States examining their own gun-law options

posted at 7:41 pm on December 21, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

The states are already beginning to play out the battle between the “fewer guns means less crime” and “more guns means less crime” mentalities, and while Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder vetoed a bill that would have allowed for concealed carry in schools earlier this week, states like Virginia and Texas are starting to think the matter over — and a few other states are following suit.

A South Carolina House member introduced legislation there earlier this week. The Florida legislator who wrote the state’s “Stand Your Ground” law and an Arizona gun rights group have also proposed arming trained teachers

“In our zealousness to protect people from harm we’ve created all these gun-free zones and what we’ve inadvertently done is we’ve made them a target,” Florida GOP Rep. Dennis Baxley told the AP. “A helpless target is exactly what a deranged person is looking for where they cannot be stopped.” …

Advocates of arming school staffers argue opponents are sensationalizing the issue, and insist no Rubicon is crossed when a gun is brought into a school. In Michigan, it is legal to carry a pistol in schools — as long as the weapon isn’t concealed. Patterson pointed out several school districts in Texas have armed police forces. And Utah, Oregon and New Hampshire already allow concealed carry in schools, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. …

And here’s another smattering of examples of the conversations currently getting started across the country, via the NYDY:

MINNESOTA: Gov. Mark Dayton, a Democrat, says he’ll listen to “anything and everything.” But, “There’s a limit to what society can do to protect people from their own folly.” …

OKLAHOMA: Two Republican lawmakers have called for teachers or school personnel who receive special training to be armed. Legislative leaders have sidestepped questions on the proposals. …

TENNESSEE: A Republican lawmaker has called for adults on campus to be armed. …

UTAH: Republican attorney general reaffirmed support for existing law that allows concealed weapons on public property, including schools.

Various other states are wondering whether to institute more gun control, including their own state-specific “assault” weapons bans, with New York Gov. Cuomo especially leading the gung-ho charge on that one:

Mr. Cuomo, speaking on WGDJ-AM, said gun control had not recently been among the most discussed topics in the capital, so he had reached out to lawmakers to gauge where they stood before he made his proposals final.

He added that he was focusing his attention on changing state laws restricting the possession of assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines. The governor described the state’s existing ban on those items as having “more holes than Swiss cheese.” …

In the interview, Mr. Cuomo did not offer specifics about the measures he might propose, but, while discussing assault weapons, he said: “Confiscation could be an option. Mandatory sale to the state could be an option. Permitting could be an option — keep your gun but permit it.”

While all of these governors and legislatures consider the options that are best for their state in the coming days, I would merely point out that Connecticut having some of the strictest gun laws in the country didn’t do anything to stop last week’s murderous rampage.

Comments

I’d go further — and say that Connecticut made the Sandy Hook massacre possible.

unclesmrgol on December 21, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Perry and Austin, don’t mess with our 2nd! I know you won’t and I feel safe here knowing we can have our means and the bad guys know it!
L

letget on December 21, 2012 at 7:46 PM

also Connecticut is racist. They only put metal detectors in inner city schools

Slade73 on December 21, 2012 at 7:46 PM

also

Connecticut gives out SS#’s to Kenyans

Slade73 on December 21, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Cuomo is a fascist.

catmman on December 21, 2012 at 7:48 PM

I support any law that makes Red states more unfriendly hostile to Liberals.

Charlemagne on December 21, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Say, isn’t that the fellow with the red hot lead fetish?

Bmore on December 21, 2012 at 7:50 PM

How people live in NY
is beyond me.
Ahhh..why you flock to Fl
and make it shite.

bazil9 on December 21, 2012 at 7:51 PM

When I see a picture of my governor, why do I always think of Chico Marx?

Wander on December 21, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I support any law that makes Red states more unfriendly hostile to Liberals.

Charlemagne on December 21, 2012 at 7:49 PM

As a citizen of a red state I wish liberals were required to obtain a visa to visit.

That day has not yet arrived.

Cody1991 on December 21, 2012 at 7:55 PM

400K people a year are moving to TX, they are going to mess up that state the same way the NEers are changing the demographics of FL!!!

