Dukakis: No, I won’t take Kerry’s interim Senate seat opening

posted at 9:11 pm on December 17, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

It’s looking increasingly likely that Sen. John Kerry has the nomination for secretary of State pretty well locked up, and in the event that he steps down, Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick will have to appoint an interim replacement to steward his Senate seat before the Bay State can hold a special election later this spring or summer. Ed wondered this morning if we mightn’t be looking at another failed presidential candidate as Kerry’s placeholder in the meantime, but according to Dukakis himself, that won’t be the case. Via CBS News:

Former Gov. Michael Dukakis says he will not be a candidate for appointment as interim senator should Sen. John Kerry resign to accept appointment as secretary of state.

In a brief State House interview, Dukakis told WBZ News: “I’m headed for the West to teach,” alluding to his annual spring-semester teaching duties at UCLA. “That’s a no,” said Dukakis in reference to a possible appointment by Gov. Deval Patrick to fill the seat until a special election can be held. Dukakis also said he had not been contacted by the governor’s office in regard to a possible appointment.

So, “that’s a no” for that former governor, but CNN has more on some of the possible candidates for both the temporary appointment and/or the special election. And, for any Scott Brown fans in the audience, “we may obviously meet again”; it wouldn’t be his first successful special election, but probably an uphill battle after his rough loss to Elizabeth Warren:

Comments

Strange that I remember him with a helmet riding on a tank

lm10001 on December 17, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Dukakis has more important things to do, like saving the world from people who park badly.

Mark1971 on December 17, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Wow! I don’t know if I’m more concerned about him being an interim Senator, or teaching a bunch of our kids at UCLA….

StarLady on December 17, 2012 at 9:19 PM

That’s all they got…?

Seven Percent Solution on December 17, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I’m so tired of all these retreads.

As long as the country is going to he// why not appoint Barney Frank’s boyfriend, girlfriend or husband? Whatever he prefers to be called…

Why not? Mass. is a joke. Let’s have some fun.

Cody1991 on December 17, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Barney Frank for Senate!

Mark1971 on December 17, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Dude’s almost 80.

CW on December 17, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Mike “The Tank” Dukakis?

Is he still around?

Hasn’t been invited to too many Dem conventions of late.

coldwarrior on December 17, 2012 at 9:27 PM

DUKAKIS OR KERRY!!!!! KERRY OR DUKAKIS OR–

zzzzzzzzzzz…

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 17, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Dukakis: No, I won’t take Kerry’s interim Senate seat opening

After a moment’s thought, I have to give Mike more credit than I’ve ever thought I ever would.

coldwarrior on December 17, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Why not? Mass. is a joke. Let’s have some fun.

Cody1991 on December 17, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I live in MA and it’s not funny.

rik on December 17, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I am crushed, crushed I tell ya…/

Scrumpy on December 17, 2012 at 9:59 PM

And no more questions about my wife, either.

platypus on December 17, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I can’t remember a thing the man said but I do remember the ad with the tank and the helmet!!!! lol

CoffeeLover on December 17, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Erika, Brown will have the upper hand in a special (so long as gets reasonable money support.) All of the Brain Dead POTUS Year Only Barry Voters that carried Warren across the finish line will not be there this time.

cdog0613 on December 17, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Dukakis: No, I won’t take Kerry’s interim Senate seat opening

…it’s not good for his hemorrhoids!

KOOLAID2 on December 17, 2012 at 10:39 PM

That picture of Kerry needs to be part of a caption contest.

My offer: “I made doody.”

Red Cloud on December 17, 2012 at 10:59 PM

No matter what Massachusetts will do the wrong thing. I have faith in them to screw it up.

DAT60A3 on December 18, 2012 at 6:11 AM

Is there a virus going around in the broadcast news industry or does managment merely recruit the most inane individuals they can find?

georgeofthedesert on December 19, 2012 at 10:57 AM