The new horizon of gun control, Part 4. “Wolves at the door”

posted at 9:46 am on December 21, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Today, in the final installment of this series, we will eschew a review of the “nuanced” strategy currently being employed by the wolves in sheep’s clothing working toward new gun suppression legislation and their willing media allies. That was covered well enough in the previous three columns, and links will be provided at the end in case you missed them. Forewarned being forearmed, as the saying goes, we should close out with a look at what is truly going on under the covers, what we should expect to see as this battle moves toward the halls of Congress and what – if anything – we, as a nation, can do to forestall an unfortunate result which currently appears far too likely.

For a good look at what you are truly up against, you need do little more than listen to the openly offered words of one of the chief architects of the current push for a gun grab… one Michael Bloomberg. He’s been making the rounds of every media outlet from Morning Joe to the full slate of Sunday gab fests, usually parroting the lines we featured before about “not wanted to take anyone’s guns” and respecting the first amendment. But he might have gotten a bit tired by the time he showed up for Nightline, and he let the mask slip fully from his face. Check this out. (Emphasis mine.)

“I think the public has finally come to the conclusion that, what the Supreme Court said you can do is have reasonable restrictions on the right to bear arms, is something that our society finally has woken up and said, ‘We are going to do this whether you like it or not,‘” Bloomberg said…

But if he had his preference, Bloomberg said he would go farther than the 1994 ban and outlaw all automatic and semi-automatic weapons and high-capacity magazines. The mayor said magazines shouldn’t be allowed to contain more than five or even three rounds.

“If you haven’t hit the deer with three shots, you’re a pretty lousy shot. The deer deserves to get away,” he said.

Yes, he’s still repeating the “Second Amendment = Hunting” meme which we fairly well demolished yesterday, but Mr. Mayor is offering us far, far more in this interview. He’s not talking about only AR-15 style rifles. He’s looking to eliminate all semi-automatic weapons. That would include handguns and all. Further, the latest expected proposal, promised by Dianne Feinstein, regarding magazine capacity is for an already insultingly low ten rounds. But if he had his preferences he would try to lower it to three. He knows he can’t… yet. But if he manages to help ram through a limit of ten, you now know where the next goal post will be set. As Matt Lewis reminded us recently, sometimes the slippery slope is real.

Another glimpse into the mind of Bloomberg and company comes with the complete lack of seriousness on display when he gloats over his coming victory in the effort to disarm America. In one moment he is solemn and serious. In the next, he’s cracking jokes about two of the actually decent things Barack Obama accomplished during his first term, only moments after mourning the dead in Newtown.

What else should we be expecting? For one thing, more formerly Second Amendment supporting officials will be bailing out like rats fleeing a sinking ship. One of the latest is Bob Casey… yet another traditionally gun rights friendly Democrat who is putting his finger to the wind and deciding it’s time to jump.

Furrowing his brow and casting his eyes downward, Casey expressed regret that he had not reconsidered his views as starkly after earlier massacres at Virginia Tech and in Aurora, Colo.

“The power of the weapon, the number of bullets that hit each child, that was so, to me, just so chilling, it haunts me. It should haunt every public official,” said Casey, who won a second term six weeks ago while touting his opposition to gun control.

In the days since the shooting that killed 20 children and eight adults, the debate around gun laws has shifted. Democrats have called for reinstating the assault-weapons ban and barring magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

“If those two bills come before the Senate, I’ll vote for both,” Casey said. He said his decision amounted to being “summoned by your conscience.”

Given the part of the country that Casey comes from and the number of years he has held his previous stance, I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he truly did believe in the Second Amendment. But it’s also politically convenient – at a minimum – that he represents a lot of rural areas in central Pennsylvania where gun rights are part of his voters’ heritage. They “cling to them” and “their God” as our President once famously said of the area. It was part of Casey’s key to election day success.

You’re going to be seeing more of all of this as soon as the new year begins and Congress returns to their seats. So now we face the harder question. In the face of such an oppressive, steep hill, what is there to be done in the hopes of at least minimizing the damage, if not mitigating it entirely? Well… perhaps a few things.

The first, easiest and most obvious move is to make your voices known to those who depend on our votes for their livelihood. You can forget about the President, who no longer needs to care about winning another term. But the members of the House and Senate do. Particularly the House, where the GOP – weak kneed as they may be at times – still holds a solid majority. They are already moving into campaign mode for 2014 and more than a few are looking over their shoulders for possible primary challenges. This is the first, and possibly best hill to fight on. The Senate may hold a few wavering seats which will be subject to a tide of public displeasure as well. They need to be made aware that long held beliefs don’t dissipate overnight even following a one man tragedy such as we recently witnessed.