CoffeeLover on December 21, 2012 at 7:55 PM

bazil9 on December 21, 2012 at 7:51 PM

As a resident of NY, I take offense. Maybe Fl was shite to begin with. :-P

ThePrez on December 21, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Geez, so m uch hate for us North Easterners………. Know what? F**K you too. :)

ThePrez on December 21, 2012 at 7:57 PM

1859.hoosing sides. States choosing whether or not they are going to keep their people enslaved to anti-gun garbage.

rayra on December 21, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Damned iPad auto-wash.

rayra on December 21, 2012 at 7:58 PM

First tyrant Bloomberg, now tyrant Cuomo.

Thank God for the 2nd Amendment!

RedRobin145 on December 21, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Can’t wait to see how many more effed up laws they’re gonna pass here in California.

BallisticBob on December 21, 2012 at 8:00 PM

ThePrez on December 21, 2012 at 7:56 PM

hmmm..Sorry-I don’t care. :)
NE relocating here in droves is a stain. Helps the purple hue.
But your a NY resident-stay and enjoy.

bazil9 on December 21, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I can guarantee Fl was shite to begin with. Juan Ponce de León was a d!ck

Slade73 on December 21, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Know what? F**K you too. :)

ThePrez on December 21, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Ahhh..there it is..
Go make a pizza or somethin’

bazil9 on December 21, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Many many schools already have an armed police presence and have not had any incidents of crime related to the guns themselves.
This idea that we cannot have an armed presence in a school is absurd considering that on a daily basis we encounter armed security somewhere almost every single day.

NeoKong on December 21, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Juan Ponce de León killed my father, he should prepare to die

Slade73 on December 21, 2012 at 8:08 PM

bazil9 on December 21, 2012 at 8:02 PM

NY yankees have been invading Florida for decades.

I also notice that gators are no longer an endangered species.

cozmo on December 21, 2012 at 8:09 PM

NeoKong on December 21, 2012 at 8:04 PM

We should put the TSA in charge of that.
/s

chewmeister on December 21, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Whoa. Cuomo dropped the C-bomb.

It’s irrational to rile up the citizenry over something that would have no effect on the crime rate. There’s no return on that violation of rights. Why do they do this? It really does seem to be all about getting us to submit to control.

juliesa on December 21, 2012 at 8:11 PM

chewmeister on December 21, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Gee, thanks bud.

You should have put the sarc tag first. Or, at the very least, a warning. You should see the mess I have to clean up.

cozmo on December 21, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Juan Ponce de León killed my father, he should prepare to die

Slade73 on December 21, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I LOL’ed. nicely played.

Lost in Jersey on December 21, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Why do they do this?

juliesa on December 21, 2012 at 8:11 PM

I’ve been asking myself that all week.

All I can think of is after a while of this, we would jump at the opportunity to accept something less.

cozmo on December 21, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Florida is the United States’ pen!s

Slade73 on December 21, 2012 at 8:14 PM

BallisticBob on December 21, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I don’t care what stupid laws they pass here in CA. I will not give up any of my guns or mags. Screwem!!

McCain Hater on December 21, 2012 at 8:14 PM

NeoKong on December 21, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Yeah, most of the screaming I heard today was what’s next? Malls and theaters and football games?

Well duh, don’t they ever go anywhere? Armed security is at all those venues, plus stores and office buildings. As we speak my husband and son are being wanded by armed security to get into the Spurs game.

juliesa on December 21, 2012 at 8:15 PM

bazil!!eleventy

:)~

Lost in Jersey on December 21, 2012 at 8:13 PM

thanks. Can’t lose with Princess Bride though

Slade73 on December 21, 2012 at 8:16 PM

We should insist that Bloomberg and the other big city mayors immediately do the one thing they have in their power to do – order their police forces to switch from semi-automatics to revolvers. Get their semi autos off the street.

