-tax policy. “Calculated gamble? Or are they simply incapable of recognizing that they do not control the White House or the Senate, and hence do not have the ability to control the agenda? Sadly, I think it is the latter.”

***

Several conservative House Republican members are contemplating a plan to unseat Speaker John Boehner from his position on January 3, Breitbart News has exclusively learned. Staffers have compiled a detailed action plan that, if executed, could make this a reality…

Since there are 233 Republicans heading into the next Congress, only 17 Republicans would be needed to unseat Boehner. The House would continue having multiple elections throughout the day on January 3 until it agreed upon a new Speaker…

If Boehner loses on that first election try, he’ll be battered. For now, this is a leaderless movement – an “Anybody but Boehner” charge. But after that first secret ballot election wouldn’t have earned him his speakership back, those planning this ouster expect viable alternatives to emerge at that point.

One of those alternatives, they think, will unite the party and take the speakership.

***

“This was not a vote of no confidence in the Speaker,” freshman Rep. Mick Mulvaney (R-S.C.), an opponent of Boehner’s Plan B legislation, said in an interview. “This was a legislative defeat, not a personal defeat.”

Another vocal critic of the Speaker’s proposal, Rep. John Fleming (R-La.), said: “He is my Speaker, and I support him.”…

When asked if Boehner’s Speakership was in trouble, freshman Rep. Austin Scott (R-Ga.) — a conservative in the majority-making class of 2010 — gave a resounding “Hell, no!” to The Hill on Friday morning…

One conservative House Republican, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said the only way Boehner’s position is likely to be in serious jeopardy is if he agrees to raise the debt ceiling in a fiscal-cliff deal with Obama without significant concessions on spending cuts and entitlement reform from the president.

“If he gives away the debt ceiling, he’s in trouble,” the member said.

***

Risks to Boehner’s speakership be damned, Democratic leaders are anticipating they may have to join him in large numbers to pass a bill.

“There’s no rule preventing him from allowing the entire House to work its will, Democrats and Republicans together, and that may mean that we have to pass something that does not have 50 percent of Republicans on board,” Rep. Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., the ranking Democrat on the House Budget Committee, told National Journal…

One GOP member, who spoke on the condition of anonymity so he could speak openly, predicted the country “would go through the cliff, [President Obama] will figure out what deal he can cut, it’ll go through the Senate and we’ll have to pass it out,” he said.

***

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) is resisting pressure from Republicans pushing for the Senate to take a more active role to avoid the “fiscal cliff” after House legislation stalled Thursday.

Reid has rejected Speaker John Boehner’s (R-Ohio) assertion that avoiding the fiscal cliff now depends on President Obama working out a deal with the Senate. Reid’s allies said it is unrealistic to expect him and Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) to step in and hammer out an eleventh-hour agreement…

“We’re now in a bad spot,” said Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.). “I hope we don’t go over the cliff but I think we are.”

***

“The American people re-elected President Obama on Election Day. They also re-elected a Republican majority in the House,” he said, confronting rhetoric by opponents who say Boehner needs to bow to the will of the majority of American people who elected a president that campaigned on higher taxes for the wealthiest Americans.

“In doing so, they gave us all a mandate,” he continued. “It was not a mandate to raise tax rates on families and small businesses. It was a mandate for us to work together to begin solving the massive debt that threatens our country’s future.”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 7

This is what a dying republic leaves behind: echoes of recriminations.

Axe on December 22, 2012 at 8:35 PM

^Bishop.

Axe on December 22, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Bungee jumpin’ for me!

Electrongod on December 22, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I was just about to post that first quotation that encapsulates Obysmal’s ego and the role of his worshipping media.

Was there any doubt that the Fresh Prince of Bill Ayers would not use his prime speech settings– the Inauguration and the State of the Union– to trash the Republicans, regardless of what agreement was hammered out?