But there are other things you can do as well. One possibility is to lend your support – if not already doing so – to the NRA. They are under intense pressure at the moment and opponents seem to sense some blood in the water, thinking their influence is waning. I’ve had my own disputes with them over the years on various fine points of policy, but they remain one of the strongest, most influential and well funded voices on this subject in the nation. They need to see their support rise rather than fall in these dark times, or the liberal hopes for their de-clawing may become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

There are smaller, local groups which will need your support as well. These include sporting clubs, shooting ranges and everywhere else that like minded groups seek to promote the safe, legal, constitutionally protected enjoyment of firearms. Get on Google and find out who is in your area.

And finally, no matter how cryptic some may wish to make this sound… arm yourself if it is something you feel inclined to do and have the financial resources to manage. The free market speaks volumes, and both politicians and some bastions of the media pay attention to it. Voting with your wallet is, if anything, possibly even more powerful than voting with your feet. If you need these tools not only for yourself, but to pass on to the next generation, you might thank me later. If this goes entirely pear shaped, it might be a while before they are available again.

Sadly, there is little beyond that to be done if I’m reading the cards correctly. The sad truth is that, beyond these types of actions and preparations, you potentially find yourself with only one more alternative in a worst case scenario.

Come and get ‘em.

Good luck to us all, and thanks for following along this week for this series. If we’ve managed to accomplish anything here, I hope it is to impart the message that this is not some far off, possible future of problems. The wolves are truly at the door and they will be sitting down in Washington DC in a couple of weeks, aided by nearly every media outlet in the country. But in the end, they are not the United States. This country isn’t a collection of politicians arguing in spacious halls. It’s a collection of papers more than two hundred years old. And with a bit of luck, it’s one thing more than that as well.

It’s you.

Related:
The new horizon of gun control, Part 1. A Violent Society
The new horizon of gun control, Part 2. The black hole of mental health
The new horizon of gun control, Part 3. “Military Style Weapons”
MSNBC host Chuck Todd on gun rights: “That’s a different America”
Slippery Slopes are Sometimes Real.
The missing link on gun control

Catch up with me on Twitter if you’d care to continue the discussion.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

All this talk of gun control makes me want to excersize my right to go and buy a gun.

ChunkyLover on December 21, 2012 at 9:51 AM

A sad announcement

I know I probably shouldn’t have done it — especially because yesterday was a snowy day with the temperature here in Colorado dipping well below freezing — but on a whim I took all my guns and ammunition out in a small skiff on one of the nearby lakes and, sad to say, the boat capsized when I stupidly tried to prove to myself that I could do it Gangnam style, even in an inherently unbalanced situation, while also tending to a fishing pole.

All my firearms and my ammo stockpile is now, as a consequence, sleeping with the fishes.

Just so you know. All you who are reading here. And no, I have no plans to replace them at this point. Because children.

Southern by choice22 on December 21, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I’ll take wolves at the door over sheep in the Congress.

Archivarix on December 21, 2012 at 9:55 AM

““Wolves at the door”
Oooohhhh.
Silly.
I guess this is typical of the rhetoric your side of this debate will be offering, Jazz?
Yawn.

verbaluce on December 21, 2012 at 9:58 AM

IT TURNS OUT GUN OWNERS REALLY DO NEED WEAPONS: To protect themselves from left-wing thugs who threaten them with murder
Whatever happened to the post-Gabbi Giffords calls for civility? Oh, that’s right: there’s always a double standard for the Democrat Party and its hard left, progressive leaders:

John Carburruvius is a Democrat precinct committeeman in Bay Area Houston. He is a well-known Democrat in the state, worked on Noriega for US Senate campaign. He also SERVES ON THE TEXAS STATE DEMOCRAT COMMITTEE. On Friday he urged his twitter followers to murder NRA members and anyone who supports them.

His was hardly the only call for murder:

• University of Rhode Island Professor Erik Loomis calls for killing NRA executive.

• Actress Marg Helgenberger: ‘One can only hope’ NRA members get shot.

• And columnist/author Katie Pavlich collected additional threats.

The leftist crazies have got things all backwards – First you get people to register their guns after a serious crisis, THEN you Confiscate the guns at the next crisis when Registration predictably doesn’t work…

Then you have the government go out and murder the former gun owners.

Don’t Leftists know anything about the Progress of history?

Southern by choice22 on December 21, 2012 at 10:00 AM

There is no more compelling proof that the gun grabbers are trying to exploit the recent shooting than the following question: “Why didn’t you try this when you had the presidency, the House, and a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate?”

Legislation, like all long-term decisions, should not be made when you’re emotional. Gun-control advocates are pushing hard now because they know that with time, emotions will calm and people will start thinking more rationally about the issue. They have a limited window before this fades in importance.