The Buzz on December 21, 2012 at 8:16 PM

juliesa on December 21, 2012 at 8:15 PM

The only sport in America where the players must also pass through security before entering the premises.

cozmo on December 21, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Increased tackling awareness is key.

rogerb on December 21, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Suzanna Hupp, Texas, eighteen years ago. All you Texans should be proud of her.

a capella on December 21, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I’d go further — and say that Connecticut made the Sandy Hook massacre

possible.

unclesmrgol on December 21, 2012 at 7:43 PM

This. Gun free zones and the ACLU led to Newtown.

2lbsTest on December 21, 2012 at 8:19 PM

We should put the TSA in charge of that.

Actually, I’m surprised this hasn’t already happened. I’m also surprised the police union wasn’t all over the idea of having more cops patrol the schools.

Let the local school districts decide how they are going to secure their schools. Then, let the parents decide what schools they want to send their kids to.

Eleven on December 21, 2012 at 8:19 PM

a capella on December 21, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I remember that like it was yesterday.

cozmo on December 21, 2012 at 8:19 PM

This. Gun free zones and the ACLU led to Newtown.

2lbsTest on December 21, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Oh, and Piers Morgan.

2lbsTest on December 21, 2012 at 8:20 PM

cozmo on December 21, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Yes, that makes sense.
I can be a squish on some things, but guns are not one. I refuse to accept any new ban on any equipment that’s legal now. That’s my redline. I’ve always felt that way, but the more they talk about it, the more activist I get about it. I even bought an ugly black rifle yesterday, so Fluke them.

juliesa on December 21, 2012 at 8:21 PM

OT: Erika rules. Big asset for HA. I read her like I read Ed, AP, and Jazz on energy issues.

Her commentary is trenchant, pithy and witty, the magic combo.

petefrt on December 21, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Suzanna Hupp, Texas, eighteen years ago. All you Texans should be proud of her.

a capella on December 21, 2012 at 8:18 PM

She is awesome. If you read her book, you will come away with a renewed hatred for Chuck Shumer and some of our Dem state legislators. Fluke them too.

juliesa on December 21, 2012 at 8:23 PM

cozmo on December 21, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Indeed. fortunately the Spurs are usually the least thuggish team in the nation, while also winning like crazy. David Robinson is a city treasure.

juliesa on December 21, 2012 at 8:26 PM

This should be TATTOOED on the foreheads of some of these supposedly intelligent politicians.

GarandFan on December 21, 2012 at 8:32 PM

NY yankees have been invading Florida for decades.

I also notice that gators are no longer an endangered species.

cozmo on December 21, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I know..I have old school Fl Crackers in the familia.
between the lib NE and Central and S America-old Fl is gone.
Few places.
Go to SE Fl..you would swear your in the Bronx or another burro. Ernesto’s everywhere.
The deal in Fl..when you meet someone they always ask-Where are you from?
Rare to meet a native.
Texas has a flood as well.
heh..biggest jerk I know from NYC just moved to TX from Fl..for what? A job! lol..have fun

Disclaimer..I luv upstate NY’ers. Talkin’ about city freaks.
LOL@offended..the South gets trashed daily..and is hated. Sorry my empathy meter is low.
Yeah..being a Bi8ch..oh wells.

PS-enviro’s took care of the gators.
My mom had a baby gator walking down her sidewalk a year ago and called animal control. Everglades is another story.

Back OT-Blue state reaction vs Red. CT strict gun control didn’t work.
Neither did the mental health laws. Blues have no clues.

bazil9 on December 21, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Just a reminder: SoS is third in succession line for President.

davidk on December 21, 2012 at 8:33 PM

bazil9 on December 21, 2012 at 8:32 PM

What is an “old school cracker?”

davidk on December 21, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Just a reminder: SoS is third in succession line for President.

davidk on December 21, 2012 at 8:33 PM

And, VP is first.

a capella on December 21, 2012 at 8:36 PM

What is an “old school cracker?”

davidk on December 21, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Look up Florida Cracker.

bazil9 on December 21, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Why don’t red state just mandate concealed carry for every able bodied person? Or better yet, introduce a tax for not carrying. Didn’t John Roberts say it’s okay if the tax is low enough? More budget money, more guns around, less violent crime, less liberals. Quadruple win?