Fie on that perpetual adolescent.

onlineanalyst on December 22, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Au revoir

Schadenfreude on December 22, 2012 at 8:37 PM

*And roads that barbarians use.

Telling the truth requires anonymity for elected representatives. Unreal.

Axe on December 22, 2012 at 8:38 PM

There is no agenda behind this “analysis,” no siree.

Sheldon, we do not have a taxation problem. We have a spending problem.

onlineanalyst on December 22, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I hope Obama gets a sun burn…

Electrongod on December 22, 2012 at 8:39 PM

This is what dictators and the Communists do. Where are our leaders?

JPeterman on December 22, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Courtesy ProfShadow, from comment in the headlines

Schadenfreude on December 22, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Fluke You” — The Country

Obama will scroom the middle class royally. He is for the expiration of all Bush taxes, just lies about it. He hates the middle class. They are in his Utopian path.

Schadenfreude on December 22, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Where are our leaders?

JPeterman on December 22, 2012 at 8:40 PM

In Obama’s azz. It’s not Beluga caviar, fools.

Media, may you all spontaneously combust. You don’t deserve to work/live free.

Schadenfreude on December 22, 2012 at 8:43 PM

This is what dictators and the Communists do. Where are our leaders?

JPeterman on December 22, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Afraid to speak openly, apparently.

Axe on December 22, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Obama: “Nobody can get 100% of what they want”

Unless you are Obama…
And somebody else pays for your 3 week Christmas awesome trip..

Electrongod on December 22, 2012 at 8:46 PM

“You get nothing,” the president said. “I get that for free.”

So glad I got out in time .

burrata on December 22, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Afraid to speak openly, apparently.

Axe on December 22, 2012 at 8:46 PM

It’s time.

Takin’ It To The Streets

JPeterman on December 22, 2012 at 8:50 PM

How many will die this time?

wolly4321 on December 22, 2012 at 8:50 PM

“… he would use his inaugural address and his State of the Union speech to tell the country the Republicans were at fault.”

He is/was going to do it anyway…

… why couldn’t Boehner see that?

Send up a bill extending the “Bush Tax Cuts” for everyone, makeing them permanent…

… along with cuts in about 16 Trillion in spending, and the elimination of the ‘Base Line Budget’.

Then walk away…

… Any time anyone puts a camera in front of your face, tell the Nation that it is the out of control spending that is the difference, and higher taxes isn’t going to solve the problem.

Keep saying it, for the next two years as the economy collapses, all the time pointing to Obowma reminding the people that he is the “President”, and he and the Democrats in the Senate refuse to pass a budget or deal with spending cuts…

If you can’t do it John…

… I’m sure Paul Ryan can.

Seven Percent Solution on December 22, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Ditch digger, ditch digger, dig me a ditch.

Go find a ditch to die in.
lostmotherland on December 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Bmore on December 22, 2012 at 8:51 PM

This is what dictators and the Communists do. Where are our leaders?

JPeterman on December 22, 2012 at 8:40 PM

They are practicing to be Communist Dictators. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Curtiss on December 22, 2012 at 8:53 PM

After reading through these quotes, who here still thinks Boehner and his current leadership team should still remain?

I have never in my life seen such an inept bunch of leaders, never!

“You get nothing,” the president said. “I get that for free.”

Wow! For real? Can you imagine Obama saying this to Gingrich?

And Boehner still wants to stay on as Speaker instead of resigning in disgrace?

TheRightMan on December 22, 2012 at 8:54 PM

I told the lady who cuts my hair about my version of Let.It.Burn. (the one I posted here) this morning when I got my ears lowered. She loved it.

I think she’s a potential member of Walker’s “Hemp Rope” movement.

predator on December 22, 2012 at 8:58 PM

This is what dictators and the Communists do.
JPeterman on December 22, 2012 at 8:40 PM

and they told me 30 yrs ago that USA will never ever be a marxist dictatorship…..and I believed them :(

burrata on December 22, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I GET THAT FOR FREE!!