We can only hope that with the holidays, fiscal cliff, and debt ceiling, this will get pushed off until emotions fade a bit.

Mohonri on December 21, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I should have taken a few pics while I was at Cabela’s yesterday. The gun counter was packed, and I mean PACKED with people. I took a number, it was 73, and they were currently helping customers in the 50 range.

Then there were the gaps in the displays. Huge gaping holes where the “assault rifles” and riot shotguns were normally displayed. Every single one, from the $699 cheapies to the $2500 tack drivers were gone.

The pistol displays were picked over worse than a Gazelle carcass on the African plain; I went looking for a CZ-P07 and the dude helping me almost laughed. He offered me a Hi-Point 9mm…I declined though in retrospect maybe I shouldn’t have.

As an experiment I called every gun store I could find within a 50 mile radius and not one had an AR15 available.

There’s a line being drawn in the sand with the feds on one side and 150 gun-owning citizens on the other, and if it gets crossed, boy howdy, it’s going to get ugly.

Bishop on December 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Bloomberg has never tracked a wounded deer through deep snow, and he’s never tried to take an elk down with one shot. Screw him. Maybe if he’d work toward getting treatment for the mentally ill instead of moving the homeless around on the streets of NYC, he’d actually save some kids from facing a murderer in their schools. All those politicians who have security should have to arm them with slingshots instead of 9s. Let me be clear about this, we have the 2ndA for a reason and he’s it.

Kissmygrits on December 21, 2012 at 10:03 AM

““Wolves at the door”
Oooohhhh.
Silly.
Yawn.

verbaluce on December 21, 2012 at 9:58 AM

The NRA being designated a “terrorist organization” and it’s members as funders of terrorism.

Ooooooohhh.

I guess this is typical of the rhetoric your side of this debate will be offering, verby?

Bishop on December 21, 2012 at 10:05 AM

The gun counter was packed, and I mean PACKED with people.

Any sense if it’s new owners, meaning people who didn’t already own a gun? Or mostly repeat buyers?

NoVAHockey on December 21, 2012 at 10:06 AM

ChunkyLover on December 21, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I plan on doing just that today.
I need to see if our Sportsmen’s Warehouse perhaps has the same sale deal on the S&W M&P15 that they had on Black Friday. Should have gotten one then – $900 ($100 off).

dentarthurdent on December 21, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Libs like Bloomberg are going to have a little problem with their plans, and that’s Article Nine of the Constitution where it says Congress shall make no ex post facto law.

Do they really think they’ll get away with making millions of Americans criminals overnight?

Liam on December 21, 2012 at 10:07 AM

If you ban all Semi-auto, then there will not be any reason to have magazines pinned at three rounds.

So we are back to lever action, bolt action and pump and Revoluti0n.

And I don’t mean revolvers.

Bulletchaser on December 21, 2012 at 10:12 AM

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

trs on December 21, 2012 at 10:12 AM

The left will twist themselves into pretzels to prove the 2nd Amendment isn’t about what the 2nd Amendment is about.

darwin on December 21, 2012 at 10:13 AM

You may luck into someone trying to sell their grandpa’s WWII rifle collection.

Eleven on December 21, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I bought an AR-15 yesterday. I had some extra a money, and I’m sick of all this gun grabbing talk, so I just went and bought the last one at the little gun store in my neighborhood. They said the background check would take half a day because the system is swamped. Fortunately, I have a CHL so didn’t need to have the check.

The lefties are still doing the full court press on this. It’s really important to them, even though none of the things they propose short of confiscation would’ve stopped the Newtown crime.

It makes me suspicious as to why this is so important to them, when the facts and stats are on our side. They are certainly not to be trusted, as we all know.

juliesa on December 21, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Let me be clear about this, we have the 2ndA for a reason and he’s it.

Kissmygrits on December 21, 2012 at 10:03 AM

This

Liam on December 21, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Yep. That constitution thingy merely presents a small bump in the road.

antipc on December 21, 2012 at 10:15 AM

““Wolves at the door”
Oooohhhh.
Silly.
Yawn.

verbaluce on December 21, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Back atcha libtard.

• Actress Marg Helgenberger: ‘One can only hope’ NRA members get shot.
• And columnist/author Katie Pavlich collected additional threats.

Southern by choice22 on December 21, 2012 at 10:00 AM

dentarthurdent on December 21, 2012 at 10:16 AM

NoVAHockey on December 21, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Honestly I couldn’t other than to provide anecdotal evidence. Just as many women as men though not many single women, a lot of people asking advice about a good handgun for this or that, asking for comparisons between calibers, but just as many men talking technical and obviously knowing their stuff.

