Breaking: Haley to pick Scott to replace DeMint in Senate

posted at 10:04 am on December 17, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Welcome, my friends, to the least surprising political news of the week.  Nikki Haley will appoint Rep. Tim Scott to replace Senator Jim DeMint in the US Senate, making Scott the upper chamber’s only African-American member, and give him a boost in the 2014 special election for the rest of DeMint’s term:

Multiple media sources are reporting that South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley will indeed name Rep. Tim Scott to be the next senator from South Carolina.

Scott will serve for two years, and then presumably run in a special election in 2014. If reelected, he would serve an additional two years (the remaining two years of the six-year term Jim DeMint was elected to in 2010) and then potentially run again for a full-six year term in 2016.

Also from Brother Jim at NRO comes this piece of ironic trivia:

The Charlotte Observer picked up the story a few minutes ago as well:

U.S. Rep. Tim Scott, who overcame poverty in North Charleston to build a successful business and political career, will be appointed today by Gov. Nikki Haley to the U.S. Senate seat vacated by Republican Jim DeMint, The New York Times and CNN reported this morning.

Haley has scheduled a noon news conference to announce her pick. DeMint and U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham, a Republican from Seneca, are scheduled to attend.

That makes a lot of sense; DeMint reportedly went to bat for Scott as his replacement, and he’s likely to cheer the decision as the new head of the Heritage Foundation.  His blessing will be seen as an important key for Haley.

That means that Haley will have to call a special election for Scott’s soon-to-be vacant seat.  The election will have to be held in 18 weeks, with a primary in 11 weeks.  Can SC-01 produce another clear conservative to replace Scott?  We will soon find out.  Regardless, this is a great choice for Haley, even if it was the only obvious choice.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Sure it was the obvious choice. But don’t tell me the GOP didn’t have it in them to screw this one up. Thankfully the right guy was selected.

BTW, try spinning this one, Democrat-media complex. An Indian-American Republican governor selects a black Republican Congressman to fill a vacant Senate seat in South Carolina.

Doughboy on December 17, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Should have picked Trey Gowdy. But oh well.

On the tragic loss of 20 innocent children.

SWalker on December 17, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Whoop! Feel sorry for the guy though, he’s going to be brutilized by the tolerant left.

ctmom on December 17, 2012 at 10:09 AM

This dude needs to thank Obamas reelection campaign. No way he gets this gig otherwise. We’ll see if it has any impact on black voters in SC. I doubt it as there is a fundamental political disjuncture between most black voters and conservatism. I’m glad that many around here are getting it, instead of claiming black voters only vote for the guy with more melanin,

Doughboy on December 17, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Liberal Media: South is still racist or something.

In Louisiana, the Governor is an Indian-American Republican, Lt. Governor and Attorney General are Jewish Republicans.

Georgia, the Attorney General is a Jewish Republican.

Libtard response: South is racist or something.

sentinelrules on December 17, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I was off 4 years (I thought that he would take DeMint’s seat after the latter completed a full term), but if you are interested in learning a little about Tim Scott…

You Heard It Here First: Senator Tim Scott 2016!!!

Tim Scott was my “Most Likely to Succeed” in the Class of 2010 House. He’s awesome.

Resist We Much on December 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM

My new senator.As a resident of SC this makes me proud.A descendant of slaves now a US senator representing the very state that stared the civil war and the only black in the US Senate.He is also a strong Conservative.God,s speed Tim Scott.

logman1 on December 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

This is such good news. Go get em Senator Scott.

gophergirl on December 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Should have picked Trey Gowdy. But oh well.

SWalker on December 17, 2012 at 10:08 AM

From my understanding, there wasn’t much difference between the two.

Heard Gowdy on the radio last week praising the other candidates and Scott the most.

cozmo on December 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

sentinelrules on December 17, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Current Speaker of the Texas house is a Jewish Republican.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I think Scott should thank the Tea Party way before he thanks Obama.

Tea Party supported him in the 2010 primary. Tea Party governor appoints him to a Senate. Tea Party Jim DeMint wanted him as his successor.

Oh, and looking at Scott’s biography, no mention of him being a 20+ year member of Rev. Jeremiah Wright’s Church of Hate and Bigotry.

sentinelrules on December 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Wow, and combined with Sarah Palin’s inspiring Column of the Day, I’d say that the Reagan Wing of the GOP may be ready to come out of its funk.

Bravo for Nikki Haley. She just secured her reelection.

victor82 on December 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Need more business owners in the senate. Especially those that had a hard route.

Racist.

MechanicalBill on December 17, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Stephen Colbert hardest hit.