Just like his supporters……he wants FREE.

Worst President in American History.

PappyD61 on December 22, 2012 at 8:58 PM

predator on December 22, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Okay, some of us weren’t here.

cozmo on December 22, 2012 at 9:00 PM

“I put $800 billion [in tax revenue] on the table. What do I get for that?”

“You get nothing,” the president said. “I get that for free.”

Any normal man after being dissed on several occasions in the past—incl. “I won John”, would have got up and stated “You won Barry, it’s all on you, prik” and left.

arnold ziffel on December 22, 2012 at 9:00 PM

And Boehner still wants to stay on as Speaker instead of resigning in disgrace?

TheRightMan on December 22, 2012 at 8:54 PM

You voted for Obama, you have no dog in this hunt.

If Romney is the nominee, I will vote for Obama and will enjoy doing so.

TheRightMan on December 28, 2011 at 11:21 AM

JPeterman on December 22, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Taxes, tariffs, fines, fees, executive orders, legislation, registrations, liscenses, permits, zoning laws, and a million others.

Compliance. Comply or get punished.

Freedom?

The structure is in place for a narciististic megalomaniac to take over.

And he did.

wolly4321 on December 22, 2012 at 9:01 PM

It’s time.

JPeterman on December 22, 2012 at 8:50 PM

It might be. We’re our leaders. No poetry. They have become a disinterested and detached alternate power base.

This is as adversarial as I’ve ever seen this relationship. To find anything more broken and at-odds, I need a history book.

Axe on December 22, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I think she’s a potential member of Walker’s “Hemp Rope” movement.

predator on December 22, 2012 at 8:58 PM

If we can get people to take the Stout Hemp Rope Party seriously, even if as just a starting point for a national discussion, can you imagine the impact on the national discourse?

SWalker on December 22, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Axe on December 22, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Or you could read my blog post, Welcome to the Stout Hemp Rope Party…, I know.. crazy talk, but there it is.

SWalker on December 22, 2012 at 9:03 PM

arnold ziffel on December 22, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Hear, hear!

The wimpier our “leaders” become, the more emboldened the Boy King will become.

4Grace on December 22, 2012 at 9:03 PM

You get nothing,” the president said. “I get that for free.”

I don’t know about the rest of you…

… but defunding the entire government, apart from our soldiers in the field, would be my response to this piece of sh%t.

Seven Percent Solution on December 22, 2012 at 9:05 PM

…E X E C U T E…!!!

KOOLAID2 on December 22, 2012 at 9:06 PM

This is what dictators and the Communists do. Where are our leaders?

JPeterman on December 22, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I am really really sad today.

A true leader will have refused to negotiate further with Obama after his “You get nothing… I get it for free” statement.

Remember… “I won”?

The GOP Establishment/RINOs only seem to find their gonads when they are battling conservatives.

Compare how the GOP establishment and their media apparatchiks went ballistic on conservatives after Boehner’s Plan B failed to… their absolute silence in the face of Obama and the Dems’ assault on our freedoms and way of life.

How many so-called GOP moderates/RINOs have ever called the Dems names like “hobbits”, “chuckleheads”, etc…? So-called GOP strategists kept telling us that we dare not attack Obama personally for fear of turning off independents.

Apparently conservatives are fair game for insults…

Yep, that is the twisted world we find ourselves in.

TheRightMan on December 22, 2012 at 9:08 PM

So glad I got out in time .

burrata on December 22, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Did you leave?

JPeterman on December 22, 2012 at 9:08 PM

predator on December 22, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Okay, some of us weren’t here.

cozmo on December 22, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Okay, here goes (in response to Terrye):

And for all the people who say let it burn…I say you are hypocrites…crying and whining about tax hikes while you go out of your way to wish tax hikes on everyone. All your talk about principles is just that: TALK..it means nothing.
Terrye

No whining here. My version of let it burn says let Obama have everything he wants. Everything. Tax hikes, more spending, more money printing. It will burn. It will collapse. It simply will not hold up over time.