However, the prevailing murmurs seemed to be centered around “I’m getting this while I can”, and there seemed to be a goodly number of people who were clearly disappointed to know they had to get a purchase permit BEFORE buying a gun.

Bishop on December 21, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I presume the NYPD, and especially the detail tasked with protecting Bloomberg, will be going with single-action firearms incapable of holding more than 3 rounds.

Oh, who am I kidding?

Steve Eggleston on December 21, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Maybe this is all cover for the fiscal cliff stuff or Benghazi or something else. I can’t believe that Obama is going to take the Dims into the teeth of this, creating an American Spring .

Bulletchaser on December 21, 2012 at 10:19 AM

You may luck into someone trying to sell their grandpa’s WWII rifle collection.

Eleven on December 21, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Maybe – but from what I’ve seen of the photos of those police buybacks, it’s mostly old cheap stuff that’s not even worth what the police are paying for you to turn it in.
As I said on a thread yesterday, for $250 I’d gladly turn in my $120 Marlin .22 – and go buy 2 more to replace it.

dentarthurdent on December 21, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Come and get them – indeed. Bring it on you oppressive SOBs. On a side note, McCain and Levin removed the clause out of the NDAA of 2013 which would have protected US citizens from indefinite detention – ie your 5th Amendment rights.

MoreLiberty on December 21, 2012 at 10:20 AM

So we are back to lever action, bolt action and pump and Revoluti0n.

And I don’t mean revolvers.

Bulletchaser on December 21, 2012 at 10:12 AM

My first thought as well. I guess that black powder shooting I did in Boy Scouts will start paying off now.

LoganSix on December 21, 2012 at 10:20 AM

verbaluce on December 21, 2012 at 9:58 AM

How does taking away someone’s right of self defense protect them?

Galt2009 on December 21, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Kissmygrits on December 21, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Wait a minute. Are you saying this is more important than waging war on trans fats and 32oz sodas?

labrat on December 21, 2012 at 10:21 AM

NRA press conference is 9:45 CST.

I saw this comment on AR15.com “I spoke with the president of the NYS NRA affiliate last night, he said it will be a barn burner and LaPierre is going to deliver an address of epic proportions.”

We’ll see.

TxAnn56 on December 21, 2012 at 10:22 AM

……..

Southern by choice22 on December 21, 2012 at 9:52 AM

What an amazing coincidence. The exact thing happened to me just last weekend. All of ‘em sunk. Except I was doing a little Macarena, no gangnam crap for me. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

iurockhead on December 21, 2012 at 10:22 AM

purchase permit BEFORE buying a gun.

Bishop on December 21, 2012 at 10:17 AM

What’s this and where?
In Colorado, all I need is a 1 page form for the store to get a background check and it’s mine.

dentarthurdent on December 21, 2012 at 10:22 AM

How does taking away someone’s right of self defense protect them?

Galt2009 on December 21, 2012 at 10:21 AM

How are any of the hypothetical proposals presumed to do that?

verbaluce on December 21, 2012 at 10:23 AM

LoganSix on December 21, 2012 at 10:20 AM

:o) Actually I meant real Revoluti0n, not the stuff by Hornady

Bulletchaser on December 21, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Honestly I couldn’t other than to provide anecdotal evidence.

Bishop on December 21, 2012 at 10:17 AM

To add to that, I watched three women buy a gun, a “resident alien” (he had a CHL as well), a man buying his first long gun, two men buying handguns for their sons, and I was buying two handguns for two girls. These were their first firearms. There were many more sales, but those are the ones i noticed.

I visited several gun stores and a gun show over the last week. It is almost surreal.

cozmo on December 21, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Jazz, your writing over these past four days has been some of the best I’ve ever seen. Thank you so much for the time and effort you’ve put into your analysis of the libs–and especially for today’s advice about what to do going forwards.

God save us all.

Mr. Prodigy on December 21, 2012 at 10:26 AM

“If you a woman haven’t hit the deer hasn’t hit her attacker with three shots, you’re she’s a pretty lousy shot. The deer attacker deserves to get away,” he said.

The Leftist War On Women continues….

visions on December 21, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Just saw this on Twitter.. Chilling.

Naturally Curly on December 21, 2012 at 10:29 AM

How are any of the hypothetical proposals presumed to do that?

Shall we count them? Magazine size restrictions come to mind immediately. So does Bloomberg’s letting the mask slip and stating he’d ban all semi-automatics

Mohonri on December 21, 2012 at 10:29 AM

cozmo on December 21, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Best way to put it, it’s surreal to see the handgun cases so empty, I’ve never seen them like that; everything is just gone.