Archivarix on December 21, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Since these libs are so much in favor of gun control, I imagine most don’t own guns and those that do will soon turn them in. They wouldn’t want to appear hypocritical would they?

I can see it now. These zealots,armed with bricks and rocks (like the Palestinians),coming to confiscate our guns It doesn’t sound like a winning proposition to me.

iamsaved on December 21, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Archivarix on December 21, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I was telling my wife, the school security situation could be resolved at little or no cost, simply by using very well screened, trained civilian manpower as first line defenders. Lots of qualified retired guys who would be suitable as unpaid volunteers, but, it would never fly. Too much obstruction from the bureacrats, school boards, and gun fearing parents.

a capella on December 21, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Right. Not like the left is sensationalizing anything.

JellyToast on December 21, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Leftists like Cuomo don’t even ask if their plans are Constitutional anymore. And they wonder why people are arming up.

jawkneemusic on December 21, 2012 at 9:13 PM

As a resident of NY, I take offense. Maybe Fl was shite to begin with. :-P

As a cracker who left Florida because of the damn yankees (especially the snowbirds from New York) I can tell you it wasn’t.
A common saying in Fl was, “We don’t care how you did it up north”, because we got tired of hearing yankees say “We didn’t do it that way in {yankeeland}” when we did things differently than they did it in the socialist s**thole they ran away from.

single stack on December 21, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Gee, thanks bud.

cozmo on December 21, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Hey man, the sarc tag was there. If you didn’t see that, I can’t help it.

chewmeister on December 21, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Whoa. Cuomo dropped the C-bomb.

juliesa on December 21, 2012 at 8:11 PM

It IS. They’re totalitarian statists. it is ENTIRELY about control. And you can’t control an armed polity. The 2nd Amendment was created to thwart these sort of people, it’s why they are leaning so hard on this. THis is their chance, in their view, to undo the last 236 years and snuff Freedom again.

/scratch a liberal and find a fascist

rayra on December 21, 2012 at 9:47 PM

U.S. Constitution – Article 1 Section 9,

No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.

You try to take away the firearms we’ve legally purchased, via an ex post facto law change, and true Americans should endeavour to kill you with them when you come for them.

That is the very essence of the Second Amendment. It isn’t about hunting or sport or even self-defense. It is about opposing tyrants. And violators of the Constitution, violators of their oaths to support, defend and uphold our Constitution, are TYRANTS.

rayra on December 21, 2012 at 9:58 PM

“Gun control? It’s the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I’m a bad guy, I’m always gonna have a gun. Safety locks? You will pull the trigger with a lock on, and I’ll pull the trigger. We’ll see who wins.”

― Sammy “the Bull” Gravano

can_con on December 21, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Mario Cuomo swore to uphold the Constitution when he took the oath of office for NY Governor in 1983

Andrew Cuomo swore to uphold the Constitution when he took the oath of office for NY Governor in Jan 2011.

Tyrants. Dynastic political families. They are the biggest blight on American politics. In ALL parties. That and crusty old power mongers that have held office for 30yrs+. They ALL have to go, if America is to prosper.

rayra on December 21, 2012 at 10:03 PM

rayra on December 21, 2012 at 9:58 PM

A more subtle way to put it is: I’ll give them my ammo before I surrender my firearms – one round at a time.

GWB on December 21, 2012 at 10:17 PM

true. but being too subtle has left us with an ignorant polity. most of the public is grossly ignorant on the super-surplus of standing anti-gun laws, the distinguishing technical aspects of the arms themselves, Constitutional matters. The 2nd Amendment is at best ignored in public schools today. At worst they outright lie about its nature and interpretation. Just look at our leftist idiots here the last few days, ‘muskets only’, ‘state-controlled militias’, ‘regulated means infringed [despite it saying Shall Not Be Infringed]‘. ‘Subtle’ has let the Left LIE about firearms for two generations.
My biggest beef with the NRA in the 90s was their utter failure to run a public information campaign about what a fraud the “assault weapons” mantra was. And IS, since they’ve failed to educate the masses since the ’94 AWB was enacted. An entire generation of failure to counter the Left’s lies. SO here we are.
They did their admirable and successful ‘Eddie Eagle’ program for young kids, offered free to schools, but leftist-union teachers won’t use it. Hell they banish children for pointing their finger and shouting ‘bang’. For wearing gun manufacturer branded clothing. Rank indoctrination such that the moderne liberal almost pisses themselves when they handle a firearm for the first time. Programed to fear the object.