But you will never convince people who support O of the impending doom of this. Words will never convince them. They’re brainwashed. The only thing that will convince them is to experience it first hand. Then and only then will they see that this can’t go on.

It will be very hard on the country, and by extension, the world. But it will be a hard lesson learned the hard way, which is what a lot of these people need.

And who will better survive it? The makers? Or the takers?
I say we, the makers, will survive it best. The takers have no idea how to survive on their own. They’ve never had to. They don’t want to. They don’t know how.

And when we rise from the wreckage then we’ll do things right.

That is your greatest fear, I think. You’re not confident in your own ability to make it through. That is why you’re being so shrill about doing something to avoid this. Meeting the opposition half way will never rectify this problem. It is tough love time.

Let. It. Burn.

predator on December 20, 2012 at 9:02 PM

predator on December 22, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Feelinng a little sad that the nation didn’t get to see this before the election. Having revealed themselves incapable of executing basic responsibilities, the Republicans probably would have lost the House, as well as the Senate and the presidency. This debacle will mark them for a generation.

urban elitist on December 22, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Anyone here ever watch the movie rebel without a cause?

Bmore on December 22, 2012 at 9:12 PM

predator on December 22, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Well stated, pred.

4Grace on December 22, 2012 at 9:12 PM

SWalker on December 22, 2012 at 9:02 PM

The National Mall in D.C. full of Tea Partiers and Hemp Ropers–what a beautiful vision I get from that.

predator on December 22, 2012 at 9:13 PM

urban elitist on December 22, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I agree it might have been better if the GOP lost power completely. It would have taken away the ability of the administration to use them as scape-goats.

Axe on December 22, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Well stated, pred.

4Grace on December 22, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Thank you, 4Grace.

I did receive a number of positive responses that night as well.

predator on December 22, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Is ok to do the Hemp Rope Walkathon on a bicycle?

SparkPlug on December 22, 2012 at 9:15 PM

predator on December 20, 2012 at 9:02 PM

predator on December 22, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I can accept that. It is the mildest of the LiB scenarios, and the one with the shortest duration.

cozmo on December 22, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Well stated, pred.

4Grace on December 22, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Hi, Grace!

Axe on December 22, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Anyone here ever watch the movie rebel without a cause?

Bmore on December 22, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Only ever the first part. Could never get into it after the crash.

cozmo on December 22, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Glad Axe got his tooth fixed and his head reattached.

SparkPlug on December 22, 2012 at 9:17 PM

urban elitist on December 22, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Where is the Democrat plan? Why won’t Harry Reid bring one to the floor? Where is Obama’s budget? Who ordered the stand down in Benghazi?

Please reveal so that we all may see.

JPeterman on December 22, 2012 at 9:17 PM

The wimpier our “leaders” become, the more emboldened the Boy King will become.

4Grace on December 22, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Say what you want about Obama and crowd they are nasty dirty gutter fighters. We don’t have to get in the gutter but for example Romney’s non-responses on so many occasions was telling.

Obama kept saying “I saved GM.” Correct response turn to him, point your finger and say “No, no you didn’t” and then give three quick examples why not.

arnold ziffel on December 22, 2012 at 9:18 PM

My grandfather went through this sh!t.

It was called WWII.

Don’t know what we’ll call this one. Civil war II?

wolly4321 on December 22, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Anyone here ever watch the movie rebel without a cause?

Bmore on December 22, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Yep…

Electrongod on December 22, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Hi.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 22, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Every Repub member of the House & Senate should be required to read Marx and Alinsky. Stooopid Republicans think this is business as usual. A little give and take. You scratch my back & I’ll scratch yours…

It’s a new way of running things and our guys had better break out the brass knuckles and sharpen their tongues. And learn how to get a freaking message to the people. Screw the MSM. They don’t like you and THEY NEVER WILL. Ever. Grow a pair, or if you can’t manage that, borrow some.