Now that you mention it I feel as if I should think about my older kids too, maybe concentrate on some small pistols. Cabelas, I’m comin’ for ya!

Bishop on December 21, 2012 at 10:29 AM

LordDaMan on December 21, 2012 at 10:29 AM

The second amendment never mentions guns. It says that the people’s right to keep and bear ARMS shall not be infringed. “Shall not be infringed.” The second amendment was put into the Constitution to restrict the government from disarming it’s citizens so that free men could maintain their freedom from a tyrannical government. Any government that seeks to infringe the rights of it’s citizenry to keep and bear arms is tyrannical.

Oldnuke on December 21, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Bishop on December 21, 2012 at 10:17 AM

The gun counter at the BX was the busiest I’ve ever seen it yesterday, but they were definitely staffed for it. It was mostly men, but there were a few women too, as well as a mom patiently sitting on the bench someone had the insight to install by the counter. My husband was right-the American people are definitely voting with their wallets.

pookysgirl on December 21, 2012 at 10:30 AM

““Wolves at the door”
Oooohhhh.
Silly.
Yawn.

verbaluce on December 21, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Back atcha libtard.

• Actress Marg Helgenberger: ‘One can only hope’ NRA members get shot.
• And columnist/author Katie Pavlich collected additional threats.

Southern by choice22 on December 21, 2012 at 10:00 AM

dentarthurdent on December 21, 2012 at 10:16 AM

But, you see, to an anti-American scumbag like verbaluce, those people are to be PRAISED for threatening people’s lives and livelihoods. Because they are conservatives, and they post the last threat to their dreams of destroying this country and remaking it as a totalitarian communist state.

verbaluce, there is a special place in hell for seditious slime like you.

Myron Falwell on December 21, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Our local big box stores are SOLD OUT of all the popular calibers.

I brought my hand truck last time to the local gun show. (Cases of ammo are heavy)

I’ll have to blow the dust off it again for this weekends show.

Mr. Arrogant on December 21, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Bishop on December 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I have found the same thing here. I have wanted an AR for awhile, but didn’t have the funds. Finally got the money and there are NONE to be had. The LGS had one POS that he would sell for $1500. I passed. I got on some of the websites and all of them are cleaned out (or maybe not offering anymore, who knows). This level of panic buying sent chills down my spine.

search4truth on December 21, 2012 at 10:31 AM

…everything is just gone.

Bishop on December 21, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Academy Sports had one employee just to keep the ammunition stocked. There were some holes that weren’t going to be refilled any time soon.

cozmo on December 21, 2012 at 10:33 AM

What’s this and where?

dentarthurdent on December 21, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Minnesota. No longer can we buy handguns or certain long guns without being pre-approved either with a permit to purchase (from county sheriff) or be a CCW holder.

The seller still does a background check on the spot with the 4473 but we need prior “permission” to buy handguns, “assault weapons”, short-barreled rifles which are considered handguns, and I believe pistol-grip shotguns though don’t quote me on that one.

Bishop on December 21, 2012 at 10:33 AM

How does taking away someone’s right of self defense protect them?

Galt2009 on December 21, 2012 at 10:21 AM

verbaluce on December 21, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Are you really this obtuse or did you require some training by your Oppressive-left brethren?

Take a quick perusal of the news as of late – there are Democratic politicians all over the place wanting Rahm legislation through the government to BAN guns using the vague and undefined term “Assault Weapon”.

There are other Leftists looking to ban semi-auto handguns.

There are other Demo fascist pols telling people to ‘Turn them in’

There are other lunatic leftists wanting guns confiscated.

So please don’t try to insult our intelligence with a load of pure barrack that the Oppressives aren’t after our right of self defense.

Now, since I answered you little inquiry, YOU ANSWER MINE:

How does taking away someone’s right of self defense protect them?

Galt2009 on December 21, 2012 at 10:35 AM

This level of panic buying sent chills down my spine.

search4truth on December 21, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Yep

cozmo on December 21, 2012 at 10:35 AM

“but how can one have a magazine without a semi-automatic rifle?”

magazine fed, bolt-action.

NoVAHockey on December 21, 2012 at 10:35 AM

This level of panic buying sent chills down my spine.

search4truth on December 21, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Not being able to afford even a $699 ‘cheapie’ is scaring the tar out of me. You do not have this many people buying that many guns and that much ammunition without SOMETHING happening.

MelonCollie on December 21, 2012 at 10:36 AM

“without SOMETHING happening.”

just hope their doing it right. it’s right, but it’s also an awesome responsibility. be safe.

NoVAHockey on December 21, 2012 at 10:37 AM

MelonCollie on December 21, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Yep

cozmo on December 21, 2012 at 10:37 AM

You can also go online to see the results. Quality M1A mags are gone, PMAG’s are almost gone, uppers and lowers disappearing, existing mags for guns like Glock and Sig have doubled in price and the bidding wars for them is vicious.