KS Rex on December 17, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Welcome, my friends, to the least surprising political news of the week.

Oh! I disagree. The rush by the left to attack gun ownership was far more predictable. Saturday’s paper and MSM coverage was filled with the same old talking points concerning the Second Amendment, clip sizes, and ammo. The slaying in Newtown was just an excuse for the same old arguments to be dusted off even though the actual facts remain murky at best.

Congratulations to Rep. Tim Scott! I had confidence that Gov. Haley would make the obvious choice. Perhaps you can start a Senate black caucus with all your African-American Dem colleagues! Oh wait. And BTW, it appears that if Kerry leaves the Senate he is going to be replaced by an old white female.

Happy Nomad on December 17, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I am certain that MSNBC can find the racist element here.
They are experts in uncovering the secret and subtle racism of Republicans.

NeoKong on December 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM

And right on time, the “color blind” liberals show up and tell us this is just a token appointment. In their world, “color blind” means blind to anything but color.

CurtZHP on December 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Breaking: Haley to pick Scott to replace DeMint in Senate

Conservative4Ever on December 17, 2012 at 10:19 AM

sentinelrules on December 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

WaPo: Not black enough for us. Racists!

Archivarix on December 17, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Oh, PUHLEASE….

I’ll leave you with this factoid: In 2010, Tim Scott became the first Republican African-American Representative from South Carolina since 1901. What makes Tim Scott’s election so telling is that the 1st Congressional District was a Democratic stronghold after the Reconstruction era due to the disfranchisement of African-American citizens in 1896 under the new state constitution and stayed that way through most of the 20th century.

It has, in the past, been represented by Democrat Segregationists. For example, L Mendel Rivers served for 3 decades and voted against every civil rights bill, and joined the entire South Carolina delegation in signing the Southern Manifesto in 1954. He attempted to have Charleston Federal judge, Waities Waring, impeached for having ruled that blacks had to be allowed to vote in the Democratic primary and that segregated schools were unconstitutional. When President Truman integrated the U.S. Army in 1948, Rivers called him a “dead chicken” and a “bankrupt politician.”

Anyhoo, Tim Scott ran against Strom Thurmond’s son, Paul, in the Republican primary. Again, Tim is black. Paul is white. In this South Carolina district that you undoubtedly would claim is full of white racists, if you’re Chrissy Matthews, Congressman Scott received twice as many votes as Paul Thurmond, the son of a state legend, who actually was a segregationist. Given the love Progressives have for them, I’m sure that idiots like Chris Matthews and Laurence O’Donnell would claim that “Thurmond” could be a “dog-whistle.” You know, something like “vote for me and I’ll be a racist like my dad and Al Gore’s father. I’ll make sure that we cut those welfare queens off of the teat and your tax dollars!” Hint, hint. Wink, wink.

When given one last chance to “vote for the white guy and stop the n-word,” the people of the 1st Congressional District of South Carolina voted for the black guy and buried the white Democrat by a margin of 65 to 29 percent. There’s only one word to describe that beating: B-R-U-T-A-L.

How bad of a beating was it? Consider this: Alvin Greene lost to Senator Jim DeMint by a margin of 63% to 28%.

The black Tim Scott beat the white Democrat by a larger margin than the white Senator, Jim DeMint, beat the black Alvin Greene.

Tim Scott owes exactly NOTHING to Barack Hussein Obama II and EVERYTHING to his family, friends, and the VOTERS of the FIRST CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT of SOUTH CAROLINA, who are OVERWHELMINGLY WHITE.

Resist We Much on December 17, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Congrats Senator Scott!

hawkdriver on December 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I wonder which term the sensitive left will first use against Senator Scott in the next few days; will it be “cornball brother”, “Oreo”, or the perennial favorite “house negr0″?

Place your bets.

Bishop on December 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM

One of my succesful picks to send funds to in 2010. I did pretty well picking them that year. Starr Parker stood out as the only one that got creamed.

DanMan on December 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I am certain that MSNBC can find the racist element here.
They are experts in uncovering the secret and subtle racism of Republicans.

NeoKong on December 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Ain’t that the truth. I can hear the dog whistle now.

D-fusit on December 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Place your bets.

Bishop on December 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I’ll take “token” and “Uncle Tom” for $20.

Archivarix on December 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Baloney.

changer1701 on December 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Bishop on December 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM

It will be house negro after token black has been worn out Bishop.

DanMan on December 17, 2012 at 10:23 AM

What about Colbert? /

Mr. Prodigy on December 17, 2012 at 10:23 AM

CurtZHP on December 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Yep, and it makes their whining about Susan Rice even more ridiculous.