4Grace on December 22, 2012 at 9:19 PM

JPeterman on December 22, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I didn’t know you had a way of following people into voting booths… in order to ascertain who they voted for.

But weren’t you the one that kept assuring us that Romney would win in a landslide? Against the worst President with the worst record in modern times if not ever?

How did that work out?

For your information, Romney lost not because he couldn’t capture his precious independents but because conservatives (in essence, the GOP base) stayed home. Now why would that be?

Maybe if your ilk spent less time trying to shove losers down our throats, we all will find something to celebrate after elections.

TheRightMan on December 22, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Only ever the first part. Could never get into it after the crash.

cozmo on December 22, 2012 at 9:16 PM

It’s just after the crash.

Bmore on December 22, 2012 at 9:20 PM

So I am thinking … John was short 40 votes. He needed 218 to get to 50% + 1 (correct me if I am wrong). That is 82% of the GOP voting for keeping the tax reduction for all but the Millionaire class, While the Democrats were obviously voting 100% against keeping those reductions … and now it’s the Republicans that are for tax increases? If JB had 50 of the 193 Dems (25%) it would have passed as a Bi-Partisan bill.

Whiterock on December 22, 2012 at 9:20 PM

JPeterman on December 22, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Harry’s busy trying to get into the Guinness Book of World Records for longest senate stretch without a budget. Funny how the LSM never wants to talk about that.

predator on December 22, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Hi.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 22, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Go away gun nut.

It’s just after the crash.

Bmore on December 22, 2012 at 9:20 PM

What?

cozmo on December 22, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Did you leave?

JPeterman on December 22, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I sold/ cashed out almost all my business interests and
” investments” in the last 10 weeks, one by one, and then we did something we had not done in the last 17 yrs….went on a vacation ;-) in the islands !!

burrata on December 22, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Hi, Grace!

Axe on December 22, 2012 at 9:15 PM

*waves* Good evening, Axe.

4Grace on December 22, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Is ok to do the Hemp Rope Walkathon on a bicycle?

SparkPlug on December 22, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Yes, why yes it is… ;)

SWalker on December 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Boehner and Cantor Must Go

Speaker John Boehner’s “Plan B” (B as in “Big Bomb”) is as dead as a Cowsills’ 45 record. Vinyl doesn’t wear well in the digital age, and Speaker Boehner’s plan to raise taxes didn’t woo GOP House caucus members or tea parties and grassroots conservatives across the republic. Boehner and his team were effectively trying to legislate against their party’s conservative base and the outcome was thankfully predictable.

Boehner and Cantor were clearly knocked off their strides after Mr. Obama’s unexpected victory (for many on the right) over Mitt Romney. They haven’t seemed to recover since that Tuesday night in November. Like other establishment Republicans, Boehner and Cantor read too much into the president’s narrow popular vote win. Moreover, both men are clearly overmatched in their duel with the president, who sticks to his principles like superglue.

***

Mark Levin: Get the Hell Off the Stage Boehner, You’re a SCREW UP!

Green eyed Lady on December 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Hi.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 22, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Get your waffles made? *it was waffles, wasn’t it?*

predator on December 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Grace is here. The early warning system was late because the gift wrapping department was overloaded.

SparkPlug on December 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Hi.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 22, 2012 at 9:18 PM

THWACK!

Axe on December 22, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Hi.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 22, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Hey, twerp!

4Grace on December 22, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Glad Axe got his tooth fixed and his head reattached.

SparkPlug on December 22, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Well, got his tooth fixed anyways… ;p

SWalker on December 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM

TheRightMan on December 22, 2012 at 9:19 PM

You are mistaken, I was backing Perry. When he dropped out, unlike you, I never posted that if Romney were to be the nominee that I would vote for Obama like you did.

JPeterman on December 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Hi.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 22, 2012 at 9:18 PM

THWACK!