rayra on December 21, 2012 at 11:51 PM

We established however some, although not all its [self-government] important principles . The constitutions of most of our States assert, that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves, in all cases to which they think themselves competent, (as in electing their functionaries executive and legislative, and deciding by a jury of themselves, in all judiciary cases in which any fact is involved,) or they may act by representatives, freely and equally chosen; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed;
—Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. Memorial Edition 16:45, Lipscomb and Bergh, editors.

No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
—Thomas Jefferson: Draft Virginia Constitution, 1776.

Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States. A military force, at the command of Congress, can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power, and jealousy will instantly inspire the inclination, to resist the execution of a law which appears to them unjust and oppressive.
—Noah Webster, An Examination of the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution (Philadelphia 1787).

Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American…[T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people.
—Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

[W]hen the resolution of enslaving America was formed in Great Britain, the British Parliament was advised by an artful man, who was governor of Pennsylvania, to disarm the people; that it was the best and most effectual way to enslave them; but that they should not do it openly, but weaken them, and let them sink gradually…I ask, who are the militia? They consist of now of the whole people, except a few public officers. But I cannot say who will be the militia of the future day. If that paper on the table gets no alteration, the militia of the future day may not consist of all classes, high and low, and rich and poor…
—George Mason

“And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …”
Samuel Adams
quoted in the Philadelphia Independent Gazetteer, August 20, 1789, “Propositions submitted to the Convention of this State”

“Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that’s good.”
George Washington
First President of the United States

“What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms.”
Thomas Jefferson
to James Madison

rayra on December 22, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Who in their right mind would want to live in either New York or California? It is amazing to me how those states are filled with voters who willingly vote away their freedoms.

I hate it. I hate seeing what has happened to this country. I sometimes wish I was younger so I have no frame of reference as to what this country used to be. Ignorance is bliss.

The Notorious G.O.P on December 22, 2012 at 2:13 AM

We should insist that Bloomberg and the other big city mayors immediately do the one thing they have in their power to do order their police forces to switch from semi-automatics to revolvers. Get their semi autos off the street.

They switched TO semis because they were outgunned by the bad guys. Just another example of “Let’s make the criminals stronger.”

Mr. Grump on December 22, 2012 at 6:17 AM

I don’t live in NY for many reasons. My folks do though. I might receive a shipment of BLACK GUNS from my folks though before NY gets more stupid than they ever have been

TX-96 on December 22, 2012 at 7:30 AM

There is a reason I often call the State I was born in: The People’s Republic of New York.

High taxes, so many rules and prohibitions that you have a problem untangling just what can and can’t be done, and an overweaning sense that if you are doing anything that is fun then the State should control it and tax it. The D’s are fascists, the R’s are D-lites, the Conservative Party is a small box of animal crackers and the University system is infested with leftists.

And I’m from Upstate NY.

Nothing wrong with NY State that a separation of NY City and Long Island from Upper York wouldn’t fix to turn it into a decent, semi-rural State with lots of small towns and medium sized cities. The people of upstate are great! Their politics is over-ridden by NYC-Albany axis members and their deceitful party apparatchiks put out in the hinterlands of non-metro areas… and the small mafia D machines in more than a few locales…

I remember our car getting pulled over after a family vacation in CA… they were checking for… firecrackers. I kid you not. And that was in the early 1970′s. Luckily the local grapevine ran down to PA and OH for such things.

ajacksonian on December 22, 2012 at 9:03 AM

South Dakota state reps discussing arms for teachers who are comfortable with it.