Scott owes nothing to the Dems and in particular, BO. There’s a huge difference….. Tim Scott is competent.

I live in SC, and I would have been happy with either Gowdy or Scott. Jenny Sanford? No thanks. She’s a capable person, but she doesn’t deserve it. The same goes for her errant former husband.

Congratulations to Tim Scott!!

Cody1991 on December 17, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Y’all are ruining the surprise!!!!!

Cindy Munford on December 17, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Should have picked Trey Gowdy. But oh well.

SWalker on December 17, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Gowdy’s actually stronger statewide. Ergo, he’d be better off making a run at Grahamnesty, who can be cleanly primaried.

KingGold on December 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I’m curious as to what Jason Whitlock has to say…

GOPRanknFile on December 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM

What – no Alvin Greene?

UltimateBob on December 17, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Rob Parker would like to comment. Oh wait…he can’t!

22044 on December 17, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Baloney.

changer1701 on December 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Why do stupid leftists always want to take credit for the wise decisions of others, especially when race is involved?

0bama to thank? Yeah, right.

UltimateBob on December 17, 2012 at 10:27 AM

What – no Alvin Greene?

UltimateBob on December 17, 2012 at 10:25 AM

“Another thing we can do for jobs is make toys of me, especially for the holidays. Little dolls. Me. Like maybe little action dolls. Me in an army uniform, air force uniform, and me in my suit. They can make toys of me and my vehicle, especially for the holidays and Christmas for the kids. That’s something that would create jobs. So you see I think out of the box like that. It’s not something a typical person would bring up. That’s something that could happen, that makes sense. It’s not a joke.”

– Democratic Candidate for Senate, Alvin Green

Quick question: Have Alvin Green and libfreeordie ever been seen in the same room at the same time?

Resist We Much on December 17, 2012 at 10:28 AM

libfreeordie on December 17, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Bullcrap. He’s more than qualified for the job. Would Trey Gowdy have been an equally solid pick? Absolutely. But Tim Scott is not some token selection. Dude has a great personal story and is one of those rare politicians in the GOP who can bridge the gap between the Tea Party wing and the establishment types.

Doughboy on December 17, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I am certain that MSNBC can find the racist element here.

NeoKong on December 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM

They will be bi+ching that she didn’t pick the more qualified and supremely eloquent Alvin Greene.

UltimateBob on December 17, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Place your bets.

Bishop on December 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM

The libs will give him the Clarence Thomas treatment and once again illustrate how deranged they truly are.

Cody1991 on December 17, 2012 at 10:29 AM

SWalker on December 17, 2012 at 10:08 AM

From my understanding, there wasn’t much difference between the two.

cozmo on December 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Scott is a good choice, no doubt, my preference for Gowdy stems from his tenacious questioning in the Fast and Furious hearings.

SWalker on December 17, 2012 at 10:08 AM

KingGold on December 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Interesting observation, I guess we will get to see how that plays out.

SWalker on December 17, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Chris Matthews to rant: “Scott? Isn’t that a paper or tissue brand of some sort. Scott tissue, yeah. Who are the Repuplicans tring to fool. Aren’t tissue paper and napkins usually white. Isn’t this again some sort of deplorable racist dog whistle? How low will these guys stoop?”

GreenBlade on December 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Rob Parker would like to comment. Oh wait…he can’t!

22044 on December 17, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Oops! I meant to say Rob Parker…not Jason Whitlock. I got my controversies mixed up. Both idiots nonetheless.

GOPRanknFile on December 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Resist We Much on December 17, 2012 at 10:28 AM

BWWWWWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Good one.

I need to learn not to be sipping coffee while reading the comments at Hot Air.

UltimateBob on December 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM

– Democratic Candidate for Senate, Alvin Green

Resist We Much on December 17, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Are you sure that’s the right attribution for that quote? I thought it was BO?!

/////

Cody1991 on December 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I won’t reply to the troll here but I would say thanks to Jim Demint. I wish he could have stayed but appreciation is in order for recommending a successor who will be great.

22044 on December 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Bravo for Nikki Haley. She just secured her reelection.

victor82 on December 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

We just have to dispose of RINO trash like Bohenor first, who are more than eager to destroy the Reagan Wing.

Myron Falwell on December 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM

GOPRanknFile on December 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Heh – I didn’t see it…Jason Whitlock would have an opinion nevertheless, and I agree, it would be wrong. :)

22044 on December 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Rob Parker would like to comment. Oh wait…he can’t!