Axe on December 22, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Are you THWACKING off in public again?

SWalker on December 22, 2012 at 9:25 PM

What?

cozmo on December 22, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I’m watching it. It’s at the part where Dean responds, nobody here but us chickens. Jim’s parents remind me of the establishment R’s.

Bmore on December 22, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I watched a video over at The Blaze of Maria Bartiromo taking Ben Cardin of Maryland to task over the fiscal cliff thing. It was a hoot!

predator on December 22, 2012 at 9:25 PM

4Grace on December 22, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Good Post.

Im building a HempBot for SWalker. He is paying me in hemp.

SparkPlug on December 22, 2012 at 9:27 PM

SparkPlug on December 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Hey, Spark! (Wish you hadn’t mentioned wrapping dept. I’m supposed to be wrapping gifts!)

4Grace on December 22, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Please reveal so that we all may see.

JPeterman on December 22, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Really? Benghazi?

Not sure why Obama should even talk to Boehner at all — he clearly can’t deliver a damn thing. The Republican Party has officially walked away from reality.

When things collapse, the American people will understand who — for the second time in a decade — brought the economy to a standstill.

urban elitist on December 22, 2012 at 9:29 PM

That reminds me, 71% of Americans don’t know opposite words for the following:

1) Always
2) Coming
3) From
4) Take
5) Me
6) Down

Answer here if you are one of the 71%.

jaime on December 22, 2012 at 9:29 PM

SparkPlug on December 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM

It might help a bit if your early warning systems wrapping department would quit smoking the hemp wrapping twine… ;p

SWalker on December 22, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Im building a HempBot for SWalker. He is paying me in hemp.

SparkPlug on December 22, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Smart move. Gold & silver may have maxed out. I predict that the price of hemp will more than double in the next few months.

4Grace on December 22, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Plato is wearing one red sock, one blue sock. No wonder he is so screwed up. Squish.

Bmore on December 22, 2012 at 9:31 PM

We don’t want

“Anybody but Boehner”

we all ready have a “boehner” we want a Paul Ryan or a Marco Rubio or…did you know the Speaker does not need to be a current member of congress…

We don’t want the next one with seniority on the list, I won’t look it up, because it does not matter who it is. I guess if it was Eric Cantor, I like him, but I expect it is not.

No more seniority choices, they are bad to keep people in union jobs and they are bad in the Congress.

Fleuries on December 22, 2012 at 9:31 PM

jaime on December 22, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Haha. Good one, jaime.

4Grace on December 22, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I sold/ cashed out almost all my business interests and

burrata on December 22, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Good for you! I cashed out 50% of my stock market portfolio a few weeks ago. Did you not see me at Kennedy Airport with my wheeley bag full of cash rushing to catch that plane to Bratislava?

JPeterman on December 22, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Those wheel gang fellows remind me of 0 and his ilk.

Bmore on December 22, 2012 at 9:32 PM

predator on December 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Thanks for the reminder.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 22, 2012 at 9:33 PM

4Grace on December 22, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I told GG she didn’t have to wrap my gift and she said she should at least put a bow on it and TXUS said naughty girl.

So now GG might come over to the tree fort wearing only a bow so Im knitting her some hemp PJs so I don’t get in trouble with B9.

SparkPlug on December 22, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Really? Benghazi?

urban elitist on December 22, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Blah,blah, blah, you still did not answer questions I asked. Try again?

Please reveal so that we all may see.

JPeterman on December 22, 2012 at 9:35 PM

SparkPlug on December 22, 2012 at 9:33 PM

That’s probably a wise move. We don’t need any unnecessary tension between those 2 great gals. :)

4Grace on December 22, 2012 at 9:36 PM

SparkPlug on December 22, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Don’t forget the breast cancer pre-cure. My wife is still mad about that. But hey, its for her health. When some boy mentions that though…

cozmo on December 22, 2012 at 9:36 PM

4Grace on December 22, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Better load up on hemp before your investments go up in smoke.