LetsBfrank on December 22, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Dear Gov. Dayton, how ’bout protecting us from the mentally ill and criminals instead of our own folly. (Whatever you mean by that comment.) Gov. Cuomo, go sit in a corner and read the constitution until you understand it and esp the 2ndA. You are the reason so many of us are standing in line at the gun counter at the local sporting goods stores. I think arming some of the staff at schools is a good start to protecting those inside, but the nuts will pick another soft target. See the mall shooting in Portland and then look at how that outcome was effected.

Kissmygrits on December 22, 2012 at 9:04 AM

I have to ask this one question to these politicians, as moronic as it may sound.

If one week ago on Friday, Adam Lanza had gone charging into the Sandy Hook Elementary School armed with a high-powered crossbow, a Ka-bar knife, and a homemade spear, would we be having this insane out of control debate on guns right now, or would we be actively discussing the real cause of what happened, namely the problem of mental illness in this country?

pilamaye on December 22, 2012 at 9:14 AM

What this article tells me is that the gun issue may be more of a battle over the 10th amendment rather than the 2nd amendment.

I’m all for letting states decide for themselves on how to address the gun violence issue. That won’t sit well with the Whitehouse. But too bad.

Cheetah1956 on December 22, 2012 at 10:02 AM

As a resident of NY, I take offense. Maybe Fl was shite to begin with. :-P

single stack on December 21, 2012 at 9:15 PM

What “single stack” wrote ^^.

All I can say is that No Name Key is now TRASH PILEUP KEY after the “snowbirds” discovered they could drive their NY Winnebegos over there and dump their trash along the roadway to avoid paying the nominal trash-dump fee to rid themselves of their garbage.

Central Florida was once a paradise. Truly, a paradise. Miles upon miles upon miles of range, palms, big sky and clean sky, lakes, creeks, homesteads, nice people…

It’s been ruined by people from Middle America and the Upper East Coast, Florida has. Ruined.

Lourdes on December 22, 2012 at 10:53 AM

And Governor Cuomo’s remarks and intents are outrageous. He’s incompetent to public service. Outrageous bastardization he expresses as to our Constitutional rights.

Lourdes on December 22, 2012 at 10:55 AM

pilamaye on December 22, 2012 at 9:14 AM

That’s an excellent point you make, pilamaye.

The Left is having a big problem trying to “outlaw Adam Lanza” and his state of mind or not “outlaw Adam Lanza”…

because the issue is Lanza’s state of mind, not the weapons he used or might have used, but that he’d use weapons, whatever he could grab and did.

Lourdes on December 22, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Mr Cuomo needs to read both Heller and McDonald. He has no authority to confiscate guns. The Court has spoken and individuals have a right to bear arms and to defend themselves. Neither the Federal government nor the states can infringe upon those rights, as they are laid out in the decisions.

And, for the record for those that see a white people/NRA love guns because they are afraid of black people, an argument that has been making the rounds on the Left, both of the original plaintiffs in the biggest two Second Amendment cases in decades or ever were both African-Americans. Shelley Parker was the original plaintiff in the Heller case. Otis McDonald was the plaintiff in McDonald. Ms Parker lived in the gun-banned/crime-ridden Washington DC. Mr McDonald lives in the gun-banned/crime-ridden city of Chicago. The NRA was asked to join in and declined.

Resist We Much on December 22, 2012 at 12:47 PM

The Notorious G.O.P on December 22, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Tell me about it. You have no idea how much it hurts to have been the last generation to have grown up with reasonable expectations of prosperity, and then have them destroyed permanently shortly after entering adulthood.

The worst part is there’s no real force for repairing the damage. The Tea Party didn’t change jack and the GOP went through a list of losers before settling on white-Obama-lite, who unexpectedly failed to bring people a-cheering. Libertarians just want their weed, and conservatives in general are either outnumbered outright or pretty close to it.

MelonCollie on December 22, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Yes. 400,000 a year are moving to Texas. Most of them are conservatives running away running from liberal stupidity.

Hammie on December 22, 2012 at 5:43 PM

When I see a picture of my governor, why do I always think of Chico Marx?

Wander on December 21, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I am offended by your slander of a comic genius.

oldleprechaun on December 22, 2012 at 9:55 PM