22044 on December 17, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Heh. Rob Parker’s probably being interviewed by MSNBC as we speak to take a primetime slot. (“Parker and Toure,” anyone?) :P

Myron Falwell on December 17, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Resist We Much on December 17, 2012 at 10:28 AM

BWWWWWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Good one.

I need to learn not to be sipping coffee while reading the comments at Hot Air.

UltimateBob on December 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Good one…! But I think Alvin Greene is smarter!

22044 on December 17, 2012 at 10:36 AM

libfreeordie on December 17, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Don’t you mean there’s a fundamental disjuncture between most black voters and the lies they believe (and are fed daily by liberals) about the Republican party?

gwelf on December 17, 2012 at 10:37 AM

libfreeordie on December 17, 2012 at 10:11 AM

You really are delusional, and are also one of the biggest race-baiters on this site. Your views are repugnant.

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on December 17, 2012 at 10:41 AM

HotAirian on December 17, 2012 at 10:47 AM

YESSSS!

WannabeAnglican on December 17, 2012 at 10:47 AM

libfreeordie on December 17, 2012 at 10:11 AM

…race…race…race…race…race….race…race…race…race…race…race…race…race…race…race…race…race…race…race…race…race…race…race…race…….THERE!…now you don’t have to post for the next day or two… turd!

KOOLAID2 on December 17, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Love it!!!! Great choice!!!!!!

skilletlicker on December 17, 2012 at 10:50 AM

By the way in 2010 Scott refused to join the Congressional Black Caucus. I guess he is just not one of their type?

SC.Charlie on December 17, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Does that mean he’ll be the first ‘cornball’ Senator ever?

Waiting for comment from ESPN in 5… 4…. 3…

HEAVY /s tag…

Khun Joe on December 17, 2012 at 10:55 AM

sentinelrules on December 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

The reports of the Tea Party’s death are greatly exaggerated…

ITguy on December 17, 2012 at 10:57 AM

This won’t sit well with the filth that is the Left.
I’m sure that they are already devising ways to destroy Scott.

justltl on December 17, 2012 at 10:57 AM

logman1 on December 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Leftmedia and LeftBlacks soon to start crying out, “he’s not REALLY one of us, he’s not REALLY Black…”

Lourdes on December 17, 2012 at 10:59 AM

By the way in 2010 Scott refused to join the Congressional Black Caucus…

SC.Charlie on December 17, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I like Mr. Scott.

Lourdes on December 17, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Just to bust liberal media chops and progressives everywhere, Scott ought to establish the Senate Black Caucus and issue press releases daily.

Dusty on December 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM

The reports of the Tea Party’s death are greatly exaggerated…

ITguy on December 17, 2012 at 10:57 AM

It’s South freaking Carolina. The state is hooker’s-lipstick red. (Thanks, Ace!)

This is not something to tout as some sort of accomplishment.

KingGold on December 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Place your bets.

Bishop on December 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM

We will never know because the MSM won’t report it.

Bruno Strozek on December 17, 2012 at 11:02 AM

If he can get a couple of years in the senate, he can run for President! Since he has business experience, he will actually have some qualifications.

Lily on December 17, 2012 at 11:02 AM

For those not up to date for who’s who in SC politics, this anyalyst piece is useless. Wasted my 3 min.

Who is Tim Scott? What does he stand for? Any conservative org ratings on Rep Scott, etc …… more relevant to the topic.

Sir Napsalot on December 17, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Ben K at AoSHQ has a great headline, and the first instance of the way the media progs (redundant, I know) will report it.

Dusty on December 17, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Sir Napsalot on December 17, 2012 at 11:09 AM

See my link above and read some of his own words.

Resist We Much on December 17, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I was actually getting quite irritated with all the rumors about Sanford’s wife. I’m about sick of the concept that has permeated society, that being married to someone somehow makes a spouse qualified to do the same thing. Enough of this BS

Scott was the only logical choice, and an historic one

I didn’t even realize the tidbit about this being Strom’s old seat– quite poetic, although I’m sure the media will actively ignore this little fact, as the do all inconvenient facts that contradict their narrative

Congratulations Sen Scott, I’m really excited about this, in an otherwise crappy election season

thurman on December 17, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Should prove to be a good choice.

Bmore on December 17, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Great choice Gov. Haley. Gods speed Senator Scott.

jake49 on December 17, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Dusty on December 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM

While I prefer color-blind politics, it would be quite awesome if Scott were to do that.

Socialists run the House Black Caucus, so it would be great for Scott to establish a Senate Black Caucus that stands for the exact opposite economic thought process.

It is time for mental slaves, regardless of skin color, to leave the Democrat plantation.