SparkPlug on December 22, 2012 at 9:37 PM

There’s a photo of a Bozo atop this thread.

I’n tired of looking at Bozo.

Ryan or Bust.

Boehner MuSt Go.

cane_loader on December 22, 2012 at 9:37 PM

People are playing the same “political Jesus” game with Boehner that they played with Romney after the election. Just heap all the blame for everything on him, let him die a political death for those “sins” and thereby “cleanse” everyone else in the party … just blame Boehner for everything. Pile all the party baggage on him and send him sailing down the river.

Problem is, that doesn’t fix anything. Once (if) Boehner’s gone, we still have the same problem to deal with and circular blame casting isn’t going to work. The next speaker will still have to deal with a Senate and White House that isn’t going to budge. We will go over the cliff, the people will be in a huge panic, and they will demand that the House Republicans take whatever Obama and the Democrats offer.

This isn’t about “leadership”. This is about a group of Republicans who aren’t really Republicans. The ones who consider themselves “conservatives first and Republicans second” need to be purged. They are neither Republicans nor conservatives in a political sense. They are handing the liberals victory after victory because of their splitting of the Republican party. It’s time to get rid of them. Let them form their own party but it is time they stopped screwing up mine. I have a hunch, though, that a lot of the so-called “tea party” Republicans are really Democrats in conservative suits.

crosspatch on December 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Answer here if you are one of the 71%.

jaime on December 22, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Brilliant. :) Pointless, but brilliant. Pointless brilliance is the best brilliance because it implies enough brilliance to cover necessities and still have brilliance left over just to enjoy.

Sort of like Doctor Who.

Axe on December 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM

You are mistaken, I was backing Perry.

JPeterman on December 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM

If you say so… I am pretty sure I remember those here that were strongly backing Perry. But never mind…

It was a heated primary season. Many said things during that time that I wouldn’t dredge up as you are doing. Because a decent number still went on to support the Romney campaign and probably gave of their time and resources in ways you may never know.

Unfortunately, there are some conservatives that will never be bothered to get their butts out on election day to go vote for RINO losers especially after stellar examples like GHW Bush and Scott Brown spectacularly flamed out and turned on their conservative backers.

And others like Boehner continue to stab conservatives in the front and in the back.

Face it, JPeterman, your RINO heroes don’t inspire confidence in the base anymore and are outing themselves as probably more of a problem than Democrats.

TheRightMan on December 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Please reveal so that we all may see.

JPeterman on December 22, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Obama clearly has a plan, it’s been in the papers. You should try reading.

Reid — good soldier that he is — will bring whatever plan Obama and Boehner agree to to the floor. Unfortunately, Boehner is powerless among his own sad and bitter backbenchers.

urban elitist on December 22, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I’m starting to dress less like a Chi-girl and more like a Tex-girl…

annoyinglittletwerp on December 22, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Well, got his tooth fixed anyways… ;p

SWalker on December 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Actually haven’t. :) BUT — If you imagine every-other zombie apocalypse movie, you’d have a better idea of my life than any image you might be using at the moment. Things are not normal over here. :)

But soon — soon.

Bmore on December 22, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I don’t know what you are saying. I know what you are saying, obviously, but . . . not what you are saying.

Axe on December 22, 2012 at 9:43 PM

crosspatch on December 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM

My problem with Boehner is that he pussy-foots around, unlike Ryan, who called 0bama out to his face and backed it up with facts.

I think that Ryan could do this country a great service.

I think that Boehner plays it too cute… too insider, for the confrontation that needs to happen.

cane_loader on December 22, 2012 at 9:44 PM

crosspatch on December 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM

My problem with Boehner is that he pu$sy-foots around, unlike Ryan, who called 0bama out to his face and backed it up with facts.

I think that Ryan could do this country a great service.

cane_loader on December 22, 2012 at 9:44 PM