About the only things still readily available are 30-round per second capacity magazine clips, as well as barrel shroud things for your shoulder that go up.

Bishop on December 21, 2012 at 10:38 AM

The secret conservatives in my office are coming out of the woodwork and they all want to buy guns, mainly because they’re scared they won’t be able to soon. We keep hearing these stories about gun shops reporting a rise in business, but how does this match “the majority of the public wants more gun control”? MSM stirring the pot for the desired result, I guess.
As for me, I grew up with them. My dad was a cop for 30 years and we always knew where his guns were kept. Since my parents only had daughters, my dad saw us no differently and we learned to break down and clean a gun before learning to shoot at the age of 13. We always felt protected in the house, no matter what because of that. I think he has close to 10 at last count. Does that make him a scary or bad person? For those idiots who think, why do you need more than one, how is that your business if they’re lawfully purchased?
I wish I could live in blissful ignorance like these neo-utopians. It must be nice thinking the world is only full of nice people.

RadioAngel on December 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM

On the one hand, I do worry about the future of this country. On the other, it warms the cockles of my heart to see so many more people buying guns.

More people with guns means more people comfortable with guns, and fewer people feeling a need to bancontrol them.

Mohonri on December 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM

How are any of the hypothetical proposals presumed to do that?

verbaluce on December 21, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Verbal, let’s cut to the chase. There is no way this proposals will pass congress, probably not the Senate, probably not the Supreme Court or the people. As you have probably seen the last twenty five years the momentum has been building toward gun owners, not away from them.

It almost makes me believe that this is a psyops program to convince Americans that their Rights are what ever Government allows them to be, dangling, always able to be cancelled at a moments notice. Lately the momentum has been too much in Gun Rights favor and this is the Governments way of saying “Heel!”. All the usual suspects will state their usual positions that are reported as though no one has ever heard them before, GASP!

But the fact is the “Gun Control” movement is on the ropes, has been on the defensive for at least 20 years and even with these “new” proposals, they are just Liberals masturbating to the fantasy of being able to “control” a thing they never controlled in the first place but they were somewhat able to restrict till the backlash came and swept it all aside.

You realize that this could spark unhappy results?

Bulletchaser on December 21, 2012 at 10:41 AM

dockywocky on December 21, 2012 at 10:42 AM

The left sure knows how to tell everyone to live…maybe we need to go and see where the highest crime and gun crime rates are…..

yeh I didn’t think so. It’s blue.

CW on December 21, 2012 at 10:42 AM

The volume alone would indicate to me the existence of a gem or two. It’s kinda like going to a garage sale. You never know. But, you need to know what to look for.

Also, shouldn’t these buyback programs be bloodbaths in the mind of a lib? Same goes for gun shows.

Eleven on December 21, 2012 at 10:44 AM

How are any of the hypothetical proposals presumed to do that?

Mohonri on December 21, 2012 at 10:29 AM

And since most guns are semi-autos that would be the whole ball of was for the gun-grabbing-ghouls.

You’ll note that most Oppressives can provide a straight answer to that question – I predict that after this point verbaluce the oppressive troll will simply ignore the question.

Because they know that the Left went ahead and overreached this time – they thought the disarm the innocent wind was at their back and went for broke – they didn’t realize they had push the civilian disarmament agenda incrementally.

Now that the cat is out of the bag and they can’t pretend they aren’t trying to take away the people’s right of self-defense.

Now, the only answer you can conclude is that they don’t wish the people to be able to protect themselves.

In other words: IT’S ALL ABOUT POWER FOR THEM, THEY DON’T GIVE A RIP ABOUT THE PEOPLE AND THEY’RE SELF PROTECTION.

Galt2009 on December 21, 2012 at 10:45 AM

““Wolves at the door”
Oooohhhh.
Silly.
Yawn.

verbaluce on December 21, 2012 at 9:58 AM

• Actress Marg Helgenberger: ‘One can only hope’ NRA members get shot.
• And columnist/author Katie Pavlich collected additional threats.

Southern by choice22 on December 21, 2012 at 10:00 AM

dentarthurdent on December 21, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I guess Verbamoron heard her mom calling and had to run.

Akzed on December 21, 2012 at 10:45 AM

It’s Handguns Now? Soledad O’Brien Repeatedly Asks Democrats About Limiting Handguns

The day after a gun control advocate told CNN that America’s gun problem includes handgun shootings, Starting Point anchor Soledad O’Brien began asking Democratic politicians if they would consider legislating handguns.