ITguy on December 17, 2012 at 11:25 AM

The reports of the Tea Party’s death are greatly exaggerated…

ITguy on December 17, 2012 at 10:57 AM

This is not something to tout as some sort of accomplishment.

KingGold on December 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM

You just don’t get it, do you?

ITguy on December 17, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Doughboy on December 17, 2012 at 10:08 AM

If we’d stop labeling and prefixing, no one would have to spin it.

Nutstuyu on December 17, 2012 at 11:28 AM

“…An Indian-American Republican-Woman governor selects a black Republican Congressman to fill a vacant Senate seat in South Carolina…”

FTFY!

Another Drew on December 17, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Dusty on December 17, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Raised by a single mother, he was, by his account, a lost child who struggled with school and with life until a Chick-fil-A franchise owner took him on as a protégé and schooled him in conservative principles.

All that and Chick-fil-A, too. The circle is complete.

scrubjay on December 17, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Current Speaker of the Texas house is a Jewish Republican.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Yep, and our Chief Justice of the state supreme court is a black Republican. Other justices are Hispanic, and female, and all are Republican.The Chief was in my sister’s law school class. She says he’s a great guy.

We shouldn’t have to to feel the need to defend ourselves on race constantly, but the accusations are made daily, and I’m fed up to here with them.

juliesa on December 17, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Yes yes yes yes yes!

Blaise on December 17, 2012 at 11:49 AM

We are awaiting Rob Parker’s commentary.

Hummer53 on December 17, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Just another “cornball brother”./
Taken from another site-How the MSM will report this:
“Southern Republican Governor removes African-American man from House of Representatives”.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on December 17, 2012 at 11:53 AM

he won’t be on ESPN anytime soon.

tomas on December 17, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Congratulations Senator Scott!

Buttercup on December 17, 2012 at 11:58 AM

live stream of Haley announcement

commodore on December 17, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Sens. Lindsey Graham and Tim Scott. Hmm. Think I’ve got the MSM headline:

SC Prejudiced Against Married Men!!

;)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 17, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I hope Edmund Ruffin gets a backache from turning over in his grave.

burt on December 17, 2012 at 12:07 PM

[scrubjay on December 17, 2012 at 11:35 AM]

Yeah, I surprised to see that.

Dusty on December 17, 2012 at 12:08 PM

juliesa on December 17, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Straus is likely getting replaced-but only because he’s a bit too squishy by TX GOP standards.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 17, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Place your bets.

Bishop on December 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I’m going with, “…is he down with the cause?”.

gravityman on December 17, 2012 at 12:22 PM

SC.Charlie on December 17, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Well then obviously he aint down with the cause. Must not be black enuf to get any support from da black community.

dentarthurdent on December 17, 2012 at 12:22 PM

libfreeordie on December 17, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Libcreep is playing the race card. I am shocked. Didn’t see that coming.

Gelsomina on December 17, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Tim Scott is already being bashed by the tolerant inclusive Progs on Twitter…

d1carter on December 17, 2012 at 12:29 PM

libfreeordie on December 17, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Shining example of left wing racism.

Daemonocracy on December 17, 2012 at 12:29 PM

libfreeordie on December 17, 2012 at 10:11 AM

You are nuts. Your writing has really deteriorated lately too. Your tortured sentence structure is almost impossible to understand. Not even sure what your point was, but in the event you are saying that we think black people always vote for black people, you are mistaken. If they are conservative black people who have been demonized by the media and the democrats, black people go for the white liberal. If your side could win by arguing the issues, we would find out what most black people would do, but that will never happen. Your side can’t afford that.

Night Owl on December 17, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Breaking: Haley to pick Scott to replace DeMint in Senate.

I welcome this news on this Monday. I wanted either
Scott or Gowdy.

ToddPA on December 17, 2012 at 12:36 PM

How likely is it that Deval Patrick will appoint himself to John Kerry’s seat when Kerry is confirmed as Secretary of State? After all, we can’t have the only African-American senator be a REPUBLICAN, now can we?

Turn MD Red on December 17, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Place your bets.

Bishop on December 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I’ll take Senate Minstrels for 2000 Alex

Slade73 on December 17, 2012 at 12:42 PM

“I’ve coached youth sports for years and had a few kids with gay parents,” said Mr. Montzka, 53. “As far as I’m concerned, if it works for them, it’s O.K. with me.”

Works for whom? Laying aside the biological impossibility of what he claims to have observed, what exactly is the test he’s proposing–that the children of these “families” aren’t, say, calling their legislators and demanding to be placed in foster care?

TexasDan on December 17, 2012 at 12:43 PM