“Well, is going to the assault weapons far enough?” O’Brien asked Democratic Rep. Ron Barber (Ariz.) on Tuesday. “I think it’s 80 percent is handguns involved in gun violence. Does this, do you think open up a conversation toward limiting handguns?” she questioned Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) the same day.

Southern by choice22 on December 21, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Maybe I’m missing something here, but how can one have a magazine without a semi-automatic rifle? The whole point of a magazine is to feed bullets to the semi-automatic gun. If the semi-auto gun is banned, then every gun will be a single shot you load through the chamber and not by magazine. LordDaMan on December 21, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Because Bloomturd is a moron and doesn’t have two clues to rub together when it some to guns?

Akzed on December 21, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Eleven on December 21, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I read a news piece a week or so ago that a woman brought an StG44 to a gun buyback. It was neglected and no longer functional, but the police held it so she can decide what to do, like maybe auction it or sell to a collector for more than the cops would have paid.

Liam on December 21, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I guess Verbamoron heard her mom calling and had to run.

Akzed on December 21, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Running is what that one does best.

VegasRick on December 21, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I’m off to Cabelas, you people have a great non-liberal day.

I have PMAG’s for sale too, only $40 apiece, if you’re interested feel free to let me know.

Bishop on December 21, 2012 at 10:51 AM

[Liam on December 21, 2012 at 10:07 AM]

I think you missed the point of what Bloomberg said here,

He doesn’t give a damn what the Supreme Court says. And he really doesn’t care what the Constitution says either.

Dusty on December 21, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Dusty on December 21, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I know he doesn’t care but many others do. My belief (mixed with a lot of hope) is that Bloomberg’s wants won’t be as easy to gain as he might like to think.

Liam on December 21, 2012 at 10:54 AM

NRA is about to make its statement. thetruthaboutguns.com will be streaming it.

juliesa on December 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I’m not panicking. I am of the opinion that as soon as the emotion of the horrible tragedy recedes…the majority of the nation will return to their senses and understand that this is simply another liberal attempt to disarm, albeit incrementally, the peons underneath them. Gun manufacturers aren’t going anywhere, and if the NRA falters another organization will be standing up to take its place. The VAST majority of the people in this country are pro-2nd amendment. It’s not close.

search4truth on December 21, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Hey Mr. Bloomberg, if society has woken up and come to this conclusion, that’s fine–we have a way to change the constitution. It’s called an “amendment.” If the American people have decided that they no longer want to have guns, then it should be no problem to pass such an amendment, right?

Or are you just pretending that most of the country agrees with you?

Mohonri on December 21, 2012 at 10:56 AM

While all the anti-gun whining coming from the silver tongued devil in the Oval Office will only inconvenience law abiding citizens, I would be willing to bet that Obama’s Praetorian Guards are beefing up their armaments beyond just individual full-auto shooters on slings under their suits to high explosive assault rockets – U.S. versions of RPGs in every black SUV to augment the pop-up heavy machine guns. dockywocky on December 21, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Because you never know when you’ll have to mow down a few thousand Tea Partiers.

Akzed on December 21, 2012 at 10:57 AM

How are any of the hypothetical proposals presumed to do that?

Mohonri on December 21, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Don’t you know?? Trolls like verbaluce believe that simply passing a law banning something makes it magically disappear up the butt of the big skittle-pooping unicorn in the sky. Once big scary magazines are outlawed, not even outlaws will have them. The guy breaking into your house to take your stuff — oh, sorry — the GOVERNMENT’S STUFF that it lets you keep — will only have a tiny three shot revolver, so it’s all good. You just need to dodge three little bullets and hope he runs away.

CurtZHP on December 21, 2012 at 10:57 AM

[Akzed on December 21, 2012 at 10:50 AM]

Dusty on December 21, 2012 at 10:58 AM

NRA press conference starting now and it’s on CSPAN.

TxAnn56 on December 21, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Barak Hussein Obama continues his streak of being gun saleswhore of the year for the fourth straight time.

Happy Nomad on December 21, 2012 at 11:03 AM

He’s not a moron. He may not know about guns but he’s a smart man who has very dangerous tyrannical tendencies. Dusty on December 21, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Okay, according to the literal definition of moron he’s not a moron. He’s a fool. You can be smart and lack wisdom. The Left is full of brainy people who are fools. It’s endemic.

Think about it: there are plenty of low information voters who are stupid too, not just uninformed, who hold to the same opinions as Bloomberg vis a vis firearms.

Akzed on December 21, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Verbaluce

Care to prove me wrong on that assertion by actually providing a straight answer for once?

Galt2009 on December 21, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Countdown to the Second American Civil War in 10…9…8…

JimLennon on December 21, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Liberals are more dangerous than guns.

darwin on December 21, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Unhinged occupier at the NRA Newser. Moonbat should be investigated.

Mr. Arrogant on December 21, 2012 at 11:08 AM

The GOP will cave on gun rights, just like they do everything else.

southsideironworks on December 21, 2012 at 11:12 AM

LordDaMan on December 21, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Many pump, lever and bolt action rifles have a fixed magazine. For the most part they are a tube that runs under the barrel and are not detachable. Although some work just like the detachable ones. Old military bolt action and hunting rifles use that style.

Frank Enstine on December 21, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Just remember, revolvers don’t leave shell casings behind.

Why does Bloomberg want to make police investigations more difficult by denying them that crucial piece of forensic evidence?

UltimateBob on December 21, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Another Moonbat being carried out.

Mr. Arrogant on December 21, 2012 at 11:13 AM

How long before push back? This line we speak of, where is it? If the admin oversteps the 2nd amendment what are the state governments going to do to protect their citizens? Is Texas, Alaska, etc…going to allow federal agents to barge their way in and start enforcing the new federal admin law? What will state police and local police do when asked to assist in the effort? What side will they fall on?

Ugly is not the word. This administration more than any other, is capable to defying the constitution. If they push to far…the push back might be the beginning of something terrible for this country…I don’t even want to say the words.

Inzax on December 21, 2012 at 11:20 AM

La Pierre-More armed police officers in school.

Uh, no thanks, we spend enough on worthless local law enforcement.

Mr. Arrogant on December 21, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Inzax on December 21, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Time to clean out the cesspool.

Mr. Arrogant on December 21, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Ooooooohhh.

Bishop on December 21, 2012 at 10:05 AM

100% atypical of any rhetoric I use and subscribe to –
but sure…paint with a broad brush.

verbaluce on December 21, 2012 at 11:24 AM

verbaluce, there is a special place in hell for seditious slime like you.

Myron Falwell on December 21, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Good lord, Myron.
Hey…Happy Xmas…ok?

verbaluce on December 21, 2012 at 11:25 AM

How are any of the hypothetical proposals presumed to do that?

verbaluce on December 21, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Given that mass murder is already illegal what is the expected outcome of more restrictive gun laws in your estimation?

anuts on December 21, 2012 at 11:27 AM

We should insist that Bloomberg and the other big city mayors immediately do the one thing they have in their power to do – order their police forces to switch from semi-automatics to revolvers. Get their semi autos off the street.

The Buzz on December 21, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Galt2009 on December 21, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Sorry…catching up to a few comments directed at me.
What is the question you want me to answer?

Thx

verbaluce on December 21, 2012 at 11:27 AM

but sure…paint with a broad brush.

verbaluce on December 21, 2012 at 11:24 AM

uh … what do you call all the rhetoric about “assault weapons”?

What is an “assault weapon”? Do you know? Does anyone?

darwin on December 21, 2012 at 11:29 AM

LordDaMan on December 21, 2012 at 10:29 AM

For example, this.

Dunedainn on December 21, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Wayne LaPierre is flat tearing them up right now. How much will the LSM show later..?

affenhauer on December 21, 2012 at 11:32 AM

affenhauer on December 21, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I let my NRA membership lapse years ago. After hearing LaPierre stick it to the media and expose them, I’ll sign up again. He stood up for gun owners. He showed a frame from a certain video game about killing kids and said, how come I can find this game but the media can’t.

TxAnn56 on December 21, 2012 at 11:38 AM

TxAnn56 on December 21, 2012 at 11:38 AM

That may have been my favorite part so far…

affenhauer on December 21, 2012 at 11:42 AM

I let my NRA membership lapse years ago.

TxAnn56 on December 21, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I did after the “jack booted thugs” dust up.

I am now rethinking that.

cozmo on December 21, 2012 at 11:47 AM

“Another possible source: Camp out at the next gun buyback program and offer $10 more than the state sponsored buyback rate.

You may luck into someone trying to sell their grandpa’s WWII rifle collection.

Eleven on December 21, 2012 at 10:14 AM”

The Army in Iraq in 2004 did a weapons buyback in Baghdad. Muchtada al Sadr (leader of the Mehdi Army) and his Iranian contacts openly mocked us about it. The Iranians told him to have his guys turn in all their broken/INOP weapons and they (the Iranians) would outfit them with the latest and greatest for a nice price. Buybacks are stupid. You’ve got a bunch of oldsters that bring in some antiques and a bunch of criminals that bring in stuff (that’s mostly ineffective, a gangsta isn’t going to turn in a good gun!) that they’ve stolen from somewhere. The money goes to buying drugs or newer, better weapons.

John_G on December 21, 2012 at 11:55 AM